The PLanning of the Soul's Rising OOC

This forum is for role-playing within settings that influenced Tolkien (non-Middle-earth). Acceptable styles include for Celtic, Norse, Kalevala, Arthurian, and Anglo-Saxon.

The PLanning of the Soul's Rising OOC

Postby Penny_to_pay » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:49 am

Hey. I don't know what someone will make of this bt it is just something i started a long time ago and thought someone would like. I'm not sure where i want to take it, but if anyone wants to pitch in they are welcome. I think thats the point anyway.

What i was thinking was there is someone with tow souls of a warrior inside tyhem after they are born. Read the thread to understand where i'm coming from.
This maks them a powerful warrior. But i was thinking of turning it into a life journey. Like say the storey starts when the boy, or girl, is 16ish and is sent to train as a warrior of one of the Larger houses.
This means that we can have battles and politics as well as everything else.

I don't want to play the main character but i was thinking more along the lines of a teacher, companion, mentor type person.

It would be nice to get some info back on this. :lol: please!!!!
Penny_to_pay
Shield Bearer

Postby skuld » Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:55 pm

I would certainly be interested in joining an RP like this. There are a few questions that I have before committing myself to anything though.

1. What types of characters are you looking for?
2. What time period are you playing, is it realistic? Fiction? Fantasy? Etc.
3. Are you playing the main character?
4. Is there a main character?
5. First, second, third person? : )

An any thing else that would make sense to include.

I know that this forum is for RPGs that are based on authors, or ideas that inspired Tolkien, so before we start I think it would be a good idea if we made a strong, solid connection between Tolkienian (Hahaha, funny word) time and what is being done here.

Just some suggestions I thought I'd throw out there.
If we can get this into a solid idea I would be very interested.

: )
skuld
Ranger of the North

Postby Penny_to_pay » Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:50 am

Thanks for the advice. I haven’t done this in a long time.

A1I know most of the people in here have stock characters that they can use in anything. I don’t mind what people what to do except that I’m a sort of weird dude with a dark history. I’ll post the CV later

A2 I hadn’t actually decide what sort of time but I had in my mind sort of Anglo-Saxon, early Medieval. And yes it is Fantasy

A3 and A4
I'm not playing the main character, but there is one. And anyone can do it. Another interesting idea I was thinking about was that maybe more than one person played it. The character, I haven't thought of names or anything that suit it so that’s up to anyone who cares to try, is supposed to have several souls of warriors inside them. It kind of makes sense then to have several patterns of thought which would make for an interesting read.

A5The idea is based around the idea that the main character has to train to be a warrior, but it is decided that they are too dangerous and volatile a character to be trained by this one house. So the character is sent away to other places to train. So lots of journeying and adventures, the standard, but hopefully different.

The whole idea is a total mish-mash of legends, religions and stories from all over the world and through time. The ‘souls rising’ is a twist on the Egyptian belief that they rose to the stars. The idea of the warrior reincarnation is a corruption of the Salamatian belief that great warriors came back as great horses. Then there is the idea of the Houses or clans, that’s both a Scottish thing and a Chinese thing. The training to be a warrior is definitely a Roman thing. If you can’t tell, I’m and archaeologist

By the way, I love the Death of Rats. But both a cool.
:P
Penny_to_pay
Shield Bearer

Postby blackthorn » Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:15 am

hi I like the story line very much

i will watch this thread to see how it is working out...but i might have a name for you if your character has mutable souls :)

tell me what you think

I am legion , I am one ,I am many, I am torture, I am pain, I am the destroyer,
Woo is the sorrow you will feel,
when your bones shall crushed beneath our heel
blackthorn
Rider of the Mark

Postby skuld » Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:31 am

blackthorn wrote:hi I like the story line very much

i will watch this thread to see how it is working out...but i might have a name for you if your character has mutable souls :)

tell me what you think

I am legion , I am one ,I am many, I am torture, I am pain, I am the destroyer,
Woo is the sorrow you will feel,
when your bones shall crushed beneath our heel

Erm...except for the first line of that I am not entirely sure I understood anything...:reads it again:...Nope, still not getting it.

