OOC: Celtic Spring Celebration - Beltane(Open to Anyone)

This forum is for role-playing within settings that influenced Tolkien (non-Middle-earth). Acceptable styles include for Celtic, Norse, Kalevala, Arthurian, and Anglo-Saxon.

OOC: Celtic Spring Celebration - Beltane(Open to Anyone)

Postby LadyEdana » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:25 pm

I figure since we are getting a late start it can just carry over into Beltane. :D We'll start with a traditional feast, lots of boar, ale, singing, and general merriment. Then April 30th the bonfires will be lit (by me or Vana, who ever is on first).
ANYONE is able to join. We just ask that if you have any questions about Celts/Celtic tradition ask it here before posting in the actual RP thread.

We will once again be open to any races within Celtic Myth Legend, just remember the less social ones will be harder to write into the story.

Races
Daoine Sidhe(theena shee)-Elves, immortal, fair(white) skinned, highest of the fay people, beautiful, powerful, tall and slim but can be very strong, masters of magic. They keep their souls in a stone hung on a chain around their necks. If they die "fade" their soul and their sword are hung on the Tree of Memory in the center of Tir-nan-Og. The same with the Slaugh.
Slaugh(slooa)-High fays, similar to Daoine Sidhe, unfriendly to mortals, often kidnap them when out hunting, beautiful yet uncomely and deadly. Also called Drow.
Gael-A mortal, human, with fair skin, the Celts.
Moor-A mortal, human, with dark skin, were often slaves, some believe as the Celts, some don't.
Phouka(pooka)-A fay people that can take the shape of various animals(tend to be black), and are considered dangerous, but if you learn their true names you can command them. Also can be called Fuathas
Murdhuacha(muroo-cha)- Mer-People, water dwellers who are human from the waist up with the tail of a fish, their singing is irresistible to mortals.
Tylwyth Teg(telooeth teig)-Half fays, often maintain many fay qualities, they cannot handle pure silver, where as iron hurts most fays.
The more "anti-social" fays, can be played, but wont be as easily written into the story:
Bodach-Brownies, fays who are short and dress in brown, the have brown shaggy hair, the complete unfinished chores at night. Any offer of reward drives them away, but the expect a bowl of milk or cream and a cake to be left out.
Dryads-Spirits who dwell in trees, oaks in particular, Druids contact them to gain inspiration.
Bain Sidhe(ban shee)-A spirit/fay who may appear before a death, their cries are said to drive mortals insane.
Cyhyraeth(kerherrighth)-A form of banshee that appears before multiple deaths.
Cwn Annwn(koon anoon)-the hunting dogs of the fays, extremely loyal to their masters, white with red tipped ears.
Each(Âak)-Horses bred to perfection whos' speed is unmatched, are at ease in water, when running can cross small patches of water on top, and they form a bond with their masters, they look similar to an Arabian and Andalusian cross. usually owned by fays.

If you have any questions about a races not listed just ask me and I will let you know if it is acceptable.

:arrow: Names: Because some races are bound by names, I must ask please only use the name given to your character by the other character.

Characters
Page1:
LadyEdana - Edana
Vanaladiel - Keelty
earendil81 - Erin
rowanberry - Rhiannon
SmogsFlame - Miránor
Last edited by LadyEdana on Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LadyEdana
Ranger of the North

Postby LadyEdana » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:31 pm

Here is my character. There's been revision since Storms, our last RP.

Lady Edana Rós:
Nick Names: Thorn, Brier, Moonchild
Race: Daoine Sidhe(elf)
Soul: A deep blue stone magically shrunk and set in the middle of a silver triskele
Appearance: Long med. Brown hair with red highlights, green eyes, fair high face, pointed ears(duh), 6'5", extremely beautiful.
Talents/skills: singing, harp (can be a magical enchantment), swordswoman, healer, animal telepathy, magic.
Weapons: Silver Long sword, 2 silver dirks(1 strapped to each leg usually), Long bow, "Deòairfid" Fire Ring of Music's Life(causes enchantment, or brings life to music).
Animals: Horse(an Each)-Neala; 3 Cwn Annwn-Anty, Lann, and Brice; white Falcon-Devnet.
Outfit: Court-Long, flowing deep blue/silver dress; blue velvet cape with silver satin lining; slippers. Riding/Adventuring-Leather breaches; tunic; black wool cape; brown/green wool cape; thigh-high boots.
Personality: She is very spunky and never wants to be left out. She is very anxious to get out and do what is right. She loves working with animals. She is skilled in some magic, but what she knows she knows good. She is a flirt, easiest way to put it. She is cautious at first, but once you gain her trust she is there for you, but beware if you betray her she is the worst enemy.
History: Parents were banished to mortal realm, but she returned upon reaching adulthood and gained favor again. She has since caught the eye of Prince Tiernan. After playing hard to get she finally gave in. But she still comes back to the mortal realm especially for Special Gatherings.
A picture of my character: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/52198689/

