Bookworms' Gateway to the Lounge & Garden III - All Welcome

Need a hand learning the ropes? Come here and find an experienced poster to adopt you! Visit the First Stop thread for a list of all those currently involved in the mentoring process and their interests and areas.

Postby Frodobaggins1986 » Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:37 am

Thanks for visiting VardaElantari. I really appreciated it getting some attention. Right now I'm adding more to it in a new post. This is very easy, because I wrote it all before I began posting it. So, now I'm just typing it up. I did have a bit of a critic there. You know her as N_M. She's the first one to have read it.

And I'd rather not comment on the toe. (Although after meds [which I had to pay $50 for, but I could've gone with $116] it's not quite so "eew." But still not a nice topic.)

Now for a nicer topic. Whose music do you like to listen to? I listen to quite a few, mostly Christian (and my sister has made me a Kelly Clarkson fan) but my favorite group is an a cappella group called Chapter 6. Visit their site at http://www.chapter-6.com where they now have videos!
Frodobaggins1986
Shield Bearer

Postby ~WyrtWif~ » Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:04 pm

*wanders in, eyeing all the lovely new shinyness...*

Mmm flowers! And cookies! :D I took a quick peek in awhile back, but didn't have time to stay for cookies and a toast. Cheers!

I've forgotten what we were talking about in the last thread. Seems like there was a conversation going on. I suppose I'll have to go hunt it down when I have more time.

*extends hand* Very nice to make your acquaintance Varda. I have read The Hobbit and LOTR multiple times over (more than I can possibly count), and have read the Sil once. I've been hinting to my hubby that I really need my own copy of it. :D

Hello to everyone else - Hobby, striderchick, Wilko, salean, No_Man, PG, FrodoB, Mahima... It's beginning to feel like home. *feels all warm and mushy*
~WyrtWif~
Shield Bearer

Postby VardaElantari » Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:28 pm

Hey Everyone!

Takes WyrtWif's hand and shakes it warmly.

It's very nice to meet you as well :D ! Frodo made me realize how much I have forgotten about The Hobbit. After I finish The Sil I may have to go back and read it again before moving on to another type of read.

Hobby - :D I'll probably consider myself a novice gardener til the day I die! My mom could look at a little teeny plant and it would jump to attention and grow to 10 feet in no time. I'm not quite so lucky, but just get out there and have fun. I know a lot about roses, but only have three runners so far at our new place. I also know a lot about hostas. Balcony gardens are beautiful. A friend of mine had one in her apartment when we were in college. What are you growing?

V makes a note to put some pots of flowers out on the deck when it gets warmer.

As for a job, I'm an evil :evil: mid-level administrator at a university (I get to do all the hard stuff, and the folks above me make all the money :) !).

Frodo - please call me V :D - all my friends do and you're definitely one!! Makes a point not to look down at the toe. Thanks for the music link. I'm going to forward it to my work email and check it out tomorrow. :) I listen to all kinds of music - classical, Christian, rock, jazz, and even a little country. Right now in my CD changer in the car I've got Tina Turner, Coldplay, Sting, the Stones, and Led Zepplin (keeps me awake on the way to work!). Oh, and I still have a Christmas CD-I keep forgeting to take it out. I'll let you know what I think about Chapter 6 tomorrow.

V
VardaElantari
Rider of the Mark

Postby Mahima » Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:01 am

Welcome (though am late), to the Bookworm's gateway, Varda, or V as you seem to prefer. :) Personally I really like the name "Varda", it reminds me of something... someone I would go to to rest my head.

Hugs N_M, and great to see you back WW (=:) )...

Don't go away, anyone, I will be back.
Mahima
Ranger of the North

Postby ~WyrtWif~ » Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:19 am

(after going to the old thread I remembered what I was talking about... :P )

Okay, I got a PM and experimented with my settings to see if I could change them. And as you can see, I can. :D Later I'm going to experiment with my info to see if it will save my changes this time. Either way, it's not a big deal since it's not visible. I just had to satisfy my curiousity.
~WyrtWif~
Shield Bearer

Postby No_Man » Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:12 pm

Ahhhh. . . . . Human nature is so predictable. I knew someone would just have to ask what those plants are!!! The plants in question are the Mexican Torch Lily (Jatropha), 'Frydek' Elephant Ear (either Alocasia or Colocasia, I forget which), and Hawaiian Snow Bush (Breynia disticha). All very worthwhile plants, but over the course of being asked if they are real or not for three days, I kind of wished they didn't exist.
~N_M
No_Man
Shield Bearer

Postby VardaElantari » Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:07 pm

Hello! How is everyone? WyrtWif when I try to change settings on any kind of electronic gadget (including this laptop) I usually cause some sort of explosion. :D

Mahima I'm very pleased to meet you. :) Please call me Varda if you'd like and I hope you pop back in soon!

