Hobbituk's Homely House (v 3.0)

Need a hand learning the ropes? Come here and find an experienced poster to adopt you! Visit the First Stop thread for a list of all those currently involved in the mentoring process and their interests and areas.

Hobbituk's Homely House (v 3.0)

Postby Hobbituk » Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:17 pm

Hello and welcome to all!

My name is Hobbituk but my friends call me Hobbi!

This is my adoption thread which I have been running for a couple of years now. It's a place where I help out where I can in answering any questions my adoptees may have in regards to this amazing (and sometimes confusing) place called TORC (TheOneRing.com as it was formerly known) and making yet more fantastic friends!

So, if you want to be adopted by me, it doesn't matter who you are, you don't need to read the whole thread...just jump in and say hi!

To tell you a little about me, Im 23 years old and live in Edinburgh, although I'm originally from Yorkshire. In my spare time, when I am not at TORC, I read and write more than is good for me and I play drums in various bands.

I like to check out just about every area I can but the majority of my posts are made in The Bird and Baby. I can also be spotted from time to time in the Movies forums and also Books. TORC means a lot to me, so much so that I have even met many members of this website face to face (well over 40 at the last count!)

so, if you want any help off a little hobbit who has been posting on this website for over four years, then come on in to my warm and homely house, make yourself comfortable, put your feet up and lets have a bit of a chinwag!

Hobbi's Adoptees Are...

1. Byronie
2. Daughter_of_Arwen
3. ~Eoweniel~
4. Tar-Vanimelde
5. icclehobbit
6. LadyHawke
7. Asanorain
8. Kyanduil
9. tee_tookins
10. Jaeniver
11. NallaElf
12. Pez_Wreckless
13. Cenandil
14. Aranel_Sarlonde
15. Earundra
16. Nîlo
17. BeAragorn
18. Evenstar117
19. minachao13
20. arwen_elvenprincess
21. TheOddHobbit
22. Frodo23
23. Nimue_Greenwood
24. Janus
25. twilight_eyes
26. Legolas_is_my_guy_05
27. GreyHavensWarden
28. luinil
29. Renowen
30. Wild_Unicorn
31. emperoryodadeesith
32. Donernilwen
33. Inzilbeth
34. Legolas_is_hot
35. Huanthemadinsaneone
36. Telrúnya
37. Robin_Nightingale
38. Lil_Demented_Frodo
39. brad_morson
40. Boudiccallama
41. gythienloveslegolas01
42. donnamarie
43. Nighthawk
44. thewindtree
45. Lady_C!
46. CassieBaggins

317. AlexSnitzel

NB: This list is horribly out-of-date...I do intend to go back and update it soon!

(In order of date adopted)
Last edited by Hobbituk on Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby oldtoby » Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:32 pm

Ooooo since yer a mod do all your adoptees get to learn the secret TORC handshake?

If so, all I got to say is please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, adopt me. :wink: :angel:
oldtoby
Ringbearer

Postby Hobbituk » Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:56 pm

Only if you go to the Vet for a checkup first :P

So, where's the rest of the family anyway?
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby AlexSnitzel » Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:01 am

Oh, new thread. :D

Very exciting! Still has that 'new thread' smell. Or is that the freshener?
AlexSnitzel
Ranger of the North

Postby GreyHavensWarden » Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:22 am

Hey All

Well for what it's worth I'm back... both in Edinburgh and that therefore means TORC because I have a decent internet connection 24/7 and a lot of the time have nothing much else better to do hehe!

Sorry I havent been around... everything in the above paragraph is reversed when I am back in Belfast! I had an absolutely excellent Christmas holiday without a care in the world, and drinking copious amounts of alcohol! Unfortunately I didn't get to go round all of my friends but... I had a great time with the ones I did!

Rest assured I shall be around all the time folks!

Great to see a new house.. this should be fun!

Cheers

The Warden
GreyHavensWarden
Rider of the Mark

Postby Hobbituk » Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:09 pm

Warden, you're in Edinburgh now? You should go to the Events forum and have a look at thread for the next Moot. It's in Glasgow!
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby AlexSnitzel » Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:55 pm

Ah, it's a shame that it's in March, a mere two months before I'll be in the area. :oops: I'd have loved to have dropped in and met some of you great TORC folks! Though I might have had to bring the chips, being most humbly only joined this year. But it sounds like y'all will have a blast. :D
AlexSnitzel
Ranger of the North

Postby GreyHavensWarden » Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:41 am

Hey Alex - How's it going my friend? You back to classes and all now too?