If you want to go back to the Storms OOC to get your character it's here http://forums.theonering.com/viewtopic. ... highlight=
LadyEdana
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:23 pm

Oh wow!! I feel like I have missed something in the past. I never was in the other thread so here goes the best as I can. If I come up against something that I need help with I will ask or if you see something that I dont please let me know. Is that okay LadyEdana?

Keelty (From the Woods)
Nick names: Moonlight Dancer
Race: Daoine Sidhe(elf)
Soul: A purple Moonstone set in a silver trinity knot on a silver chain.
Appearance: Long blonde hair laying in gentle waves down her back, bright emerald green eyes, fair of face, pointed ears, 6 foot, elegant in stature, pretty but not overly beautiful.
Talents/Skills: Singing and dancing, swordswomen, some magic though usually through her ring "Moon Ring of the Twilight Star" "Elen Uial" Where twilight is kept at her finger tips. She worships the moon goddess and can affect the flow of the waters and the passage of time.
Weapons: A bodice dagger of finest silver, a long sword with silver scroll work up the full length of the blade wrapping into the black leather handle and a bow of yew wood with a quiver of burnish leather, arrows with shafts of cedar and white speckled feather fletchings.
Animals: A White faced wolf/dog cub found when its mother had been killed by hunters named Faolan (wolf). A pale tawny horse named Kail (mighty one)
Outfit: long deep purple brocade dress with a silver chain belt that sits lightly upon her slender waist. Long sectioned sleeves fitted to the wrists. Silver stitching around the neckline and the cuffs of the sleeves. A chemise of finest linen. Long black cloak of velvet with a silver/purple lining. Riding britches of black leather with a leather tunic over a deep blue shirt with long sleeves, leather riding boots, brown woolen riding cloak.
Personality: She is very mysterious to most people since she is very shy and slow to interact with others she doesnt know. Keeps her eyes and ears open, very attuned to things going on around her. Doesnt mind not being the center of attention. Loves the woods and walking and communing with nature. Dear and close friend to the dryads and other faery folk!

My sig pic is my character!
Last edited by Vanaladiel on Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Spring come quickly!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby earendil81 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:19 am

The urge to write has come upon me again...
And here is a short bio for now

Erin
Nickname: The Blue Seer
Race: an Gael(human), priestess
'Soul': a blue calcedoine pendant on a simple silver chain
Appearance: rather small, Erin is also thin, maybe too thin some would say. Yet, she is not fragile. She has deep blue eyes and auburn hair that she wears at the waist (see http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j20/e ... 1115_g.jpg). The only notable thing about her is the birth mark of the trinity that she wears on her shoulder.
Talents/Skills: she is known among the priestess to enter in contact with the other worlds; she can see the past, the future and the present. She is not a warrior of the faith (if you guys have any knowledge of the wicca tradition ;)) but rather a healer, an initiator.
Weapons: the only weapon she carries is a very small mooncurved knife at the end of her belt. She only uses it during rituals usually.
Animals: she doesn't possess any animal of her own but nature provides what is needed for the rituals and the temple provides for horses when needed ;).
Outfit: Usually dressed in the white dress of the priestess, she is very simple.
Personality: her mind is opened to the other worlds and thus slightly away from that that surrounds her. She seems ethereal to the people who surround her and she sees auras rather then people. But she can be very down to earth when she has to.

That's it for now; it needs developing but that's a first draft ;).

And here is the pendant... with a 25c coin so that you can get an idea of the size ;)
Last edited by earendil81 on Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby LadyEdana » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:07 am

Oh Earen! That's gorgeous.

Don't worry, Vana, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Everyone
I'll open the RP thread around noon MST (-7 GMT) You don't have to post your character before that, but you DO have to post your character in here before going over there.
LadyEdana
Ranger of the North

Postby earendil81 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:42 am

LadyEdana wrote:Oh Earen! That's gorgeous.

