Bookworms' Gateway to the Lounge & Garden III - All Welcome

Need a hand learning the ropes? Come here and find an experienced poster to adopt you! Visit the First Stop thread for a list of all those currently involved in the mentoring process and their interests and areas.

Postby Frodobaggins1986 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:11 pm

Someone messed up in the drama? I didn't notice!

Favorite characters... Bilbo, Frodo, Faramir, and Grima. (I relate to Grima in my bad moods.)
Frodobaggins1986
Shield Bearer

Postby No_Man » Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:47 pm

Yes, Frodo, someone did mess up in the skit, but since you were "sleeping", you wouldn't have seen it.

Varda, squash is a black currant juice concentrate commonly found in England. You mix about four parts water to one part squash for a delightfully refreshing and soothing drink. And Jaffa cakes (in case you didn't know since they are another British treat) are 'cake bars wrapped in plain (dark) chocolate with that smashing orangey bit.' And boy are they good!

I am really bummed today. I received a letter informing me that I did not receive the full ride scholarship I was hoping to get. :cry2: :( :cry2: :( I got full tuition (up to just under $5000), but I will have to pay my own room and board. I really thought I would get that full ride. I feel kind of like a failure because my older brother and sister received everything they tried for. I just wasn't good enough. (And failure is not taken well in my family.)

~N_M
No_Man
Shield Bearer

Postby striderchick » Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:27 pm

kaldaka welcome. my favourite character is Strider (of course). i love Arwen too.

hello truehobbit!!!

striderchick
striderchick
Ranger of the North

Postby truehobbit » Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:28 pm

No Man - What a pity you didn't get the full scholarship! :hug:
But you get full tuition - it's not like you failed! :shock:
How much will room and board cost you? Will you be able to afford it, with a weekend job for example?
I so hope you won't be in trouble from your family, or worry about it too much yourself. Believe an old woman (well, not that old, but twice your age :P ) - success in this world rarely has anything to do with how good you are.

But it's good to hear you were well for the play and that it went well and was fun! :D

*takes a Jaffa cake and a sip of squash*

I've never had squash, but I have fond memories of Jaffa cakes from a TORC moot almost two year ago now. :)

Varda, I didn't write so much on the exams, not comments at least - but I had to use a LOT of red ink! :roll: The way grammar was butchered in some papers was unbelievable!

(And, yes - ewww! Cutting up a whole pig? What do they do that for? :shock: )

Favourite character? Um, Frodo and Sam I guess if I had to choose - but normally I like them all so much, I couldn't really choose.

Hi striderchick - how are you? :)
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby striderchick » Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:49 pm

truehobbit :) i'm pretty good actually.. i'm going on a history trip soon.. we're all really excitted about it.. it's a four day trip to the Bay of Islands.. it's up the top end of the north island, and it holds a whole lot of NZ history.. it's a beautiful place.. plus it's four days off school..
and how are you?

striderchick
striderchick
Ranger of the North

Postby No_Man » Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:39 pm

Hobby, room and board costs a little more than tuition at this college. This may sound petty or childish, but the money isn't the issue. I wanted this scholarship, not for the funding (though it would have been nice), but for the honour and sense of achievement. I have worked in my family's business my entire life. Because of that, there has never been time to join clubs or enter academic competitions. So therefore, I have never led anything or won anything. I look over my life and see nothing but the work I have put in and the frustration I have received in return. My childhood ended when I entered kindergarten. From that point on my life has been dedicated to furthering the greenhouses. I had my "teen" years while I was still in the single digits. I was forced into adulthood before I turned thirteen. I was supervising employees while I was still a child. (And they did NOT like that at all! "Yeah, my overseer is a ten year old. How old is yours?") Because of all this, I have a strenuous time relating to most, if not all, of my 'peers.' (No offense, Frodo.) I am so different from them that at times it seems like I am trying to relate to a whole different creature. So what does this have to do with the scholarship? Receiving it would have said that all this stress has been worth it. I would have finally achieved something that I have been working for since I was five. And. . . . .what do you know, I didn't get it. Talk about a disappointment. Like I said, the money wasn't the issue. Having worked in the greenhouses for $10 a day, whether I earn it or not, and having generous grandparents over the years, I have accrued enough money to pay my own way through college. (And it isn't like I have had many opportunities to spend my money.)
Sorry to be so lacking in the cheerfulness department right now. Maybe I will get another shipment of smiles in soon. :wink:
~N_M
No_Man
Shield Bearer

Postby Frodobaggins1986 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:42 am

It is hard for me to relate to N_M, because, although I consider her my best friend, we are from two entirely different worlds.
N_M grew up in the country. I grew up in the city.
N_M was the last child born to her family. I was #3 out of seven.
N_M started working at a job as soon as her parents felt she could. I didn't get a job until I was 18.
Not to mention we're of opposite genders...
That's just the tip of the iceberg.
(And yes, people have expected us to get all "lovey-dovey," but neither of us see that happening!)