N_M I bought some huge Elephant Ear bulbs from the local nursery last weekend. I'm waiting for it to warm up a little more before I plant them. I have a bubbling stream running down the side yard that we started a bed around last year. It started out with crepe myrtles with azaleas around them. Then hubby made it longer on each end at the end of last summer. I was sitting out there enjoying the sound of the water and got to thinking about Elephant Ears and how they would "fit" in those two places. I can't wait! :)

I may be out of town again this weekend, so if I don't see any of you I hope you all have a good weekend!!!

V
VardaElantari
Rider of the Mark

Here I am, once again

Postby Frodobaggins1986 » Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:28 pm

Well, I'm back.

Sorry I wasn't able to post yesterday. I was at my church preparing for a youth event. (Which N_M attended.) It was called "Breakout," with this huge jail theme! We got what we basically wanted up in the nick of time. (We didn't even have time to spray paint the jail cell because it was finished 10 minutes befor starting time. I had to be the judge, because I was the only one available. I didn't have a gavel, so I had to hold a marker under the middle knuckle of my right hand in a fist. When I banged, I banged the knuckle. (By the end... ow...) Many of the youth were likely surprised and confused why I was there. Let's see, I'm getting closer to 19, been in youth leadership training for what will be two years in July, so they FINALLY decided it was time I get leader responsibilities. (I wanted to explain to N_M, but hardly got to speak to her. All I said was "Name," "what was your crime," "how do you plead," "judge rules 'guilty,' report to the mess hall," and "hey."

I have more on my Hobbit script! I also have Peter Jackson's mailing address...

WyrtWif, I'm sort of good at electronics, but I have no idea what a PM is.

Hey, V! Good luck on the horticulture! (That means means something about caring for plants...) I can never keep a plant alive when I try to. I usually forget, or (in younger days) got ridiculed. When "the family" (actually Mom) trys to plant a garden or something, she passes the buck to someone else who doesn't have the time. So, in a nice allegorical picture, they died because no one cared for them and was responsible for them. Sad. Actually, my sister kept a poinsetta from N_M's sister alive until well into spring when she got it for Christmas.

Okay, so, V, what did you think of C6?
Frodobaggins1986
Shield Bearer

Postby striderchick » Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:20 pm

Frodobaggins PM is normally short for Premiere membership.. but i could be wrong..
just thought i'd drop in to say hello..

hope all is well

striderchick
striderchick
Ranger of the North

Postby Mahima » Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:12 am

frodobaggins, striderchick is right, PM is Premiere Membership, which allows one to have a different name, signature pics etc. Its just a way of supporting TORC. :)
Mahima
Ranger of the North

Postby Frodobaggins1986 » Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:17 pm

Yeah, it looks that way...

(Anyone interested in the toe, my appointment was MARCH 28th, and I thought it was today!)

My script is coming up on the movies forum, and it seems people are reading it... but that's all. (I don't have my Hobbit script notebook with me, or else I'd be in the movies forum now...) I'm already starting on a new movie script, but it's not Middle-earth, it's "ETA Hoffman's The Nutcracker and the King of Mice." And I already have my next one lined up. There's no title, but it's actually a story that N_M wrote. Of course, I haven't sold any yet, but I'd like to. I especially think that HOBBIT, NUTCRACKER, and N_M's movie would be great!

Saw N_M yesterday. She seemed to be...okay... rumpled in spirit, but okay. And now she'll kill me because I got 100 posts before her!
Frodobaggins1986
Shield Bearer

Postby truehobbit » Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:25 pm

Sorry for the long absence, all!

WyrtWif, congrats on the PM! You look good in red! :D Love your title! And a very nice pic, too! :)

Frodobaggins, a big w00tw00t for 100 posts! Congrats! :D

N_M wrote:Ahhhh. . . . . Human nature is so predictable. I knew someone would just have to ask what those plants are!!!

