Draig Goch

This forum is for role-playing within settings that influenced Tolkien (non-Middle-earth). Acceptable styles include for Celtic, Norse, Kalevala, Arthurian, and Anglo-Saxon.

Postby Llinos » Sun Sep 22, 2002 6:55 am

Deep in the Valley's hidden amoung the tremendous, dominating mountains of the Gogledd, in the heart of Wales, there rises the call of the dragons, their soulful cry as they await the arrival of the one they now will complete them...their rider. Grown and ready of ranging colors, dragons of different sizes, different personalitys all wait for the only person that they can make into dragon riders.<BR><BR>The great gaurds stand tall on the pinnicles of this great Valley watching all those that dare enter, not everyone will find a dragon here, only the truest who seak will find.<BR><BR>But high on the mountain of Draig stands the most magnificent sight, the great red dragon, a beast of red fire, with a rider beside her standing proud, the only red that hhis ridden the ruler of the vale, Llinos and her Caerwyn.<BR><BR>Those who enter now will find that a dragon will be drawn to them nameless and lost until the two are together. But still they wait for the riders to come...
Llinos
Ranger of the North

Postby Eyriel » Fri Oct 04, 2002 10:30 pm

&#65279;It was unusually chilly for late Summer. Early morning mist lingered over the treetops and open fields of the deep valley, and a cool mist clung to the grass. The sky was dull and overcast, and beneath the sheltering canopy of leaves the earth was moist and sleepy. <BR><BR>The gloomy silence was broken by the erratic footsteps of a weary wanderer. A young woman, no more than sixteen years of age, stumbled through the forest underbrush, her bare, sore feet bruised and bleeding. This valley was strange to Aderyn, and the morning air carried to her ears a silent melody that was mysterious, mythical and almost secretive, yet at the same time strangely familiar and homelike.<BR><BR>Suddenly and seemingly out of nowhere there came to her mind a memory from long ago. It was of a moment that had been repeated often in her childhood: Aderyn laying in bed with her mother sitting nearby, hovering protectively and lovingly. “Tell me a story,” Aderyn would beg. “Something from the old days. About the draig.” Every time it was the same. Her mother would pause and gaze off into the distance, as if recalling her own sweet memories from years long past. Then she would smile, and tell her daughter a story that neither of them ever tired of. It was the story of the Ty Draigs - Dragon Houses, and the Ffridau Draig, the Dragon Friends who found their way to those sacred dwellings hidden deep in the secluded valleys of the Celtic homeland. <BR><BR>“Only the wisest of our people may find the Ty Draigs, for only the wisest have the purity and strength of heart that allows them to believe in the draig. These are the ones that the dragons wait for; the ones that will become their riders and make their existence complete. <BR><BR>“Yet few remain in the world with the wisdom and strength of heart to become one of the Ffridau Draig. But those who do are the wisest, with more strength and purity of heart than any of their ancestors. These are the ones that the draig would choose; the ones that may make their way to the valley hidden from all people - the Ty Draig.” .<BR><BR>Now, in the gloomy mist of that morning, Aderyn was reminded of that story her mother had shared with hope time after time until her sudden death only weeks earlier. Her death had forced Aderyn to leave the village she had considered home for as long as she could remember. Now she had no one and nothing, save for a handful of sweet memories and a feeling that this valley was somehow speaking to her, as if the trees and the earth beneath her feet and the very air itself<BR>were all somehow glad and more complete because of her presence. <BR><BR>Yet she also had an unsettling feeling that something more than the earth had acknowledged her presence in this ancient place. What it was she could not tell, but the sense of being watched put her on edge despite her fatigue from days of aimless walking.<BR><BR>There was a sudden rustling in the trees overhead that did not match the hardly noticeable breeze that moved through the chilled air. Aderyn’s head shot upwards, and out of the corner of her eye she caught a flash of color that seemed to be coming closer.
Eyriel
Ranger of the North

