New, roomier Rhetorical Hash House and Diner

Adoption threads that have reached the 500 postcount limit are stored here. Note: threads in this Archive forum are Read Only.

Postby MariaHobbit » Sat May 15, 2004 10:19 am

Hey, Jn!!!! :D Welcome back! :)

Look at the new addition to my family!

http://img4.photobucket.com/albums/0803 ... e_Eyed.jpg

http://img4.photobucket.com/albums/0803 ... e_head.jpg

http://img4.photobucket.com/albums/0803 ... e_hand.jpg

http://img4.photobucket.com/albums/0803 ... y_baby.jpg

http://img4.photobucket.com/albums/0803 ... thingy.jpg

http://img4.photobucket.com/albums/0803 ... got_it.jpg

A feral cat had kittens outside the building where I work. My daughter and a coworker caught the kittens and we took one home. Meet "Tom Bombadil" :D Bright blue are his eyes and his boots are yellow! :D

And he is a merry fellow, as well! :D Those first four pictures were from day one, the day we caught him and took him home. I have NEVER seen a wild kitten tame down so fast. :) He's a real sweety! :)

edit: sorry Melly, I don't know about how to view profiles.
MariaHobbit
Mariner

Postby Jnyusa » Sat May 15, 2004 11:43 am

What a cutie!! Mom may not have been feral for very long. So many people dump cats these days. The kitties are lucky that humans took them in.

Let's try some emoticons. :o a-ha! just click and it goes in the right place. No html. :arrow: :twisted: twisted? nah ... devilish! :lol:

Jn
Jnyusa
Mariner

Woo-hoo1

Postby Axordil » Sat May 15, 2004 3:26 pm

So good to have you back, jny. :o

Melly--

Good question to which I have no answere. I tried looking at the member list but nothing seemed clickable there--although it's nice being able to see the roster again.
Axordil
Mariner

Postby Faramond » Sun May 16, 2004 1:38 am

That cat has the devil :twisted: in 'im. I'd swear it!

What?

Am I serious?

No. Just kidding. :wink:
Tom Bombadil seems like a great name for that cat.

I wonder, will he ever have a Goldberry?

What's the arrow :arrow: bubble for? :?: I've been trying to figure out when one would use it, and I can't think of anything. No ideas. :idea:

There are now four :!: anger emoticons, and three devil emoticons, plus a "no no" emoticon. These new emoticons are such a pessimistic lot. Can't we all just get along?
Faramond
Ranger of the North

Postby Castanea_d. » Sun May 16, 2004 12:58 pm

Ooooohhhh, a kitty!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D

What a cutie!

Jnyusa, it is very good to see you here again.

OK, I have been refusing to try these silly things, so here goes....
javascript:emoticon(':shock:')
Shjavascript:emoticon('8)')
Cojavascript:emoticon(':lol:')
Laughinjavascript:emoticon(':roll:')
Rolling Eyesgolojavascript:emoticon(':rofl:')
Laughingcked

Wow! Even silly me can handle this!
Castanea_d.
Rider of the Mark

Postby Castanea_d. » Sun May 16, 2004 1:01 pm

Well, maybe not. I was dragging them over and dropping them in my text, and you see what happened: I got the descriptions as well.

Another little quirk: I can't seem to "Edit" my posts, such as the above. I noticed this the other day when I wanted to change something I had written. Is anyone else having trouble with this?
Castanea_d.
Rider of the Mark

Postby MariaHobbit » Mon May 17, 2004 6:09 am

No, I've sucessfully "edited" several times.
Last edited by MariaHobbit on Mon May 17, 2004 11:08 am, edited 6 times in total.
MariaHobbit
Mariner

?

Postby Amram » Mon May 17, 2004 6:45 am

Geez, a guy goes to sleep for awhile and you up and move the whole place *weep*

Wow, kinda quiet around here... service must be dropping off
Amram
Rider of the Mark

Postby Jnyusa » Wed May 19, 2004 12:14 pm

I'm here on my Mac OS9.1. Suddenly, everything works. This is like waking up from a bad dream when you were absolutely sure that you weren't asleep.

