Gathering of Warriors: Search for the Harp

This forum is for role-playing within settings that influenced Tolkien (non-Middle-earth). Acceptable styles include for Celtic, Norse, Kalevala, Arthurian, and Anglo-Saxon.

Who is your favorite character out of Search for the Harp?

Nare
No votes
Brina
No votes
Cali
No votes
Elias
50%
Larys
No votes
Thor
50%

Total votes : 2

Postby Teleri123 » Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:37 am

After Brina had finished packing, she cleaned herself up and realized it was about an hour or so after midday, and therefore time to leave Viornos. She told everyone it was time to go, and went out to pack up her horse and make sure everything was alright. When she arrived at the stables, she found Cali riding around on one of the older horses, Kent. Laughing, she caught Cali's attention and motioned for her to come over.

"What's going on?" Cali asked as she got off Kent.

"We're leaving." Brina replied. "So you'd better get your things and give Kent a few minutes to rest." Cali laughed.

"Alright then. I'll be right back." She said, walking back toward their rooms. After Cali was out of sight, Brina walked over to the rest of the horses. She spotted a beautiful grey horse with a pure white mane and tail and laughed.

"Hello Skye." She said as she ran her fingers through the horse's mane. The horse shook its head and brushed it's nose at Brina. "Yes, I've missed you too. It's only been a couple months since I last saw you." The horse stamped it's feet. "Alright I get it. But I need you to come with me, alright girl?" The horse ninnied(sp). "Good." Brina packed Skye up and waited patiently for the others to arrive.
Teleri123
Shield Bearer

Postby Teleri123 » Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:24 pm

After a few minutes of waiting, Brina saw the rest of her company arrive. Brina smiled.

"Ready to go?" She asked.

"Almost. Just need to pack up." Nare replied. Alverin looked at the horses.

"Are these for us?" She asked.

"Yes, the Lord and Lady were so kind as to give them to us." Brina said. "Speaking of which, here they come." The Lord and Lady were walking over toward them along with a few guards.

"As you can see, you have horses with one specifically for the halfing." The Lord said. "We also have your food supplies." He looked to the guards, who brought over packs and laid them down.

"Thank you, my Lord." Brina said, bowing with the rest of the group. "We will do our best to find out anything we can."

"Thank you. Your help is very important to us." The Lady said, smiling. "Now, we must go. May your trip be blessed." Both the Lord and Lady nodded slightly and left, followed by the guards.

"Well," Brina said grabbing one of the packs. "Let's get going, shall we?" They packed up their horses and set out.

"So," Tass said after some time riding. "How long is it to these cities?"

"Should be about two days." Brina said thoughtfully. "But there is something else on my mind." She paused. "Since we now know where to start in our search for the Harp, what do we do? We came to Viornos to get informatin and now we're going to Dumar and Gien for the Lord and Lady, but what about afterword? The whole point of this quest was to help Nare find the Harp. The Lord and Lady may want us to continue working with them."

Brina then went quiet and looked up at the stars, waiting for an answer.
Teleri123
Shield Bearer

Postby Elf*Moon*Forest » Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:24 pm

Nare looked up at Brina. The grey mare below her snorted, dainty hooves marking crescent moons in the road. "I wouldn't worry love," She said reassuringly, "We have all the time we need . . . as long as he doesn't come back . . ."

Brina nodded, understanding perfectly what she meant. Nare smiled in the moonlight, before silently turning her horse into the trees to her left. Miraculously, the pine needles littering the floor made no sound.

The road was silent; she had been in the rear so that no one would notice when she decided to leave. The silver river of light streamed down over her between the branches, dappling her pale skin like light seen through water. The night was waiting for something, just as she herself was. Waiting for an answer from herself.

She neither saw nor heard the figure cloaked in black upon a smaller horse step into the road, nor sense the hand which slipped in front of her to clamp down on her mouth. Her eyes widened, and the grey mare whinnied quietly, sidestepping as Nare’s captor moved his horse around to look her in the face. The deep hood hid his face from view, and she glared into the black defiantly. Abandoning the reigns completely, she wrenched the white hand away.

“What do you think you’re doing?” She whispered vehemently, ripping the hood from his head. “Are you trying to have Cali find you out?”

Elias looked at her and laughed. He rubbed his neck with his hand, teeth a hoary blue in the moon. Cheeks flushed, he leaned in to give her a reluctant hug. She smiled, turning her mare toward the pinprick stars of Viornos’ bonfires.

Elias urged his stallion forward a step or two to block her path. “Why are you going that way?” He asked, gentle eyes probing for an answer. “Turn around.”

Nare smiled again, pulling her mare to a halt. “I’m going back with you. I want to make sure you arrive home safe. Besides, I can easily catch up to them in a day.”

Elias looked flustered, then chuckled and hung his head. “There’s no need to go back. I’m coming too.”

Her eyes widened, and she gasped slightly. A grin graced her face. “Are you joking?”

Elias nodded.

She jumped off immediately, pulling Elias as well, and enveloped him in a tight embrace.

“Thank you . . .”

Quietly beneath the moon the two made their way up the road, back towards their friends and their journey. Slowly, Viornos faded behind them, as the sea rose before.

The moon would be their guardian through the night.
Elf*Moon*Forest
Ranger of the North

Postby Iavasel » Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:54 pm

Elias walked with his arm resting lightly on the small of Nare's back. He regarded the top of her dark head seriously, delighting in how she seemed to flow around him, her head fitting perfectly into the curve of his shouler. He watched her face in the moonlight. Her face had lost its sharpness, and it bore a look of quiet rest that he had never seen before. The muscles around her nose and mouth had relaxed. He thought warmly of ancient stories his mother had once told him, and she seemed to him like some ancient queen trapped in a world that had lept forward with her, leaving everything she knew behind. How he was strangely paired with her he didn't know. Next to her slight elegant form he felt especially large and rough. His blacksmiths hands were so different from her pale, blue-veined lady's ones. She was to him, alternately this queen and a small, fragile bird to be held in one palm.

When they rejoined the group they were met by a few surprised but subdued greetings. The night seemed to have imposed on everyone a certain stillness.

Everyone except Cali. Cali, shaking off the stillness in the air as something she didn't recognize, and no longer worrying about Elias, as she assumed that he was safely home by now (though missing Thor a bit) had upon seeing the first glimmer of the sea in the distance, decided to try Kent's paces by racing to it, her exuberant yells rippling through the night air.

Elias, anxious about what his sister would say was glad of the distraction and hoped he could keep some space between then until they were actually at sea and it would be too late for her to send him (or accompany him, because he was sure she wouldn't trust him now) home.
Iavasel
Ranger of the North

Postby Elf*Moon*Forest » Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:35 am

The came upon the rest of the group huddled about a tiny, flickering fire. Nare turned to her companion as they came into view of the campsite.

"Stay a bit behind me," she said quietly. "I don't need Cali throwing rocks at us."

She stepped into the light gracefully, staring down at her friends with calm eyes. "I'm back."

Cali and Brina rose immediately. "Where have you been?!" They shouted together. Nare winced. Fingering her skirt, she kneeled down silently next to Kent.

Cali huffed and crossed her arms, nudging the dirt by the fire with her toe. "You shouldn't do that again, you know. It's dark out, and we don't really know where we are, and you're rather essential to this whole business, so . . ." She scowled, sighing.

