Stone Circles and Rings of Fire RP

This forum is for role-playing within settings that influenced Tolkien (non-Middle-earth). Acceptable styles include for Celtic, Norse, Kalevala, Arthurian, and Anglo-Saxon.

Stone Circles and Rings of Fire RP

Postby Penny_to_pay » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:11 pm

The thirteen black stones had always stood upon the hills. They had always stood proud and unchanging. Thirteen slabs of darkness carved from the mountains, from the bones of the earth. They were fragments of the earth brought down to the rolling plains by ancient men. Why they had done so was now forgotten to all but a few, and those few were not telling.

The stones were now just something that was there, although no one really went near them, except sheep who got lost or children fascinated by the sheen and sparkle of the quartz veins within them. They stood in the chalk, upon a hillock, there for the all to see. But even if people went near them, they would not cross the boundaries of the stones, not even the ancient ditches that had been dug around them. No one crossed over into the Stone Circle.

All that remained of the Stones power was folk myth. These myths told of a great power processed by the stones. The stones were the guardians, or so it was told, of a power that was old as the earth. It was also said that the stones would not yield their guardianship until one was found who could posses and control the power within them. These were now fireside stories, told to amuse young children; no one really believed them anymore.

But such is the way of folk stories, that they should have some truth in them. The stones had been placed to control an ancient power, a power that could ravage the land and control the person who tried to control it. The power was a demon of the Otherworld, one of those created by the Lord of the Underworld, to rival those powers that created the Heavens. The demon had upset the balance of the living world that was trapped between the raging battle between the Underworld and the Heavens. To counteract the evil of this demon, the Ancestors had placed knowledge and power into a creature of the Stars. This creature had then battled the Demon, and in the battle many blows had been lain one upon the other. The tumultuous attacks had left the living world torn apart, creating mountains from nothingness and great lakes where the two combatants’ feet had fallen. The landscape had changed, but the battle had not been won or lost. Both the Star creature and the Demon had been exhausted and retreated back to their masters.

When it was clear that no one party would win or lose, there had been a truce called by the Ancestors. The Lord of the Underworld had accepted, for he was not foolish, and he was a great warrior, yet wise, for he knew there was no point in fighting a battle that could not be won or lost. He and the Ancestors had decide that the battle should cease and that it should be the Men that now controlled the Living World that should decide the victors, for they were not created by the ancestors nor the Lord. In their innocent state Men were objective and impartial.

It was so because of this truce that Men were entrusted with these two foes, The Demon and the Star creature, to do with as they would, whether to aid one in the battle or not.

The Men of the time had decided that it was not their battle to fight. They did not want the powers that had been given them. They did not want to anger the Lord for they feared him for his strength; nor did they wish to reject the Ancestors, for they revered them. They could not favour one nor the other and so they imprisoned both the Demon and the Star creature, in Stone circles, using rocks that had been broken during their first battle together. Thus they separated the foes whilst neither displeasing the Ancestors nor the Lord. Both the Lord and the Ancestors knew that the creatures could be released once again, but not until Men released them. If Men released them again then the decision would be made, and both were very, very patient.
Penny_to_pay
Shield Bearer

Postby elerrina_narloth » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:19 pm

But mortals were, and have since been naive to the stones, never understanding them, never knowing what they truly were. But the elves did. The elves knew what these stones meant, and even more dangerous, how to unlock them. But could they?

Such was the question that hung in the air that day. A small council sat together in a dark, stone room, their voices sometimes hushed, sometimes risen high in debate.

Narloth sat amongst them, one of the two women of the council, tall and forebearing. She was ancient and wise, and had seen the last battle between the star creature and the demon. She did not wish to see another. She sat across from Gil-Galad, and she studied him along with his young regent Elrond. She knew that the high king Gil-Galad held most sway, and it was his words that would lead the rest of the council.

Next to Narloth sat Celebrimbor, proud and mighty. He was the great smith of Eregion, the best in all Eriador and Middle Earth. Narloth knew his wish, and she desperately hoped he remained silent if only for a little, he was loud and persuasive, and if he had his way, the stone circles would be unlocked again.

"I saw that battle! I wish not to see another, hear me now before any other, for none of you, save perhaps the high king, know of what is being debated here tonight!" Narloth's voice rang clear in stone council room.

