Evenstar's Emporium of All Things Newbie - Number Three! :o)

Need a hand learning the ropes? Come here and find an experienced poster to adopt you! Visit the First Stop thread for a list of all those currently involved in the mentoring process and their interests and areas.

Postby Nicasam » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:42 pm

Oh.....ok....ummmm :oops:

*Goes to get his pacifier*

I'll be sleeping, wake me If im needed
Nicasam
Ranger of the North

Postby MouseofMordor » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:55 am

night night little baby. :P
MouseofMordor
Ranger of the North

Location: That place you can't reach because it is too small to get into.

Postby Nicasam » Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:11 pm

I will sleep when I want to... :P
Nicasam
Ranger of the North

Postby Evenstar_of_Imladris » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:35 pm

Alright kiddos...take it to the chat thread. ;)
Evenstar_of_Imladris
Ringbearer

Postby Nicasam » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:42 pm

Yes ma'am...

*Takes "it" to the Chat thread along with all that other stuff*

Be there Mouse...or be ummm yeah
Nicasam
Ranger of the North

Postby Erumahtar » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:24 am

Hello Eve.

We have met elsewhere, but once this is your official adoption thread, I would like to make some questions if that is OK with you, one by one.

So, is there any chat room in TORC?

Enough for today.

Waiting for your answer :)
Erumahtar
Ranger of the North

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:48 am

I suspect Imi is still in bed, so I'll answer.

No.

Sorry! Fast paced posting on message boards is about as close as we get. Some of the "rooms" are a lot faster than others...the Emporium can get pretty fast sometimes, I think the record is less than a week for 60+ pages.

BTW: have we asked you in Eru for a nickname? We're all very lazy and will probably give you one if you don't choose one. :)

Always...

"I'd rather kiss a Wookie..."

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck
I can't brain today. I have the dumb.

Postby Evenstar_of_Imladris » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:12 pm

Actually...I wasn't even home when you posted! :oops:

(You posted at 1:30 am my time :) )

I didn't get home until 2:30, but I promptly went to bed. ;)

Anyhoo...Iris did a great job answering your question. :)

Please feel free to ask any questions at all - that's what we're here for! :D
Evenstar_of_Imladris
Ringbearer

Postby Erumahtar » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:44 am

IrisBrandybuck wrote:I suspect Imi is still in bed, so I'll answer.

No.

Sorry! Fast paced posting on message boards is about as close as we get. Some of the "rooms" are a lot faster than others...the Emporium can get pretty fast sometimes, I think the record is less than a week for 60+ pages.

BTW: have we asked you in Eru for a nickname? We're all very lazy and will probably give you one if you don't choose one. :)

Thank you for the info.

As for the nickname, rwhen has already given one to me and you have written that in your answer, it's Eru, but always with capital e, 'cause I think there is an eru with small one.
Erumahtar
Ranger of the North

Postby Erumahtar » Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:17 am

Hello again.

I have another question. I am thinking of opening a thread about people from southeastern Europe. I know where to open it, but I don't know if I have to make any reference to Tolkien's world.

C u :)
Erumahtar
Ranger of the North

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:49 pm

Nope, you're ok. :)

Most of the community these days isn't Tolkien related, except mostly for names. You'll notice in the message board list section that some stuff is specifically Tolkien, like discussion on his books, other works, etc. Then there's stuff that's totally unrelated.

Good luck!

Always...

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck

Postby Erumahtar » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:17 am

IrisBrandybuck wrote:Nope, you're ok. :)

Most of the community these days isn't Tolkien related, except mostly for names. You'll notice in the message board list section that some stuff is specifically Tolkien, like discussion on his books, other works, etc. Then there's stuff that's totally unrelated.

Good luck!

Thanks. I'' give it a try. :wink:
Erumahtar
Ranger of the North

Postby Erumahtar » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:15 am

Hello once again.

I have come up with another question if that doesn't bother you, Eve.

Is there any way of finding out if someone before me has opened a thread I want to open?

Erumahtar
Ranger of the North

Postby Evenstar_of_Imladris » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:54 pm

It's not a problem! :D

Your best bet (other than searching page after page after page) is to use the search function. Our search function (in my experience) is not the most effective tool ever, but other than endless searching, I think that's it. :)
Evenstar_of_Imladris
Ringbearer

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:12 am

Eru: If you have the Google Toolbar installed in your browser, you can get it to search a particular site. Type in your keyword and then click on....I think the arrow by the word Google (I don't have my computer at the moment, so I'm not sure.) That "might" work better than the search function on the site.

Also, if you go to the topic area where you want to start the thread and go back sevearl pages, scanning each, you might be ok. The really old threads are either locked or forgotten. You can always say at the top of your first post "Mods, if this should be somewhere else, please feel free to move it/notify me." We've got some pretty cool mods here and they're always helpful.

Well, except Gil....:P :D

Always...

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Erumahtar » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:30 am

IrisBrandybuck wrote:Eru: If you have the Google Toolbar installed in your browser, you can get it to search a particular site. Type in your keyword and then click on....I think the arrow by the word Google (I don't have my computer at the moment, so I'm not sure.) That "might" work better than the search function on the site.

Also, if you go to the topic area where you want to start the thread and go back sevearl pages, scanning each, you might be ok. The really old threads are either locked or forgotten. You can always say at the top of your first post "Mods, if this should be somewhere else, please feel free to move it/notify me." We've got some pretty cool mods here and they're always helpful.

