Bookworms' Gateway to the Lounge & Garden III - All Welcome

Need a hand learning the ropes? Come here and find an experienced poster to adopt you! Visit the First Stop thread for a list of all those currently involved in the mentoring process and their interests and areas.

Re: Bookworms' Gateway to the Lounge & Garden III - All Welc

Postby heliona » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:13 pm

A belated welcome, Lancaeriel. (For some reason, I'm not getting emails for replies to this topic anymore, otherwise I would have been here right away.)

I hope you're enjoying your time on TORC and any time you're confused, please feel free to return here and ask any questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby Lancaeriel » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:49 am

Thank you very much! Oh it's fine don't worry about it. I am enjoying myself greatly so far, I'll be sure to return here if I do have any questions.
Lancaeriel
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Corsair_Caruso » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:09 pm

Hello, everyone. I'm very, very new: I've just registered and you're reading my very first post. I've been looking for a Tolkien forum-home, and haven't quite found the right place yet. I stumbled across this place and thought I'd give it a try.

So let's see... I've been reading Tolkien's works for about 18 years now. I've read The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, The Children of Hurin, and am currently working my way through Morgoth's Ring, The Peoples of Middle-earth, and The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien.

I write a smattering of Tolkien fanfiction (and the occasional poem), mostly of the "Alternate History" variety, examining what might have happened if certain historical events had gone differently in Arda. I enjoy reading fanfiction set in Middle-earth as well, though I usually avoid stories with major emphasis on romance, "cross-overs" from other fictional settings, or original characters that could not or do not originate in Middle-earth (though I keep an open mind and have and do enjoy well-written stories that fall within those categories).

I'm a doctoral student in vocal performance/opera, and am actually considering doing my doctoral thesis recital on Donald Swann's "The Road Goes Ever On," which was set to Professor Tolkien's poetry and even includes a melody created by the Professor himself! (You probably all know about that work already, but I'm so excited about it! :D).

I enjoy discussing Middle-earth history, discussing the philosophy of Middle-earth (both internal and external), learning more about the Professor's constructed languages, discussing the various opinions on the merits and flaws of the various adaptations of the books (film and otherwise), and sharing and discussing original works of art (visual, literary, etc...) inspired by the books as well.

So, I guess that's about all I can think of to say. I'd love to learn more about the ins and outs of the website and how I can participate and contribute in a meaningful way to the forum! :)
Corsair_Caruso
Citizen of Imladris

Postby heliona » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:08 am

Hello, Corsair_Caruso and welcome to TORC (as this website and forum is known).

Sounds like you've come to the exactly the right place for your interests. The forum titles are pretty self-explanatory, so I suggest you just browse the forums and dive right in! In my signature, there are links to guides on advice for using the forum (if you can't see my signature, then the guide is a sticky thread at the top of the Welcome forum).

If you have any questions, then feel free to ask them here and I (or any of the other adopters) will attempt to answer them.

I do have a question for you. How did you get the italics and smileys in your post? This messageboard had a reboot at the beginning of the year and for me, since then, this forum has had the BBCode turned off, which means I can't use italics or any formatting and smileys. So I'm curious how you managed it, and if it was simple BBCode, why it is turned off for me, but not you. :)
heliona

Postby siddharth » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:21 am

Hello Corsair_Caruso. It's great to have you here and this is very much one of the best Tolkien-fansites.

You certainly have read far more than I ever have. I look forward to interacting with you on the boards. It doesn't take much an effort to wander around. Every section is described underneath of what it is for.

Since you mentioned fan-fics, I suggest you to take a look in the Inn of Prancing Pony section where our members participate in collaborative writing. In my opinion those are one of the best fan-fics you will find on the net. Of course among them are light-RPs which are meant just for fun and a virtual adventure.

Anyway, enjoy! :)

PS: Me too. How did you do it Corsair? The smilies?
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Corsair_Caruso » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:13 pm

Thanks for the welcomes, everyone. It's so weird, I seem to remember having a little control panel that gave me all sorts of options to use bold, italics, etc... but I can't seem to find it now. I never questioned it before, but now that I'm trying to use it, I can't find it. The smileys are just typed in as I would in any message, a colon followed by a capital D or parenthesis. I'm familiar with BBCode... let's experiment.

