The Latte Lounge, version 2.0

Need a hand learning the ropes? Come here and find an experienced poster to adopt you! Visit the First Stop thread for a list of all those currently involved in the mentoring process and their interests and areas.

Postby IamMoose » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:38 am

Hiya!

Thanks for thread recommendations! I've got to scoot in a minute but I will be back later this evening and will check them all out there :). Yes, I've read quite a lot of Lewis's theology and quite enjoy it. My favourite book of his is Till We Have Faces though..

Now you're my new mummy, do I get pocket money?! :wink:
IamMoose
Mariner

Postby luthienelflover » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:40 am

Only if you behave!!! :shock: :P

Till We Have Faces is a great one too. In fact after the Chronicles of Narnia it was the first one of his that I read. Have you read the Space Trilogy? What did you think of it?

I look forward to seeing you around. :D
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby IamMoose » Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:18 am

Yes .. I enjoyed the Space Trilogy. I think That Hideous Strength was probably my favourite of the three although it was different in tone and theme than the other two :)

I like this adoption scheme! It's quite intimidating really to join a new forum where some people have been present for years and have thousands of posts..
IamMoose
Mariner

Postby luthienelflover » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:35 am

Oh, I know, believe me. You wouldn't be able to tell looking at my monsterload of posts ;) but I was new at one point too and it was almost a year before I really got into TORC because I didn't know anybody. I think adoption is really a wonderful idea. :D

That Hideous Strength was very good, I agree, but I liked Perelandra the best of the three. I don't know why -- perhaps the beautiful language. :) Also That Hideous Strength took me about a year to get into because the beginning just seemed so abysmally boring to me. :P It took me four tries before I actually managed to get past the first few chapters and into the good stuff. B^
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby IamMoose » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:56 am

Yeah the beginning of THS was slightly dull :). The trouble I had was that I didn't find the two main characters, Jane and Mark Studdock, all that likeable really so it took me a while to care about what happened to them.

Apropos of nothing, do I automatically get subscribed to threads on here? And if I do, is there a place where I will be able to see all my subscribed threads?
IamMoose
Mariner

Postby The-Tennis-Ball-Kid » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:05 pm

I could also find the old one that was shut down for you if you would like.

Or I could. :P

The Old That Was Shut Down

Welcome, IAmMoose. :D

ttbk
The-Tennis-Ball-Kid
Mariner

Location: The East of East, Fighting Wild Were-worms in The Last Desert

Postby IamMoose » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:13 pm

Thank you! *beams at new ready made family*

Incidentally, how come we both have blue wizards? I mean they're very nice, I like it and would like to keep it, but why doesn't everyone have one?
IamMoose
Mariner

Postby luthienelflover » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:33 pm

You get to choose your banner. Most people choose something nice like the Shire or Valinor. I am, as you can see, rather more wicked than that. :P (har har)

Go to the main page (www.theonering.com) and then on the bar on the left go to "membership" and then "my settings" and you can fiddle with your messageboard settings a lot. :) You can change colors and banners and all sorts of things.

ttbk -- :nono: I was going to do it! B^

You do not automatically get subscribed to threads, Moose (incidentally, would it be okay if we call you Moose? It's easier than typing the whole thing and I'm a lazy bum. We're big fans of nicknames here. :P). When you make a post, right above the "preview" and "submit" buttons, there are three check-boxes, one of which is "notify me when a reply is posted". Click that box and you're subscribed. :) As far as I know there's no way to see all of your subscribed threads, but they do send you an email every time the thread is updated. Also, if you become a Premiere Member (it costs $5 a month, and you get a custom title and picture and signature, like I have) you can bookmark threads through a feature called "my favorites". I think that's close to what you're talking about, though I've never used it myself.
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby IamMoose » Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:16 pm

Thank you!! I will set aside 20 mins tomorrow to have a good fiddle with the control panel. I rather like the wizard though i have to say :).

