Days of the Old Code

This forum is for role-playing within settings that influenced Tolkien (non-Middle-earth). Acceptable styles include for Celtic, Norse, Kalevala, Arthurian, and Anglo-Saxon.

Postby Llinos » Sat Sep 28, 2002 8:04 am

<b>A knight is sworn to valour,<BR>His hear knows only virtue,<BR>His blade defends the helpless,<BR>His might upholds the weak,<BR>His word speaks only truth,<BR>His wrath undoes the wicked.</b><BR><BR><i>The year is 984AD. The land what is supposed a United Kingdom.<BR><BR>The world is filled with destruction and corruption. The injustice of the innocent still raptures the undying lands and fear rises that soon all will be lost. Y<BR><BR>Yet one group still stands strong, their honour still prevails, their justice is still at hand, their hearts are still brave.<BR><BR>They are the Knights of the old code.</i><BR><BR>Deep in the Vales of distant Wales one of these Knights still strides. He goes by the name of Caerwen meaning white fort. Strong is his pride yet upon his coppered red steed he rides alone. His Father gone into the undying lands above, he rides on insistant that his code will prevail. But he cannot do it alone.<BR><BR>Drapped in black, rustic wear, sprinkled with hardened plates to protect his soul, his hair blonde white, his name sake floats around his neck and his subtle green eyes are set to the ground.Some might call him handsome but valour is his call. His face is weather worn yet he is young, only 20winters has he struggeled through in these cruel lands, but now he faces one alone.<BR><BR>"A knight is sworn to valour....." he mutters under his breath as the wind sweeps along him "but can valout alone save us? oh pygi..."<BR><BR>He reaches to pat his trusty mount as the strong steed surges on laden with saddle bags for a Knight lived from his horse. It seemed to the Knight now that he was truly alone, the revolts would not last and the Kingdom would fall under the hands of the King....Phillip. He would destroy the code and justice would be lost. For Caerwen alone could not stop him....
Llinos
Ranger of the North

Postby Lady-Greenleaf » Wed Oct 02, 2002 3:26 pm

Elias strode dumbly through the forest. His pale face was streaked with dirt. The young Irish boy had long since lost his way in the old forest. Being only seventeen years of age he shouldn't have run off in such haste, it was too late now though. The Old Code was in his blood, if no one home would accept it, he had to find someone who would.<BR><BR>He stumbled onto a dirt path, his cloak weatherstained and his boots caked with mud. Elias pushed his night-black hair away from his eyes as he tried to clear his mind. His sword felt suddenly heavy across his back. Looking down at the makeshift make his brother had made him, Elias cursed under his breath. <BR><BR>"Damn, no good brother of mine!" <BR><BR>Elias' voice was bitter, but he knew in truth that he really missed his brother and the rest of his family. Crumpling up the map and shoving it in his pouch he continued up the road when the sound of hooves beating at the ground...<BR><BR>
Lady-Greenleaf
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Iavasel » Wed Oct 02, 2002 4:48 pm

Cai thundered up the road on his tremendous warhorse, Chaos, leaning far down in the saddle, trying to keep his head below the low branches of the old trees that crowded the forest and hung low over the path. He rounded a bend and to his shock discovered someone standing right in the middle of the road. <BR><BR>He swerved Chaos to the side and narrowly avoided knocking the traveler to the ground. He cursed softly to himself as he brought the horse around to be sure the man was alright. He dismounted smoothly and held the man's eyes for a moment before he spoke.<BR><BR> He judged the other to be only a few years younger than himself, a shock of black hair framing a look of frustration and bitterness being held in check. Cai's own hair was tied at the back of his neck, his face stern and wary, his eyes an unsettling gold. "Hail traveler," he said, not unfriendly "I hope you will forgive my lack of caution just now. I did not know another was on the road. You are not hurt, I trust?"
Iavasel
Ranger of the North

