Hobbituk's Homely House (v 3.0)

Need a hand learning the ropes? Come here and find an experienced poster to adopt you! Visit the First Stop thread for a list of all those currently involved in the mentoring process and their interests and areas.

Postby Jaeniver » Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:33 pm

ohh do i feel bad not stopping in here sooner. Hobbi thanks for pointing me in this direction :)

hello to all i haven't met before :D and of course to the old shcool soldiers ;)

To drop in at the currect topic Rp for non-english speakers ;) Lumi I hope i can be of service to you :)

I'm not english either and thus speak/write in a foreign language. I found it very very scary at first (i still do sometimes and hardly ever see my posts and good enough acording to standards i've set myself) but the more you write and the more you begin to grasp the language you'll grow more confident. I can now be happy with some posts ;).

I'd say just start slowly, take it easy do not expect your post to level up to experienced and English RPers post. it cannot be the same :) it's hard to accept but it'll make all the difference in the end.

Second, read alot, read books in English, read the posts in english and do not hesitate to ask for clearance when you stumble across a word you don't understand. also as a foreigner myself i always ask someone who does speak English as a first language to check my important RP posts for grammar and spelling mistakes.

now given these few starter ups from my own experience it helps to write with people who don't speak English as a first language. two minds know more then one :) As to the writing itself i find it always helps to first picture exactly what you want to write down then if the words won't come in english first write them down in your own language and then look up the world in an english dictionary. if you still doubt, ask someone if the word fits in the context. I know i asked Hobbi hundred of times if he would help me finding words i couldn't think of. and i still ask people.

But most important: enjoy writing. progress comes through practise. it's not something you can force. just see the picture, set your aim for a post and just write. go with the flow and later polish away the rough edges of a jewel ;)

If you have any more questions feel free to email me. or ask my questions here :) i hope this helped you a little.
Jaeniver
Not all those who wander are lost

Postby Hobbituk » Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:38 pm

Thanks for that Jae.

Lumi, her advice is really good. Never hesitate to ask if you need any help or you want me to check some words or proofread a post. I'm happy to lend a hand!

:)
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Jaeniver » Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:45 pm

the above goes for me too ;) except the gramar check. love to proofread and comment on the post as whole though ;)

i might be persuaded to bring out any character you like to come lay with you a little. it's been ages since i was last at the Inn....Gets dreamy look in eyes ahhhhh good times. :D
Jaeniver

Postby Lumi » Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:00 pm

Thank you....
A good idea would be showing the stuff to my English teacher... Hahaa :D What an idea! Why haven't I come up with that sooner!?! :shock:
Lumi
Shield Bearer

Postby Hobbituk » Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:01 pm

Apologies for continuing to harp on about RP, but I wanted to comment on Lumi's first post in the Inn and I thought what I had to say might be useful to anyone else thinking of writing RP.

Lumi, that was a GREAT start. Very impressive. I have only one comment. Your post is written in the "present tense". As it is telling a story it should really (for the purposes of RP) be written in the past tense.

So for example, where you have written;

The sun is shinig brightly in Hena's eyes. A new day begins. She wouldn't like to open her eyes. Then the rough reality would hit her again, just like day befor. She isn't sleeping between sheets but on could and muddy land only bare bushes to cover her.

It would be better if it read;

The sun shone brightly in Hena's eyes. A new day had begun. She did not want to open her eyes. The rough reality would hit her again, just like the day before. She hadn't slept between sheets but on cold, muddy land with only bare bushes to cover her.

See the difference? Otherwise, as I said, that was a good start. Very intriguing :)
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Jaeniver » Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:07 pm

good start Lumi :D well done. nothing more to add but keep in mind to let the reader in on the secret why she was sleeping on the cold muddy ground later.

that's one thing i still tend to forget: the reader does not know what you know. it needs to find out your character's secrets through words.

may i enquire about your character? such as hat race she is ?just me being a curious thing ;)
Jaeniver

Postby Hobbituk » Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:12 pm

I actually disagree with Jae on one thing. If you are trying to make your character one of mystery with secrets to unravel as you go, then keeping secrets from the reader is perfectly fine.