:)

Ok, Penny (you mind if I call you that?). I think this is really cool, and supposing I end up joining (also read: since it's this cool), I will play Skuldhild, the Valkyrie, if that works.

Another note about tying this to Tolkien. The Mods are good about watching that so we must make sure that there is a STRONG connection between what we are doing and what Tolkien did, or what he was influcenced by.

I know the Nordic traditions lent a hand.
I'm not sure about Egyptian or anything else.
So it would probably be a good idea if we started there.

:)
skuld
Ranger of the North

Postby Penny_to_pay » Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:13 pm

I'm liking the idea of legion. Its sounds like a plan to me. I think we o with the NOrdic connections so its all cool. Make some character specs and we are good to go. If somene else wants to start it or do you wantme to expand a little?
Penny_to_pay
Shield Bearer

Postby Penny_to_pay » Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:13 pm

Sorry DP :roll:
Penny_to_pay
Shield Bearer

Postby blackthorn » Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:21 pm

OK I read the starter a couple of times and I got to ask is the main character like a demi god or avatar of the gods or are they some thing different..for if they were avatars there is always a god connection with the Nordic in there some were...I got a lot of questions but one at a time for now??
blackthorn
Rider of the Mark

Postby Astalder » Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:11 pm

So today I realized that I have a three-week break, and that while I will be busy with some stuff I will have a helluva a lot of free time. Now coming out of a college environment where one is constantly surrounded by people, being entertained, and the like I realize that as it gets dark here at 4:30 now I must entertain myself somehow. Then I had another epiphany, I remembered TORC and decided to bring myself back a few years and once again indulge my boyish fantasies through a character.

I came back, looked at some RP's and realized that this place has, in general, been rather dead. There was a decent one I was reading, then I looked at the date and it was from 2004. This one rather looked entertaining, even though it is in its infancy.

The point is I have three weeks within which I can post solidly, after that sporadically.

If you are willing to have me I am sure I can come up with a decent character that should be able to interact rather well with the plot, whatever it may be.

While this may be a little bit clichéd, I think that it may be better to deal with the main characters past life through a series of flashbacks rather than their whole life’s story. I am thinking that this way may be slightly more practical, although in the literary world, anything can be made to work. Furthermore, it would be rather excellent to decide on the era and how much leeway we are to have in our characters. I have a sort of character figured out, but I don't think he would fit very well in the early mediaeval period.

Just some random thoughts...
Astalder
Shield Bearer

Postby skuld » Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:45 am

I am rather sporadic as well, but they seem to accept me.
It's good to have you back, dear.

Now then.

Penny.
To make sure that we do not violate the terms of this forum I think we ought to limite the lineages of our characters to a few races/religions, if you see what I am saying. Norse OBVIOUSLY influenced Tolkien. So instead of letting anyone play anything (Japanese, Buddhist, etc) I think you should decide who and what you want. From there what sort of mythological creatures, as the character I proposed for myself is a Valkyrie.

Then, I think, we could start?

By the way, Astalder, what RP were you talking about?
skuld
Ranger of the North

Postby Astalder » Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:46 pm

Maybe this is a false memory but I seem to remember a time when there would be dozens of RP's going at the same time. Now their seems to be about a dozen RP's that are being posted in constantly. I do not remember the rp I was looking at specifically.

I am thinking of making my character an Irish thief who studied under a monk at one period in time, so rather of the Christian variety. At this time (I am assuming AD 500-1000) Christians were rather superstitious, so it would be no problem to have him alongside other mythological creatures, such as a Valkyrie.

Why not say that this is taking place at about AD 800 with the mythological creatures consisting of the Northern European, Irish, and Britain persuasions?
Astalder
Shield Bearer

Postby skuld » Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:25 pm

Sorry, I misread your comment.

But thank-you for the reply.

So, how's about getting this started?
skuld
Ranger of the North

Postby Astalder » Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:13 am

This is my character roughdraft. As I know very little about the age and place where this is taking place, I am not sure if you will find it acceptable. Please tell me if there is anything I should change.