Postby Llinos » Sat Oct 05, 2002 5:35 am

Caerwyn lifted her great red head and gazed out, suddenly pulling herself to her feet, gently for Llinos was in deep sleep upon her back, she whispered to her softly. something was happening.<BR><BR><i>Llinos...Llinos wake up....one of the golds has lifted he's gone to the gate, another rider has arrived!</i><BR><BR>At this Llinos leapt to her feet, her mind racing, another rider! What joy! Long now had she lived alone in the Valley there was little point to leading a Ty, riding the master red dragon and having no one around to share it with.<BR><BR>"Is it the Master gold?" Llinos sat rigid awaiting Caerwyn's answer, the master gold was the greatest dragon of the valley next to Caerwyn. He was stronger and mightier than any other.<BR><BR><i>No..tis a young one, he's gone for his rider and girl a year younger than you he tells me</i><BR><BR>"Caerwyn you know full well i can here what he says!" Llinso grinned one of her gifts was beign able to hear and communicate with all dragons not just her own, other riders could only hear and speak with their own dragon. Their dragons could talk to other dragons though but their riders could not. Llinos sighed it wasn't the mighty gold but a gold rider was something special anyway!<BR><BR>"C'mon Caerwyn fly down to them, i want to meet her!"<BR><BR>Caerwyn lifted her great red wings, silencing the uproar in the Ty, the great shadow of her body covered away the light as she glided down to the Valley gates where the gold could be seen grumbling softly.<BR><BR>Before the great gold one was a girl, Caerwyn was right she was but a year younger than her, and she looked somewhat shocked that this great gold draig was fussing over her so.<BR><BR>"Greetings! it seems you have found your way to the Draig. Congratulations for this gold here he has choosen you as his rider and his friend. All you must do now is name him and together you will be forever. I am Llinos by the way and this is Caerwyn" Caerwyn growled in greeting watching the gold prance about his rider filled with joy, for their bond was already great.
Llinos
Ranger of the North

Postby Eyriel » Sat Oct 05, 2002 10:03 am

&#65279;It did not take long for Aderyn to identify the majestic being descending upon her. Indeed, it took no time at all. As soon as the creature was close enough for her to see the smooth motion of<BR>its wide scaled wings and the gentle sweeping of its long tail, Aderyn knew that she was in the presence of a dragon. <BR><BR>The clouds parted just enough for a single beam of sunlight to penetrate the thick blanket of trees. The light danced across the bright gold scales of the dragon, reflecting back into the air and forming a sort of halo around the creature’s nimble body.<BR><BR>The dragon’s eyes were dark, ageless, and deep as the ocean, and penetrated Aderyn’s soul with a wisdom and gentleness that unnerved her and left her breathless. She felt naked, laid bare, and so small compared to the majestic golden dragon standing before her. It was strange, but Aderyn felt as if she had known this dragon all her life, or as if she had suddenly discovered a long-lost part of her that she didn’t even know was missing. And somehow she knew that the dragon felt the same way about her. <BR><BR><i>You’ve come at last.</i><BR><BR>Aderyn jumped. The dragon had spoken to her, had spoken directly to her mind. She wasn’t even sure if he had used real words, for the message had appeared suddenly, almost as if it was her own thought. But this voice was deep and musical, and reverberated through her entire body with a force that surprised her.<BR><BR><i>I have waited so long. </i><BR><BR>The dragon’s voice was full of joy, and he moved around her excitedly. Aderyn was speechless. Had she really found her way to the Ty Draig? Had this gold dragon - one of the greatest, the highest ranking, and excellent in battle - really selected her, a half-Briton, sixteen-year-old outcast, to be his rider and eternal friend? <BR><BR>But Aderyn did not know how to voice her amazement and wonder, and did not have the chance, for suddenly there appeared from above another dragon. This one was larger, and its body was a deep fiery red that seemed almost to burn and glow like an eternal flame. It was a female, a red dragon, the most rare and majestic. And Aderyn knew immediately that this was the master female; highest ranking in the Ty Draig and above all other dragons. <BR><BR>The dragon landed softly next to the smaller gold one, and the two creatures looked at each other. They seemed to communicate without words, and Aderyn knew they shared a deep bond no human could understand. Suddenly a young woman slid off the red dragon’s back and<BR>stepped forward, smiling broadly. She seemed no more than a year or so older than Aderyn, but had a wisdom and gentleness about her that Aderyn admired. <BR><BR>"Greetings! it seems you have found your way to the Draig. Congratulations for this gold here he has choosen you as his rider and his friend. All you must do now is name him and together you will be forever. I am Llinos by the way and this is Caerwyn." <BR><BR>Aderyn finally found her voice. “My name is Aderyn. Thank you for welcoming me. I can hardly believe this is real...” She knew she must sound silly, but she didn’t know what else to say. She turned back to the gold dragon, who was smiling at her, if indeed it were possible for a dragon to smile. Aderyn found herself smiling back. “I will name you Rian Lugh (<i>pronounced REE-an Loo)</i>, for you are like a king of the light, like the sun god.” <BR><BR>The dragon emitted a growl that resembled a deep laugh. <i>I am no god; nor even the highest ranking of my kind. But I thank you for the name. I accept it gladly. </i><BR><BR>Aderyn smiled, and for a moment she was lost in her own world of joy. Then suddenly she jumped back to earth and turned to Llinos. “But why me?” she asked. “Why should I be allowed into the Ty Draig, to be chosen as a Ffridau Draig?”
Eyriel
Ranger of the North

