Bookworms' Gateway to the Lounge and Garden II - All Welcome!

Adoption threads that have reached the 500 postcount limit are stored here. Note: threads in this Archive forum are Read Only.

Postby truehobbit » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:06 am

striderchick wrote:all our exams are 3 hours, so we don't have more than two in a day. though some are lucky and have no days with more than one exam.

:shock: :shock:
salean wrote: Yeah, four exams.... luckily they were only 1 1/2 hours each but still......

:shock: :shock:

At the school where I teach, students are not supposed to have more than three one and a half hours exams a week! And certainly not more than one a day! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Hmmh, I think I should print this out and show it to the students and staff. =:)

I hope they all went well, salean! :)
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby striderchick » Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:41 pm

for our mock exams, they are usually for a week, sometimes starting on a friday, going through to (and including) the next friday, and when you aren't in an exam, you're on study leave. the mock exams are usually set for different lengths of time, and for some of the 3 hour ones you're allowed to leave early (usually depending on the teacher). for our real exams at the end of the year they go for about a month, and they are all 3 hours, but you're able to leave, when you have finished, after the first 45 minutes, and before the last 15 minutes. and not all subjects have end of year exams, so some people are very lucky.

striderchick
striderchick
Ranger of the North

I'm back!

Postby Frodobaggins1986 » Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:09 am

I'm back! I wasn't able to post for awhile, but I'm back now, and glad of it!

And N_M is going to be posting her days in NZ herself.

Exams, eh? Never done one of those yet. (I'm considering the ACT's and SAT's now.) I did get my GED (at age 17!), so that's sort of an exam...
Frodobaggins1986
Shield Bearer

Postby striderchick » Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:08 pm

Frodobaggins1986 hello, nice to see you back. i started doing exams as soon as i entered high school, but the first two years of it didn't really mean much, and they were only short.

striderchick
striderchick
Ranger of the North

Postby Mahima » Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:32 am

Welcome back, frodobaggins. :)

What do you mean you haven't given exams till date? Didn't you have exams in school???
Mahima
Ranger of the North

Postby No_Man » Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:08 pm

Hello, all!!!
Looks like I need to do some catching up. (And not just on TORC I'm afraid :( :bang: )
Hobby, Mexico was GREAT! I really enjoyed my trip - kind of a last chance for fun before spring hits. Spring hits hard for me: three months of smiling non-stop, working 100 hour weeks, and dealing with people asking the same stupid questions over and over and OVER. Oh, joy. I can hardly wait.
On the upside, I've been accepted into two different colleges - both of them state universities. What is annoying is that the one I really want to go to is only offering me $1500 a year in scholarships (with the room, board, and tuition around $13000 a year). The other says I have a one in five chance of getting a complete full ride scholarship. I got a 33 on the ACT, which supposedly places me in the top one percent nationally. (A perfect score is 36.) So why is the one school unwilling to give me more? I'm home schooled. My family has never stopped paying taxes for public education, never gotten a tax break to help pay for our text books, nothing. It is so frustrating!! The reason we home schooled was because the local elementary and high schools had too strong a focus on sports - no focus on education.
Okay, I'll quit ranting now.......*regains composure*........On with..."The Adventures in New Zealand".....

NZ Day 6

The sixth day was marvelously sunny. Dad and I walked through part of the town and along the ocean. During daylit hours, Napier was gorgeous! (LIke I said, I enjoyed Napier, just not that night.) Napier has a beautiful park along the ocean shore. The plants growing there were absolutely stunning - a major plus for us greenhousemen.
We were to spend the night in Masterton, but we decided to take a round-about way of getting there. We traveled southwest to Palmerston and then north to the little town of Bulls. The people of Bulls certainly have a sense of humour, because many of the stores and offices incorporate the word "bull" into their names. The police station is the "const-a-bull", the pub advertises "drink-a-bulls", the restaurant "eat-a-bulls", and the antiquestore offers "collect-a-bulls".
Near Bulls was an enormous wind farm. Massive wind turbines dotted several verdant hills. I tried to count them, but I kept losing my place when I got to a hundred.
We stayed in a luxurios motel on the outskirts of Masterton. Yet another smashing day in New Zealand!
No_Man
Shield Bearer

Postby ~WyrtWif~ » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:50 pm

A warm welcome to bounder and arwen! Arwen - I also lurked for a long time before I joined in. Nice to have fellowship in that regard. :P

Hi to Sirindu, salean, hobby, striderchick, N_M, Mahima, and Frodobaggins, and anyone else I might have missed in all that!

