Bookworms' Gateway to the Lounge & Garden III - All Welcome

Need a hand learning the ropes? Come here and find an experienced poster to adopt you! Visit the First Stop thread for a list of all those currently involved in the mentoring process and their interests and areas.

Re: Bookworms' Gateway to the Lounge & Garden III - All Welc

Postby siddharth » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:18 am

Can anyone tell me, what my avatar means? Thanks!
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby truehobbit » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:15 am

Hi Siddarth, and welcome to the bookworms! :D

Your avatar is the symbol of the 'House of Thranduil'.

The messageboard got a make-over a few months ago - I'm sure it used to say what alliance the icons stand for, but it's gone now. Hopefully, the descriptions will be back some day. In the meantime, if for some reason you'd rather not show an alliance to the house of Thranduil, you can right-click on an icon and go to "properties" - the name of the alliance will be at the top as the name of the image.
I think it's a very pretty icon, though. :) I have in the past been tempted to try different icons myself, but considering myself a hobbit, I've always flown the flag of the Shire. :D
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby siddharth » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:47 am

Thanks for your welcome truehobbit.
So I am one. of the wood-elves!
It's great.:D I have changed my avatar thrice now!:) My last one was the one you are using, though I did not knew that it was the Shire's. Among the others I could make out the Rohan flag, Hand of Saruman and the Red eye of Mordor.
I would sure look at the other icons as well.

Thanks!!!!
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:03 pm

Indeed there used to be a description of each of the Alliances before the messageboard upgrade. There also used to be an explanation in a thread in the Welcome forum, which has apparently been deleted. However, I managed to find it and update it, so if you want to know about all the alliances (and also a lot of other info about the board) take a look at this thread: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=104870
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby siddharth » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:08 am

Thanks heliona for putting that up!
I'll stay with Thranduil after all :) I really liked Elrond and Cirdan, but this one's really beautiful!
Thanks a lot.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby GreyWitch » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:34 am

heliona, thank you for the welcome and for the link to that wonderful thread full of pretty much everything I wanted to know about TORC! It actually answered my other unasked question about why my signature never shows up after my posts although I've uploaded a pretty picture of Aragorn to serve as my sig. Oh well, I guess I'll have to do without until I find money to buy a PM.

siddharth, nice to see you here as well.
GreyWitch
Citizen of Imladris

Postby heliona » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:40 am

No problem, GreyWitch (lovely username, by the way) and I'm glad that the thread was useful.

One thing I'm not sure is mentioned in that thread is that at the moment, it's impossible to get a Premiere Membership. Jonathan has disabled that option until he can set up a new system (he wants to give people more options in terms of length of time bought). Usually there is a link underneath people's posts (those posters who do not have PMs) to give them a PM, but that isn't around at the moment. So even if you had the money, you couldn't have a PM. Only those of us who had active PMs before the messageboard upgrade have them at the moment. So you can save up in the knowledge that when the option becomes available, then you'll have the money to buy one if you like. :)
heliona

Postby GreyWitch » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:37 am

[quote="heliona"]No problem, GreyWitch (lovely username, by the way) and I'm glad that the thread was useful.
[/quote]
Thank you!

Well, OK then. I guess I'll have to wait.
GreyWitch
Citizen of Imladris

Postby siddharth » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:10 pm

Hey heliona, how do you "hide" a link inside a word?
I mean, I write a word like "here" and if anyone clicks it, it leads to another link.
I have seen that being used by many TORCers.

I appreciate the help. :)
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:51 am

Hi siddharth.

No problem. There are two ways, but the code is the same.

Instead of:

[url]http://....etc[/url]

write

[url=http://....etc]The website name[/url]

Do you see the difference? In the top one, the url for the website is between the BBCode tags, whereas in second one, the URL is inside the first BBCode and the words you want to use to describe the website are between the tags.

Regarding the two ways, I was referring to the fact that you can either type out the tags (like I just did and you have to do in this forum anyway as BBCode is disabled) or else you can use the little buttons above the posting box (although then you'll have to add the "=" and remember to put the link inside the first set of brackets).

