The Lost King of Clan O'Neira

This forum is for role-playing within settings that influenced Tolkien (non-Middle-earth). Acceptable styles include for Celtic, Norse, Kalevala, Arthurian, and Anglo-Saxon.

Postby Istariquendi » Mon Sep 02, 2002 7:25 pm

Flames. Portals to memories long lost they could be, enchanting the mind with their quick enticing dance. They clear the mists that cloud the path between present and past. Such a fire lay before Padraig O'Neira, reaching with those many arms to the vaults of his mind, unlocking the pains of the past that had been comfortably hidden for so long. He didn't have to deal with them there. Why now? He thought, trying to tear his gaze from the fire to fill his horn with ale. If he could just get some ale in his system, the pain would go away. Yet the flames held him better than any bondage could. He remained motionless where he sat, barely blinking his dark eyes that reflected a dim shadow of the fire, not even feeling a fly that explored the braids in his beard. He began to fall within himself, as most do when entranced. Darkness descended on his vision, not complete, but accompanied by pinpoints of light that shimmered milky white. Distanly, he heard a voice, deep yet as of now inauble. It lulled him, bringing him further to the recesses of his mind. He was now fully immersed in the past.<BR><BR>"I do not like this, my Lord." It said, the deep masculine voice rich with power. It was a voice known well by Padraig, one of a life-long friend. "There is a heaviness of the air that weighs upon my shoulders. Dark forebodings greet my dreams. I do not like the signs I am seeing. You should not go in the morning." Those words had echoed in his mind over and over again after it had happened. Yet years of long travel and the dulling of memory by ale had buried them in the depths of the past. Yet now they were given life once more, and Padraig screamed in his mind against the fatefull words that he would speak. Yet like that night those years ago, Padraig spake them once more.<BR><BR>"I have no choice, Cuchaill." He said to the short, heavyset Druid who stood next to him on the hill just outside the village, the stars shinning bright in the darkness of the night. It was a new moon that night, so he could only see the camp of Clan MacMorel by their fires glowing in the distance. They were close, too close to his mind. Yet they would not attack till morning. Without a moon, it would be hard to battle in a land that was strange to them, since it would too damn dark for them to see clearly. Yet there was a thrumming in the air, a tension made by the two opposing clans being in such close proximity. There was a bloodlust hot in their veins. Once the sun rose, battle would begin. "I must lead my warriors against the MacMorel army. I cannot be a coward. I am King, and I must fight among my people."<BR><BR>"Yet still, I do not like it. I feel something terrible in the future." Cuchaill said, the steady voice quaky and strained. There was great emotion behind the Druid's concern.<BR><BR>"I assure you, Cuchaill, I shall live to reign after tomorrow's battle, and the head of Mifall MacMorel shall be resting in my house." Cuchaill remained silent for a long while, the wind stirring his hair and beard. Finally he spoke,<BR><BR>"As you will, Padraig." He said. "Just come back to us." Padraig nodded before turning back to the village. He left the Druid, not knowing that it would be one of the last times he would see his dear friend. He walked past the guards, who saluted him as he passed. he then went to his house, where rested his wife. It would be his last night as King.<BR><BR>A hand brought him back to the present. And Padraig looked up to see his present hostess with a pitcher of ale in her strong hand. Her build showed her as a warrioress, able to wield a broadsword as well as any man. She had long braided hair of red-gold that reached past her shoulders. He held out his horn and thanked her as she poured in his much wanted ale. He gulped it down, relishing in it as it took its effect in his mind. It was then that he laughed at the painfull memories. He did not need a fire to know what happened next. He only needed to look at his left arm, where a hand used to be. The blemish that had been his downfall. He went to bed in his host's home in a bitter mood, thinking of where he would head in the morning. Sleep came slowly, yet it did so nonetheless.
Istariquendi
Ranger of the North

