Gathering of Warriors: Search for the Harp

This forum is for role-playing within settings that influenced Tolkien (non-Middle-earth). Acceptable styles include for Celtic, Norse, Kalevala, Arthurian, and Anglo-Saxon.

Who is your favorite character out of Search for the Harp?

Nare
0
No votes
Brina
0
No votes
Cali
0
No votes
Elias
1
50%
Larys
0
No votes
Thor
1
50%
 
Total votes : 2

Gathering of Warriors: Search for the Harp

Postby Elf*Moon*Forest » Sat Nov 01, 2003 3:05 pm

All was quiet. Nare's frozen breath was all that disturbed the stillness of the battlefield. The dead scattered the ground, and her burning tears left the trail of her passage as she searched for Him.

Three days later, with her eyes puffy and red and her clothes stained with blood, she threw down the last of the signet rings in despair. Many princes had died here. Hundreds of countries would be thrown into turmoil. There was nothing she could do for them.

After dragging her way through the mangled bodies, she used her sword to hack an inscription into a nearby tree in the Runic letters:

"Here lie those who's souls the Gods hath taken before their times, And so may they remain until Earth take their bodies also."

Shoving the stake into the ground, she strode away in the direction of the nearest city, Caerdiae, the Memory still ringing in her head.

"Past the blue wall, through the white door,
Pass the red tree, go o'er the moor.
Through the highlands and o'er the strand,
There is the place where the harp doth stand."

She would need a company. And soon.
Last edited by Elf*Moon*Forest on Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:29 pm, edited 5 times in total.
User avatar
Elf*Moon*Forest
Ranger of the North
 
Posts: 1009
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2002 7:50 am
Location: The Havens
Top

Postby Elf*Moon*Forest » Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:41 pm

The Red Boar was filled with foreigners. One man from the East boasted metal fans as a weapon. <BR> <i>Through the white door</i><BR><BR>This tavern had had a red door; no help there. The owner of the inn approached her, slipped a wad of paper into her hand, and scurried off in the direction of some mischievious gnomes who had begun harassing other guests with empty wineskins.<BR><BR> A lithe figure, almost as tall as she, strode toward her. She could not decipher the gender of the speaker, but they asked:<BR><BR> "Are you looking for some followers?"
User avatar
Elf*Moon*Forest
Ranger of the North
 
Posts: 1009
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2002 7:50 am
Location: The Havens
Top

Postby Teleri123 » Fri Nov 07, 2003 8:07 pm

Nare looked straight at the stranger for a moment, and realized it was a girl. She had long light brown hair with hazel eyes, had a large green cloak that went almost to her ankles, covering her up.<BR><BR>"Are you looking for some followers?" The girl repeated, staring into Nare's eyes. <BR><BR>"Who are you?" Nare replied curiously. The girl motioned for Nare to go to a table in the corner. As they walked, Nare noticed the girl had a sword under her cloak.<BR><BR>"Sit." <BR><BR>"Who are you?" Nare repeated.<BR><BR>"I know what you are doing, and as a piece of advice, you may not want to look the way you do if you want to keep your travels a secret." Nare looked at herself. She hadn't done anything to clean herself up from when she was searching the battlefield. "From the look in your face, you're alarmed. As to calm your nerves, my name is Brina. I am also related to the man you seek, and i'm here to accompany you to find the harp".
User avatar
Teleri123
Shield Bearer

 
Posts: 368
Joined: Sun May 19, 2002 1:29 pm
Top

Postby Elf*Moon*Forest » Fri Nov 07, 2003 8:33 pm

Nare gaped at the girl increduously. Leaning closer to her, she whispered, "How do you know of the harp? Or the man I'm looking for?"<BR><BR> She gave the girl a sidelong glance. Her cloak was threadbare in places, and she looked as if she had recieved a few sound beatings in the past day or so.<BR><BR> Nare was just about to dismiss the girl with a 'No thank you, but you can't help me.' when the girl caught her hand, dragging her into a flagon of beer and soaking her muddy cloak even further.<BR><BR> "Please!" the girl pleaded. Nare sighed heavily and sat back down.<BR> "I can HELP you." She stared into Nare's eyes.<BR>Slowly, Nare untangled her fingers from the girl's grip and nodded.
User avatar
Elf*Moon*Forest
Ranger of the North
 
Posts: 1009
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2002 7:50 am
Location: The Havens
Top