Hehe, I was just teasing: you were so horrified by the idea someone would ask, I just had to ask! :P ;)
But I don't even know any of those plants you mentioned! :shock:
How come people ask if they are "real" - why shouldn't they be real?

Varda, on my balcony I have lots of pots which have been there for years and years. Normally people renew the whole stuff several times a year, but I can never part with a plant that's still alive, so I leave everything. As a result, I don't get so many blossoms in summer, but time has created a lovely (IMO) natural look to most pots. Among others, there are small trees (two birches and a pine tree), columbines (I love collecting different kinds of columbines, but I do that in my parents' garden), a rosemary (fingers crossed that it survives the current frost-period), scented geraniums, which are inside at the moment, some strawberries and in many pots some crocus bulbs. I planted violets and daisies from our garden in pots and last year got some nice flowers. There's an aster that has been coming back for seven or eight years now. And snapdragons are not necessarily annuals - when the winter is mild, the same plant might grow and blossom again the next year. :)
Of course, there's also a lot of grass and moss - but that just creates the natural look, I think.
Oh, and in our garden I'm fascinated by poisonous plants =:) - or, rather, anything that contains stuff that have an effect on the body, whether remedial or poisonous (after all, it's the dose that makes the poison). :) So I try to collect those.

Anyway, I must get to bed now - I hope you are all well - :grouphug:
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby VardaElantari » Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:32 pm

Hey a Premiere Membership would reside on this electronic gadget in my lap and if I ever tried to load a sigpic or change anything you'd probably never hear from me again :) . I'd poof into cyberspace. Folks at work won't even let me touch the copier - I'm that bad!!!

frodobaggins I bought Swing Shift and am awaiting it's arrival. A couple of my work mates have heard of the group and one of them let me borrow their CD :D . I really enjoyed it. Thanks for the recommendation!

Edit: Hobby, you've been missed :hug: ! You've enspired me. I foraged around in the basement over the weekend and pulled out every empty pot I own to fill with flowers this spring. Sleep well, we'll talk again soon.

V
VardaElantari
Rider of the Mark

Postby No_Man » Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:47 pm

Frodo, it is quality, not quantity, that matters (for me, at least)! Each of my posts has been more like a letter or conversation than an actual post. Plus, I think we have already discussed the differences in the amounts of our respective free time. So, if you reach 100, 500, or 1000 posts before me, so be it.
Yes, I was 'rumpled in spirit' yesterday, but I am not planning on going into details. Let it suffice that this past week was not my week. (Also, just because I do not look or act 'rumpled' doesn't mean I'm not. Working in a retail business all my life has taught me a thing or two about acting. Number one rule of marketing: It isn't always a good idea to show your emotions, ESPECIALLY when you are depressed. That is why you rarely see me showing what I am really thinking or feeling.)
Well, my interview was Saturday. I think it went fairly well. I was asked three main questions and a few other questions I don't think they asked most candidates. ("Does your greenhouse sell tomato plants?" "When is a good time to plant them out?" "Does your greenhouse have a website we could check out?" "What have you learned from your co-workers or underlings?") The three main questions were as follows: If you were having a dinner party and could invite any two people, past or present, who would you invite and why? What do you want to accomplish at this college? What would you consider to be the most important issue (technically, economicly, religiously, politically, grammatically or any of the other "ly's") in the 21st century? I answered each question to the best of my abilities and was out of there in under twenty minutes. I should know the outcome within a couple weeks. Here's hoping.
~N_M
No_Man
Shield Bearer

Postby VardaElantari » Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:23 pm

N_M here's a :hug: for your bad week! I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed for you. :)

Yikes - it's bedtime! Good night all.

V
VardaElantari
Rider of the Mark

Postby Frodobaggins1986 » Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:05 am

Here I am again.