Twill certainly be a strange event if I do go... considering I really don't know any of these folk... but I'm sure Hobbi will take care of me :wink: ThanKS for informing me about it man... but there's no need to berate your own son in front of your friends :( that's just heartless :P

Ta ta

The Warden
GreyHavensWarden
Rider of the Mark

Postby Hobbituk » Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:31 am

Sorry mate, it just needed saying :P

I hope you do come though, they're a friendly bunch and they're good at making folks feel welcome.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby AlexSnitzel » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:00 pm

Hey Warden - yup, classes started up for me this week, and I'm trying to work out all the kinks. I registered for one class that was one level too advanced for me, and had no idea what the teacher was going on about. :shock: Dropped that one as soon as I could and got back into the right one. Crazy online registrations. :oops: Still having to deal with the "back from holiday" blues. How's it going for you?
AlexSnitzel
Ranger of the North

Postby Donernilwen » Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:58 am

Hey guys,

Fancy this, the reply page has decided to actually load today. :roll:

Anyways, have work soon so just wanted to stop by.

Hope Bou doesn't mind me speaking for her but she is back at school and I think we are having the same problems with the reply page. Just wanted to clarify. She's not ignoring us or anything.....hmm maybe she is...oh well whatevah.:P
Just wanted to let you guys know.;)

Hope you all are doing well....hmm just noticed that the guys may be out numbering the girls here as far as activness goes. Must change that.:P
Nah, very proud of you for sticking round and keeping the house in fine, working order.;)

Ok, I think I've rambled on long enough. hehe see you guys later.:P

-Don
Donernilwen
Ranger of the North

Postby Lumi » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:56 pm

Am I in the right place? Is this where you say hi to the adaptor? I am a bit confused... Anyway I say hi now. Hi! I am a newbie from Finland. I've been a Tolkien-fan since I was nine. So in that way this sure is the right place... I ask my quoestions after I am sure this is the right place for them.... :)
Lumi
Shield Bearer

Postby Hobbituk » Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:47 am

Hi Lumi,

If you mean you would like to be AdOpted then you're more than welcome here (and that makes you the FIRST adoptee in thread number three!)

If you would like to be AdApted...then I'm not sure I can help ;) Just kidding

So, how can we assist? The family is all around somewhere and they can answer any questions you may have.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Lumi » Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:01 am

Uuups... AdOpted sounds better... :lol:
I am a bit confused with the guilds and alliances. Can you join one just saying hi? Or what? I've been hanging in a lot smaller forums... Here is sooo much more everything...
Lumi
Shield Bearer

Postby Hobbituk » Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:07 pm

I can sympathise! TORC does seem huge when you're used to smaller forums. When I joined TORC wasn't a quarter of the size it is now and I still found it pretty terrifying. Part of my job as an adopter is to help it seem a little easier for you!

As for joining Alliances. I am a member of The Bard's Guild. This was the first ever guild on TORC (and is in fact the best ;) ). In order to join that particular guild one must write a poem with each line or verse beginning with A through to Z. Some other guilds may have similar requirements (though I am not aware of them).

The best thing to do is simply read the first couple of pages of their thread, and maybe the last few too (if it's a very long thread you don't need to worry about reading loads of it!). Then, just make a post asking how you can join.

So long as you're polite and refrain from any "netspeak" (frowned upon here at TORC), then you will most likely get a helpful answer. Hope that helps.

:)
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby GreyHavensWarden » Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:18 pm

Hey Lumi! Hope your going to enjoy yourself here! Guess I'm your big brother!

Noticed your post earlier but thought I would leave it for the Daddy to offer a hand of welcome... didn't want to scare you off! :P

Cheers Everyone else as well of course :)

The Warden
GreyHavensWarden
Rider of the Mark

Postby Lumi » Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:16 pm

It's been nice twoo days here in TORC! Haven't got time to write much myself. It really takes time just to read all the threads.
Btw. Have you ever had some kind of international meeting or something? Or are you planing something like that? In Finnish forums it's a lot easier to actually meet the people...(Has it something to do with the fact that I live in Finland?) :D
Edit: I just noticed the Events...
Last edited by Lumi on Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lumi
Shield Bearer

Postby Hobbituk » Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:08 pm

In Britain we meet regularly in real life actually!

The first gathering (or "moot" as we call it) was in Oxford in Summer 2002. Since then we've had the following large gatherings...

Manchester - Winter 2003
Oxford - Summer 2003
Liverpool - Winter 2004
Oxford - Summer 2004

plus we've got the following coming up...

