OOC: The Chronicles Of Reist

This forum is for role-playing within settings that influenced Tolkien (non-Middle-earth). Acceptable styles include for Celtic, Norse, Kalevala, Arthurian, and Anglo-Saxon.

Postby erinhue » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:28 pm

OK I finally got a post up. I cant tell ya much about Banar because I don' t know. He is 10 years old in the post but I don't think I will keep him that way. This post was mainly to establishe some ideas I had about Yarlek and how its culture fits in to the tale as it stands.

Yarlek is a religion based society and the religion is that they are keepers of the ancient knowledge. They are guarding a volcano and they believe the legend about the dragons, or at least their version of it. They think the dragons will return and they also think the shades will return. I think they think the Calista Birds are a sign, a timeclock to doomsday so to speak. Personally I think the dragons departed by way of the volcano and so do the folk of Yarlek.

In my next post I think I shall age Bandar a bit and have him do something with that volcano. If he goes a-traveling he will be taking Var and someone else along. I think Var belongs in this story and the other person I shall invent mainly to have someone to kill off when the plot needs the boost. :twisted: Yes I know but RP can be cruel. :twisted:
erinhue
Warrior/Bard of Belfalas Illuvatar's Bright Spirit

Re: The Master List Of Everything!

Postby feaguire » Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:02 pm

ElvenWanderer wrote:(Sorry, I'm an obsessive compulsive neat freak) :roll:

Don't worry EW! I am too!

When I'm stressed, I make a list about whatever it is I'm stressed about, then I feel much better!

Fea :)
feaguire
Ranger of the North

Postby The_Fool » Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:49 pm

Ro wrote:Panic attack. Fool, I'm gonna need you lots here.

No problem my friend :D If I can catch you online soon we can have a chat about how we want to sort things out :)

EW, many thanks for the update, and, if you like, Cadell and Garia can start with another group not situated in Brahna. Perhaps looking after Fae's character? If Fae's interested of course. I'm pretty flexible as to when and where Cadell begins in the story, since he's a wanderer, and not linked to a certain elemental township.

Willow, I wouldn't mind a copy of that email, you never know when such things come in handy, and considering Cadell's ranging ways I may have need of that information :)

Hue, fantastic post :D I thoroughly enjoyed the depth to which you wrote on Yarlek culture. And you read my mind, I was wondering about characters to kill :wink: I may have one of my own, but we'll cross that bridge if and when we come to it. :D

I have one final question, with regards to the seperation of the groups. Will there be a way for the mages to contact one another? I'm assuming they will be able to scry amongst themselves, using water or fire as a means of communication. Those are the traditional scrying elements at least. That way a grid of communication can be built up between the mages even though they won't always be in contact physically. This could take some of the apprehension away from anyone who feels more secure staying in one group (I have no idea if anyone feels that way, I'm just covering all bases). So, what do you think? Wiggles his hand in a so-so gesture So good or no good?
The_Fool
Ranger of the North

Postby erinhue » Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:43 am

Thanks Facade I was thinking about that myself. I wondered how much contact was there between the cities? would these folks know each other or know of each other?

I will find a reason to set Bandar and Co on the road but I wonder about how and when any of these folk will hook up? We should be headed for the main city? I was gonna put in something about the "fortold time approaching, the ancient signs are becoming manifest" or some such rot. I figure we need a reason for the quest/ whatever it is to be taking place right now.

I figure that a good old fashioned volcanic erruption would be good enough sign for any one and it could have a more far reaching effect and that could be a jump off point. That's where my train of thought is going so..... to paraphrase my good friend in the post above, good...no good, or "Che, go get some coffee and think again"? 8)
erinhue

Postby undomiel » Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:25 am

EW, that sounds good to me. I'll begin writing a post though I don't know if I'll be able to get it up til after Christmas. :( We're leaving town tomorrow night and I have so much to do to get ready. Sigh. I wish the holidays weren't so hectic.

