Bookworms' Gateway to the Lounge & Garden III - All Welcome

Need a hand learning the ropes? Come here and find an experienced poster to adopt you! Visit the First Stop thread for a list of all those currently involved in the mentoring process and their interests and areas.

Postby striderchick » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:32 pm

So long as everything goes according to plan, I'll be graduating after this year. But I'm repeating a paper this semester, so I'm not looking forward to that. And my mum hasn't been very well so I've had to be doing a lot of stuff for her, then when I'm at uni I have to fit study in as well. So it's kinda looking more stressful than other years.
striderchick
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:49 pm

Oh dear. :hug: for your mum. My father had a health scare in my third year at uni, and I ended up failing some exams because of it. I hope you manage to handle the stress. :hug:
Image<-- Celebrating Science in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby striderchick » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:57 pm

And thus I'm repeating a paper. My exams were too close together and I was stressed and ended up not studying enough for the last exam.. but I need it for a pre-requisite. Hoping the tutors are different this time round though. Or that I at least get the other tutor. But yeah, mum went into hospital end of september last year, didn't come home until late January. So I went a little bit nutty with everything.
It's not exactly a health scare, she's had MS since she was about my age, but she developed a really bad bed sore that just kept getting worse and a lot of the time in hospital was waiting for them to do a skin graft type thing on it. She still has to go back to hospital to get a catheta put back in - it came out when she was in hospital but no one there seemed to know how to put it back in the same way, so she's now technically not "discharged" but instead "home on leave".
striderchick
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:06 pm

Perfectly understandable. :hug: Did you tell your tutor? (I was stupid and didn't tell anyone! Just bottled it all up and soldiered on; not studying! :doh: Won't be doing that again!)

That's a long time to be in hospital.

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona

Postby striderchick » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:12 pm

Yeah I mentioned it to my tutor but it was more of a "I'm not going to be in the tutorial today, I've just missed the bus and I figure I'll just stay home and work on the assignment that I haven't been able to work on as much with mum being in hospital.." sort of thing and not a "help I'm going to fail the exam".
After I failed I emailed the lecturer and explained and said I really did love his course. But now I'm repeating it. But I figure this time I'll work harder on assignments and get those marks up high, making it harder to fail the whole course, if that makes sense. Plus, when it comes to study, I'll have double the notes with this years and last years.
striderchick
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:42 pm

At least it is just one course that you're repeating, and not having to redo the whole year though. :) I had to resit exams, which meant that the highest grade I could get, no matter how well I did on it, was a D. :( It was either that or resit the whole year, which I certainly couldn't afford.

And you're right; since you've got two lots of notes now, you should be able to get a good grasp of the concept. :) Good luck!

heliona

Postby striderchick » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:32 pm

Thanks. Yeah, I've also got the detailed notes on my assignments, so I'll do a different topic, but I'll still have the tutor's comments to go off where I can.
striderchick
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:35 pm

That's not too bad. :) It'll probably be nice to actually attack another topic. :)

heliona

Postby striderchick » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:35 pm

Well semester starts tomorrow. Guess I'll find out on tuesday whether the course has the same tutors.
striderchick
Ranger of the North

re

Postby ernest147 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:04 pm

N_M That sounds so great for you. I will definatley check out those photos ...Yep, I can see a figure on the light tower thing, I guess that might be you That is really great that the two guys you are working with a nice gentlemen. I hope you can fit it into your schedule, it sounds perfect for you. I've only helped out in some school productions, but I know that can be quite fun no matter what you do to help.

The grades start getting put online 10 days after the last exam. So I have a sneaky suspicion that it will be whilest I'm at camp. So I'm either brave enough to give Dad my uni username and password for him to go look (That's what some cousins do, my aunty always has to look for them) or wait till I come back. They send it out in a letter eventually too. Next semester starts.. Monday 16th July. Works out fine for me, my birthday is the friday before.
I hope I have fun working with the kids too. I'm a bit nervous.