Postby Jakkin » Sat Nov 08, 2003 11:30 am

Jakkin sat back in his chair, the dark corner of the inn and the black cloak that hung over his tall frame compleatly conceled him. He watched as two women, one obviously from the battlefield, the other whose looks indicated a war-torn traveller talked in hushed tones. <BR><BR>Absantmindedly he fiddled with a large golden ring on his finger, the design of a red dragon and a black raven glowed in the candelight. <BR>Just as he was about to go back to his ale and dismiss the Ladies, he heard the words "Harp" and "I can help you"<BR>He almost choked on his ale, he had known about the Harp for ages, but left it, as he refused to believe it would play some part in his life. His father had gone mad trying to find this legendary harp, this madness drove him to an early grave. <BR>Jakkin slipped the signant ring into his pocket. That ring was what his father was murdered for. Trying to regane his composure, he slowly walked up to the women. Pulling down his hood, revealing his black hair and burning dark eyes he said: <BR> <i>Greetings. My name is Jakkin..perhaps I could be of some service."</i>
User avatar
Jakkin
Shield Bearer
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:27 am
Top

Postby *Sadrien*Elvenhalf* » Fri Nov 14, 2003 12:59 pm

.
User avatar
*Sadrien*Elvenhalf*
Ranger of the North

 
Posts: 1669
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2002 3:09 pm
Top

Postby *Sadrien*Elvenhalf* » Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:05 pm

<i>She sat in the corner of the inn, a shadowed and private corner, with a perfect view of the rest of the downstairs room. Raelin sat, running her finger over the smooth rim of her mug, turquoise eyes scanning the room and it's patrons.</i><BR> <BR><i>The occupations of the patrons were unknown and unasked for, but they seemed to be your normal travellers, trackers, and wanderers, gruff and cloaked men with unruly beards and hair, many already intoxicated from their drinks, the others busily puffing on their pipes. Of course, there were a few more foreign men. Warriors, it seemed. A man from the East with fans of metal. An intimidating weapon. Yes, the patrons all seemed normal...all but a certain group to Rae's left, five or six tables over.</i> <BR> <BR><i>Three people sat around a table, two females and one male. They seemed to be discussing something, but Raelin couldn't hear what it was about. From the expressions on their faces and the way they sat and moved, Raelin could tell they were discussing something important.</i><BR> <BR><i> Normally a curious woman, Rae longed to know what they spoke of. She had always loved a good adventure or story. The ability to offer one help made her forget her worries and troubles, even if it was only for a while. She eyed the three talking quietly among themselves, using what skill of lip-reading she had: "Jakkin...perhaps...service.."</i><BR> <BR><i> Now Rae was very interested, this might just be the oppurtunity she needed..but, she shouldn't pry....it was business between them, not her. </i><BR><BR>~But what could I lose?~ <BR> <BR><i>She thought to herself,</i> <BR><BR>~I could just ask, and if I wasn't needed, then alright, I would just return to my drink and wait for the next oppurtune moment..~<BR> <BR><i>She bit her bottom lip gently, as was a habit for her whenever she was debating something in her head.</i><BR><BR>~Patience, Rae. Let them speak to each other some more, then you can ask if they are in need of assistance. Finish your drink first.~
User avatar
*Sadrien*Elvenhalf*
Ranger of the North

 
Posts: 1669
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2002 3:09 pm
Top

Postby Elf*Moon*Forest » Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:09 pm

Nare looked up, surprised, and Brina followed her gaze. A tall man, of muscular build in a black cloak, stood before them. " I am Jakkin. Perhaps I could be of some service?" he inquired.<BR><BR> Nare looked him over once more. He seemed strangely familiar, although she could not place his face. Brina grinned slightly and giggled.<BR><BR> She sighed, and gestured to a serving maid for another flask of beer. Not many seemed in need of an adventure, so she would make do with what she had.<BR><BR><BR> "All right.'" she declared once he had been seated and was settled comfortably into his beer. "Both of you may join me. I warn you, this will not be simple. Aside from Brina I have no informational sources as to where this man could be hiding. You will still follow me?"<BR><BR> Jakkin nodded grimly, and Brina placed a hand over her own. "Of course," she said.
User avatar
Elf*Moon*Forest
Ranger of the North
 
Posts: 1009
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2002 7:50 am
Location: The Havens
Top

Postby Teleri123 » Fri Nov 14, 2003 8:25 pm

Brina leaned back in her chair as Nare and Jakkin sat in silence and reached for her mug.<BR><BR>"Alright" She said with a sigh. "Now that we know we're all going together, how about we introduce ourselves and prepare for what's ahead?" <BR><BR>"Alright..." Nare said curiously, looking at Jakkin. Brina giggled again.<BR><BR>"How about i go first?" Nare and Jakkin nodded. "Oh, and Nare, just so you know, Jakkin is my cousin. His father was brothers with my uncle, the man we're looking for, so you don't need to worry." She took a drink from her mug and smiled.
User avatar
Teleri123
Shield Bearer