Postby Llinos » Tue Sep 03, 2002 2:10 pm

Llinos sighed, sitting under a bank deep in thought, contemplating her next move, it had been a wearisome day, a wearisome year for that matter. She had left her home town deep in the welsh Valley's long ago, moving about villages reading old welsh fables of Dragons and Myths of the ancient tounge, old lure she spoke of on her travels, many a soul rejected it and only few welcomed it, so it was she'd came upon the village Of Padriag.<BR><BR>A family had welcomed her and her tales, gladened by some new stories but soon their peace and delight was disturbed. By another thirst for a clan...for battle. Her Family had raised her well, and she kept loyal to the people who had shown her such kindness and fought hard beside them, killing many with her terrisome bow. Her strawberry blonde fire like hair, showing her welsh blood with her green eyes, and her arrows flew above the clouds, with each whisper she made as she proved the welsh's talent with a bent bow.<BR><BR>Now as dawn broke revealing the days sorrows to every eye, as the field was scattered with bodies, she knew not exactly what would happen..never had she been in such a situation, she did not want to leave her knew found friends but under the Clans new leadership she would not stay. She hovered lightly her feet bare and dirtied, a motteled green sack as a dress with a warm brown cloak draped across her fighting off the dew, her hair lose and wild with excitement she stood amoung the brambles, gazign out waiting in to see what would happen when the old King rose...
Llinos
Ranger of the North

Postby Liadan » Wed Sep 04, 2002 10:41 am

A silver gleam hung about in the sky. The stars intermingled with the last broken claws of twilight, it's grasp fading as the night took a complete and firm darkening grip on the cosmo's. <BR>Daron laid upon the cool green hill; a loft faery hill in the middle of a field. A ring of trees were set about the bottome. Their leaves sung to her songs of history, as the wind fed their tunes. Battles, wars, death's of fallen hero's, births of heros to be, King's and Erin's past were hummed quietly into her ears by the tall Eldar, the scared tree ofthe Gods.<BR>She lay on a soft bed of rushes and leaves. The weather was damp yet warm and a whitish covering could be see upon the fields around her. The wollen blanket that covered her body ruffled with the warm breeze, as she chanted softly to the sky,<BR><BR>"To the Lord and the Lady of the Night <BR>Guideth me in my sorrowful plight-<BR>Heareth my words and seeth all I do<BR>Help me gain the knowledge of the Earth<BR>I am thy daughter, thy loving child<BR>Sendeth my thy guidance - giveth me rebirth.<BR>I renew my vows to thee Dagda<BR>And I refill my cup of love to Danu<BR>Regaineth the knowledge of thy Erin<BR>The name of the land called by Eriu-"<BR><BR>Daron fell into a gentle dream, of things that were and things that may come. She began to dream about her dances with the Sidhe; The Gentle Little People, the children of the Tuatha De. Laughing and glowing they were as they bean to dance around the stone rings. Happiness and joy filled all of Erin and for once all forgot the Wars of the Kings, the clan leaders of Ireland. None knew of the fate that should come to Daron, even herself. She did not think however on this, for the Sidhe had swept her off into their own world of Erin, the Otherside.
Liadan
Ranger of the North

