Now known as Vana's adoption thread!

Need a hand learning the ropes? Come here and find an experienced poster to adopt you! Visit the First Stop thread for a list of all those currently involved in the mentoring process and their interests and areas.

Re: Now known as Vana's adoption thread!

Postby Euridice » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:44 am

Hi!
I'm new here but I'm not a newbie on a Lotrforum :) Been on one before.
But I think it would be great if someone adopted me just so I can find my way here and make a good start !

Greetings!
Euridice
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Calma » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:04 pm

Greetings, Euri!
I'm not an adopter nor am I Vana.
She is busy in Real Life these days
And can rarely make her way here.

If you want, you might want to move down to the "Bookworm Lounge" on this forum.
heliona is here frequently and is a very good adopter.

If all else fails, read the Terms of Service, located at the top of this page, so you can get an idea of how this place works.
Then start posting.
There are many here who will assist you with any questions.

Welcome!
Calma
Crazy Cat Lady

Location: Up the road, across the street, down the lane, and around the bend

Postby Vanaladiel » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:41 pm

Welcome Euridice!!! I would gladly accept you and help you with any questions about the boards. I am not here all the time but I am here often enough.

If you choose to go with someone else that is okay too, all of us are here to help you have the best experience here and make friends.

~Vana~
Image Spring come quickly!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Billobob » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:03 pm

Hello I'm a new user I just registered yesterday I would really like to get to know the ropes around here since it seems like a pretty large community.
Billobob
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:04 am

Welcome Billobob!!

I am most happy to help you with your questions and all.

Let's get to know you better. What are you interests? Do you have pets? What do you do for a living? Did you read the books before seeing the movies? What are your favorite hobbies?

I don't remember everything I wrote in the first post but I have a lovely white kitty named China, she loves me to pieces and I love her too. I am married to another TORCer that I met here, Guruthostirn. I have been reading the books since I was introduced to them by a reading teacher in the 7th grade. I still love to read them and I have all the movies and am anxiously awaiting the Extended version of the BOFA!

I am a mother and grandmother. Both my lovely grand kids are now teenagers.
I am an active member of the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) in the Pacific Northwest. I do archery! I work two part time jobs as a cashier. I live in the country and love it!
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Billobob » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:32 am

Sorry for not responding sooner. But here's some stuff about me:I enjoy reading (especially LOTR and the Hobbit), I occasionally ride my bike, I also occasionally play video games and when I do I usually play Super Smash Bros Brawl on my Wii (not Wii U), I love learning new things, I love telling others about new things, and I often write down stories or make my own secret codes or languages. my birthdate is June 20th. Well that was a mouthful. So that's a little about me.
Billobob
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:24 pm

It is good to meet you Billobob! I hope you have read the first post of my thread and that should give you all the information you can imagine on me. Though honestly I have not read it in a while to be sure it is still up to date.
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Loslanna » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:31 pm

I am totally new to all of this. I dont even really know where to start. Would someone be willing to help me out? :? :?

Loslanna
Loslanna

Postby Vanaladiel » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:31 pm

Of course I would love to help you out dear one.

We all started somewhere so don't feel like you need to fear anything or anyone here on the boards. We are all friends! We are all lovers of the works of the Professor and or the works of Peter Jackson!

So what can I help you with? The Talk forum is a good place to find a place to meet and introduce yourself to others who frequent these boards. The viewtopic.php?f=24&t=105850&start=1590 Hello Thread is a good one. Many of the people there are my friends and would love to have you join us there. The TVM is another one viewtopic.php?f=24&t=105850 Just click on the links and you are there.

Then it is a matter of finding things you are interested in such as in the Guilds forum where you can find topics of interest and join others who have the same interest as yourself.

There are forums for books, movies, both for LoTR and for others. There are places to talk politics or deeper subjects. Just look at the forums and see what you might wish to venture into and then read up on the thread as to what is going on before you post so that you know the history or the current topic.

You can also do Role Playing in the Green Dragon thread or many others there. I will warn you that in some threads they need folks to apply to join a storyline such as the Mithril Knights in the Prancing Pony forum.

I will be back to check on you tomorrow. Can you give me some information on yourself and your likes? Please if you are under 18 or do not wish to disclose your age, then do not tell me that part and be careful if you are under 18 on giving me specifics such as where you live. It is for your protection and one of the strict policies of this messageboard!

Welcome to the boards and if you have not read up on me, feel free to go to the first page of this forum and learn some stuff about me. I am a grandmother of two beautiful teenagers, an avid reader of fantasy/adventure books, I love role playing but am not in an active one at the moment, I work two jobs, met my current husband and soul mate here on the boards back in 2002. Been married now for 7 years, have a cat named China ( she is a rescue ). I love the SCA and have been active in it since January 2003. (Society of Creative Anachronism) We do the medieval camping and play, I am an archer and throw weapons. It's a lot of fun. Oh and my board name is my legal name as of February 2003.