:D
:)
[i]italics[/i]
[u]underline[/u]
[b]bold[/b]

Nope, doesn't seem to work any more. I honestly have no idea how I did any of those things before. Sorry, friends.

@heliona: Thanks for the warm welcome, I plan to dive right in, right now. :D

@siddharth: I look forward to interacting with you too, and everyone else! Thanks for the recommendation for the collaborative writing area, I'll definitely take a look right away.
Corsair_Caruso
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Arlaug » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:21 am

This seems like a fairly cosy thread to post.
I am obviously a greenish newbie. Being a Tolkien admirer since my childhood age ( I am 22 now) I sought for a place where I could interact with freethinkers and people with similar approach to everything ME. I found several boards over the years but none has kept my attention for long, nor did I have any will to post, I usually just lurked around for a while with my nick and then departed. Finding TOR in late 2013. gave me a push to start posting again. I borrowed Silmarillion which I haven't read since my high-school days and it would be good to set off a 2014. with some of Old ages
My main interest are theater/drama, be it Victorian, Jacobean or Beckettesque, literature and philosophy in general (though I am evermore influenced by anything Camus'), history. mythology and photography. I am a senior-year student of law but seeking further education (hopefully) in theatre.

I would love to brush up my ignorant knowledge of Tengwar and Quenya, but my curiosity is already set loose with all the people I've seen posting around. As mentioned above "I'd love to learn more about the ins and outs of the website and how I can participate and contribute in a meaningful way to the forum!"
Vanja.
Arlaug
Shield Bearer

Postby heliona » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:53 am

Hello Arlaug, and welcome!

I've seen you posting in various forums, so you've already taken the plunge, so to speak. It sounds like you'd like the Books forum. It can be a bit quiet sometimes, but I suggest you browse through it and see if anything strikes your fancy. There are some interesting threads to read, if nothing else. I also suggest that you go back through the pages quite a bit, since some good threads get buried (there is a list of good Books' thread at the top of the forum, but it hasn't been updated in some time, unfortunately). If you want to start a new topic, a quick Google search of the forum (the forum search itself isn't particularly good) will let you know if any threads on that topic have already been opened. If you can't find anything, then post away (also, an older poster might remember an old thread and point you in the direction of it - please don't feel like this is a telling off. We know how difficult it can be to find old threads).

You certainly sound as though you have a lot of interests, and a nice diverse area too. For Elvish languages, the Language forum is the place to go. Don't be put off by the numerous threads asking for tattoo translations - I'm sure the regular posters in there (who do the translations and have a great knowledge of the languages of Tolkien) would be overjoyed to see a thread that wasn't just asking for a translation but actually discussing the languages themselves!

As for the "ins and outs" of the website, if you either click on the thread link in my signature (which you can see in any other forum other than this one) or go to the Welcome forum and click on my thread there (the Comprehensive guide), that should answer some of your questions. Any other questions or clarification you need, or just a friendly chat, post here, and I should be able to answer you (I get email notifications to this thread, so I'll be here as quickly as I can).

Once again, welcome to TORC and happy posting. :)
heliona

Postby Arlaug » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:29 am

Great, thankyou so much.
I forgot to add a small question I had- what is the meaning of avatar designs? Some I could reckon but others I didn't.
Arlaug
Shield Bearer

Postby heliona » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:50 am

Ah, they're all explained in the Comprehensive guide. They're various "allegiances" to chose from, if you like. For instance, I'm in the House of Finrod Felagund. I believe most of the designs stem from Tolkien's own designs.
heliona

Postby RideroftheRohirrim » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:31 pm

Hi!
I'm new here, obviously. Like pretty much everyone else ever, I saw "The Fellowship of the Ring" in 2001, prompting me to read Tolkien's books, and I've been hooked ever since. I've never participated in an online forum before, so I'm excited to learn how this all works.
I would like to consider myself an LOTR geek, but judging by what others are posting, I fear I am not as knowledgeable as many who frequent this site. Is that going to be a problem?
I live in the US, and am working on my Master's degree in information science. My Bachelor's degree is in art history, which is about the only thing that causes me to geek out more than LOTR. Since my Christmas break involved watching the extended editions of LOTR and visiting 4 major art museums, it was absolutely blissful!!
I look forward to meeting other posters, and am excited to talk about LOTR!
RideroftheRohirrim

Postby heliona » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:21 am

Welcome, RideroftheRohirrim! (I suspect that might get shortened quickly, if you don't mind. Perhaps to "Rider".)