Postby Istariquendi » Wed Sep 04, 2002 4:27 pm

<i>What was that?</i> Padraig turned his head swiftly to catch the movememnt at the corner of his eye. Shadows seemed to dance about him, weaving through the trees about him and jumping through the boughs above, yet always he would miss them as he looked at the side of the worn path he was walking on. He didn't know exactly why he was here, or when he got on it, yet he knew he had to continue. <BR><BR>Sun streamed through an opening in the forest before him, dancing about his eyes and through his hair. Yet, he stared straight at it, and could not find the circle itself, just golden fiery light . He stopped, leaning a bit on his staff as the wind stirred the leaves of the trees and the blades of grass. It tugged at his cloak, making it billow before him. Something wasn't right. What was he doing here? Where was he going? Maybe... Suddenly, the cloak lifted from his arms, and upon his left was a hand! His eyes widened in surprise as he lifted his newfound hand closer to his face. He tested each finger, one at a time, bending them against his palm.<BR><BR>"Dost thou see now, Emrys?" Padraig's head shot up at the voice. It was a whisper, as thin and mysterious as the shadows that still milled about him. What was happening? How did these creatures know his old name? How did they know his secret name? Padraig balled his fist, holding it at his side.<BR><BR>"I see but an illusion!" He yelled to the trees. The shadows still moved about. Yet in a slower manner, so that he could discern a mannish shape.<BR><BR>"Ah, but how canst thou know? This is thy true self. Dost thou see now, Emrys? Thou art whole." Padraig became angered. What were these things that would torture him so? He lifted his staff, running through the forest, trying to escape whatever surrounded him.<BR><BR>"It is time..."<BR><BR>Padraig's eyes flipped open, wide and full of pain. He rose from his spot on the ground, unwrapping his dusty cloak from about him. Looking down, he saw the familiar stump upon his arm and sighed in disappointment. That dream, however cruel, had been so real! He got up and grasped his staff. Outside the sky was just beginning to lighten. Soon enough the sun would rise. His hosts had not awaken, so he expressed his thanks by leaving two silver coins upon the ground where he had risen. With his staff in his hand he left the house, asking for a blessing to be placed upon the house and drawing a symbol of bounty at the door's foot with the bottom of his staff. With a deep breath, he made his way to the outside the village's palisade.
Istariquendi
Ranger of the North

Postby Liadan » Wed Sep 04, 2002 6:15 pm

Daron awakened softly from her sleep as the sun was rising. She looked up to the pink and orange sky with a slight smile. Itching her arm she laughed to herself, "I knew I should not have slept in this bewitched Faery Ring." The Eldars rustled their large branches in response and Daron laughed louder and more merrily. <BR><BR>Soon after she put on her long black dress and a heavy black cloak over her, the morning was cold and brisk. She slung her sword about her waist, packed her wollen shoulder bag and carried out into the lands.<BR><BR>"I wonder what awaits this path of thine?" she asked to the world more than to herself. She walked through a large field with about 30 or so bails she could figure. She breathed deeply in the morning dew that was melting and drying by the warming sun. Adjusting her bag she thought of all that she was taught, the morning winds begin to change. Daron breathed in deeply one more time and she choked on the air that hung ruthlessly in her mouth and throat. <BR><BR>"Something draws near... or someone, I can not tell though." She said quietly as a bad feeling began to grow within the pit of her stomach. <BR>Daron seated herself down in a small cleft of two roots and let her back fall to the trunk of the tall tree. She sat with her hands on her legs and her back straight. She let her eyes fall gradually shut as she slipped into a trance of meditation...<BR><BR>Daron began to feel herself swirl around, almost out and away from her body... as if she was falling away from the Earth, though up towards the sky. She was falling faster and faster, her breath struggled out from her mouth and the air was fleeing as fast as it could to her lungs. Her heart raced from her bosom almost visbly beating through her clothes. Her ears were drumming with the sounds of Mother Nature... the Goddess was calling to her. Through her streams, her forests, her fields, stones, air, fire... everything was speaking to Daron at once. <BR><BR>Her eyes began to water from the speed she was going struggle to keep grasp she opened her eyes. She caught one final image before she fell back down, a silver hand. And then almost faster than before she fell towards the ground. Her physical body was thrown away from the tree and her face hit the ground. Slowly she lifted her head from the grass. Her lip was bleeding and her chest heavy with air, then with a voice unlike her own, a strong and magical wonder, not a voice but a song not with words it spoke however she knew what it said, "The King has returned..."
Liadan
Ranger of the North