Name: Kael
Race: A human male, but of the rather Irish variety.
Height: 5’8
Appearance: Lean, but not to wiry, of a rather medium build, rather agile as well. Long red hair of a slightly curly variety, hooked nose, narrow chin, bright green eyes. He definitely possesses his share of scars, including a rather noticeable one on his left cheekbone near the nose angling down towards the bottom cheekbone. His beard often hides this one though. A few longish scars on his torso and back, but quite the number of scars on his forearms. He has a few Weighs in at about 160-170 lbs, depending on how well off he is doing. Has a few Celtic tattoos, knotwork going across his right bicep, cross on his left forearm.
Clothing: Usually a brown cloak made of oilcloth with a rather expensive silver Celtic brooch made up of knots and centering around a raven, leather and wool shirts and trousers, high black leather boots. Often wears brown leather fingerless gloves.
Occupation/Skills: No real occupation, although thievery is his forte, but he can role in the mud with the rest of them. A rather versatile individual, jack-of-all-trades, expert at nothing. Good with bows, knives, stealth, and the wooing of women (which often gets him in trouble). Excellent at provoking fights and often winning them, although occasionally he does get beaten. He can definitely also consume his share of alcoholic beverages.
Personality: I intend to make this character of the witty variety, which will probably be rather difficult. A wooer of women, as already stated; one who is also rather good with people, and bartering. Usually puts a finer, happier spin on life. Prone to laughter and less often anger. When angry tends to forget small things like what has just happened, all that matters is the fight.
Weapons/Possessions: A long dagger, 12 inch blade, much like a pugio. Two throwing knives that are 10 inches in length of a leaf-blade design in his right coat sleeve, a small axe with a spike opposite of the blade strapped to his right. A short boot knife that has a talon shape, 3 ½ inch blade. A Celtic sword with a 27-inch leaf shaped blade on his left side. A 40-inch recurved bow of an 80-pound draw with a half dozen arrows, 4 for hunting and flesh and two for armour. Also a walking stick about 5’6 in height that has a slot at the top that the dagger can fit into. As well as a few clothes, tinderbox, sharpening stones, food, and other miscellaneous items found in a backpack. The only armour Kael possesses is a boiled leather vambrace that goes on his left forearm, which extends past his wrist.
Bio: Kael was orphaned at a young age, grew up as a bit of an urchin until he was taken into a monastery and raised there. Decided at 16 that this was not quite the life for him mostly because of their stance on male/female relations when you are part of the cloth. His womanizing finally caught up with him when he wooed, bedded, and was caught with a king’s daughter. A rather hefty bounty was placed on his head and he stole a small boat to escape from Ireland to England. Occasionally he runs into bounty hunters who are looking for him.
Astalder
Shield Bearer

Postby Penny_to_pay » Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:36 am

Anyone who wants in is welcome to join as long as i can see a character stats first. It probably won't matter what you are, but i like to think ahead a little.

I like the idea of a demi god, but one that needs to be let on gently to the idea of being one so as to be able to judge right from wrong and be fair and just, not just impartial if you know what i mean. They need to see the uses of good andf evil adn choose for themselves which they are to be.
This means that we could have someone who the goods are depending on as well as the earth sort of idea. I like the idea of balance and an equilibrium. So if the character goes one way, lots of people will die but the earth will resect itself, adn if they go the other the balance of the pantheon of gods will by upset and there will be a heavenly war.
Just an idea.
Another wa that the story starts as a child and we skip years adn things so we can track the growth of a hero thruogh time. That means that who ever plays the charatcer will have to be able to play a childrens role as well. Unless we all play the charcter so we can see how that pans out?
A bit completcated i know but you all might be able to understand it. :shock: :?

This my character anyway. He is kinda new and i'll need to build him up a bit but i have a prtetty good picture in my head of him so here we go.

