OOC-Freya: Hymn of the Battle Maidens

This forum is for role-playing within settings that influenced Tolkien (non-Middle-earth). Acceptable styles include for Celtic, Norse, Kalevala, Arthurian, and Anglo-Saxon.

OOC-Freya: Hymn of the Battle Maidens

Postby Diov » Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:38 pm

Freya: Hymn of the Battle Maidens

Great Goddess, I pray to you to become what you want of me. I give you everything you should ever ask for, and pray that my life will be used in your services to better create the world you envision.

Research: Freya was the Norse Goddess of Love, Sex, and Fertility. She was the leader of the Valkyires. She led them into battle in a chariot drawn by two large feline animals. They led the fallen warriors to Valhalla, to feast in the Halls with Odin. It was rumored through the mythology that she was also the lover (not the wife of) Odin. Valkyrie literally translates to "Chooser of the Slain."

Ragnarok: The end of the Old World in Norse Mythology. It was the final battle between Odin, the God of Thunder, and his followers (including the fallen warriors of old who had feasted in the Halls of Valhalla waiting for The Final Battle to take place), against the Fire God, Loki, and his followers (including the Goddess of Death, Hel, the frost giants and all the unworthy souls who did not go to Valhalla).

Eventually Odin is swallowed by Fenrir, the Wolf son of Loki, ending the battle, and giving way to the New World, the one we inhabit now.

The Characters: Each player will play one of the Valkyries (Hildegard, Melingard, Luingard, Bellagard, Audhild, Edagard, Gunnhild, Grimhild, Haldigard, Jorunngard, Hlathguth, Mistingard, Hristgrith, Livhild, Olrungrith, Randgrith, Rathgrith, Regrith, Sigrdrifa, Sigrun, Skegard, Skogard, Skuldhild, Svavagrith, or Thruthgard) or a warrior.

These names are not given as ranks, they each have a specific job. They are not better than the other, though some are stronger (that is how they are listed above).

For bios either pick a Valkyrie and describe her, giving her an appearance and a job, or a warrior. Remember, these are Viking-type warriors, it is set in that general time period.

**NOTE: NOT ALL OF THESE WOMEN NEED TO BE PLAYED. MOST CAN BE NON-PLAYER CHARACTERS!**

Also, we will need a Freya, whose character will not be large role. She will just deal out some random orders.

Storyline: It's the story of Ragnarok told from the perspective of the Valkyries and the fallen warriors. The end of the world. It will start few years before the great battle. The opening IC post I will write from Odin's POV and he will have a vision concerning the battle. We will begin with preparations for the Final Assault. Each branch of the God's heirarchy preparing themselves as best as is possible.

If anyone wants to play the opposing side, Loki, Hel, and any other monster, that would also be acceptable and would probably add quite a bit to the storyline.

** NOTE 2: The good guys are going to lose…actually everyone kind of loses…everyone dies…You have to be ready for that**

If you have any questions or such you can post it in here or e-mail me at:

jdthai_no7@yahoo.com

By the way, I am going to play Melingard, I will post the bio in another post.

Mods: I hope this is an ok start.
Last edited by Diov on Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diov
Shield Bearer

Postby Errand » Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:57 pm

You write well. So, I guess I'll post a bio. Be warned that I may not stick to being a strictly vintage Viking. My style currently is in a pseudo modern phase, so take it in mind when you're considering if you'll accept the character or not. Anyway, I'll be more of a guest character than anything, and will leave when I feel it's appropriate to do so.

Name: Rain
Height: 6'6

Summary: Rain's a warrior, his preffered weapon is the spear. He died a couple hundred years back and has been roaming the frozen wastelands of the Ice Giants since then, slaying one fell foe after another. Why? When he feels the bite of iron in flesh, when he sees the crimson stain the ground, when he stares down a foes strong beyond belief, he feels... joy.

Only occasionally does he wander into Asgard, preferring the joy of the battlefield. As a result, his social graces are just a bit lacking. He's blunt and tells it like it is. A nice fella, even gallant at times since he likes helping people out, but he speaks directly and cares but little for a lot of things others take seriously.