Aigh - I don't even want to think about exams. I would love to add to my education but at the moment my childrens' is taking higher priority. Good luck to those of you who are sticking through it to the end, and kudos to those who have pursued onwards and upwards!

And *sigh* New Zealand sounds lovely.

Now, for a question. I have tried to delete some info off the "my info" page and it won't go away. I tried e-mailing the admins for assistance but I haven't heard back. Any ideas? And can anyone tell me if that information is viewable by others? :| I would really appreciate knowing. Thank you ...!
~WyrtWif~
Shield Bearer

Postby Mahima » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:55 am

Hey Wyrtwif, good to see you here. :)

I cannot see your "My Info" page. Earlier, there used to be a function which would enable others to see your "profile" and email you, but that is not available anymore.

I just tried changing by Info, and was able to!! Did you enter your correct password?
Mahima
Ranger of the North

Postby truehobbit » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:57 am

Hi WyrtWif - no, others can't see your info, unless they log in as you. And I suppose TORC-staff can access it, if necessary (but I don't know that for sure).

I've never had trouble with it, and like Mahima, I just tried and it was ok.
Maybe it's similar to MySettings and you have to be logged in on the front page, too, to change it?
Or maybe you tried to delete some necessary info? You know, sometimes there has to be an entry in a certain field, like your country or so. So you'd have to enter something else rather than delete it?

I'm sorry I can't help more - maybe you could try e-mailing the mods, rather than the admins, there are more of them, so one might be able to help (of the three admins, one is currently without a PC and another not so much into techie-stuff, plus things have been busy on TORC yesterday - so it's just possible no one has been able to answer your mail yet. :) ) - or you could also post your problem in the One Ring Forum.

No Man
- soooo, do you think I can plant the primulas outside already? =:) ;) :P - Just kidding - I suppose that's the kind of question you'll be hearing a thousand times soon! But 100-hour weeks - yikes, much as I love gardening, I don't think I envy you! :hug:

Congrats on being accepted to the colleges! :) And on your grades - WOW! The top one percent? That's brilliant!
Pity though about the grants. Maybe you could talk to the uni you'd prefer to go to and make it clear to them that you'd prefer to go there, but would need a fuller grant?
I don't know much about how these things work in the US, so I can't give any well-founded advice, though.
Why would you prefer the one over the other?
The other seems to make a great offer, but on the other hand it is only one to five that you get it - if you don't, will that mean you'll be left without anything? Sounds risky, if that's the case.

LOL about the bull-y town! :D
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby salean » Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:00 am

I actually did quite well in those exams. Better than I had done in two out of the three I did the previous day.

Hobby- three one and a half hour exams a week!!!!!! Wow... I'd love to come to your school.....

Striderchick- the year above us got study leave but we didn't. But then that's because they're taking these very important exams this year and we're taking them next year. We get study leave in our summer exams though which should be fun! :lol:

Frodobaggins- NO EXAMS??!!!!! How can you not have exams??!!!!!!! I've had exams every year since year 2 (age 7)!!!!!!!!!!! Every year!!!!!! Welcome back.

N_M- *is jealous* I really wish I could go to NZ. *sigh* It sounds brilliant.

Hi Wyrtwif!!!

I've got rid of my braces!!!! :D!!!! Well, only for a week, then I'll have retainers... but still.... :D :D :D