Postby Llinos » Sun Oct 06, 2002 5:57 am

Llinos smiled watching the two become aquainted, she had never seen it before, in past years there had been a shortage in ffrindiau for the Draigs, Llinso had been leading the empty Valley for a year now though it felt like a lifetime, and alone she had stood proudly yet lonesome now, another had come. She was no longer alone.<BR><BR> <i>it is no good thinking all will be fine now you have a friend. you know the draigs are failing, you know what we need</i><BR><BR>And Llinos did. The great Master gold was aging. It was known a Draig only had so long to live before he found his rider, together with their riders the dragons can live for all eternity as can the riders unless they are killed in battle but seperated, the dragon has but 20 short years of life before he dies without ever meeting the one his heart belonged to. And the Master Gold was aging. If he died there would be no hatchings. If there were no hatchings the dragons would become extinct.<BR><BR><i>Rian Lugh likes his name, and he likes Aderyn. He his most happy to have found her, he would not say for he his modest but she makes him feel like a sun god.</i><BR><BR>Llinos smiled at the thought, she had named her own Red Caerwyn which ment fort of peace, becaus e hte satisfaction and wholeness she saw in her great dark eyes filled her with an inner peace, and the great red had a heart of gold, a peacefull nature that followed her.<BR><BR>"Why you? That is a question you must ask yourself, for truly you have always known what your years woudl offer you. If you think about it hard enough the two of you have alway been together. But now you are complete. Come! Come into the Ty! you must see the other dragons for they gleam now in this morning light and we will eat deep in happiness that the you have found your soul!"
Llinos
Ranger of the North

