Silver Rain

This forum is for role-playing within settings that influenced Tolkien (non-Middle-earth). Acceptable styles include for Celtic, Norse, Kalevala, Arthurian, and Anglo-Saxon.

Silver Rain

Postby Elf*Moon*Forest » Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:28 pm

"Look!" The woman cried, pointing up into the night sky. The sun had set, and the first stars were appearing. Dragan looked up from his sister's arm and gasped.

"Ia! It's so pretty!"

Ia grinned and shifted the small boy in her lap. "Do you see the shapes?" She asked him.

He nodded and pointed to the sky, now pricked with stars. It was a new moon; nothing obscured their view of the constellations. "There's the Dragon, and the Archer, and The Crux, and the Great Bear, and--"

The woman laughed and pushed her auburn hair behind her ears. "Go back," she said, guiding his finger with her hand to point to the Dragon's constellation. With her right eye squinted shut, she pointed to Rastaban, then Eltenin. "Do you know what those two stars are?" She asked him.

"My guides and titles?" The boy inquired uncertainly. Ia nodded.

"Always remember, Dragan. If you are ever in trouble, those two stars will help you find me again." She snaked her arms around his waist and tickled him.

"And if you don't come to find me, I will be very sad and very angry!" She growled playfully, laughing as the squirming boy giggled and tried to wriggle out of her arms.

She stopped, and he slowly relaxed. He stared up at her; bright, pale blue eyes bore into her shadowy green ones. The child hastily planted a rather wet kiss on her cheek.

"Love you, Iavassilien."

She hugged him to her chest until the sun rose.

~~~~~~~~

"Please, sir. Please! I need help!"

The man passed her by without even a glance in her direction.

"Please," she whispered to no one in particular, tears streaming down her cheeks. "Please . . . Help me find him. Help me find my brother."
Elf*Moon*Forest
Ranger of the North

Postby Elf*Moon*Forest » Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:23 pm

She stood silently, staring out into the milling race of people with blank and empty eyes. Her hair was matted, her clothes and face so caked in mud that she believed that most of those who rushed by her did not even notice she was there. A limp bag cradling her meager possessions dangled from its ties on her shoulder, and a cold rain poured down in an unending fury of discontentment.

The tavern sign swung wildly in the wind; cautiously she made her way toward it. Peering up through the heavy silver sheets of water, she was able to faintly make out:

The Eye of the Dragon.

Rastaban . . .

With hope, she pulled the soggy wooden door wide.
Elf*Moon*Forest
Ranger of the North

Postby *~Linsul~*~Songbreeze~* » Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:08 am

Sounds interesting........ could you plese explain the basic plot line?
EDIT: As I said in the RPG, I am not thinking very well currently. Sorry! I'll talk to you in the OOC!
*~Linsul~*~Songbreeze~*
Rider of the Mark

Postby feaguire » Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:30 am

Sounds really cool but I agree with *~Linsul~*~Songbreeze~*. What is the basic plot line?

Edit: Really sorry! I'm new to this site and didn't know that we were supposed to write comments on the OOC!
Last edited by feaguire on Sat Nov 20, 2004 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
feaguire
Ranger of the North

Postby Elf*Moon*Forest » Thu Nov 11, 2004 1:29 pm

Please edit these. The plot is in the OOc, and I would appreciate it if you continued this discussion there. I do not like to use a huge amount of exposition in the beginning of my RPs. Thank you.
Elf*Moon*Forest
Ranger of the North

Postby Iavasel » Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:15 pm

a.s. Here's the ooc to make things a bit easier http://forums.tolkienonline.com/viewtopic.php?p=2995726#2995726

Audrai nearly jumped out of her chair every time Cai got that look on his face. Her hand rested automatically on her knife belt and she half-turned in her seat to see the door. Disgruntled, she turned back to Cai with an exasperated expression on her face. She brushed her tunic irritably where her drink had sloshed over the charcoal material when she turned so suddenly.

“I hate it when you do that, it gives me the creeps.”

Cai chose not to pay attention.

A trained fighter, Audrai hated sitting with her back to the door, but Cai hated it even more and when she was with him, there was no argument. She had tried but failed to gain the advantageous seat every time. An unusual occurrence for him, Cai had agreed to eat with Audrai in the inn’s common room. While Audrai had the feeling that Cai never gave her more than half his attention (if that), every time the door behind her swung open, Cai’s gaze snapped to the position just above her left shoulder and she became completely invisible. No, Audrai rethought that. It wasn’t that she was invisible, Cai still registered her movement and the pattern of her voice, but dismissed them as non-threatening. Audrai wasn’t sure which option she preferred.

Cai was still transfixed by the movement at the door.

“Cai, would you stop? She’s just a beggar, let her alone.”

Audrai settled back properly into her chair and Cai’s head bobbed slightly to keep the woman in view.

“I don’t think so.”

Audrai looked down at the scrawny wolf by Cai’s feet. “Cetar, your boy’s nutters.” She told him, since apparently Cai wouldn’t benefit from her conversation. The wolf’s open mouth seemed to grin.

Audrai cast another glance over her shoulder at the mud-encrusted woman. “If you’re so enchanted with her, ask her to sit down.” She rolled her eyes when Cai still didn’t respond and took a pull at her drink.
Iavasel
Ranger of the North

Postby feaguire » Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:04 pm

Talanya sat staring at the food that was on the plate in front of her. She wasn't very hungry as she hadn't been for a few days and wandered what was wrong with her.
I have to eat sometihing or I'll starve to death. She told herself.
But as usual she just got up and left her food sitting on the table.
She left the warmth of the inn and faced the chill of the outside rain. As she crossed the busy road she noticed a lady. The lady was very dirty and not very well kept, and she was covered with dirt and mud from head to toe. But something about that lady distracted her.
