Bookworms' Gateway to the Lounge & Garden III - All Welcome

Need a hand learning the ropes? Come here and find an experienced poster to adopt you! Visit the First Stop thread for a list of all those currently involved in the mentoring process and their interests and areas.

Postby heliona » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:08 am

Hello Acituan and welcome to TORC. :)

Well done for throwing yourself in. :thumbsup:

A very good place to start for finding out how the forum works are:

Message of WELCOME to New posters and GUIDELINES OF CONDUCT

and

A WELCOME and COMPREHENSIVE INTRODUCTION to this Board

(If you need to find them again, they are at the top of the Welcome forum.)

I'd certainly be more than happy to adopt you and help you out in any way I can. :) If you have any questions at all after reading those links (I'm suggesting the links because they put things much more succinctly than I ever could!) just pop back here and ask. :) (I've got an email notification on this thread so that if anyone posts then I'll be here in a flash. :D)

I hope that helps, and if not, then don't be afraid of speaking up. :)

Just to clarify, you mention that you are interested in RPG. Do you mean the role-playing that can be found here on TORC (I should explain that that is the colloquial term for these forums, which stems from its URL: www .theonering.com = TORC. :D) or rather games such as Dungeons & Dragons? I'm only asking because technically what can be found in our roleplaying forums is just that: "roleplaying". It is not strictly a game, but rather a story. It is a subtle distinction. :D If you're interested in D&D etc, then there is another forum, Games (Tolkien and more) dedicated to that. :)

If you are interested in the roleplaying that can be found right here on TORC (in the The Prancing Pony (Middle-earth only) and The Green Dragon Inn (Tolkien-influenced) forums) then there are certain guidelines that can be found at the top of those forums that should be followed. People put a lot of time and effort into their roleplaying stories, so understandably get a wee bit upset if someone hasn't read the guidelines. :) I don't mean at all to scare you off, not at all. Any new writer is always welcome, just "look before you leap" so to speak. :D

I hope that's helpful!
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby Acituan » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:54 am

I am more interested in RPG-ing in the TORC boards and such. I am a writer by trade and by choice so I would love to get in on the action!

Thank you so much for adopting me! I hope to speak to you again.

May the Valar protect you and may the blessing of Elves, men, and all free folk go with you!
Acituan
Citizen of Imladris

Postby heliona » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:01 pm

Excellent! We are always in need of more role-players here. :)

As I mentioned, there is a Guideline thread at the top of each of the roleplaying forums. Take a wee gander at that just to get your head around how things work.

The best way to start roleplaying is to start doing it. :D But remember to post in the OOC (out of character) thread first to let the other posters know that you're going to join. And also read the entire thread first - it's very frustrating when someone comes in and contradicts what's gone on before! It may also be a good idea to run some ideas past them too, to see if things gel with what they have in mind for how things are going to go. But don't give too much away! The best bit about roleplaying is how things change because people spring surprises. :D

Just remember not to spring a surprise using someone else's character unless they've given you permission - people generally get a little miffed when someone starts using their character without permission (however, giving them some dialogue etc is all right - just nothing major. And don't be offended if the character's originator asks you to change something because it doesn't work for their character. :)).

I found that the best way to get a feel for how roleplaying is done here on TORC is to go to an Inn first. The Lavender Hill Inn is really the only one open in The Prancing Pony forum at the moment. It isn't exactly what we call "RP Lite" which means you can just stroll in without having to introduce your character, but isn't quite like one of the quest threads.

Also, please bear in mind that most of the roleplaying threads go really slowly. I'm in one that hasn't been posted in for months due to the main instigator having a busy real life. As I'm sure you can appreciate, real life does intrude rather a lot on us having fun, so don't get impatient if the thread you're participating in doesn't move as fast as you'd like. Unfortunately aside from real life, that's also a by-product of there not being so many of us RPers posting any more. :)

(By the way, I am only speaking with regards The Prancing Pony, as I've never posted in The Green Dragon Inn, but I suspect that the same thing goes for that forum. :))