Postby Llinos » Sat Sep 07, 2002 4:43 am

Llinos woke with a start out of dream almost horrific as the previous days events, filled with creatures of fantasy and dragons and goblins. Her mind always dwelt on what most people claimed to be fantasy, but she believed it, in the magic world, the world others were forbidden to believe in. That was the reason she'd left her home village, though her parents must have loved her the turned her away, saying she was filled with witch craft and sorcery. Though Llinos knew it was the Princes mind who had corrupted her family and turned them against her.<BR><BR>Snapping out of her memories, remembering the cruel hand that turned her out, sh erealized morning had broken sweet and high, the world was alive once again, and a figure strode along the lane, it was Padraig. Part of her told her to leap up and run to his aid, she was sure he was still quite shocked about hte happenings losing his clan and such. But before she moved she noticed he seemed to be talking to the bushes. Turning her gaze trying to catch who he was speakign with she saw no one and so stayed silent.<BR><BR>She watched intently absorbed with what was happening. She felt bad for eavesdropping but knew there was nothing much she could do about it now unless she clogged up her ears. Confused by the talk she lost all train of thought and slipped from her perch on a damp log, there was a little crash and a squeal then silence again as she lay face full of mud hoping the old King hadn't noticed but doubting she'd get away with it now...
Llinos
Ranger of the North

Postby Istariquendi » Sat Sep 07, 2002 2:24 pm

Padraig stood for a moment, reciting verses from a poem he had begun to make up, testing the words with his voice. He didn't know why he had decided to do so now. He really needed to get going. Yet he thought he should change a line to this and that, and didn't want to forget it...<BR><BR>A sudden crash brought him out of his daze and he straightened, placing his staff before him as he turned slowly. Could it be some haggard with a knife? He kept his stup of a hand hidden within the folds of his cloak. It would do no good to show a sign that Padraig was less able to defend himself than any other man of his size. Granted, he could hold his own against most men, yet this morning had left him at an ill mood for fighting. He sighed with relief as he saw a girl upon the ground, trying to lift herself up and gather her dignity. What little she had, Padraig said to himself as he saw the clothing she wore. She was a dirty thing, a dress that looked like a sack upon her and not even shoes to cover feet blackened with dirt and the gods knew what else! At least she had a fairly good cloak... Suddenly, Padraig stopped. He had seen this girl before, her features were familiar. That face... he could not place where he had known her... Probably some village girl, wanting to catch sight of the traveller before he left. He shook his head and walked over, fighting the feeling of deja vu that stole over him.<BR><BR>"Are you all right?" He asked politely.
Istariquendi
Ranger of the North

Postby Liadan » Sat Sep 07, 2002 4:18 pm

The High Priestess picked herself up and spite out the blood from her mouth on to the ground below her. Looking all around her for something or a sign that someone had been near her yet nothing appeared different. However a faint whispering and flickering of a tongue made her look down towards her feet. Something long, smooth and travelling with ease yet purpose slithered about her feet, a snake. Daron whiped her mouth again and picked up the snake. At once she knew what it meant, <BR><BR>"The snake that travels down the road, <BR>do not be so afraid, <BR>the symbol of the God and Goddess<BR>brings wisdom and knowledge to be paid. <BR>Immortality looks through those silt like eyes, <BR>yet heed his every word, <BR>for prophecy too doth this snake bring,<BR>My child, a lesson to be learned."<BR><BR>The snake dropped from her hands and dissapeared in the grass around her. Daron bowed as the long snake slithered out of sight. She breathed in deeply, sleepiness had awakened in her, she chuckled before putting her sack upon her shoulder once again. She looked up to the Eldar that stood before her, "Now now, ye conniving Sidhe. No more games shall I play with thee. Do not use yer magic on me, I have work to do for the Goddess,' and then with a smile as she turned her back and began to walk from the tree she said, "unlike some of her children." Daron heard the tree shake furiously after her but she merely laughed and half walked half skipped towards the road.<BR> <BR>"But scarce to the shore the prize could bring,<BR>When by some blasting ban-<BR>Ah! piteous tale- the Fenian King<BR>Grew a withered, grey old man.<BR><BR>Of Cumhal's son then Cavolte sought<BR>What wizard Danann foe had wrought<BR>Such piteous change, and Finn replied-<BR>'Twas Guillin's daughter-me she bound<BR>By scared spell to search the tide<BR>Till the ring she lost was found.<BR><BR>Search and find her. She gave him a cup-<BR>Feeble he drinks- the potion speeds<BR>Through every joint and pore;<BR>To palsied age fresh youth succeeds-<BR>Finn, of the swift and slender steeds,<BR>Becomes himself once more."<BR><BR>Daron sung merrily as she came to the road. Stopping at the hedge she pondered which way to go. "Left I see would bring me where? and Right I ask this question too? Where in Erin, a land so fair? Tell me Wind what am I to do?" she spoke. A smooth breeze east whipped across her face. "Ah ha! Right, is the path that I must tread! I thank thee wind!" Daron began her journey.
Liadan
Ranger of the North