She watched the woman step into the inn she had just been in. Something inside her told her to follow. She didn't know why she did, but she did follow.

The heat of the inn hit her as she walked casually inside trying to hide her face in her cloak so nobody would recognise that she had just left moments before.
Tal's eyes roved the room for the woman, and noticed she had sat down at a table on her own.
She sat down at a table near her and ordered a glass of water.
Talanya was confused at why she was doing this but trusted her hunches and continued to watch the lady's every move.
feaguire
Ranger of the North

Postby Iavasel » Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:30 pm

"It's wet enough out there to drown if you just opened your mouth" commented Audrai, "look at her she's soaked, and yet what's she drinking? The way she's taking it, either she holds her drink better than anyone I've ever seen, or she's drinking in here what she could get for free by the bucketload if she just stepped outside."

Audrai laughed as if sharing a private joke. When Cai didn't join in she realized that every joke made in his prescense might as well be a private one. She sighed.

"She's come in again for something" Cai said, "and it's not for whatever's in that glass."

One side of his mouth lifted higher than the other as he watched this new woman watch the mud encrusted one. It was an interesting little triangle, he thought.

Audrai shifted in her chair, looking about the tavern. In truth, she wondered why no one had given them trouble yet. Delicacy was not Cai's area, and the blatant and all-too-free stares that he was giving these strangers was bound to cause trouble with someone. Audrai looked about for signs of fathers, husbands or older brothers ready to rough up Cai.
Iavasel
Ranger of the North

Postby KeeperOfHearts » Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:13 am

Reavan pulled the hood farther over her face, trying to shield the rain. i used to love the rain. Now its cursed awfull. She sighed. The reason she hated the rain now was a mystery to her. As a kid she used to love it, spending hours out in the rain, and getting a beating when she came home soaking. But after the wizard came and took her away (on a rainy night) she had hated it. i guess thats why. I was stolen away from my family and everything else that i loved, on a rainy night. she sighed and a look of hatred marred her delicate features for a moment, then she shook her head. I will not think about that tonight. She looked up. She was just passing a tavern. As she stared at the tavern, a strange feeling came over her. Everything around her faded out into a blackish blur. The tavern seemed to loom in her vision, and the sound of a woman sobbing in the backround haunted her. As her vision snapped back into focus, she beagn to half run toward the tavern, not caring as the rain sloshed up into her boots and chilled her toes. She swung open the doors to the tavern, her eyes were immediately drawn to a hunched figure sitting at the bar. It was the woman from her dream

OOC- I hope that was Okay everyone, and thanks for letting me join! :)
KeeperOfHearts
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Iavasel » Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:42 pm

Audrai was truly getting frustrated now. Cai hadn't said anything for several mintues but his eyes flicked frequently from the mud-woman, to the soaked one, and now at some new target. With her back to all of them Audrai could only catch distorted glimpses of them from the reflection that her tankard threw, which didn't do much besides give her a vague idea of what movements these people were making.

"So," she said, finally drawing on a question that might actually get Cai to speak more than one word "who is this woman and why are people after her?"

"They're not 'after' her."

Nope, failure. Thought Audrai, and tried again. "Well, why are they so interested, and who or what do you think she is?"

Cai mediatated on that, and for a moment Audrai thought she had lost hime again.

"Well..." Cai hesitated, doing a last minute check before he decided on his words, "she's got some money. Or she used to. Her clothes are too fine to be otherwise. Unless she stole them, which is unlikely since they fit her so well. But money doesn't always mean soft living. Those boots aren't your normal courtly attire. Whoever she is she's used to getting around by her own efforts. But something's happened to her. A woman with money doesn't just let herself go to pieces like that. A woman used to money would at least try to clean herself up ordinarily, but she's just sitting in that filth, accepting it. She could be mad, which I don't really believe, or something big enough has jarred the rest of her life out of focus."

Audrai nodded. Everything Cai said made sense, as it usually did, and had Audrai had proper time to watch the woman, she felt that she could have come to similiar conclusions.

"What about the others?"

Cai looked at the water-logged one. "Curiousity" he said, "a do-gooder, always a nose for that which is amiss so she can fix it. She's watching our noblewoman, but not with the intensity of recognition. She is our good Samaritan." His attention shifted right, and Audrai tried to guess who he was now looking at based on the reflection on her tankard. "That one though," he continued "might cause a bit more of a stir if she's not careful. That one recognizes our noblewoman and is not entirely at ease with her."

One side of Cai's mouth lifted higher than the other in an amused smirk.

"What?" Asked Audrai suddenly, on her gaurd at this change of Cai's countance.

"One of them has just spotted us." Cai said, lounging delicately in that smirk like a satisfied cat. He loved it when someone had enough brains to realize that they were being watched.

Audrai's back stiffened, sure that Cai had once more overstepped his bounds.
Iavasel
Ranger of the North

Postby feaguire » Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:09 pm

Tal sat watching the woman. She somehow knew that this was the reason for everything. She knew that this lady was the reason she had been feeling so uneasy about everything and the reason that she never ate or drank anything other than tasteless glasses of water.
She was still very confused though. She didn't understand why this feeling had come upon her.
Talanya often trusted hunches and nagging feelings in her mind, but she had never been as sure as this.

Should I go and talk to this woman? She thought. No! This was a sudden thought that came to her. I cannot talk to this stranger! I do not know her and she does not know me. She would think I have lost my mind.
She sighed. I think I have lost my mind.

Tal was about to leave when suddenly she felt eyes on her.
Her head flicked around as she saw a man watching her.