Nare kept her eyes down, afraid to let them know that Elias was trying his best to keep quiet as a mosquito the size of his shoe flew directly at his head. He tottered and fell over into a bush, making quite a racket and ensuring that Cali shot up fast as lightning. She kept a hand on her sword.

"What was that?" She mouthed.

Nare squinted her eyes shut as Elias sheepishly dragged himself out of the brambles. He grinned, cheeks flaming red and looking as though he'd just been slapped for no reason at all.

Cali's cheek twitched. She sat down slowly, her head buried in her hands.

"Why do you never listen . . ." She moaned.

Elias pouted at the ground. Nare stood up and held out a hand. He took it tentatively.

"It's my fault, Cali." She whispered. "Don't be angry with him."
Elf*Moon*Forest
Ranger of the North

Postby Iavasel » Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:03 pm

Cali's eyebrows shot up. "She takes blame for it?" She nearly yelped. She was still looking at Elias. She was indignant and a bit peeved. She tried once to look at Nare but her gaze of her own accord slid swiftly away to light on Elias instead. Cali simply could not yell at someone like Nare. Beautiful, regal, almost erethral, Cali may as well have tried to yell at an angel or a queen or something else so far out of her reach.

Her younger brother, however, was something else. Their mother being but a blurry image and their father lost several years ago, Cali had been not only a rogueish older sister, but also a tough and jovial parent as well. Her brother, though at least half a head taller than she was, several times broader and probably able to pin her in place with one of his great blacksmith's hands, was still her baby brother.

Though she didn't think about it this way herself, besides Thor, Elias was about all the company she had. She and Thor were frequently on the road together, and it was often the thought of Elias working hard at his anvil or resting by the fire with some sad sweet book or other that kept her anchored safely and drew her back now and then to that small, simple house. Where, in the dead of winter when it was simply too cold to be on any "financial excursions", she would sit and harass some languid tabby by the hearth and pretended not to listen but secretly drink in every word that he let fall from the book he was reading.

That was Elias' office. To work hard, to stay simple and honest, to rest easily and live long and unharmed so that he would always be there in the evenings when she thought back to him.

Calid recognized Elias' stance. It was the one that clearly expressed how childish he thought she was being. His face was relaxed with slightly lifted eyebrows and his head tilted to one side. His great arms were crossed in front of him. He was listening, but he was waiting to ride it out. It was similar to the one her father had given her when she was being unreasonable, but Elias' was slightly different. There was not the light patient smile her father wore about his lips, but just an intense calm and patience to hear what Calid had to say and then to counter it.

Usually that look calmed her. She saw something in it that stopped her and made her give in. But now, it only made her angrier. She had every right to be angry! It was he that was being unreasonable!

"You! You will go home!" She told him. "You! She! --" Here she made an unintelligable noise. "You are my brother and my younger brother and you will take Thor home and get back to your work because you have to and besides Martha would be worried and I will stay on here because - because" she faltered, she didn't know why it was right that she should stay and he should leave, but somehow it was "because they saved me from the faeries (and you too) and I said I would and - and that is that!"

"Cali?"

Cali jerked her head up to look at Elias in the face, having to tilt her head back to do so.

Elias shook his head just a small bit. "Oh, my sweet Cali" he sighed, wrapping her in a hug that made her look tiny, both because of his stature and the air of great patience and love that he answered her wide-eyed quaking with, looking, as often happened, very much older than her. She stood dumbly for a moment and then began to cry into him, his brown, softly curling hair glinting golden in the firelight giving way to her longer and more unruly waves gleaming somewhat red.

After a moment she pushed away and slapped him powerfully across the face in a move that made her stagger a bit and burst more vehemently into tears.

Hugging herself tight, she walked measured, tear-blinded steps into the night. Where she gave over completely to her failure of loosing a fight she had desperately not wanted to lose.

Back around the fire, sympathetic and uncertain glances were cast both in Elias' direction and that which Cali had stalked off. Elias gave a half smile of assurance. He patted Kent and leaned his cheek briefly on Nare's. He walked slowly into the dark close to where Cali had gone but not quite, and unbeknownst to both of them, went through several of the same thoughts and actions that she passed through, close by, but seperated by trees and dark.
Iavasel
Ranger of the North

Postby Elf*Moon*Forest » Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:47 pm

Nare stood silently as Elias made his way into the wood. Brina noticed that her eyes were shimmering in a fashion that only the fairy and Elias were truly familiar with. Dusting off her knees, the sorceress stepped past the fire toward where Cali sat, staring blankly at the trees that surrounded them. Tears stained her face, and her childish features trembled as her eyelashes shook with the violent tremors of a sob. Cali jumped slightly as arms wrapped around her shoulders.

"I'm so sorry, Cali." Nare whispered, lips quivering as she suppressed a whimper. She buried her face in the other’s back, not caring that her tears might freeze in the girl’s hair. Cali gripped her fingers and sighed heavily, eyelids fluttering as she opened them. She pulled Nare’s arms off her and turned around, a smile failing to make its way across her face; so much as she willed it to.

“Maybe it’d be better for him if he came, you know? As punishment. We’ll make him carry everything and give the horses a rest.”

Nare jumped up, her eyes wide. “Cali,” she whispered, “Are you serious?”

She clenched her lips together to keep from crying and nodded. A tiny, nearly imperceptible wag of the head; but it was there.

“Ohh, thank you!!!” The elf jumped up and squished the younger girl to her in a tight hug. Cali patted her back comfortingly as she started bawling again.
Elf*Moon*Forest
Ranger of the North

Postby Iavasel » Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:28 pm

Calid had indeed meant what she said. She was frustrated and anxious about it, but Elias was planted hard and she knew it. It was either allow him to come or wonder how far behind them he was riding, since if she told him to go home he would surely feign to turn in that direction and then follow behind. With the type of people she was with, she was sure that him following would either draw attention, or that one in the group would feel him behind them and lash out before they knew it was him.

She also meant the part about punishment as well. Though Elias was set on coming, she was just as intent on showing how much she disapproved. She would give him trouble every chance she could, for a while. She didn't hold grudges long and a day or two would probably wear out her annoyance with him.

Perhaps, she also thought, Nare could protect Elias better than she could. She hoped so at least. As long as Nare didn't go nuts on him or anything. Cali cast a silent glance at Nare and then at Brina. Well, one of them should be able to do it.

She twisted the ring she wore, looking first at the raven and fox on the top, then reading the inscription on the inside to herself. She sighed and slipped it back on her finger.

One very big thing, however, still gnawed at her. "Nare" she said quietly, watching how the ring glinted in the firelight. "Elias can't fight. Not even a little bit. He's weilded a sword only once in his life, when he was 10. He's never done it again." She spread her hands wide and shrugged. "He's coming, we both know that, but, I just don't know -" the rest of the sentence had actually been how he's going to stay alive, but she cut that off in time and finished with "how he will defend himself. I can fight a bit" she continued "nothing wonderful, but passably. I can teach him to shoot and to swing a sword around, but until that time - well, I just hope nothing comes after us."

The breath Nare hadn't realized she was holding wooshed out of her when Cali fell silent. She suddenly realized something of why Cali had wanted to keep her brother at home. The realization left her with nothing to say. She nodded heavily, knowing that anything of "He'll be alright" would be inadequate or anything like "we'll look out for him" was already something Cali counted on and fiercely but silently demanded.

