Celtic Spring Celebration - Beltane

This forum is for role-playing within settings that influenced Tolkien (non-Middle-earth). Acceptable styles include for Celtic, Norse, Kalevala, Arthurian, and Anglo-Saxon.

Celtic Spring Celebration - Beltane

Postby LadyEdana » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:02 am

In the Hall of The Merlin of Ireland the lights were being lit. A fantastic feast was being prepared in the kitchen and the mouth watering scent of the roasted boars (10 or more) wear permeating the hall. Soft music was being played over on the north side where some of the local bards had gathered. There were still very few people as the feast still had another hour to begin.

Edana walked into the hall from the southern entrance. A young serving girl approached her and started leading her to the high table. She gazed around and looked for the Merlin. But not seeing him decided to take the servant showed her. True, She thought to herself, He would be back making sure everything is going well. He'll probably be out later to mingle a little before the feast begins.

The servant started to walk away and Edana lightly grabbed her arm. The girl smiled knowingly. Sorry mistress, the girl said quietly, He said you weren't to play or sing until later. You are to relax from your journey. The girl nodded over to the bards. Plus he doesn't want you showing up the locals he's hired. She winked and then scurried off to the kitchen. Edana decided she would just sit and wait, the music was lovely, no reason to interrupt them.
LadyEdana
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:22 am

From somewhere nearby yet out of sight, a soft humming could be heard. The melody was simple but sweet to the hearing. A lilting melody that seemed to call to everyone who was able to hear as if it wanted each to join with it.

Suddenly Keelty comes forth from the woods dancing along the edge of the stream and softly singing to herself. Butterflies dancing about her shoulders as if they had joined in the dance. Keelty's voice took upon it the sound of singing waters. As they trip over and gently fall upon the pebbles in the streams. A song of natures, full of life and happiness.

Keelty looks up and sees the goings on. Her smile warm. Slowly she meets eyes with LadyEdana as she walks over to greet her dear friend. She stops right in front of LadyEdana and curtsies.

"Greetings dear friend!" Keelty sings softly. "I have come at your invitation and am pleased to be here."

LadyEdana stands and the two hug. Friends from years ago.
Image Spring come quickly!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby earendil81 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:40 pm

She was sitting at the edge of the well as she did so often when she was a child with her legs crossed and her head resting on her knees. And she would still do it at times although the years of childhood were long gone. She liked the hour that preceded morning when the mist coming up from the waters felt as if the latter were waking up, and when the dew left her hair slightly misty and with the smell of nature. It was watching Nature being granted another day of life by Cerridwen.

The humming birds leaving their nests called nature to wake up yet none was there to witness it but her. Of course she knew it was not the case and that, in the temple, maidens, priestesses and novices were awake or waking and already up to their chores or prayers but she alone was outside looking at the beauty of Nature.

She was surrounded by the mists that felt like veils hanging about her, hiding her to the prying eyes. Yet, she was seeing although in a different way to that of usual mortal eyes. That moment of the day had always been her favourite, and would remain until the end of her life. None could understand how the worlds were close to each other at this time of the day. It was so easy to get lost in either of them. And time was blurred also as night and day met, as the sun had not yet taken over the skies. This was the instant when everything that was, that had been and that would be could be seen in truth.

She turned to walk back to the temple when she entered another place; there were two of the most beautiful creatures any world could ever bear. They could not see her; or maybe they did for the Sidhe had a vision that encompassed many of the dimensions of the world. But whether they did or not, they did not seem to care about anything but their reunion. Was it the present, the past or the future? She could not tell but she had to stop and look at those two amazingly beautiful creatures who bore the wisdom of age in their eyes and in their souls which she could only perceive.

One of them looked right into her eyes and seemed to bow to her, but in an instant they vanished and she was back in the woods beside the temple. The future or the present? She could not tell, especially since the place she had been an instant before was inside a palace, or some building so she could not figure out the lights. She would have to ask to the great Seer; maybe she would know. Slowly, she walked back to the temple, her mind all set to the task of finding out the timeline of her vision and if she would have the chance to actually meet the creatures.
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby LadyEdana » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:07 pm

Edana humms softly with the music, with it she gently weaves a spell of calling. The Merlin had said all were welcome, so she decided to make sure all who were close to her knew they were wanted. She pushed her soft melody through the weavings of both worlds.

Suddenly she felt a presence. One was closer than she had thought. She looked up and there infront of her was her dear friend Keelty. Keelty courtsied. Edana laughed softly and stood up. Embracing her dear friend she smiled and said. Dearest, Keelty, you needn't courtsy to me. Dear friends and equals as we are, there is no need.

Edana felt a slight stirring in the air, she ignored it. She was more interested in how her friend had been fairing then who was having a vision. She sensed no evil so there was nothing to fear. She pulled out a chair next hers that was unoccupied and gestured Keelty to sit next to her. Motioning for a servant to bring drinks for them both, she came fully back to the present. Tell me, what have you been up to? I sense you've been in Tir-nan-Og, have you been studying more of the bardic magic?