He had a smirk on his face and seemed to be happy that she had seen him. His eyes then suddenly flicked from her to the filthy woman that she had been watching before, then to a new woman who she had briefly seen come in minutes before.
Talanya was now more confused than ever.
feaguire
Ranger of the North

Postby feaguire » Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:58 pm

I must talk to this man. Talanya thought. Maybe he knows something, or maybe he has the same feeling I have about this woman.

She got up and slowly made her way to the table of the man and the dark haired woman who sat with him.
When she got to the table, she stood and looked into the man's brown eyes as he looked into her green ones. They stayed like this for a long time, while the dark haired woman looked from one to the other, not sure what to do.

"My name is Talanya," said Talanya. "Do you know anything about that lady over there?"

"I do not know who she is but I have a feeling the woman who just came in does." Said the man.

Tal looked over to the woman he was looking at, then turned back to the man. "What is your name?" She was now curious about this strange person, who seemed to answer questions in riddles.

"I am Audrai," the woman suddenly poked her voice into the conversation they were barely having. "This is Cai."
feaguire
Ranger of the North

Postby Elf*Moon*Forest » Sat Nov 20, 2004 5:09 am

Ia's eyes were blurred, both by the rain and her own tears. Her fever hadn't gone down in several days; the water on her skin beginning to evaporate made her shiver. The large door creaked several times as customers entered or exited; she concentrated on ignore the chills threatening to make her sick . . .

A small figure moved rather quickly by, before choosing a seat quite close to her. She looked over slowly, not wanting to splash mud all over.

Dark hair and a pale complexion greeted her. Pitch black eyes stared out from a frightened face turned in her direction. Ia stood up immediately and shuffled quickly over.

The dark-haired elf scrunched down in her chair, whimpering slightly. Ia slowly held a hand out in front of her, long fingers dripping mud and dirt to the floor.

"You have no sign . . ."

The Elf glanced up at her, shoulders shaking. "What was that?"

"You're not of the Elements . . . You don't have a star, do you?" Ia continued, tracing the shape of the girls face in the air with her finger. The black haired one sat up slightly.

"I think you're who I'm looking for." Ia murmured quietly, not able to remove her gaze from the endless eyes of the Elf. The said creature smiled, slowly and cautiously.

"I could say the same of you."
Elf*Moon*Forest
Ranger of the North

REAVAN

Postby KeeperOfHearts » Sat Nov 20, 2004 9:57 am

Reavan stared at the mud encrusted women in front of her. How did she know? Who was this women? She guestured for the women to take a seat. Slowly the strange women sat down, careful not to get much mud on her new companion.

"What is your name?I am Reavan." Reavan asked. The women looked at her out of sad eyes.

'My name is Iavassilien." Reavan almost jumped in amazement. Ia...It was all coming together. A memory that was forever stuck in her brain flashed before her eyes.

The rain poured down, creeping into the crevices of everything. The wise women's face contorted with pain.
"My time is near..." she rasped out. Reavan felt tears fall down her face. This women was the only friend she had here at the wizards camp." Rea..listen to me...leave here. You must. Learn the world outside of here. When you are ready, you shall find a women named Iavassilien." The women gripped Rea's arm tighly. "Help her. Then you shall find your destiny." With those last words, the wise women slumped forward, breathing out her last breath.
Last edited by KeeperOfHearts on Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KeeperOfHearts
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Iavasel » Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:02 am

Cai, having already taken stock of Talanya and filed her away somewhere, kept his ears open to her conversation with Audrai should anything interesting come up, but his eyes still followed the other two women at the bar.

"Well," said Audrai, ignoring Cai as he was obviously going to ignore them. She shifted her chair and pulled up another. "Go ahead and sit down if you like." She told Talanya, "and allow me to buy you a drink."

The way she had arranged things had two advantages, she thought. By moving her chair she had placed herself between Cai and Talanya, so perhaps Talanya wouldn't feel that she was being ganged up on, and she had turned enough to have a clear view of the two other women that Cai was so interested in.

At Audrai's insistence Talanya accepted a hot drink which she took one small sip of and then let rest on the table with her long fingers wrapped around it, soaking in the heat of her glass.

Smart girl thought Audrai approvingly. Doesn't want to be rude but also isn't going to let her attention slip.

There was a small lapse during which Audrai realized that she had become as bad as Cai about staring at the other women. She dropped her gaze quickly and turned to Talanya.

"So," she asked. "What's your take on this then? There's something about that woman that makes us all look at her, but what is it? What's so special about her, any ideas?"
Iavasel
Ranger of the North

Postby feaguire » Sun Nov 21, 2004 11:24 pm

Talanya looked into her hot mug that she was now warming her chilled hands with.
Maybe this mug of drink holds the answers to all my problems. It was a silly thought, but she was much too tired to think anything better.

She sighed a deep, long sigh and finally turned to the dark haired woman who had called herself Audrai. "These past few days have been very stressfull for me." She started. "I havn't been sleeping, eating or getting very far in my travels. I think that last problem has something to do with something that is in this land. Something that I need to do has subconsciously been keeping me from moving further to any other parts of the world. Thinking about that, conjurs the other two problems."
Audrai nodded.
"Suddenly, when I came into this tavern, I felt that it was here! The reason for all of it was because of what was in this very inn!"

"So you don't know why you have this feeling?" Cai suddenly asked.

Talanya hadn't been aware he was listening. "Yes!" She practically shouted at him. "The woman over there!"

"Keep your voice down!" He hissed at her. She went red."What I mean is you don't know how you are involved with this woman?" Cai said slyly. "You don't know why she is so important?"

Talanya shook her head slowly.

"Exactly!" Cai said. "And we need to find out."

"So why don't we go and talk to her?" Audrai looked over at the dirty woman who was now talking to the second woman, who she could see was a young elf.