 
Posts: 368
Joined: Sun May 19, 2002 1:29 pm
Top

Postby Jakkin » Sat Nov 15, 2003 7:46 am

Jakkin huffed, Brina hadn't changed a bit.<BR><i>"Thank you Brina for introducing me, heaven forbid I should tell about myself."</i>Jakkin grinned, he loved to tease Brina, even from when they were small and spent days just splashing around in his fathers pond. Or when Jakkin's father had died, Brina was the only one who could cheer him up. <BR>Brina looked down a grin played on her face.<BR>Nare looked from Brina to Jakkin. <BR><i>"You have the ring?"</i>she said compleatly surprised. <BR>Slowly Jakkin reached inside he tunic, he felt the cold gold against his calloused skin. Looing around to see if anyone was watching he said huskely <i>"Give me your hand"</i><BR>Nare put out her hand, Jakkin grasped it and covering Nare's hand with his huge one he transferred the ring into her palm. <BR><i>"Like I said, I may be of some service."</i><BR>Jakkin smiled and leaned back in his chair, while Nare inspected the ring.
User avatar
Jakkin
Shield Bearer
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:27 am
Top

Postby Elbren » Sat Nov 15, 2003 8:33 am

Hey folks,<BR><BR>Please be sure that you are following the Guidelines for the Green Dragon Inn. We're fairly demanding in here, just like in the Pony, and insist that all writers follow the Rules and Guidelines.
User avatar
Elbren
Ranger of the North


 
Posts: 4972
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2000 7:24 am
Top

Postby TassleHoffe » Sun Nov 16, 2003 5:58 pm

(OOC I sort of hoped to come in later but it seems I should "jump ship" also.)<BR><BR>Suddenly a beautiful tune was heard from the far corner of the room. A small crowd began to form, but was growing quickly. Then a voice was heard and it sang;<BR><BR>"Greetings those here in the Red Boar,<BR>Sit back and relax for I have a tale instore,<BR>I recently just came from a festival of Bards,<BR>But keeping this information from you would be hard,<BR>So pull up a chair,<BR>And listen here,<BR>For this is a tale of a mysterious harp..."<BR><BR>"Stop it, stop that singing!" shouted a man from the corner.<BR><BR>Jakkin stood up from the table, and drew his sword. The people of the tavern all gasped in fear. Jakkin quickly walked to where the singing came from. People backed away in fear as he approached the person who sang so marvelously. He then caught sight of a short fellow with a terrifyed look , as if he just soiled himself. In his hand he held a lyre. <BR><BR>"You, come hither." Jakkin exclaimed. "Come wiht me over here."<BR><BR>The small fellow only had thoughts of how the tall man was going to behead him if he only stood but a little higher from the ground. <BR>Jakkin took the small man to a corner of the room, and lowered his voice to a soothing, calm tone. <BR><BR>"How do you know of the Harp? he softly inquired.<BR><BR>"I am a bard, I have knowledge of many things, and the Harp happens to be one of them. I also own a magical instrument, but that is another story." the small man said cowering in fear. <BR><BR>"What is thy name?" asked Jakkin.<BR><BR>"I am TassleHoffe, but you can call me Tass. I am a hobbit, and I am 62 years old. I am not married, and I don't plan to be. I have been travleing for the past 40 years of my life." said the small fellow.<BR><BR>"Alright I did not ask for a life story." stated Jakkin. "Come with me there is some one you must meet." he said.<BR><BR>Jakkin and Tass made their way over to the table where the two women sat.
User avatar
TassleHoffe
Shield Bearer
 
Posts: 304
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2003 4:03 pm
Top

Postby Jakkin » Thu Nov 20, 2003 6:23 pm

The hobbit skittishly sat down and drank the ale Jakkin had offered him.<BR><BR><i>"So you also know of this Harp, I am intrigued to know where you first learned of it."</i><BR><BR>The hobbiy took a drink and replied <i>"My Father was a musician, he loved music more then anything, Twas he that taught me the lore of the Harp."</i><BR>I nodded and introduced the halfling to the Ladies. They we're kind and couterous, yet at the same time careful. Probably to see if this hobbit was safe to give and recieve information.<BR><BR> Jakkin judging Tass trustworthy stated: <i>"I do not believe I have introduced myself, I am Jakkin Amavaco. You have chanced upon a meeting of sorts, we gathered here to discuss this harp, and how"</i> Jakkin raised one eyebrow <i>" to find it."</i><BR><BR>Tass looked up at Jakkin, he no longer looked afraid. <i>"That my friend I can help you with."</i>he boldly said. <BR>Jakkin nodded again. <i>" You see, I have this ring. It is supposedly the key to finding it, however we lack the power to translate the symbols." </i>Jakkin looked at Nare, who handed the gold ring to the excited hobbit.
User avatar
Jakkin
Shield Bearer
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:27 am
Top