Glasgow - Spring 2005 (March!)
Oxford - Summer 2005

Apart from them lots of us have smaller gatherings throughout the year. I myself am meeting up with a few folk in London next month :)
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby AlexSnitzel » Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:11 pm

Welcome to the fun Lumi! You've certainly got good tastes when it comes to adopted-families. They've taken good care of me, and I'm sure they'll do the same for you. :)
AlexSnitzel
Ranger of the North

Postby GreyHavensWarden » Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:46 am

Hey Alex, Hobbi and Lumi... and all other lurkers and wasters :P

Hope everything is going well for you all. Things seem to be for me... II have got one of my exam results back and somehow I managed to get an A in my physics... which is pretty hilarioous considering I bluffed my way through everything!

Next few weeks shall be interesting with opera practice almost every day and 2 burns suppers, 2 ceilidhs, 2 dinners, lots of pub & club nights and a couple of parties thrown in there too!!

C'mon lets get this thread green!!!! If you know what I mean :roll:

The Warden
GreyHavensWarden
Rider of the Mark

Postby Lumi » Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:51 am

I heard that you Hobbituk would be a good person to ask about RP... It sounds really intrestingthough I've never played it in any kind of form. I think I understand the basic idea, so you just write a part of a story... ( ? ) Do you have the read the whole story or some of the first pages and last pages? And can just jump in? Or ask or what?
I am not stupid but my question is... :) Isn't A the best you can get? In Finland we just have numbers from 4 to 10... For some reason it started to bother me... Please, let me sleep tonight and tell me... :shock: :D
Lumi
Shield Bearer

Postby GreyHavensWarden » Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:14 am

Yes Lurni an A is the best you can get... which makes the whole situation funnier.

I would try to explain RP but Hobbi would be better... I'm a waster when it comes to that.

There's a guy from Finland in my German class... just thought I'd share that!

Cheers

The Warden.... post number 350 yay
GreyHavensWarden
Rider of the Mark

Postby Hobbituk » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:38 pm

Ok Lumi, That's a pretty big question ;)

The first thing you need to know about Roleplay (RP) is that although RP is what we call it, it's actually a very misleading term and one which I do not like!

"Roleplay" conjures up images of some form of game where a group of warriors in some underwritten magic fantasy world battle against a dungeon master...etc.etc

A better term to describe how it is done here on TORC is "collaborative writing". That is, a group of people take on one (or more) characters and write a story together taking it in turns to tell parts of the story.

There's so much to know about it that if I were to bombard you with all, you'd probably run away screaming...so for now, here's the basic steps to get yourself started...

1) The hardest part! Come up with a character. Whatever you do don't fall into the trap of making it some all-powerful Wizard or undefeatable elf-rip-off-legolas-wannabe! Make it an interesting character with a sketchy backstory which you can elaborate on as you go in your mind. Picture in your mind exactly what they look like. Make sure they have weaknesses and flaws...no-one is perfect and if they were it'd be boring! Perhaps most importantly, it must be realistic to Tolkien's Middle-Earth. RP is not fanfiction, but we use Middle-Earth to RP in as it is a premise which all RPers are familiar with...(we can reference Geography, history.etc)
2) Go to The Lucky Fortune Inn. This is the launchpad for learning to RP. It's an "Inn" and therefore a social environment where you can pop in and test out your character, interact with other folks in there and generally get used to it
3) Browse the Roleplaying forums. Don't post in any threads. You need to practice a while in The Lucky Fortune Inn first, but just have a look and get a feel for the place. There's some handy hints and tips in various threads in that forum too.

Well, hope all that helps. If you need any more help you can ask or e-mail me. Also Jaeniver is a fantastic RPer (and not a native English speaker either) so I'm sure she could offer you some good advice!
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Lumi » Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:07 am

Thank you! That helped a lot... :) So to the Inn now....
Lumi
Shield Bearer

Postby Donernilwen » Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:15 am

Hey peoples :D

Hope Everythings well with you all.

I'm a bit tired but overall I'm doing great.:)
We got our first real snow yesterday.:D I know it's nothing compared to some other places I've lived, but we had a good few inches. People around here are pretty much terrified of snow so they managed to cancell public schools today. I know what you all are thinking, "and why would that matter to you?"
Well, It mattered to me since my friends had no school I went over to some of their houses and just partied it up untill the early morning hours.;) Excellent night and now I'm just kinda in that phase were I'm so tired I'm REALLY hyper. haha Good time to post right?:P
Well I'm off to work soon. Everyone pray that nobody drowns because I'm asleep in my chair. ;) :P
I'll come back later and make a more respectable. boring post like I always do.;) see you guys later!
-Don
Donernilwen
Ranger of the North