Talanya looked at Cai who, she had already seemed to learn, was the descider of what the new group would do. She found he was already looking at her. "So what do you say, Talanya?"

"I say, Cai, that we do talk to her," Tal was glaring at Cai. She already wasn't very fond of him. "I'm far too curious to just ignore this whole matter." She got up to leave.

"Wait!" Now Audrai was the one hissing at Talanya. "What do we say?"

"We say what's on our mind." With that she stode over to the woman's table.

The elf and the woman both looked up as she came over.
"My name is Talanya, this Cai and Audrai," she gestured at each of them as they stood behind her. "We need to talk to you."
feaguire
Ranger of the North

Postby Iavasel » Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:02 pm

"I don't much like this Talanya." Cai told Audrai, in a tone that was none too careful of being heard. "She's much to free." He didn't appreciate his name being thrown about. And now it had been done twice. Once by Audrai, and once by Talanya. If he wanted people to know his name and his business (which most of the time he did not) he would tell them.

Audrai snorted. "She's much too free. You're not any better. And as someone who's been travelling with you for quite some time, I'd say in fact that you're worse. All that staring at people. I'm telling you it gives people the creeps. I'm just suprised no one's gotten offended by it yet tonight. The amount of fights I've had to talk people out of..."

Cai gave her a cool stare, his brown-gold eyes carefully hooded.

"You should just let me fight them." He said eventually.

Audrai shuddered. She swore sometimes that Cai hated the whole human race and just waited for it to attack him so that he could fight it openly.

The two of them stopped short behind Talanya. Audrai smiled when Talanya introduced her, and Cai made eye contact briefly (and gave an especially hard look to the elf) and then looked slightly past the table, his hand buried in Cetar's scruff who stood just at his knee.

The elf at the table looked slightly surprised but not unfriendly, while their suspicious mud-woman had a look that Audrai couldn't quite define. It was something slightly wild, but beyond that, Audrai didn't know.
Iavasel
Ranger of the North

Postby Elf*Moon*Forest » Fri Nov 26, 2004 3:25 pm

Several shadows passed over Ia's table and stood in the way of the firelight passing through her glass stein full of water. Looking up slowly she was able to make out through the mud around her eyes not only the dark-haired elf, but a woman with braided hair and pale eyes in dark grey accompanied by a tall man in black with deep, sad wells for eyes. A shorter woman, younger than the one in grey and with lighter hair and eyes stood staring at her also. Quite delibrately, she wiped some of the mud from her face with a corner of her cloak, revealing pale skin rivaling that of the Elf's in whiteness and dark, grey green eyes. She shuddered slightly, noticing the man's gaze boring into her own. The woman with braided hair seemed to notice also, and nudged him rather sharply in the ribs. Seeming both entranced and frightened, she held out a hand.

"Hello. You seemed lonely. We were wondering if we might sit with you?"

Ia nodded uncertainly, before dragging chairs from several other unoccupied tables to her own.

All of them sat while she remained standing, staring blankly into the fire. After a minute or so, she knelt down and pulled her satchel from beneath the table and removed an ornately crafted pewter ring and chain from a smaller bag within. A mermaid, bull, ram, crab, nude man and woman, carp, ewe, lion's head, a pair of scales, scorpion, a bow and arrows, and a second nude woman lying on top of the sun and a crescent moon made up the circle. Spinning slowly within were several stones of different colors suspended on wires. She held the bauble before her like a sacrificial object. The girl with pale eyes asked,

"What on earth is that?"

Ia smiled slowly, dark eyes lidded with long lashes.

"This is for Reavan. I should like to know just what she is. What all of you are. Come hither, my dear."

As the elf cautiously made her way toward the strange woman, Cai leaned back in his chair and scowled. She certainly seemed like a unique person, but why was she frightened of people at one moment and acting the mother the next? Audrai glanced quickly in his direction, before returning her focus to the two pale-skinned women standing before the fire. He frowned, turning to Talanya. She seemed transfixed as well, and watched with wide eyes and a slightly gaping mouth. Cai pushed himself up in his chair with distaste. What could they be doing that was so miraculous . . .

Reavan's outstretched hand flickered light and dark in the firelight. The contrast of the heat from the hearth on her right and the cold, wet draft from her left rendered her oversensitive, and unable to fully concentrate on the intricate ornament dangling over her palm. With a frighteningly purposeful glance from Ia, she stared into the stones reflecting the dancing flames once again.

Ia's own pale hand was suspended above Reavan's, perfectly still as the gems draped over her fingers began to spin of their own accord within their metal ring.

Onyx revolved around carnelian, as moonstone gravitated first toward jade, then a lapis lazuli sphere. Crystal gyrated slowly about a tiger's eye orb, before winding its way in a dizzying loop round the circumfrence of the inner wall of the pewter carvings. Ia shook her head, and pulled her hand away. Reavan looked up at her with an expectant gaze. Eyes still closed, Ia sighed heavily before saying,

"This has never happened before. You have neither a constellation nor a single star. You must not be of this world, to not have a sign."

The wise woman flashed before Reavan's eyes, and she shuddered. "It may be true . . . But I am not certain as to why this should be so."

Ia nodded delibrately, before making her way back to the table. Cai gave her a cold yet fearful stare, Talanya remained gaping, and Audrai wore a secretive smile. The bedraggled woman before them smiled for the first time.

"May I ask what it is you want with me?"
Elf*Moon*Forest
Ranger of the North

Postby Iavasel » Fri Nov 26, 2004 10:18 pm

"May I ask what it is you want with me?"