Postby Tobias_Red-tail » Sun Oct 06, 2002 8:03 am

Creeping swiftly into a nearby building made fully of marble, a small figure crept up the twining ivy, feeling it brush against her skin like a cat. The ivy twined itself tightly around her arm, and she whispered to it. The ivy released its grip, and she continued her climb. Finding herself outside the room which she wanted to be in, she flung herself over the ledge, landing hard on the floor. Shrugging it off, she prowled around the room, poking around for what she was searching for. After a while of poking corners here and there, an accidental push from her arm caused a container to drop over. Wincing as it hit the floor, she was astounded to see what she had been searching for lying on the floor. Reaching out a cautious hand, she swept it up, and proceeded to make her journey down. The moment she reached the window, the door flew open, revealing the faces of three half asleep guards. Her eyes flew open, and she flung herself out of the window, bracing herself for the fall to come. Fortunately, the sweeping branches of a tree half broke her fall, and she hit the ground with a thud. She would wake up tomorrow with bruises and aches all over, if she survived that long. Picking herself up, and slightly aware of bones crunching, and a dull ache beginning to form in her limbs, she jumped up and clambered over the wall, jumping again, and beginning to be seriously dazed with all the ups and downs. Whatever it was, now she was in the full view of everyone. She yelled something, and another urchin appeared, and she tossed the thing she had stolen to him. He caught it with a practiced grace, and disappeared. Now she was safe from all possible implications on the theft of the ruby.<BR><BR>The girl ran, mouth wide open, gasping to draw in the fog-laden air. Her broken shoes slapped over the worn dirt road in the town. Behind her, the heavy, well-shod feet of her pursuers pounded, drawing closer all the time. She staggered, forcing herself to keep going, stumbling through pools of yellow tavern lights, on into the milky, muffling darkness. Cold sweat streamed down into her eyes as she forced her leaden legs onwards. As she forced her body on, she forced a harsh laugh. Having to steal to keep yourself alive, and being caught this time, and face either hanging or having her hands chopped off, even though there had nothing to implicate her. Usually she would not be caught, but times could change. The girl ran out of the city’s gates with the resounding clatter of her pursuers close behind her. She allowed her daggers to slide into her hands, and waited for them. She had reached a dead end, and that was never good.<BR><BR>The girl stood facing her pursuers, she was trapped, with no place to run, her back to a cliff. Her three pursuers closed in around her, where their victim stood gasping for air and trembling in the fogbound night. Reaching out, the tallest of the trio grabbed the girl’s shirtfront. With a muffled curse, the girl sank a dagger which she held into her captor’s hand. He roared in pain, releasing his quarry and instinctively lashing out with his good hand. He cuffed the girl a heavy blow to her jaw. Stunned, the girl reeled backwards, missed her footing, and fell into the mist shrouded depths of the abyss. Kneeling on the edge, the three stared into the dim depths. Nothing happened. Fear registered on the brutish face of the one who had done the deed, but he recovered his composure quickly, warning the other two.<BR>"We could not find her, nobody will know. She had no relatives in the world. What’s another streetrat more or less? Come on! She will never reappear. This is the feared Valley of the dragons. Creatures of bedtime stories. People who enter never leave. Never."<BR>Checking to see that they had not been noticed in the dark and fog, the trio scurried off back to where they came from.<BR><BR>As she fell, she instinctively lashed out with a hand to look for a handhold. However, the cliff face was all smooth, and her dagger was too far from the edge to dig its blade in. Suddenly, she felt something rise beneath her. Something scaly. Very scaly. And very hard.<BR>"What the-?" she yelled. <BR>
Tobias_Red-tail
Ranger of the North

Postby Llinos » Sun Oct 06, 2002 1:16 pm

As Llinos stood talkign with Aderyn she became aware of another disturbance, something spoke to her from far away...<BR><BR> <i>It's a green. She left a while ago. She didn't want you to know cos shes gone quite far away. but she felt her rider, she felt she was hurt.</i><BR><BR>"Another in one day?! Excuse me Aderyn another dragon has found it's rider, i must go and find the green for she has drifted far Away, Rian Lugh will show you around I'm sure"<BR><BR>She nodded to them and swiftly mounted Caerwyn, the magnifcant read spread out her great wings and leapt into the sky gliding forward across the great exspanse of the air above, until to Llinos' surprise they saw the green coming towards them bearing a slightly shocked looking rider. They were to far to yell to, so Llinos sent a message to the green dragon for her to tell her rider. She didn't like to tell other riders that she could speak with any dragon for she knew it lessend the uniqueness they felt at having a dragon pick them. But the gift came in handy sometimes.<BR><BR> <i>Green tell your rider everything will be ok, she must hold tight now and relax, then follow me and caerwyn</i><BR><BR>With that Cearwyn did a great loop and took off back towards the Ty with the gree in hot pursuit.
Llinos
Ranger of the North