One problem we both have troubles with:
Overbearing mothers.
Frodobaggins1986
Shield Bearer

Postby salean » Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:45 am

Welcome Kaldaka!!!!!!! (And anyone else I haven't mentioned before)

My favorite character is Eomer. Tall, handsome, but unfortunately not nearly as much "screen time" as "book time."

I agree with that!!!!!!!!!!

I have three favourite favourite characters and they are Sam, Eowyn and Eomer. I feel that I can relate to Sam more than any other character in the book. I have this feeling that although it doesn't express it in so many words, at cetain points in the book Sam gets a little annoyed at Frodo gettin all the attention (don't ask where I get that from, it's probably just out of my friend) and yeah...... well anyway.... I also feel that I can sort of relate to Eowyn because she gets kinda annoyed that she isn't allowed to stuff because she is a girl. And Eomer for much the same reasons as Varda expressed. :P

*gasp* And I can't beleive I didn't mention Gollum!!!!!!!!!!
I think he is definitly the most interesting character in the book. I am also the only person I know that thinks Smeagol is sweet. My friends used to say that I had a pet Smeagol in my pocket that I could carry round. Don't know where they got that from but anyway....

Fairly close to those four also come Merry, Treebeard and Faramir.

One of my least favourite characters is Frodo. I don't know why, I just never seem to like the main characters in stories. I'm just strange.

N_M- :hug:

I heard someone mention Jaffa cakes?????? Where??????????? I want some ;) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:P Sal :P
salean
Ranger of the North

Postby VardaElantari » Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:52 pm

Hey Everybody!!!!

Great Quote From Sal:
*gasp* And I can't beleive I didn't mention Gollum!!!!!!!!!!

I forgot him, too! I have a Gollum statue on my desk at work. It's right next to a coffee cup that reads, "I only grant one request a day and today ain't your day. Tomorrow ain't lookin' good either!" It gets the point across when some of the profs come in looking for somebody to do something for them!! =:)

Frodo and N_M here's a :hug: from someone who had a very overbearing mom! I was an only child, too, so I didn't have anyone to share Mom with. :shock:

N_M here's a special, big :hug: for you!!!!! I hope the smile truck shows up soon at your door!! :) Squash sounds great. I hope I get to try it someday.

Hobby, she's majoring in Chemistry and minoring in Biochemical Engineering. The piggy is part of a Biology class she's having to take for her minor.

*Varda raises her glass of squash to all of her friends*

Cheers everyone!

V
VardaElantari
Rider of the Mark

Postby truehobbit » Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:21 am

Oh, No Man, I understand better now! I can imagine how you feel, and I agree that it's tough not getting a proper childhood and teenage-time - it's not right. :hug:
But let me say some things on all of this, all just from my personal point of view, of course! (I know it's not so nice to hear something to the contrary, when you're depressed, and I guess mine is a bit of a hobbitish look on the bright side - I hope it won't annoy you! :) )
You have a lot of experience now, practical knowledge of life, which your peers haven't. And although I understand how this makes you feel different from your peers, I think it's not unusual for when someone is growing up, to notice how they are different from the others more than how they are the same. It's a good thing, I think, to realise you are you, and not the average teenie from the commercials. And to see those differences and feel you're unlike the majority of your age needs not be a bad thing at all. Who wants to be like the crowd? When you try to relate to another person, you are trying to relate to a whole different creature, IMO - because we are all so very different from each other. It's only while we are kids, IMO, that we think we are basically all the same. Though on the other hand I totally understand that in your case you'd have liked to have a bit more of the fun you should have when you're a teen.
As to the academic achievements - well, I've never won or led anything either, but I guess that's because schools over here are not very competitive. I think, now that you're entering college, you can begin to be in clubs and strive for academic achievements - that's what college is for, isn't it? You will still be living away from home, and from what it sounds like, that'll be a big thing - and a good thing - for you!