Is it possible that the internet is the reason why the five top-selling pharmeceuticals are for treatment of neuroses?

Jn
Jnyusa
Mariner

Postby Axordil » Wed May 19, 2004 12:42 pm

Amram--

Actually, it was more along the lines of building on the ruins of the old one. Sort of like most European capitals.

jnyusa--

Little known fact: software companies are actually marketing divisions of pharmaceutical companies.
Axordil
Mariner

Postby Jnyusa » Wed May 19, 2004 4:26 pm

Is anyone still getting stretchy pages because of my sig? Lock-bearer sent me an email telling me where to put carriage, but I can't tell if it fixed the problem or not because the pages weren't stretched on my machine.

(Ha! for once my machine looked right and everyone else's looked funny.)

Jn
Jnyusa
Mariner

Postby Axordil » Wed May 19, 2004 8:15 pm

They look OK to me now--they have looked stretched in the past.
Axordil
Mariner

Tidy edits

Postby Faramond » Thu May 20, 2004 1:20 am

Castanea--

I did have trouble editing, because nothing happens when I click with the cursor right over the word "edit". But there is a thin strip of pixels below the word "edit" where I can click and bring up the edit screen. It's sort of hard to find.

I don't know if this will help you. Keep in mind I'm on a Mac, running Netscape.

What stretchy pages? What are you all talking about? Carriage? What, are you browsing with a typewriter, Jnyusa? (Maybe that was your problem) Nothing makes sense! AAAAHHHH!
Faramond
Ranger of the North

Postby Amram » Thu May 20, 2004 6:08 am

Well, I hope the menu hasn't changed much. Still pithy as usual Ax?
Amram
Rider of the Mark

Postby Castanea_d. » Thu May 20, 2004 2:25 pm

(Cassi makes application for the Stupidity Prize of the day.... )

Faramond, thanks! For me, I have to point about a quarter inch below where it says "Edit". I don't get the row of pixels, but I can look at the bottom of the browser screen and wait until it suddenly shows a URL that says something about "edit"

Maybe it is a Netscape thing; I use Netscape version 7.0 on a Plain Old Pentium computer.

Jnyusa, I haven't seen anything strange about your signature either.

I agree about the secret links between pharmaceutical and software companies. It is all part of The Great Conspiracy.

It it obviously Dubya's fault. Or Haliburton's.
Castanea_d.
Rider of the Mark

Postby Jnyusa » Fri May 21, 2004 6:45 pm

Faramond, you will not be surprised to learn that I still have my old Royal manual typewriter ... just in case!! It won't browse the net, but if we're ever reduced to bread and water I won't have to live by bread alone ... at least until the ribbon wears out.

My Mac actually works on this site now more efficiently than the Dell. It's just ... inexplicable. :roll:

Hot chocolate is better than prozac for counteracting the physical response to computer problems. :D

Jn
Jnyusa
Mariner

OO

Postby Faramond » Sat May 22, 2004 10:16 pm

Jnyusa, I learned to type on a manual typewriter. That was about twelve years ago, but even then they had become pretty rare. Except in penurious high school classrooms, I guess.

Question for anyone who can answer:

What does wOOt mean? I've seen a variety of different people say it, in lots of different forums. What is the significance of the unnaturally enlarged o's? What's it all abOOt? Is it just tomfOOlery?
Faramond
Ranger of the North

Postby Castanea_d. » Sun May 23, 2004 6:05 am

Jnyusa, I am in the Royal Manual Typewriter Club as well. Five or six years ago when I was living in another state, I frequented a computer repair/junk store - Larry, the esteemed proprietor, had sold me my First Computer, a Commodore 128. It was a tank, and never had any malfunctions whatsoever. But when the church finally got around to putting Windows computers in our offices, mine was constantly breaking down, and Larry would patch it up. One time, I espied a Royal long carriage typewriter on one of his dusty shelves in the back, and he sold it to me for $5. It is a gem; smooth and elegant, in excellent condition. It must have once been a top of the line typewriter. It still comes in handy occasionally - I use it for filling in forms and addressing envelopes, mostly. Ribbons ARE getting hard to find, though.