"We know what you saw Narloth, and you were young, how can you remember it in full? you were a scared child who knew not what was happening!" Celebrimbor protested.

"Do not speak down to Me!" Narloth turned her fierce grey eyes upon Celebrimbor, "You have the pride of your father, you think you know all that will ensue from this! do not follow in his folly!"

"I was here as well Narloth, and I too remember the great anguish that resulted in that turmoil. Yet a second battle may be the best, that this may be decided! for the good of all the world." Galadriel was as old as Narloth, and well respected as well.

"Artanis Galadriel, you were here too as you saw, and I hear your words. But I still wish not for such grief to be caused again! turmoil will ensue, pure turmoil! Gil-Galad my king, what say you to this?" Narloth spoke firmly and with great authority, and turned her steely eyes to her king, all waited in anticipation for his response......
elerrina_narloth
Ranger of the North

Postby Penny_to_pay » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:29 am

Sparks rose and showered down on the flags of the smithy. Again the hammer fell and the metal cooled. Red hot iron was lifted from the coals and again the hammer fell.
Ra felt the weight of the hammer in his hand, then lifted the blade from the anvil and inspected it, ready to strike again. His mind connected to the metal and to the heat and he saw, yet another tiny impurity, darker thatn the rest where the steel had nopt been perfectly folded as yet.

'Well, that has to go for a start.' he stated to the air.

'What? I can't believe you've found other spot, it looks perfect to me?' questioned Gurland. Gurland was a smith from anothjer town, but he always came to see Ra when ever he was travelling? He saw Ra as competition and friend, but he knew Ra was more of a smith than he. Ra had a knack, almost some magical connection with the steel and iron. He could never understand that Ra did not see these things. Ra saw the fire. The fire that heated the iron and let him shape it.

'It looks perfect on the outside, the core is still imperfect. It reminds of the Elves. They look perfect on the outside, yet they long to chnage everything. But then Men are just the same. Only that Galadriel has got things right. She doesn't change things unless she has to.'

'You'd know more than me my friend', said Gurland. He had covered the work so many times when Ra had gone off on his little journey's, although he never told anyonhe where he went, but there were rumours, about battles with Orcs and other stranger creatures.

'Ahh. It is done.' said Ra in a satisfied tone, after his hammer had fallen several times more. He picked up the red hot blade with his hands and inspected it closely.

Gurland had seen him do this so many times before that it didn't shock him in the slightest, but he knew Ra used his fire proof hands and body to entertain the ckildren of the towns all around.

'I still don't get how you do that?'

'Practice my friend, just practice.' Ra took the long blade and plunged it into the cooling trough next to the anvil.

'What are you going to do for the hilt?' asked Gurland.

'I was going to give it to you. You know i can't do hilts as lavishly as you. It should fetch you a lot from some young lord. Here, take it.'

Gurlansd took the cooled blade in his hands and hefted it. 'This is perfect, the weight in the blade, the edge, everthing. Why don't you put the hilt on it?

'I do not do fancy, i do practical. That sword is made for killing, not for wearing. If you put the hilt on it, then it shall be more than fit for both i think. Do for me and you can keep the profit.'

'Why do you want me to do it? You going off again?'

'Yes. There is something not right in the earth. It is sterring again. There is some movement that i can not place, it needs seeing to. I will be gone. Could you mind the place whenever you're around and make sure that Cern doesn't burn himself to badly. He is a good smith, just clumsy, you know?'

'Of course. If you've got to go, then you've got to go.'

Later that day, near sun down, Ra fore they shut, with a small pack on his back, with his bow wrapped in his sleeping roll. Two short swords swung from his belt and his axe was strapped to his back. He hoped he wouldn't need any of them.

But he was heading North again. He couldn't explain why, just that he felt that was where he should go. To much eveil still recided there, since Morgoth. He had dispatched so many evil things up there to ever have fond memories of the place. Yet he knew there were elves up there. He needed to talk to them. They would know for sure what was going on.