Ingold Our resident adopter is Hobby ( truehobbit ), I'm just an adoptee that's never going to leave. But if I may give you some advice, though I don't think I know Vana myself, I'm sure she's everything that rwhen said. From the glimpse of post that rwhen provided I'm not sure what makes you feel that you're not getting on well in that family, but would suggest that you go back and kindly see if you can sort it out. From people I've met on TORC, we tend to be nice welcoming people. I think Vana might deserve an explanation, do you agree
ernest147
Citizen of Imladris

Postby striderchick » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:11 pm

Just.. dropping in to say hello.

hello.

hehe
striderchick
Ranger of the North

Postby truehobbit » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:08 am

ernest and striderchick :hihi: I hope you're both alright? :) And no troubles with grades...? ;) :D

Well, autumn's here and we've had the first frosts at night. So now, rather than being disappointed when you can't go out in a t-shirt, you're ever so happy if the temperatures only stay up in the double-digits (celsius) and don't drop to single-digits. :P :D
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby striderchick » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:25 pm

Yep, alright over here. Saturday was nice and sunny hehe. But I think we're due for rain all week.
striderchick
Ranger of the North

im new hear HELP ME

Postby noldorking » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:30 pm

i have been in love with lord of the rings ever since i saw the movie and then loved it more so once i read it i had seen this site before but never got on i have read every single lord of the ring s middle eartyh related book written by jrr tolkien except the lost books i would just like to meet some people how share my reverence and love of lord of the rings and books also i would love to be adopted by any one who will take me...im hungry
noldorking
Citizen of Imladris

Postby noldorking » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:23 pm

i dont understand how the book study works will any body awnser my questions just email me egoobe@gmail.com
noldorking
Citizen of Imladris

Postby truehobbit » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:52 pm

Hello noldorking, welcome to TORC and to the bookworms! :)

Being hungry for books is always good - as long as you don't literally eat them, of course. ;) :D

Thanks for telling us a bit about yourself - I hope you'll be back to read the replies and post again. :)

You'll find that TORC is a very friendly and safe site. There can be some spirited discussion, but that's because people care deeply about the things they discuss. :) You'll also meet with some friendly teasing and joking. :D

I've seen a few of your posts and it seems to me you already have a pretty good idea of how this place works.
But here's a few tips.

As you can see, the whole messageboard is subdivided into different forums, so if you want to talk about something related to a movie you go to a movie forum, if you want to have casual chat, you go to the Talk forum, etc.

Look around on the first page or two if a topic like the the one you want to discuss is already active - if you find one, feel free to add what you have to say, if not, start a new thread.

There are a few special rules about starting new threads in some forums, which would make this post a bit long if I listed them here, but if you would like to learn more about them, I'll list them in another post. :)

I'm not sure what you mean by book study...Do you mean the forum called "Virtual Study group" or the "Books (Tolkien)" forum?

If you have any questions, just post them in here - I don't know what your questions are, so there wouldn't be much point in e-mailing you, I think. :) This is the place to find help for all your questions. :)

One thing that might help you get into this messageboard and get replies from people is to use standard English sentences and punctuation.
It's very hard to read a post that does not use full stops between sentences, and you have to understand that many people won't bother to try. :)
Typing according to standard rules also helps to get used to proper typing for when you need it in real life. ;)
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby noldorking » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:19 pm

Virtual Study group was the book study i was talking about thanks for the help
noldorking
Citizen of Imladris

Postby noldorking » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:25 pm

truehobbit wrote:There are a few special rules about starting new threads in some forums, which would make this post a bit long if I listed them here, but if you would like to learn more about them, I'll list them in another post.
um i would love to learn the rules if you could post them that would be great :)
noldorking
Citizen of Imladris

Postby truehobbit » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:38 pm

Ah, ok. :)

Yes, I'm afraid the Virtual Study Group isn't very lively these days.
Originally, the idea was to have a structured reading group. You'd post in the OOC thread that you would like to take part, everybody taking part would agree what book to read and who would be in charge of which chapter - the person 'in charge' of a chapter would post a summary of the chapter and some questions that might be raised about it. Then everybody in the group would post their input and ideas.

But that's pretty much in the past now. There hasn't been any structured discussion for a long time now.
I've seen that some people have tried to revive it, and I think that's really good. But it doesn't seem to be taking off very well.

So, in your case (I've seen your post in there), you'd hope that Isildur's Bane, who started the thread, comes back to it and posts some more about what he would like to do with the thread.

It's a little sad, but I have to admit that book discussion is quite slow these days. You're there in the thread, you've made your interest in discussion known, so now all you can do is hope that others join you.

I would recommend just keeping an eye on the thread (or tick the 'Notify me when a reply is posted' box underneath your reply window - that way you get an e-mail notification when someone posts in the thread), and look for other threads, too, if you would like to discuss something right away.

For example, if you have something specific from one of Tolkien's books that you would like to talk about, feel free to start a thread in "Books (Tolkien)".

You can also reply to older threads any time, no matter how long it's been that someone last posted in them.