It sits on an old typewriter table - little steel contraptions on wheels, with fold-out leafs on each side, and sockets for the typewriter feet so they don't slide around. They don't make office furniture like that anymore!

As for wOOt, (or sometimes spelled with zeros: w00t, or even with smilies: w:):)t), I use the word more than I should, especially as I don't know what it means. I presume that it is a celebratory phrase, and hope that it does not have some embarrassing connotation.

Using words without knowing what they mean is dangerous.
---------
A week or so ago, I was complaining about the Philosophy forum. In watching the recent discussions over there, I have realized that one thing I deeply appreciate about it is its international flavor. Especially with issues such as Iraq, it is very helpful to see how Europeans, Canadians, and many others view the situations.
Castanea_d.
Rider of the Mark

Postby Jnyusa » Sun May 23, 2004 2:06 pm

Faramond - As far as I know, w00t, wOOt, and w:D:Dt are all celebratory phrases. :D

Cassi - metal typewriter tables with folding leaves ... oh man, does that bring back memories of high school. Let's not go there. :P

Jn
Jnyusa
Mariner

Postby Jnyusa » Mon May 24, 2004 7:40 am

Did anyone else see the season finale of The Simpsons last night?

:lol: :lol: :lol: Bwa-ha-ha :lol: :lol: :lol: It fit right in with our conversation!

Monty Burns survived a rock slide that was thought to have killed him, so he was able to listen to his own eulogies and discovered that everyone hated him. To stop everyone from saying bad things about him, he bought up all the media in Springfield . Lisa had a little poetry newsletter and used it to call Burns a monopolist. He coudn't bribe or bully her out of publishing it. But being owner of the nuclear power plant he could shut off the electricity so the Xerox machines wouldn't work and she couldn't make copies.

Principal Skinner dug into the recesses of the school closet and found an old hand-cranked mimeograph machine. That ancient technology saved freedom of the press for Springfield ...

It was too funny.

Jn
Jnyusa
Mariner

Postby Axordil » Tue May 25, 2004 12:24 pm

Amram--I try not to be too pithy. It thcareth away the newbieth.

All--Anyone else get email updates when posts are made on a thread? I'm supposed to get them for this one, for obvious reasons, but nothing came through since about the 21st or so.
Axordil
Mariner

Your ad in this space--only $200!!!

Postby Faramond » Tue May 25, 2004 10:50 pm

I did see the season finale of the Simpsons. I completely missed the connection to manual typewriters. Very interesting.

My favorite part was when the teenager tried to off himself by jumping from the top of the mountain because Futurama had been canceled. (Only because Futurama was my favorite show)
Faramond
Ranger of the North

Postby MariaHobbit » Wed May 26, 2004 6:13 am

If you click the "Watch this topic for replies" thingy at the top right part of the page when you are looking at a thread, you will get an email notification if someone posts to it after you. :)

I'm only a sporadic Simpsons watcher, Jn. I don't watch much TV at all, normally, and what I do watch is usually sci fi. And my interest in TV watching in general has really taken a nosedive since deciding to read the Iliad after watching "Troy".
MariaHobbit
Mariner

Postby Axordil » Wed May 26, 2004 7:22 am

Maria:

Did that. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't, evidently. Not a big deal, I suppose.
Axordil
Mariner

Postby MariaHobbit » Wed May 26, 2004 8:27 am

Hmmm.. I only noticed it yesterday and tried it just to see, and had a single email notice waiting in my inbox this morning.

However, when I finally got around to checking the test thread this morning, there were many replies on it, whereas I'd only received the single email.

I don't know how it is supposed to work.
MariaHobbit
Mariner

Postby Jnyusa » Wed May 26, 2004 6:39 pm

I studiously avoid getting emails from TORC, unless they're helpful sorts of emails, or chatting friends and such.

