Bookworms' Gateway to the Lounge and Garden II - All Welcome!

Adoption threads that have reached the 500 postcount limit are stored here. Note: threads in this Archive forum are Read Only.

Postby Sirindu » Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:47 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome :)

In what ways are TORC different? For one, like you said, it is much better done ;). But also, the navigation is quite different from most other boards. But I'm getting the hang of it quickly. It's just a little more complex, but that isn't a bad thing.

I don't plan on publishing the novel right now, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility. The one person I've let read it said that I should get it published, but like I said, I don't know.

About the Linguistic Consultant thing... I would be suprised if many video games had those, but we want very badly to represent Tolkien's world perfectly, so in the game there will be some Elvish, Khuzdul, Black Speech, etc. Written and spoken.

My first question would be "why can't I enter 'My Settings'?"

Nice to meet another German by the way :) I have some German roots too.
Sirindu
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Sirindu » Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:59 pm

When I click on My Settings, it says that I need to confirm my login. o_0
Sirindu
Citizen of Imladris

Postby truehobbit » Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:44 pm

Good question about the settings, Sirindu - that's a really odd thing on TORC, people have problems with it all the time.

The first thing is, you have to be logged in on the front page, too, because the messageboard and the Tolkien-online front page are separate (though apparently they somehow work together, too - not quite sure myself how that works).

Still, I sometimes get that message myself, even when I am logged in everywhere. Usually, what happens then, is that I get the message, type in my password again or just hit "ok" (I can't exactly remember which one at the moment), then it takes me back to the messageboard, and when I open "my settings" again, it works.

Do you keep getting the message, even though you try to confirm?

I've also heard that some people have to clear their cache before they could alter their settings.
And some others say that it's a browser-specific problem.

So, I think the best idea would be to try the front-page log-in first (you get there by clicking on the Tolkien-Online logo at the top on the left).
If that doesn't work, and clearing your cache doesn't help either, you could post your problem here: http://forums.tolkienonline.com/viewtopic.php?t=85158
As you can see from that thread, sometimes there are odd things happening to the features of the website.

Hope that helped :)

I didn't realize TORC was more complicated than other sites - hehe, maybe it's to keep the spammers out! =:) ;)

Where in Germany are your roots? (Sorry if I'm being nosy! :) )

salean - thanks for the compliments in return! :D

Mmmmmh, mince pies! Glad to hear you had a happy time with your sisters making them - I'm sure it makes them taste even better! :)
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby Sirindu » Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:23 pm

Well I'm signed in both on the MSG board and the front page, but it still won't work. Hmm. Should I just sign in on the front page and leave myself signed out of the msg board? That would make no logical sense, but then again computers are not all logical. ;)

And I'm not actually sure what part of Germany, lol.
Sirindu
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Sirindu » Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:27 pm

Bah, that didn't work either. But I didn't really expect it to. How do I clean my cache now?
Sirindu
Citizen of Imladris

Postby striderchick » Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:38 pm

Sirindu hello, welcome to bookworms

Christmas Eve.. and after spending part of the afternoon cleaning i'm a little tired.. and the cats aren't too happy with the vacuum cleaner.. i'm sure one poked his tounge out at it... strange

Merry Christmas

striderchick
striderchick
Ranger of the North

Postby truehobbit » Fri Dec 24, 2004 6:51 am

Your cache is the file where all the cookies are stored - on my windows98 system, using IE, it says "Temporary Internet Files".
At the moment I'm at a windowsXP system though, and it's all very different here, quite confusing. And I know even less what it's like with other browsers (I've heard that it differs from browser to browser).

So I'm afraid, I can't help you at the moment - I'd need to do some research, but it's Christmas Eve - got to do some cooking! :D

I'll tell some people here about your problem who know more about this stuff than I do, but I doubt there'll be an answer immediately, as everybody probably is away for Christmas.
You might have to keep the blue wizard till after Christmas - I'm sorry about that, I can only ask your patience! :)

Merry Christmas to all the bookworms - I hope you are having a wonderful time! :)
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby Jude » Fri Dec 24, 2004 7:13 am

Hi Sirindu! To clean your cache, if you're using Mozilla Firefox, go to Tools -> Options, then click on the second graphic down from the top on the left side (the one that says "privacy". Then you'll see a new list on the right, and the bottom item says "Cache", and has a button beside it that says "Clear". You know what to do.