Well, at least N_M won't kill me... :hug:

I put up my final script installment for THE HOBBIT chapter one. Now for Chapter 2, where many seemingly got stuck in theirs. I think it's because they didn't know how to handle trolls, thinking that they needed to "radically change it." I didn't! :lol:

Glad you liked Chapter 6, V. I'm going to order more of their CD's sometime. Right now, I only have CHAPTER 6 LIVE, with an autographed case! 8)

Right now I'm burning my own music CD of LOTR songs. I couldn't get INTO THE WEST, but I did get two bonus things: Billy Boyd singing "Baby One More Time" and "Use Well the Days." I can't wait to listen to it! It also has the little songs the characters sing like Merry & Pippin's songs as well as Gollum's:

"Rock and Pool,
Is nice and cool,
So nice for feet!
We only wish
To catch a fish
So juicy sweet!"

No, I won't sell it! :TORC:
Frodobaggins1986
Shield Bearer

Postby No_Man » Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:10 pm

Hobby, don't feel too bad about not knowing what those plants are. The elephant ear I mentioned is quite new (dark black-green leaves with white veins - very striking). The Hawaiian Snow Bush is an old faithful of ours that I haven't seen too many other places before. One reason you may never have heard about Mexican Torch Lily is that that name is a. . . . . . local common name. (My family came up with its nickname because none of our customers could remember Jatropha.)
Well, much to my disappointment, I was unable to go to church tonight. I'm down with a really nasty cold or flu. I didn't think it would be courteous to spread it around with everyone. Yesterday I had a really high fever. . . . my face felt like it ought to be blistering. I spent yesterday afternoon in bed trying to sleep. Fortunately it was the first sick leave I've had in a couple years. I HATE being sick. I just have to be over this by Sunday because I'm supposed to be in a drama then.
Namarie!
~N_M
No_Man
Shield Bearer

Postby striderchick » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:41 pm

hello all, i'm sorry i haven't really been able to may that much attention to posts, but when i get onlibe, i sort of have to fit everything into one hour.
i went on a SADD workshop yesterday (Students Against Driving Drunk). it was interesting, and we got to see a (i think) rugby team training for their game tonight, i wasn't as interested in that as most people. i knew the team, the Blues, but i'm not really a sport person so i was more interested in the painting of the advertisements on the grass.
i went to a Christians In Action meeting during my lunch time.. it's not something i normally do, but it was interesting, it wsa a nice change.

striderchick
striderchick
Ranger of the North

Postby Mahima » Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:24 am

Frodobaggins, do tell us more about that CD of yours... it sounds very interesting. What exactly are you doing here?

A big Hi to all.
Mahima
Ranger of the North

Postby Frodobaggins1986 » Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:02 am

It's really just a mix CD of tracks from the soundtracks, plus some I found online. (Like <a href="http://holdondear.free.fr/audio/Billy%20Boyd%20-%20hit%20me%20baby%20one%20more%20time.mp3">Billy Boyd singing "Baby One More Time"</a> was something someone recorded from his appearance on the Sharon Osbourne Show.) I'm doing a remix, this time with all the tracks in chronological order. (Which is driving me nuts!) Plus more tracks...

My HOBBIT script getting rave reviews in the Movies forum! visit it at http://forums.tolkienonline.com/viewtopic.php?p=3106957

N_M, see you tomorrow! Don't forget the props! (She and I are two charaters in a skit for church we're doing tomorrow. She's a main character, I'm secondary, and my character's kind of annoying. Old friend of mine would say I was born to play that!)

Learn how to make Lembas at
http://cgi.nienor.net/elves-lembas.php
Frodobaggins1986
Shield Bearer

Postby kaldaka » Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:06 am

Could I please be adopted by PrettyGaladriel? I am a Christian, love LotR, My favorite one of the trilogy is TTT, and I think it's wonderful that Faramir and Eowyn get together.
kaldaka
Petitioner to the Council

Postby salean » Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:07 am

Woah...... I hhaven't been around for aaaaaages.

But I have an excuse.... basicly RL is taking over (h/w, music practice etc.)

Welcome Kaldaka!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:grouphug: to everyone.

Gotta run and do h/w now.

:P Sal :P
salean
Ranger of the North

Postby VardaElantari » Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:28 pm

V walks in with three boxes of Girl Scout cookies and a jug of punch. Hey everyone - please have a cookie. I brought some Trefoils, Thin Mints, and Samoas. Don't be shy, dig in!!! Have some punch, too!!

Frodobaggins1986 sounds like you're having fun with music! :) Here's a big :clap: for your HOBBIT script reviews!!! I hope you and N_M give us an update on your skit.

Kaldaka welcome! Pull up a chair and have some cookies and punch. :D

Sal I've been missing you! Hands Sal a cup of punch and a plate for her cookies. I absolutely understand your absence. My son is going through mid-terms right now. I just got through proofing one of his papers. I'm very glad you took the time to stop by! :D

Take care everyone!! :grouphug:

Varda - The Girl Scout Cookie Hoarder
VardaElantari
Rider of the Mark

Postby truehobbit » Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:44 pm

Hello and welcome to the bookworms, kaldaka! :)

Wow, it's pretty rare that someone names TTT as their favourite!

Basically, when you're adopted by the bookworms that means we are all here to help you find your way around the boards. So, you can't really be peeg's adoptee only. But, I guess, if you prefer to talk to her you can also direct any questions you have to her only. In this case it might be helpful to contact her by e-mail, because she isn't around so much at the moment.

I hope, though, that you'll also be happy with being an adoptee of all the bookworms listed in the adopters-list?

No Man, sorry to hear you're ill - I hope you were fit for the performance! Let's know if you were and, if so, how it went! And Frodobaggins, too! :D

Hello striderchick, salean and Varda! :grouphug:

Ah, work calls again (marking exams =:) ;) ) - thanks for the goodies, Varda, just what I need now! :)
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby No_Man » Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:19 pm

Welcome, kaldaka!

Varda and hobby, the drama was a success. I was well and therefore able to be in it. We did have one person not show, but it was a minor role, and we were able to find a quick substitute. There was only one small mess up, but we played along with it and no one was the wiser. Everyone seemed to enjoy it, so, like I said, it was a success.

(Varda, how did you know that the Girl Scout Thin Mints are my favourites? And to share them, when you are the Girl Scout Cookie Hoarder? My, my, I am much impressed!)

Namarie for now!
~N_M
No_Man
Shield Bearer

Postby VardaElantari » Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:37 pm

Hobby I hope you're not getting writer's cramp! :) I am going to have to proof my daughter's paper on piggie anatomy in the next few days. She's spent a few weeks cutting the poor thing up - feel free to say eeeeewwww! :puke:

N_M I'm so glad the drama turned out well. :D Notice I only brought 3 boxes of cookies - I have cases of the sinful tidbits residing in my pantry! =:) I'll bring some more by soon. :)

Here's a big hug for everybody! :grouphug:

Varda
VardaElantari
Rider of the Mark

Postby kaldaka » Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:17 pm

Kaldaka walks in and has some cookies and punch. She is dressed in flowing robes of silver and gold and green and is just back from Pelennor fields. She has her sword and bow and arrow with her like normal.

Thank you, I think I'll have some cookies and punch. :wink: I have a question for everyone. Who's your favorite character? Mine is Faramir.
kaldaka
Petitioner to the Council

Postby No_Man » Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:18 pm

Favourite character?

Definitely Eowyn, Shieldmaiden of the House of Rohan, or Peregrin Took, Guard of the Citadel!!!!!!!! (Btw, both of those are nicknames for me, as well as Smeagol and Gollum.)

Brings out a package of Jaffa Cakes and a bottle of squash.

I kind of felt guilty over grabbing so many Girl Scout cookies, so I brought another favourite of mine. :wink: :twisted: Enjoy!!!

~N_M
No_Man
Shield Bearer

Postby VardaElantari » Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:24 pm

Hi everybody!!

My favorite character is Eomer. Tall, handsome, but unfortunately not nearly as much "screen time" as "book time." :D

V starts to swoon but looks over and sees Jaffa Cakes and a bottle of something called squash - hmmmm, food - save that swoon for later!!

Oooh, Jaffa Cakes look good - thanks N_M! Ah, what's squash? In the South it's a yellow veggie we cut up, batter in egg and flour, and fry to a light golden brown. Guess you can tell I don't get out much! :wink:

Here's a big :grouphug: for everyone!!

V
VardaElantari
Rider of the Mark

Postby Mahima » Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:53 am

Welcome to the Bookworm's Friendly Gateway, kaldaka!
Glad to know that you are willing to accept all of us bookworms as adoptees... as opposed to ONLY dear good ol' peeg. ;)

Favourite Character - definitely Gandalf the Grey!

Hey, people some lemonade for me too... am SO tired!!

Good to know your performances went well, N_M and Frodo!!
Mahima
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to Adoptions