OOC:Rings of Fire and Circles of Stone

This forum is for role-playing within settings that influenced Tolkien (non-Middle-earth). Acceptable styles include for Celtic, Norse, Kalevala, Arthurian, and Anglo-Saxon.

OOC:Rings of Fire and Circles of Stone

Postby Penny_to_pay » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:54 am

I haven't totally pulled a huge number of ideas for this one but i had this main idea for playing around with the power of standing stones.
I'm an archaeologist so i have come across standing stones a fair amount in research in prehistoric periods in Europe.
I'm also interested in the power behind them: The way they unite communities
Give a focal point in ht elandscape
and how they have strange powers that all together natural or un-natural.

For this i was thinking that sets of standing stones are united by a power that when channelled can be powerful. They could be used for travelling between the stones, summoning evil or good and playing arounmd with time.

I was thinking that people would attempt to control the powers of the stones and to 'complete a set of rings, or make a new set.

Standing stones seem to have a deep rel;ationship with the earth and people who built them seemed to know this and understand it.
It could be that those who built the rings were guided by another force that seemed to tell them to build them.

I was thinking it could reference to the stones of Eregeon. (Sorry my spelling is totally out)

I haven't thought of when to set it or anything major. Just thought i'd throw up the ideas and see if they came down in a pattern. Imput would be appreciated.

Was also thinking that elemtns should be involved some where are i have an interest in the four elements, especially fire and wind as neither are solid and hard to control in their wild form. They also relate tyo each other quite nicely as do earth and water.
Just another thought.

I already put this idea up in the Pony, but i thought i might try it here instead and see if anyone want sto take it up. :P
Penny_to_pay
Shield Bearer

Postby Penny_to_pay » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:18 pm

Ok. I know the first post is a bit garbled but i tried. I don't know if anyone will like this but i can't really do much with by my self.

I hope you got the jist of it if you've read the RP post.

Obviously there is going to be someone who can release the Demon of the Star creature ( i couldn't think of a better name for it so if anyone could help that would be welcome).

There in fact two stone circles, one black one white. The black stones hold the Styar creature adn the white ones hold the Demon.
I figured to unlock the powers in the stones there should be keys. I was thinking that keys could be people or objects but i was thinking people, i.e. decendents of those who built the stones. This way not all of them could have funky powers because the stones themselves have powers that are not all together to do with hold the creatures.

I know i'm not very good at this whole thing but it'd be nice if someone could help. I'd like like to take this one a bit further that just the one post, and i'm not allowed to do it by my self. :lol: :cry2: :lol:
Penny_to_pay
Shield Bearer

Postby elerrina_narloth » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:27 pm

hey I'll help out here........
if you are thinking of the stones of Eregion, then there would be elves I am guessing? and dwarves? some of that info would be helpful.

Also if you were thinking Eregion, rings of power would be a good start for keys...that's my idea anyhow......would you be incorporating characters from the Silmarilion and LOTR? I think that would almost be easiest, as you could use Celebrimbor as a piece of the story.......

just my thoughts :roll:
elerrina_narloth
Ranger of the North

Postby Gildor of Mirkwood » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:09 pm

The Barrow Downs had standing stones as well...

If you are doing a story with elves I would consider joining your story. My email is at the bottom of the post if you want to contact me that way. :)
Gildor of Mirkwood
Rider of the Mark

Postby Penny_to_pay » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:40 am

Wow. Didn't actually think anyone would actually say they were interested. But yeh you can give me a hand, as i need all the help i can get.

I was thinking about having all races in there, i just can't work out how to do it.

What if the elves were the keys adn the rings were also the keys. That would make it even harder for anyone to open the gates?

I was thinking the lesser rings of power, like the 'essays in the craft'? not the full blown whack of stuff?

What you reckon?
Penny_to_pay
Shield Bearer

Postby elerrina_narloth » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:59 am

as to both elves and rings being keys, maybe we could have all the three elven rings of power, their bearers, and Celebrimbor.........only them all together can do the trick.

maybe even the same deal with dwarves....so that the elves for one set and the dwarves for another........

that way we could even incorporate the sack of Eregion, and thus pull in a lot of characters and have quite a set up thing for us :wink:
elerrina_narloth
Ranger of the North

Postby Penny_to_pay » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:42 am

Sounds like a plan to me. I better scratch up on my Silmarilion first though. I know what your on about ut i casn't really remember what the whole thing is about.