Faramond, I fear we drove you screaming from Manwe with our seemingly renegade views. :cry:

I will fix you a malt milkshake to calm you down, and reassure you that I have no deadly designs on the first amendment. I just hope no raving religious types have deadly designs on me. :x

Btw, Reps. and Dems. were about equally represented in those lawsuits - just different tactics. I will try to post a synopsis over the weekend when I have more time. Thought it would happen yesterday, but it didn't.

I've definitely moved to the right ... true right, as in narrow interpretation of the constitution ... since being on these boards. I never realized just how confident some people are that they can speak on behalf of God. I can't imagine holding a view like that ... hi, I'm God. :? :?

Maybe it's toxins in the environment or something. Which reminds me ... some sociologists wanted to study the city of El Paso, Texas because it has one of the lowest crime rates in the nation. What they discovered was that the water supply was full of naturally occurring lithium. Low crime rate is not, however, true of the rest of Texas, and I wonder if we should be sampling the water ... say ... on the Bush ranch?

Maria, I wasn't sure what you meant by your comments on that article. Were you alarmed by the information, or alarmed by the alarmist position of the author? I confess I was a little bit of both.

Jn
Jnyusa
Mariner

Postby Castanea_d. » Wed May 26, 2004 7:21 pm

My take on the reply notices: It seems like it will send out one e-mail only if you have posted, and only when there is one additional post after yours (any additional posts do not generate more e-mails). If there is any way to have ongoing notification for activity in a thread, I haven't found it (admittedly, I haven't looked very hard). I used to track quite a few threads where I was lurking and never making any posts at all; I don't see any easy way to do this now, nor to see when someone bumps an old thread that I would still like to follow.

I thought I'd take advantage of the legendary patience of the Diner to experiment with quotes, and see if I make as much of a mess of it as I did with the smilies. So, here goes...

hi, I'm God.

I try not to be too pithy. It thcareth away the newbieth.

Hmmm.... it sort of works. How do people get it to tell the source of the quote?
Castanea_d.
Rider of the Mark

Postby Faramond » Wed May 26, 2004 10:28 pm

Waaiiit a minute now Jn...

I've not been scared away from anywheres. I just typically post midnight-2:00 AM (from the west coast), and my red rant in Manwe was last night, and now it's this night, and I'm preparing a nice calm essay. I think I'll put it in dark blue, as a sort of counterpoint to my previous foolishness in red. As for being scared away, I doubt anyone objectively reading that thread would think that I had cause to be "driven away." And if I was driven away, that's my problem, isn't it? I guess I just had too little lithium. :)

Let me see if I can do this quote thing with the who-said in it--

I may need to edit a few times here to get it right...

God wrote:hi, I'm God

Edited in:

Huzzah! I got it on the first try. Okay, here's what I did:

{quote="God"}hi, I'm God{/quote}

but with the {'s replaced by ['s.
Faramond
Ranger of the North

Postby MariaHobbit » Thu May 27, 2004 6:06 am

Jnyusa wrote:Maria, I wasn't sure what you meant by your comments on that article. Were you alarmed by the information, or alarmed by the alarmist position of the author? I confess I was a little bit of both.

Jn

Alarmed by the information. :(

Castenea wrote:Hmmm.... it sort of works. How do people get it to tell the source of the quote?

You hit the "quoted reply" button when you reply. Then note the format that it uses to ID the quoted person, and if you want to do a second quote by someone else, you copy paste what you want to quote and then type in the formatting code before and after the quote.

At least, that's how I do quotes by multiple people. If there is an easier way, I haven't found it!
MariaHobbit
Mariner

Postby Jnyusa » Fri May 28, 2004 7:44 am

Faramond - :D Considering that so many Hash Housers hang out in Manwe, we should probably spike all of our milkshakes with lithium.

I'll be over there to read your essay a bit later today!

New topic: quotes ... I'm still using my old method of copying and pasting with italics, but until this morning, the new code did not allow me to copy statements from other people's posts. I was typing them out into a word document. But just now I was able to copy the formatting info from Cassi's post ... every day, different functionalities appear and disappear.

Will have to experiment with this some more later.

Jn
Jnyusa
Mariner

PreviousNext

Return to Adoption Attic