Cali's crying had subsided. It still hit her in little fits and bursts, but the constant stream had dammed itself. She gave Nare a long hug and a quick sisterly kiss on the cheek. Nodding as if to some internal dialogue, she then held Nare at arms length for a moment. She nodded again, looking at her.

"Alright, I'll go find him. Give us a moment though, alright?"

She found him easily, in a small clearing, just as she knew he would be, measuring out a starry refuge. His head thrust back, a large, dark form with a faint silver outline. He heard her but gave no sign. He had no idea how she would greet him. He was steeled for another fight, and so it took him a moment to thaw when she put one hand on his back and leaned her head on his arm.

She looked up with him into the sky above. "Look at you so silly." She told him. He waited, not sure if this was a new approach to trying to reason him into going home. "And all over a girl."

He pulled away and saw her smiling faintly at him in a resigned way.

She shook her head at him and dropped her gaze. "Elias. I meant what I said. I'm not sorry about it, I don't want you coming." She held up a hand to stay any protestation of his. He obediantly stayed quiet. "I worry about you and you worry about me and neither of us can help it, but I guess we're both too involved to go back."

Elias nodded silently. He turned to the stars again. "Which one is that, Cali?" He asked, pointing to a small, oddly shaped constellation.

Cali looked up for a moment. "It's Thor" she told him.

"You're a liar" he chuckled.

Cali shrugged. "Looks like Thor to me." She grinned, a pale reflection of her usual expression but a grin all the same. She punched him on his broad chest and Elias dropped an arm around her bony shoulders as they turned in mutual agreement and headed for the fire again.

Yn anad cig caru halen
he told her.

"I know." She replied. "Me too. It's why I worry about you so much."

Elias snorted. "Worry about me." He repeated.

She punched him again.

Nare was wearing gave them an anxious look when they returned to camp, which she dropped when she saw there was no need for it by the smiles that both of them gave her.
Iavasel
Ranger of the North

Postby Elf*Moon*Forest » Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:44 pm

The maiden sat, quietly contemplating the flames that danced in her vision. With a resolute blaze in her eyes, she stood and pressed her hand to Elias' broad chest.

"Take it, and keep it." She whispered, nearly vehemently.

A trickle of blood was making it's way warmly down her neck, she could feel it; and as she removed her tiny fingers from what she held, Elias' hand moved to replace it.

The stone in his fingers glinted in the firelight, its own fire dimming the reflection of flames cast upon its shell.

"But. . ." He was cut short by the girl's forehead pressing into his shoulder.

"Don't say anything. Just take it. I'll show you how to use it in the morning."

He clenched it in his hand as though it would disappear, and her along with it.
Last edited by Elf*Moon*Forest on Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elf*Moon*Forest
Ranger of the North

Postby Teleri123 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:51 pm

During her travels, Brina had become quite observant. She picked up on things easily, and used them to her, or her company's advantage. That night, she noticed things. Well, mainly one thing. She took one long glance at Nare and realized there was something there that hadn't been for a long time. Nows not the best time to interfere Brina said to herself. She took out a map, and began studying it, though, from the corner of her eye she watched what was going on.

From what Brina heard, Elias was staying and he didn't know how to defend himself. Brina kept her head down as she felt the eyes of who she assumed were Cali's upon for a fraction of a second. Smiling to herself, Brina could tell things were going to get interesting. More than they already had.

After things quieted down a bit, and everyone was sitting around the fire, Brina finally put the map away and looked up. Just about everyone was sleeping save for Nare. Brina smiled and moved to where Nare was.

"How're you holding up?" She asked, putting Nare's blanket more around her. Nare returned the gesture with a small smile.

"Better." She said, glancing at Brina. "And you? How have you been?"

"Oh, I'm as good as I'll ever be." Brina replied, pulling her own cloak tighter around her. She turned to look at the stars. "I suppose you've found some happiness," Brina commented, looking at Elias. "I'm happy for you. You deserve it." Nare looked as though she wanted to say something, but decided better of it. The two sat in silence for what seemed like eternity until slowly they fell asleep.
Teleri123
Shield Bearer

Postby Iavasel » Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:09 pm

The theif instinct in Cali woke her early, and she opened her eyes to briefly glance about the camp, and deciding that everything was as it should be. Satisfied, and too lazy to even shift her position, Cali closed her eyes after her inspection and allowed sleep to wash over her again.

Except it didn't. Cali yawned in defiance of the morning light and gave a small sigh of sleepiness, but still nothing. Slightly irritated at whatever it was that wouldn't let her sleep, she sat up instead.

She looked around, but nothing needed to be done. She was traveling with careful people that were clean and precise in their preparations. The horses were cared for, the remains of the fire were glowing faintly in a well made pit, the camp was clean, and she had nothing to do.

They had not been out faerie kingdom long, and so they were still relatively well put together. Clean, well fed. Nare's expression was far more relaxed than Cali had seen it before, even in sleep. Brina's hair gleamed faintly in the morning light but her face was turned from Cali.

Elias had removed himself a bit from the women, his ideas of respect for their space being not at all relaxed and perhaps even a bit more strict with all of them sleeping so close anyway. He lay wrapped in his cloak on the opposite side of the fire. One hand stretched away from his body and ended in a loose fist. The morning sun hit his hand and made something in it gleam faintly.

Cali quickly cast a glance at the others to be sure they were asleep and stole closer to Elias. She checked his face frequently for clues that he might be waking and inched closer to his hand. Closer study revealed nothing else, much to her disappointment, except that whatever it was was easily engulfed by Elias' hand (truly, they were large hands and this was not so much a helpful observation by itself) and that it's surface was somewhat shiny.

Cali checked the position of the sun and deemed that the others would be stirring soon, and so that they would have no excuse to miss breakfast she decided to have firewood ready for them when they did awake. She scratched something in the dirt beside Elias' hand, a little code that they had worked out years earlier when the two of them had gone camping in the hills near home. Happy he would not worry, she rose quietly so as not to disturb them, and breathing deeply of the morning air went on her humble mission.
Iavasel
Ranger of the North

Postby Teleri123 » Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:33 pm

When the sun reached Brina's face, she was pulled from her sleep. She slowly opened her eyes, stretched and sat up. Everyone else was sleeping. At least, that was what Brina thought before she notcied Cali was not there. Realizing after a few moments that if Cali had been attacked there probably would have been some disturbance during the night and Cali had probably gone for firewood or something, Brina washed up and began to pack up her things. Soon enough Cali returned.

"Morning," Brina said quietly. Cali smiled and placed the firewood she had gotten next to the fire.

"Good morning." She replied looking around. "It appears we are the only ones awake."

"Yes, it would appear that way, wouldn't it?" Brina commented. "I'm sure it won't be long before they wake up. But to speed up the process, I'll make some breakfast." Grinning, Brina moved over toward the fire which at the moment was nothing but embers. "Thank you for the firewood by the way."

"It's no problem," Cali replied. "I had a feeling we would need it." She looked over to Brina. "Do you need some help?"

"Actually, I'd love some help. The soon we make the food, the sooner they'll wake up." Brina said, giggling.

