The Latte Lounge, version 2.0

Need a hand learning the ropes? Come here and find an experienced poster to adopt you! Visit the First Stop thread for a list of all those currently involved in the mentoring process and their interests and areas.

Postby Faith_Hawking » Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:06 pm

Luthy
*whispers* Have you tried spiking their latte? :D

Ducks and runs...... :lol:
Faith_Hawking
Shield Bearer

Postby luthienelflover » Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:09 pm

:rofl: They'd shut me down... we do need to maintain a certain standard. (Or at least pretend to. :whistle: ) At least, they'd probably kick me out and let GE run the place all on her own... and I'd be sad. :'( Probably not a good idea. :P
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby GwenElf » Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:15 pm

Shut you down!! The Horror!!!!

Hi everyone!! *Waves, smiles* Come in and try a smoothie! Or a coffee! Or a latte!

:)

~Sil
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Hi!

Postby ElessarTelcontar » Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:22 pm

I like what is going on here.

I want to know, would you adopt me. I'm new to TORC but have been a long standing fan of Tolkien.

Thanks
ElessarTelcontar
Petitioner to the Council

Postby luthienelflover » Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:43 pm

Hello ElessarTelcontar! :D Do you mind if we shorten your name? How would Elessar be? :D

Welcome to TORC! We'd of course be thrilled to have you. :)

Please check out our chat thread! It can be found righ here (click me!). We'd love to chat with you there! We're also happy to answer any and all questions. :)

Luthy
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby ElessarTelcontar » Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:51 pm

Elessar will be fine. I just threw the other in b/c that's my login to everything else I'm a member of.
Before I enter the chat room I have a few questions.

1. Do I have to be in a certain group of something to choose an Alliance banner or can I pick my own?

2. Can I just walk in on the discussions on the chat room or wait for a new comment?

3. How do you join these guilds?

Thanks and I appreciate this.
ElessarTelcontar

Postby luthienelflover » Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:56 pm

Nope, you can choose your own banner! They're all free for the taking. :) Some people will try to persuade you to choose one way or the other (I hear the Dark alliances are particularly persuasive... *glances at my own alliance* Um... yes. :P) but you have the choice in the end. :D

You can just walk right into the discussions. Read a bit of the thread so you know what's going on first, and then go ahead and post and introduce yourself. :)

To join the guilds, just choose one you think is interesting, post, and ask them if you can join! Usually there's no more to it than that. Some people ask you to answer a few questions or something, but in most of them all you have to do is ask. :)

Hope that helps!

Luthy
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Sorry

Postby ElessarTelcontar » Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:59 pm

I feel bad asking so many questions but I have a few more to ask.

1. Out of curiosity what time zone are you in, so I know when to usually expect you all to be on. Right know it's 9:00 p.m. where I am.

2. Is there a way to access or save the Latte Lounge chat room without me going through the adoption section.

3. How do I get to the different Guilds.

Thanks once again.
ElessarTelcontar

Postby luthienelflover » Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:15 pm

I'm in the US EST, which is GMT - 4 if I recall. However people are on all different times during the day, and you really don't have to have other people on at the same time to find stuff to respond to. :)

To get to the Lounge's chat thread, go to the main forum page http://forums.theonering.com/index.php and click on "Talk: The Bird and the Baby" and look for the thread with the title "The Latte Lounge goes Talk! All welcome" or something to that effect. :)

To get to the guilds go to the same main forum page and this time click on "Alliances and Guilds: The Peoples of Middle Earth".

No problem! Ask as many questions as you'd like. :)

Luthy
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

RP

Postby ElessarTelcontar » Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:28 pm

What is the RP all about. How do you play and what is the idea behind it. I looked at the guild list and saw some interesting ones and was wondering how to approach and play these.
[/i]
ElessarTelcontar

Postby luthienelflover » Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:49 pm

RPing is sort of collaborative story-writing, but it usually isn't the sort of thing you plan out extensively in advance. Generally, each person has a character or two. The person who starts the RP thread comes up with a premise (most of them don't exactly fit into Tolkien's Middle Earth if you're going strictly by the canon, but that's all right ;)) such as a quest for a treasure, some sort of war, whatever they wish. Look at a few threads in the "Prancing Pony" forum for some examples. :) They write a bit, a few paragraps or a few pages depending on their tastes, from the point of view of their characters. Then the next person comes along, likes the premise, and inserts a character. So let's say person 1 has a Gondorian man wandering around Minas Tirith for whatever reason -- person 2 might have a Gondorian boy who works in a carpenter's shop and is taking a break, and person two would then write his character somehow meeting person 1's character. Then it goes back to person 1 to write from their character's point of view. Usually finding reasons for the characters to know one another and for them all to go on their quest or whatever is the toughest part. It gets much simpler after that. :D

If you want examples, again, I'd suggest you take a look in the Prancing Pony forums. :) I know I'm not doing a great job explaining. It's late and I'm kind of sick ;)
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby Em » Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:26 pm