Name:Ra
Appearance: 6'5" Very muscly. One side of his face is covered in tattoos, as is most of his body. These tattos are the left overs of the re-animation and re-generation of his body asfter he killed himself.
his clothes are mostly black or brown leather with silver clasps and buckles. He has big boots, often covered in mud as he spends a lot of time travelling by foot, rather than horse. He does not get tired easily and so it is quicker for him to run than to use a horse.
He is totally bald and has only a beard that is asingle plat, about 8" long. In this beard is woven golden thread. He has deep , dark eyes, sunken in a hard lined skull.
Weapons: He carrys a long and a shaort sword, the long on his left, the short on his right. He needs no sheild. The swords are not hisweapon of chose for he also carrys a double headed battle axe. The axe also has a spike between the blades. He also has palm daggers in sheaths up his sleeves. These are handy for blow that no one expects.

Other: He has the mastery of fire. He can not make but he can control it. He is resitstant to it. Fire ot him is a weapon and also a protector for him. To add an extra edge to ghis axe he can coat the blades in wax and weild a flaming axe. This delivers a merciful stroke as the blades get hot enough to carterize the wound as it is made. He will only do this in battle as he does not like killing. He means to deliver a killing sdtroke then he will do, but he will not give anyone the indecency of having their blood spilled to the ground. He kills only at need rather than for pleasure or because it is the easiest option.
He was a suicide, sent back to release all sucided souls from their purgatory state, neither here nor there. The help of a god is needed and no gods will help, but as the one is a bit of a demi god he thinks they might be able to help.

Thats it. I know its not very good at the moment but it leaves interesting piossiblities.

I was also thinking of using the idea of the sucide souls as an army of the undead, like the one that Hercules has to fight. I also think there is something like in Nordic tales, but i will have to have another look at that.

I won't be able to post for a little while, but i will see what i can do. Anyone else is welcome to set the scene or whatever until i can post. I'll jump in wherever you lot have got to. Sound ok? :lol: :? :( :shock:
Penny_to_pay
Shield Bearer

Postby blackthorn » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:49 pm

this thread is beyond slow but will check it in a week or so
blackthorn
Rider of the Mark

Postby skuld » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:22 pm

Well, here will be my character, if allowed:

Skuld's Profile

Let me know if I need to make a few changes.
skuld
Ranger of the North

Postby blackthorn » Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:17 am

the bio sounds good to me skuld and let me just say that girl looks hot there to ..he he :)

any ways back to business..I think we should wait to see if there is any more people going to join up to start.

just my opinion so what do you people think? :roll:
blackthorn
Rider of the Mark

Postby Penny_to_pay » Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:54 am

The bio sounds good to me. I know its slow. I've been having trouble with my net and plus i keep coming up with ideas of how to start and then changing them and stuff like that.

The newest idea was to have a character find the baby in the middle of an old battlfield. You know how i started with the guys going through the field and finding bodies. I thought they could find the baby. This gives us hum,ble beginnings and we can work on it from there. If i don't get an answer, i'll go ahead and write it. This might be against etiquet, but what the hell.

I'll think of something. :oops:

I'll start it adn maybe more people will see it, i don't know?
Penny_to_pay
Shield Bearer

Postby skuld » Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:59 am

It's a work in progress, be assured.
The woman in Monica Bellucci. She was in the sequels to The Matrix, along with Tears of the Sun. I know she's been in others too. She's absolutely gorgeous. But anyway, she's the person I chose to use as a model for Skuld. It makes it easier for people to visualize her of there is a face to the name, ya know? Plus I needed images by the profile, so there.

I hope we get a few more people, but would it hurt to start posting IC? I mean, they can always catch up, even if they are three, four, even ten IC posts behind. Nothing in here ever moving very quickly.

But that's just me.
XD
skuld
Ranger of the North

Postby blackthorn » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:12 pm

well thanks for the info skuld. I didn't know who she was but it is a nice pic.hee hee

just trying to think up a bio for my self ..i don't want to play the main character and if the lead is a baby i got to wait until he grows up a little to proceed. don't want to be 60 when the lead is 20 ..kind of thing..
blackthorn
Rider of the Mark

Postby adamremasters » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:11 am

Name : fenfir
Race: Demi God
Job: Part Time Mercenery and Divine Leader of the Church of the Blessed Demon Kraug.