It wasn't long before the scents of food cooking awoke their companions.
Teleri123
Shield Bearer

Postby Iavasel » Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:12 pm

The smell of breakfast woke Nare. A small thump on the head woke Elias. He sat up and shook his head at Cali. Sitting on the opposite side of the fire, Cali raised her eyebrows high and looked around innocently, but Elias noticed she had a small pile of pebbles and gravel beside her, and wondered if he had woken on the first one or whether she had been pelting them at him for some time now. He shook his head again.

"Don't shake your head at me." She told him. "Look who was up before you, AND got firewood AND helped make breakfast." She gave him a smug look and shoved a bowl his way.

He shoved whatever it was Nare had given him the night before deep in his pocket, resolving to secure it somewhere safer when Cali wasn't looking, but that was difficult as there was something uncanny about his sister that made her notice every bulging pocket, every glitter and every gleam (he of course not knowing that this was her theive's sense kicking in and taking note of potential valuble items and filing it away for further notice).

He sniffed his breakfast, which he did have to admit looked and smelled rather good, and wondered who had had the bigger hand in that, Cali or Brina.

Cali stretched her angly frame out and leaned on her bedroll, enjoying her breakfast. She looked lazily from Brina to Nare, either of whom she guessed she should look to for direction. "So, to the sea? Was that the discussion I remember? I was on boat once. I dunno if Thor will like it. Kent should be okay though, he looks like he's had his share of ocean. Elias might get sick though, he's never been off land."

Elias rolled his eyes at Nare. Brina suppressed a giggle. Cali's tongue was off and running again.
Iavasel
Ranger of the North

Postby Teleri123 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:41 am

Brina suppressed a giggle and grinned at Cali's comment. She took a sip of her drink and put her plate down.

"You know, Cali's right. We should figure out where we're going and what we're doing." She pulled out her map from her bag and examined it. "Right now we're going to Dumar and Gien to see if there's someone or something there looking for the Harp. It should take us a day or two to get there at most." Brina pointed out the cities on the map. "After that, I don't really know. We could head back to Viornos and tell the Lord and Lady what we found." She bit her lip. "But that would probably mean we'd stay there and continue working with them, which I'm not sure we really want to do. According to Nare, the poem takes us across The Sea of Aereth." She searched the map, and upon finding it, exposed the sea on the map. "The whole point of our quest was to find the Harp, and in my mind that's what we should do." Brina took her finger off the map and look up at her companions. "In all seriousness, if we worked with the Faeries and they got a hold of the Harp, I don't think they'd let us see it, let alone have it or use it. They'd most likely keep it for themselves."
Teleri123
Shield Bearer

Postby Teleri123 » Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:51 am

Hearing no replies from her companions, Brina sighed and put the map away.

"Alright", She said after a few moments. "I guess we'll figure that out later." She looked up to see dark clouds gathering in the sky. "We should get going if we want to reach the cities by evening. Not to mention it looks like rain."

They cleaned up the camp and continued on their way. Soon enough, it was raining. At first it was just a light rain, but as time went by it began to pour and it was difficult for Brina to figure out where they going. Eventually, Brina stopped walking and turned to the group.

"We should just stop here," She said pointing to a small cave. Going inside and checking for any unwanted visitors, Brina decided it was a good enough place until the rain stopped. She started up a fire, laid out some of her things to dry and sat down on her blanket, drawing symbols in the dirt with a stick she had found.
Teleri123
Shield Bearer

Postby Elf*Moon*Forest » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:58 am

l.
Last edited by Elf*Moon*Forest on Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elf*Moon*Forest
Ranger of the North

Postby Elf*Moon*Forest » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:58 am

Nare sat silently, her cloak rolled up in a messy bundle beside her and her face upturned to greet the swelling drops of rain that slid down her eyelids. Without turning her head, she squinted an eye open at Brina, sitting just inside the cave and drawing in the dirt with a stick.

"Those will wash away as soon as you've written them. This rain is coming in; we might have to keep moving if the water comes too far." A slight smile passed over her face, before she went back to feeling only the water wash over her.

The journey ahead of them would be a difficult one. Dumar and Gien would not be the problem; the Sea of Aereth that lay afterwards would. She had no idea of how well any of them knew how to navigate on open water, except for the fact that Brina had inherited an inate sense of the ocean, considering her ancestry. Cali seemed as though she would be a big help as long as she was told what to do, and when to do it . . .

As for Elias . . .

Maybe it would be for the best if he spent his time calming the horses on the first day or so.

Brina had been talking to her, and she hadn't even realized it.

"Once we get to Dumar, we should be able to pack up on supplies, have our weapons taken care of, and get some rest. It's about a day's ride from here. And Gien is right next to it, so we could go see the sights there if we wanted to. To take a break and get our minds off of this horrendous business for awhile." The faery squinted her eyes shut and grinned happily, before tracing figures in the ground with her stick again.

Nare feared for what might happen if Calid got her hands on some of the local 'attractions' . . . the picture in her mind of Cali dressed in something dreadfully exotic, with a jug of rum in her hands did not comfort her in the slightest. She giggled quietly, imagining Elias' face if he were to see his sister in that getup . . .

She spread her cloak out on the muddy ground with only her head outside of the cave and lay down, rain sliding from her hair into her ears and the crevices of her lips. The pathetically low fire behind her flickered feebly, before sleep took her.

Above all else, she felt confusion.

There were broad expanses of nothing, then a flash of grey or white, then nothing again. A bird that glowed in a silver gleam drifted down from the corner of her eye, before bursting into a thousand pieces, and showering the invisible ground with stepping stones of light. Narenial made her way slowly and cautiously across them, before suddenly finding herself flailing
in black and freezing water. She surfaced with a gasp, eyes wide and shocked to find an expanse of glowing blue ice before her, with the Nothing above and the Nothing below. She crawled out cautiously, and made to lean against an upright jag of glacier when pale, deep azure eyes flashed before her.

She reeled back in horror; for the slightest fraction of a second, she had thought they were Elias' eyes. Less than a moment later, Larys was walking towards her for a third time, the same manic grin twisting his features into something grotesque and horrible. Mouth frozen open in numbing fear, she tried to stumble backwards, to find her way back to the stepping stones and to where the dream had started. As she turned around, the familiar feeling of tears shed in the sake of hatred and disbelief burned her eyes.

She did not jump when he placed a hand on her shoulder, only trembled as she tried not to scream in fright. She was unable to move, yet she felt as though even had she had the luxury, her spirit would not have had the strength to will her to. His breath whispered slowly past her ear.

"You've brought this upon yourself, you know." He hissed, keeping his right hand on her shoulder as he pulled her chin around to face him with his left. "It
is your fault Terein died. That's what happens when you refuse me, my dear." He grinned, teeth seeming impossibly sharp in the dim light emanating from the ice. She didn't blink. She refused to blink. Instead, her eyes were drawn down in a furious glare. Tears trembled precariously on her eyelashes, as she spat her retort.

"How could I have ever loved you," she whispered vehemently, staring up at him with murder written in her eyes. He smiled slowly, perversely, before leaning so close to her that their noses were nearly touching.

"Ohh, my pet" he drawled slowly, and sighed. "It seems you're falling into that trap all over again, aren't you?"

Nare could only hope that he hadn't heard her teeth snap closed in surprise.

"Never did have much variety in lovers, did you, sweet?"

She finally allowed her eyes to close and the tears to spill down her cheeks. As soon as she did, his nails were at her throat.

Blood was spilling freely over her breasts and shoulders, and yet she acted as though she hadn't noticed. He grinned again, almost making a move to lick at the wound he'd made.