Postby Tobias_Red-tail » Wed Oct 02, 2002 9:47 pm

Hooves thundered against the earth, sending up clouds of dust. Horse and rider rode on, both oblivious to the beautiful expanse of grassland that lay before them, only focused on reaching their goal. The rider’s hair was flying out in ribbons of gold-streaked brown against her billowing white cloak, and had one looked in her black eyes, one would have seen flames in them, as though from some long lost memory. She was clad in a simple blouse over a full-length skirt with slits up to mid-thigh, and she rode the horse with ease, letting her body move in sync with the horse. However, she was not here for joy riding. On the contrary, she was in a rush, having to deliver a letter to someone.<BR><BR>After they had rode hard for two hours, and her mount was tiring, the girl, about seventeen, dismounted and moved with a gliding stride common in martial arts masters, but never in one so young, As she walked, leaving her horse to rest and to graze, she heard a sound, rather soft, but still a sound. She whirled around, her sword already half unsheathed. In no time at all, men, all hard and fierce, rose from around her, and aimed slings and crossbows at her heart. Her sword was soon drawn, and her breathing was calm, preparing for a fight. However, she knew the limits of her abilities, and would not pick a fight with this many. To fight with so many of them would be suicide, and they knew it. Slowly surrounding her, enclosing her in a small circle, they didn’t exactly seem to be in the mood of having a fight either. One of them, apparently the leader, motioned for her to follow him. Curious as to why he would not rob her, a seemingly wealthy young woman, she followed him. Another man behind led her mount, or attempted to, actually, since the horse had planted her hooves firm in the ground and made it clear she was not about to budge. He tugged; the mare tugged back. Pushing the man away, she talked gently to the animal, which responded by obediently following her.<BR><BR>Her scruffy captors led her through a dark, dank passageway, lighted by a torch that spewed acrid smoke, causing her eyes to water. When they reached the other end of the passageway, she saw a large open area playing home to a staggering network of tents and walkways, a world of bare timber, twines and canvas, encompassed by greenery climbing, then succumbing to the cliff sides surrounding. Booty was stored here, there, and just about everywhere. <BR><BR>Armed guards led her to a central place, around which scores of dwellers clustered ever nearer, what with the impending frost. The crowd consisted of warrior bandits bearing shields and spears, their women and children mixed in, swarming for a closer, openly suspicious look. Nearby was the largest of all the tents, a central canvas-timber structure, the door flap of which drew back, revealing a formidable figure, ropy dreadlock braids on an otherwise bald skull, massive muscles carved from ebony, scars on a face dominated by slitted eyes and a broad flat nose, and shoulders so broad that you would have to look at them one at a time. He was seated heavily on a timber and twine throne.<BR>"Who are you?" he thundered.<BR>"My name is Alayna, most call me Silverblade. My mentor was Sir Matthias, long time Knight, but now fertilizer for the earth."<BR>"You lie. The Silverblade is a notorious assassin, who would believe that one of the greatest knights was ever her mentor?"<BR>"I challenge you to combat then, to prove my ability."<BR>"You would not last a minute, but I shall accept."<BR><BR>The bandit king withdrew his huge sword, grinning ruthlessly. Alayna darted to one side, and as deftly as picking an apple from a tree, plucked a sword from the belt of a guard. The crowd instantly drew away, creating a larger arena, as the girl charged forward without fear at the giant, who ran at the oncoming threat, his sword held high. The swords connected with a shattering impact, literally, as the powerful blades fragmented like glass under the blows of these two powerful warriors. Alayna reeled backwards, and her opponent did the same, each person startled to see the broken-at–the-hilt sword in his, or her grasp. In a moment of frozen time, the two stared at each other, as if wondering what to do, then they made a simultaneous decision, and again ran at each other, both their fists raised. The mass onlookers thundered with pleasure, as the fight progressed. Nobody gained the upper hand over the other, as bulk made the king’s blows strong, but speed and grace kept the hand-to-hand exchange. Suddenly, the king grabbed a pan from an open campfire and smashed it on Alayna’s back, which caused her to reel and crash into a tent, taking the canvas structure down with her. In the meantime, one of the king’s men threw him a staff, and he beared down on Alayna, who rolled back and forth across the fallen canvas, dodging the striking stick. As she rolled, she discovered the tent’s pole, which she snatched up and used to parry the attacks of the king and his staff. Silently, she thanked Sir Matthias, who had forced her to learn all sorts of weapons. They seemed to fight to another stalemate, as the two expertly thrust and parried with their staffs, an exchange that only served to emphasize how evenly matched the warriors were. <BR><BR>Now it was her turn to feel frustrated, and she summoned the fury within her to blot out the chivalrous give and take the duel had become. Laying into the large man, hacking away like a scythe at jungle grass, knocking the surprised giant backwards, the girl’s ferocity trumping the superior strength of the king, and with a blow that snapped her own makeshift staff into half, knocked the king’s staff out of grasp and beyond his reach, driving him against a wall of timber…and the ragged, jagged yet pointed half was poised at his throat, dimpling the skin. The 'theater' had gone deadly silent, for every man there knew that in an instant, with a simple thrust, the king would be dead. However, all she said was,<BR>"Do you believe me now? I am the heir of Sir Matthias. All who challenge me shall lose."<BR>
Tobias_Red-tail
Ranger of the North