G'day,
I have a question, maybe it's because I'm blind but I can't find the link for the next pahe and do on so forth. I am horribly blind and I know as soon as I post this I'll find it but I may as well introduce myself while here. I go by the anme Em, most people call me Em I can't see why you guys can't do the same.
Em
Em

Postby Em » Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:31 pm

G'day,
See! What did I say? Found them right under my nose, now I feel stupid. :oops: I think I'll go cook. * I cook when I'm annoyed* Buy also because it's fun, actually I think I'll paint.
Em
Em

Postby luthienelflover » Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:11 am

Hi Em! :D

Please don't feel bad about not seeing it -- I must admit it took me a while as well :oops: Welcome to TORC! Please feel free to hang around here as much as you like, or check out our chat thread click me. :)

Luthy
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby GwenElf » Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:24 pm

Hello Elessar and Em!! Welcome to TORC, both of you!! *HUGSES*! :hug:

I'm Sil, Luthy's....erm, how would you describe me... free labour? ;) I pretend I work in the Lounge, even though I don't. (Bwahaha!) Still, I think I make pretty good espresso and smoothies, so if you'd like something to drink, let me know!

~Sil
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby GwenElf » Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:39 pm

Bump!!

Are bumps allowed in Adoptions threads?

.....guess they are now. :P

*Fires up the espresso machine and heats up the apple cider* Apple cider lattes, coming up!!!

~Sil
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby luthienelflover » Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:41 pm

YUMMY. :shock: *want*

Want to make me one, Sil? :D:D:D
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby The-Tennis-Ball-Kid » Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:42 pm

Trickseh, Silleh.... :shock:

*waits for n00bs*
:whistle:

ttbk
The-Tennis-Ball-Kid
Mariner

Location: The East of East, Fighting Wild Were-worms in The Last Desert

Postby GwenElf » Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:15 pm

How do you think that would taste in RL? Pretty odd? I have apple cider and an espresso machine.. I could try it... It'd be like mixing coffee and apple juice though.. hmm... Maybe some cinnamon'd help?

*Tries it*
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby Thewhitetree » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:23 am

So? How'd it taste? :?:

*sets n00b traps*

:twisted:

:whistle:
Thewhitetree
Mariner

Postby Tethairwen » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:46 am

*removes TWT's n00b traps*
Naughty tree...:nono: go pick on someone of your own age and experience and leave the n00bs alone. :club: Or Else.

:D

Teth
Tethairwen
Ranger of the North

Postby luthienelflover » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:59 am

Good job Teth! :clap::clap:

Be nice to the n00bs or else, TWT. =:)
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby Thewhitetree » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:28 pm

Well we need traps to make them stay. With you lot they'd run off in a day.

=:)

;)

*replaces traps with more traps*

=:)
Thewhitetree
Mariner

Postby Tethairwen » Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:25 am

Whadda ya mean, our lot? You're the one who scares them off, with those =:) smileys. And besides, it's a free messageboard. We're here for those who want to stay, not have to stay. :P

Teth
Tethairwen
Ranger of the North

Postby GwenElf » Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:41 pm

Yeah! What she said!

*nod*

:D

Hi everyone! :)

Ahh, spamming up the Adoptions thread... so Emporiumesque... *sigh* :D
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby Thewhitetree » Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:34 pm

I'll have you know that I was never adopted. My spamming was purely self-taught. :P
Thewhitetree
Mariner

Postby oldtoby » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:16 pm

It shows, you are terrible at it. :twisted:
oldtoby
Ringbearer

Postby Tethairwen » Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:08 pm

:nono:

Bad boys... you're not supposed to tell the n00bies how to spam until after they're adopted. :P

Teth
Tethairwen
Ranger of the North

Postby IamMoose » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:28 am

Hello, does anyone want to adopt me? I am brand shiny new (still in the plastic wrapper!) and fully house trained! I am a big Tolkien fan - well naturally or I would not be here - and also like Lewis, Rowling and most nineteenth century Lit..

*sits in shop window looking pleadingly out at potential adopters...*
IamMoose
Mariner

Postby luthienelflover » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:32 am

Hi IamMoose! :D

We'd be absolutely thrilled to adopt you! Welcome to TORC! :) Please call me Luthy, and if you have any questions at all don't hesitate to ask. :)

Lewis is one of my favorite authors as well -- probably not a huge surprise. ;) Have you read many of his theological works? Those are my favorites, specifically Mere Christianity and The Problem of Pain and The Screwtape Letters. :)

Also check out our chat thread, which can be found here. It's a great place to meet some of TORC's posters and make a few friends. Everyone is very friendly (albeit a bit crazy, but you get used to that pretty quickly, I promise ;)) and we all love new people. :)

I hope you have a great time here. :D

Luthy

PS If you're a fan of JK Rowling, may I suggest this thread? It's a long read, but it's worth it, trust me. I could also find the old one that was shut down for you if you would like. It's probably the best Harry Potter discussion on the web -- the posters are very thoughtful and insightful. I don't post there myself but I always read it. :)
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

PreviousNext

Return to Adoptions