Audrai's grin wobbled. "I, well..." she thought about it, realizing that they still had no clear purpose in harassing this woman. "I don't know really." She said truthfully, "but Talanya here seems to think that she knows you, or well, not knows you really but...sort of like a deja vu, I suppose."

"Really?" Ia arched an eyebrow as she considered Talanya.

Ia went to wipe a bit more mud out of her face. "Oh no, wait" Audrai told her, "I'll find something for you to at least decently clean up with, hold on." Audrai darted away quickly to find the innkeeper, and returned triumphant with damp, steaming towel to wipe away the mud on Ia's face.

"I don't think that I really want anything from you.." said Audrai carefully, "it's just, well, you looked as though you'd had a bit of hard luck and could use some help." She grinned at Ia, and then looked at Cai to back her up on that.

Cai as usual did nothing of the sort.

Instead he was looking at Ia again, but uncharacteristically, he dropped his eyes when she looked back. Cetar bristled as Ia continued to look at Cai, and Cai felt in his head an explosion of images coming from the wolf. They were not the clear, definate thoughts he usually recieved from Cetar, but something confused and jumbled. There was something there that the wolf couldn't understand, but sent him the closest thing to comprehension he knew, an underlying sense of sickness. Cai felt it too, and was worried by it. Somewhere, faintly, he felt answering thoughts of alarm from the pack outside the citygates, but he sent them reassuring thoughts back. He sent them images and emotions close to Danger strange, but not big, stay in forest.

Audrai and Ia were both looking at him now, and for a moment Audrai looked so much like Nel that Cai's chest constricted violently and he thought he actually would be sick. There was a real call of alarm from the pack to which Cai quickly responded with calming images, and thought fervently that he would have to be more careful.
Iavasel
Ranger of the North

Postby feaguire » Sat Nov 27, 2004 1:09 am

Talanya was in awe.
This woman was definitly speacial in some way. No wander she had been so drawn to her.
Cai was seated next to her, and she noted that he looked very ill.
What is the matter with him? She asked herself in her mind.
She turned back to the strange, wise woman and the elf who also looked rather shocked.

What are your names?" She asked them. "You are Reavan?" She turned to the elf remebering the name the other lady had called her by.

The elf nodded "Yes." She said quietly.

"And I am Iavassilien," The woman said warmly. "But you may call me Ia if that name is too hard to remember." She smiled when she said that and chuckled a little. She even seemed to forget about her lost little brother for a moment as she looked into the curious eyes of the young girl that reminded her so much of him.

"Well, you may all call me Tal, then, if Talanya is too long for you to say!" She also smiled and looked into the eyes of Ia, feeling much more at home with her, than she had felt with anyone since she had lost her family.

There was a moment then, where everyone seemed to look at everyone else and take in their name and appearance.

"Who is that?" Reavan asked nobody in particular, as she pointed to the dog that sat next to Cai.

"This is Cetar." Cai said solomly, as he looked down at the wolf. He did not give any other information than that. Cai did not want anything else known about himself or Audrai and was happy to leave Talanya and Ia and Reavan all to figure out their own problems.

"Audrai!" He said so suddenly that they all jumped violently. "We must go."

Audrai opend her mouth to complain, but Cai did not give her the chance.

"Now!" He gave her a look that frightend them all except Audrai.

"Excuse us a moment," she said to everybody politly. "I must talk to Cai privatly."
feaguire
Ranger of the North

Postby Iavasel » Sat Nov 27, 2004 1:17 pm

Audrai stalked out of the extablishment and into the night, where she would have gladly chewed out Cai for his behavior if it hadn't been raining hard enough to nearly drown her every time she opened her mouth. She clenched her teeth together and swore colorfully under her breath as she lead Cai around the side of the building to shelter under the stable.

Cai and Cetar spilt paths and roved about the stable checking for anything other than horses that might be lurking there in the dark. Cai at least held almost still while Audrai berated him, though Cetar continued his patrol.

"Cai, what is your problem?" Audrai yelled at him, while he pointedly avoided her eyes. "You spend all night staring at this woman and then when we finally meet her you've suddenly you decide that we should leave. What is it with you?"

"There's something not right about her, we shouldn't stay around her."

"So she's not quite right. Cai, she needs help, that much is obvious."

"How do you know? She didn't ask us, did she?" He sidled up in his odd way to the stable door and looked out. The woman's back was just visible through the inn window, but the rain blurred everything so badly it was difficult to see much. "We should stay away from her. Something's wrong with her. She smells like sickness."

Audrai opened her mouth to protest but Cai cut her off.

"Look at her. Look at them! Like moths to a candle flame. You think that's accidental?"

"Cai," said Audrai, shaking her head a bit and sighing. "I'm not leaving tonight."

"Fine." Said Cai, "but I am."

"Cai, I'm not leaving you, and I'm not leaving tonight. Besides, all our things are still in the inn."

"I don't need them."

"You may not, but I do. And what about Kent? I need his things too."

Cai's brown-gold eyes looked at her steadily. "I'm leaving, Audrai."

Audrai stepped in front of him.

"Drai" He intoned, and this time it came out low and dark, like a growl. "Don't get in my way. I will fight you."

Cetar growled as well, and Audrai reached for her claymore, but a wolf howl out in the distance stopped her. She had no intention of actually hurting Cai, but if he wanted to go, her sword against 15 wolves she had no intention of killing would not do her any good.

Her hands balled into tight fists and her teeth clenched. She hated that Cai would eternally be getting his way.

"Fine." She told him. "But at least let me get my things and Kent's saddle."
Iavasel
Ranger of the North

Postby KeeperOfHearts » Sat Nov 27, 2004 6:09 pm

Reavan watched as Audrai stalked after Cai. The door slammed behind them. She resisted calling on her powers to hear what they were saying. She felt Ia's eye's on her back, and she turned back around. She let out a low sigh, and shrugged. She reached up and twisted a strand of dark hair around her finger.