Postby Ruccus » Thu Oct 03, 2002 2:17 am

Calima sat. He did not not often sit except to sleep and this was one of those times. He had never worked so hard in his life. But the fields had needed ploughing, and as it was his farm and as he was the only one on it, then he had to plough the fields. It had been hard, as it had rainde the day before and the cattle weren't co-operating with him or the plough, and one of the blades had broken.<b>Oh well.</b>he thought, <b>I need to do and see the blacksmith anyway. I might as well take him the plough blade as well.</b><BR>Calima sat by the fire, on the floor as he had no chairs, not even a bed. Hishouse was one room. It wasn't really a house, more of a shelter or hut, but he called it home. This was where he lived and where he thought he was going to die, and he might be right, but his family have always made there own destiny, it is just thta for several generations they haven't known they have. <BR>Calima once lived with his uncle. Ever since his father and older brother had been killed in a battle against the ruling Power. His uncle had taught him how to usea sword and his mind, and Calima's knowledge was great than that of any man in his area. It was greater even than that of the Healer, that lived ion the village about an hours walki away from his farm. His sword skils rivaled that of the great Princes that rulled the provences.<BR>But he had never used his skills,he had lived a quite life, not troubling anyone, except the crows that tried to eat his crops. He had no one at home. He had never felt love or hate or anger. But all this was about to change.
Ruccus
Ranger of the North

Postby Llinos » Thu Oct 03, 2002 10:09 am

Caerwen looked up, his eyes distant, his thoughts disturbed by the sound of approaching hooves. He blinked to clear the fog from his eyes, long had he sat without moving.. The sun was now beginnign to fall and as usual in these vallies a mist slowlt began to reside upon the ground floating softly through the fading light. <BR><BR>He peered forward only to see a rider, with a man beside him she urged his mount on closer to great these travellers on the road, long had he wandered alone and he would be glad for some talk for once.<BR><BR>"Hail i am Sir Caerwen, duty urges me to greet you here. I am curious for these lands are often empty why for you find yourselves in this distant valley?"<BR><BR>As he awaited their reply he noted from an ancient rock towering near by where abouts he had rode, he knew not far from here was a small farm if this fog settled anymore, they may need to seak shelter there, dangers rose when you couldn't see a meter before your face...
Llinos
Ranger of the North

Postby Tobias_Red-tail » Fri Oct 04, 2002 8:08 am

The bandit king backed down, and as they were resting in his tent, both sitting on soft cushions and sipping the strong tea brewed by his wife, he asked her a question.<BR>"I believe you. But what are you doing here, away from civilization?"<BR>"I was sent to deliver a message to the people, to invite them to take up arms with the underground rebel group of which I am a part of. Our main aim is to overthrow the king, and to do that, we require more people to help us. If you will join our cause, I am sure my superiors will be most delighted to have your hardened warriors on our side."<BR>"I will do what I can, which means raiding of supply lines."<BR>"But that’s not enough! We wish to liberate our country from the clutches of King Phillip, and cutting his supplies off is not enough. Are you a coward, to sit here, safe and away from all the trouble, while men die for the cause?" She spoke to him, in a voice filled with contempt.<BR>"I am no coward. I knew Sir Matthias, and have fought with him more than once. For I was a Knight of the Old Code. I have been fighting with a blade before you was born, and wish to help you as much as I can. But what you are asking for is too much. Far too much." He answered, in a tone cold enough to chill the room.<BR>"Will you let the filth raid the country which you love so much? Will you let them terrorize the people whom you and I strive so hard to protect? Are you not a Knight of the Old Code?"<BR>"I was a knight once, but not anymore. Unlike your Sir Matthias, who believed honor was more important than life, I ran while I had the chance. Now he’s dead, and I’m alive. Who benefits?"<BR>"Fine. I am sure there will be men elsewhere who will join our revolution. I will leave now." Turning and leaving the tent, she found her mare and mounted, leaving the bandit camp behind her.<BR><BR>As she rode hard and fast, she passed by many villages, all of which had sworn their allegiance to the new King. Her lip curled in contempt for these cowards, and she rode on, seeing many notices that read:<BR>By order of the Royal land,<BR>A reward is offered,<BR>for the capture or death of the REBEL known as <BR>Silverblade<BR><BR>Plucking one off a tree, she shoved it in a saddlebag, and continued her search. As she traveled, nearing the outskirts of a province, she spotted a farm, which did not seem to have any clear stand as to which side the owner was on. Gathering up her courage, she knocked on the door, and before the owner even opened it, she had begun her tirade on why he should join her cause. No doubt the farm owner would think she was crazy, but she had little choice. She begun talking to the door, and started her usual speech.<BR>"Do you believe in the taxes which he imposes on the common people? Many don’t even have enough to eat, and yet he imposes such taxes on us. If King Phillip can hang any man, for all you know, you may be next. Take a look. I am wanted by him, and yet I ride the streets in broad daylight." Throwing the notice in the air and drawing her knife, she allowed the blade to pass through the paper and to embed itself in a nearby tree trunk. <BR>"Will you join me in my cause?"<BR><BR>Sitting back, she awaited his reply, slumping herself against a nearby tree. Whether he was game or not was another question. She was growing desperate now, to even talk to doors.<BR>
Tobias_Red-tail
Ranger of the North