The drinks were set infront of them and Edana took a sip, the soft herbal drink quenching her throat.
LadyEdana
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:36 pm

"Tell me, what have you been up to? I sense you've been in Tir-nan-Og, have you been studying more of the bardic magic?" Lady Edana Ros asked as she gestured for her friend to join with her in drink and relaxation.

"Yes, I have wandered long to find my way and was granted the joy of studying there. But I still yearn to spend time with the Dryads and Nymphs of the woods and meadows. I have enjoyed my time in Tir-Nan-Og very much! But how did you know?" Vana smiled and sighed, "But tell me what have you been doing? Have you been studying more or are you finally taking in students of the ways?"

The servant returned with drinks upon a tray with fresh berries, grapes and cheeses to enjoy as they continued their reunion visit. The music playing softly in the distance. As the sun began to set into the west Keelty stood to excuse herself from her friend and make her way outside to watch the sunset and the moonrise. Something she did her best to never miss.

"Would you care to join me in my evening prayers to the moon?" Keelty asks as she reaches a hand out to her friend.
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby earendil81 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:22 pm

She was surprised to see the temple in a buzz... it was far too early for such an activity within the walls of the place. And in fact, the only reason why this should and could happen would be an important visit. But none was planned as far as she knew. It felt like the other girls were zooming past her.

She stopped one of the youngest novice who slightly curtsied.
"What is happening Liane? Why such an excitement?"
"The High Priestess called for a reunion less than an hour ago. And er... I think you had better go and change because she was looking for you."
The young one didn't actually let her react and, taking her hand, led her to her own room. They were joined by another one; apparently they set as their mission that she was ready to meet the Priestess. And she diligently prepared; there was no waiting for the messenger of Cerridwen in this world.

She washed her face and changed into clean clothes. The curved knife she tied at her belt and let if fall against her knee. Then, preceded by the two young ones she walked to the main room, where the two novices left her and returned to their preparation. The first person that she noticed was a stranger, a Druid obviously but also a messenger as his outfit revealed. Yet, her first proper glance was to the Priestess. She bowed and went to sit next to the Seer. Shiobhan looked at her knowledgeably; the Seer had known all along where the young woman had been but had not revealed the woman's secret.

"Now that we are all here, let me introduce you Declan. He is a messenger from the Merlin of Ireland and has asked me to gather you here. What is your message Declan.
- Thank you Lady Nimue. The Merlin of Ireland first would like to pay his respect to you and your sisters. He has also called all people to gather in his halls to celebrate the Spring and Beltain. And he has sent me so that I can ride with you the long roads to his halls.
- Declan you will thank the Merlin for his care. But sadly I will have to decline; my age and my health do not allow me to make such long travels anymore as the Merlin should be aware of since he still was a young man in his order when I became High Priestess within these walls.
- But for sure My Lady you would make this trip and honour Beltane with your presence and blessing.
- Actually I will not, because this is not the road I can take. But this is the first step on her way for a priestess here who will have to take up my role when I am to leave these shores. The Blue Seer Erin will travel with you and represent our order at the celebrations. And since she did see Sidhe in her vision this morning I think this means it is time for her to actually meet some.

She had listened to the conversation in a daze, still wrapped in the vision of the morning, and she hardly realised that they were talking about her. It was only when she heard Shiobhan cough that she looked up to the High Priestess.
"Excuse me, I didn't get that.
Nimue laughed merrily.
"Stop getting lost in your visions Erin; it is now time for you to face this world. You are no longer a child and it is time for the woman and priestess you are to take another step in this order. You'll represent us and you will ride with Declan and meet Elves at the Celebration of Belain.

She bowed, both in awe and in shock, but she answered in the manner required
"I thank you for the honour Mother and I shall be worthy of your trust to represent our sisters and serve Cerridwen in the best way I can."
- Fine you will be leaving tomorrow before dawn but today is time for merriment.
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby SmogsFlame » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:15 pm

Eclethon stepped silently out of the woods and into the clearing around the Merlin of Ireland's hall. The guards watched Eclethon like hawks and when he approached to the, barred his entrance.

One of the guards spoke up. "Only those that 'av been invited are allowed in 'ere. Be off with you."

Eclethon held the invitation under the guard's nose. The letter was written in a beautiful flowing silver script and signed with the merlin's seal. "I have been invited." He said quietly, dark eyes blazing.

The guards' faces turned bright red. The one that had spoken first turned and said to the other. "It seems he has. I 'spose we have to let him in."

Eclethon walked through the now open gate, into the courtyard. He looked down at the invitation. He stood remembering the day that he had recieved it.

Eclethon walked through to forests as he had so many times before. He always liked the forests, he always found some new untrodden way to go. So there was always some place new to see.

He had just rounded a corner when he spotted an old man in a grey hooded cloak leaning on a beach tree. Ducking behind a large oak, he stood listening.

"Come on out Eclethon. I know you're there."

Now where had he heard that voice before? At first he couldn't remember but then it dawned on him as he stepped out from behind the tree. "How did you know it was me? And how did you find me?" He asked warily.

The man didn't answer just stood smiling at him from under his hood. Eclethon slowly nodded. "That was a pair of foolish questions. How does anyone hide from you?"