The people who post on this messageboard (which is affectionately known as TORC - from theonering.com) come from a variety of lifestyles and have been introduced to Tolkien in various ways. There are posters like yourself who were introduced via the films, fell in love with the world, and then devoured the books. And there are others who were introduced to the books as children and grew up reading them. Some people love the films, and some people find fault with them. It's that diversity that makes this site so wonderful. Don't worry about not knowing as much as others. I felt like that when I joined, but people will be gentle and correct you by providing references to the works where things are mentioned. Perhaps make mention that you've not read a certain book so people understand where you're coming from.

As you're obviously interested in art, perhaps dip into the art forum, which sadly isn't very popular at moment. Hopefully someone like you could bring a breath of fresh air into it. Of course the Books forum and the Movies forum are self-explanatory. If you want to just chat and get to know people more, then the Talk forum is the place to go. I post regularly in the TVM thread and the Home Alone thread, if you want to pop in and say hello.

You say you've not posted on an online forum before, so I suggest you check out the Comprehensive Guide available. You can see it a link to it in my signature (which can be seen in every other forum apart from this one) and it is a sticky thread at the top of the Welcome forum.

If you have any questions, just post them here and I'll be happy to answer them.

Welcome again, and I look forward to seeing your posts. :)
heliona

Postby LittleAxphesis » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:44 pm

Hello! ^ ^ I'm Axphesis, or my real [nick]name is Quinn :bookworm:, but you can call me whatever you want; even insults are okay
with me, Lord knows I deserve it. ^^;As you can tell by the user; I am...pretty little :hihi:

I'm new, as obvious statement >~<

I'm pretty shy, and I always think I'm bothering people. You know, that typical teenage girl thing. Anyway,
like most of you I watched the movies and read all the books. My brothers introduced me to the movies at a young age,
and I had loved it ever since. When I was younger, I didn't know what was going on and just watched the pretty pictures.
But years later, I stole The Hobbit from my oldest brother and read it all. I fell in love with it and found myself
reading the rest of the Tolkien books as well as re-watching the movies to comprehend everything. My life is
greatly impacted by the Middle Earth world created by Tolkien in many forms. I'm an aspiring young artist and writer
who also enjoys bunches of Sci-Fi and fantasy (Transformers, DC Comics/Universe, Marvel, Star Trek [+the old episodes],
and a bunch more). For my age, I'm under 18, that's all that's needed to be said. I discovered TORC just a few moments
ago (heh), and I found that I wanted to get involved. Soon, I may get my best friend to join as well. He got me to express
my love for LotR, the Hobbit, and everything Tolkien u///u. I write in small font because... that's me, small and shy ^^;
I bruise easily and I'm stupidly sensitive. So anything could make me believe you hate me ^-^; sorry...

As I love drawing, I'll draw anything for anyone at now cost ^^ I don't know how it works here, but if you'd like, you could
contact me some how and ask me to draw whatever you want. I don't mind. Sample art: I'm CandiMoonBeam2 on dA :)

I hope I can be friends with some of you. I'm sorry if I bothered and I hope this is still open >< I hope I didn't put TMI...
LittleAxphesis

Postby heliona » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:26 am

Hello, LittleAxphesis and welcome to TORC. :)

I'm glad that the movies have introduced another person to the joys of Tolkien's writing. We have a great mix of people here on TORC, although I'd say that quite a few people had been reading Tolkien long before the movies were even thought about (myself included), but we also have a lot of people who were introduced to Tolkien through the films. :)

If you like art, I suggest checking out the art forum. As I said in my previous post, it is sadly a little quiet at the moment, however, the more people post in it, the busier it will get. :) Also, feel free to browse the rest of the website and don't worry about creating new posts. I'd just suggest that you do a search to find out whether the topic has been discussed already (I find it's often better to use Google, rather than the search facility on this website). Pop into the Talk section and say hello - I frequent the "Hello" and "TVM" threads there - we're all nice and gentle there.