Ra set out from his home, away from the setting sun, heading north-east, his boots already heavy with the dust of mid-summer.
Penny_to_pay
Shield Bearer

Postby elerrina_narloth » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:43 pm

As Ra set out from his home, Gil-Galad rose to speak in the council hall.
"I quite honestly do not wish battle, no more than you Narloth...But Galadriel speaks some truth in this. What if this battle could end this controversy forever? then would it be worth it?"
"Of course it would be! There is no other way to look at it!" Celebrimbor spoke in as soon as the high king finished his sentence.
"The suffering will be greater than you know Celebrimbor, but all the same, a battle may be needed" Galadriel spoke softly, trying to at least soften the mood of Celebrimbor.
"My lord!" cried Narloth, "Do you wish such harm upon your people? do you wish do inflict suffering upon the world?"
"No lady, I do not, but sooner or later their patience will run out, and they will fight without our leave and and they will break the locks! we do not know how long they will wait...they will cause more harm then!" Gil-Galad spoke wisely as he always did.
"My king, I do not think that this choice is wise or right, but you are king and I cannot gainsay you." Narloth sat down and became very silent. Celebrimbor smirked in the darkness, he was pleased and he always loved to triumph over Narloth.
"Your choice is wise my king! The release of the these things is the right thing to do!" Celebrimbor flattered the knig, hoping to keep the favor in his interests.
"I have said nothing for sure son of Caranthir, but I do believe my mind is firm, this seems best." Gil-Galad would not let Celebrimbor gloat so.
"My king, my lords, and ladies" every eye turned to the young Elrond, he nearly never raised his voice in counsel, but today he did, "There is no pair road through this, I can see that! I do not wish to see my country ravaged by these creatures...but their days of waiting must end soon, the very anticipation of that doom hangs over us like a naked blade, I believe you all know that!" nods around the room, even from Narloth. Elrond continued, "I may not have seen this past battle, but I have seen many others, not to mention the sack of Sirion where my home and friends were destroyed! Battles are horrible bloody ordeals, but sometimes there is something greater at the end, something worth having if we only bear the pain!" Elrond finished and sank back into his silence.

There was silence in the hall, the fair words of Elrond lingered still. His voice still stayed in ears and minds of the council members. Gil-Galad rose and spoke firmly,
"My young charge and regent is right in his words, I think that I may know say that opening these circles is the right thing to do." The high king's eyes looked around. Not even Narloth dared gainsay him, or argue with the words of Elrond, even she heard the truth in his youthful, deep, fair voice.
"We will have assistance, I feel a great man is coming to help here! spoke Galadriel.

Gil-Galad nodded, he knew it too.
elerrina_narloth
Ranger of the North

Postby Penny_to_pay » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:20 pm

The gap of Rohan and the end of the mountains came into view as Ra ran on. His boots were caked in mud from crossing rivers and plains, but as the another evening sun sank below the horizon; the mud dried and broke, falling as a trail behind him. He had been running all day, always North, and he knew he must rest.

As Ra sank like the great sun, in a nest of rock, he felt he was near this journey’s end but also at the beginning of something great and terrible. With every step towards Eregion he took, he felt a power grow. This was an ancient power; a power both great and terrible, proud and mighty. Thoughts of some sleeping power grew in his mind until it consumed him to the point where he almost knew what was radiating it.

As the last rays of that days sun blazoned the sky crimson, Ra drew his swords and stroked them together, gently, as they were caressing each other. Flames sputtered from their tip, one blue and the other white. As they spat from the points of the swords they merged and floated to the ground, where they continued to burn, a soulful, mesmerizing red. Ra sat beside them, far into the night. His final thought before he sleep took him was, ‘Who needs a tinder box, when you’ve got me?’ With that he smiled and closed his eyes.

The next morning dawned, misty and chilled. Ra rose from his seated position, packed his gear and ran on, always North. Two days passed with no incident, as days are wont to do. To Ra, there were no days, just brief periods of light and dark. He had lived so long and seen so much of the world that one day ceased to register upon his mind. He felt no time passing, but felt it weigh heavy upon him, as if air were not weightless. He was no elf, they were much older than he, but he had some tricks up his sleeve, for time was of no consequence to him.

On the third day, he entered the realms of Eregion, and he was glad, not just for he was close to his goal, but for the lands were yet sweet and the grass felt clean beneath his feet.