Don't worry, Vana, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Everyone
I'll open the RP thread around noon MST (-7 GMT) You don't have to post your character before that, but you DO have to post your character in here before going over there.

I'll post a picture of the pendant ASAP... Since I am in possession of said pendant ;).
Can't wait to get started. I've missed writing ;)

Eari
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby rowanberry » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:46 am

I'm not sure if I'll actually have time to participate, but in case I do (I hope that I will!), I'll bring back my old character:

Name: Rhiannon
Race: Daoine Sidhe (elf)
Soul: A golden-brown stone in the middle of a golden knot
Appearance: Long deep-red hair, golden-brown eyes, tall, athletic but feminine - and beautiful, of course.
Talents/skills: The beauty and power of her singing voice is surpassed by few; she knows lots of ancient spells she can chant. Usually accompanies her song with a harp. Extremely good rider; can keep on the back of any horse.
Weapons: Bow is her primary weapon, and she's an excellent archer. She also has a short sword; she has some experience in wielding it but, she isn't very good with it yet.
Animals: Horse (name to be announced later)
Outfit: Usually dresses in shades of green, gold and copper. When travelling, she wears men's clothing.
Personality: Quiet, calm and steadfast. Whatever she does, she does with determination. She is slow to anger but, when she does, others are better to keep a distance!
History: She has travelled a lot, also in mortal lands. There have been many who would have wanted to marry her but, so far, she hasn't given her heart to anyone.
rowanberry
+++Out Of Cheese Error+++

Postby SmogsFlame » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:12 pm

Hello! I must admit I do not know much about this perticular RP topic, but I am willing to learn, and would enjoy RPing with you guys. :) So, I have posted my bio. If anyone has any suggestions or anything of the like I would most welcome.

Name: Miránor Ethelolín. Use name Eclethon.

Race: Phouka(pooka).

Soul: A deep green emerald set in a circle of silver leaves on a heavy silver chain.

Appearance: Is fair skinned for a Phouka, with large round hazel eyes, long hair that touches the back of his neck (but not quiet his shoulders), and a strong square jaw. 6' tall, muscular build but not bulky.

Skills/Powers: Is a herbmaster and woodworker. Can shapeshift into many different animals, but a wolf and eagle are his usual forms.

Weapons: Long sword with a curved blade (scimitar style) with a black bonded leather two handed grip. The handle also has silver woven into it. The blade is silver, and has runes etched along it's length. He carries his sword on his back. He also has a jeweled dagger on his belt, and a quarter staff (Which is his preffered weapon. He is thus far unrivaled in quarterstaff combat). The staff is oak, with several leather thongs around the top, and at the end of is a piece of nature. On one he has a eagle feather, on another a stone, ect ect...

Clothing: Tall black leather boots. Loose fitting pants and shirts, usually brown, green, or black. He does not usually wear armour.

Personality: Prefers to be alone, is quiet, and rarely speaks. Does not take to being ordered around and will challenge authority with mortal combat if annoyed enough. Has very few friends and does not make friends easily, but the ones he does have are very close to him.

History: His mother was a Phouka and his father was a High Fay. His father taught him the ways of the High Elves and he lived happily with his parents for some time. Until his Phouka herritage started causing him problems with other people, at that time he ran away to the forests, the only place he ever felt at home, and there he has lived since. He has wandered back and forth between the Mortal Lands and the Lands of the High Fea many times. But for the most part he lives, loves, and protects his forest.

I would welcome any feedback. Even if it's to say "Good bio." :lol:
Last edited by SmogsFlame on Wed May 23, 2007 12:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
SmogsFlame
Shield Bearer

Location: One step closer to the edge, and I'm about to break!

Postby earendil81 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:53 am

Hey guys,

I haven't had a chance to come online over the week end. Busy I was, and my bf's computer prevented me from accessing the forum :roll:... Go figure.

Anyway, Erin's entrance post is but on my comp at home, so I'll probably post it tonight (Montreal time ;)).

Until then I hope to read some of you guy's writings ;)
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby Vanaladiel » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:20 am

Welcome Smogsflame I think you would have great fun and I love the character you chose. I love Pookas. :D

No worries Eari I havent had time to be on much either so I am posting my entrance then will wait to see who else and what else happens for a bit. :D
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby SmogsFlame » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:16 pm

Thank you, Val, for the welcome. :lol:

I do have one question though. What kind of goals/objectives, if any, are there going to be for this RP?
SmogsFlame
Shield Bearer

Postby LadyEdana » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:16 pm

Smog, That's a pretty good bio. Maybe a little more social then a Phouka would normally be, but not bad for a begining. It's a tough choice. Any more questions don't hesitate to ask. There isn't a real OBJECTIVE to this RP. We are mostly doing right now a festival (kind of like the bards do). It is a gathering for everyone. We may do a real story line RP later, but for now it's just going to be laid back.