Fool, (Is it ok if I call you that? It sorta feels wrong to call someone a fool, but that is your name. :?) I like your idea. I can definetly see the Wind Mages using such means for communication. Something about the Wind carrying their voices. :)

Erinhue, as always you are an RP genius. :)

I suppose each group will start out with their own motivation to start looking for the jewels. For the Wind Mages, the need to stop Chiel in her quest to dominate all of the Mages will be motivation enough and to stop her Rien will need to gather as many Mages as possible to his cause. Others may start out with different reasons for their quests and then we can all meet up and join forces somewhere along the way. :)
undomiel
Ranger of the North

Postby Eltirwen » Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:58 am

Post up. Mostly introductory to the character and getting Eltirwen into Brahna.

As for the splitting up thing, I'm okay with whatever we decide. I do like the idea of a dormant volcano erupting, although wouldn't that destroy the town?
Eltirwen
Rider of the Mark

Postby ElvenWanderer » Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:06 pm

everyone has their own motivation for going. Whoever wants to start by heading out with the Brahna group is welcome to, although seperately is good. I think one group should head to one town, and another to a different one, and whatnot. Maybe the Brahna group will travel to Yalek and find out that the volcano has been acting up. Another group can somehow find out about Chiel. i don't know.

as far as the groups getting messages to one another, scrying is always a possibility, but in that case one group can see abother, but the people being viewed can't see anything. and of course, there's always the fact that until the groups have some members that have switched, so that they know about each other, they wont even know what else is going on.
ElvenWanderer
Shield Bearer

Postby erinhue » Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:45 pm

LoL perhaps, Eltirwen, but they do have a Fire Mage after all :wink:

It will all have to wait however as I shall be far to busy for the next few days. Camp Christmas opens officially tommorrow when my sister Trisha and her faimily arrive, then Geo will get here and everyone else. I just love the holidays and speaking of.........

HAPPY HOLIDAYS, MERRY CHRISTMAS, AND BRIGHTEST BLESSINGS TO YOU ALL :lol:
erinhue

Postby feaguire » Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:16 pm

Nice post Eltirwen!

I really liked it.

feaguire
Ranger of the North

Postby erinhue » Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:26 am

Ooooooooooh Yeah! 8) We got some quality stuff starting this thread off. I got real good feelings about this one, boys and girls. Could be another "Ocean Voyage" or even "Freedom" in the making. Let's not skimp on the Silver Thread while this tale is a-weaving. 8)
erinhue

Postby The_pointy_hat_trick » Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:39 am

Love the posts so far and MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE!!!!!!!!

Pointy is about to run away from her home village and make her way towards a city. I think shes going to become lost half way there so prehaps a group or a wanderer could find her?
Just an idea

oh Elvenwanderer, I've changed her age to 19 and my contact is : likearoseuk@hotmail.com
The_pointy_hat_trick
Rider of the Mark

Postby The_Fool » Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:16 pm

Pointy, Ro and I would be pleased to either have your character stumble across Cadella and Garia's camp, or have them stumble across hers. We were thinking they'd take you on without pay (Cadell would insist upon it, don't you worry :D) and escourt you to the nearest town. After that, they could part ways, wish her well, etc etc, and move along.
And, as Fate may decide, we shall see you later, when other groups merge. :)

There should be some interesting interaction between them. I can't imagine mercenaries would inspire much trust at first :wink: Let me know if you're interested, and which town you'd prefer to be taken to :wink:

Elti, I'm still interested in having the hirage with you as well. Your character does seem the most likely candidate. We'll see how things shape up shall we? :D

Wonderful posts everyone, I must agree with Hue on that account :D
The_Fool
Ranger of the North

Postby Eltirwen » Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:37 pm

:oops: Thanks for the compliments. I am only an egg.

Foolish, sounds good as long as you don't mind putting up with the menagerie. They're there for a reason. We'll see how things turn out, eh?

Pointy, nice post. Fool's idea sounds very good to me.

I have no utter idea what Odunar's important errand to the council is. Anybody got any suggestions? Perhaps a prophecy or something, they could conveniently ignore?
Eltirwen
Rider of the Mark

Postby naryatheringoffire » Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:16 pm

Fea: Thats a good idea, do you think our characters hould meet up in the desert or if not where?

Name: Anghir

Apperance: A very tall man about 6'4 covered entirely in a large dark green cloak which he rarely takes off. His hair and beard are long and dark brown. His eyes are bright emerald green althought they are rarely seen as he wears a wide brimmed hat also of dark green. Underneath his cloak he wears a sword which has passed through his family and is rumored to have been given to one of his distant grandfathers by a dragon

Personality: Years of wandering through the country have turned Anghir into a reclusive man who is rarely seen and always found in a corner but he is immeasurebly loyal to those who befriend him. He does not reveal his true age or name but his closest friends and allies being a very wise man due to his age.