The man laughed. "They don't. Now if you would be so kind as to come closer so that I don't have to walk over there, I would be most happy."

Eclethon walked over to the old man still wary but not as much as before. He had never really trusted the Merlin, but he and his father had been close friends so that helped the Merlin's cause. When he stood within a few feet of the Merlin, he reached inside his cloak. "Here. I have an invitation for you. I wish you to be in attendance at my hall."

Eclethon looked down at the invitation, and was just about to ask a question, but when he looked up the Merlin was gone.

So here he was now. At the Merlin's hall, and already he was wishing he hadn't come. As he entered several people that had gathered there were staring at him. Including a pair of women not far from him.
SmogsFlame
Shield Bearer

Location: One step closer to the edge, and I'm about to break!

Postby LadyEdana » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:37 pm

I have enjoyed my time in Tir-Nan-Og very much! But how did you know? Keelty asked inquisitively.

Edana Grinned widely. If you spend much time studying there and then going back and forth. You will feel it, both in yourself, firstly, and in others, lastly. She sipped at her drink and sighed. Tir-Nan-Og.... She gazed out, the came back, It leaves a magical aura as it full of magic. And the aura is different from any you will ever pick up here.

Keelty Smiled and Sighed. But tell me what have you been doing? Have you been studying more or are you finally taking in students of the ways? Vana asked.

Edana laughed lightly. I am always studying. It's a never ending obsession with me. You should know that. One of these days I shall take a student... if they can keep up with me. Maybe even you. She bit into an apple. I do believe the Merlin has been shopping outside this realm. She grinned.

As the light started to fade outside she noticed that tonight the moon was timed perfectly. It hadn't risen before nightfall. How clever of our dear Merlin, She thought to herself. Just then Keelty stood up. She had turned to excuse herself then turned back.

Would you care to join me in my evening prayers to the moon? Keelty asks as she reaches a hand out to her friend.

I was just thinking that would be nice. Edana took her friend's hand. Let us go honor our mother. As they were walking out the door into the courtyard Edana noticed a Phouka coming in. I hope the Merlin knows what he's doing, She thought to herself. She locked eyes with the Phouka and connecting with the Animal phase, which seemed faint in this one, sent a silent message. 'Tis strange to see your kind at such a gathering. Just behave yourself. And without letting him respond was wisked out the gate by Keelty into the fields to dance.
LadyEdana
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:04 pm

Upon leaving the pavilion, Lady Edana Ros and Keelty find that others have gathered about the meadow. The music from the pavilion can still be heard and sounds like it is geared particularly for the act of dancing.

Out of the corner of her eye, Keelty sees dryads and druids coming out of the forest and moving to the meadow as well.

"Come now dance for your mother calls
sing of love and glory
move with grace called from the earth
sing of love and glory
swiftly now for time stops not
but carrys on beside us."

The song of the druids runs like the blood within our beings and soothes the heart of even the most worrisome. Soon it seems that everyone has formed a circle and is dancing in the melody of nature and the rhythm of time. Softly steps are taken and turns are made as the group moves about the meadow. When finally after several times around the circle the music stops everyone is smiling and feeling warmed by the glow of the moon. Giggles can be heard as some of the younger faeries and elves run off towards the pavilion once more.

The dryads and the druids melt away back into the forest for the moment. though Keelty knows that the druids will be back before the festival is over.

"Come Lady!" Keelty takes Edana by the hand. "Lets get back to the party and see if anyone else has arrived." The sparkle in Keelty's eyes is one of hope and joy.

The two take off across the meadow again and race to see which would make it back to the pavilion first. Lady Edana of course won but Keelty smiles and gives her a huge hug.

"One of these days," She gasps trying to catch her breath, "I will beat you!"

Lady Edana smiles and opens the flap of the tent to allow Keelty to enter first. Then they disappear into the crowd making their way to something to drink.
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby SmogsFlame » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:55 pm

'Tis strange to see your kind at such a gathering. Just behave yourself.

Eclethlon stared back, his face remained neutral. A mask to cover the anger that ran deeper then the blood in his veins. He was used to such welcomes. He only wished he wouldn't have to put up with it for much longer.

He walked over to the buffet table and began selecting things from it. As he approached, and walked down the table's length, many people gave him a wide berth. Until finally, plate filled, he walked to a corner and sat cross legged on the ground. He was determined to annoy and offend as many people as he could before the night was over. He even returned to the buffet table once in the form of a fly, then as he drew near the tables changed back to his Phouka form, startling and annoying a great many people.

Having finally eaten his fill he lounged about on the ground. Oh the things one could discover by listening to what the ground had to say. It told him of the druids and the dryads on the lawn, dancing in the moon light, of the creatures lurking in the dark beyond the ring of light cast from the pavilion, but most loudly of the people inside the pavilion. Quite interesting really, if one would take the time as to listen.

He was just comtemplating changing into some animal and go prowling about when the two ladies that had passed him going out suddenly appeared coming back in. He looked at the one that had sent him the message. "See? See how I behave myself? Like a dog that begs for crumbs."