One other, entirely unrelated thing. New posters often find themselves running foul of the naughty word filter. :D As this is a family-friendly forum, we have a filter that sorts out curse words etc and replaces them with things like "bunny slippers". For some reason (I suspect it is to do with trying to fend off spambots) new posters often find that they can't post because the filter has thought that something innocuous such as "the bus hitting the patch of water" contains a bad word (the bu-s hit-ting the patch of water) and rather than translating it into something else, it just stops you from posting. It looks as thought you'll probably be all right now, as I think you're past the post count threshold, but just in case that happens to you, have patience! It happens to everyone. :)

Also, on another note, when you're posting in the Books forum, it is good practise to use the [quote] tag to either quote what other people have previously posted that you are responding to or to quote from a Tolkien book to back up your argument (and cite the source, naturally). Quite a few of the posters in Books are extremely knowledgeable when it comes to the books, but others aren't and it comes in really handy to know where the information comes from. :) (It also makes it easier to read the posts. ;))

If you can't work out how to get the posts looking quite right, feel free to ask. I've spent quite a lot of time previewing my posts and fiddling with things to get them to look right. :D (Also, the "Edit" button is my friend. :lol:)

I hope I'm not overloading you with information here. :D I get a bit overenthusiastic sometimes - sorry!
heliona

Postby Acituan » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:14 pm

That is okay.

Thank you for the helpful information! :)
Acituan
Citizen of Imladris

Postby heliona » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:06 pm

No problem. :) Most of all, remember to have fun! :D
Image<-- Celebrating Science in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona

Postby Acituan » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:17 pm

Having fun is what I am all about! :o
Acituan
Citizen of Imladris

Postby heliona » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:20 pm

:D You should fit in here no problem, then. :thumbsup:

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona

Postby Acituan » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:23 pm

I am already feeling quite at home (yes, joke instended). I love LOTR, and this site is just like the Grey Heavens!
Acituan
Citizen of Imladris

Postby heliona » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:26 pm

Well, I'm glad to hear that you've not been scared off by anyone/anything. :D We're generally a friendly bunch here. :) (Although Manwë can get rather serious - don't venture into that forum unless you've got a thick skin!)
heliona

Postby LordoftheRings_scholar » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:28 am

Hello all,

I am quite new to this internet messageboard thing but am not at all new to Lord of the Rings. Lord of the Rings has been my constant companion since I found the beloved tome on the dusty shelf of my father's many bookcases when I was eight. It took me many times of reading it through to understand it but I was hooked from the first chapter.
I am a christian girl who enjoys many different things: of course I love to read and never go anywhere without a book at my side, I enjoy waering costumes (much to my parents distress), I am learning Quenya, I play and am an umpire in softball, I am part of a christianized D&D group at my church, I really enjoy roleplaying (though I am not the best at it), I am teaching myself how to wield a quarterstaff, I greatly enjoy hiking and taking pictures of nature, I also love nature and love to garden (except when its hot), I love food and consider myself a hobbit in all aspects (I am only 5'). I hope that wasn't too much information about myself. I look forward to meeting many other booklovers and Lord of the Rings lovers in the near future.

Nai i Valar nauvar as elyë,
LordoftheRings_scholar
LordoftheRings_scholar
Citizen of Imladris

Postby rwhen » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:54 am

I welcomed you over in the "Welcome" Forum. Looks like you are starting to get some legs under you here on TORC.

heliona or Wilko will be along to welcome you to the adoption forum. Please feel comfortable and free to ask any questions at all.

You might check your thread in "Welcome" several folks have wished you well there.

Cheers,
rwhen
Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!OldToby

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Time out of Mind, forever bound to my Knight Ayslhyn

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever :hug:
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby heliona » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:03 am

LordoftheRings_scholar wrote:Hello all,

I am quite new to this internet messageboard thing but am not at all new to Lord of the Rings. Lord of the Rings has been my constant companion since I found the beloved tome on the dusty shelf of my father's many bookcases when I was eight. It took me many times of reading it through to understand it but I was hooked from the first chapter.
I am a christian girl who enjoys many different things: of course I love to read and never go anywhere without a book at my side, I enjoy waering costumes (much to my parents distress), I am learning Quenya, I play and am an umpire in softball, I am part of a christianized D&D group at my church, I really enjoy roleplaying (though I am not the best at it), I am teaching myself how to wield a quarterstaff, I greatly enjoy hiking and taking pictures of nature, I also love nature and love to garden (except when its hot), I love food and consider myself a hobbit in all aspects (I am only 5'). I hope that wasn't too much information about myself. I look forward to meeting many other booklovers and Lord of the Rings lovers in the near future.