So we going for before the war of the ring?
Penny_to_pay
Shield Bearer

Postby elerrina_narloth » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:59 pm

I believe that is what it sounds like.........it would probably work out best that way........so do we now have a story plan?
elerrina_narloth
Ranger of the North

Postby Penny_to_pay » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:11 am

I believe so.
Time is before the War of the Ring.
The aim is to either open the gates or to prevent someone from opening them. So it means lots of running around with swods and stuff. :lol:
But where to start and how?
How about in the Halls of the Records in Gondor or possibly in Moria?
What do you rekon?
Penny_to_pay
Shield Bearer

Postby elerrina_narloth » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:47 am

I think this should start somewhere probably in Eregion, in a discussion between the elves and the dwarves.............

so now we need characters. the obvious ones are: Gil-Galad, Galadriel, Cirdan, and Celebrimbor. And seven dwarf ring bearers. And also on that note Elrond and Gandalf as they are future ring bearers

and then of course anyone who wants to have a soldier or onlooker character. Most of the above names will probably be unplayed, but you never know..........
elerrina_narloth
Ranger of the North

Postby Penny_to_pay » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:50 am

Sounds like a plan batman.

I rekon we play like the on-lookers and just write in the important ones. So everything is seen from our point of veiw and that?

I was going to play my normal character. I'll post the bio up in a bit. I am a man, but i think we should have a say in it somewhere?
Penny_to_pay
Shield Bearer

Postby elerrina_narloth » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:26 pm

post your bio and we'll see where everything goes :)

my bio:

Name- Narloth

Gender- female

Race- elf

Hiar- black and long

Eyes- silvery grey

Personality- very strong willed and stubborn. wise in her harsh way. Daughter of a warrior. Has little kindness.

History- she is old, very old; about 4000 years. She has seen many battles and she does not like the idea of the two spirits released and argues to stop those that would. She is not evil, just stubborn in her own way, though if the spirits are realesed, she will help all that is good. She is on the Council formed by Gil-Galad for Lindon and Eregion.

Edit: if you feel like it, you can check out my RP in the prancing pony, it doesn't have any answers yet :)
elerrina_narloth
Ranger of the North

Postby Penny_to_pay » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:28 am

Hey. This is my bio. I know it needs altering a bit for this thread but ill do it when we enter in to the RP proper.

Name:Ra
Appearance: 6'5" Very muscly. One side of his face is covered in tattoos, as is most of his body. These tattos are the left overs of the re-animation and re-generation of his body asfter he killed himself.
his clothes are mostly black or brown leather with silver clasps and buckles. He has big boots, often covered in mud as he spends a lot of time travelling by foot, rather than horse. He does not get tired easily and so it is quicker for him to run than to use a horse.
He is totally bald and has only a beard that is asingle plat, about 8" long. In this beard is woven golden thread. He has deep , dark eyes, sunken in a hard lined skull.
Weapons: He carrys a long and a shaort sword, the long on his left, the short on his right. He needs no sheild. The swords are not hisweapon of chose for he also carrys a double headed battle axe. The axe also has a spike between the blades. He also has palm daggers in sheaths up his sleeves. These are handy for blow that no one expects.

Other: He has the mastery of fire. He can not make but he can control it. He is resitstant to it. Fire ot him is a weapon and also a protector for him. To add an extra edge to ghis axe he can coat the blades in wax and weild a flaming axe. This delivers a merciful stroke as the blades get hot enough to carterize the wound as it is made. He will only do this in battle as he does not like killing. He means to deliver a killing sdtroke then he will do, but he will not give anyone the indecency of having their blood spilled to the ground. He kills only at need rather than for pleasure or because it is the easiest option.
He was a suicide, sent back to release all sucided souls from their purgatory state, neither here nor there. The help of a god is needed and no gods will help, but as the one is a bit of a demi god he thinks they might be able to help.
Penny_to_pay
Shield Bearer

Postby elerrina_narloth » Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:27 pm

cool character penny! :)
elerrina_narloth
Ranger of the North

Postby Penny_to_pay » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:32 am

Thank you. Your's is qutie interesting. Making the character old, but a bit self righteouos s always interesting. I think this will be interesting if it works.