He slowed his run and began to stroll through those lands until he heard a cry,

‘Stand, stranger here unknown. For none shall walk as you do with such carelessness through our lands,’

‘Master Elf, did you not see that I walk with care as well as carelessness. These lands are known to me, even if its owner does not know me. I am come from the Southern Coast, for I wish to take Council with Galadriel. I know she is here, although I do not know where she may be found close to.’

‘The name of Galadriel is known to you? Who are you Southern Man, and why do you cover your face with cloth? You should not be masked.’

‘These are not wrappings that cover my face, sir. There are markings, made permanent upon my skin. They are the marks of my family, of my Ancestors. They are my skin. Please take to Galadriel, it is important that I speak with her.’

‘Very well. She will be told of your presence if she does not already know of it. But you will remain here. Where we can see you, marked man.’
With that the elven voice disappeared, and Ra thought he heard hurried foot steps disappear into the distance. He knew he had nothing to fear, so he glanced about him and sank in one fluid movement onto the grass. He lit a fire and pulled a frying pan from his gear. Soon there was the smell of salted bacon drifting up to the heavens, along with the smoke a small fire.
Penny_to_pay
Shield Bearer

Postby elerrina_narloth » Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:26 pm

Narloth walked through Eregion, her heart hot within her, and her thoughts waring inside her head. She knew the words of young Elrond were right, and that glory would come from this victory, and at the same time she knew that the former powers that attempted to enslave her would do so again.

She sighed as she looked around at the green grass and blue sky of Eregion, she did not want this to end. As she walked along, she found herself steering more and more towards the Moria gate, she could feel the presence of seven dwarves nearby, and she knew that they would be there.

There they were, the seven dwarvish ring-bearers, friends to Eregion and the elves that dwell there, friends to Narloth.
"Welcome and well met my dear friends" she called out to them.
"Well met indeed Lady Narloth!" the responded to her with one voice.

The seven dwarves and one elf walked along the path back to the city, talking about the peope and well being of their cities and the grave subject of the release of the creatures.

Suddenly, as they walked, someone met their eye, a man like they had never seen before, and yet, somehow they knew he was there for no harm......
elerrina_narloth
Ranger of the North

Postby Penny_to_pay » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:52 pm

Ra was aware of eyes watching him as he ate his breakfast. He did not worry; he knew he could come to no harm in this country. As he sat on the grass in the clearing, his eyes roved the tree line to his left. He sensed the eyes, rather than saw him, but he felt a presence there was old, very old, yet not that being which he sought. This was a new one. He had never felt such ancient beauty, wisdom in any except Galadriel.

But there was something else there, something that the Lady did not have. Impatience was it? Frustration? Ra felt the sense of it. Here was someone of action and of words, a rare thing. But so far without a face. But then he reflected, all elves look the same, except until you know them. Fortunate for him he was so…distinctive.

Then as he scanned the tree line he smelt iron and steel and stone. He smelt oil and dust. ‘
So there are dwarves in this as well, what ever this is?’ thought Ra with a rye smile. ‘Why don’t you come out? Then we can talk and I’m sure your friends would like some bacon, it is a bit of a walk away from their homes. Come out and I can see your face, I know you can see mine.’
Penny_to_pay
Shield Bearer

Postby elerrina_narloth » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:25 pm

Narloth walked over the rim of the hill cautiosly...and she had to admit to being surprised at the man she saw. She though he was mortal, though perhaps not, she could not really say, and he had odd wraps or markings upon his face.

"Lord, I do not sense that you are a threat, for my mind is old and well trained in that art...I sense that even perhaps you are the one that Gil-Galad and Galadriel spoke of.
"I am Lady Narloth, who has dwelt in Middle Earth since before the dawn and before the war of the jewels. These are seven of the greatest dwarf lords, here for council, who are you? and what is your business here?" Narloth spoke with her common authority, as was her wont.