Postby GreyHavensWarden » Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:51 am

boring.... you.... never :P
GreyHavensWarden
Rider of the Mark

Postby AlexSnitzel » Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:21 pm

Hey family :D

Don, I know that feeling, where you're incredibly tired but you've got some strange sort of nervous energy. It usually comes to me after I've pulled an all-nighter but drunk 5 mountain dews to keep me awake. I usually get a case of the taps, where I annoyingly drum any surface I can find with a pen. If a pen's not available, fingers will do. :D

I've tried to RP before, but never really got anywhere with it. But I'm not really that great of a writer. I'm sure that didn't have anything to do with not being a good RPer. :P
Last edited by AlexSnitzel on Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlexSnitzel
Ranger of the North

Postby Donernilwen » Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:37 pm

Oh shut it you :P

Well here's the promised bore. ;)

Well, School again was cancelled. Which you might think " oh how lovely, Janell got to go hang out with friends last night and party hardy like the night before."

....not the case. The freak school offcials didn't bother to annouce that school was closed untill about 2 hours before school started. :roll: So basicly, everyone found out they were closed at 6 in the morning. :roll: Which means no late night partys and no sleeping in. How rude.

But I did go with some friends later in the day and frolic in the snow at a nearby park.
Very fun until a guy I know hit me in the head with a snow ball at point blank range. Rude. Of course I still tackled him and pushed snow in his face. hehehe :P
So now I'm going over to this party my Basket ball coach is throwing. :D
Then tomorrow we are gonna head over to my game which I'm very much looking forward too.
The girls on my team range in age from 14 to 18 so I'm getting up to the top. For one of the first times in my church basket ball carreer, I'm beggining to get good. Hoorah.
Though church basket ball is actually more of a huge fight for the ball.
There are a ton of turnovers and steals. Most of the girls don't have that good of ball handling skills so it can get REALLY crazy. hehe
Good thing my position doesn't require a lot of handling. ;)
I'm just the one that goes up for rebounds or makes the close shots.
Which I Really enjoy actually. Fighting for a rebound can really relieve some stress. :P
I have a t shirt that basicly sums up my league. "Church basket ball- the Brawl that begins with prayer. "
Hahaha! I love it.
Anyways, I think I've rambled enough tonight. ;)
I think I'll actually give myself the title of the rambler of the house. Sorry all those of you who wanted it, but I think I can beat you all. :P

Lumi- You must think I'm a psyco. ;)
Let me properly introduce myself. I'm Don. I am a girl. Don't believe anything these loons here tell you about me. ;)
Hope you have fun Rping. I haven't done it forever (which may change here soon ;) ) but I'm not good at all.:P
I'm sure you'll do wonderful and I can't wait to see what you end up doing.:)
I'm american. I'm on the east cost, but I'm originally from back on the west cost. umm I'm not yet able to reveal my age on here....umm what else can I tell you about me....
Oh I love to swim. I'm a lifguard and an asistant swim coach at the local ymca. :D
umm if you have any questions or anything feel free to ask me and I'll try my best to answer them.;)

Well off for the night guys! I've got a good bit of stuff going tomorrow and sunday so Hope you all have a fantastic weekend. :)

-Don

Edit- just missed your post Alex :oops:

Yes, I do get that after staying up most or all the night. :P
And glad to hear someone else plays with their pens at those times.
If I have a clicky one I push it on the table then let go so it kindof jumps up then I catch it. :roll: Drives my family and friends insane. :P
Where did you rp? As said above, I'm not too good at it....at least what I can remember. hehe it's been a while. But I think I rush myself too much when posting. Might be part of the problem, lets hope. :roll: :wink:
Last edited by Donernilwen on Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Donernilwen
Ranger of the North

Postby Lumi » Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:00 pm

Hi Don! No, I don't think you're insane at all... You haven't met me... :wink:
Well. I just noticed that I haven't really introduced myself... I'm from Finland and I'm a girl (which you can't really tell from my name Lumi...) Btw lumi means snow in Finnish. My English isn't the best possible so if there's some bad mistakes please let me know... I'm not going to tell you my exact age but I can let you know that I am too close of not being a teenager anymore... Teenage is really fun time but in the future instead of being a teenager I'm going to be a WANNABE teenager... :D Hahaa
Unfortunately I've never looked like a avarage teen. My brother thinks that I'm a total wacko (not sure about the spelling...)
I think I stop writing now... I slept three hours last night and it's little past nine pm here.... If that seems a bit hmmm, well not so rational, you know the reason. See you! :)
Lumi
Shield Bearer

Postby Hobbituk » Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:17 pm

Lumi, your English is fine! Better than a lot of people who speak it as a first language I could mention!

*cough*Don*cough*
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Next

Return to Adoptions