Evenstar's Emporium of All Things Newbie - Number Three! :o)

Need a hand learning the ropes? Come here and find an experienced poster to adopt you! Visit the First Stop thread for a list of all those currently involved in the mentoring process and their interests and areas.

Postby Beleg Faeron » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:59 pm

Hello. I am searching for an adopter. I am a newbie to this site. Would your house accept another member?? ~ Beleg Faeron
Beleg Faeron
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Evenstar_of_Imladris » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:25 pm

Oh my!!! :oops:

I have not been in here for quite awhile - I apologize everyone! :oops::oops::oops:

F Horn of Gondor - I see you haven't been in since the 13th, but if you happen to come back I'd be more than happy to take you under my wing! Welcome to TORC! :)

Lomiothiel - Welcome back! :D:D:D

I see you've been around more recently so I hope you drop back by! A master's degree in library science - wow! That would be a very cool profession to be involved with - I hope you get a position you like. :)

Beleg Faeron - Again - sorry I didn't catch this before! I noticed you've been around recently as well. I hope the board hasn't been too overwhelming and that you found some friendly folks to guide you around. If you're still interested in hanging with us Emporiumites, we'd be more than happy to have you - welcome! :D
Evenstar_of_Imladris
Ringbearer

Postby sairah » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:07 am

Hello everyone, I just wanted to say thank you so much for posting this, I was so confused about the ranking system, and pretty much everything on this forum lol. If anyone wants to "adopt" me, or help me around the site, I will be more than grateful.
: )
sairah
Citizen of Imladris

Location: Looking for that moment in time where she will become one with the universe and feel truly infinite.

Postby rowanberry » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:47 am

Hi Sairah, I think that of the adopters, the Bookworms are the most active at the moment. :) But, if you've got anything to ask, just ask, and any of us oldbies try to answer.
Image I'm judging MoST again this year! Ready for the opening banquet...

MoME 2013 results are in!

The Sons of Fëanor re-embodied in the beginning of the Fourth Age? Yes, for The Maedhros and Tygarya Saga – and, as fire-hearted as ever!

On my way to Morannon on the Walk to Rivendell and Beyond!

Shire and Shutter - the TORC photoblog

Thoughts about dance, life, and everything
rowanberry
+++Out Of Cheese Error+++

Postby sairah » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:37 am

Ok, thank you...by the way, who exactly are The Bookworms?
:lol:
sairah
Citizen of Imladris

Location: Looking for that moment in time where she will become one with the universe and feel truly infinite.

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:51 am

Oh, and Imi isn't around anymore (That's Evenstar of Imladris) so you'll have to let us older kids show you around a bit. :)

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck
I can't brain today. I have the dumb.

Postby rowanberry » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:38 am

There's a thread called "The Lounge for Bookworms" on the Bird and the Baby forum, that's where most of them can be found. In general, they're a bunch of people who love all literature.

But, like Iris and I both said above, just ask if you need any help with learning the ropes, and someone will answer. :)
Image I'm judging MoST again this year! Ready for the opening banquet...

MoME 2013 results are in!

The Sons of Fëanor re-embodied in the beginning of the Fourth Age? Yes, for The Maedhros and Tygarya Saga – and, as fire-hearted as ever!

On my way to Morannon on the Walk to Rivendell and Beyond!

Shire and Shutter - the TORC photoblog

Thoughts about dance, life, and everything
rowanberry

Postby sairah » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:29 am

Oh ok, thank you, Ill be sure to ask plently of questions.
And by the way, I finally started reading the Fellowship of The Ring last night for the first time. Im starting on chapter 2 in a few minutes. It's really good so far, I have no why my friends thought it was boring!
<3
sairah
Citizen of Imladris

Help ! Technical question !

Postby LaDiablaRubia » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:48 am

Hi ! I'm a real newbie and I've been searching the way to get adopted for over one hour ! For the moment, I just have a very technical but surely easy question : How can we put an image in a post ? As an example, when I want to show something in tengwar, if I have it as a .bmp ou .jpg file, how to insert it ? Do I need a url link ? If yes, how can I do this ? It must be easy with all the people who do it... just need to know how !

I'm usually good with computers, but I never been on posts of any kind so that stuff is all new for me !

Thanks for your support ! Scuse my horrible English --> French speeker !

LaDiablaRubia
felindra_rach@hotmail.com
LaDiablaRubia

Postby rowanberry » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:21 am

Hi LaDiablaRubia, to insert an image into a post, use the [img] tags. For example, this:

[IMG ]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v25/Rowanberry/bouquet1_page4.jpg[/ IMG]

when you remove all the spaces I put there to make the code visible, shows up like this:

Just note that pictures in posts should not be too big (max 400x300 pixels); to show bigger photos, you can link to them, just by using the [url] tags instead of [img].

Hope this helps. :)
rowanberry

Postby LaDiablaRubia » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:41 am

Thanks Rowanberry... but I still have a problem : this looks like your picture was on the net, so you added the link between the [img] tags... but if my image wasn't on the net, what can I do ?