She stood tall and fair on the hill crest, robed in silver with a long, scarlet cloak and her long black hair unbound, with silver leaves in on her brow. Fearless and strong she was, ancient and wise, and she made no attempt to hide her high position...she was even proud...proud of who she was, and she wanted to know who this stranger was, and what he wanted in the realm she called her home...
elerrina_narloth
Ranger of the North

Postby Penny_to_pay » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:08 pm

'Lady. I am no Lord. I have no title. All i have is a name. And that name is Ra'

Bowed deeply and sincerly. He knew he stood before a great warrior and wise lady of the elves. He had never heard of here before and he was not a discurtious man. He held his bow then rose and turned instead to the dwarves that still stood by the tree line, away from the stanger.

'My Lords!' he called in a loud ringing voice that carried across the clearing. He then bowed again. Ra was a man to respect hierarchy, even if he was not part of any. The dwarves surprised by this politeness from such a stranger they bowed back, acknowledging Ra's presence and almost allowing him to say what he wished.

However, after he had bowed his head once more, Ra turned back to the elf, Narloth. He saw she was fair, but stiff in her beauty, not flowing and beautiful as Galadriel, here was a different breed.

'Well met, my Lady. I am Ra, as i have said. You have not said so but i assume you wish to know why i am here, i this fair land. I have come to speak with Galadriel, for she is wise. But i knew not that even greater Lords of the elves were here? Gil-Galad? That is strange news. And the seven greatest Masters of the Dwarves, conversing with him? Lady i am here because i felt something wrong in the earth and i wished to know what it was that i felt. Now that i am here i see that something much greater than i feared is amiss. Warrior, i must to speak to the Lady, unless you can tell me what is happening in this land. Why does the earth cry so?'

The Lady watched him, but Ra was patient. He knew he had just offended her, but he knew she thought him safe. He knew this Narloth seemed the type of person to kill all she thought untrustworthy, but he surmised she was a very good judge. As the mornig sun beat down upon their heads and the breeze played gently with their garments, the Man and the Elf waited, each upon the other.
Penny_to_pay
Shield Bearer

Postby elerrina_narloth » Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:41 pm

Narloth watched the stranger...he had spoken more than his piece, and asked more than his business, but Narloth stayed herself. She found herself very hesitant to speak, fearing that her frustration would spill over... she would wait for Galadriel.

"You are rash to speak so Stranger...to ask information of this nature from a great lady when you have no title of greatness yourself. Who are you that I should tell you these things? I can judge your heart only so far, as many great sorcerers can elude being read. You have given me your name but no more than that, who are you?" Narloth stared into Ra's eyes, her gaze sharp and judging.

She wished to judge him, but very little could she see, perhaps there was very little to be seen, but the lady could not know. The dwarves stood nearby, watching and waiting Narloth's reply. They all waited for Galadriel, Narloth not speaking a single word, just standing there in the same place, seeming almost a statue in the gleaming sun......
elerrina_narloth
Ranger of the North

Postby Penny_to_pay » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:14 am

'You speak of titles as if they were the reason for finding wisdom. I have neither title, nor wisdom, of your sort. But i have experience, which is wisdom of my sort. I am not an elf and i am not a Man, in truth i know very little about what i actually am. I am just me. I have walked this earth for hundreds of years. I can see that i am much younger than you, my lady, for it shows in your eyes, but if i was not born, then am i young or old or neither? All i knowis that i come from the Southern Desserts. The people that i herald from were Nomadic, they lived on horseback. Life there was hard, but you have plenty of time for study and for learning. Since i left them, oh, a long time ago now i have travelled much and seen even more and fought untold numbers of evil things. I even went North, to the mountains, long after the elves had left. I started to clear up a little more. Orcs, your kindred, still live there. I dispatched as many as i could find and catch up with. But if you really want to know who i am, then i am just a blacksmith, if you can understand what we do? Its not just making horseshoes and swords.'

Ra never revealed much about himself, for there was so much to tell. He had done so much in his years that he could hardly remember it all clearly. The elf asked him who he was but they was so much to him that he could never explain. He had said nothing about his tortue in the desert and his aquisition of his 'fire' in the Northern wastes, for he sensed that she would not trust him any more than she did now, which was little. He hoped that she would understand about the blacksmith, but he suspected that she wouldn't. Elves didn't tend to bother about Men, they thought them children, stupid and ignorant, but Ra, being neither man nor elf had learnt of both and decided Men had their own powers as well as the Firstborn.