Hope that helped!
heliona

Postby siddharth » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:09 am

Hey that was fast!!!! :D

I got it! Thanks a lot... again.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby siddharth » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:42 am

Hi heliona!

Nothing important important this time.
I noticed that many TORC'ers use smilies which are not in my smiley board. Your telescope smiliey for example. So, do we have to get them from somewhere else or is it an error with my profile?
Thanks! :D

PS: How was the sky-watching? :) You were going to view the sky through the tele, right? :)
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:07 pm

Yes, we get them from somewhere else and then link to them using the [img] tags. :) I just Google what I'm looking for and see what comes up.

As for the sky-watching, I didn't actually use my telescope - it's currently broken, and I haven't had a chance to get it fixed yet. I didn't get to see the asteroid as it turned out I was looking too early, initially in the wrong direction, and in the right direction it was cloudy, so even if I'd got the time right, I'd have not seen anything anyway! But Sirius was lovely and bright, and Jupiter was shining brightly, so it wasn't a complete bust.
heliona

Postby siddharth » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:52 am

You saw the stars and Jupiter anyway. That feeling never gets old!! I love sky-watching though I always get to see the same things (stars and some planets). I am thinking of doing it tonight with my binoculars. :)

Anyway, what should I type to search for smilies? (sorry for my ignorance :P and thanks! You're the best adoptee and the fastest too :D *thumbs up*)
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:03 am

Just type whatever you're looking for. For instance, when I wanted an astronomer smiley, I Googled "astronomer smiley" and looked at the images. If I recall correctly, I didn't actually see what I wanted, so I re-searched for "telescope smiley" and found one that I wanted. Then I just linked to it using the [img] tags. :) There are some free smiley websites out there, but I've found that just searching via Google (or your search engine of choice) and looking through the images is easier. :)

And thank you - I do my best! :)
heliona

Postby Armenelos » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:56 am

I got an email subscription email for a thread, and realized I hadn't been to the site in several years. I didn't see a regular bookworm thread, so I'm just going to post this here. I hope you're all well. I don't have time to use the board, but I wanted to leave you all my Facebook page so anyone who knew me can keep in touch with me if they want. Is there any TOR Facebook group that I could be a part of to keep up with people? All the best, friends.

https://www.facebook.com/matarooney
Armenelos
Mariner

Postby heliona » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:40 am

The regular Bookworm thread has sunk down several pages in Talk. I guess everyone who posts is busier (I know I am!).

There is a Meta-TORC page on Facebook with lots of people registered and posting: http://www.facebook.com/groups/2424762804/

Good to see you, if only briefly!
heliona

Postby siddharth » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:11 am

Hey, it's been a bit quiet here.

Happy spring to all the fellow bookworms!!!!!!!!!

(Hugs all around)

*Wipes the dust off the books*.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby VardaElantari II » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:39 pm

Hi Everyone,

It's been so long since I've been here, I forgot my email addy and had to reincarnate as Varda II! It's good to see all of the new faces and fantastic to see that some of my old friends are still around! TrueHobbit - hope you're doing well!!

Now I've got to figure out how to get myself a lovely avatar . . .geez it has been a loooooong time!

Best,

Varda
VardaElantari II
Petitioner to the Council

Postby rowanberry » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:14 am

To get an avatar, go to your User Control Panel (link on the upper right of the page, just below the Login/Logout button). There, click on Profile in the menu on the left, and then on Edit avatar. There, you should see a Display Gallery button; go there and choose your banner. :)
rowanberry
+++Out Of Cheese Error+++

Postby heliona » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:35 pm

Welcome back, Varda. :)

TORC has changed a bit in recent times. I'd suggest giving the Welcome thread (linked in my signature, or stickied at the top of the Welcome forum) a quick read, as some things have changed (like finding the avatars, for instance!).
heliona

Postby barrelrider » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:32 pm

Hello everyone, I'm barrelrider! I'm new to the forum. I am currently reading the series, and I saw the movies long ago. The Hobbit used to be one of my favorite books growing up and is still in my top 5. I am currently about two thirds of the way into the Fellowship of the Rings.