Think of him as the young hero who helps others using his natural abilities, and hones his skills for fun. The coming war to end all wars has brought him back to Asgard, ready to die for the final time. but when he does walk that shadowed valley, rest assured that there will be a small army behind him, walking that same, uncertain path.
Errand
Shield Bearer

Postby Raistlin_warog » Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:13 pm

this is great heres my bio:

Name: Raistlin
Race: Human
Weapons: battle sword battle axe dagger etc
Background story: A Fierce viking warrior who fought in the battles of own, but died a hero.
Last edited by Raistlin_warog on Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Raistlin_warog
Shield Bearer

Postby Diov » Sun Sep 05, 2004 4:23 pm

FROM HERE UNTIL WE DECIDE TO OFFICIALLY START: NO MORE IN CHARACTER POSTS

Plus, I need to approve the character first. :)

Errand: I like your character. Stop in whenever you feel like it.

Raistlin_warog: I have seen your character around before. You dont want to use that character in this RP due to the fact that there aren't any Rangers. You are a Valkyrie or a FALLEN VIKING WARRIOR. Okies?

Edit to say: Raistlin_warog- That above comment is not directed at you, I was just commenting on that face because seeing your name in the other reminded me...didn't mean to sound all ruthless and condescending (sp).
Diov
Shield Bearer

Postby Raistlin_warog » Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:43 am

Thats fine mate, i can be a fallen viking warrior if you want i will edit my bio :)
Raistlin_warog
Shield Bearer

Postby Diov » Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:14 pm

That's great Raistlin, thank-you very much.

We need a few Valkyries before we can start...I will get my bio up REALLY soon, probably tonight, well my night.

See you then!
Diov
Shield Bearer

Postby Errand » Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:41 pm

Well, I stopped by as you suggested and posted an intro for my character. Basically, I've outlined his motivations and his personality a bit. Feel free to tell me any problems you want fixed.
Errand
Shield Bearer

Postby Diov » Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:09 am

I am going to be picky because that was fabby!

The lanuage is a bit modern for the era. I mean there is NO WAY you are going to get it right on, we don't live there, but the "ain't" and "eh" stuck out to me just a bit.

Oh, and are both of the guys that are fighting in your post against the Odin side? Cause if they are then they wouldn't be fighting against each other in Ragnarok, they would be on the same side.

It seems like Rain is just sort of so-so, but he has to end up one way or the other. And the other guy is definitely Anti-Odin. Just needed a bit of clarification.

Besides that is was a great post.

That's a good point >thinks to self<

If you want to post an IC post with some charater development, that's cool.

My bio. Coming soon.
Diov
Shield Bearer

Postby Diov » Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:57 am

Name: Melingard
Race: Valkyrie
Hair: Red, long
Eyes: White
Height: 7'
Weight: 215
Weapons: Long sword, various daggers
Basic appearance: Full battle armor colored red. Large black, feathered wings rising from her back.
Job: Retrieve fallen warriors, lead the to Valhalla, serve in the Hall, and is the left Handmaiden to Freya (Hildegard is the right)

History: She's a Valkyrie...there isn't much history there.[/b]
Diov
Shield Bearer

Postby Errand » Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:43 pm

Yeah I warned you about the language. I felt it gave more of a carefree feel, and yet at the same time, a cool tone. I'll tone it down in later posts. The other guy was on the opposing side.

Rain's attitude is just like that. Carefree. He doesn't feel any obligations or real loyalty to Odin since he doesn't really know the guy. Ragnarok is just one more battle. It's not that he's a rebel, he just has a pragmatic, open view of the world.
Errand
Shield Bearer

Postby foodaddict » Sat Oct 30, 2004 10:43 pm

Yes! Finally a thread about Ragnarok! :D I wish we could RP the game, but that would be too conventional. :P
I'd like to join and fill in for Hel probably, but I can't do Loki because I'm not very good at writing hopelessly evil (meaning evil without a real cause to be so--meaning without motivation) characters. Hel I can probably write, but I'd like to write a Valkyrie as well...hmmm.... @.@ Am wallowing in indecision right now, and I apologize, but I'll be back soon when I'm very, very certain as to what my character will be. :lol:
'Till then, ciao! :D
foodaddict
Rider of the Mark

Postby Diov » Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:24 am

YAH!!! Interest!!

