The Latte Lounge, version 2.0

Need a hand learning the ropes? Come here and find an experienced poster to adopt you! Visit the First Stop thread for a list of all those currently involved in the mentoring process and their interests and areas.

The Latte Lounge, version 2.0

Postby CoffeeElves » Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:37 pm

You find yourself before a dark wooden door. It is set with small windows but the glass is wavy and tinted and you can’t see through them. You push it open – it’s very heavy – and are immediately greeted by soothing harp music and bright warm lights.

Straight ahead of you is a counter, behind which you see a refrigerator, an espresso machine, a large blender, and other assorted coffee-related items. The walls are deep blue and decorated with pictures of the sea. In every corner as well as scattered throughout the room there are comfy-looking armchairs and couches in blue, purple, green, and silver. Low wooden coffee tables rest before each one.

On the counter is a precariously high stack of wide-rimmed coffee mugs of every color. Above the counter is a menu, and behind it are two smiling Elves. When you come a little closer you can read their name tags, which say “Luthy” and “G_e”.

You glance up at the menu and see an assortment of flavored lattes, cappuccinos, frozen coffees, smoothies, and regular coffees of every sort. You glance back behind the counter and notice a long list of the flavorings, everything from Caramel to English Toffee (with a sticker beside it which reads “Luthy’s favorite!”) to Raspberry-Hazelnut. You are quite some time in studying the back of the coffee bar and the rest of the café, and when you look back at the two nametagged Elves, one of them (you can’t tell them apart yet) smiles and says, “What can I get for you?”

Aiya, suildad, hail! Welcome to Tolkien Online, and welcome to the Adoptions thread and Coffee Shop of luthienelflover (Luthy) and Galadriel_elanor (G_e). We’re so happy to have you here! We are here to help you settle into Tolkien Online. We want your stay to be as comfortable, enjoyable, and lengthy as possible!

Tolkien Online is a huge, complicated place, but all it takes is time and a little help to figure it out. That’s our job – helping! Think of the people you meet here as your family on Tolkien Online, and think of us two as your older sisters – the nice kind, of course, not the kind who beats you up! ;)

We also have free coffee for all new members of TORC – Luthy can make passable flavored lattes and cappuccino (she’s been practicing pulling shots of espresso, and she’s gotten better!), and G_e can make wonderful smoothies, frozen coffees, and regular coffees. Request whatever you like!

First off, let us explain a few common terms and give you a few suggestions as to where to start.

You are going to see this a lot: “Welcome to TORC!” TORC was the old name of Tolkien Online – TheOneRing.Com. The name of the site has changed now, but we still affectionately call it TORC. TolkienOnline.com is TORC, and you are now a TORCer!

A common question is “What are those little symbols below my name?” You get little symbols for the number of posts you make. For ever 10 posts you make, you receive a little sword. For every 50, you get a diamond. For every 100, you get a red shield, 500 you get a green Rohan shield, and so forth. You also get a new title when you reach a certain number of posts. 0 posts is Petitioner to the Council; 20 is Citizen of Imladris; 100 is Shield Bearer; 500 is Rider of the Mark; and so on.

There is so much you can do on this site, but there are also some rules. Now, the last thing we want to do is intimidate you, but it’s good to know the rules before you begin posting on the boards. Please check out the TOS (Terms of Service), a quick read that outlines the basic rules and guidelines that you’ll need to follow. They can be found here. :) Some other general tips and suggestions about how to act to best fit into TORC can be found here. We would suggest you read through them and try to take them to heart. :)

That’s enough about rules for now! Now we have some suggestions on things to read just to help you have a more enjoyable experience here at TORC. First, read the FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) at the top of this forum; they can be found right here. If you still have time, check out A Comprehensive Introduction To This Messageboard.

Even after reading all that, I’m sure you’re going to still have questions. That is what the three of us are here for. You may ask us anything about TORC that you like, and we’ll do our best to answer. First, we want to tell you a little about ourselves.

Luthienelflover:

Hi! I’m luthienelflover, but I’m known as Luthy. I’ve been a member of TORC for three years, and I think we can fairly say that I’m addicted by now! In real life, I’m a student, focusing on English (writing and literature), though I don’t yet know what I want to do once I get out. I spend most of my time here on TORC in The Bird and the Baby, which is the Talk forum; the Alliances and Guilds forum (where you can gather in threads with other people who enjoy the same things you do); and the Prancing Pony (for Role-playing). I also spend a lot of time in Books (Other Authors) and The Scriptorium of Imladris (for writers and people who like to critique writing). I have, however, spent time in almost all of TORC’s forums and I should be able to answer questions about any of them. I love to read and write, and I play piano and flute and am learning guitar. I occasionally write my own music as well. Feel free to ask me anything, and have a great time on TORC!