Postby Tobias_Red-tail » Sun Oct 06, 2002 7:31 pm

Alayna screamed shrilly as the dragon spoke in her mind.<BR>"Am I insane? I am hearing something telling me to hold on tight, which is so difficult after I have been saved from an almost certain death by a dragon, A DRAGON?! Sorry for being so sceptical, but I mean, what is going on?! All right, I'll hold on, but you'll have to slow down!" She ended in a tirade of oaths and curses, but held on for dear life to the dragon beneath her. Gathering her composure, she tried not to look down at the height which she was now at. Looking into the eyes of the green dragon which she was on, she felt somewhat calmed, with the knowledge that the green beast beneath her knew what it was doing. <BR><BR>As politely as she could, she asked the dragon beneath her.<BR>"Pardon me ma'am, or sir, but may I ask why I have been 'chosen'?" She had learned the art of politeness from her years on the streets, where one wrong word might end up with her dead.<BR>"I'm a female, and I do not know why you have been chosen."<BR>"Your name?"<BR>"That's your choice, for my true one would be too long for you to pronounce."<BR>"All right. Let's see...I have never been good at choosing names. Might we try Dezra? And if you need a name to call me by, well, Ivy is the best one, I guess, since I have a strange affiliation for plants. I dunno, I just feel that they are just attracted to me somehow. Not very nice, especially if you are thieving."<BR>"You're a thief then?" The dragon's voice was amused,<BR>"Yeah, I guess I am. Though not a very good one."<BR>"Hmmm. There's the leader of the valley there. Her name's Llinos, and the beautiful red beast under her is Caerwyn."<BR>"Ah. Figures that the leader would have a pretty beast. Wouldn't do to have her riding a small one like you would it?" she replied, her tone teasing.<BR>"I suppose so."<BR>"You know what? I think I'm gonna like you."<BR>"You should. We're bonded together for quite a while now, until either you or I die."<BR>"Well that's reassuring."<BR>
Tobias_Red-tail
Ranger of the North

Postby Eyriel » Sun Oct 06, 2002 7:41 pm

"Why you? That is a question you must ask yourself, for truly you have always known what your years woudl offer you. If you think about it hard enough the two of you have alway been together. But now you are complete. Come! Come into the Ty! you must see the other dragons for they gleam now in this morning light and we will eat deep in happiness that the you have found your soul!" <BR><BR>Aderyn’s brow furrowed as she considered Llinos’s words. For some reason she thought of her mother, and of her father. Why he had come to her mind she did not know, but the faint memory of him was painful and she quickly blocked both of her parents out of her mind. <BR><BR>The thought of entering the Ty and having something to eat excited Aderyn, as did the thought of seeing the other dragons. She turned to Llinos to say something, but a sudden change had come over the young woman’s warm face, and she now looked slightly disconcerted and surprised. After a moment in which Aderyn assumed Caerwyn was communicating with her rider, Llinos explained that another rider had entered the valley and been found by her dragon. Before Aderyn had a chance to respond, Llinos was on the back of her dragon and gone in the sky with a quick flap of ruby wings that hardly raised any dust.<BR><BR><i>Two new riders in one morning,</i> said Rian Lugh. <i>It will be an exciting day in the Ty Draig. </i><BR><BR>Aderyn nodded, but said nothing.<BR><BR><i>Come, ride on my back and I will take you into the Ty. The other dragons will be eager to meet you, for there has not been a new rider in the Valley for decades. </i><BR><BR>Aderyn smiled broadly and pulled herself up between the strong, shimmering wings of Rian Lugh, who was just the right height for her. After making sure his rider was comfortable, the Draig spread his great wings and lifted off into the air, gliding through the canopy of branches and bursting into the early morning sunlight. Aderyn hugged Rian Lugh’s smooth neck tightly, frightened at first from being so high off the ground. But the steady rhythm of the dragon’s beating wings and the cool wind blowing through her long, wavy black hair gave her confidence, and soon she was enjoying her first flight with a wonder and excitement she’d never before experienced or thought possible. She felt as if she were one with the dragon, as if she herself were beating the strong wings that kept them both afloat above the trees. <BR><BR><i>Look ahead. See that rocky clearing among over there, near the top of that rise? </i><BR><BR>Aderyn strained her neck and peered forward. “Yes, I see it. Is that where we are heading?”<BR><BR><i>Yes. That is where the gold and the red dragons dwell together, in the caves that run deep under the valley’s floor. Here is where you will meet the other dragons, and have your first meal as one of the Ffridau Draig. </i><BR><BR>Rian Lugh lowered himself smoothly to the ground, and Aderyn slid off his back. In front of them was the large gaping entrance to a deep cave. Near the entrance on a large boulder sat another dragon, a red one - not as large or as regal as Caerwyn, but impressive nonetheless. Rian Lugh approached this dragon, and the two exchanged some unspoken words. The red looked at Aderyn. Her eyes were bright and knowledgeable, and Aderyn knew this dragon could see more of her than was visible to most. <BR><BR>Suddenly both dragons turned their attention back to the sky. Aderyn followed their gaze. Off in the distance she could barely make out the shape of a red dragon and her rider gliding effortlessly through the sky. Behind them followed a smaller dragon, a green one, also carrying a rider. They were approaching fast. The other red dragon on the ground spread her wings in welcome for her compatriot, and Rian Lugh did the same.<BR><BR><i>They have returned. </i>
Eyriel
Ranger of the North