Postby TassleHoffe » Thu Nov 20, 2003 8:13 pm

Intently staring at the ring, Tass curiosuly said,<BR><BR> "Ah this appears foreign to me. I have seen many languages in my day, but this particular one I am not quite sure of. It appears to remesembles a distant form of elvish not known to me, as if it is a dialect. I will keep this in mind, and I will look into it. This ring seems to be a stunning piece of jewerly, and I have an aquard feeling about it. It is like it harnesses an immense power within it, but its source I cannot say. This goes way beyond my knowledge. Even though I ahve reat knowledge, I am only a mere bard."<BR><BR>Tass sat there still fingering the ring, blocking out those around him. Among the thoughts flying through his mind, he thought he heard a faint whisper, but he thought nothing of it.<BR>The others at the table dicsussed the harp once again, and how they all came ot be at the same tavern. <BR><BR>"It is as if destiny calls us all for this quest. We have been assigned this task or burden as you will, and it is something we must proceed with." Jakkin stated in a melancholly maner. <BR><BR>"Information is something we must gain more of. What do you say we head out soon and start our journey, hoping that we will come apon some one with the knowledge to tells us what the ring means, and hopefully how this piece of jewerely will become a key to the Harp." said Nare.<BR><BR>~Tass~
User avatar
TassleHoffe
Shield Bearer
 
Posts: 304
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2003 4:03 pm
Top

Postby Elf*Moon*Forest » Fri Nov 21, 2003 9:59 pm

Nare stood slowly, brushing off her cloak. The creature that called itself a 'hobbit' (most surely a tomten of some sort?) grabbed at her wrist. "Might you attempt to decipher the signs, Lady?"<BR><BR> Brina giggled again, and Nare took the ring from the small creature, peering closely at the fine lines.<BR><BR><BR> "It only says 'Of those who seek, will find and be found; of those who perish, shall rise and breathe again.' certainly confusing. One of the older Gaelic dialects, then."<BR><BR>She looked up to those surrounding her. Jakkin stood wide-eyed, nodding slowly, while Brina and Tass huddled together. Nare had been born in Sweden, and raised in Ireland for a good part of her childhood. She knew the runes well.<BR><BR> "I guess that settles it, then! I have a relation, a relation of a relation, a mystery who wants little to be known of herself, and a dwarf of some type with a wonderful mind."<BR><BR> She smiled at Tass, and laughed aloud. "I'm beginning to sound like you, my friend."
User avatar
Elf*Moon*Forest
Ranger of the North
 
Posts: 1009
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2002 7:50 am
Location: The Havens
Top

Postby *Sadrien*Elvenhalf* » Sat Nov 22, 2003 2:30 pm

<i>Swallowing the last remnants of her drink, Rae looked over her mug's rim and saw one of the woman from the other table stand. A small man had joined them and he know handed the woman something. Rae tried to make out what it was, but could only see a small glint from the light. It must be a pendant or ring of sorts. </i><BR><BR><i>The woman read from the glittering bauble and Rae could just make out what she said: "Of those who seek, will find and be found; of those who perish, shall rise and breathe again."</i> <BR><BR><i>Her eyes widened. ~Could it be? Could the bauble really be the ring connected to the Harp?~ Rae swallowed hard, now she had to know, now she had to see if she could help. There was no other way around it.</i><BR><BR><i>With more open courage, she stood and placed her mug on the table, dropping a few gold coins next to it to pay off the drink. She then faced the table and it's company, quickly running her fingers through her hair and tugging her shirt a little to straighten her appearance out. This completed, she walked over to the table and met eye contact with the woman who had read the ring.</i><BR><BR>"Hello. I couldn't help overhearing something you said a moment ago. A...riddle, if you will."<BR><BR><i>The woman gazed back at Rae, not speaking but waiting for more of an explanation as to Rae's abrupt appearance. Rae noticed the look and tried to explain herself.</i><BR><BR>"I've heard of this riddle before. I was rumored that it was inscribed upon a ring. A special ring that holds connection to a magical harp. Most of what I heard, I took as myth. But now...Now I know that the ring exists..." <BR><BR><i>She paused for a moment, trying to keep her thoughts straight and not appear as potentially untrustworthy. So many times had she been turned away, all due to misinterpretations of Rae's actions. Rae now smiled softly</i><BR><BR>"I know this may come across as strange, but if you are in search of the Harp, I would like to offer my services. I would like to help you find it."<BR>
User avatar
*Sadrien*Elvenhalf*
Ranger of the North

 
Posts: 1669
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2002 3:09 pm
Top

Postby Elf*Moon*Forest » Fri Nov 28, 2003 7:42 am

Nare gazed at the new woman, slightly taken aback by her remark. <BR><BR> "And how do you know of the Harp?" she asked.
User avatar
Elf*Moon*Forest
Ranger of the North
 
Posts: 1009
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2002 7:50 am
Location: The Havens
Top

Postby Teleri123 » Fri Nov 28, 2003 9:20 pm

Brina, still seated overlooked the woman who had just confronted them, and was now talking to Nare. She was thinking this over in her head, her grin turned into a thoughtful look. She examined her mug and tried to sort the last minutes to herself.<BR><BR>"We don't know enough...so what could it hurt, bringing in more helpers? But we have no knowledge of her...yet she still has much to explain about her knowledge of the ring to Nare...also the halfling...he is a fine person, with much to provide our quest with...oh, Brina, you must stop this. Forget this woman and who she is, and whoever is within this group...think of the ring knowledge you know of instead...try to understand more...a distant elvish dialect...wonderful jewelery...awkward feelings about it...possible holding of immense power..." <BR><BR>Brina continued to think while the others spoke with the woman.
User avatar
Teleri123
Shield Bearer