By the way, I used to get that "Confirm your login" message occasionally as well. Just log in again, and when you've done so, click once again on "My Settings". Usually it worked for me the second or third time.

So you're learning Hebrew? Gam 'ani m'daber ivrit!
(I know, it looks better with the Hebrew alphabet, but I don't know how to do that on the computer) :D
Jude
Rider of the Mark

Postby truehobbit » Fri Dec 24, 2004 7:54 am

Wow, that was prompt, Jude! :)

Yes, for me it usually works the second or third try. But sometimes it doesn't work at all, like for the people in the thread I linked to. Very mysterious.

What are you doing online anyway? It's Christmas!

Oh - wait a minute - what am I doing online? ;) :D
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby Jude » Fri Dec 24, 2004 8:09 am

Actually, tomorrow's Christmas.

Today's Christmas Eve, and I'm working until noon. :D
Jude
Rider of the Mark

Postby truehobbit » Fri Dec 24, 2004 8:23 am

In Germany, all the important stuff happens on Christmas Eve! :D

Really got to go now - have a good time - that goes for all! :)
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby Mahima » Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:47 am

Merry X'mas everyone.

And a VERY big welcome to our new adoptee, Sirindu
Mahima
Ranger of the North

Postby wilko185 » Fri Dec 24, 2004 4:20 pm

Festive greetings to everyone! (Hi to Sirundu :) .. if you're still really stuck on your Settings problem, try emailing mods@tolkienonline.com ).

Sorry I've not been around much. My computer's frail hard-drive willing, I'll get round to updating the opening posts next year (early next year, even :D).
wilko185
Mariner

Postby Sirindu » Fri Dec 24, 2004 8:21 pm

Thanks guys. Truehobbit, it's ok if I can't change my alliance until later.

And uh, Jude, you said to log out, but did you mean of the msg board or the main site?
Sirindu
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Jude » Mon Dec 27, 2004 5:52 am

Sirindu wrote:And uh, Jude, you said to log out, but did you mean of the msg board or the main site?

I said that? :? (looks at his post again)

Maybe you misunderstood, when I said "Log in again". When you get the "Confirm your login" message, you should also see a login form where you input your username and password. Just fill in and submit the form again, you don't actually have to log out to do it.

Let us know what happens.
Jude
Rider of the Mark

Postby ~WyrtWif~ » Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:56 am

Belated Christmas greetings to you all! I apologize for not having come by since... June! :oops: I am off work for two weeks while the kiddos are on Christmas break, so I am afraid I will soon go back to my long-absent status. But I wanted to come by and visit and say hello and that I still enjoy browsing the forums here when I have the chance.

I hope you are having a wonderful holiday season.

Sirindu - I am having the same problem when I click on My Info or Settings, but I can bypass that page by simply clicking on the link that says "become a member." It takes me directly into the settings page.

Hi Wilko and truehobbit and all the others who welcomed me so warmly way back when! Now what do I need to do to get my "intro summary" on the adoptees list underneath my name there on the front page? :D
~WyrtWif~
Shield Bearer

My answer...

Postby Frodobaggins1986 » Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:30 am

No, N_M is in Mexico with a friend of her family. My own family spent a hectic Christmas together. Even worse than 99 cent Whoppers at Burger King...

Happy New Year to all!
Frodobaggins1986
Shield Bearer

Postby truehobbit » Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:55 pm

WyrtWif, I hope you had a good Christmas, too, and wish you all the best for a happy new year! :)
It's good to see you are still on TORC - would be lovely to see you more regularly, of course, but I understand the time constraints. :)

Now what do I need to do to get my "intro summary" on the adoptees list underneath my name there on the front page?