Nai i Valar nauvar as elyë,
LordoftheRings_scholar

Welcome to TORC (theonering.com), and to the Bookworms LordoftheRings_scholar. :)

It certainly sounds like you're already fitting in here. :) As rwhen says, if you have any questions about anything, then feel free to post them here and I'll endeavour to answer them. :)

If you take a look back at my last couple of posts in this thread, there are some good links for information on how to format posts and things if you're not used to posting in forums. (And also info about the word filter that quite often trips up new posters. :))

I hope you enjoy your time here and that we see you in the forums! :)

As I said, any questions, ask away. :)
heliona

Postby LordoftheRings_scholar » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:35 am

Thank you :) :)
LordoftheRings_scholar
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Novice » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:12 am

'Allo, 'allo, 'allo! :D

I've been on SUCH a journey, to places far, far away. Back briefly, to see how the place is faring. I note the garden is lush and green, though I do believe the book cases need dusting (and someone has carved their initials into one of the writing desks! tsk, tsk).

How are we all? Any of the other hosts around, or are they off on their own journeys to distant lands?
Novice
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:46 am

Novice!! :hihi:

Welcome back!

Umm, I'm really the only person that keeps an eye on this thread (I get email notifications for it). Wilko is still around - he does a lot of lurking! - and truehobbit posts regularly. I think that's it, unfortunately.

But welcome back again!! :D
heliona

Postby Novice » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:54 am

Thank you Helly :) .

I recently saw some moot photos, and then the spontaneous explosion of conversation in its wake and it made me feel nostalgic.

It was so wonderful to see those faces, people who have meant so much and who are still so dear.
Novice
Ranger of the North

Postby striderchick » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:05 am

I still get the emails and I lurk, just haven't been posting anywhere.

Hello
striderchick
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:05 am

Yes, I've noticed that this last moot has in particular brought lots of people back, which I'm so happy about. I think it's great when people who drifted away from TORC for no real reason other than it just happened (it's happened to me more than once!) are lured back. :D

It's great to see you and I hope you stick around for a wee while. :)

heliona

Postby striderchick » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:09 am

Oh, think we crossed in transmission there.

But again, hello, still around-ish.

Nothing to say really. Polar blast in New Zealand.. even brought some "snow" to Auckland. Of course I couldn't get to a window to see in time (I'm too short to see out the window closest to my desk), so I maintain that it was just hail and I didn't miss a thing.
striderchick
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:12 am

Whoops, yes, we did. :D Good to see you, striderchick. How's things going? How are your studies going? I heard about the snow in Auckland via Stephen Fry (I follow him on Twitter and he's out there at the moment, filming his scenes for The Hobbit). Brrr! is all I can say. It's still (pretending to be) summer here. :D
heliona

Postby Novice » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:20 am

Striderchick, hello, hello! :D :D

Am very happy to see you are still here.

Helly, in my case, life became quite complicated - kids growing and dealing with a lot of bad stuff, including depression. It took me a while to find my way through it, to let go of old stuff to the point where the joy came through again.

I have visited on occasion in lurker mode and skulked in my old haunts but I rarely saw the old, familiar names and I guess I lacked the vitality and spirit to make new acquaintances and so I slunk away again.

Today, though, old names abound! I hope they stay; there's nothing like old friends and companions to encourage one. :)
Novice
Ranger of the North

Postby striderchick » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:24 am

I have graduated, and am currently working as a receptionist. Whilst still debating moving to Wellington to do what my friend loves to call "Masters in shhhhhh" (or Diploma rather than Masters, but, in Information Studies to be a librarian.