Postby Ruccus » Tue Oct 08, 2002 3:57 am

The door opened slowly, but without a hand.<i>You may enter, and take rest Lady. You have had a long raod behind and infront, i think. But enter and rest.</i><BR>Calima was still sitting on the floor, his head bowed adn his hood up for warmth, as the fire had burnt low and cold. As the door opened the mist rolled in and filled the hut for a second and then was gone, shying away fromt he living space.<BR>Against the hearth, there lay a bow and a quiver of arrows, and a sword, glinting in the dieing light of the embers in the grate.<BR>As the LAdy entered, she glanced around and made an inquisitive look at the sword. Calima noticed and said <i>You think i pay his taxes?</i>
Ruccus
Ranger of the North

Postby Lady-Greenleaf » Sun Oct 13, 2002 4:34 pm

Elias looked to the two other men mounted on horse back, he suddenly felt rather small and insignificant. He pushed his sweat-drenched hair out of his face, as he surveyed the other two. Being so far from home and any secure help, Elias wasn't taking any chances, though these men seemed trusting enough. Unfamiliar with what may seem as a normal introduction to the Englishman, he lost care for what they would think of him.<BR><BR>"I am Elias," he says, his voice heavy in an Irish accent. "My father was a Knight of the Old Code, and I've come in hopes of finding these Knights, for I know nothing of them, save the code itself."<BR><BR>Elias paused, realizing that he had just poured his entire plan to complete strangers. An ignorant deed he wasn't sure he could commend. He looked up to the two men, who looked as though they were familiar with the subject matter that Elias had mentioned. The one that called himself Caewean smiled a bit faintly.<BR><BR>"Then this day is in your fortune, Elias," said Caerwen. "For you have been succesful in finding a Knight of the Old Code."<BR><BR>
Lady-Greenleaf

Postby Iavasel » Sun Oct 13, 2002 8:16 pm

"Two knights of the Code." Corrected Cai, "I am Sir Caidenair Pedodraug," he continued bowing from his place in the saddle to Caerwen and Elias.<BR>"Well met," He added straightening again.<BR>"As for why I am here," he said, coming back to Caerwen's first question,"that can not be told so openly, not when it is possible for it to be overheard by unfriendly ears. I have already given you much with the sound of my name. I have seen no signs of my pursuit, but it does not do to be hasty."<BR>As the sun sank lower the mist thickened, rising off the land in thick silver coils. Cai eyed it warily even as he spoke. "And I am not overly fond of mists."
Iavasel
Ranger of the North

Postby Llinos » Fri Oct 18, 2002 9:00 am

Caerwen nodded his head solemnly listening to the mens words. He would like to here more from both of them but Cai was right, ears were easily hidden in these mists and it was not worth the risk..He also would like to talk to them of his Father. For he was the unamed son of the last leader of the Old Code. Many knew his Father's name and his Rank, all the knights knew of him. Yet only few had met him their leader. Now leaderless, it was decreed that Caerwen would take over for his Father, but first he must lay eyes on Camelot and so for now that was his quest. Than maybe the Knights would unite and a new King could be found to rule their Kingdom.<BR> <BR>"You are right Cai. Mist's are not the best places for discussion!, Climb up here Elias, we shall ride to a farm house not far from here. I know they will give us shelter, I have oft past here and stayed with them."<BR><BR>They made their way swiftly to the Farm and Caerwen swung easily from Pygu's broad back and knocked pon the door, he sttod drapped in his black cloak waiting for an answer, hoping for recognition, he remembered an old man had lived there with his son, calima, but it had been some time since his last visit. Things may have changed.
Llinos
Ranger of the North