I justn posted and i know it doesn't tie in so werll yet, i just had to get him somewhere to satrt from you know what i mean?
Penny_to_pay
Shield Bearer

Postby elerrina_narloth » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:44 pm

it worked perfectly penny! :)
elerrina_narloth
Ranger of the North

Postby Penny_to_pay » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:25 pm

I got him there.

I thought we could bring the dwarves into now. That is we know that we are going to open the gates, so we could probably do with a hand.

I was also thinking that whoever opened the gates could aid either one of the creatures to victory, that way we (as the good guys) would have to open them first in order to help the Star creature (such a poo name sorry about that) to victory over the demon.
But who are the bad guys?
Penny_to_pay
Shield Bearer

Postby elerrina_narloth » Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:17 pm

ok, good plan with the dwarves......
as for bad guys, that is hard to know what to do.............there are I'm sure corrupted elves, or even Celebrimbor. He does not have such a great family history, a history really of trying to take over the world :roll:
elerrina_narloth
Ranger of the North

Postby Penny_to_pay » Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:19 am

Sounds like a plan to me. Celembrimdor would be a good one. I was kinda thinking that from the beginning, cos there wouldn't be any bad guys persae, but i was thinking about bandits and Orcs as well, sort of interfering in the whole thing, not actually attached to either side?
Penny_to_pay
Shield Bearer

Postby elerrina_narloth » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:20 am

I totaly agree! Sauron really is below both creatures, he is only a maia after all......so I think it would be better it they were detatched
elerrina_narloth
Ranger of the North

Postby Penny_to_pay » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:53 pm

Sauron is a bit pathetic in my veiw. Anyway, i apologise for teh short post, but i think it serves a purpose well?
Penny_to_pay
Shield Bearer

Postby elerrina_narloth » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:01 pm

I agree about sauron.........and absolutely wonderful post penny! will post tonight!
elerrina_narloth
Ranger of the North

Postby Penny_to_pay » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:52 pm

I know the posts are a bit short, but i like it this way. There are only two of us, but its a good story so far, if wer can keep this going it will be good.

*He rolls the dice and waits for the rattling to stop*
Penny_to_pay
Shield Bearer

Postby elerrina_narloth » Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:42 pm

I think we can keep at it, it is a story that is loose enough for us to play with a little to fit what we need
elerrina_narloth
Ranger of the North

Postby Penny_to_pay » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:16 am

I was thinking that it could be the lady that asked us to prevent Celembrimbor opening the stones. We could do it while she comes to see me? What you reckon?
Penny_to_pay
Shield Bearer

Postby elerrina_narloth » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:15 am

I don't know if that would work, they need all the ringbearers to open right? Celebrimbor is only a part of the key
elerrina_narloth
Ranger of the North

Postby Penny_to_pay » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:34 am

What about a plot by Celembrimbor to steal all the rings of power? Or maybe it is only the dwarf ones that have the ability to open them? That would make sense if the dwarves are the ones that deal with stone? Elves do all the airy fairy stuff :lol: and the dwarves have the ones to do with stone as they live in the mountains and stuff like that?
Penny_to_pay
Shield Bearer

Postby elerrina_narloth » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:38 am

that makes sense........or the dwarves rings open one and elves the other?
elerrina_narloth
Ranger of the North

Postby Penny_to_pay » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:00 pm

That sounds better. we can do that.

Do you want me to writye in Galadriels part or do you wanna do it or are we both gunna do it?
Penny_to_pay
Shield Bearer

Postby elerrina_narloth » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:27 pm

I think she can be just anyone's character
elerrina_narloth
Ranger of the North

Next

Return to Role Playing: The Green Dragon Inn (Tolkien-Influenced Fantasy)