Galadriel_elanor: Hi there everyone and welcome to our adoptions thread! My name is Galadriel_elanor (many call me G_e, GE or sometimes Butterfly) and I've been on TORC for almost 2 years. I'm currently a college student studying Animation, but I always find time in my hectic schedule to come on TORC (can anyone say addiction? :D). I love art, crafts, music (I play the guitar, ukelele and piano), writing, animals and my favourite sport - archery! I spend most of my time on TORC in Guilds and Alliances, Talk, Tom's and Art, but I also visit all the other forums (even movies!) and will gladly assist you with any problem you may have. So take off your coat, pull up a chair, have a seat and stay awhile - you'll be glad you did! :D ((Butterfly huggles!))

All in all, we’re here to help and we’re very happy to have you here! :hug:

And especially: WELCOME TO TORC! :)

Now, what can we get you?

~Luthy and G_e

PS: This version is due to a hacking that deleted our old thread. :(

Adoptees
Vana_the_Ever-young (Vey)
Feaguire (Fea)
Gwenelf (Sil)
Luthien_Elentari (Luthie)
Valira (Val)
Eriugeaf (Eri)
Kellian (Kell)
Tethairwen (Teth)
The-Pink-Tennis-Ball (tptb)
Shagrat23
Shagilatron

Honorary adoptees
Wynken :D
Last edited by CoffeeElves on Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:50 am, edited 6 times in total.
CoffeeElves
Petitioner to the Council

Postby ddraigwen » Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:20 pm

W00t I'll take some free coffee :)

Like what you've done with the place, very comfy and caffeinated
ddraigwen
Ranger of the North

Postby luthienelflover » Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:24 pm

Free coffee for the DD!

...Though I don't think you qualify, considering you're a Middlebie and so not "new" at all.... but we'll make an exception because you are the first to post in our new post-haxx0r thread B^;)

What kind do you like? :D

Luthy
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby ddraigwen » Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:03 pm

Anything strong black with a lot of caffeine

something so thick that you try to stir it and the spoon runs away
ddraigwen
Ranger of the North

Postby Galadriel_elanor » Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:15 am

Ahhhhh - so you did have the first page saved - very good Luthy!

Our poor thread. *sniff* I miss it!!

I see that Luthy has already gotten you a drink dd. Feel free to come back fo another! Did you know I can make delicious smooties and frozen hot chocolates?

;)
Galadriel_elanor
Ranger of the North

Postby Evenstar_of_Imladris » Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:48 pm

Welcome back to the neighborhood you two! :hug:

Still not a coffee drinker and since I gave up soda pop for Lent I won't have my obligatory Dr. Pepper either. Got anything resembling lemonade back there? :)

Evenstar_of_Imladris
Evenstar_of_Imladris
Ringbearer

Postby feaguire » Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:28 am

Yay! The thread is back! :D

Fea :)
feaguire
Ranger of the North

Postby Vana_the_Ever-Young » Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:11 pm

It's back! It's back! It's back! :drink: :drink: <---That's coffee, of course. :D

I'm really glad you had that first post saved. :)

:grouphug:

:horse: Vey
Vana_the_Ever-Young
Ranger of the North

Postby luthienelflover » Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:08 pm

Me too! :D

Maybe having a short thread will attract more new people? ;)

Eve, we have LOTS of lemonade. I assume you don't mind Mike's? :P:rofl:

:D:D:D

:drink::drink::drink: <---------- coffee :D
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby Evenstar_of_Imladris » Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:17 am

I wasn't aware that coffee shops sold that kind of lemonade. :rofl:

Evenstar_of_Imladris
Evenstar_of_Imladris
Ringbearer

Postby luthienelflover » Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:00 pm

We aren't the normal sort of coffee shop, you know? :D =:)
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby Evenstar_of_Imladris » Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:23 pm

Well....uh....you got me there. Can't disagree with that! :P

Evenstar_of_Imladris
Evenstar_of_Imladris
Ringbearer

Postby luthienelflover » Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:27 pm

Wouldn't life be boring if virtual coffee shops were the same as "real" ones?

(I feel like debating the nature of reality. Anyone want to join me? :P)
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby Galadriel_elanor » Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:45 pm

Our coffee shop is SPECIAL. :)

I find real life ones are too huffy-puffy, like all the "sophistocated people" go there, at least if it's a starbucks or Timothy's or Second Cup. I sometimes like to go and draw in a coffee shop, just because you get those kinda people in there - they're fun to draw and cartoonize.