I feel a little stupid with my question... sorry... there's just a little part missing in my comprehension :blush:

Thanks again
LaDiablaRubia

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:52 am

Open a free photo account somewhere, like google photos or photobucket and upload your photos there, then do what Rowan suggested. :)

If you're looking to put a photo in your signature area, you need a premier membership first, which is $4 per month.

By the way...the founder of this adoption thread no longer posts, and I think several of the other adoption threads are inactive, or rarely active. :)

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck

Thanks !

Postby LaDiablaRubia » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:30 am

Thanks Iris for this hint ! I'm gonna go to bed more intelligent tonight ! :lol:

Yes, I had the same impression that almost every adopter were gone or inactive... but it is nice to see that others keep ready to give a hand !

Now the test : if I understood well, TORC logo will appear !
LaDiablaRubia

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:46 am

Bingo! You got it!

We keep an eye on things because we still get new people. And we're expecting an inrush of people when The Hobbit comes out. :)

And don't feel bad about not knowing things, there are still things on this site I don't quite get...that's what we're here for...aside from having fun. :D

IrisBrandybuck

Postby shaggydog » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:40 pm

Will you adopt me Iris? :D :D :D :D

:lmbo:
shaggydog
Rider of the Mark

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:42 pm

Soitenly! :D

IrisBrandybuck

Postby shaggydog » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:50 pm

You may regret that :D

Adoption is for life! :P :rofl:
shaggydog
Rider of the Mark

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:39 pm

Listen, boy, I brought you into this world, I can send you back!

Oh, wait...only biological parents can say that...

:P

IrisBrandybuck

Postby shaggydog » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:36 am

How about "Listen boy, I brought you home and I can take you back! Now where did I put that receipt . . . ?"

shaggydog
Rider of the Mark

Postby Hiril Elfwraith » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:21 pm

Behold, i am new...someone adopt me? pweeze?
by any chance?
a word of warning...i am rather insane and have a tendency to write too many stories at once and get nowhere with any of them.
anyone willing to take a chance?
(mua ha ha ha ha ha ha... :twisted: )
Hiril Elfwraith
Rider of the Mark

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:30 am

Hiril, hello. :)

Unfortunately, Imi (Evenstar of this thread) doesn't post anymore. We've been welcoming people but if you really and truely want to be adopted, I suggest you ask at a more active thread.

However, adoption is not necessary to being active. I didn't request adoption until I'd been here about 3-4 years. :rofl:

So, welcome, have fun, enjoy, explore and you can come back here and ask questions and we'll try to help, okay?

IrisBrandybuck

Postby heliona » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:08 am

Good heavens, is this the only Adoption thread active at the moment? We may have to do something about that!

I'm in the Gateway to the Bookworms' Lounge & Garden Adoption thread, as is truehobbit - I'd say we were still fairly active in there. :) And ready and willing to adopt! That adoption thread is in conjunction with a Bookworms' Lounge thread in the Talk forum, where we talk about what books we are reading and all sorts of things. :)

Any "newbie" questions, feel free to venture into the Bookworms' Thread if nobody checks this one (although Iris and Rowan are doing a fine job. :)).
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:17 am

This one generally alerts for me, but really, until The Hobbit breaks, you can pretty much ask anywhere and someone will help you out. I have a feeling that when the new movie does come out us old people are going to become quite crotchety and grumpy. :P

IrisBrandybuck

Postby heliona » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:23 am

IrisBrandybuck wrote:This one generally alerts for me, but really, until The Hobbit breaks, you can pretty much ask anywhere and someone will help you out. I have a feeling that when the new movie does come out us old people are going to become quite crotchety and grumpy. :P

Yes. all grumpy about being asked the same question over and over again and wishing for the "good old days" when nobody bothered us. :lol:;)

Thanks for reminding me that I want to put an alert for myself on the Bookworms' Thread. That'd help me notice any replies, wouldn't it? :blush:
Image<-- Sir Gwaine representing the letter "G" in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby Evenstar_of_Imladris » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:51 am

Thank you to everyone who kept everything from getting too dusty during my absence. :rofl:

I'm a bit rusty myself and need to re-learn many things about TORC before I feel qualified enough to help others! :P

For starters...is it official that The Hobbit is coming out?! This is news to me. :rofl:
Evenstar_of_Imladris
Ringbearer

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:14 pm

You HAVE been under a rock, haven't you? :rofl: YES, and I think in 3D...

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Evenstar_of_Imladris » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:56 pm

You know...TORC was really my only source for LotR and Hobbit related news so when I left for a year, well...you see. :P

3D? :shock:

I have yet to see a movie in 3D. :P
Evenstar_of_Imladris
Ringbearer

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:47 am

Seriously? Well, on one of the dates-not-a-date you guys need to see something in 3D.

Kids these days. :roll: :P

Toy Story 3 will be in 3D...

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Evenstar_of_Imladris » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:30 pm

Dates-not-a-date! :rofl:

I like this term. :P

It will have to be soon-ish - he's moving to Montana in the fall to go to school. :(
Evenstar_of_Imladris
Ringbearer

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:36 am

That keeps happening to you. :(

:hug:

IrisBrandybuck

PreviousNext

Return to Adoptions