He watched as she looked around trying to pinpoint the sender of the mental message. He just stared at her, his face blank and devoid of expression.
SmogsFlame
Shield Bearer

Postby earendil81 » Sun May 06, 2007 10:28 pm

The trip had been smooth and nice, although she was sore in the leg because of the distance. She admitted to Declan that she had never travelled that long and that far from the island ever since she arrived there as a child.

She also could not forget that the longest she had been away also was when she was sent away to find her way back and prove her belonging to the Goddess. But that she could not tell him for it was one of the secrets of the initiation.

The first few days had found in Declan a quiet and yet agreeable company. He would not talk much, but neither would she. He cared that she was never too far behind and also that she never got lost too long in her visions as they slowed them. But then he became much cheerful as Beltain approached as well as their destination. He would tell her what beautiful place the Hall of the Merlin was and she could tell he was as proud to be part of the Merlin's house as she was of belonging to her community.

Yet whatever he had said had not prepared her to the splendor of the place, and that of the people who were there. She was indeed gazing upon the most beautiful and oldest creatures of this world. It felt like being in a vision again and she could not tell whether this was true or not; the mist that surrounded her days before were not here and yet, she could see it stretch at the edge of her eyes. She felt rather than saw someone take her hand and guide her through the crowd assembled for the feast. The cloth of a tent flapped as she entered some sort of pavillion where many of the fascinating creatures stood.

But none more fascinating than the two standing up next a table helping themselves with a drink. She had seen them before; they were chatting exactly that way beautiful, vibrating with age and wisdom and also a joy so amazing that it seemed to be the kind of happiness that would forever elude humans. And just like in her previous vision of these two female Sidhe, one turned her head and looked straight into her eyes letting her see a glimpse of the past centuries she had seen. Erin clutched her heart as she bowed, as much out of respect as out of fear at having seen but a remnants of something even her great-grand-mother had been too young to know.
Never forgetting those who have passed into the West :rose:

Sharing a story with Rholarowyn: Once There Were Words

Laesha is taking her first steps in the RP world with Eilathen and a bunch of great characters in The Expected Party
Fan of Redemption: the Reckoning

Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you
I have been changed for good.

It's funny how some distance
Makes everything seem small
And the fears that once controlled me
Can't get to me at all
It's time to see what I can do
To test the limits and break through
No right, no wrong, no rules for me
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby NyckS » Wed May 23, 2007 8:42 pm

Listram stepped away from the other dancers quietly and quickly, attempting to avoid any grouping of people about him as so often seemed to happen once people found out who he was. Chuckling to himself, he watched most of the crowd disperse, noticing that a large majority was headed towards the pavilion again. Smiling to himself , he turned to head back towards the forest to find something which resembled peace and quiet again. This celebration was about all the noise he could possibly handle and he was SO tired of the others hanging on him.

"Hold on there, Listram, I mean, milord." Listram turned at the familiar voice, grinning inwardly helplessly as he saw his childhood friend coming towards him. "You don't mean to escape this wonderful chance to meet some more of the beautiful specimens which we have been lead here to meet. Surely you don't think Arrawn led you here merely to keep a date with the Merlin?"

Listram answered his friend in a light tone, "Come now, Eram, how many times do I have to tell you that I have things to think about? I'm an Ovate, not some goofy human out looking for a good time." He shot an attempt of a stern look at his friend, "Not like -some- that I know anyway. Besides, I wouldn't want to take your chances away entirely by entering the scene." He grinned at the Gael.

"Fiddlesticks, my boy... come and join the party. See those young beauties right over there?" Eram pointed to the other side of the clearing where two ladies were just entering the pavilion. "Let's go meet them at least... let them have a look at you, and then decide. It wouldn't hurt... where's your manners?"

"Eram, I mean it... I don't nee..." "What would your mother say, Listram?" Eram interupted his friend quickly. The older elven Druid heaved a large sigh, "You always have to bring her into it, don't you?" "Well, she did say to look out for you, didn't she?" "Fine, fine... let's get this over with."

Eram grinned victoriously and led the unwilling Listram closer to the pavilion and up to the two ladies in question. Bowing low, he addressed them, "Good evening, ladies, I couldn't help but see the beauty emanating from this side of the table and had to come see from which bright source it was originating. But as I see that Heaven itself has blessed you two with such grandness, I can't even bear to see the sight of you for fear of being blinded both with the brightness of your beauty and by the gods, for they would surely curse me for looking upon their glorious treasures."

Listram sighed softly at his friend and looked at the two ladies, nodding slightly in a friendly, polite greeting.

(OOC: The two ladies in question, I'm hoping are Edana and Keelty?)
NyckS
Shield Bearer

Postby LadyEdana » Sat May 26, 2007 8:18 am

As they slowed their dancing and eventually went back to the pavillion in a small cloud of gay laughter the two old friends embraced the brisk night breeze that was arising to intoxicate them. They race back to the pavillion, "One of these days," Keelty gasps trying to catch her breath, "I will beat you!"

She hears another voice, "See? See how I behave myself? Like a dog that begs for crumbs." But it's not physical and she knows the source. She just nods.

