The City of Dreams

This forum is for role-playing within settings that influenced Tolkien (non-Middle-earth). Acceptable styles include for Celtic, Norse, Kalevala, Arthurian, and Anglo-Saxon.

Postby DerekHalfHand » Thu Oct 17, 2002 2:28 am

The bandit grinned at the size of the pouch. Bluntly, he dived for it. At the same time, Jungaar's armored hand swiftly slid down the man's blade, gripping it at mid-steel as his other hand formed into a fist and aimed for the bandit's fingers on the hilt. Using the plates of steel protecting his fingers, the norseman raked the badit's finger-skin. Yelping in pain, the criminal let go, as Jungaar's fist opened to close back around the hilt of the sword. On of the Archers fired, however the arrow went off in a random direction, leaving it's originator fumbling for another in an ill-positioned quiver. The other archer stodd there, shouting some incomprehensible mish-mash of words. Jungaar's free hand ham-fistedly punched the pained thug across the jaw as he advanced onto the final archer.
DerekHalfHand
Petitioner to the Council

Postby DerekHalfHand » Thu Oct 17, 2002 2:29 am

Jungaar stared at the man in the eyes, bowing his head slightly so that he would be looking under his eyebrows at the man. The archer kept shouting some incomprehensible garbled amount of words, starting to shake slightly. The other archer managed to get an arrow cocked as the norseman came within blade reach, but the longsword's blade rushed up and whacked the bow of of the man's hand. The arrow went and planted itself but inches from Jungaar's grazing horse. Holding the longsword's tip under the disarmed archer's throat, placed his hand on the tip of the other archer's cocked arrow. Gently, he pushed the bow down, towards the floor. His touch on the arrow seemed to trigger som kind of silence in him. Jungaar spoke in thick accents to the archer he was facing.<BR><BR>"You are peasants, am I not right?" His calm tone soothing, wanting reassuring.<BR>"Nay" Piped up the swordless raider with a crushed nose. "We'd be miners, short of a job." the archer nodded in vigourous agreement. <BR>"Have you actually ever taken a life?" The swordless bandit remained silent. However, the disarmed archer spoke in his stead.<BR>"Me and my bruvvers, we're only trying to make a livin'..."<BR>"You're brothers, are you?" The archer nodded.<BR>"Then I may have an idea for you." Jungaar started to lower his weapon. "First, I want you to put the weapon down. If you need encouraging, I remind you your brother's life is at stake." The remaining bow hit the ground. Jungaar in turn planted the longsword in the ground. Helpfully, he reached for his purse and pulled out thirty gold pieces. "I am a man of no need of this." he put the money in the wounded man's hand. "Buy enough to make a house. Build that house in the forest. Then, cultivate the land around it. Make a living from that." The brothers looked amazed. "And if I catch you stealing from honest adventurers, I'll kill you." Jungaar tightened his purse again. "Now, go."<BR>He climbed back onto his horse and rode along. The three just stood there, looking at the amount of shiny yellow in thier hands.
DerekHalfHand
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Arwen902 » Thu Oct 17, 2002 8:57 am

<BR>It was only when Drina was woken by the pain of a stiff neck that she realised she had fallen asleep where she was sitting slumped against the wall, while she tried to figure out what the writing engraved on the blade of the dagger said. The dagger and sheath lay on the bed next to her and on her lap was a new sheet of parchment where she had been translating the difficult to understand engraving on the blade into her own scribbled handwriting.<BR><BR>Drina had fallen asleep in the middle of writing a word and she had only managed to do a few sentances but she knew that if she didn't leave soon Cucalen and the others would leave for the woods without her and she didn't know the spot they were going to. <BR><BR>She stood up and stretched, trying to get some warmth back into her freezing fingers. She quickly splashed cold water on her face, ran a hand through the tousled waves of her hair and then picked up her cloak and pulled it on. She picked up the dagger carefully and slipped it into a large pocket in her cloak, wrapped up in a scrap of material to stop the exposed tip of the dagger from ripping it.<BR><BR>Then she grabbed the parchment from her bed and walked out the door with it in her hands. Drina read as she walked, looking up every so often to make sure she didn't walk into or trip over anything. The writing sounded almost like some sort of prophecy, but why would a prophecy be written on the blade of a dagger. The part that she had managed to do before falling asleep said,<BR> <BR><i>A city, once fallen will rise for revenge,<BR>Unless those in the future somehow make amends.<BR>Those lost in the battle, their swords turn to rust,<BR>Ashes to ashes, Dust to dust.<BR>The truth is lost i</i><BR><BR>But the rest wasn't that hard to read and she could finish it when she got to the inn. She reached it eventually and walked in, seeing Cucalen and Calid at a table she walked over to them. Smiling wearily she said,<BR><BR>"Hi. How are you two today? Any more dreams Cucalen?"<BR><BR>
Arwen902
Ranger of the North

Postby Cucalen » Tue Oct 22, 2002 10:55 am

"Hi Drina, no there wasn't a repeat of the dream but I still couldn't sleep none of the less. The sooner I find out whats going on the better. We're just waiting for the others to show up now and then we'll set off."<BR><BR>Cucalen took his bag from next to his legs and double checked his gear. Everything seemed to be in place but it was the fourth time he had checked since he came in. It was very unlike him to be this nervous. Yes the sooner it was checked out the better, or would it be?
Cucalen
Rider of the Mark