Have you posted a summary? Sorry, if you have and it's been overlooked! So, if you have posted one, please just say so, we'll go looking for it, and if you haven't, please do so! wilko is in charge of the first post, and hasn't been able to be here much to update the lists. But as has been said, we are due for a re-start, so your intro summary will be included in the new thread - and if he forgets, I'll keep nagging until it's done... =:)

Frodobaggins, too bad about your messed up Christmas - what exactly happened? :shock:

And from the "My Settings"-front: I found I had got logged out of the main page today, because I got the "become a premiere member" message when trying to open "my buddies". So I thought I'd take the opportunity to see what happens in "my settings". I got the "confirm your password" message, typed my password into the box, and was logged in again alright, no problems.
So, Sirindu, if the problems persist, maybe you should contact the mods, as wilko advised. It might be a problem with your e-mail address or something completely different, and they might be able to help. :)
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby striderchick » Mon Dec 27, 2004 5:45 pm

well.. my family christmas was not as bad as it has been some years, and was actually really good..

well..

happy new years for next week

striderchick
striderchick
Ranger of the North

Postby Sirindu » Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:03 pm

Jude, yes I did misunderstand you because when I click on the "confirm your login" I do NOT get a Login page, LOL! This always confused me greatly.

But (cheers) I tried the stratagy that Wyrt is using, and THAT works. :) Very odd, but it does work. Thanks for the help Wyrt!
Sirindu
Citizen of Imladris

Postby ~WyrtWif~ » Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:39 am

Glad to be of help, Sirindu!

Here is a condensed gathering of my introductory posts from the welcome page and other places around the boards:

I first read LOTR when I was about 14, and in fact it belonged to my oldest sister. When she saw how much I loved it and that I read it over and over, she told me to keep it. When I first heard the rumors of the films in production, I stumbled across this forum, bookmarked it, but did not join. The anticipation of those years lead me to re-read LOTR once again, and also to explore a few of dear Tolkien's other works, including the Silmarillion, which I enjoyed immensely. I finally found myself reading here again, especially regarding the books themselves, and found myself so engrossed I decided it was about time I should join.

I made up the name WyrtWif from the Old English words for "Root" and "Wife." You can call me "Rooty" or WW, or I've even been called "Wyrty." Whatever suits your fancy is fine with me.

...... there's the condensed version .... :P Better?
Last edited by ~WyrtWif~ on Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
~WyrtWif~
Shield Bearer

Postby truehobbit » Tue Dec 28, 2004 4:32 pm

Sirindu , good to see you finally could access your settings! :) Weird that you never got a box to enter you password when you got the "confirm"-message, though.
So, Beren is your favourite?

WyrtWif, wow, thanks for collecting those posts! :) It must have taken some time to find them, when it should have been our job - I'm really sorry your intro post was overlooked! :oops: (Maybe wilko just wasn't sure if or how much of it you wanted to have on the front page. :) )
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby striderchick » Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:19 pm

WyrtWif i always wondered where your name came from, so, thanks for that :)

i went out with my family the other day, and got The Iliad and The Odyssey.. i haven't started reading them yet though..

striderchick
striderchick
Ranger of the North

Postby striderchick » Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:28 pm

i'm in a strange mood... so i have a message for people..

i don't know if i have an official adopter, but if i may, i'll claim Wilko, since he brought me here to meet all you wonderful people that i've grown attatched too.. and you've all sorta looked after me.. unless i'm imagening things in my memory..

so thank you! you're all awesome!

striderchick
striderchick
Ranger of the North

Postby Sirindu » Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:59 pm

Well I'm back after an extended run of holiday family get-togethers.

How was everyone's New Year?

Oh and, I was wondering why I haven't been included in the Adoptees list on the front page. I just wondered if I needed to give a little post about myself or something, but I thought you could use the one that I made when I first introduced myself here.
Sirindu
Citizen of Imladris

Postby striderchick » Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:51 pm

Sirindu, as far as i can understand it, the front page hasn't been updated in a while.. and i think we're due for a new thread with the post count.. so when Wilko's ready you will be added.. and probably Wilko will use the one you've already posted

hope that helped

striderchick
striderchick
Ranger of the North

Postby CaMinx » Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:16 pm

Hi All! Have not been on in an age! Going to have to look around to get back into the swing of things...
CaMinx
Rider of the Mark

Postby striderchick » Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:28 pm

CaMinx welcome back then! and i always wanted to say, i love the "i purrr, therefore i am" in your sig ^-^

striderchick
striderchick
Ranger of the North

Postby Sirindu » Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:58 am

Aye, and thanks striderchick, I didn't know how often that page was updated.
Sirindu
Citizen of Imladris

Postby striderchick » Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:41 pm

nice to know i can be helpful on occasions :P
striderchick
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to Adoption Attic