It creates intrigue and makes the reader want to find out more about the character. Much better than writing a massive essay listing everything your character is thinking which would just be boring and reduce any element of surprise :)

And this just goes to show that even two experienced RPer develop different styles. Ultimately there is very little that is RIGHT or WRONG. You will discover your own way of doing things :)
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Jaeniver » Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:15 pm

Ah yes, see i agree with you now :D it's what i meant actually. i wasn't implying to reveal all secrets in your second post but slowly as you go. maybe give a hint here and there but keep the reader intruiged by your character ;)

just follow Hobbi's advice on this. ;) no point in me echoing his words
Jaeniver

Postby Donernilwen » Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:13 pm

*cough*Don*cough*

....heeeyyyy!

Excuse me, but we've gone over this before. :roll: "Typing" problems you see?;):P

Shame on you for making me look stupid in front of a noob. I was really holding out for at least a good month before letting this one in on the secret. :roll: oh wells.

eh can't give any RP advice at the moment. Dear ol' dad might mock me for it later. :P

-Don
Donernilwen
Ranger of the North

Postby AlexSnitzel » Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:18 pm

Hey all. :)

Don, don't worry, I'll join you in looking stupid. It's a specialty of mine. :D I used to RP on a small proboards forum, at least it was some twisted talentless form of RP (on my part) ;) I just thought I'd give it a try. But I don't think I have the essentials for being a good RPer. But you've gotten some great advice, Lumi, and maybe I'll give it another try some time.
AlexSnitzel
Ranger of the North

Postby Jaeniver » Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:50 am

Don, don't worry dearest ;) we need a court fool :P

*runs*

Don't think we've been properly introduced yet Alex. :) sorry for the rushy post earlier. but advice was in order ;)
Nice to meet you and hope you're enjoying your stay here :D

Hobbi was fabulous talking to you. :) should really do this pften ;) and i am holding you to the light RP thing :D now if only time would go easy on me so i could pull out some characters to play with. ;)
Jaeniver

Postby Lumi » Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:52 am

Hmmm, My tiny question accomplished to make quite a lot confersation... That's always a good thing... :D
And I did little editing on my first rp post ever.... Changed the tense... It fits the other story better now... I don't know why I wrote it the present... Thank you again for all the good advices! :)
Lumi
Shield Bearer

Postby GreyHavensWarden » Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:35 am

Meep Meep!

Just a flying visit... I'm going to be incredibly busy for the next couple of weeks unfortunately fo you!!! I shall pop in whenever I can but I'm rehearsing every night bar thursday from now till monday and then the show is next tuesday till saturday... so I'll not be on here much!!!

Cheers anyway and I will lurk when I can

Hugs and Kisses

Warden
GreyHavensWarden
Rider of the Mark

Postby Donernilwen » Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:37 pm

Don, don't worry dearest we need a court fool

:roll: Glad to know I can be of service to the fam. :P And you can run, but you can never hide hon. =:) :P

Alex-
don't worry, I'll join you in looking stupid. It's a specialty of mine.

Why thank you.;) You know some of us children must, at least, try to live up to our dads example.:D
That you in your sig or what? Whenever I ask, it ends up being some famous actor I should have known, :roll: but don't. Ah well.

Anyone else have a weird day yesterday? I don't know what it was but I was really out of it and depressed....but I have no clue what about.
I did feel better when I heard on the radio that it was supposed to be the most depressing day of the year. haha that sounds weird but I just felt more normal I guess.
hmm well anyways, I've got to run. Friend is coming to work on the movie with me.
Catch ya later peeps!....... :roll: I can be such a dork. :P
-Don
Donernilwen
Ranger of the North

Postby AlexSnitzel » Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:28 pm

Don, it's actually a screen capture from The Office, my favorite TV show. ;) It's not really that funny unless you know the context to the scene. :rofl: You're actually not the first to ask if it's me, and I can see why you would, so I think I'll tweak my sig text a bit. ;)

Hm... actually, yesterday was quite a good day. Maybe I'm immune to the effects of the most depressing day of the year. (I didn't even know there was such a thing :oops: )
AlexSnitzel
Ranger of the North

Postby Donernilwen » Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:37 pm

Alex- Ah ha! I'm catching on aren't I. Knew it was gonna be some actor. :P
When and what chanel does that show come on? Never really heard of it before.