Postby Ringspell » Sun Oct 06, 2002 11:34 pm

A tall young girl leans against a tree. ‘How long have I been doing this?’ she thinks to herself. She sits down hard on the ground, her purple skirts flying around her. She wraps her arms around her knees. ‘I hate my life.’ she thinks forcefully. ‘I wish I would die.’ She puts her head down, her snow white locks cascade across her face. ‘What am I going to do now, Shay?’ Tears build up in her violet eyes. ‘I’m lost and I didn’t even know where I was in the first place. Or where I was going.’ Shay lays down, her head nestled or her arms. And she falls asleep, unaware of the things going on around her, and not seeing the dragons filling the night sky.<BR><BR>(Sorry so short but I really have to go.)
Ringspell
Shield Bearer

Postby Llinos » Mon Oct 07, 2002 11:49 am

Caerwyn swooped over the great Ty, roaring in greeting her great voice bellowing about the land. The dragons all about lift their magnificant, heads and gaze up seeing their leader they call out great rumbling roars in greeting. One roar towards above them all as the great master gold hollers greeting to his mate.<BR><BR>The deep red lands where she see's Rian Lugh. Grumbling in greeting as she glides to the ground and Llinos slides from her broad back.<BR><BR>"I see Rian Lugh got you in, we have a new Rider, she'll be landing soon. I see you met the other red? Its just her and Caerwyn, would you believe she's Caerwyn's older sister? Yes their mother had a bad year and her dragons were all petite. It's sad the poor thing still hasn't found her rider"<BR><BR>Llinos looked sad a moment gazing at the reds transulcent eyes as she blinked aimfully, she was a quite dragon, shy and still, her delicate body was rarely seen as she often hid away, but her time was coming to an end unless a rider came forward for her...<BR><BR>"Sorry i was lost in my thoughts a moment. When this green arrives I'll show you to your quarters, each Dragon and its rider get their own Ty when they are united. Each one has a great hold for the dragon and a living space for his rider. They're comfy enough We used to but all teh dragons in order Golds and reds at the top Green at the bottom but since theres no one else here i think well forget that and you can all come up there!"<BR><BR>Llinos smiled and looked up icking out her Ty easily, it was very big since Caerwyn was a great dragon and still growing, beside it was another identical desinged for the Master Gold, they jutted out a bit from the rest but all around the great cliffs of the vale holes could be picked out, Llinos intended for Aderyn and the other rider to go next to her, the gold then the green. All the small Ty's had passageways connecting them. Then in the Valley bottom their wound the small river Wyn and about it was some closed off buildings - the kitchens and dining halls, the conference room and lecture room. Then there was a secluded area, Caerwyns hatching ground, Then there was the training area, they used to have a Great warriror rider their who trained the new riders to fight what ever evil fell upon them. But he had died long ago, Llinos hoped they would find someone to replace him one day. <BR><BR>There was also a wide plain of lush grass where dear roamed free, it was the dragons feeding ground, but onyl dragosn that were ridden ate there, others went to hunt food outside the Valley, to keep their mind active. Llinos had been filling the Feeding grounds recently but they needed a herd leader too. So empty the Valley was, they could only hope it filled more before the first attack was made...Caerwyn was sure something would come soon..<BR>
Llinos
Ranger of the North

Return to Role Playing: The Green Dragon Inn (Tolkien-Influenced Fantasy)