Hel, awesome, I was afraid we would get no one to fill in the bad guy places.

As for the Valkyries, yah, just pick one and write the profile.

Glad to have you aboard!!
Diov
Shield Bearer

Postby foodaddict » Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:47 am

Okay, great! :D I'll play Hel then, and if you'd like maybe a Valkyrie. I'll go read the IC and see how far the plot's gone. Are we ushering in Ragnarok, or has it already begun?
foodaddict
Rider of the Mark

Postby foodaddict » Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:25 am

I've read it all and I'm very impressed with what I've read so far. 8) From what I understand, we're standing on the brink of Ragnarok, with Odin revving up for it and the dark side doing so as well (hehe...I have yet to write the post from their point of view). I was thinking we'd lengthen the plot by starting off with the release of Fenrir, which marks the start of Ragnarok. However, seeing the first post, I see that Fenrir is already free, thus Ragnarok has officially begun.
Maybe you can write an introductory post, Diov, from the Valkyrie's point of view, showing their frustration in being unable to stop Loki and his side from freeing Fenrir, and maybe Freya holding a council as to what to do. Meanwhile, I can write a post that has the dark side rejoicing and planning the next step in the battle to defeat Odin. From what I recall in terms of Norse mythology, Loki and those on his side never really believed in Ragnarok and simply wanted to overthrow Odin. Unwittingly, they sparked Ragnarok, the final battle. It's more of a war, however, since they didn't just all meet up and kill each other. There were steps--sort of a quest--that Loki's side took to overthrow Odin, which the Valkyries and Odin's people tried their very best to stop. In the end we have everyone killing each other. Correct me if I'm wrong on this, of course. :wink:
And now here's Hel's bio (not that she really needs one :wink: )

Name: Hel

Race: Aesir Goddess

Appearance: Beautiful woman from the waist up, rotting corpse from the waist down.

Background: The goddess of the dead, who presides over the fallen who did not go to Valhalla. She abides in Niflheim, below Midgard, which is the lowest level of the earth. Daughter of Loki, actually a pretty fair and just character, despite her lineage and allegiance.

I'll go post in the IC once I do more research as to what Loki and his side were up to after they freed Fenrir.
And Happy All Souls' Day, by the way. :wink:
foodaddict
Rider of the Mark

Postby Diov » Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:26 am

foodaddict

Sounds good. I am waiting on writing the IC posts until I have more characters to be played.

I will write as Meligard and will probably play Freya as well.

Yah...running out of net time...will be back soon!!
Diov
Shield Bearer

Postby foodaddict » Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:00 am

Okay. :D I'll be checking now and then for new posts, okay? :D In case you need me, my e-mail address is azey13@yahoo.com. :wink: See you 'till then. :D
foodaddict
Rider of the Mark

Postby Diov » Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:16 pm

foodaddict

Remember the Valkyire bio.

We need more people to join with characters before we can really start playing.

I am working on some new IC posts, just wait till I get them up. Hang in there with me guys!!
Diov
Shield Bearer

Postby foodaddict » Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:10 am

Diov, I'll be back soon with the bio, so don't worry. :wink:
foodaddict
Rider of the Mark

Postby feaguire » Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:08 am

Hey! Is it too late for me to join too? If it isn't I was thinkin I my charicter could be a Valkyrie, maybe Sigrun? I like that name because it starts what S like my real name! :angel:
feaguire
Ranger of the North

Postby Diov » Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:30 am

It certainly is not too late to join, I would really love to have a few more before we start.

I am working on writing some IC stuff, just keep looking for it.

And make sure that your bios are as detailed as you can get them.