"Cai is a strange one. He has a little of the Magic in him, as i do. But it is of no kind that i know of." she pursed her lips and slowly shook her head. "He has also been through much......As i suspect most of us here have. And Audrai...there is some tie between them. Not love, but something else. I do not know what. But i feel we can trust them." Reavan felt Ia's eyes on her and she looked up. Ia's eyes were filled with amusement.

" You shall be a valuble assect to our little group here. You percieve much." Ia said softly. Reavan's eye's widened in surprise.

"Our group..." she whispered quietly.
KeeperOfHearts
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Iavasel » Sat Nov 27, 2004 9:06 pm

Audrai re-entered the building considerably wetter and in a foul temper with Cai. Just inside the threshold she shook herself energetically and sprayed the already wet floor with more rainwater. As Cai had pulled her out rather hastily, she hadn't had time to grab her cloak from where it had been drying by the fire, and so without its protection, she was uncomfortably soaked through.

Cai watched her through the lighted window, and saw her move away towards her room, then come back carry her pack and Kent's gargantuan saddle across her back. She paid the innkeeper and stopped by the table with the two women once more.

Saying good evening and goodbye, Cai hoped, but her body language through the window didn't make it look like she was about to leave. Cai settled in to wait for a few moments, but when she put the saddle down under the table and sat down again he stood up and slammed his fist into the stable wall, making the horse closest to him whinny.

He stood in the cold rain, allowing it to pelt down unchecked while Cetar sat by his feet with drooping ears, squinting up at Cai through the water.

Cai looked at him and flashed him an image of the rest of the pack. Cetar wagged his tail and stood up.

In their silent agreement Cai loped off into the darkness with Cetar close beside him, leaving Audrai and the inn behind.
Iavasel
Ranger of the North

Postby feaguire » Sun Nov 28, 2004 2:27 am

"Yes!" Talanya smiled at Reavan and Ia. "This is our group, and we all play important parts in it! We were all called here by fate to be together for a reason that is beyond me. And I do agree with you, Reavan. Cai and Audrai are so different, yet so much alike in a way I can not see. They are connected."

"Not even I could see what brings them together," Reavan said, her eyes slowly drifting from Ia to Talanya. "For it is not for anyone to see."

There was a tinkle of the little bell that was above the door of the tavern.
They all turned to see who had come in. To their suprise it was Audrai, without Cai.

"I wander where he is." Ia queried. They all understood who she meant when she said he.

"We will find out soon enough." Talanya said. She, like everyone else, expected Audrai to come back over to their table.
She did not.
"Is she leaving?" Talanya asked. "She can't!"

"She is taking her things and paying for her food," Reavan muttered. "She's leaving."

Soon enough, though, Audrai turned over to their table.

"You cannot leave!" Talanya pleaded.

"I am afraid myself and Cai will have to leave Tal," She smiled gently at all of them. "But only for a while."

"What do you mean 'only for a while'?" Ia asked.

"I have a plan." Audrai tucked the saddle she was carrying under the table and sat down.

"Cai wants to leave. I don't know why, I will have to find that out later. I do not want to leave, though, but I must." They all nodded. "I need you to all follow the main road out of this town tonight about an hour after we leave. There will be a cluster of trees a few miles down the road. When you get there Cai and I should already be camped there, I will make Cai stop. The fire you see there will be ours, make sure you are not seen and in the morning, if you walk eastwards into the trees you should find a hidden path. Follow the path with no stops, do not worry it is not long, it will lead back onto the main road. Wait there. Cai and I should come along shortly. We shall meet and it will seem an accadent to Cai. We can all journey together from there." She finished talking and saw their faces were all in awe. "Well? Is that an okay plan?"

"How do you know so much about the land?" Reavan asked.

"Just trust me." Audrai insisted.

"It is a good plan," Ia said. "For I would like to continue to talk with all of you, about matters that need to be discussed.

They all nodded in agreement as Audrai got up to leave. She stepped outside into the cold rain and was gone. They sat in silence not sure of what to say to each other. The tinkle of the bell above the tavern door broke the silence. Once again they all turned to look and once again they were suprised to find Audrai came in, alone.

"He is gone!" She whispered.
feaguire
Ranger of the North

Postby Iavasel » Sun Nov 28, 2004 5:56 pm

Cai could feel rather than see the wolves flow around him. He had found them, as he had expected, not far from the city walls, and as he began to move off into the night with them, each moved near him briefly to run a while with him and then gave way to another. A sort of greeting, checking in with each other.

Cai led them loosely North, but allowed them a wide range of motion and a slow pace. There was no real need for speed at this point. As good a hunter as Audrai was, in the dark and rain he doubted that she would be able to find him, even if she did come after him, and with fifteen extra sets of eyes, if she got remotely close he would know about it.

Despite the cold and wet, the pack radiated a degree of freshness and excitement. Since Cai and Audrai had been in the city for the past few days, the wolves had stayed close and had contented themselves with small game around the perimeter of the city. Now Cai was back with them and he sent them no sense of danger or urgency anymore, they sent him image after image of rabbits and squirrels, eager to bring something down.

Thireth, speeding ahead sent him an excited thought, showing him something huge and black pounding along the road through the trees. Cetar sent him the same picture with a tinge of nervousness, and Fiere sent him the clearest picture out of the three of them, of a huge black horse bearing a rider in grey. Cai watched as the rider in Fiere’s thought wheeled suddenly and peered into the night, looking directly at Fiere so that even Cai felt a twinge, concealed as he was. He saw Audrai up on Kent’s dark back pound her thigh with her fist in frustration and click softly to Kent. The wind had blown her hood back, and her thick dark hair was plastered to her face by the rain. Audrai had an expression on her face that in several other women would have turned to tears, but Cai had no doubts that but for the rain, her face was dry.