Glad to hear your day was better then mine. :) Didn't know there was such a day myself till I heard it on the radio.
I did have a talk to a couple friends today and they all had a horrible day yesterday. Just weird things happening. Though one pointed out to me that she thought it had been a full moon too so things may just generally be outta wack.
ah well, today was a bit better though not nearly as good as the norm. :roll:
There's always tomorrow hm? ;)

-Don
Donernilwen
Ranger of the North

Postby Hobbituk » Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:21 am

There should be a law against people who haven't heard of The Office...

:P

(It won TWO Golden Globes for goodness sake!)
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Donernilwen » Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:39 am

Well then somebody needs to get the bail ready. :roll:

And do I look like the kind of person to watch the golden globes?.......
Nope, didn't think so.

-Don
Donernilwen
Ranger of the North

Postby Jaeniver » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:29 am

I have heard of it ;) and it's even broadcasted here. yes sometimes i do like my country ;)

Had people asking me whether i was the girl (natalie portman) i use for a sig pic. Not this one though :p i'm not dead.
Jaeniver

Postby oldtoby » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:31 am

i'm not dead.

I guess that ruins my theory that you were posting from beyond the grave. :wink: :D
oldtoby
Ringbearer

Postby AlexSnitzel » Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:48 pm

It's funny how little-known The Office is in America, at least among folks I meet. In fact, in my media arts class, we were talking about different styles of television, and the professor showed a clip from The Office with only saying it was a show from the BBC as an intro. When it had finished, she asked us what genre we would place it into. Almost exclusively, the 100+ students said that it was a reality show. ;) There were a few faces I saw that were sort of smirking, and I knew those were the enlightened ones. :D
AlexSnitzel
Ranger of the North

Postby Donernilwen » Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:11 pm

Well I will keep my eye out for it. ;)

One show I absolutly love is trigger happy tv. None of my friends have seen it at all and most I talk to have never heard of it. :roll:
Hadn't been on in quite a while untill recently.

Well, guess some of you noobs :P might not know yet or haven't put it all together, but my mums pretty much about 9 months pregnant (still seems weird when I say that :roll: ).
We went in to her appointment today and they set a date to start her. If she doesn't go into labor before, then it will be the 1st. :D Next thrus.

Can't really report anything much more then that.
Oh! I did decide to take a risk and try a new thing today. :roll: hehe I tried sushi for the first time ever....course I pretty much ran to get a drink as fast as I could, but ah well. I feel daring. :P
I also found the sweetest looking glass bottle of spring water (....just don't ask) :roll: that I bought.

hehe Jae, :P I knew those pics of natalie portman weren't you. Your far prettier then she is. ;)

-Don
Donernilwen
Ranger of the North

Postby Jaeniver » Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:40 am

Sushi is devine!!!! i love sushi!!! actually i made an appointment with another TORCers to go out for sushi in Belgium =:) love fissshhh.

and your mum's pregnant! wonderful! congrats! my dance teacher told me two days go she was pregnant too. i cried of joy :roll: there's something about pregnancies and weddings, i always have to shed a tear.

hope all goes well for her :)
Jaeniver

Postby Faramirs_Love » Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:38 am

Ummm... I have been here before... but gosh, it has been a very long time ago...

Hope everyone is doing alright... Sorry for being away for so very long!

*cheesy smile* Did anyone miss me???? (yeah, yeah... I hardly posted before too... sorry...)

In case I should, I will just re-introduce myself! I am a huge Faramir fan, I like to RP... but unfortunately have not been able to do so in a long time. I am going through some hard times right now personally. (Maybe will discuss this in more detail later on... maybe not! :P ) I write poetry also. :)

I remember a few people that I talked with before like Jae and Warden and I said hello to Hobbi once even too. Very nice people. Just thought I would mosey on back and see how things are for you all. *hugs*
:grouphug:

~FL
Faramirs_Love
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Hobbituk » Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:14 pm

Hi FL! Good to see you. It's always a bit worrying when people stop by and say hi and then disappear. I was beginning to wonder if I had bad breath...

Anyway, welcome back :wink:

Don...

One show I absolutly love is trigger happy tv.

The first series of Trigger Happy was really good but it got repetive after a while. Dom Joly (the guy who stars in it) has just started a new series called "World Shut Your Mouth" on BBC1. It's much the same as Trigger Happy but fresher and more original.

I just read Dom Joly's autobiography actually. I'm not sure how much of it is true but he seems to have had a CRAZY life.