Postby Llinos » Mon Sep 09, 2002 12:14 pm

Llinos was suddenly very aware of her appearence, maybe the rags had been somewhat cleaner before she'd fallen down the bank but it was true that they'd kicked her out of the village in nothing but a sack an old friend had given her the cloak atleast. She scraped the remenants of what was most likely a mole hill off of her and scrambeled to her feet. Wondering what on earth to say, knowing in this situation nothing she could say would make it any worse, she decided to go for it and a strong welsh acient she smiled and spoke.<BR><BR>"Um i'm fine i just slipped there i guess. I was stayign in your clan you see, and well now it's not yours anymore i was just wonderign where you'd be off too?"<BR><BR>She didn't mention she had no where to go now, and the fact that this had been the first clan she'd ever been welcomed into. It was funny how stories traveled, and it never ceased to amaze her how people seemed to know who she was or rather who her Father was. Atleast this deep into Ireland the stories didn't travel. The bards never came this far she thought with a hint of delight. Hoping she had finally escaped her shadow of guilt. Not that im guilty she thought ruefully I'm proud of who i am i just wish people wouldn't believe everything they heard. The bards stories had lengthened to say that the daughter of Owain Glyn Dwr's Squire was a witch and wanted to turn the world into gold or something along those lines.<BR><BR>Llinos realised she'd been a long time gazing into the middle of now where, and rousing these bitter memories caused her to clench her fists in anger, she noticed them goin white and quickly released her fingers, and straightend and angry brow...
Llinos
Ranger of the North

Postby Istariquendi » Tue Sep 10, 2002 5:07 pm

She was in the clan? Padraig's eyes widened involuntarily as she spoke. Who was this strange girl? And why was she so interested in his travels? He also wondered-if she spoke truth- who in his clan would subject her to wear a sack for a dress... His thoughts were interrupted as he noticed a spell of anger overcome her. He held upon his staff tightly in his right hand, making an effort to keep his left hidden.<BR><BR>"I travel where the winds take me, wherever that be in Erin..." He said the latter half to himself, drifting in one his dangerous wanderings of the mind. He shook his head, looking upon the girl as she still stood, trying to keep her composure in front of the man before her. It was hard to regain respect after recieving a face full of mud, especially in her attire....<BR><BR>A chill wind weaved through his hair, sending shivers down his spine. The evidence of winter's coming was evident in the icy north breezes. This girl had a fairly good cloak yes, but in a dress like that... it was unlikely that she would survive the harsh months ahead. He rested his staff on his shoulder, using his only hand to sift through his pack. Within was a good coat and a pair of breeches. They woldn't fit her properly, but it was good enough.<BR><BR>"Come here, girl." He said with a gesture. "I will not see one of my clan in such clothing."
Istariquendi
Ranger of the North