I'm a college student learning costume and stage construction. I am a fan of books and board games, as well as hiking and crafts. I came here for discussion and new people, it's lovely to meet you all!
barrelrider
Citizen of Imladris

Postby heliona » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:08 am

"Hello everyone, I'm barrelrider! I'm new to the forum. I am currently reading the series, and I saw the movies long ago. The Hobbit used to be one of my favorite books growing up and is still in my top 5. I am currently about two thirds of the way into the Fellowship of the Rings.

I'm a college student learning costume and stage construction. I am a fan of books and board games, as well as hiking and crafts. I came here for discussion and new people, it's lovely to meet you all!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome, barrelrider! Fabulous name - one of my favourite parts of "The Hobbit".

Sounds like you've come to the right place. Take your time and explore the different forums. I'd suggest you give the Comprehensive Guide (linked to in my signature (which you can see in my posts in every other forum apart from this one) or go to the Welcome forum - it is at the top of the forum) a quick read, to get the idea of how things work on this forum. Some things can be a bit different from other messageboards.

Otherwise, browse and post away. "The Hobbit" was one of my favourite books as a child too, and I still love it to pieces. I'm sure you'll enjoy reading "Lord of the Rings".

Your college course sounds really interesting. When I was at school, I was assistant stage manager and in charge of props for school drama productions, and it was a great deal of fun. Interesting too.
Last edited by heliona on Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
heliona

Postby Himrandir » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:48 pm

Well, hello, and well met, to the gay folk who dance merrily under the leaves. Let us come and see what is to be done!
Hello, it's nice to meet you, to the happy people of this thread. What is there to do here? (That hasn't died/is already in the hands of others and feels intimidating to join in)
Himrandir

Postby siddharth » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:07 am

[quote="Himrandir"]Well, hello, and well met, to the gay folk who dance merrily under the leaves. Let us come and see what is to be done! [/quote]
Great to see you and welcome to TORC Himrandir. :D

[quote]
Hello, it's nice to meet you, to the happy people of this thread. What is there to do here? (That hasn't died/is already in the hands of others and feels intimidating to join in)[/quote]

First of all please read the guidelines for this messageboard compiled by Heliona in the Welcome forum (if you haven't done it yet!)
Well of the forums that aren't deserted. The movies and books are alive and frequently visited. That's a good place for a start. Besides that, if you want to know more about the people here or let us know more about you, the Talk forum is always there. We'll be glad to have you there. There are some Tolkien (and non-Tolkien) games in Tom's House, you can play for fun.
I'm afraid the other forums are comparatively less visited ( some threads in the Alliance and Guilds are still open though).

See you around. :)
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:53 am

What sidd said. Welcome!

Please don't feel put off jumping into a thread that's been around for a while - if that is your attitude, you may find it difficult to find any threads to chat in. Also, bear in mind that most topics have been talked about already, so please make the effort to have a quick search for the topic you're interested in (I know the search function on this messageboard is rubbish - it is often better to use Google (or your preferred search engine) and use it to search the website ) before starting a new thread. If you don't, you may find someone pointing out that your thread is a duplicate and pointing you in the right direction.

I hope to see you around, and enjoy!
heliona

Postby Lancaeriel » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:42 pm

Hello. Im new here and extremely shy... I didn't know where else to go so I came here. You all seem friendly enough :)
Lancaeriel

Postby siddharth » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:56 pm

Why, hello Lancariel! Yes, we're friendly enough to mix with all kinds of people. Always a delight to see a new face here.

You can go and post here:

viewforum.php?f=30

at the Welcome section to get a broader Welocme! :D
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Melwa » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:03 pm

Welcome, Lancaeriel! I found that reading the guides at the top of each forum (beginning with the Welcome forum) helped me figure out where I wanted to go.
Melwa
Ranger of the North

Postby Lancaeriel » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:55 am

Thank you both very much. Im already feeling a bit more welcome! I think I will say a little something at the welcome board Siddharth, thanks, and your welcome was just fine. X3
Lancaeriel

PreviousNext

Return to Adoptions