Finally...

*waves a little Union Jack flag*

We may not be great at much in this country these days...but us Brits are still producing the best comedy :P
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Donernilwen » Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:51 pm

Hmm wonder if this was really crappy sushi then.....nope, not gonna risk any more harm to my tastebuds. :P I do envy the meeting the torcers part though. Who you meeting up with Jae ?
hehe Hope the tear was a happy one. ;) When I heard the news I was pretty much going back and forth between denial and shock. :roll: But I'm VERY excited now. :D

Hey FL, I think I remember you coming in here a while back. :) good to see you! Don't know if I'd introduced myself or not but in any case, I'm Don. ;)
I have done a little RP but haven't done much lately. I was considering starting an actuall thread in the pony sometime in the somewhat near future, but I think that may be a ways still. Oh well, I have a basic idea.

us Brits are still producing the best comedy

I'll agree with you, if you mean as of late. Though I don't know much history about brittish comedy, an early 90's brittish version of "whose line is it anyways?" Pretty much scared me away. Most boring show I've ever seen.

I can see trigger happy tv getting old after a while, but I'm afraid they just don't play it enough over here for my opinion of it to change. :)
Hm wish I could see that new one you mentioned. ah well. :roll:

Eh things have been pretty crazy with me over here (in case you crazy lot care :P ).
I worked a ten hour day thurs. Then had to unexpectantly had to go in early the next morning for another 6 or so. :roll:
Then last night I got this really bad pain in my stomach. Every time I breathed in it hurt like none other. It got to the point where I was considering going into the emergency room, which isn't good, but after a while of just lying down and concentrating on breathing, I was able to settle down and got to sleep within a few hours. Just the average week for me ya know? :P :roll: Anyways, my swim meet tonight got cancelled so I think I may try to catch some friends later on.

Oh, Warden wanted me to pass along his apologies for not being round lately. His opera opens tuesday.

Aren't I a nice little messenger?:P

Alright, I'll leave before I do anymore damage. ;)

-Don
Donernilwen
Ranger of the North

Postby AlexSnitzel » Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:22 pm

Good luck to Warden!

Don, sounds like you've had a busy couple of days. I sometimes get that strange pain that makes you think you've got some kind of rare disease, but thankfully it tends to go away, or at least when I take indigestion medicine. ;)

FL, I don't believe we've met. Nice to see you! :)

And yes, Hobbi, British humor by far is better than anything we yanks have ever cranked out.
AlexSnitzel
Ranger of the North

Postby Donernilwen » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:26 pm

Alex, Which part of NC are you from again? I know some people down there and was just wondering where you were going to school.

sounds like you've had a busy couple of days. I sometimes get that strange pain that makes you think you've got some kind of rare disease, but thankfully it tends to go away, or at least when I take indigestion medicine.

Hehe its not about to get any less busy anytime soon. ;)

:P Think I know what indigestion feels like, and this wasn't it at all. Whatever it was, its gone now so I'm not gonna worry about it.
My medical history is pretty screwed up actually. A while back I used to get really sharp back pains. It wasn't the kind of pains you normally hear about though. I think I can pretty much say that those were the most painful things I've been through.....though the side of a swim goggle ripping a 1 inch gash into my hand wasn't too good feeling either.
Which reminds me! hehe I finally got that glass out of my foot the other day. Orignally I thought I had just scrapped it and nothing had actually gone in, but just my luck, it did and has been slowly been getting more painful to walk on. So I just got looking at it again and found the pretty good sized piece. Hurt like heck coming out though!
....ok I'll stop rambling about all my recent mishaps and clumsy accidents.

So, Tomorrow is the big day. :) Kid finally arives. woo hoo! Not much else I can really say.

Hope your all doing excellent and keeping busy (in a good way of course! ;) ) !

I'm off to try to sleep, which I pretty much know is going to be impossible, but I can try right? :P

I'll talk to you loons later!

-Don
Donernilwen
Ranger of the North

Postby DWLOTRfan13 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:46 pm

Hey Hobbi I was just wondering if you would adopt me. thanks :)
DWLOTRfan13
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Hobbituk » Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:55 pm

Without hesitation DW! Welcome to the family.

Tell us a little about yourself :)
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

PreviousNext

Return to Adoptions