She jumped back and clutched a hand to her throat, eyes wider than they had ever been.

"I'm still after you . . . Not until you steal that ring back from that man you gave it to, and give it to me to put on that pretty finger of yours, I won't let you rest."

The auger gulped; Cali had the ring; she had taken it from Jakkin for safekeeping when she left. And even had she wanted to, Nare knew that she would never be able to take something from such a skilled thief as her absent-minded friend.

She shook her head, eyes still fixed on the thing in front of her. He smirked, licking the blood off his fingers with a deliberate glance at her neck.

"You've lost your charm, I see." He said quietly. "I suppose that beloved brother of yours isn't watching over you anymore. He's left you to me . . ."

The ice cracked, and
she fell over into the mud, hand splaying out to break the picture Brina had drawn.

She ran her fingers over the back of her neck . . . The blood had matted her hair and dried in ridges down her back and sides. Silently, she stood and made her way towards the faint glimmer of water shining through the trees.
Elf*Moon*Forest
Ranger of the North

Postby Teleri123 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:30 pm

Brina was brought back from her own thoughts when a hand hit her drawings and they looked like shattered glass. Looking up, she saw Nare walking through the pouring rain into the forest. Jumping up she ran after Nare. Upon reaching her, Brina saw blood on Nare, and to Nare's displeasure, brought her back to the cave.

"Let's move in deeper," She said to Cali and Elias, who were both looking startled at the sight of them walking back into the cave. "The rain's coming in. If we want to warm up, dry off and get at least a few minutes of rest, we need to move in deeper." She pulled Nare deeper into the cave, sat her down, and started wiping off the blood that stained her skin with a wet clothe. After calming Nare down, Brina made another fire that was stronger than the one before, and sat down in the direction of the exit.

For some reason Brina didn't feel like talking. She pulled a blanket around herself, obtained another stick and started drawing more symbols, trying to keep to herself as much as possible.

olc...maith...grian...gealach...rèalta...

Brina's father always used to say to her 'Brina, mo álainn rèalta, giuirléidí beidh bí sáraigh luaithe. Ná bíodh imní ort.'

Brina, my beautiful star, things will become better soon. Don't worry.

'Maybe they will...hopefully they will...for once.' Brina said to herself. She threw the stick into the fire, and laid down to fall asleep within a few minutes.
Teleri123
Shield Bearer

Postby Iavasel » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:10 pm

Cali, thinking always of comfort first, had removed her outer clothing and put it close to the fire to warm and dry, and watched the steam rising lazily from the fire. Stretched out on the hard packed Earth in her lazy half state, and her eyes dazzled by flames, what shapes could be read there felt almost prophetic, or the closest to prophetic Cali could feel. If she spoke that language or leaned more naturally to mystical things, she might have tried to read something in that mist, but as it was she happily strung together roughly formed outlines, much like squinting to see cloud animals in the summer.

After a bit she pulled her cloak from the hot stones on which it had rested and wrapped it around her. A bit damp still, but warm and smelling of earth, rain, woodsmoke and horses.

Danger was always a vague idea to Cali unless she was immediately faced with it. She hardly had any trace at all of the brooding, worrying nature that surfaced in Elias from time to time, and so wrapped in warmth, amoung good and capable friends and with a full stomach, she slept peacefully and well.

Elias held the corner of his coat in his fist and ran his thumb meditatively over the small bulge there. He thought it safe as possible there, where it might not fall out accidentally or be easily discovered by his inquisitive sister. He of course did not know that this same instinct ran strong in Cali, and that the linings of things was wear she was accoustemed to keep anything that she valued and did not want found. If she applied herself to the question, it was sure that she could locate it after relatively little error. But Elias was unaware of that.

Nare sat a little way from him, propped against a smooth cave wall. Her face was restful, but Elias could not tell whether it was sleep or not. Because of the angle of her head a small, slow vermillion trickle traced itself down the curve of her neck and was beginning to dip over her collar bone. Troubled, Elias watched her carefully, but thought it best not to disturb her if she was sleeping, for he thought out of all of them, it might very well be she who needed a peaceful rest the most, and he would not deprive her of that.
Iavasel
Ranger of the North

Postby Elf*Moon*Forest » Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:10 am

Nare was not asleep, as she noted the questioning glance on Elias' face through barely slitted eyes, but rather weeping silently through only one grey-green orb, as she had taught herself to do. The side of her face turned from the fire could not be seen by anyone of the party, and therefore she was safe from questioning.

He turned away, and she slipped into dark again. The cut on the left side of her neck, a more prominent crescent moon than the others, was beginning to bleed again. She no longer cared. Brina had been wise enough not to question the sorceress after she first woke up; there most likely would have been a row if she had.

The maiden's lips trembled, and another crystal sphere slowly cascaded down her cheek. No matter what way her thoughts turned to try and dissuade her from agreeing with Larys' arguement, she could not battle with the fact that what he said was true . . .

A stealthy glance at Elias' profile nearly wrenched a sob from her throat.

They really were nearly identical . . .

Her eyelids trembled dangerously with tears as she pushed herself up from the cave wall and stepped out into the rapidly drying campsite Brina had so lovingly prepared. Without a word, she drifted into the dark expanse of forest before her, to find a place she had left a very long time ago . . .
Elf*Moon*Forest
Ranger of the North

Postby Iavasel » Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:03 pm

Elias, who in his contemplation had nearly begun to doze was brought back by a slight dry rustle against the cave floor. His sight cleared in time to see the Nare's back rapidly retreating. He took a quick glance at the other two sleepers, turned somewhat strange and dark by the shadows of the cave. Brina gave a little sigh at the noise and his own scraggly angly sister stretched catlike and rolled over. Both of them seemed to have heard the sound in their sleep and stored it away somewhere as not dangerous. Elias wondered if he had already truly fallen asleep if he would have had the skill to hear it. He doubted it.

Elias made as though to follow Nare and then rethought and quickly scratched something in the dirt by Cali. Though it took a minute to reach her the sound troubled Cali's brain and she woke and read there in the symbols what information Elias had left her. In simple pictograph form she guessed With Nare, not dangerous, stay put.

With Nare, yes. Not dangerous, she doubted it, stay put she was in the mood to fight against, but poutingly all she did was move to the opposite side of the fire so that Elias and Nare would have to step over her to re-enter the cave so that she would be sure to know when they came back. Slightly peeved and preyed upon by a slight strain of worry much weaker than anything Elias was generally plagued with on her behalf (though by no means due to a difference in love) she laid back down to sleep.

Hours spent inside the cave drying were now all for not. Elias felt that he would be wet for weeks. Rain pelted down making it difficult to keep his eyes open and if he opened his mouth he had to either spit out or swallow quantities of water.

Elias was in a strange sort of situation. He knew Nare had several worries and dealt with several things he could not know or begin to understand, and consequently he did not want to follow her if she wanted no intrusion, as she had made no invitation to company.

He had also seen Nare in fits in which she recognized nothing in this world, and feared for her safety if she was out alone in the rain in one of these.

He also knew, as a brother and as a human that sometimes, when a woman ran from company it was not so much that she wanted no company, but that she hated to burden her sorrows on others, even her dearest friends. Her loneliness even amoung people had comsumed her, and that to leave her alone would only increase that feeling that no one saw, knew, understood or cared.

