New, roomier Rhetorical Hash House and Diner

Adoption threads that have reached the 500 postcount limit are stored here. Note: threads in this Archive forum are Read Only.

Postby Castanea_d. » Sat May 29, 2004 5:57 am

Faramond wrote:I guess I just had too little lithium.

Many thanks to all for the help! I may be slow, but I get by with a little help from my friends.

Hmmm. That would be a good line for a song. ;););););););)
Castanea_d.
Rider of the Mark

Postby Axordil » Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:12 am

Ah, the summer slowdown, when students are away from computers, and everyone remembers suddenly that they had a life... :D

Just got back from a writers' conference in Chicago, where I discovered the joys of coming down with a bug while travelling. Highly recommended, if you're into that sort of thing. :shock:
Axordil
Mariner

Postby Faramond » Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:54 pm

Axordil, I'm really curious: what does one do at a writer's conference?

Besides come down with a bug, I mean.

Do you write? Talk about writing? Listen to other people talk about writing? Fall asleep during boring symposia about semicolons and dashes? Come to your senses and go to a Cubs game instead? ;)
Faramond
Ranger of the North

Postby Axordil » Sat Jun 05, 2004 10:14 am

The common denominator is talking about writing, and selling what one writes. Thus there is usually a mixture of writers of fiction and non-fiction (published and non-), agents, acquisitions editors, and a handful of interested parties (usually selling books on the above topics). The format of talking varies between small seminars (not at this one, alas), large panel sessions (with Q and A) and schmoozing. This one was short and thus somewhat limited in scope, although the attendance was higher than I expected, up in the 400s somewhere.

I was happy that my friend who went with me enjoyed it as much as she did. She's got an interesting non-fiction book idea and wanted to see what she would be getting into first...
Axordil
Mariner

Postby Jnyusa » Sun Jun 13, 2004 1:17 pm

[Jnyusa walks in, switches on the lights, wipes dust from counter and pitches expired food from the fridge into the trash.]

I just received a cool book from the Writer's Union: Freelance Writer's Guide.

It covers everything - finding markets, finding agents, writing contracts, for all different kinds of writing, including fiction.

Haven't had time to read the whole thing but it's well-organized and indexed, so anyone with questions should feel free to ask and I'll look up what the book has to say.

Jn
Jnyusa
Mariner

Dan Quayle

Postby Faramond » Sun Jun 13, 2004 11:34 pm

Hey--I was going to eat that potatoe salad! Don't throw it out!

What's the Writer's Union?
Faramond
Ranger of the North

Postby Jnyusa » Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:30 pm

Potato salad ... is that what that was? :?

Faramond, the National Writers Union is ... a union :) that represents about 15,000 professional writers on a variety of issues such as finding agents, negotiating contracts, marketing and distribution, lobbying, and even court cases that affect us. They serve all categories of writer and I joined on the strength of my academic writing. It is something of an issue at my University, because the U. tries to claim my curricula as their intellectual property. Sometimes this is justified, but not always, and I wanted to have access to legal advice, and to agents, if I needed it.

When I joined, the requirements for entry were not very stringent. For fiction writers, for example, having a novel-length work in progress was sufficient. I guess they are presuming that no one will pay union dues unless they are serious about publishing. There would be no point if one were just writing for fun.

Intellectual property rights are the big deal right now - making sure that writers get paid for their work when the work is transformed to other media. We're a local of the UAW, which gives us some muscle in lobbying and lawsuits, etc.

Jn
Jnyusa
Mariner

Postby Axordil » Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:24 am

I could tell it had been a member of the mayo salad family, but beyond that, your guess was as good as mine.

The UAW, huh? Interesting. Almost as interesting as the fact that the Writers' Union is never mentioned at writers' conferences...which tend to be very cozy with acquisition editors and publishers small and large.

Makes you go hmmm...
Axordil
Mariner

Postby Jnyusa » Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:38 am

Yes, hmmmm.....

The current president happens to be a friend of mine, and I'm going to pass that piece of info along to him.

Jn
Jnyusa
Mariner

Postby Axordil » Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:38 am

There's now a link to the old hash house in the first post of this one, to assist in looking over the old discussions. If for some reason someone wanted to... :)
Axordil
Mariner

Unrelated post.

Postby meneltarma » Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:12 am

I want relationships to be abolished.
NOW

:(
meneltarma
Ranger of the North

Postby Axordil » Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:35 am

Eeek! Family type relationships, friend type relationships, romantic type relationships, or all of the above? You sound like you've just gone through a rough bit...have some coffee, it will, ah, help you focus?
Axordil
Mariner

An Edict

Postby Faramond » Sat Jul 10, 2004 2:40 am

I hereby abolish all relationships.

From this time forward, all people will be required to live in hermetically sealed bubbles so they can't see each other and "relate" in any way.

In addition, everyone's memory will be wiped clean at the local Radio Shack so no one will be able to even think about the thing we once called relationships ever again.
Faramond
Ranger of the North

Postby Jnyusa » Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:49 pm

Well, I see I'm not the only one who got derailed this summer. :P

It was one thing after another. On the downside, some recurring back trouble that would not let me hunch over a computer. On the upside, a two year old grand-daughter who is learning how to swim! I just could not sit in my office this summer on any day when the sun was shining.

But ... not to neglect old friends who will no doubt gather again when school starts up ... and I'm off to the m00bies before someone plans my memorial service.

Good to see you all again!!!

Jn
Jnyusa
Mariner

Postby InnocentEvil » Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:51 am

Moving this to the archive forum as it's been inactive since July. If Axordil, you decide to return to TORC and wish to get it moved back, please feel free to email the admins@tolkienonline.com :)
InnocentEvil
Ringbearer

Previous

Return to Adoption Attic