'You ask me who i am but, you say nothing of yourself, Lady? From where do you herald?' Ra, although slightly annoyed at the elf was intrigued. Narloth, to him seemed differnet from most elves he had met before. All of a sudden Ra caught ther sound of bells, ringing softly on the breeze, about a mile away.

Excellent Ra thought with a smile, She comes, she must know or suspect something of import to come fast to just a lowly blacksmith.
Penny_to_pay
Shield Bearer

Postby elerrina_narloth » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:13 am

Narloth turned to see Galadriel coming toward them. Narloth wondered what the lady wanted with this strange blacksmith.
"I herald from many places, blacksmith, Eriador is my country now. I have dwelt here long before the first dawn and I have seen many things ravage this land, and I have seen their great healing. I was born in Valinor just as the lady Galadriel, and from there I came with her people, but I turned away from them and went my own way and found a home here."

None would doubt Narloth's story, she stood tall and dark haired and proud just like the people of Noldor, the exiles. The harsh beauty of feanor was in her face, and one would almost believe that she was his kin.

"As for the orcs, they are no longer our kin, it has been many thousands of years since Morgoth tortured elves and made them orcs, and since that time the orcs are no longer of any relation to us!" Narloth restrained her anger and disdain...she was not akin to the orcs, though anyone could know.

Galadriel came to the place where they stood and for a moment she looked at both Ra and Narloth, only vaguely wondering of their words to each other......
elerrina_narloth
Ranger of the North

Postby Penny_to_pay » Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:27 am

'Gentle people? Why do you argue? We should all be friendly upon such a good morning as this.'

Galadriel placed herself between the two of them, with Narloth's face fuming and Ra's slightly amused smile.

'There is no need for such petty arguments. Ra i expected better of you, one of your age should know better.'

'Lady, i have not so many years on me as you and the lady opposite me. All i wished to know was what drove her. She has a fascinating mind.'

'She does indeed. But there will be time to pick each other's brains when toil is done.'

Lady, you know as i that toil i snever done, and will never be.'

'That is true, yet there is time to rest betwen tasks is there not. Like sitting and eating breakfast, for instance?' A small smile crossed Galadriel's lips. She had known of Ra for many years, and spoken to him often. He fascinated her, but she had also helped him. She had taught him to channel the rage that bubbled inside of him.

'Lady, you have always known that i can not function without a hearty breakfast insdie of me.'

'Ra! Why have you come?' Narloth's voice rang over him from several yards away. 'Why do you bandy with the Lady, yet ask her nothing. Why are you here!' she repeated in harsh tones.

It was Galadriel that answered. 'He is here becasue both the Earth and I called him. There will be need of him efore this argument about the Rings is truely settled. Celembrimbor is lustful, i can feel it and he is impatient. Yet this great battle must be fought. But who's side are we on Narloth?'

Both Ra and Narloth were silent. Ra had no understanding of what was going on or what the Rings were? They sounded like the craft of the Elves yet the Lady had said the word with regret, as if it saddened her. Narloth had a greater understanding that RA as she had been at the Council, yet she to felt that Galadiel was shouldered with sorrow of some kind.

'Narloth, would please take the Dwarf Lords and Ra with you. He must rest and then i will see you both in my chamber. Come to me wheh you are ready. We have much to discuss.'

With a faint smile, the Lady turned and seemed to glide away from them, yet her dress billowing as she walked through the long grass. The tree line enveloped her, and she was gone.

Ra and Narloth stood staying at each other once again, eyt both were now even more curious. Curious enough to put aside ill welcoming words.
Penny_to_pay
Shield Bearer

Postby elerrina_narloth » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:47 pm

Narloth just watched Ra for several minutes, not sure what do to or say. She tried to lay aside her anger, but difficulty came with that. So little was made of her when Galadriel stepped near, though Narloth's years far surpassed those of the lady. perhaps one must rule a land to be considered wise, Narloth thought; for so indeed did it seen.

Narloth tried now to tolerate the strange visitor those his tongue was much faster than his mind in Narloth's eyes.