Hope that helped. :)
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby truehobbit » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:02 pm

noldorking wrote:
truehobbit wrote:There are a few special rules about starting new threads in some forums, which would make this post a bit long if I listed them here, but if you would like to learn more about them, I'll list them in another post.
um i would love to learn the rules if you could post them that would be great :)

Ok - good that you want to prevent mistakes. :)

TORC strongly discourages spam of any kind. That's threads where people just post a few words per post.
So, if you want to start a new topic, make it something interesting where people can actually say something. Also try to make your own first post of your thread have enough content to raise interest.

In the forum "Tom's House" there are lots of fun games. But please do not start "one word" games, as this is considered spam, too.
Also, don't start games that are very similar to already existing ones.

You'll also see a number of trivia games in the Books (Tolkien) forum. There are really quite many of them, so please do not start any new trivia game threads in the Books forum - you are always welcome to play in the existing ones. :)

Role-play forums (The Prancing Pony and The Green Dragon) also have a few important rules.
Role-play on TORC is like writing a story as a group. People who role-play tend to take their stories quite seriously, so you can't just post in a role-play, you'll have to find the "Out of character" (OOC) thread for a role play and ask if it's ok to join and let people know with what kind of character you'd like to join.

Apart from that, though, I'll just say: enjoy! :D

Any rules specific to a forum are also given in sticky threads at the top of the forums, in case you're in doubt.

On the other hand, we all make mistakes, and we've all been new here once, so if you make one, no worries. :D
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby noldorking » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:30 pm

hey i really like rpgs do you no of any i can jion im having trouble finding some new ones i would like to find on in the green dragon inn
noldorking
Citizen of Imladris

Postby truehobbit » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:38 am

I just had a look around the forum - I'm not a role-player myself, so I don't normally visit these forums. I wasn't aware that no-one seems to have been playing in there since 2007. :shock: I'm sorry, I can't help you there.
You might look around for other RPs. For example, here's one that's just getting started, apparently: http://forums.theonering.com/viewtopic.php?t=100562

And I see you've already found the Lucky Fortune Inn in the Welcome Forum, I think that's probably the best way to get started anyway. :)

I've seen in your post there that you are beginning to use punctuation, that's good! :)

Capital letters at the beginning of sentences are necessary, too. Please forgive me if you know this already, but just in case...if you're not using capitals because you don't know how, you press the 'shift' key at the same time as the letter you want capitalised. :)

truehobbit
Mariner

Postby heliona » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:28 am

I actually have nothing to say, but I wanted to get email notifications for this thread, and it seems that the only way I can do that is to reply! :D

So, hello! :hihi:

Hobby, you may have noticed that I've put a link to this thread in my signature. This is because Imi's thread has had a few adoptees popping into it and Rowan and Iris have been handling questions whilst also advising people to head over here. So I thought a bit of advertising wouldn't go amiss. :D;)

heliona

Postby truehobbit » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:34 am

LOLOL, ok, good idea! :D

Happy New Year to all the Bookworms! :D :grouphug: :D
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby heliona » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:12 am

Oh, yes, I could have said Happy New Year, too!

My excuse is that New Year is sort of passing me by since I'm working.

Did that work? ;)

heliona

Postby Hikaru » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:40 am

I am waving at you all the way from Tokyo! :yippie:
I was adopted here in 2004 and would love to rejoin you if you'll have me. I'm still a bookworm, so I'll fit right in.
I am planning to re-read the trilogy later this year; it's been way too long.
Hikaru
Petitioner to the Council

Postby truehobbit » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:10 am

Hi Hikaru, welcome back! I'm so glad you still remember this place! :D

Join us in the Talk Forum for some light chatting or discuss your ideas about pretty much everything in one of the other forums. I hope you'll enjoy your re-reading of LOTR when you start again! :D

I look forward to seeing you around. :)
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby truehobbit » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:11 am

Oops, double post. :oops:
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby heliona » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:22 pm

Naughty, naughty, Hobby. :nono: :D

Welcome back, Hikaru. There's an actual Bookworms thread in Talk too, which has a sort of book theme. :)

heliona

Postby Acituan » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:31 pm

Hello!
Even though I've already made a few posts I would like to be helped out in navigating my way through the forum. I am most interested in the books, movies, writing, and RPG-ing. I was heavily into LOTR but dropped it when I found my way into Doctor Who.
I would love to be adopted.
Acituan
Citizen of Imladris

PreviousNext

Return to Adoptions