 
Posts: 368
Joined: Sun May 19, 2002 1:29 pm
Top

Postby *Sadrien*Elvenhalf* » Sat Nov 29, 2003 12:22 am

<u>"And how do you know of the Harp?" she asked.</u><BR><BR>"As I said, most of what I heard, was taken for myth. My....my father used to tell me about it, when I was a little girl. He spoke of a magical harp, that harnessed an amazing power...The powers it held have been the topic of many a heated discussion. Some think that it has power to rule over the people of this world, Some believe it harnesses a healing power, that will rid the world of all evil, and others think that the harp is only a key, a key to something greater and even more powerful."<BR><BR><i>Rae gave the woman a soft smile</i><BR><BR>"All of my life I have thought of this harp, wondering if it existed, and what it was truly capable of. I would love an oppurtunity to help you on you quest, for it would settle my questions about this Harp. I'm a capable fighter and won't get in the way. But please, May I join your fellowship?"
User avatar
*Sadrien*Elvenhalf*
Ranger of the North

 
Posts: 1669
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2002 3:09 pm
Top

Postby Elf*Moon*Forest » Sat Nov 29, 2003 6:50 am

<i>May I join your fellowship?</i><BR><BR> Nare pondered this for a moment. Soon she would not have a company but a caravan. Slowly, hesitantly, she nodded.<BR><BR> "Certainly." she turned to the others. "Is everyone ready to go?"
User avatar
Elf*Moon*Forest
Ranger of the North
 
Posts: 1009
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2002 7:50 am
Location: The Havens
Top

Postby Teleri123 » Fri Dec 05, 2003 5:43 pm

Brina suddenly snapped back into reality as she heard Nare asked everyone if they were ready to go. She put her mug down and stood up with an uncertainy about what she had been thinking about that she didn't want to reveal, so she grinned her usual grin.<BR><BR>"Yes, i'm ready." She picked up her cloak, put it on, and waited for the others. Then she walked over to the woman who was talking to Nare. "By the way, my name is Brina."
User avatar
Teleri123
Shield Bearer

 
Posts: 368
Joined: Sun May 19, 2002 1:29 pm
Top

Postby *Sadrien*Elvenhalf* » Sat Dec 06, 2003 8:21 pm

<u>"Is everyone ready to go?" </u><BR><BR><i>Rae nodded then quickly stepped over to the table she had been seated at. She pulled back one of the wooden chairs, the legs scraping against the floor, to reveal a sheathed sword lying on a folded cloak. She lifted the sword and attatched it to the leather belt around her waist, situating it to fit her comfort. Rae grasped her cloak and walked back over to the company at the table.</i><BR><BR><i>Absentmindedly looking at the floor, she pulled her cloak over her shoulders and was beginning to clasp it around her neck, when a female voice broke through her thoughts. </i><BR><BR><u>"By the way, my name is Brina."</u><BR><BR><i>Rae looked up at the woman who had addressed her, noting that she seemed a little distant..thoughtful. Rae smirked inside herself; from her appearance, Rae could judge that this woman was no fool. She extended a half-gloved hand to the woman and smiled.</i><BR><BR>"Raelin. It's a pleasure."
User avatar
*Sadrien*Elvenhalf*
Ranger of the North

 
Posts: 1669
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2002 3:09 pm
Top

Postby Teleri123 » Fri Dec 19, 2003 9:13 pm

Brina shook hands with the woman as she introduced herself. "Raelin is her name..." She thought to herself. Then she turned to the others. "I'm going to wait outside."<BR><BR>She walked outside. Feeling the cool air, she took a deep breath and looked to the sky. It was its usual velvet with the stars shining. She faintly heard the talk of everyone inside.<BR><BR><BR>She thought to herself. "Am i ready for another trip? Another journey? All the risks?...Of course i am. I take those risks all the time. This will not be the first or last time i travel with a quest in mind. That incident was just a mistake...a horrible mistake...that could have killed me, but i can't think of that now..."<BR>
User avatar
Teleri123
Shield Bearer