He was not as quick or as clever as Cali at tracking, but in the rain even Cali would have had difficultly keeping up. He followed a small but clear path that twisted vehemently, as though trying to throw him off course. There were no footprints here on account of the rain and the dark, but as far as he could tell there were no broken branches off the path either, and the forest was dense and would have marked in a language even readable in the rain some passage there.

The twists and spirals he seemed to be running in reminded him of something, and his mind worked at it while he ran, for he realized that he was running by now. He had read once about dervishes or something that used crazy patterns in which they ran faster and faster and into a trance. In the wet and dark, when his sense was totally lost but that he followed where unobstructed feet fell and he was reminded of that strange ritual that at home by the fireside had seemed so vague before.

When the path stopped it took him a moment to recover, so involved in it had he been. He raised his nearly useless eyes from where they had followed the ground and looked up. And surely, this was the end of the labyrinth, wasn't it? The clearing in the middle, the low, rough sqaure of dark and a strange and sombre statue in the middle, he had reached the end of this mythic maze, and perhaps the path behind had simply sealed up. He had followed the wrong path and lost his Ariadne.

But no, the statue moved. It was no statue but a rain soaked girl, and surely no entrapment, no magic ring but just the charred remains of a house or some other small building. He could even see the remains of a chimney at one end. If he turned he would find the path where he had left it. He did not turn. He faced this girl, not daring to move, breathing deep but silent, light brown curls turned dark and plastered to his forhead by the rain.
Iavasel
Ranger of the North

Postby Elf*Moon*Forest » Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:41 am

Hot water mingled with cold, rushing in torrents down her cheeks and neck. Her chest was awash with a pale pink, where the bleeding had been weakened by rain and tears. Rivulets of ash crept like fingers from the wreckage she faced . . .

Nare stood, cold and alone, oblivious to the figure behind her.

With shaking legs and unsteady feet, the maiden pushed her way through the slop of pine needles, moss and dirt to stand where the door had been; a stump of the frame was still there.

Her hands were even paler with cold as she raked through the piles of debris, carelessly throwing bits of charred, blackened wood and clumps of soggy ash to the side. What felt like a piece of cloth found her fingers, and she pulled it up.

The curtain that had served as a divider between her sitting room and the rest of the house was still partially intact, a single rung sown to the top where it had hung from an iron bar. She looked around, and surmised that she was in the right place; the northeast corner of the house. In a feverish rage she tore through the remains of her home until her stool, only slightly burnt, rose up out of the sea of black.

Her knife had fallen in the burning, but it was right beside her, gleaming a surprising silver up through murky water. With trembling fingers, she grasped it.

You won't find him here . . . His bones, maybe, but nothing else . . .

The hissing voice crowded her mind, and she lashed out behind her with the weapon gripped in shaking knuckles.

Elias stood behind the girl, clutching his shoulder and staring at her with slightly frightened eyes.

Narenial's heart stopped for a moment, before she exhaled deeply and whispered in knowing disbelief, "You didn't just say that, did you?"

Silently, he shook his head.

She sighed, and the tears that she had been able to stem for about ten minutes began to flow freely again. Cautiously, he stepped forward and placed his hand on her shoulder. She nuzzled into it with her cheek, and so they remained for a time.

She stood slowly, and Elias immediately put out his other hand to support her. His heartbeat pulsed gently through both of them, her head resting lightly against his chest, pressing bone-white fingers to his wound. In the perfect stillness and relative calm of the moment, it took him a few seconds to realize she was saying something.

"-- Why are you both of them at once?" She whispered shakily. Elias pushed the girl away with his hands on her shoulders until she was an arm's length away, staring into eyes threatening to spill over with tears.

"What do you mean?" He asked gently, unconsciously gripping her shoulders tighter as she suppressed a sob.

"My brother . . ." She said slowly, staring into the puddle of burnt building beside her, "Was a blacksmith. And . . . there was someone else I knew, a long time ago . . . You could be his twin."

He nodded slightly, uncertain of what to do. She sank to the ground a second time.

"He won't leave me alone, he . . . He did this." The maiden gestured to the remains of the house. "And yet he makes me feel as though it was my hand that lit the thatch."

Her eyes held a desperation . . . her last shred of sanity was dancing in front of her, and she had no means to grab hold of it.

"He was . . . I was to marry him. But I couldn't bring myself to agree to it. It would have meant that Terein would be alone; he needed me, I couldn't have left him--"

She was shaking; she picked up the knife from where she had dropped it and stared, gaze caressing the blade and engravings on the hilt. It was something truly beautiful; the perfect ornament for a sacrificial lamb.

Nightbirds danced from the branches at the wailing scream that echoed through the woods.

Her eyes were wide, meeting Elias' horrified gaze with madness.

"If I chop him into tiny pieces he'll be DEAD," she spat, heaving herself up and stalking quickly down the path that headed towards their campsite.

Elias followed behind her in confusion and utter fear. Blood was coursing over her forearm, wrist and fingers, the knife in her other hand nearly as gory.

The scene was all too familiar, and he could only hope that the same action would remedy it: she grunted as she fell face-forward on the damp forest floor, and sat up looking confused.

Head cradled in her hands, she peered out at him through bloody fingers. "How many times has this happened now?" She asked, no trace of pain in her voice. He blinked, to find her suddenly so level-headed. "Twice." He whispered.

She grinned mockingly, before pushing herself up with her good arm and turning to take one last glance at the ruins.

"I suppose that I thought . . . If I came back, and made amends . . . He would leave me alone."

Elias fumbled with his jacket, pulling the necklace out from some crevice. "Should you take it back?" He asked earnestly.

She thrust his hand back at him. "No. You'll need it. I could have given it to you sooner, but I didn't see any need to give it up prematurely. I will not have you go through what I've endured. It would hurt me too much. Do you understand?"

He didn't reply, only tucked the chain back where-ever it was he had retrieved it from without breaking her gaze.

"You think this doesn't hurt me?" He said, gentle eyes staring into hers. "To have to see you suffering on your own, refusing companionship when it just might help whatever's plaguing you go away?"

"I'm sorry." She whispered. "But it's more complicated than that. I don't know how to explain it, but I know for a fact that even if I were surrounded by every person on earth, he would not cease persuing me."
Elf*Moon*Forest
Ranger of the North

Postby Iavasel » Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:59 pm

The camp was far off and they could not get any wetter, and whatever it was that plagued Nare seemed no less potent there than it was here. Elias sat in the mud where she had fallen and pulled her onto his lap. He leaned back against a tree and she gently followed the slope of his shoulder, melting into it, as though the rain had succeeded in making them more liquid than solid and enabled them to share one space instead of two.

Because of the rain he could not tell whether Nare was still crying, but from the spent look on her face he guessed she was not. For the moment, she seemed to have cried herself out and had been left instead a vague dullness of response that comes with such a sadness. If she was in no danger of crying she was also in no danger of smiling.

"Dearheart, how heavy my soul is for you." He told her, and she said nothing because it required nothing. She simply allowed the two of them to exist in perfect sympathy.

He kissed her head and seperated one dark lock from the rest of her wet mane, and squeezing it slightly dribbled a little river of rain from it into his palm, musing. He thought back on his own past on things that he had learned to forgive, but he had had ten long years, the need to support himself and keep the house, and an incorrigable sister who though at first possessed of a blacker humor than he had more quickly turned bright and sunny for his sake and dragged him along with her.