Postby Llinos » Wed Sep 11, 2002 8:11 am

Llinos startled from her thoughts seeing the old King was offereing her some clothes, she eyed them suspiciously, yes she had been welcomed enough to stay in the clan and work for some food, but most assumed the way she dressed was something to do with her rather odd welsh past and decided to ignore it. Despite her wariness, she knew it would do well to except the clothes, as she knew too well a sack never turned away the winter winds, it would not have been her first sacked winter if she hadn't come along this clan.<BR><BR>"Thankyou, it is most kind of you"<BR><BR>she mumbeled quietly still a part of her was waiting for a catch. She nimbly slipped into the forest again and pulled on the breeches and warm coat under her cloak. She looked at the over sized breeches and smiled, atleast this ment he belt would be handy she thought. Her belt was her most prized item, it was leather with a buckle of silver shaped like a dragon. It had been her Fathers. She had kept it hidden under folds of sack before but as she did it up now with pride, it gleamed in the sunlight sparkling in delight.<BR><BR>She scurried back out a smile upon her face, it was a grand thing to wear proper clothes once again she thought slightly pathetically..<BR><BR>"Thank you so much for the clothes again...."she went silent there was somethign she wished to ask but didn't want to sound impertinent...a battle in her mind eventually told her to do it, she had nothing to lose after all. "If it was no bother to you. Would you mind if i joined you on your travels. I'm afraid i'm not exactly welcome here anymore.."<BR><BR>It was true the new King hadn't taken kindly to the welsh girl, he had immeadiatly cast her out. And she knew too well that it was no easy task trying to find a clan that would except someone like her. But she didn't tell him that, she didn't want to sound to desperate and lose all her self esteem.<BR><BR>Llinos was so used to rejection while she awaited his answer she began planning where she would go from here. Maybe try another side of Ireland? If not she could always venture to Scotland, though she doubted she'd make it there alive...She knew where she truly longed to be...home..in Wales.<BR>
Llinos
Ranger of the North

Postby Damhnait » Tue Sep 17, 2002 12:51 pm

Tripping over a root which lay half-hidden in the moss, Damhnait moaned softly to herself. Her bare feet and legs stung from their encounter with the patch of nettles, and she had a long scratch on one arm from a wild rose bush. When would she ever get used to this fragile human body? She sighed audibly, remembering a time when she would have fled swiftly through such obstacles, never even giving them a second thought. But now . . .<BR><BR>Well, no use dwelling on the past. At the moment, the immediate future was much more of a concern. Like, where she was going, when might she expect to eat again, and how much distance she had put between herself and Aodh. Aodh! Aodh! How she hated the sound of that name! It burned her ears and sent pains through her head if she even thought of it! More of that evil, evil druid's magic she supposed. If he could not lay his hands on her, then at least he could continue to torment her from afar!<BR><BR>But how far, exactly? When she had slipped away from her father-in-law's fortified stronghold several weeks ago, she had barely had time to throw a cloak over her shoulders. But the news of Cael's, her husband's, death, had thrown her into a state of panic. Now nothing, and no-one would stand between her and the druid Aodh's wicked schemes. She hoped that she had oursmarted him, At least enough to get a good head start. After all, he had been hundreds of miles away, with Cael and the others, of course! She knew who was responsible for her beloved's death. His murder, she should say!<BR><BR>Wearliy, she walked on, her belly growling with hunger. If only she could eat grass again! The tender shoots of the willows that she passed made her mouth water with tastes long gone.Well, there was nothing for it but to keep moving on. Perhaps there would be a village soon where she could beg a crust of bread.<BR><BR>As she made her way down a small dell and up the other side, she fancied she heard singing. The sound grew steadily stronger, and she caught a word or two here and there. Something about Finn and his swift steed? For a moment, the singer stopped. Damhnait continued her climb, and at the top of the low hill,she looked down. There at her feet stretched a road,wandering across the green meadows and hills, curving its way to the horizons. And there also she spied the singer. At least, she thought it must be the one, as there was no-one else in sight. <BR><BR>Hesitating, she pondered whether or not to try to attract the young woman's attention.There was no way to know if she was friendly or not. But at worst, Damhnait might expect a curse and a thrown stone or two.It wouldn't be the first time she had received such a reception from the strangers she had met on the road. But, this woman had a look of cheerfulness about her. Damhnait's stomach gave one incredibly loud growl and that settled the matter.<BR><BR>"Hail, friend! I heard your singing and came to see who walked forth on such a beautiful morning with such a song in their heart! I'm travelling, and . . . have lost my way, a bit. Do you know, is there a village near-by?"
Damhnait
Citizen of Imladris

Return to Role Playing: The Green Dragon Inn (Tolkien-Influenced Fantasy)