Sure calling me Moose or Moosey if fine .. most people do (well not in real life, obviously, but this is what I go by on the COS Harry Potter forums, and in the Narnia chat room I go to sometimes..).
IamMoose
Mariner

Postby IamMoose » Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:17 pm

Thank you!! I will set aside 20 mins tomorrow to have a good fiddle with the control panel. I rather like the wizard though i have to say :).

Sure calling me Moose or Moosey if fine .. most people do (well not in real life, obviously, but this is what I go by on the COS Harry Potter forums, and in the Narnia chat room I go to sometimes..).

Oops I seem to have double posted - my browser stopped responding as the message was posting so I kept pressing 'post'. Is it possible to get one removed? :D
Last edited by IamMoose on Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IamMoose
Mariner

Postby Tethairwen » Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:18 pm

We're big fans of nicknames here.

Right-o... Luthy gave me my nickname too. ;)

And welcome, Moose. :D

Heh... I see I'm not the only book geek, though our interests seem to be a bit different. I prefer history (especially WW2), Louis L'Amour, Tolkien (of course), and a few other authors. I've never read C.S. Lewis since I tried The Screwtape Letters at age 10. :roll: I got about 2 pages in and quit.

Teth
Tethairwen
Ranger of the North

Postby luthienelflover » Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:21 pm

Age 10 is waaaaaay too young for the Screwtape Letters, Teth. :P

Moose, double posts are sometimes removed but most of the time the mods don't bother. Usually we just edit one of them to indicate it wasn't on purpose and then leave it. Don't worry about it -- it happens to all of us :D One of our favorite stories is about how one of our posters, when his daughter was born, came to announce the birth and accidentally posted the same thing 10 times! :D
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby IamMoose » Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:24 pm

Ha! The other day I accidentally sent 14 copies of the same text message to my brother apparently. I forgot to lock my phone before I put it in my bag..
IamMoose
Mariner

Postby Tethairwen » Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:30 pm

Moose - :D :D :D ... Mom often will put her phone in her purse, and then accidentally call Dad at work more than once. Of course she doesn't realize it, so Dad will just hang up. :roll: We fianlly taught her how to lock it.

You know, normally Mondays are nasty, but I like Mondays this semester. In fact the only day I don't like is Tuesday. Please, if I schedule 4 classes and a 2-hour lab on one day ever again, just bang me over the head with a 2x4 until I change the schedule. :bang:

edit: You know what? I just realized this was the adoption thread, not the chat thread... :oops: I think it's time to move there. :whistle:

Teth
Last edited by Tethairwen on Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tethairwen
Ranger of the North

Postby luthienelflover » Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:32 pm

I hate my Thursdays... 3 2-hour classes in a row. :(

My Tuesdays last semester were AMAZING. One 1 1/2 hour class and that was it. This semester they're slightly less amazing. :P But my Wednesdays are only one one-hour class, so... :D

Okay, now we're getting into the type of stuff that should rightly be in the chat thread -- so let's take it over there and leave this thread primarily for questions again, okay? :D

Here is the most recent page of the thread if you're having trouble finding it. :)

Moose -- most of the people who post there read over here too, so just introduce yourself. The thread is for discussion about anything, and we're not really on a topic right now :P so bring up whatever you'd like. :D
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby weresquirrel_of_mirkwood » Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:42 pm

hello peeps, any chance of a quality coffee? Don't spoil it by putting anything in it please! And make it strong, I'm gonna be up all night reading heart of myrial!

Stee
weresquirrel_of_mirkwood
Shield Bearer

Postby luthienelflover » Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:15 pm

Hi Weresquirrel! I know I already welcomed you over in the chat thread, but I thought I should do it again! Welcome to TORC and we are so glad to have you! :D If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. :)
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby elfshadow » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:32 pm

I just wanted to say that if you are adopted by the Latte Lounge than you will rock for all eternity. :P So this is pretty much the one you should choose. :D

:love:
elfshadow
Ringbearer

Postby luthienelflover » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:58 pm

Awwwwwwwwwwwwww, thank you Elxha!!! :D:D:D :love: :hug:
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby lady*of*rohan » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:25 pm

I just relized I've never been in here before.