He had had all this besides a small, well-knit village in the same process of rebuilding as he and Cali and there were always offers of succor and support for a scraggly twelve year old girl, and a curly headed wide eyed boy two years her junior trying to throw together the scraps of a home.

He had, he realized, been very lucky. He had of course been lonely but never he found, ever really truly alone. If his world had been turned upside down, it was still his world and not this other strange place that Nare was sucked away into from time to time.

Nare suddenly reached up and yanked his chin down to stare him in the face, very close to him in the dark so that she could see him. Slowly her hand released him but Elias kept his head bent obidiantly towards her. Her thin white fingers darted over his face as if looking for something. Fine roads and channels that might tell her the difference between Elias and Larys. Yes, the tiny fine lines were there by the corners of his eyes, but from smiling and not from calculating. His forehead bore tiny creases from worry about his sister, not the smooth plate of indifference. And his nose (this is where she looked most carefully) was completely free. There was nothing around it at all to indicate that Elias had ever, ever in his life worn a sneer of disgust, cruelty or hatred.

She put one hand on his cheek and smiled gently up at him. There it was, it was there. Hard to find, but there, that difference. She almost laughed. Her smile grew wider and she hid it by leaning against him again and hugging his broad frame.

Elias smiled over her dark head to himself, puzzled, but smiling all the same.
Iavasel
Ranger of the North

Postby Elf*Moon*Forest » Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:37 am

The girl with the bloodied arm woke first; to find herself shivering in near hypothermia and clutching a black-bladed knife with a silvery sheen that had fallen out of her memory ages ago. Slowly, as the light burned the pools of rain out of upturned leaves, she seemed to remember that she had not last seen the blade thirty years before. . .

Brina saw the black dagger the barman was holding and silently slipped back upstairs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Before the blackness took her for the third time, she was able to see that Larys moved swiftly to her side and took the knife that Brina had informed her about from her belt.

Nare sighed heavily, twirling the heavy knife slowly between her long fingers. Her voice was little more than a whisper. "He was following me even then. He stole it back and left it here." She smiled as the blade caught the gleaming light and scattered it across her face. "Well . . ." she grinned, encasing it in the sheath she had kept, "I do believe he's given me a replacement for my necklace."

She stopped abruptly, and shook her head with a small smile. Cali was slowly turning the maid into a copy of herself. Shakily, she pushed herself up. The treetrunk offered a firm embrace for her shivering body as she watched Elias sleep, and waited for him to awake.

It was probably the most beautiful picture she'd seen in a long time.

A stray lock of curls fell over his forehead, framing a sharp nose and pale cheeks. His long lashes fluttered softly, and he stirred only slightly as the light of the golden orb in the east caressed his face.

A dull throbbing was the only feeling she had left in her arm. Not that it really mattered -- For the first time in thirty years, she was actually experiencing peace. Deep, rich peace.

When Elias awoke, she was sprawled on the forest floor, arm still bleeding just as heavily as the hour before.

Breathing shallow, and skin even more deathly pale than normal except for where the vermilion stain of blood had gathered, he hoisted her into his arms and hurried back toward the campsite. Surprisingly enough her expression was calm, unharried by the troubles that had plagued her eyes from the moment he met her.

He stumbled slightly on a branch and instinctively tightened his grip on her shoulders. The girl's eyes slowly fluttered open. The first thing that met her ears was colorful swearing, then tense and concentrated silence.

"I thought at first, that I would hate you." She breathed, words catching raggedly in her throat. He looked down to find eyes a color he had never seen before staring up at him. A pale green, nearly grey, so much that they might be mistaken for blue at a first glance, tinged with a pale yellow. He wondered why he had never noticed them before.

"I would hate you . . . because you would remind me." She continued, wheezing slightly. The faintest glimmer of a smile rested on chalk-white lips for no more than a second. She looked away, to stare at something that would be beyond comprehension in any place but the human mind. "I couldn't have been more wrong."

The last little bit of tension that she had retained while he carried her fell away, and the dead weight nearly made him stumble again. The next minutes were a jumble of images put together -- The clearing and the cave, and a newer fire, nearly like a signal fire; Cali's worried glare, and Brina's tear-filled gaze.
Elf*Moon*Forest
Ranger of the North

Postby Iavasel » Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:16 pm

Whether Elias had told her to stay put or not, Calid was readying herself to go out and search for him when he saved her labour by stepping into the clearing by the cave. She gave him a glare that ordinarily would have stopped him, but he continued into the warm cave mouth and laid Nare gently by the fire for a worried and compassionate Brina to attend after he had first arranged a rough pillow under her head and brushed a few loose strands of hair from her face. He smiled stupidly down at her and let his large rough palm rest a moment on her pale, damp cheek and she in her sleep turned her head into this cradle. Everything seemed distant compared to this.

He would, of course have done more but that Brina stopped his hand and gestured with a wag of her head towards the cave mouth where Calid could be heard swearing loudly and abusing the ears of Kent and Thor outside.

"I think you're in more danger than Nare" she told him sympathetically.

He smiled ruefully and while Nare was put in dry clothing, cleaned and cared for he instead went to face the tirade raging outside, still dirty, damp and bloody from the night past.

Cali immediately went to punch him, punctuating sentences with her fists and palms, but Elias' shoulder cut her short. Unceremoniously and before he could catch her hand she had wrenched open the neck of his shirt to examine the wound. It was red and puckered from the night spent in chill and dirt, and it had bled that morning from carrying Nare as well as what Cali had put him through.

She swore even more vehemently when she saw that, and followed up her swearing with "Elias, take off your shirt and go wash. Then come back here. I'm taking care of that for you."

"No, I'll get it. I'll be fine Cali, really" he told her, pushing his shirt back into place.

Calid was still furious. "Elias, don't be an (here she inserted some of the worst words she knew) idiot. I said, go take your shirt off and wash, NOW. You can't sew yourself up with one hand. I don't care how silly and stupid you've become. I've taken care of you since you were ten and I know what your chest looks like, just do it."

Elias still hesitated. Cali grabbed a fistful of shirt and held her knife to the seam. "Elias, I'll rip it off if I have to, and then knock you cold if that's what it takes to sew you up. You're bigger but I'm a better fighter."

She let him go and rummaged in Thor's saddle bags. She threw a cake of soap at him which hit him squarely in the stomach and surprised him a bit with its vehemence. Cali generally gave him a hard time but was much worse with what she said over what she did. She was naturally quarrlesome, but ultimately good tempered. Though she was used to rough housing with him, and often made frustrated swipes at him in an argument, even in her wildest temper she had never before thrown anything at him in anger or held quite so much force behind her blows.

Elias came back shortly, clean and bare chested and Cali with more force than was gentle but still careful not to tear the flesh any more rubbed out his wound to be sure there would be no infection. She then carefully applied herself to sewing up the long gash. It was at least a clean cut and should heal well, leaving just a thin white scar on the broad tan shoulder. She didn't speak while she did this, she was too focused on the task.

"Cali," Elias asked after a bit. "The soap you gave me - "

Cali looked up at him and then reapplied herself. "Mother's."

"You kept it for..." he thought quickly back "twelve years?"

Cali looked up at him again, this time for longer. "No. She taught me to make it. Remember me before -" she swallowed the rest of that sentence and frowned at her stitches instead.