History: Anghir was taught in the ways of the magic of Dragons by his father who left in search of the jewels but never returned. He has travelled through reist many times and has learnt all that can be learnt of the earth and its magic. He is accounted high in the high council of mages although he does not live in Brahna nor anywhere for he finds rest nowhere but in the mountains. He does not look his age, he looks to be about 40, which is 112 as he draws power from the earth to postpone his life span thought he will eventually die. He has wandered far over reist for many years ad knows much of it well but of late he has grown restless in heart and senses something to come.
naryatheringoffire
Rider of the Mark

Postby feaguire » Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:45 pm

Narya maybe Aldawen could see Anghir while she was in town and something could happen causing them to talk and they could become friends. Maybe they could feel some sort of connection and go to meet the others together after that.

I dunno?

Whatever works for you is fine!

feaguire
Ranger of the North

Postby The_pointy_hat_trick » Fri Dec 24, 2004 3:57 pm

The_Fool, That sounds great, and I agree that it would invoke some interesting situations between Cadell, Garia and Pointy. I don't have mind of a particular city at the moment so I think Pointy would be very grateful of your assistance, though a little nervous at first.
I think Pointy will want to find out why she has the ability to communicate/translate so prehaps yours or Ro's character could suggest where she could trace her origins, or something.
What do you think?

Eltirwen cheers!! I've never done a RP here before so I was stumbling a little!
The_pointy_hat_trick
Rider of the Mark

Postby The_Fool » Sat Dec 25, 2004 4:12 am

A quick reply to you Pointy before I crash after a day of Christmas revelry. Eru but I'm exhausted!

Your idea on the tracing of origins sounds good to me, and I'll be happy to run with it :D I should have a post up within a day or two, as I have no work due to the holiday season. It will probably end with their meeting :)

Ah, and of course, before I go, a MERRY CHRISTMAS to you all.
The_Fool
Ranger of the North

Postby Spirit_of_the_Willow » Sat Dec 25, 2004 8:43 pm

Interesting post EW. :shock: I don't think that Caedmon will like Rhavara very much. :D

Most of you know already that Rho has left TORC, so she won't be continuing here. This means I no longer have my plotting buddy. :( And Caedmon will need to join up with another group.

I'll try to get a post up introducing him and probably getting him out of Calet sometime in this next week. But after that all I know is that he has the intention of heading towards Brahna.

And I decided it would be easiest to just post what I've decided about the culture of Calet.

The Mages have a very reclusive society. They are focused on preserving the knowledge they have, and maintaining the status quo. Very few ever leave the village, and the few wanderers are somewhat looked down upon.

They have a building dedicated to healing those who come for their aid, so that the peace of the Academy(I could use some input on a better name) is preserved.

A great mystique surrounds them, and the villagers don't know very much about them (and hence neither to travellers). Since the town is deep in the forest, they are not much affected by any distrubances in the outside world. The villagers are very naive about the hard facts of life, for they do not have to face them, living as they do where their every illness and injury is taken care of swiftly.

There is a fairly large flow of people coming for healing, but they are not encouraged to linger. Partially as a result of the White Mages' reclusivness, partially because the forest is thick and frightening, in the villages on the eaves of the forest there has grown a fairly large community of people seeking to make a profit from those who come for healing. Some of these do have some genuine herb lore, though not the magic learned from the dragons, but most are pure frauds.

There's more about the culture of the Mages specifically, but you don't need to know that yet. :D

Fool I love your new sig pic. Who's the child?

Willow
Spirit_of_the_Willow
Ranger of the North

Postby Aglanor » Sun Dec 26, 2004 5:15 pm

Great posts everyone, and Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and all that...;):D

I think Damian will start out alone, and hook up with a group along the way, though Il'l have to see how it evolves.
Aglanor
Mariner

Postby undomiel » Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:36 am

I have no utter idea what Odunar's important errand to the council is. Anybody got any suggestions? Perhaps a prophecy or something, they could conveniently ignore?