Argh I have a paper cut on the tip of my finger at the moment, making typing not the most pleasant experience. And I'm off to bed. Yawning away here, and for a moment I thought you'd meant you were literally talking to Stephen Fry like you're old friends haha. :D

Hello Novice. :D
striderchick
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:32 am

Novice wrote:Helly, in my case, life became quite complicated - kids growing and dealing with a lot of bad stuff, including depression. It took me a while to find my way through it, to let go of old stuff to the point where the joy came through again.

Oh, I'm glad to hear that you made it through to the other side. :)

I have visited on occasion in lurker mode and skulked in my old haunts but I rarely saw the old, familiar names and I guess I lacked the vitality and spirit to make new acquaintances and so I slunk away again.

Yes, I was like that when I left. I lurked, but I didn't know anyone, so I very rarely posted. Also, the boards were so busy (it was during the time of the movies and just afterwards) that I couldn't keep up!

I came back properly when I discovered that at my new job (where half of the time I am on night shifts) TORC was one of the few places that I could get to. As the night shifts were generally quiet, I had plenty of time to read posts and then gently merge back into TORC and make new friends. :) (Although some of my old ones pop up now and then and it's always lovely to see them. :))

Today, though, old names abound! I hope they stay; there's nothing like old friends and companions to encourage one. :)

Absolutely! And hopefully you can stick around - if you've the time and inclination - and enjoy the boards once again. :D

striderchick wrote:I have graduated, and am currently working as a receptionist. Whilst still debating moving to Wellington to do what my friend loves to call "Masters in shhhhhh" (or Diploma rather than Masters, but, in Information Studies to be a librarian.

Ooh, that's something that I've wanted to do for ages (be a librarian). When I was little, I organised all my books in alphabetical order (they're not at the moment, and it grates me just a little bit!) and also put labels on each one, just like in a library. :lol:
Yawning away here, and for a moment I thought you'd meant you were literally talking to Stephen Fry like you're old friends haha. :D

Yes, as I was typing, I thought I'd best qualify that I was following him on Twitter and didn't know him personally! :D
heliona

Postby Frodobaggins1986 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:25 pm

I came back because of The Hobbit trailer.

While I was gone, I actually wrote a novel. I'm self-publishing early next year.
Frodobaggins1986
Shield Bearer

Postby striderchick » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:28 pm

I've been on Facebook too long, I was looking for the "Like" button for your message...

The hobbit trailer looks awesome, I am loving Richard Armitage.

What is your novel about?
striderchick
Ranger of the North

Postby Frodobaggins1986 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:47 pm

My novel is an Oz book, called Outsiders from Oz. I have a press announcement here:

http://newwwoz.blogspot.com/2011/06/out ... -soon.html

I wound up including themes about forgiveness and re-evaluating how you view people.
Frodobaggins1986
Shield Bearer

Postby heliona » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:32 am

Welcome back, Frodobaggins1986 and congratulations on getting your book published! :thumbsup:

heliona

Postby Phillip » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:21 am

Hello,

I am new here. Unfortunately I don't really know what to tell about myself. I'm from Germany and right now am in the process of graduating in something linguistics-related. I have no exciting hobbies or remarkable talents.

In recent years I have become more and more interested in Tolkien's work. Like so many others the LotR movies prompted me to reread the books. Then I got the Silmarillion (still in translation) and one thing led to another. I decided to read the originals, started to look for online resources etc.

So far I have never been part of any Tolkien-related community and my discussions have been limited to the occasional thread on general interest message boards. Now I am here to change that.

Phillip

PS: I apologize for any bad English.
Phillip
Petitioner to the Council

Postby truehobbit » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:35 am

Hello Phillip and welcome to TORC! :)

I think Tolkien is a very exciting hobby. ;) I hope you'll find lots of things to discuss here - jump right in, whether it be serious or light-hearted topics and don't hesitate to start topics yourself. If you have any questions, that's what we're here for.

Members of TORC tend to be a friendly, welcoming bunch, so don't worry - most of us have been here for a long time, so we know each other fairly well, but don't let that put you off. :)

Your English seems perfectly correct, btw. :D

I look forward to reading your posts. :)
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby Phillip » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:35 am

Thank you!

Right now I am reading a bit and trying to learn about this place.
Phillip
Petitioner to the Council

PreviousNext

Return to Adoptions