Well, except Gil....:P :D

Thanks you both Eve and Iris.

Iris, I don't have the Goolge Toolbar, but I will try the two other ways you suggested me.

God bless you!
Erumahtar
Ranger of the North

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:57 am

Eru: something else to note: if you want to quote someone, it might be better to not hit the "quote all" button at the top of their post. Instead, highlight and copy what you specifically want to quote, then use the quote button at the top of your reply page to open the quote, paste your quote, then hit the button again.

Or you can type it in (without the spaces I've included): [ quote ] My quote [ / quote ] which will look like this:
My quote

Or, if you want to use someone's name, you can do it this way (again, without the spaces) [ quote="Imi" ] Hi everyone. [ /quote ] Which will look like this:
Imi wrote:Hi, everyone.

I'm telling you all this because it took me a while to figure out how to do it myself. :D

Always...

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Erumahtar » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:25 am

Thanks, Iris. Very kind of you. :)

Some one has already shown that to me, but I am a little bit lazy. :!:
Erumahtar
Ranger of the North

Postby Hina_Star » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:19 am

Umm hey...I'm new and I'm not quite sure what I can do on here...can anyone help me? :?
Hina_Star
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Erumahtar » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:15 pm

There are many things that you can do, but first start with a presentation of your self in the Welcome forum. Tell something about yourself, but leave out your age and your city.

Read Terms of Service and all the yellow threads in the forums. They are found in th etop of each forum.

Welcome to TORC.

C u around. :wink:
Erumahtar
Ranger of the North

Postby noela » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:58 am

Hi I am a newie, have been floating around the boards, made a few posts, but need some help to get to know my round properly.
noela
Shield Bearer

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:59 am

Hi, noela! Welcome! Imi is out and about somewhere, (that is, Evenstar of Imladris...we're into nicknames here!) so I'll greet you.
Well, first you can check out the terms of serviceHERE and wander around a bit and read some stuff. This thread is a good place to come and ask questions, too.

You might not want to post in bold too much, unless you really want to emphasize everything you say. ;)

And don't listen to Toby (that's standard...we tell everyone, and no one listens, not even us!)
IrisBrandybuck

Postby Evenstar_of_Imladris » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:17 am

Hi there noela - welcome to TORC! :D

Iris has done a good job of pointing you in the right direction so I'll just reiterate something she said. Please feel free to post any questions you have here and if you want, head over to the talk forum and check out the Emporium's chat thread and meet the rest of the family! :)
Evenstar_of_Imladris
Ringbearer

Postby Erumahtar » Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:21 pm

"Well, I'm back."

Nice to see you home, Eve :wink:
Erumahtar
Ranger of the North

Postby noela » Wed May 02, 2007 5:07 am

Hi Eve, just thought I would drop in and let you know how I am doing.
I have been to Manwe quite a bit and am having fun and serious debates there.
I have looked for the chat thread where I can find you and the rest of the family, but have so far been unsuccessfull. This place is just so vast, you can get lost easily. Would appreciate some broad hints on how to find you all. Guess I am just dumb or need to become a better navigator. :D

Looking forwar to finding where I am going
Noela
noela
Shield Bearer

Postby entmaiden_laurelin » Wed May 16, 2007 10:18 am

Hmm, can't remember if I saw you in the chat thread or not, so if you didn't find it it's here. :)

You'll see most of us all over the boards, but you'll find me mostly in Talk, Tom's House and Alliances and Guilds. Say hi!
entmaiden_laurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby noela » Wed May 16, 2007 5:45 pm

Thank you Entmaiden, on my way
noela
Shield Bearer

Postby Doggins » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:45 pm

HIHIHIHIHIHIHIH!!!
Miss me?

What did little Doggins do while she was away? She moved straight accross the US of A, and then she moved again. And now she is sick if moving.....what's up? :rofl: :cry2:
Doggins
Citizen of Imladris

Postby F Horn of Gondor » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:24 pm

hello... is this where I come to get adopted? :) Brand new to the site.. not so much to fan forums, but this is my first LOTR forum I've been to.
F Horn of Gondor

Wow... it's been a long time!!!

Postby Lomiothiel » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:50 am

So... a friend of mine was discussing the Chicago Moot and mentioned it was through The One Ring.com and I told her, hey... wait... I remember that forum, it was ages ago that I joined (and unfortunately didn't get to post much due to heavy undergrad class loads)!

So I decided to do some forum archeology to see if I still had a log-in and lo and behold... here it is! LOL. Not only that but I am still on your list of adoptees! It's been a long time e-family... I've met some great people through LOTR boards (as well as other fandom sites) and am lucky enough to count a few of them as "real life" friends (ie I make them go with me to conventions! :D ) I usually go by Lomiothiel or just plain Lomi...

Since I last wandered here, I've moved on to graduate school where I'm working on a master's in library science. I really want to work as a high school or young adult librarian. A Tolkien geek who likes books? You don't say! I work as a reference assistant (where I am right now) so I have a lot of down time at the desk so I hope to be able to get to know everyone here better than I did before.

Besides all things Tolkien, I'm obsessed with cosplay (even at my age it's fun to play dress up!), theatre, Doctor Who, comics, anime, Harry Potter, board games, learning to knit, typography and other such geeky things. If it's geeky, I probably love it :)

So hello again and I look forward to chatting with you all soon!
Lomiothiel

PreviousNext

Return to Adoptions