 
Posts: 368
Joined: Sun May 19, 2002 1:29 pm
Top

Postby Morphobia » Thu Dec 25, 2003 2:12 am

The hood of the cloak did little to keep the wind out of his face. He felt the bite of it, the chill of the winds that were only a taste of the winter to come. Winter was not far – a couple of weeks at most, before the hard ground frosted over and the waters turned to ice, before the animals began their hibernation and the birds their migration. Already the odd snowflake could be seen drifting to the ground. It was not every day it snowed. And his outfit was not made to keep out late autumn’s chill. The woolen cloak he pulled around himself did little more than provide him a layer of warmth over skin and bones, or what was left of him after a hard autumn. The gods, if there were any, did not choose to shine their favor on him this year.<BR><BR>Sighing, he turned to lean against the warm outer brick wall of a tavern, half-closing his eyes as he folded his arms across his chest. There was a soft flutter of wings; a young peregrine falcon alighted from flight onto his shoulder. A wan smile crossed his young face. “You’re late, you know,” he softly chided the bird. The falcon preened herself, as if saying, ‘Of course I am.’ He stroked her chin gently, before reaching for the piece of parchment that was tied around her leg.<BR><BR>“Chip,” it read,<BR>“It has been a while since you last look me up. Have you forsaken our bond of friendship, and turn to me only in times of dire need? Do you remember, young lad, the days we traveled together as wanderers? Of course, I hear you still wander around even after I have settled. Were we not the closest of friends?<BR>“My family is in hard times now, Chip. It is winter, and I have children and a wife to feed. The crops will not grow now, the sheep graze, nor any flower blossom. Not only that, I have to search for my step-daughter, Alastriel. You two have met before. She has run away, I fear, telling me she was in search of adventure. I hope that the fates and seasons will be kind to her. As such, I cannot spare you the money you requested. Are you not a master thief, as I thought you were? Will you not find your own way out? Or, maybe, will it not be better to get your bird to hunt game for you?<BR>“I am sorry but I cannot help you. Not this time.<BR>“Kaern”<BR><BR>He crumpled up the piece of paper in his freezing hands. It was Kaern, not him, who had forsaken their bond of friendship. What game could he find in such harsh weather? Maybe the creature behind schedule for hibernation, fish from the lake that had yet to frost over, berries from the leafless trees that the birds had not yet got to, a bird late in migration? What nonsense, what ridicule?<BR><BR>Everywhere was signs of the coming winter. Not a bird’s call broke the silence, not the sound of a child’s laughter rode on the chilling breeze. He cursed Kaern, and his stupidity for not settling with the man when he had the chance to. Now he had to stick it out in the winter lands, freezing beneath his thin cloak. But that was already past.<BR><BR>His keen ears caught a sound, and he turned slightly, peeking out from under his hood. A girl, he realized. What Kaern wrote to him wasn’t totally nonsense after all. A girl, coming out of the inn, probably with a light money pouch that she wouldn’t notice go missing. For the first time in a long while, he grinned slightly. He pulled out his short knife and prepared to go to work.
User avatar
Morphobia
Rider of the Mark

 
Posts: 691
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2002 10:28 pm
Top

Postby Elf*Moon*Forest » Fri Dec 26, 2003 11:10 am

Nare stood soon after Brina ad left. <BR> "I need a breath of fresh air as well. Is anyone going to follow?"<BR> All stared, and shook their heads in polite refusal. The door clattered shut behind her, and the group remaining inside began at once to chatter.<BR>~~~*<BR><BR> The air outside was colder, and her cloak was not well equipped for the weather; her cape made of wool was somwhere in the next country. Brina stood with her back against a nearby oak, twirling a hair pin in her fingers.<BR><BR> "Watch out!" Nare called, sprinting toward her.<BR> Before the younger girl realized what was happening, Nare had pulled her behind herself and stayed a man with keen eyes and a sharp face with her sword. He slowly backed up a step and resheathed his knife.<BR> Nare immediately punched him down and held him to the now snow dusted dirt of the road with her foot. He stared up at her calmly, bright eyes darting from one woman to the other. <BR> "Who are you, attacking a poor girl like that?" Nare inquired with a vehemence.<BR> She allowed him to stand up and dust himself off.<BR> "Falcon." He said slowly.<BR><BR> Somewhere in the distance, a carrion-bird cried.
User avatar
Elf*Moon*Forest
Ranger of the North
 
Posts: 1009
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2002 7:50 am
Location: The Havens
Top