Vana, Thanks for the post :D but just an FYI, I'm not the host, it's the head Druid or Merlin. He's gonna be an NPC, unless if someone wants to pick him up.

Well I'm gonna go rest my head and give Eari a chance to post, and Smog, if you want to post too, then I'll go ahead and post. But at the moment, I don't think I could come up with anything good. my head hurts too much.
LadyEdana
Ranger of the North

Postby earendil81 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:43 pm

Bear with me I haven't written in English in such a long while. And then again, this week-end I had a short story coming up in English.
But RP, it's been a while ;)...

Not sure where this post fits in the timeline, but as Vana could tell you, that's the way some of my characters work :roll:.

;)
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby LadyEdana » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:23 am

That's ok Eari. I read it, it makes it good. Something you might consider in how to get her there is as a Priestess, she would probably receive an invite to a celebration held by the Merlin. Either that, or the Seer would, and might choose to take her. Just depends on what level of the order she is in. I'm not sure at this point. But from her age she might be somewhere in the beginning to middle, just depending on if her parents sent her as a child, or if she chose to go as a young woman. But I like how she gets the visions. It shows great potential for her. :D
LadyEdana
Ranger of the North

Postby earendil81 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:08 am

LadyEdana wrote:That's ok Eari. I read it, it makes it good. Something you might consider in how to get her there is as a Priestess, she would probably receive an invite to a celebration held by the Merlin. Either that, or the Seer would, and might choose to take her. Just depends on what level of the order she is in. I'm not sure at this point. But from her age she might be somewhere in the beginning to middle, just depending on if her parents sent her as a child, or if she chose to go as a young woman. But I like how she gets the visions. It shows great potential for her. :D

I know how she is going to get there; it is just that for the mo, I don't know where she is timeline wise. Maybe a month before, or maybe a few days only.

And I'll expand a bit on that later but let's say that she is middle to high as of level in the order. She had been there ever since she was 5 years old ;).
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby LadyEdana » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:36 pm

Ok :D Sounds good.
I think I'm feeling well anough to be creative. Still a little :P but nothing like last night.
After I got off I tried watching some TV because I can't just do nothing... Everything hurt. It was a migraine, and it was bad enough to make me nauseous. I think that's the worst one I've ever had. :woah:
LadyEdana
Ranger of the North

Postby SmogsFlame » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:02 pm

Any more questions don't hesitate to ask.

OK since you said to :twisted: lol. OK first off when I first read the line about Phoukas I kinda got the impression of a woodswise being. More live alone in the forest, dangerous, deadly, forest keeper kind of person. Is this an accurate assumption?

Another thing. You said that Eclethon was a little more social then most, does that mean that he would be kind of disinclined to attend this party? Or would he go if he knew he was invited and welcomed?

I plan on writting my character in in the next day or so. :lol: I'm really looking forward to this.
SmogsFlame
Shield Bearer

Postby LadyEdana » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:32 pm

Woodsie... That description could work. They tended to live IN the streams and rivers running through the woods, they wouldn't have really had occupations or homes so to speak like the HIGH Fae. It is possible for you character to go against the norm. Maybe they were raised by mortals or high faes, maybe they are half. It's all for you to decide. If you want some idea http://forums.theonering.com/viewtopic. ... highlight= GoldenSiren played a Phouka in our last attempt. We didn't get very far, but it might give you an idea. Also a good book (if you have the time) is The Dreaming Tree by C. J. Cherryh http://www.amazon.com/Dreaming-Tree-C-J ... 257&sr=8-1
As far as being invited. All are welcome as long as the behave themselves. You could work in a personal invite, maybe you've done some work with the Merlin and he invited you, or maybe you are passing by. It's all up to you.
LadyEdana
Ranger of the North

Postby SmogsFlame » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:39 am

Thank you for all that Edena. It helped a good bit. I shall now write in my character.

I shall also read the book. Being as I having nothing else to do :lol: :roll:
SmogsFlame
Shield Bearer

Postby LadyEdana » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:40 pm

Your welcome :D

It's a very good book, I've read it atleast twice. Has so much information, and it's all so well thought out and researched. She has a great variety of the Fae in there. Which is suprising, most people don't like to write books where the main character is Full Fae, but she has.
LadyEdana
Ranger of the North

Postby SmogsFlame » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:20 pm

I finally got a copy of 'The Dreaming Tree'. I had to wait a while 'cause it was already checked out of my local library. But I have it now and I am reading it and finding it very interesting.

I do hope this long quiet period of nobody posting hasn't been because of me. :? I'm willing to change something if it's holding someone up.
SmogsFlame
Shield Bearer

Postby Vanaladiel » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:11 pm

Dont worry Flame, I just dont have anything to post right now.

Gosh! :shock: Where is everyone?? I wish more folks would come join with us. Beltane is tomorrow!!! :clap:
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby LadyEdana » Wed May 02, 2007 10:11 am

This is almost worse then the last time.... I hate posting every other time because I don't want to leave people behind, but there are people that said they would join, or have joined, that haven't posted.

Is there something wrong with our RPs?
LadyEdana
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Wed May 02, 2007 11:22 pm

LadyEdana I think part of it right now is that so many of the people who are in school are working on finals or papers to complete their school year. It is slow right now on the boards everywhere so if we just hang in there it could pick up. Lets give it another week and if no one else posts lets just have our party with those who are already posting. :D
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby LadyEdana » Thu May 03, 2007 6:42 am

Ok, Sounds good. Although it just seems like it's been slow since I came back....
LadyEdana
Ranger of the North

Postby earendil81 » Fri May 04, 2007 8:30 am

Sorry gals I couldn't post... I've had so much work over the past two weeks that the muse was gone into hiding...

I'll bring together a post either later; today if I can but more probably tomorrow. I didn't even have the time to actually burn incense and do anything for Beltane this year :roll:
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby SmogsFlame » Tue May 08, 2007 2:57 pm

LadyEdana: I see what you mean about Pookas. I've finished Dreamstone, and am currently reading, The Tree of Swords and Jewels. Though for some odd reason I'm a little slower getting into it. But I've gotten far enough to know that my character could not really be. I could make another one if it's needed.
Last edited by SmogsFlame on Wed May 09, 2007 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SmogsFlame
Shield Bearer

Postby LadyEdana » Tue May 08, 2007 4:51 pm

No it's fine. It doesn't have to be EXACT, unless you want it to be. But no you aren't the only one, CJ Cherryh can start off slow. It's kinda like Tolkien, slow, but once you get in, you really want to know.

I'll probably post tomorrow.... I'm heading to the stables tonight or I'd do it right now.
LadyEdana
Ranger of the North

Postby SmogsFlame » Wed May 09, 2007 1:05 pm

Well since it's alright with you I spose I'll make a couple small subtle tweaks to my character. I'll make another character anyway since we're short some people. Just until some more come that is. If nobody has a problem with that. I know multiple characters by one author in an RP can be confusing.
SmogsFlame
Shield Bearer

Postby NyckS » Wed May 23, 2007 7:46 pm

Good evening, merry folk.

My character is as follows:

Name: Listram Aerindir

Nickname: Grey Swallow

Race: Daoine Sidhe (elf)

Soul: A gentle sapphire, glowing softly amid a silver engraved hummingbirds, supported by a chain about his neck.

Appearance: Normally dressed in his light grey robe, his feet shod in grass-woven sandals, his body type could best be described as thin, almost gaunt. His eyes are kind, a soft blue color, and his hair is a soft brown, dropping down to his shoulders in gentle waves.

Talent/skills: He's a excellent singer, as well as a talented magic user. His training as a Druidic priest has enabled him to utilize some of his surroundings in his magic as well. He's also a talented flutist.

Weapons: The only type of weapon that he carries at all is his staff, and he never uses it for combat, but more for walking with. He doesn't believe in carrying or knowing how to use blades.

Personality: Have to wait and see for that one.

History: As the third and last son of a family in the area, he went to the training schools for Druids at an early age. His family cared very much for him and spent the money for all the other benefits that they could for him, allowing him to have the best tutors in high magic, music, and manners. Now, he's a rather accomplished Druid, having learned well and was known as a quick and bright learner.

Side Note: Hope you like it?
NyckS
Shield Bearer

Next

Return to Role Playing: The Green Dragon Inn (Tolkien-Influenced Fantasy)