Appearance: Tall, Skiny, with a short beard and a moustache, He is ugly for the standards of the time but becuase of the angelic calm, monstrous feriousity and condesending eyes depending in what mood hes in his other feature aren't really worth commenting about. Fenfirr almost always wears the same conical hat. He is ferious looking in normal sight but if you have true sight and in it he appears as monsterous Wolf and ferious looking just dosen't describe it.

Talents: Fencing with Katanas, sabres, long swords, great sword
Smashing with morning stars, hammers and iron gauntlets.
Slashing with axes, spears and syths.
Good at achery and throwing knives
He is also quite a good liar, preacher and monster.

History:
Born of a god and a monster Fenfir was born a wolf. A great wolf no the god of wolves he had powers that many of the gods surely envied. But he was never allowed into there world at a young age fenfirs mother was slaine by Fenfirs father the god. from that moment onwould fenfir was alone he made himself powerful by acting as a mercenery in the god wars he got powerful and like most people who got poweful in those wars he got slaine. But the strength of his spirit was strong enough that he could emplant his soul in an infant child. The child also grew up a misfit and never had any sussess in the human world until he came to a plot to restore his godly body, faithe formed or was a big part in forming godly bodies so if he could lead enough people to believe in him.......
adamremasters
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Penny_to_pay » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:10 pm

Nice bio. Few more full stops would be nice :lol: :roll: only kiddin. Nice.

Id like to get it going but i'll need a bit of time to start things off, but if anyone else wants to do then they are welcome. I figured things don't move to fast so ew can take our time?

See what i can do over the next couple of days.
Penny_to_pay
Shield Bearer

Postby blackthorn » Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:54 pm

OK I think I got a character but i am going to make a bio soon.

I think mine will not be any kind of god or Demi god but just a apprentice magic user nothing more until later after some intense training..

Hope to read you next post Penny if I can call you that.
blackthorn
Rider of the Mark

Postby Penny_to_pay » Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:47 am

You can call me penny i don't mind, except penny to pay means something a tad deeper than a name.

I like the idea of the intense training. I keep thinking of really good ways to start but they are all massively long and complicated and i don't think thats the way we should go. I will keep trying.
Penny_to_pay
Shield Bearer

Postby Penny_to_pay » Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:51 am

I finally got round to putting up the next bit.
I'm not totally sure how long they are supposed to be but i hope the ones that i've put up are ok. They aren't one liners anyway.
Enjoy and reply :o :lol:
Penny_to_pay
Shield Bearer

Postby Penny_to_pay » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:52 pm

I was thinking that whoever makes the next post on the IC could put what ever they wanted in the letter.
Then we could follow the kid through training and then the kid has to leave the House when she or he (haven't decided yet) is 16.
This way we can introduce lots of different people as well as build up characters quite easily.
Don't know what everyone else thinks but some feed back would be good.
:lol:
Penny_to_pay
Shield Bearer

Postby blackthorn » Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:39 pm

I got my first post up Penny_to_pay tell me what you think of it

later :)
blackthorn
Rider of the Mark

Postby Penny_to_pay » Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:28 pm

Nice. I like that one. All good. I'll get to work on my next one at some point.
I think i might use the idea of the special nature of the blacksmith and something about using two swords from old warriors from the battle that the child was found in.
I still haven't decided on the sex of the baby either.
What you rekon?
Penny_to_pay
Shield Bearer

Postby Penny_to_pay » Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:33 am

I got another one on. I know its not a lot to connect to but i thought you'd like it.
I had another idea. About the smith's girl. I thought i might play both of them. I don't know if that allowed but i'll try an find out.
Laters. Enjoy.

I think th baby should be a boy. I was thinking of the girl and boy being having a sort of brother sister relationship, but not actually brother and sister.
What you rekon?
Penny_to_pay
Shield Bearer

Postby blackthorn » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:29 pm

just seeing if adamremasters, skuld or Astalder is going to post. but very nice penny_to_pay.
blackthorn
Rider of the Mark

Next

Return to Role Playing: The Green Dragon Inn (Tolkien-Influenced Fantasy)