Lady Edana smiles and opens the flap of the tent to allow Keelty to enter first. Then they disappear into the crowd making their way to something to drink. After finding something light to drink they find their seats again and watch the gathering for familiar faces. Edana sees a young girl enter the tent dressed in priestess garb followd by a Druid. She reaches out with just the tiniest brush of magic. Yes she says to herself this is the one, she has the vision. She smiles warmly at the girl and nods as if to say You may approach.

Just then 2 figures appeared as if out of no where, signalling a fay entrance. Bowing low, one addressed them, "Good evening, ladies, I couldn't help but see the beauty emanating from this side of the table and had to come see from which bright source it was originating. But as I see that Heaven itself has blessed you two with such grandness, I can't even bear to see the sight of you for fear of being blinded both with the brightness of your beauty and by the gods, for they would surely curse me for looking upon their glorious treasures."

Edana Laughed. "You are not talking to a mere mortal to which you can lead away with a sultry look and a sweet voice. But I thank you for your words." Then in a joking manner she leaned over and not so quietly whispered. "Did you get into the Merlin's special brew?" She winked and tried to look innocent as Keelty started to laugh.
LadyEdana
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Tue May 29, 2007 8:57 pm

Bowing low, he addressed them, "Good evening, ladies, I couldn't help but see the beauty emanating from this side of the table and had to come see from which bright source it was originating. But as I see that Heaven itself has blessed you two with such grandness, I can't even bear to see the sight of you for fear of being blinded both with the brightness of your beauty and by the gods, for they would surely curse me for looking upon their glorious treasures."

Listram sighed softly at his friend and looked at the two ladies, nodding slightly in a friendly, polite greeting.

As Lady Edana laughed and responded, the bold speaker stepped back and pushed his partner forward some. Keelty stood silent for a moment then stepped forward and curtsied to the two men standing before her. Her smile shy and reserved but her green eyes met the soft blue eyes of the silent one, who smiled back at her. Suddenly realizing she was staring deeply into his blue eyes, a gentle blush came to her cheeks.

"I dont believe we been formally introduced. I am known as Moonlight Dancer and this is my friend Brier. To what names may we address you?"

"My name is Grey Swallow." He responded. His friend looking about motioned for drinks to be brought by a young sprite who was passing out drinks to the party participants. Soon another tray followed with fruits and breads and other treats to nibble on.

"Welcome to the festival." Keelty remarked. "How far have you come to join with us here? If I may ask or am I too bold or speaking out of turn." Again Keeltly blushed at how forward she felt she was being. So she played with her hair and stood quiet rubbing her moonstone necklace between her fingertips waiting for his reply.
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby SmogsFlame » Thu May 31, 2007 2:05 pm

Eclethon was bored. The whole party was positively boring. What had the Merlin gotten him into? He was just about to leave when he felt a tremour. He could not say from wence it came but he felt it just the same.

He leaned over so that his ear was almost on the ground. There was something out there alright but he couldn't tell what. For lack of anything better to do he rose from his crosslegged position and walked out of the pavilion. As he went he could feel many pairs of eyes on his back. He just took a deep breathe and kept going.

He walked out past the dancing lawn and melted into the forest. Sniffing the air like a deer before it steps into the meadow. It was strange, definitely not one he was familiar with. Another Phouka perhaps? He was sure. He could feel the air shift about him as it moved. "We shall soon see shan't we?" He asked himself.
SmogsFlame
Shield Bearer

Postby Quimrill_Renctar » Thu May 31, 2007 7:48 pm

Glendarion padded through the underbrush, towards the source of the sound. The birds had mentioned that these festivities were underway the last time he had spoken with them that morning. Birds were always easily excitable and Glen thought that perhaps he might have offended them by not sharing in their enthusiasm at the time. He regretted that laps in judgment now. The birds would doubtlessly hold some kind of grudge and would terrorize him whenever he was trying to sleep with loud chattering for the next week or so.

To say that he came to the festival now simply because he desired to appease the birds was not true however. By nature Glendarion was curious, and as he drew closer to the celebration grounds he began to get excited about what he might find. Subconsciously he started purring with anticipation, a deep rumbling sound, but stopped himself as soon as he realized what he was doing and adopted a more detached attitude, half closing his big green eyes.

He sidled up to edge of the clearing and scanned the area. It was colorfully decorated with man lights hanging from tree branches and along cords that ran from trees to a central poll imbedded into the ground at the center of the clearing. A large bonfire roared merrily on while a group of fays played lively jigs on wooden instruments. It was all very exciting, but Glen sat still a rock, watching and waiting for the perfect moment to immerge. There at least one other of his kind there that he could see, but that did not mean that others were not in the large tent that was set up off to the side. There were many people dancing about the green and generally enjoying themselves. The majority were fay, but there were a few mortals in the mix; yet another fact that Glendarion found curious.

The Phouka he had seen emerge from the tent crossed the lawn toward him and entered into the woods a mere three yards from where Glendarion sat, still as stone. Something smelled strange about the man. Some faint sent of dog, Glen wrinkled his nose reflexively. Tentatively he took a step forward onto the lawn and felt the other’s keen eyes lock onto his form as soon as he had. Those on the dance floor did not so much at start at seeing him enter the green; it was common to see all manner of nature wander into one of these festivals and they posed no threat.