Postby Morphobia » Fri Dec 26, 2003 10:57 pm

At first, the sudden appearence of this new girl had startled him, but he knew enough not to show his suprise. He did not wince as the girl connected her fist with his stomach, which already felt empty and weak. And watch as she inquired his name. He had thought of giving her his real name, but decided against it. She might not trust him anyway.<BR><BR>"Falcon," he decided, almost slowly as he drew out the name, liking the way it rolled on his tongue. For years he had shared a strange bond with these birds; why should he not take their name as well, and make himself one of them?<BR>Gently but firmly he removed the girl's foot from his chest. He stood up and dusted himself off. "I was not attacking your friend, as you said," he explained, although he thought that she did not want to hear any explainations at the time. "Indeed, I had no intention of harming such a pretty young lady. I am a wayfaring traveller, going where the winds take me. I have run out of money, which is essential for survival, and thought that her moneypouch would be of some use in my hands."<BR>"You are a thief, then," the first girl queried.<BR>"You could say that, yes." He turned to face the other girl, the one who had so conveniently put his back to the ground. "What are your names, then? Be sure that I will not forget you, if we are to part ways here."<BR>There was a short pause as the two women considered him. The first girl nodded, and his attacker cleared her throat. "I am called Nare, and this is Brina."<BR>He nodded. "Brina, that is indeed a nice name."<BR>"And you have such a honeyed tongue," she replied dryly.<BR>"It works for me, yes," he smiled, before assuming his stance, back against the wall. The back of his coat was damp from the snow, the chill beginning to set in. He shivered, turning to face the building opposite the inn.<BR>"Come in, then. The weather is frightfully cold." He turned to see Brina motioning for him to enter.<BR>"But I have no money. They will not let me sit by their fire if I do not buy anything."<BR>"Well, then, you must be hungry too. Come, and we'll see if we can't do something about that." Brina left him without a second glance. He smiled, a slight curving of the corners of his mouth. And turned his gaze up.<BR><BR>In the oak tree, the falcon perched, giving him a look that said, 'One of us now?' He smiled again. "Yes, one of you." It seemed nice to have a family of sorts. "Stay there, little feathered one. I'll be right with you."
User avatar
Morphobia
Rider of the Mark

 
Posts: 691
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2002 10:28 pm
Top

Postby Teleri123 » Sun Dec 28, 2003 7:42 pm

Brina started walking back toward the inn. "He says he had no intention of taking my life, only wanting my money…which I believe, and that he is a thief. A good one i might say, I would not have seen him if it weren’t for Nare…but…Falcon he says his name is...that I do not believe.”<BR><BR>Wanting Nare and Falcon to catch up, Brina turned around and saw Nare walking toward her and Falcon just turning from a tree. The tree she had been leaning on. She looked into the branches, she faintly saw a falcon. She moved her gaze back to Falcon, who was walking next to Nare. “He is hiding something.” She waited for the two of them to catch up, and walked silently beside them back into the inn.<BR>
User avatar
Teleri123
Shield Bearer

 
Posts: 368
Joined: Sun May 19, 2002 1:29 pm
Top

Postby *Sadrien*Elvenhalf* » Tue Dec 30, 2003 1:27 pm

<i>Brina and Nare had taken their leave of the inn, leaving Raelin and Jakkin at the table.</i><BR><BR><i>A feeling of uncomfort breezed over her and she swallowed. Jakkin had the same appearance of another man Raelin had once known..had once trusted..</i><BR><BR><i>Clearing her throat a little and telling herself to forget the past, Rae pulled back one of the wooden chairs and took a seat. She needed to relax and open up. She had been too tense from the beginning and she needed to learn how to trust again.</i><BR><BR><i>From her seat, she could see a golden signet ring upon Jakkin's finger, the designs of a red dragon and a black raven etched into it. Supposedly, this ring had some connection with the harp, but the connection was unknown to Raelin. Glancing up at Jakkin, she had just opened her mouth to ask of the ring's significance, when the sound of the inn doors opening caught her attention. Closing her mouth, she twisted around in her chair and looked towards the door. Brina entered first, followed closely by Nare.</i><BR><BR>~Odd..They look shaken.~<BR><BR><i>And then, Rae caught the sight of another figure enter behind them, a young man, tall and thin, with sandy brown hair and dark eyes. Out of instinct, Raelin's hand moved from the table and to the hilt of her sword. Something wasn't right about this boy..</i><BR><BR><i>Keeping her hand on her sword, she stood and faced Brina and the others. Nodding towards the young man, she asked,</i><BR><BR>"And who might this be?"<BR><BR>
User avatar
*Sadrien*Elvenhalf*
Ranger of the North

 
Posts: 1669
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2002 3:09 pm
Top

Postby Elf*Moon*Forest » Wed Dec 31, 2003 2:49 pm

<i>And who might this be?</i><BR><BR> Nare gave the man a wary glare. He bowed hastily, murmured 'Falcon', and stood with as little movement as Nare and Brina would allow.<BR><BR> "He's coming with us. At least, that's what he said." Nare stated curtly. She gave the man a sardonic smile. "Am I correct in my assumptions?" She inquired.<i>He was not to be trusted. Not yet, at least.</i>
User avatar
Elf*Moon*Forest
Ranger of the North
 
Posts: 1009
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2002 7:50 am
Location: The Havens
Top