Sal
salean
Ranger of the North

Postby No_Man » Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:20 pm

In case Frodo is continuing to have technical difficulties, I will answer the questions for him to the best of my ability. Frodo is home schooled, same as myself. I know I have never had what I would consider 'exams', but I have had many tests, including some that may have been meant to be exams if they had been taken in a public school. Does this help explain the lack of exams?
Salean, congrats on getting rid of the braces. My sister had to have them and despised them. Also, congrats on your exam results.
Hobby, yes, I'm sure I will be hearing that question many times over before the month is out. This Saturday and the following Saturday we are having an orchid open house. The following Friday, Saturday, and Sunday (the weekend after Valentines Day) we are exhibitting, vending, and (hopefully) SLMing - selling like mad - at a local Lawn and Garden Show. Then the NEXT Saturday we are having a late winter open house. The Sat. after that is probably going to be our semi-annual cake feed. (A party we throw spring and fall where many of my family's friends come over and eat cake.) The following week is the Hosta College that at least my brother usually attends. The following three day weekend is the second Lawn and Garden Show. And then the following Saturday (March 26) is. . . . . . OPENING DAY. . . . .*drumroll of doom*. . . . . . So yes, I will be busy. If I fail to respond to a message, it isn't because I am ignoring you. Things are about to get crazy here.
Concerning colleges, I want to go to the one because it is better known than the other. Plus it is a little bit farther from home. The one offering me the full ride is in the closest big town - about a half hour drive. If I don't get the full ride, I should defifintely get full tuition, which is about half the entire cost. And I have already tried to talk the one school into giving me more money, but to no avail. I'm believing for that full ride though. I'm fairly confident I will get it.
Okay, here is a way of getting a hold of me - where I will be more likely to answer when things get hectic. My e-mail is plantmaster927@hotmail.com. I trust you guys to be considerate. (Please no forwards.) I look forward to hearing from you!
Namarie!
~N_M
No_Man
Shield Bearer

Postby striderchick » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:53 pm

salean i remember getting my braces off, i bet your teeth feel really funny.. mine did.. you'll probably lisp for a a few days with retainers, but it goes away.. i only wear my retainer at night now.. when i remember to put it in..
in the last three years of high school here (NZ), you're considered seniors, you're doing important exams, and you have study leave for mock exams and real exams. so, if you don't have many, or any, end of year exams you can have a long summer holiday..

WyrtWif hello there, nice to see you

striderchick
striderchick
Ranger of the North

Postby Frodobaggins1986 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:27 am

No_Man wrote:In case Frodo is continuing to have technical difficulties, I will answer the questions for him to the best of my ability. Frodo is home schooled, same as myself. I know I have never had what I would consider 'exams', but I have had many tests, including some that may have been meant to be exams if they had been taken in a public school. Does this help explain the lack of exams?

Yes, I was homeschooled (don't ask why, I'm not sure myself). But, as above stated, I took the GED and passed it at age 17. Took it ONCE.

Yay! N_M's finally getting more recent posts than me! However, those 100 hour weeks are going to be killer! And I'm lucky to get 12 work hours in a week. Of course, I work at BK, and N_M works for her family's business. (Which makes four + years of living in a college dorm pretty appealing!

Salean, I need braces![/i]
Frodobaggins1986
Shield Bearer

Postby salean » Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:19 pm

A lot of people on TORC were homeschooled.......well, it seems that way to me because I'm not homeschooled....and I don't know anyone else who was homeschooled.....

Got to go.....

Sal
salean
Ranger of the North

Postby ~WyrtWif~ » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:56 pm

Yippee! I am relieved. If no one can view my info, then it's no biggy. Thank you for your input!

I believe the difficulty in getting the changes to save is in my initial character of my nickname (the tilde ~). The error message I keep seeing is more than a page long, but it does mention unrecognized characters. I believe it is referring to my dreaded tildes.

And aren't tests and exams the same thing? At least, that's how I understand it.
~WyrtWif~
Shield Bearer

Postby striderchick » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:27 pm

WyrtWif exams are tests, but they're like the extra long and hard ones.. i think that makes sense??

first full day of school.. and it actually wasn't too bad!

striderchick
striderchick
Ranger of the North

Postby truehobbit » Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:57 pm

Ah, WyrtWif, that's possible that it's the tilde! :)
After the changover to the new boards there were some people with special signs in their usernames who couldn't even log in anymore.
I'm glad you don't mind it, but I think you should let people know of your problem. For example, MySettings also has your e-mail-address - what if it changes? You need a valid e-mail for TORC.
Have you had no answer from the admin yet?
In that case maybe you should mail mods@tolkienonline.com - your mail will go to all the mods and admins, and if that doesn't help you could try mailing Jonathan directly.

Hehe, salean, I don't know anyone who's homeschooled IRL either - but that's because as far as I know that's not an option here. You are simply not allowed to keep your child out of school.

Yikes, No Man, that's quite a workload - I agree with Frodobaggins, the prospect of college must be wonderful! :D
Thanks for sharing your e-mail-addy - it's good to know how to keep in touch! :)

striderchick - hope the new term has some fun classes and goes well! :)
truehobbit
Mariner

Previous

Return to Adoption Attic