:)
Galadriel_elanor
Ranger of the North

Postby GwenElf » Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:26 pm

We have two coffee shops in my town. One comes across as sort of snobby, sophisticated, and at the very least, more expensive. ;) It's not the sort of place you hang out, although, on the plus side, they do have wireless internet.
The other place, where I pracitcally live, is very homey and friendly. The owners, a husband and wife, are always happy to explain how to make drinks and are very accomodating. And they have comfy furniture and loooottss of bookses, precious. :D

So I'm an official adoptee, huh? Coolies! :drink: <--- latte

Eve, now I'm craving lemonade. :P :D

*Starts doing the New Member dance* :happydance:

~Sil
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby Galadriel_elanor » Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:15 pm

That second coffee shop sounds very cool Sil. Sounds just like the place where I could go, curl up and draw till my heart's content. :)

Around here all we have are Tim Horton's - and they like your regular run-of-the-mill fast-foodish coffee shop. It's good coffee, just not that homey atmosphere like some coffee shops have.

((Hugsies for the dancing Sil!)) :hug:
Galadriel_elanor
Ranger of the North

Postby luthienelflover » Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:17 pm

Sil, you asked to be adopted a few months ago :P About the same time that Luthie asked. B^

Yeah, that coffee store is great. It's the one I based most of the description of our store on :D And the owners are so nice. They let us do dishes and they even let me pull shots once, even though I had no idea how. B^
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby GwenElf » Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:41 pm

GE-- Here is a link to the coffee store's website, and, just for kicks, here's a picture of the owner. (You have to click on the Group and then Robert) Tee hee. :D
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby oldtoby » Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:41 pm

They let us do dishes

I bet if you asked to clean the place he would let you do that too. :roll:
oldtoby
Ringbearer

Postby luthienelflover » Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:47 pm

They let us do that once. :P

He always insists on paying us though. And I like doing the dishes :P
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby Eriugeaf » Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:11 pm

Can I be adopted?

I'm not picky who.

I just want to be loved! Thats all.

:P

I like coffee! Mocha rules! And I like english toffee ice-cream Yum!!!

My favourites!

Eri :D
Eriugeaf
Ranger of the North

Postby GwenElf » Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:06 am

luthienelflover wrote:They let us do that once. :P

He always insists on paying us though.

And when I wouldn't take the money, he chased me around the store with it until I took it... Imagine, running from money. :D

Eri! You made it! Pull up a couch and make yourself comfortable! Can I make you something to drink? (Unless you're full from the Talk thread. :D )

~Sil
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby luthienelflover » Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:54 am

Welcome Eri! We'd be thrilled to adopt you! I shall add you to the first post :D

If you have any questions, ask us! That's what we're here for :D

And to chat of course ;)

Luthy
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby Kellian » Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:41 pm

Kellian slinks into the coffee house, drenched from head to foot, his blonde hair dripping water onto the nice, clean floor, and a sheepish grin on his face.

Er, hello everyone. Is anyone in here interested in adopting a problem child?

=:)
Kellian
Petitioner to the Council

Postby luthienelflover » Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:43 pm

Kell!

*Pounce*

You're here!

Just don't let Ar near you, he's been telling everyone you're "his" Elf :whistle:

We'd be thrilled to adopt you, I shall add you to the first post immediately. :D
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby Shieldmaiden_pippin » Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:44 pm

*tackles Kellian and drags him off with her*

Of course they want to adopt you.

But I don't belong here. I just wanted to say Hi.

err..Hi :D

:roll:

Pippy
Shieldmaiden_pippin
Ranger of the North

Postby luthienelflover » Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:47 pm

You are added. You are now officially our Elf.

...BWAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA! =:)
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby Eriugeaf » Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:09 pm

I can never be full of yous smoothies!!

Can I have one of those, please!!?? :(

I really like caramel and English toffee!!!!

And I like strawberries! And peaches!!!!!

Hello Kellian!!!

Hello everyone else!!!

I am adopted! Wow! Thank you, I feel so honoured!!! Really I do!!

Eri :D
Eriugeaf
Ranger of the North

Postby luthienelflover » Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:18 am

English Toffee is my favorite Eri :love: It's heavenly :D

I'll make you an English Toffee latte straightaway :D

And you don't need to feel honored! I mean, I'm flattered that you do, but we're really just folks :P
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby Eriugeaf » Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:22 am

Ok, I'm not honoured then! :P

MMMMMM, english toffee!!

Yum!!

It was cold today! I need coffeee!!!

Eri :)
Eriugeaf
Ranger of the North

Next

Return to Adoptions