Speaking of which, you say you're quite sensitive. Please be aware that misunderstandings are very easy over the internet, and people may sound like they're being nasty but they're not. Don't let it put you off. :)

If you haven't already, I suggest you read the Guides that are found at the top of the Welcome forum - they will hopefully answer any questions you have. If not, then simply ask here and I'll do my best to answer them. :)

Once again, welcome to TORC and I hope to see you posting. :)
heliona

Postby Adaminth The Grey » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:36 pm

Hello everybody!

Oh it seems to be a very nice and cosy place here.... and so I just found the courage to pout the first steps on the road again. Oh yes - again: I lived here before, but I don't know how, it was just disappeared... I wrote less and less and came to a visit not as frequently as I did previously. And I did not manage even in the "great" time of the films. So what. Now I'm here and I just wonder how this place developed during the years.
I read Lord of the Rings as my first great fantasy book (yes I know there are three of them...), and was absolutely fascinated. That was decades ago. Then somehow I fell into love with middleearth and read The HObbit, Silmarillion here and there some little tales and got deeper and deeper into it.
Actually I try to write a fanfiction story but since I am much more into drawing it takes lots of time ;o) Anyway... some day it will be at a postable level...

So I will be really glad if someone thinks that adopting me might be funny and nice. I can promise you it will :o)
Oh I should tell you: I am not a native speaker - as you must have noticed already... Anyway...

Best wishes yours rebirthed Adaminth
Adaminth The Grey
Shield Bearer

Postby heliona » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:42 pm

Adaminth, welcome back!

It's always nice to see people return and I hope you stay around. I'm absolutely willing to adopt you. Please feel free to ask as many questions as you feel you need to. For questions about the forums and posting etc, the Comprehensive Guide at the top of the Welcome forum is pretty handy, but I'm happy to answer any questions you may have. :-)
heliona

Postby Adaminth The Grey » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:53 pm

Dear Heliona!
Thanks a lot for the warm wellcome! It is so good to learn that there are still people living here and who are so lovely!
I think I will ask you a lot - and I am glad to be your newest adoptee :o))
Adaminth The Grey
Shield Bearer

Postby Euridice » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:28 am

Hi!

I'm new here and I just wanted to introduce myself!
I'm a 24 year old girl living in Belgium who loves fantasy. Been a lotr fan since I was 9 and my favorite character of all time is treebeard!
Still love other characters but he is just awesome.
Also love reading and music (I play bagpipe).

And that's about it Iguess :) Unless you want to know more, feel free to ask!

Oh and how does the adoption work?

bye!
Euridice

Postby heliona » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:21 pm

Welcome, Euridice.

The adoption process is quite simple: basically, I can advise you on good places to post going by your interests (the Music forum is quite quiet, but by all means pop in and contribute. Perhaps it will encourage others to post more. :) ). Also, any questions you have about how to use the forum, or any kind of advice that you need, you can come here and ask me, or else email me using the little envelope below my name, and I'll do my best to answer all your questions. :)

The best thing I can suggest is you explore the forums and start to read the threads and contribute. You'll get the swing of things pretty quickly. With regards how the ins and outs of posting, then check out the Comprehensive Guide at the top of the Welcome forum (in other forums, where you can see my signature, there's a link to the Guide as well).

Once again, welcome, and I really hope you enjoy your time here. And ask me anything you need to. :)
heliona

Postby Vanaladiel » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:44 pm

Heliona I am glad that Euridice found you in. I was not in at the time but am glad that she found someone to show them the ropes.

Welcome again Euridice!!!
Image Spring come quickly!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Previous

Return to Adoptions