Postby Tobias_Red-tail » Sat Oct 19, 2002 10:55 pm

Alayna glanced warily at the sword lying in the corner. It was strange that a weapon like this would be found in a common farmer's home, and a seemingly impoverished one at that, judging by the contents of the room. His last sentence however, had set her mind thinking. "You think I pay his taxes?" What did this young man have to do to prevent the paying of his taxes? Kill the tax man? The mere thought sent an amused grin to her face. Glancing at him, as if asking his permission, she lifted the sword from its corner of the room, and gave it a few swings. To her amazement, the balance of the sword and such were perfect, with the mark of a professional craftsman.<BR><BR>Spotting his dying fire, she moved up to it, struck some flint and brought out some kindling which she always kept in her saddlebags, to help the fire catch. As the flames licked the wood, she turned to the strange young man who not only possessed a sword, but also did not pay the extreme taxes.<BR>"Tell me now, friend, where did you get a blade as such? It is fine indeed, and the craftsmanship is near enough to put a master smith to shame. In addition to that, what is your name? For mine is Alayna, student of Sir Matthias, one of the Knights of the Old Code."
Tobias_Red-tail
Ranger of the North

Postby Lady-Greenleaf » Fri Nov 01, 2002 3:46 pm

The three men waited for some time before the door of the farmhouse. The wind whispered through the trees, carrying its wordless messages to all those who listened. They continued to wait in silence. When no answer came, Caerwen raises his hand to knock again, when the door opened slowly, but only a crack. <BR><BR>"Who are you?" said a cautious voice from within. "If you've come to collect taxes, I will fight you!"<BR><BR>Caerwen held up his hand. "No, no. We're friends. We've come seeking shelter. I am Sir Caerwen. Are you Calima?"<BR><BR>"Indeed," said the man behind the door. After a pause, the door widened, allowing them to see his entire figure. Calima's eyes surveyed Caerwen for a moment. "Ah, yes, I remember you. But who are these two? Them I do not know."<BR><BR>"I am Sir Cai, a fellow Knight of the Old Code," Cai said, introducing himself.<BR><BR>"And I'm Elias," he said softly.<BR><BR>Somewhere a falcon cried out, piercing the ears of the others. The sun had now completely sank beneath the horizon. A cold wind had struck up suddenly, sending a chill down their back. The full moon was rising higher, and the stars were just faintly piercing at the darkening sky. The nearby woods seemed suddenly eerie as the wind disturbed dead branches that seemed like skeletons.<BR><BR>"If you do not mind," Caerwen requested. "May we come in. I believe there is much for us to discuss."<BR><BR>"Of course, sir," Calima said, clearing the doorway, and allowing the men to enter.
Lady-Greenleaf

Postby Llinos » Sun Nov 03, 2002 9:04 am

Caerwen walked in smiling he saw the women in there and was somewhat shocked for she didn't look like the normal person you'd meet in a young farmers rundown cottage. He immeadiatly pushed back his cape reveling his blonde hair hanging loss about his weather face and smiled bowing low to her.<BR><BR>"Greetings m'lady, I am Sir Caerwen Knight of the old Code, son of Llywelyn Last leader of the Knights of the Old code, whom might you be?"<BR><BR>He watches her earnestly, curious of this lady who sat before him.
Llinos
Ranger of the North

Postby themasternazgul » Tue Nov 12, 2002 9:55 am

<i>Inside the tables circle<BR>Under the sacred sword<BR>A knight must vow to follow<BR>The code that is unending<BR>Undending as the table<BR>A ring by honor bound</i><BR><BR>My friend, it has been a long time since i last recited these words. A long time since i last heard the call of the Old Code ring through this world. But, alas, the code can never die as long as one man holds to the vow. <BR>Well, to get right to the point i am Taerom Ormlyr. Knight of the Old Code, and i would be honored to serve under your banner if you'll take me.<BR><BR>For life, For honor<BR>~The Master Nazgul~
themasternazgul
Shield Bearer

Postby Lady-Greenleaf » Tue Nov 19, 2002 4:16 pm

well, i didn't start this thread, but, i'm sure more the merrier is acountable, besides, one more person to keep this story going would be welcom
Lady-Greenleaf

Return to Role Playing: The Green Dragon Inn (Tolkien-Influenced Fantasy)