She didn't have to finish though for Elias. He did remember her before that attack on their village ten years ago. Always a bit unruly, yes, but a sunny little girl with long brown curls and dressed constantly in light blue because their father loved it on her. She had tagged along behind her father in his workshop and badgered Elias in the same way, but their mother's gentle influence had somewhat calmed her unruly nature and Cali also spent long hours with her doing softer, quieter things. Before she had to be rough and unruly and fend for herself and her shyer, younger brother.

Elias held a clean hand to his nose, he could never identify everything in the smell. It smelled predominantly clean, as their mother had held that soap should smell like what it was, but there were traces of her favorite flowers as well, faintly lilac and apple. He remebered she had also loved magnolias and cherry blossoms, but they had lived too far north to find much abundance of those and so it was lilac and apple and clean that he associated with her.

Cali's attention on his shoulder gave him the advantage to study her unobserved and he did at length. Surprising how much one could forget about a person or simply cease to see after a while. He let her finish in silence.
Iavasel
Ranger of the North

Postby Teleri123 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:18 pm

As soon as Brina saw Elias carrying Nare into cave she blinked to clear away the tears forming in her eyes and grabbed her bag. Elias had set Nare down by a fire and despite him making an attempt to help her, Brina gestured for him to go to Cali instead.

While Brina was cleaning Nare's wound, the girl turned and opened her eyes slightly. Barely awake, she tried to speak, but the result was instead quiet mumbles.

"What am I to do with you?" She said to herself quietly, half smiling.

After a few moments, Brina came back to reality and proceded to fix up Nare. Ten minutes later Brina finished wrapping Nare's arm up. She put a cool cloth on her forehead and lightly stroked her hair. Looking up at the roof of the cave, Brina spoke in whispers to noone.

Coinnigh í sábháilte. She paused and turned to look at Cali and Elias standing in the cave's entrance. Dó cách léas.
Teleri123
Shield Bearer

Postby Iavasel » Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:05 pm

By the time both of their injured companions had been satisfactorially attended to, it was getting on towards late morning. Nare, with her troubled night in addition to her physical ailments, dozed quietly now and then, with a faint smile on her face that Elias rather stupidly reflected every time he looked at her.

Determining that her brother was far from any danger of fatiguing himself or collapsing from loss of blood, Cali made her annoyance with him quite clear with him by telling him to do everything around the camp, while she sat with a watchful eye over him.

Brina more than once offered to help the in the several short but necessary errands Cali thought up for him, and Cali thanked her warmly but informed her Elias would be quite willing to do them himself, and that it would be no trouble for him at all, and besides that Brina had enough things to think about and should rest herself for a while.

Elias, for his part, bore all of it without complaint. His compliance appeased Cali's temper and her anger quickly faded away, though she still ordered him on camp errands. Elias, as Cali had peevishly stated, truly did not mind the work, and had Brina tried to help he would have taken the work from her himself. He gently acquiesced to Cali's wishes, because the work was necessary, because he was fit to do it, and because he could tell that his disappearance during the night had worried his sister into the state she was now in, and that instead of lecturing as he might have done, this physical penance was her way of working through that forgiving him for it.

For more than an hour on Cali's orders or on his own initiative, he washed clothing, fetched water, gathered firewood, fed the horses etc, until Cali's voice, having lost it's edge of hostility, called him inside and told him to take a late breakfast with them.

Clean, fed, warm, dry, in good company and stupidly in love, it was a good feeling, and Elias grinned in spite of himself over the little breakfast fire at Cali. Who rolled her eyes not unpleasantly and settled in for her own meal.

"So" said Cali, after a long while of having thoroughly enjoyed hot food, it was rather good to have all these simple comforts, and not to be rushed through them or looking over one's shoulder for once. "Do you think we had better move today? It shouldn't be too bad for them, as the day is already almost half gone and that means less travel time."

Her question was mainly addressed to Brina, who she deemed to be the one who would judge Nare's condition and their own situation. Nare looked much stronger (and happier) to Cali, but there was really no was of knowing she felt, and Elias was certainly not going to dictate the movement of their journey.
Iavasel
Ranger of the North

Postby Teleri123 » Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:03 pm

With Nare and Elias injured, despite the fact they were taken care of, the companions's travels were delayed. While Nare went in and out of sleep, Cali had Elias do an assortment of chores around camp. Though Brina offered to help more than once, she was politely turned down.

After some time of not knowing what to do with herself, Brina decided to make some food. She did what she could with what they had, and realized they would need to get more supplies the next chance. It was a quiet meal, and the food had turned out fairly well. Brina sat in her seat, and as though Cali could read her mind, spoke.

"So" Cali said, "Do you think we had better move today? It shouldn't be too bad for them, as the day is already almost half gone and that means less travel time." Brina glanced at Nare, and turned to Cali.

"I think it should be alright." She said as she put her plate down. "We can't be far off from the cities." Her face turned very thoughtful, as she grabbed her bag, pulled out the tattered map and inspected it. "No, it's not very far. Actually, if we left within the hour we may make it there by nightfall." Brina looked up at Cali as she rolled the map up and stuffed it into her bag again. "It's probably better to get going anyway. We're running out of supplies."
Teleri123
Shield Bearer

Postby Elf*Moon*Forest » Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:53 pm

Nare shifted in her sleep, as someone shuffled the dirt by her head. Brina stood over her, shoving a frying pan into her pack.

"Are we leaving?" she asked the girl groggily. Brina turned and nodded.

She pushed herself up, and dragged the blanket someone had thrown over her along as well. By that point, almost all of their things were loaded onto the horses. She regretted the fact that no one had awoken her and asked her to help.

They had about a five hour ride ahead of them; with luck the sun wouldn't set until just after they had reached the gates of Dumar.
Elf*Moon*Forest
Ranger of the North

Postby Iavasel » Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:24 pm

"Running out of supplies" was serious. It made Cali move, and fast. She needed no further prompting before she was up and skittering about the camp gathering any loose items, abusing the ears of Elias, Kent and Thor, who for all their difference, looked at her with identical expressions.

Elias, despite his awkward shoulder had knelt and provided Nare with a step into the saddle. It was, perhaps not necessary, but he being the only man in the group, led to complications. Cali, who had already mounted Kent, raised her eyebrows and slid down from the great tall horse and stood expectantly beside him, tapping her foot.

Elias shook his head ruefully and instead of providing the polite step he had for Nare, he siezed his sister around the middle and threw her up to Kent's back, for which he was rewarded by a small shriek of laughter from Cali (who was, not surprisingly, very ticklish) and the return of much of her goodwill towards him.

He then turned almost apologetically to Brina, who waved him off in mutual understanding of Elias' position that he had put himself in, and the understanding that it was not necessary in her case.

"What do you think, Kent?" Cali was asking the great war horse. She actually wished to ask Thor this question, but his ears were a bit too far out of her reach to talk comforatbly to from the back of this black behemoth. "A real stable tonight, most likely." She told him. Kent's ears flicked conversationally. Kent looked used to not being stabled, but she was sure that if Thor knew what was ahead of him, it would make him perk up a bit.

Traveling cheered her and her restless blood more than resting in a cave had, and she qas quickly bright and talkative again.
Iavasel
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing: The Green Dragon Inn (Tolkien-Influenced Fantasy)