He also knew that besides her anger, she was thinking of Nel, and that made him think of her too. It struck him as slightly funny that whatever Audrai felt right now, he was probably feeling something close to it as well. He half laughed then inclined his head slightly in a purely human habit, and sent the wolves images to make it clear that this was not to be hunted.

Audrai stabled Kent again and brushed him down so aggressively that the huge patient animal turned his great head and had to pull on her arm before she got the message, apologized, and was more careful of her motions. She patted him absently when she had finished and braved the rain again to get back to the inn.

Audrai shook the water off of her as she stepped into the inn again. This was becoming an unpleasant trend, she thought, pushing her soaking hair out of her eyes.

Kent’s dripping saddle was placed under the table, with one foot resting protectively on top of it, and Audrai plopped down with a rather soggy squish, and exclaimed to her table mates, “He’s gone.”

She wanted to put a great deal more into that sentence, but after the nights events that was all that she could manage.

“And I won’t find him now unless he wants to be found.” She added, glowering at the table.

“Well,” she looked at Ia. “What direction are you heading in? If you’re going north I can accompany you for a bit. That’s where I’m going, and hopefully Cai will be heading in that direction too. It would be some company at least. And if you said you wanted to wait until morning, that would be a big plus too.”

Before Ia could even respond it occurred to Audrai that Ia hadn’t really even indicated if she was traveling anywhere, or if her business was here in town. Nor did she really know anything about Ia, Talanya or Reaven.

Wow, calm down a bit. Her brain told her. Audrai took a deep breath and settled down into her chair. “Alright.” She said, “before we actually do that, maybe we ought to get a few things clarified. Ia, Tal thinks you’re important in some way, and I’m guessing the same is true for Raeven.” Tal blushed and Reaven looked slightly taken aback, but neither protested. “And it seems that I’m just thrown in, but I’d like to help if I can. So perhaps if we all knew your business a bit better…”

Audrai began to feel that perhaps what was left of her evening was beginning to come together now that that was out in the open, but lots of things were still up in the air.
Iavasel
Ranger of the North

Postby feaguire » Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:49 pm

Ia took a deep breath. "There is nothing particulary important about me," she looked into Talanya's eyes. "But I am not here just for the fun of it."

"Well, I'm not sure why I am here," Reavan said. "But Tal is correct. There is something important about you that I think is the reason."

"It is a long story," Ia buried her face in her hands. "So I do no think now is the time to tell it." She looked over towards Talanya, the youngest one at the table. Tal's eyelids drooped and she seemed to look very tired.

"You are right, Iavassilien," Audrai smiled, noticing Talanya's sleepy expression. "I think Tal is about to fall asleep at the table. We will all get a good nights rest and then we shall hear Ia's tale, and everybody elses."

They all nodded and stood up.

Reavan looked at her new found friends. "I will pay for a room we can share together."

"You do not have to do that, dear," Ia kindly took Reavan's hand in her own. "We can all help to pay."

"I have lots of money." Reavan insisted. "I have nothing else I would want to sped it on and I am very greatfull to have you as my friends." Then she added quietly "I have no others..."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Ia, Audrai, Reavan and Talanya all walked into the small room that they had hired for the night. They had agreed to let Reaven pay. The room had four beds in two bedrooms. Ia and Audrai were to share one room and Reavan and Talanya were to share the other.

Talanya was greatfull for the bed, and quickly slipped the shoes off her exhausted feet and practically jumped into the bed that was hers. Before she fell into peacefull dreams of beautiful things, though, she thought about the series of events that had taken place that afternoon. She looked over to the sleeping form of Reavan and wandered what tale she had to tell to them. Then she thought of Audrai, and finally Ia. What Ia's tale would be excited her the most, but soon thoughts of that kind drifted from her mind as she fell into a deep, calm sleep.
feaguire
Ranger of the North

Postby Iavasel » Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:52 pm

The cold was beginning to get to Audrai, however at this time of night there would be no calling down to the kitchen to send up for hot water, so rubbing herself down vigourously with what clothing was not already wet, Audrai brushed out and rebraided her hair into some semblance of order, though despite her best efforts small tendrils still escaped and curled crazily about her pale face.

She lay out her clothing by the fireplace (for Reavan's money had apparently paid for a very good room indeed to have its own fireplace) so that it could get whatever heat still radiated from the dying coals. With the wine that she had drunk that night and all the running around she had done, she gladly anticipated sleep. She hit the soft pillow (and again, thought that Reavan had done very well for whatever money she had paid the innkeeper) and immediately felt her body accept the softness by trying to echo it. However, despite whatever her body was crying out for her thoughts kept her awake, roving wildly to Cai, to Nel, to home, to her new companions in crazy circles.

Frustrated, she sat up and leaned against the wall behind her, the blankets wrapped firmly around her to fight off the chill. As her eyes adjusted she became aware of something that at first made her jump, and then she remembered where she was, and realized that it was only Ia, sitting in the bed by the window in much the same attitude, only looking at the stars instead.

"You too, huh?" She asked. She could see Ia's moonlit face smile out into the night, but she was not sure if it was in response to their shared insomnia, or due to something else that Audrai was not part of. Perhaps Ia hadn't even heard her. She shook her head, musing that she hadn't even known these people for the better part of an hour and yet here she was laying down in the same room with one of them. Perhaps that was what kept her awake, she thought, some preconditioned vigilence that told her never to become too trusting too fast, especially on the road.