Eltirwen, Rien is going to be traveling to Brahna to speak before the council. The Wind Mages have sent an urgent message to the council to warn them of impending danger by a defected Wind Mage and they've sent Rien to give the council a full account. The council will, of course, decide to do nothing. Perhaps Odunar could be the only or one of the few council members who votes in favor of action? Then when it's defeated he and Eltirwen could seek out Rien. Anyway, there's my suggestion.

Alright, seriously writing post now.
undomiel
Ranger of the North

Postby Eltirwen » Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:58 am

EW, :shock: She scares me. Somehow I don't think she'll be a friend on the journey. Very well written, just.... scary.

Undomiel, interesting idea. We'll have to see how my muse likes that idea, but it does make sense so far. And the whole Council thing would give the mercenaries time to get to Brahna :D Possibility for much drama here, yes? I think he also might want to consult with one of his friends on the council about Eltirwen and her dreams.
Eltirwen
Rider of the Mark

Postby The_Fool » Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:47 pm

Pointy, the post is up. I took a liberty with the stall blanket, but I figured it wouldn't matter too much :)

Willow, the child is Lufu, Frelga's character whom I had my other character mind at the Bard's wedding. :D Thanks for the information on the White Mages. 'twill come in handy me'thinks :wink:

Wonderful post EW. I'm intrigued :wink:
The_Fool
Ranger of the North

Postby Spirit_of_the_Willow » Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:09 pm

Ah, be still my pounding heart! I just posted.
Spirit_of_the_Willow
Ranger of the North

:)

Postby ElvenWanderer » Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:40 am

Great posts everyone!

I've got plans for Rhavara.... *evil laugh* she's not bad or good. she's just kind of neutral, she's protecting the forest.
ElvenWanderer
Shield Bearer

Postby Spirit_of_the_Willow » Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:56 am

The forest that Calet is in? . . . when are we getting that map? :wink:
Spirit_of_the_Willow
Ranger of the North

Postby The_pointy_hat_trick » Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:17 pm

Fool (is it ok to call you that??) Excellent post! and the stall blanket thing is fine, she left in a hurry so your right, Daeglow probably would have had one on. Am liking the back and forth between between Garia and Cadell, there seems to be some friction.

Nice posts ElvenWanderer and Spirit_of_the_willow too.
The_pointy_hat_trick
Rider of the Mark

Postby The_Fool » Tue Dec 28, 2004 4:01 pm

Willow, your post was fantastic :D I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and certainly can't wait to hear more. When will he leave precioussss, oh yesss we wondersss :wink:

EW, I've been thinking, you refered to Rhavara as (or at least the rumours refer to her as one) a forest spirit of sorts. I've decided to have Cadell follow a Godess of sorts, a deity of war and the earth. Perhaps, if ever he catches sight of Rhavara he could think her a sign from his Godess :P She certainly matches the sort of strength and sense of justice I imagine the deity possessing.

Pointy, I'm thrilled that you liked it :D Ro says she has no idea when inspiration will strike, so if the muse is prodding you, feel free to have Pointy wake up on the ride to camp =:)
The_Fool
Ranger of the North

Postby Spirit_of_the_Willow » Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:57 pm

Thanks Fool. :) He'll leave as soon as I figure out where he's going, and what lies between there and where he is. :D

Aiwe, nice post. Just so you know, I think that Voke misunderstood the White Mages hostility towards her. :D I'm not certain yet mind you, but I think that their refusal to accept her comes mostly from the fact that her coming and asking to be trained violated tradition than from any actual realization of her dark powers. But she's so focused on escaping/overcoming her dark powers that she thinks that is all anyone can see.
Spirit_of_the_Willow
Ranger of the North

Postby Aiwe » Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:44 pm

Perhaps....But let's not lay her out on the couch just yet, eh? ;)

And thank you for the compliment. I feel kinda overwhelmed RPing with all "the greats" here on this thread. :shock: :)

--Aiwe
Aiwe
Ranger of the North

Postby Spirit_of_the_Willow » Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:55 pm

Aiwe wrote:I feel kinda overwhelmed RPing with all "the greats" here on this thread. :shock: :)

Hear hear.

:)
Spirit_of_the_Willow
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing: The Green Dragon Inn (Tolkien-Influenced Fantasy)