The day dragged on to Narloth as she walked back to the city with the dwarves following close behind her; chattering away and asking innumerable questions to Narloth, who ignored every single one of them. They were confused no doubt.......Narloth could not blame them for that, she just wished they could deal with it more quietly than they happened to be doing at that moment. The seven voices continued to echo loudly all the way into the city.........Galadriel help her.......
elerrina_narloth
Ranger of the North

Postby Penny_to_pay » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:58 pm

Ra followed the party. He watched Narloth get motre and more frustrated with the Dwarves. They kept asking her questions that he was sure she could answer, but she seemed to be holding back more than her answers.
He knew he had annoyed her, but in truth, he disliked elves however polite he was to them. They got on his nerves, sio he got on theirs, although he seemed to have got oat this one a little harder than usual. Perhaps it was because he sensed that she was not such an ordinary elf, she was more down to earth. Perhaps that is why she had been sent to fetch the dwarves.

He follwed the party at a distance. Although the dwarves were polite to him, they did not trust him openly, nor did Narloth. He thought it best not to annoy her any more.

And so it was that as they wondered closer to the city, he felt eyes falling on his back, not malicious, but there was a sense of danger, of potential. It hung in the air almost tangible it was so thick. Whoever was looking at him did not trust him.

'Well,' he thought 'If they want to be like that...let them come to the blade of a sword.'

Later in the day, closer to the end of the light, they drew close to the gates. They were guarded by two elves on either side, and another on a platform above the gate itself.

'Lady.' called Ra. 'Here I stay, i will not enter your city. I am a nightowl. I wish to roam. I will be here again at dawn, unless you wish to arrest me.' With that Ra turned. The from the gate Narloth called to him.
'Wait!'
Penny_to_pay
Shield Bearer

Postby elerrina_narloth » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:18 am

"If the lady truly trusts you as she says, then you should come into the city to speak with Gil-Galad"

Narloth was really the only person who called Gil-Galad by his name and not 'High King' or 'Lord, for she thought herself equal to him. "His regent Elrond is a great judge of character, and he is very friendly with men, I would advise you meet with them."

Narloth waited for Ra's reply. She knew that the man did not like her all too much, and that was perfectly alright with Narloth as she did not care over much for him.

"come, if Elrond thought well of you, then I would trust you more, as would all the elves in Lindon. He has never judged wrongly and he would for sure befriend you."

Narloth waited for the man's reply, staring at him with her steely grey eyes, and her scarlet cloak and black hair whipping around her in the wind. She wished him to answer quickly, for she was cold in this wind.
elerrina_narloth
Ranger of the North

Postby Penny_to_pay » Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:10 am

Ra hesitated for a moment, then replied.

'Lady, i do not need an elf to tell me i am trustworthy. If Elrond were to judge me trustworthy, then i would have failed myself, for another would have had to tell me so. I know i am worthy, i just don't want others telling me it is so, or otherwise.
I shall stay outside the gate, for tonight. I do not know this land to well, and so i shall have a look round, with your permission of course.'

Ra made a little bow wit his head and then turned away from Narloth who stood slightly confused and more than a little outraged at Ra's less than subtle insult. She liked even less the more they spoke together. She turned angrily, and dissappeared inside.

Ra walked away from the gates. 'She will not take that lightly.' he thought to himself. He strolled down to the woods to his left and dissappeared among the foliage, his dark form melting into leafy darkness.
Penny_to_pay
Shield Bearer

Postby elerrina_narloth » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:49 am

Narloth watched the strange man vanish, and wondered if she was relieved or disappointed to see him go. Her mind did not linger on it long, though, and she entered the city with the dwarves.

The high stone walls of Eregion were well built and quite lovely, especially to Narloth's stone-trained eyes. She loved the strong city, even though it had not always been her home. She made her way to the council hall where all the council members were staying and where the council was to held again the next morning.

Narloth brushed her silky hair out her face as the wind continued to whip it around her, along with her scarlet cloak. Many eyes followed the lady as she walked, none would deny the strange effect she had upon all that she passed by.
Perhaps it was her cold nature, her frigid eyes warning all to stay at an arms length and not to disturb her. Perhaps it was her distant beauty that made her so unapproachable.

Whatever the reason, Narloth liked her solitude, and she did not much savor the idea of returning to council or bantering with Celebrimbor again.
elerrina_narloth
Ranger of the North

Return to Role Playing: The Green Dragon Inn (Tolkien-Influenced Fantasy)