She leaned her head back to rest on the wall behind her and reflected that she didn't even mind sharing the room with a stranger, which in itself was surprising.
Iavasel
Ranger of the North

Postby KeeperOfHearts » Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:40 pm

Moonlight sparkled briefly in through a window, illuminating a pale face, outlined with jet-black hair. She sat cross legged, her eyes shut, not a muscle moving, completely still. But her ming was not. Ideas, question, observations tumbled over each other, spinning around, giving Reavan a pounding headache. Why had she helped them? Why did she seem like she had known Ia before? Why was she planning to go with them? Part of it, of course, was the old woman's prophecy. But even before she found out Ia's name, she had known in her heart that she would go with them, wherever they would go. Could they, perhaps, become friends, she thought tentatively. She has never a friend, unless you counted the old woman. Reavan bowed her head, slightly, in silent grief as she thought of the old woman. She slowly strected back, easing the cramps out of her muscles. She lay back, burrying her head into the soft pillow, relaxing for the first time, sinse she had seen Ia. She had payed alot for these rooms. But then again, people were always willing to pay money to see a wizard perform. A brief smile flitted across her face. She reached out with her mind, as she always did, before sleeping.

In her mind she rushed over the rain, merging with it, now exulting in the power to make these puny mortals drenched and miserable. Down, down down, into the earth, the wise deep power, over centuies accumulated.

In an Inn, far away from where her mind was, Reavan lay in the bed, a smile of exulatent power on her face.
KeeperOfHearts
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Iavasel » Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:03 pm

(this first part is in reaction to Reavan's action)

The pack had hunted successfully, and with full stomachs and their leader restored to them they were content, and sent Cai languid successions of happy images, the most frequent of which was a gold wolf on a black background, the symbol they always used to identify him.

The rain had slacked off for a while, but was now beginning again with a new fury. From what had been peace and ease Cai found something else invading his thoughts, and something made him look up at the sky. He found nothing, as he had expected, but the feeling stayed. It wasn't malignant, it was simply watchful, but being watched was something that Cai had never particularly favored.

Near dawn Audrai came awake with a fitful twitch which caused her to bang her head painfully against the wall. She had been dozing all night but never really fell into a deep sleep, and as she became fully awake she realized that she also hadn't moved all night, she was still sitting up with her back propped against the wall.

Exhausted and disgruntled she finally gave up the idea that she would get some decent rest and pulled on her still damp clothes in the dark.

Out of habit she took her pack as well and headed downstairs to the common room which was lit only by the dim light of the low kitchen fires from the next room that had not been put out all night. Sitting down at a table in the near darkness, she sat for a moment in the still and calm, listening to the far away patter of rain. Far away and it should stay like that, she thought.

She sighed. "Alright, alright." She told the ceiling. "I got it." She shook her head. "I've got too much conscience." And someone else has too little, she thought frowning.

She moved closer to the kitchen door and penned a careful note. She read it over to herself before she sealed and tiptoed back upstairs to push under Ia's door.

Ia, Reavan, and Tal

I am so sorry to leave you like this, as I have only just met you and agreed to join you, and before my promise has even had time to cool I have already broken it. I know that Cai can take care of himself, however I am under such obligations that I really cannot allow myself to give up on his trail. I could not return home if I did.

To all of you, I wish I knew you better. I believe you all have something valuble to tell. To Ia especially, I hope that you find what you are looking for, because you've got the same look on your face that I do at the moment because I have failed to find Cai.

I wish I could still offer you my service, however my word will not go totally unhonored. Know that if you are ever in trouble you may ask supplication from the people of Beireth, under her majesty the Queen Lilnyaen. I have sent a letter of introduction ahead of you. The captain of the gaurd, Eiflys-rai or my sister the Lady Epinel will most especially be pleased to come to your aid should you require it.

Our paths may yet meet, as the road is long, but for now, fare well dear friends, and keep well.

Audrai

Audrai sighed again as she passed through the inn door, thinking that it was quickly becoming a nasty habit. She saddled Kent and led him out of the yard for the last time, into the misty dawn.
Iavasel
Ranger of the North

Postby feaguire » Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:18 am

Talanya woke to the sound of voices outside her room. The sun was fairly high into the sky and she could hear the birds singing outside her window.
Reavan wasn't in her bed.
Tal walked slowly out of the small bedroom to the dining room, where she found Ia and Reavan sitting by the fire. They were deep in discussion and she noticed that Ia had a piece of paper in her hand. They looked up as she came in.

"What are you talking about?" She mused. Then in a more serious tone she asked "Where is Audrai?"

Reavan looked at Ia, Ia smiled kindly at Tal. "Read this, dear." She handed the paper to Talanya.

Tal took the paper and began to read. She soon found it was a letter from Audrai. A goodbye letter. "She has gone than?" Tal whispered, not taking her eyes from the paper.

Reavan nodded. "Ia woke up early and found the note, I was then woken and we talked about it, and about Audrai," she said gently. "You then woke. None of us got to say a proper goodbye."

"I am sure we will meet her again in another time." Ia added hopefully.

"Maybe..." Talanya croaked. "I will get dressed now, and pack my things. We have alot to talk about."

She wandered back to the bedroom. Tal was upset that Audrai had left. She had wanted to get to know her more, and become her friend. Audrai had seemed like a nice person.

Once she was dressed she packed all the things she had with her (which wasn't much) and stepped back outside to the dining room to meet the others.

"Well," Ia sighed. "I suppose we all have some explaining to do."

"Lets explain over breakfast than," Reavan grinned. "It comes free with the room, it would be a pitty to waste it."

"Let us go than." Tal smiled.
feaguire
Ranger of the North

Next

Return to Role Playing: The Green Dragon Inn (Tolkien-Influenced Fantasy)