I'm incredibly bored and am going around to thread I've never been in before. :lol:

Anyway, Nice thread guys!

I always forget that Luthy's an adopter. :oops:

huggles
:angel: Rohy
lady*of*rohan
Ranger of the North

Postby luthienelflover » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:33 pm

Rohy, this thread is supposed to be reserved for welcoming newbies and questions. If you want to chat stop by the chat thread in talk please. :)

Or if you'd like to leave a message for future n00bs that'd be fine too. :)
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby lady*of*rohan » Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:32 pm

I know Luthy! I was just bored and relized I'd never been in here. :)

*slips out quietly*

huggles
:angel: Rohy
lady*of*rohan
Ranger of the North

Postby Emmajay » Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:05 am

So, how does this adopting thing work, and what does it do? You come recommended, Luthy, so I thought I'd beg for protection here ... Make mine a mochachino, please! :wink:
Emmajay
Citizen of Imladris

Postby luthienelflover » Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:19 am

Hey there Emmajay! :D

Mochachino, coming right up! (Now I just have to figure out how to make one. :P)

Welcome to TORC (standing for TheOneRing.Com)! :D Basically, adoption is just a way for you to learn about TORC without having to do so by trial and error. It's a huge board out there, and I know it can be difficult to figure out the rules right away! Also it can be hard to get your feet wet with so many people who already know each other. Please feel free to check out the Latte Lounge's chat thread in the Talk forum (which can be found here) to meet some TORCers -- they're all absolutely lovely and friendly. :D Then, if you have any questions (about how TORC works, or who people are, or about something puzzling that happened -- anything really!), you can ask them either here or there and I (and everyone else!) will do my best to answer them.

Again, welcome to TORC, and welcome to the Latte Lounge! It's great to have you. I hope you stick around. :)
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby Emmajay » Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:33 am

Ok, great :) thanks! It's certainly a city aong forums, this one, quite intimidating! But if they're all as friendly as you I'm sure I'll have no trouble. Thanks again, I'm going to amble towards towards the latte lounge thread...
Emmajay
Citizen of Imladris

Postby luthienelflover » Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:37 am

Don't worry, everyone's extremely friendly, and I can see how it would be a bit intimidating at first but it really clears up very fast. :D:D
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby Galadriel_elanor » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:36 pm

My Goodness... I really have some catching up to do! :shock:

*slaps wrist for not being a better adopter* :oops:

Anywho, to all I have missed in the past months of my leave, I bid you welcome to our humble home, and I caertainly hope you enjoy your stay here with Luthy and I. Feel free to ask me for a drink (I make excellent frozen coffees and smoothies!) and as long as you're an offical adoptee, it's on the house! :D
Galadriel_elanor
Ranger of the North

Postby AlexSnitzel » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:31 am

I'm not an official adoptee, so I assume I have to pay for my large mocha frapuccino? :P
AlexSnitzel
Ranger of the North

Postby luthienelflover » Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:06 am

Yes sir, you do. :nono:

Though actually, since you're me, and I don't have to pay, you may be able to get away with getting it free. :P
Alex :heart:
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby Maid of Lothlorien » Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:35 pm

Elf Maiden slips quietly into Lounge. Nods to all present. Hello. This place feels just like home. Would you adopt a rather green Noob?
I'm not sure if the green is from being a Noob, or just from my cape. It rained a little bit ago, and I think the color faded.(':roll:')
Rolling Eyes
(A distinctly green pattern covers arms and face.)
Maid of Lothlorien
Petitioner to the Council

PreviousNext

Return to Adoptions