Glendarion kicked up onto his hind legs and became himself. His legs straightened and black fur retracted into his body or became loose and formed the dark fabric of his pants and coat. His muzzle and sharp teeth decreased and size and his eyes, while they did not change their hue, became smaller and un-slitted. This transformation drew one or two more prolonged stares and Glendarion heard the rustle of foliage behind him as the other stepped out behind him.

“Well met fellow,” Glendarion said quietly, “What goes on here?”

“A spring celebration,” the other said monotone, “Were you invited? I had not thought to see one of my brethren here.”

“Invited?” Glendarion chuckled. “Yes I suppose I have been invited.” The birds had brought him a beautifully written invitation to the festival. It was written in beautiful flowing handwriting and was addressed to Filcaron. Well whoever Filcaron was, he would probably be more comfortable at home anyway. “I am called Glendarion.”

“I am called Eclethon,” Eclethon responded.

“It is nice to have met you.” He looked down at his invitation again. “What do I do with this?”

“You passed in here another way,” Eclethon answered, “You missed the guards.”

“Ah,” Glendarion sighed, “Well then on to the festival. It was a pleasure.”

With that Glendarion made for the large pavilion at the other edge of the green. There were good smells emanating from it and he intended to make good use of his journey here.

Upon entering the tent his sensitive nostrils were assailed by such delights as had been absent from his olfactories for more years than he cared to remember. This was a good decision to come, and with the hope of some good dancing to come, it was looking to be a good night. Swiftly he made his way to the main food laden table and began to investigate the many delicacies...
Quimrill_Renctar
Ranger of the North

Location: A little patch of paradise I like to call... the backside of nowhere

Postby NyckS » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:20 pm

"Welcome to the festival." Keelty remarked. "How far have you come to join with us here? If I may ask or am I too bold or speaking out of turn?" Again Keelty blushed at how forward she felt she was being. So she played with her hair and stood quietly rubbing her moonstone necklace between her fingertips waiting for his reply.

Eram shot him a quick grin, but Listram ignored him as he looked down at the girl in front of him, "Pleased to meet you, Mistress Moonlight Dancer." His voice was soft, but had a musical tone to it which resonated strongly. "I can see where you got your name. I must compliment you on your amazing dancing out there a little earlier. It was truly a pleasure to see you express yourself."

He heard Eram beside him saying something to the other lady, "Me? My lady, how could you make yourself out to seem less than you are. After all, it's not just me who sees that you're beautiful, so therefore it couldn't be just some random mixture of the Merlin's, may Arawn guide him, wonderful brew. I mean, really now, you don't think I could possibly be the only one right? And as for the mere mortal part, you've pierced me to the quick."

Listram inwardly sighed as he pictured his friend's fake hurt expression which he knew was likely to follow that sentence. Somehow, the Gael would just keep going and going, never knowing when enough was enough and he'd probably end up trying to flirt with this unfortunate lady all night.

Shaking his head ever so slightly, he turned his attention to the lady in front of himself again. "I'm sorry... a moment's distraction. As for how far I've come this particular time, I have to admit that I was quite far away this time, but I do travel so it's not that big of a deal. I should have been headed this direction anyway, as there was some business that I needed to complete this time. And no, I certainly don't mind the question."

Keelty seemed to hesitate again, but she spoke up anyway, asking another question, "And how far is far?"

Listram allowed himself a small chuckle at her persistance. "Actually, if you really want to know, before I came here, I was over across the channel on the continent, traveling the land in search of new stories and ideas. Some fascinating people from over on the other side."

He glanced down at his garments, seemingly so unfitting for an occasion like this. He was dressed in the simple brown robe of a traveling pilgrim, tied with a easy knot, and he certainly didn't look the part of a lord and trusted Druidic Ovate.

Lowering his voice even more, he glanced to his side towards the young girl which had caught Edana's attention earlier, "May I ask you if you know who the young lady is there? With the Druid? She looks rather important, but I fear that my time out of the country has incapacitated my knowledge of her name."
NyckS
Shield Bearer

Postby Vanaladiel » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:00 pm

"May I ask you if you know who the young lady is there? With the Druid? She looks rather important, but I fear that my time out of the country has incapacitated my knowledge of her name."

Brier and Keelty both looked in the direction that Grey Swallow nodded.

"I dont recognize her do you, Brier?" Keelty looked at Brier and awaited a response to her question, noting that Brier seemed to be lost in deep thought, either remembering something or having a vision. When no response came Keelty moved closer to her friend.

Slowly she raised her hand and placed it upon Briers shoulder as if to call her back to the present.

"Brier?" she almost whispered.
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Quimrill_Renctar » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:32 am

Too short… too fat… too sad… way too tall… not strong enough… ah! Perfect!

Glendarion quickly pushed the last of the tart he had been consuming into his mouth and licked his lips. The constant music that provided the backdrop to the festive activities was beginning to cause his toes to twitch in the grass. The melodies were infectious and he craved to dance. He didn’t mind dancing on his own, closing his eyes and moving to the wood drums and flute, but to begin with a partner made better company for spins and twirls and hops.

Even though he was a fay who spent most of his time in the forest, dancing held few mysteries for him. It had been his mother who had instructed him and later the villages about his wood had hosted the odd carnival or springtime merry, which he had attended incognito.

With his quarry sighted he began to make his way across the pavilion towards the two women and two men who were deep in conversation. It did not bother him that he would be interrupting, after all it was a festival and one had too keep moving. Seldom did you see someone just standing and talking. Vaguely Glendarion wonder how they had managed to stay still so long with this music drumming in their ears; it virtually screamed to be danced to.

He picked his was nimbly through the crowed, somehow avoiding the slightest touch or brush against anyone. With flowing grace he slipped up behind the four fay and rest a delicate hand on one of the women’s shoulder, just as she did the same to the other woman.

With a small start she turned to face him. “Yes… oh…” Glendarion flinched as her gaze swept over him. Doubtless she was surprised to see one of his kind here, at such a social gathering. Of course she could detect his nature, but Glendarion never enjoyed the piercing scrutiny. There were fay that considered some races above others, and Phouka had never been at the top of the social order.

He braced himself for the slight turning down at the side of the lips and the tightening around the eyes and was relieved when the tell tale signs of displeasure did not come. Rather, the woman continued quickly. “Greetings, may I be of service.”

“I hope so,” Glendarion said as he bowed slightly, “I am called Glendarion, and I would request the pleasure of a dance.”
Quimrill_Renctar
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:27 pm

At Keelty's touch Brier came about and smiled.

"Forgive me please!" Brier quickly responded coming back into the conversation.

At that same moment a hand settled upon Keelty's shoulder, startling her momentarily. She turned.

"Yes… oh…” There standing before her was a pouka. Not often had she seen them but she did not feel any differently towards them then the other forest and faery creatures. She was always rather curious about them since she had never met or known any to this point. So she smiled kindly.

"Greetings, may I be of service?" She added.

“I hope so, I am called Glendarion, and I would request the pleasure of a dance.”

"Well, Glendarion, I am called MoonLight Dancer and I would be most honored to have a dance with you." She smiled to herself seeing his fear revealed in his eyes that she might be repulsed or refuse his request.

"Excuse us please?" Keelty stated to the company that she was standing with then she turned back to Glendarion.

Taking his hands in hers, she led him to the open area of the pavilion and started to sway with the tune, letting him take the lead once they were in place amongst the other dancers. She saw the relief in his eyes turn to joy and could swear that she saw a smile actually come to his face. His hands carefully moved to be placed upon her arm and her slender waist. The musicians playing lilting and magical tunes enticing the senses to feel all of nature in the melodies. Together they twirled and danced about the others, totally as if they were the only ones in their world at that moment in time.

Keelty seemed to float and the pouka danced with such elegance that she was totally and pleasantly surprised with his grace. Surely he had a great teacher. Keelty smiled freely and enjoyed the moment.
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby LadyEdana » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:42 pm

Lost in thought Edana snapped back at the touch of Keelty's touch. "Forgive me please!" Edana quickly responded coming back into the conversation. She quickly pulled from the her unconscious mind the question that had been asked. May I ask you if you know who the young lady is there? With the Druid? She looks rather important, but I fear that my time out of the country has incapacitated my knowledge of her name.

She looked up at Listram and shoook her head. "No, I'm afraid I don't know her personally. Although she does seem vaguely familiar." She paused a moment and looked back at the girl. She thought to herself, Yes she's the one with the Sight. She pulled herself back to the young gentlemen infront of her, and resolved to be nicer. "Forgive me please if I seem a little not quite here. I have been travelling and have not returned home yet."

Presently a new Phouka joined them and asked Keelty to dance. She was wisked out to the dance floor and Edana was very pleased to see her friend enjoying herself. But she began to worry it was nearing high moon and the fires should be lit soon to be of full power. She reached out for the Merlin and felt him, finally he was coming! Just then the Merlin entered from the back of the pavillion and flashed a smile her direction. He was old as far as the Gael's were concerned, very old, but yet he still seemed young in his movements. There was a twinkle in his bright green eyes as he approached them at the head table. She held her breath as a man she had once loved and still did, just in a slightly different way took command of the room.
LadyEdana
Ranger of the North

Postby Quimrill_Renctar » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:48 pm

Glendarion was pleased to find that his prediction had been correct. The Elf fit very comfortably in his arms and had been trained well in dancing. He had thought that to be the case from the way she held herself and moved. It was either that or she was one who used the sword more then in just passing need. Dancers and sword masters never wasted motion and seemed to glide or slide rather than walk at all times. Glendarion already knew, for sure now, that he had found a dancer, the faint sent of metal made him wonder if he had found a swordswoman as well. He also faintly smelled something of a dog or wolf, but in his true form such things did not bother him.

“You dance well,” the elf finally said after they had danced for some minutes.

“As do you,” Glendarion replied, briefly focusing on her eyes. When dancing most of his vision went into his peripheral in order to avoid running into other dancers. “You have great skill and your movements are very smooth, I am impressed.”

“Well thank you.” Keelty smiled at the compliment. “I can tell you enjoy dancing quite as bit.”

“Yes, it is an art form.” He cocked his head to ones side for a moment in thought, executing a spin to the right to avoid a laughing pair of Slaugh as they cut a straight path across the floor. “Much like singing, or painting, or using blades.” He thought a moment more. “Much more like using blades.”

“Oh?” Keelty had to pause for a moment as the pouka spun her away from him so that they were only connected by their fingertips, their arms outstretched. He pulled lightly on her fingers and she, accordingly, wound herself back into his arms. He sidestepped nimbly, at the last second taking her other hand, and spun her away from him in the opposite direction. Another light tug and she folded herself back into his arms as he spun them both with her momentum around to the outside of the dance area and around the rim. “I guess I can see what you mean. Both require agile movement.”

“Yes,” the Glendarion answered after a few moments making sure that their rapid migration did not place them on any collision courses, “From the strength in your shoulders and arms I would guess you use them.’

“Or maybe I just really enjoy dancing,” Keelty avoided answering the question directly. At party was not perhaps the best time to be talking about the art of violence, no matter how artful it might be.

Glendarion nodded and nurtured a faint smile, “That, my lady, is a very good thing to enjoy.” He realized his question had been dodged, but he did not desire an answer enough to pursue it and possibly risk his dance partner or the mood. “Is there any particular dance you prefer? The music is lending.”
Quimrill_Renctar
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:02 pm

Vana was enjoying the pouka's company and the dancing when he asked her about her favorite dance.

“Is there any particular dance you prefer? The music is lending.”

Vana was about to respond, when the flap to the pavilion opened and the Merlin stepped in. The music stopped mid melody and faces all about the pavilion turned to see the Merlin as he walked in and strolled up to Brier.

"Excuse me please, can we go see what is going on?" Vana asked as she tugged on the pouka's hand still within hers. "Come on!"

She pulled him over to the small table where they had been before their dancing. Standing back but near enough to hear all that was said they listened. Vana smiled at the pouka and never let go of his hand as they stood there and marveled at the Merlin straining to hear his every word.
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby SmogsFlame » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:19 pm

Eclethon watched as the other phouka walked inside. A strange one he is. He thought to himself. Eclethon sat down on a rock and brought his knees up to his chin, wraping his arms around himself. His staff leaning upon his shoulder.

Aside from his staff he had only brought his dagger. He had not thought it wise to come at all, but since he was here, he had decided to leave his sword in the woods nearby. He sat for a long while thinking. Listening to the nightly noises, contrasting with the noises of the party inside the pavilion.

He had been seated for some time and was contemplating leaveing. But about that time he spied the Merlin through the open tent flap and decided to stay long enough to hear what was being said.

He stood up on the rock and used it as a springboard to leap into the moonlit field. He ran across the field as silent as a shadow, and stepped inside the pavilion. Now to find out why he had been summoned.
SmogsFlame
Shield Bearer

Postby Quimrill_Renctar » Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:34 pm

Glendarion’s first reflex was to feel annoyed. He was having a splendid time dancing and now it had been interrupted. That emotion was quickly smothered by the excitement of the Merlin’s appearance.

“Excuse me please, can we go see what is going on?” Glendarion nodded absently, noticing that the elf had not released his hand. He left his fingers firm but open so that she could drop his hand whenever she wanted. “Come on!”

He smiled inwardly- a smile that was mirrored faintly on his face- as she led him back to the table where he had found her, and still she did not release his hand. It wasn’t everyday a pouka had the opportunity to fraternize with an elf. It was mainly by choice. Pouka generally avoided a lot of contact with other fays. It was just more comfortable that way; even if they were all brethren.

It was hard thing now to describe what he felt, and the smile for the irony of that feeling. How often he avoided being in contact with other intelligent beings. He would only visit the villages around his “domain” very seldom. Now here he was enjoying the company of another fay. He was not simply being passively polite, he was actually enjoying himself. It was a new and interesting experience; exciting and foreign.

As the Merlin began to speak Glendarion finally gave in. Now with a very definite, but gentle, smile on his face he closed his fingers around her hand as well.
Quimrill_Renctar
Ranger of the North

Postby LadyEdana » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:50 pm

The Merlin stood at the head of the pavilion watching as everyone looked up from what they were doing. He cleared his throat and raised his hands. Welcome, friends, colleagues, wanderers, to my humble abode. Some of you are here for fun, some have been called. All are here to welcome the season. The lights in the pavilion dimmed and new lights sprang up in various shapes and signs all along the roof. Every person saw their own vision.

Edana closed her eyes and saw a tree hung with the hearts of those who had left them. It's bright white flowers a bloom and blindingly bright. Part of her dismayed that he would bring visions to the celebration, but yet she was glad. Even if they confused her it was always good to know. There was a flash and perched high in the tree she saw a phoenix, a crescent of blue on it head. This was getting stranger and she wished he would end it or continue.

The Merlin lowered his hands and the lights came back up, there was a hushed silence over the room.
LadyEdana
Ranger of the North

Return to Role Playing: The Green Dragon Inn (Tolkien-Influenced Fantasy)