I understand how it would have been an honour and a sense of achievement. But, still, I think you shouldn't see it as a failure on your part. So, you didn't quite fit the ideas of whoever chose the candidates. Who says that their ideas are something to measure yourself on? They're just some people's ideas, nothing more, no reflection on your worth or so.
Besides, I can't really understand how receiving that scholarship would have made working in your family's business more rewarding - what does one have to do with the other?
You've been accepted for college, your academic achievement obviously looks promising enough to be supported with some funding - from what I can see that means you have a chance to start out into something completely different here from what you've done before. And what you've done so far, you seem to have done quite successfully, so I believe you are able to overcome all sorts of difficulties and I hope and wish you make a great success - and that means something that pleases YOU and not just your family, or your professors or whoever else - of that new episode in your life! :)

Well, that was a long sermon, and I'm not sure if it makes sense - I just couldn't let you be so unhappy without trying to offer some different thoughts.
I hope you'll feel better soon, and in the meantime, here's a bit of a shipment of smiles for you:
:) :D :heart: :hug: :D :thumbsup: :clap: :D :) :horse: :happydance: :P :wink: :TORC: :grouphug:

Frodobaggins, are you going to the same college as N_M?

striderchick, wow, you are always having some adventure or other! When is the trip?
I'm alright, thanks, semester is ending, and there'll be some time off for Easter holidays. And there's a moot this weekend! :D Looking forward to it, but, typical hobbit, also nervous about anything out of the ordinary. ;) :)

salean, good to see you - so you don't like Frodo, hmmmh? :nono: ;) :P

Varda, sorry if you've already told us, and I've forgotten - is that college your daughter attends then? Can't imagine "biological engineering" to be a subject at High School, and I don't rightly know at what level you "major" in something in the US school system. :oops:
Pretty impressive, though! :) wilko here has a PhD in chemistry. Not a subject I've ever understood much about, though it has its interesting aspects. ;)

Oh, and, could you please contact me by e-mail, Varda? Nothing bad, don't worry! E-mail addy is in my sig. :)
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby No_Man » Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:59 pm

Thanks, everyone, for your e-hugs and encouragement. You would think I would have learned by now to not post while I'm depressed. (Though, sometimes it does make me feel better.) I think I am now more or less over that depressing bout. Reading (and hearing) peoples thoughts on the matter have greatly helped. I'm just not a person who likes coming in second place. I fear I'm becoming my mom in her obsessive ways. :shock:

I'm stockpiling all the smiles I can get at this point. This weekend is the second Lawn and Garden Show. This is kind of like the series of facial expressions I go through at these shows:
:) :) :) :roll: :roll: :roll: :x :evil: :bang: :angeldevil: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
From there, it get's. . . . . .interesting.

Hobby and Varda, could you both e-mail me at some point? My e-mail is plantmaster927@hotmail.com. I have a website I would like you two to see. (I would share it with everyone, but my family may not approve. Maybe soon.)

Namarie!
~N_M
No_Man
Shield Bearer

Postby VardaElantari » Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:23 pm

Good evening from the rainy, miserable South!

I'll be thinking about you this weekend N_M. Here's a row of smiles to add to your collection ~

:) :) :) :) :) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :) :) :) :)

A moot this weekend! Hobby that sounds like fun! My daughter is in college. Just 10 more hours to go until she has her undergraduate degree. :D She's looking forward to these last few hours. No more piggies, just pure chemistry - what she loves. She wants to continue in school and obtain her PhD in Chemistry as Wilko has. I hope she hangs on and finishes!

:grouphug: for everyone here!

Varda
VardaElantari
Rider of the Mark

Postby salean » Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:35 am

Well it's parents evening tonight. (can you tell how 'excited' I am....... :roll: not that they're likely to say anything bad about me.... in general teachers like me but spending an extra two hours at school is not my favourite way of spending an evening...)

Varda- Is it raining?? I'm in the bright and sunny UK!!!!! No really. Not two weeks ago we had snow and tommorrow it's meant to be 17 degrees C!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So over the weekend we'll all be out getting tans...... :P

I'm just not a person who likes coming in second place.

That's not neccessarily a bad thing. It's better than having come second place all your life and just having to accept it.
Well I could talk about that subject for hours and hours so I'll stay away from it. I don't want to bore you all.

Varda- I know!!!! I couldn't believe that I forgot Gollum, when I have a picture of him (signed by Andy Serkis which my friends got me for my birthday last year) right by my computer....... shows how observant I am......

I'm not too sure what over-bearing means so I can't tell you if my mum is like that. But I'm the eldest of three so she tends to be very protective over me.

Weeellll folks I gotta have my tea before going to *shudder* parents evening.... so I'll drop by again soon....

salean
Ranger of the North

Postby Frodobaggins1986 » Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:14 pm

truehobbit wrote:Frodobaggins, are you going to the same college as N_M?

No. As a matter of fact, since N_M is interested in acting for a career, she is definitely going to college. I, however, am interested in information technology, and am planning to study for it online.

N_M, did you get the message on your Answering Machine last night. It was Tim's idea! (And you can barely hear me. I was in the sound booth.)
:lol:

In my Hobbit screenplay thread, my next installment will have, you know him, you all love him, you all hate him, GOLLUM!

Turkish delight anyone? (And don't worry Narnia fans, it's all right.)
Frodobaggins1986
Shield Bearer

Postby VardaElantari » Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:09 pm

*V pulls her shoes off and walks into the library. She finds a plastic stool in the corner and sits down on it. She's returning to the realm of the Bookworms after a food fight in Moobies*

I'm not going to sit on any of the pretty chairs tonight. I probably still have green jello on me! :)

Ooooh, Turkish delight!! Thank you! :D It's good to see you Frodo! It's been a few days. You must have been busy with your screenplay. Yea! I can't wait to read your next installment and see what My Precioussss is up to! :)

Sal I'm going to be traveling about 500 miles (too tired to figure out how many kilometers that is! :wink: ) to attend a parent's weekend at the University my son attends. You think you guys get excited . . .it will be fun, though. We're going to stay at a bed and breakfast about 15 miles away from the campus. The view of the mountains is supposed to be spectacular and everything should be in bloom. Reminds me to get my allergy meds refilled! :)

Hobby my son is studying political science. He has plans to become a lawyer.

Our annual spring garden show is coming up the first week in April. I can't wait! I'll be one of those folks that make N_M go :bang: ! I'm taking next week off. Hopefully the weather will break and the ground will dry up enough that I can work on my beds and get them ready for the new plants I'm going to buy. :)

If anyone has some sunshine to spare, please send it my way!!!! It rained all day today as well. :(

HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY EVERYBODY!!!

Varda
VardaElantari
Rider of the Mark

Postby striderchick » Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:48 pm

Varda, nice touch with the green writing. =)

truehobbit the trip starts monday morning.. and we head back to Auckland on thursday, and then we have no school for Good Friday, Easter Monday, and for some reason an Easter Tuesday... ?.. so,... i don't go back to school until wednesday 30th (today's friday).

striderchick
striderchick
Ranger of the North

Postby VardaElantari » Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:39 pm

Thanks striderchick! I was in a festive mood. Have a wonderful trip! :)

Oops, got to go. We get great strawberries imported from Mexico this time of year. I grabbed a box and have made a cobbler, which I've got to get out of the oven now. If anyone would like some, you're welcome to it. Just be careful, it's very, very hot! :shock:

Have a great weekend!!!
VardaElantari
Rider of the Mark

Postby No_Man » Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:35 pm

Well, I survived another L and G Show. I wasn't sure if I was going to make it through some of it though. The days were just too bloody long. Up around 7:00 a.m., get the chores done, pull a load to restock with, load the truck, drive in (well, actually, ride in), unload the truck into the booth, set up the booth, smile for up to ten hours in a row, get all the plants in the booth watered, go out to eat (Dad was too tired to cook - not that I blame him), drive home, get the chores done, cover nine coldframes, get a shower, crash, wake up, and repeat.
I think I'll go to bed early tonight.

~N_M
No_Man
Shield Bearer

Postby Frodobaggins1986 » Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:46 am

N_M, that's a good idea. I'll be sending you a letter tomorrow. (But no dwarf runes!)

Hmm, it's Thursday. Time to make some Pizza!

Aye, V Green letters fer Ol' Saint Pat's Day makes it definitely Irish! Just like Belfast, the birthplace of JRRT's pal Jack Lewis.
Frodobaggins1986
Shield Bearer

Postby striderchick » Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:48 pm

well, i'm back from my wonderfull trip. i had a lot of fun. we had to give seminars on some of the places, and my friend and i had the first one, and we weren't all that well prepared but we managed to pull it off.
maybe more later.

striderchick
striderchick
Ranger of the North

Postby Frodobaggins1986 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:02 pm

Hey, everyone, Frodobaggins1986 in for a quick visit. Hitting the movies forum to work on my HOBBIT screenplay. Ridddle in the dark.

By the way, as of today, I am Frodobaggins1986 of the nine toenails!
Frodobaggins1986
Shield Bearer

Postby VardaElantari » Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:20 pm

Hi all! Back from a week off. We didn't go anywhere, just worked in the yard between storms. The rest was sooo wonderful. It was hard to go back to work today.

Frodobaggins1986 wrote:By the way, as of today, I am Frodobaggins1986 of the nine toenails!

Eeeeww! I hope you toe is feeling better Frodo. I'll scoot over to the Movies forum in a bit. You're doing a great job!

Welcome back Striderchick! When you have a chance, please tell us more.

:grouphug: everybody!

Varda, the rested one
VardaElantari
Rider of the Mark

Postby Frodobaggins1986 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:37 am

Yeah, it is pretty "eew," but I'll never have to deal with nail being ingrown again. I haven't seen it yet, but I'm taking off the turniquet (which is like the coolest bandage EVER!) tonight.

Anyhow, back to Gollum and Bilbo!
Frodobaggins1986
Shield Bearer

Postby salean » Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:22 am

Hello again. Long time no see :P
Happy Easter!!!!!!!!!
I have had a busy last few days and will continue to be busy for quite a while........
Just got back from a shopping expedition with my mum and little sister. (My mum has some interesting ideas as to how to make me 'trendy' and so I tend to aviod clothes shops when I'm with her...... and my little sister mucks around the whole time and pushes me into strangers and stuff so it's an interesting experiance :P )
I've had my Nana and Auntie round over Easter and we have had some good times with them. On friday after church I was helping at a holiday club for little kids which was hilariously fun. And well.... I won't bore you with everything else I've been up to but hey. Just popping in to say hello.

salean
Ranger of the North

Postby VardaElantari » Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:24 pm

:) SAL!! :) Glad you stopped by. A belated Happy Easter to you! My mum used to try to "polish" me up, too. If she were alive, I really don't know what she'd think of me now. I dress up for work, so when I get home I pretty much look like a slob. Mum always thought that we ladies should look nice all of the time! :shock: Yep, she was definitely old-school about the dress code, but she was also a lot of fun!!! It sounds like you had a great Easter, too!!!

Frodo it sounds like the doctors have gotten you fixed - I hope it continues to heal well! :)

V
VardaElantari
Rider of the Mark

Postby striderchick » Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:53 pm

My History Trip to the Bay of Islands
you mightn't understand much of this, unless you know NZ history around 1840
well.. we left school later than had been planned, but it wasn't too bad. We got to Whangarei at a good time for lunch, but, before we could eat, we had to go through the supermarket to figure out what we were going to cook and eat for two meals.. therefore everyone had to pitch in with their money, and found a whole lot of junk food to have in between times. and then when we managed to fit all that food in the cars, we went to McDonalds to find lunch. we then drove for a few more hours, and took a car ferry to get to Russell, which was the first capital of NZ.
in Russsell we looked at the museum, and Pompallier House (Bishop Pompallier.. we learnt how they printed bibles, and how they got the leather for the book covers. we then visited Christ Church.. an anglican church, something like the first church in NZ. and then we went to Maiki Hill, or Flagstaff hill, where Hone Heke repeatedly cut down the flagpole - some Maoris were convinced that the Brittish flag was the cause of all their troubles. on this hill, my friend and i had to give a seminar on Russell (Kororareka, the 'Hellhole of the pacific'), and then another friend had to give a seminar on the butting down of the flag. then we went back across the car ferry and went to our accomodation.. had dinner in the local town, and ended our first day.

striderchick
striderchick
Ranger of the North

Postby Frodobaggins1986 » Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:19 pm

Yeah, the toe is healing nicely, though I'll never have a nail on it again. I met with my associate Youth pastor yesterday, and mentioned it, and he said he'd had his nail out Friday! (Freaky!) And this summer, I'll actually be working at my youth camp as a counselor. (Maybe not leading a team though, but I'll let you know how things go!)

I notice there have been no messages from N_M in a while. I suppose she's pretty busy, though I would like to hear from her. I haven't seen her since Easter, when people usually go to church, and I haven't gotten any letters from her. (Though I sent her one.) And Easter, she was in a foul mood. Hope to hear from her soon. "I would have her smile again."

Sounds like a nice trip, Striderchick!

And it's always nice to hear from V and Salean!

Last night, I was on loan for the night at a different BK. Something I will never do again. Everything tightly cramped, dim light, and people treating me like I didn't know what I was doing. Plus they ran out of small buns. SMALL BUNS. (The most common type!) By the time I was out, I was OUT! No trying to call anyone for a ride, I walked fifty minutes to my brother Aaron's and his wife's place, where my sister Audrey (not interested in LOTR) was baby-sitting my niece, the daughter of Aaron's first wife. (He had her for the weekend.)
Frodobaggins1986
Shield Bearer

Postby No_Man » Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:33 pm

So, a 'foul mood' was it, Frodo? Depends on your definition of foul. If 'foul' means exhausted, stressed out, sore, and hurting, then yes, I was in a foul mood. And that is just physically. Don't get me started on mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. Keep in mind that I lead a very different life from you. You may not understand what I mean. I will try to breifly explain. At age 18, I am carrying one third of my family's income on my shoulders. At age 18, I am training new employees, while shielding them from my obsessive mom and taking the hits aimed at them. At age 18, I am desperately trying to keep some of my employees from quitting due to my mom's behaviour. At age 18, I am working exceedingly long hours doing hard manual labour. At age 18, I am trying to hold my family together while watching it fall to pieces around me. At age 18, I am cut off from church, my lifeblood, by work I hate. At age 18, I am trying to get set up for college with little help from my family. At age 18, I am, quite honestly, losing my sanity. So, if I am in a 'foul mood', please forgive me, but please also consider what I am going through.
~N_M
No_Man
Shield Bearer

Postby Frodobaggins1986 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:46 pm

My definition of "foul":

Better not say it, because it might be hard to understand, and I am unsure of the wording I want to use.

But I might be able to start to comprehend how you feel, N_M. Suddenly, I go through an experience and after it, I think "This is how (someone I know personally) feels."

And now I'm a little sorry that I had to express this online, but it seemed like a proper place. (I don't want the whole world to think that because of this there's a rift forming between us, though I don't think we are as close as we were.) At age 18, things change. Currently, I have rent to pay and doctor's billsfor over $300. I didn't go through that when I was 17. Today, I walked into work fearing it could be my last. (It wasn't.) I, too, have college worries now, especially with the fact that my job isn't that great and I have a big bill to pay. I know that these don't exactly stack up with yours, but it's just that when you turn 18, there are things that you have to take care of that you hadn't before. And I, like you, get no real support from my family. And now Mom wants me to ask my managers for 30 hours a week. I haven't even gotten the promised 20 yet.

Like I said, I think I'm beginning to relate to you better, though we are almost from two seperate worlds.

All prayers and blessings be with you, my dear N_M.
Frodobaggins1986
Shield Bearer

Postby No_Man » Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:42 pm

Other things to keep in mind, Frodo: you have an obsessive mom as a teacher. Imagine having her as your boss as well. Imagine never being able to escape her. Also imagine that your paycheck is ten dollars a day. Imagine owning the Burger King you work at and knowing that your success depends entirely on it's success. Imagine wondering if you truly are sane. Imagine a rage rising up in you that would make Sauron tremble, and having to use all your strength to keep it at bay. Imagine daily wishing you were dead but knowing that that road leads to nowhere but people thinking you were nothing more than a coward.
I do not know what has changed in me in this past year, but something has. I no longer laugh and smile like I used to. My mind is constantly in turmoil. And perhaps hardest of all for me is this: while I still love the youth and enjoy being around them, I no longer feel like I'm one of them. It isn't an age thing, it's just that I no longer seem to relate to them. So many of their issues seem so petty to me now. They think they know me, but all they know is a mask I wear. Beyond the serene mask lies naught but confusion, turmoil, bitterness for a childhood I never got, and dread for a future I must face.
Sorry to be so grim and depressing. Welcome to the life beyond the mask.
~N_M

P.S. For future reference, I would prefer it if you emailed me if you are troubled by my behavior.
No_Man
Shield Bearer

PreviousNext

Return to Adoptions