So welcome and have fun!!! If you have any other things you need help with please post here again and I will check back! Mae Govannen, Melon!
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Billobob » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:32 am

I just have a quick question. How do you create a poll on a thread? Because I'm not sure how to do this.
Billobob
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:43 pm

When you choose to start a thread in a forum( post a new topic), one of the things you get to choose is if you wish to have a poll. It is usually one of the options you have when starting and thread. If that does not give you an option, then may have disabled that feature.

I hope that helps you Billabob! I hope you are enjoying your time with us here on the boards. :D

Vana
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Billobob » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:28 pm

Thanks for the advice. Also I have been having a good time time posting on TORC.
Billobob
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:47 pm

So very glad to hear that you are enjoying yourself with us. I know it is not as busy as it was back when I joined but we still have some terrific and awesome folks posting here.

Vana
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby *yona* » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:11 am

Hello Vana!!!
Oh, Lady of the Ever Young, what joy and wisdom you dispense to all who seek you out!

So glad to see you're still around the boards...

I have a question pertaining to just that... the aspect of being or not being around the boards currently; the Walking to Rivendell thread has ground to a sad halt because the mods are no longer around to keep everyone's names moved to their place in the route. ( viewtopic.php?f=24&t=95403 )

There aren't many others around either, though I've kept an eye on it, and stop in and leave a comment from time to time... and we recently just had a new join-ee!!! Yes!!

But how can we either
A) awake a sleeping mod from deep within the earth {short of actually mining for mithril, of course}
or B) call forth a new mod to take a firm hand on the helm and guide the little ship of Rivendell Walkers toward the bright and shining star that is... well... the fires of Mt. Doom, but let's not get too discouraged about that as a beacon light.

Any help, kind Flower of Springtime, would be wonderful!
Thanks!
Elizabeth
*yona*
Shield Bearer

Postby White Shadow » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:07 am

*yona* wrote: But how can we either
A) awake a sleeping mod from deep within the earth {short of actually mining for mithril, of course}
or B) call forth a new mod to take a firm hand on the helm and guide the little ship of Rivendell Walkers toward the bright and shining star that is... well... the fires of Mt. Doom, but let's not get too discouraged about that as a beacon light.

Any help, kind Flower of Springtime, would be wonderful!
Thanks!
Elizabeth

I am a Mod and am a regular poster. I have offered to help in that thread - please email me whatever you would like me to do.

~*~*~*~*~
White Shadow
White Council Moderator
White Shadow
Shield Bearer

Postby *yona* » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:42 am

Oh, wonderful!!! Thanks for coming forth, White Shadow!!!

I shall figure out my count and get with you on the Walking thread.
Thanks so much!!!
*yona*
Shield Bearer

Postby Vanaladiel » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:40 pm

Thank you for your compliments Yona! I so appreciate folks coming around and keeping in touch with me. I am glad to see that White Shadow showed up because I have no pull with getting mods to step up or forward on these types of matters. Many times you can go to "The One Ring" Admin forum and usually contact or get a rapid response from a Mod there.

Thank you White Shadow for popping in and checking on this for us. We so appreciate our moderators and the work they do here keeping things running. :D
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby *yona* » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:01 am

Yes! Couldn't get much done without the mods looking after things!!! :)
*yona*
Shield Bearer

Postby Vanaladiel » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:31 am

Isn't that the truth hon!
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby GolwenOfRivendell » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:43 pm

I'm new here and I'd like to know if I can be adopted?
GolwenOfRivendell

Postby Vanaladiel » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:32 am

Of course you can be adopted hon!!! I love having new family members.

Actually what I am here for is to make you feel welcome to the boards and help you learn the forums and how to fit in. So come in and ask all the questions you want and I will do my best to introduce you around and to how we do things here and where you might want to go.

First off can you tell me something about yourself, like what you enjoy doing, how you found Professor Tolkien's works and what you love about them? If you are under 18 do not tell me your age or where you live but if you just don't want to give too many specifics that is okay as well. But we would love to know what hobbies you have and what you are interested in. Do you have a job, pets, do you love books or the movies better? Give us a general run down on yourself, if you don't mind.
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Billobob » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:07 pm

I'm not sure if this thread is still active or if Vana is still maintaining this since I've been gone for awhile but Id just like to ask about whether or not it's possible to enter a user group, whether or not they still exist, and if so then how do I get one.
Billobob
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:16 pm

So, usergroups as something for the admins of the board to use, to sort out users and the permissions that they have. You will be in the usergroup for normal posters. The other groups are just to separate out those users who need more permissions, such as moderators, and a couple of other groups who have access to forums that normal posters don't for secret reasons (generally just organising things on the boards). You can only be invited to join another usergroup by a group leader, and it is unlikely to happen, as the few that included normal users haven't been used in a while.

Therefore, in answer to your question: yes, they still exist, it is possible to enter one, but you have to be invited, and there isn't a need for you to be in one (other than the main one which everyone is in). So don't worry about it.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby Billobob » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:14 pm

Thanks for the info. I guess I thought usergroups were sort of like the alliances forum except more exclusive. Yeah I don't really need to be a moderator or anything so I'll be content with being in this user group (A.K.A. S.H.I.E.L.D. clearance level one).
Billobob
Ranger of the North

Previous

Return to Adoptions