Thanks-guys.
Diov
Shield Bearer

Postby feaguire » Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:51 pm

Hey! This is my bio:

Name: Sigrun
Race: Valkyrie
Hair: Very, very long white-blonde
Eyes: Blue with traces of other colours in them
Height: Same as Melingard
Weight: Same as Melingard
Weapons: Bow and arrows - also has a long knife
Basic appearance: Battle armour in blue
Job: Warrior - usually shoots enemies from distances with her bow and arrows, but can also fight on the battle line
feaguire
Ranger of the North

Postby feaguire » Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:17 pm

I have NO idea where i can come in with the actaul thread.
Do you have any ideas?

Feaguire :?
feaguire
Ranger of the North

Postby Diov » Sat Nov 13, 2004 4:36 am

We are working on that...

We haven't really worked a whole lot on the IC to date. We are working on the characters and then are going to go from there.

So, just hold tight.
Diov
Shield Bearer

Postby KeeperOfHearts » Sat Nov 13, 2004 9:36 am

Hey everyone!
I would realy like to join this thread, but i dont know alot about Norse Milthology... :cry:
KeeperOfHearts
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Diov » Sat Nov 13, 2004 10:22 pm

We would love to have you.

And, by the way.

Research is what we call it when we have to find things out about what we don't know.

>smiles really big<

It's not too hard, the net has a lot to offer.

Hope you don't mind a little extra work to join in, cause I would love to see you hangin with us.
Diov
Shield Bearer

Postby Diov » Sun Nov 14, 2004 7:09 am

So, we could also play that first post, the Odin one, as a future thing.

Then we could back, before the release of Fenrir, and play all of that.

I don't know how much you guys want to play, but as was mentioned before, Ragnarok was not just a battle, but more of a long lasting war, that ended in one, final battle.

In that post Odin is standing on the edge of the Final Battle, but I think we need to play some before that to lead up to it...

If that makes even a little bit of sense to anyone else I will be REALLY surprised...
Diov
Shield Bearer

Postby KeeperOfHearts » Sun Nov 14, 2004 7:19 am

hahaha, but i didn't expect it to make sense...O.o...because i havent done my so called "research" (lol) yet, and when i do, maybe I'll figure it out...^.^
So I'm off to do some research, and if you dont mind I'll post my Bio after ive done the research, Ok? Thanks so much!!!!!!! :) :lol: :!: 8) :rofl: :D :angel:

*keeper*
KeeperOfHearts
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Diov » Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:15 am

addict, you owe me a bio.

I want to start soon...even with the limited number of characters that we have.

Once we have addict's and Keeper's bios, we will officially start.

If you guys have e-mail addys that I can have to get a hold of you that would also be a real help.

jdthai_no7@yahoo.com

AIM: tenacioustwinkie

MSN: jdthai_no7@hotmail.com

Thank-you much.

>Diov.
Diov
Shield Bearer

Postby feaguire » Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:40 pm

I thought this was dead! :shock:

I think you've got my e-mail addy, but I'll write it anyway, for everyone else.

MSN: sofchalina@hotmail.com

Anyone can e-mail me at any time they want! :lol:

Fea :)
feaguire
Ranger of the North

Postby Eriugeaf » Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:32 pm

I read this through and want to resurrect it!

I want to be a Valkyire! Audhild

Name: Audhild

Apperance: Long blue-black hair that is wavy and wild. Light skin. Bright blue eyes. Tall. Wings that match her hair colour. Wings are not made of feathers, but skin and bone structure. (like a dragon) Very beautiful in a menacing way.

Attire: Ragged clothes. A black dress down to her knees, with white under dress. Knee high boots. Belt with sheat for sword and dagger. Arrow slung over shoulder with quiver of arrows on her side attached to belt. (can't put on back because of wings.) No armour.

Personality: She is fast and strong. A great fighter, yet is best with a bow. She is very proud and likes competitions, mainly because she can always win them. She is intelligent. She is not too nice, and is often snappy and mean.

Hope this isn't dead! I really want to join in!

Eri :D
Eriugeaf
Ranger of the North

Next

Return to Role Playing: The Green Dragon Inn (Tolkien-Influenced Fantasy)