Postby Arwen902 » Sat Oct 26, 2002 1:23 pm

<BR><i>Drina slipped into a seat next to the other two at the table. She looked at Cucalen and frowned, he seemed restless, anxious, which was really unlike him. But she knew that he had good reason, that dream had obviously unnerved him. She didn't want to be the one to worry him more but he had to know about the dagger.<BR><BR>Rubbing the tense muscles in her neck Drina pulled the dagger out of her cloak and put it in front of Cucalen and Calid. She unwrapped the cloth and put the half translated piece of parchment beside it. Still wary of the dagger she ran her fingers over the cut in her palm which was still quite sore and said,</i><BR><BR>You need to see this. I found it in the woods yesterday. It's really old, the sheath is rusted through. I fell and cut my hand on it and I didn't really know what it was in the dark so I took it home. Look at the writing on the blade, it looks like some kind of prophecy. <BR><i>She pushed the parchment further towards them,</i><BR>It's not very easy to read so I tried to write it out but this was as far as I got before I fell asleep.<BR>
Arwen902
Ranger of the North

Postby BlackCat » Thu Nov 21, 2002 12:26 pm

<i>A black cat jumps out and glares eviliy at the people standing infront of her. She hisses</i><BR>
BlackCat
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Iavasel » Mon Nov 25, 2002 2:03 pm

Calid tempermentally hisses back at the black cat and then promptly sticks out her tongue at it.
Iavasel
Ranger of the North

Postby BlackCat » Tue Nov 26, 2002 11:39 am

It? It??!! DO I LOOK LIKE AN IT??!!!!! I am Pinlo, the Black Cat spy of Mordor.
BlackCat
Citizen of Imladris

Postby BlackCat » Tue Nov 26, 2002 11:40 am

It? It??!! DO I LOOK LIKE AN IT??!!!!! I am Pinlo, the Black Cat spy of Mordor.
BlackCat
Citizen of Imladris

Postby *Silvertears* » Mon Dec 23, 2002 10:58 am

A Dark shadow, and a ray of light passed through the forest quickly. The Dark one was leading the younger child of Light, and they spoke quickly in some unknown language. They moved fast, as if in a rush. The dark one, wrapped up in a thick black cloack, moved like quicksilver, moving but like not at all. The Light child dashed about, a breath of fresh air in the stale morning. She was wrapped in a pale green velvet cloak, and a strange bow was on her back. They both carried packs, and seemed travel- worn. <BR><BR>The fair one took off, randomly, in an odd direction, skew of the straight path that her dark companion had chosen.<BR><BR>"Ai, Fiona... Copperwing, one day you will learn!" She sighed in a recognizable tongue, chasing after her.<BR><BR>Fiona emerged on a small city, or town, or village... whichever. It was a tiny place, with but one recognizable in.<BR><BR>"Aah... Silvertears, please, can we stop to get a bit of food? I know we need to restock, and you won't even tell me where we're off to! Please... SilveR???"<BR><BR>The Dark one, Silvertears, sighed. <BR><BR>"They will not like the color of my skin, Copperwing."<BR><BR>"So you are a darkling? We just mean to restock, collect some gossip, perhaps a bite to eat.."<BR><BR>"Allright!! You win!!" Silvertears threw her hands up in defeat, and together, the darkling and the fairchild moved to the Tavern.<BR>--------<BR><BR>The door opened in the tavern, and two tall figures entered. The taller of the two kept her hood up, but the other left hers down, showing a merry face and bright gold hair. Her eyes were of a stunning green, her skin pale, with a hint of pink, as if one who has never seen the sun just recently stepped out into it. She was almost as they dawn would seem, personified. They rushed up to the bar, the littler one skipping as she went, the dark one moving like she didn't move at all, not even sounding off footsteps. The Dark figure was quite different than most peasants and commoners had seen- as a matter of fact, they both were.<BR><BR>Behind them, the door opened again, letting some poor man in out of the cold, and the wind rushed, brining down the tall one's hood.<BR><BR>Gray skin was marred beautifully by a tear-shaped scar, and depthless eyes glanced around the room for a moment. She had wild, silver hair, and in comparison to her friend, she was the Night, the stars in her hair, the shadows in her flesh. <BR><BR>The Dark one paid it no mind, and moved up to the bar to continue what she had intended on doing, although one hand moved carefully underneath her black-velvet cloak, reaching for something that might protect her from angry villagers.
*Silvertears*
Shield Bearer

Postby Iavasel » Fri Dec 27, 2002 9:42 am

(ooc: oh, forgive me for the oversight, Blackcat<BR>i'm still here, but i've got no idea what to do)
Iavasel
Ranger of the North

Postby Marie » Fri Feb 14, 2003 7:12 am

The door opened again and a female elf came in or elf she looked for her ears where pointed but she was much more . She was rather tan telling of many days on the trail , she was dressed with leather breechers down to the knee and a worn shirt that ended at the whast a long dark robe with arms that pasted the the elbows and the bottem reached the anceles ,over all of these was a dark green cloak that's hood hid her eyes and hair opon entearing she cast back revealing haval eyes and hair the colar of pale sand .She turned to where Cucalen an the rest where and spoke I might be able to help you with that dagger my name is tala . And I have seen this thing before .
Marie
Rider of the Mark

Previous

Return to Role Playing: The Green Dragon Inn (Tolkien-Influenced Fantasy)