Postby Darklon » Thu Jan 01, 2004 3:03 pm

The day was snowy sun already hide behind the horizon when Alverin approached something that ressembled a human village ...<BR><BR>" I guess that is how it looks like ... the human world in it's fullest " Thought young elf and gazed at the city from the distance ... with her keen eyes she could spot guards here and there, people wondering around the streets, beggars bothering people for few coins ... the city was so alive .<BR><BR>Approaching the city gates she put on her cloak and hood to cover her face, her master taught her that humans might not like her heritage .<BR><BR>" Stop it who goes in here , reveal your true nature " she heard a voice coming from behind, it was one of the guards that woke up while she passed them .<BR><BR>Alvarin stopped as the man commanded then turned around to face the guard and took of her hood ... The guard was astonished his eyes narrowed in surprise and to examine every detail of Elf ...<BR><BR>" A dark elf ... in here ? what do you want from us you dog spawn , surelly nothing good "<BR><BR>Alvarin normally would kill the man for such an insult but long years spent in the elven village taught her to be more calm more understanding ... she gazed into the man eyes as if trying to pierce him with her eyes ... " I'm Alvarin I come in peace and mean you no harm " <BR><BR>" No harm you say we shall see about that ... " said the guard and tilted his halaberd toward the elf but to his surprise she didn't even moved one bit ... the guard swung his halaberd in fornt of her face but the result was the same she didn't even moved ...<BR><BR>" You wretched dog MOVE " yelled the guard and swung his halaberd this time trying to hit Alvarin . Alvarin avoided the halaberd and wws now standing behind the guard with two short swords in her hands .<BR><BR>" As I said before and I will not say again I come in peace and mean you no harm " <BR><BR>But the words seemed empty to the enraged guard at this time he took another swung and the elf . Alvarin jumped to the side and swung one of her swords at the handle of the halaberd breaking it in half ...<BR><BR>" Now let me be before this get's out of hand " she said in a voice as calm as whisper of the grass swept by the summer wind .<BR><BR>The guard looked at his broken weapon then at the elf and unsheathed his sword " now you are going to die " <BR><BR>" Stop your actions Telebrek " said the voice on the walls ... the guard stopped momentally " Lord Kasan " said the gaurd and bowed .<BR><BR>Alvarin looked up and saw a young man in a very well made ornamented armor carrying ring with insignia of this town ... she bowed as well <BR><BR>" You there elven women , go into my town as you please , the guards shall not bother you no more " the he paused for a second " but if you start causing troubles we shall make sure you will pay with your life for them " <BR><BR>Although Alvarin didn't like the tone of his voice nor the way she was treated in the first city she visited she thought not all humans are like this ... " Thank you kind sir you shall have no troubles from my side " she said and walked into the city ...<BR><BR>The first thing she saw was an Inn located right next to the gate.<BR><BR>" I guess I can get a room in there with something to eat " she thought and headed toward the inn ...<BR><BR>Upon entering the inn she noticed that many people had gathered inside the inn treating it as an escape place from the outside cold ... many travelers and townfolks were sitting at the tables swapping stories and sipping ale . Finally she found an empty table in the darkest corner of the room ... nobody wanted to sit there because the candle light was so dim there that it was hard to see anything happening in the inn for normall people ... but for Alvarin it was perfect spot " not been seen and see them all " she thought and headed toward the table.<BR><BR>Soon after one of the waitresses approached her " what can I get you "<BR>without even looking up still wearing her cloak and hood Alvarin answered " something to warm my body and make my stomach full ". Couple of minutes later she was eating a very well made soup. <BR><BR>After finishing her meal she decided to just sit in here and observe human behavior which to her seemed so different from the ways elves of her own people behaved ... drinking, getting into fights and mistreating eachother wasn't really something that her mentor nor any other elf would do but somehow that kind of behavior interested her ... she was lost in her thoughts of her past and of what yet had to come when the door to the tavern opend, three people walked in two of them obvioulsy shaken a bit as if something had happend and third one looking kind of scared at the same time interested and proud ... all the newcomers took their seat on the opposite side of the room from Alvarin but she still could see them very well ...<BR><BR>And when she spotted one of them grasping the handle of the sword Alvarin knew that something major was about to happen ... she grasped her swords as well and waited in the corner for the situation to develop but to her surprise nothing happend except one of the people that were already in the tavern for the long time stood up said <BR><BR>"And who might this be? "<BR><BR>'Falcon' said the man with a slight bow <BR><BR>"He's coming with us. At least, that's what he said."<BR>"Am I correct in my assumptions?"<BR>said the other one of the two people standing next to falcon .<BR><BR>This whole situation would seem normall if Alvarin wouldn't spot the <BR>golden signet ring upon one of the newcomers finger, the designs of a red dragon and a black raven etched into it. The ring seemed to have some kind of power , magic power for sure as the elves especially dark ones had been trained to detect those things ... it amused Alvarin the sculpture was perfect and the ring seemed to be very old ...<BR><BR>Alvarin stood up and walked toward the group ... with slight bow not taking her hood off she said " I happen to notice your ring ... I wonder if I could inquire as to where did you get it from and if you would be willing to sell it " she awaited for the asnwer as the rest of the group looked a little bit shocked by her presence ...
User avatar
Darklon
Rider of the Mark

 
Posts: 823
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2002 6:42 pm
Top

Next

Return to Role Playing: The Green Dragon Inn (Tolkien-Influenced Fantasy)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest