Bookworms' Gateway to the Lounge and Garden II - All Welcome!

Adoption threads that have reached the 500 postcount limit are stored here. Note: threads in this Archive forum are Read Only.

Postby truehobbit » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:34 pm

WyrtWif, thanks for the condensed version, we'll post that! :)

Sirindu, yes, you'll be included when wilko gets round to updated the first post, in this case that means to start a new thread. :)

striderchick, hmmh, I'd say when you are adopted by a group that means you are, well, adopted by a group. :P
But if you want to lay claim to wilko - good luck! :P ;)

But thanks for the thanks - you are very welcome! :) :grouphug:

Cam! :D So good to see you! Didn't think you were still around! How are you?

Happy New Year to all! :grouphug: :)
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby striderchick » Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:18 pm

truehobbit yeah, ok, you're all my adopters.. and you're all awesome!! i just felt like claiming Wilko for some reason.. sometimes i do odd things like that..
and you're welcome too - you deserve it, you all do hehe

striderchick
striderchick
Ranger of the North

Hello All!

Postby Bounder » Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:05 pm

Hello,

I'm new to the boards here and I thought I would drop in here and introduce myself.

My name is Mike and I grew up in the frozen tundra of Minnesota USA. I have been a Tolkien fan for about 14 years (Half my life) and among the my family and friends I'm known as the LotR expert. After reading these forums I understand that all that I know is just a scratch on the surface of Tolkiens writings. I like playing RPGs (video games & Table top), football, models & minis, reading Scifi & Fantasy and watching movies. I have degrees in Medical Tech, Electonics Tech, and Bio Med. If I had a specialty to do with LotR I would have to say it would be in games as I Have played most of the Video,board, card, and Minis games made for LotR. I have read through LotR & the Hobbit 3 times and starting on the more historical books now. The Games Workshop minis game has been chewing up alot of my time lately. Anyway this seemed like the right forum fro me so ......Hello!
Bounder
Petitioner to the Council

Postby truehobbit » Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:21 pm

Hello and welcome to TORC and to the bookworms, Bounder! :)
Or would you prefer to be called Mike, as that's how you introduced yourself?

Thanks for telling us a bit about yourself - if you're ok with it, we'll include that info in the opening post, when wilko does the next update.

That's quite a fascinating set of accomplishments you have! :)

It's great that you are interested in expanding your knowledge and understanding of Tolkien - I dare say you've found the right place for that in TORC! :D

If you have any questions on how this place works, don't hesitate to ask, that's what we're here for! :)

We also have a good games section, as that's your special interest. I don't know the first thing about video games, so the games fora are the places I know least on TORC, though.

I look forward to seeing you on the boards! :)

(striderchick, thanks :hug: - and I can understand the choice ;) :D )
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby striderchick » Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:12 pm

welcome to TORC and bookworms, Bounder/Mike
i hope you enjoy it here.. everyones really friendly, and great at answering any questions.

- and I can understand the choice :wink: :D

wondersss what is meant..... lol

striderchick
striderchick
Ranger of the North

Postby truehobbit » Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:30 pm

Just that he's got an awful lot of charm on the boards, don't you think? ;) Once he does get round to posting at all, that is. :roll:

But seriously, it's just a very friendly and reassuring style - one of the things that made me feel homey on TORC right away when I was a newbie. :)
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby Sirindu » Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:54 pm

Hey, Bounders! Welcome. I'm quite the TORC newbie myself, just been here for a few weeks I guess.

If you like LOTR video games, you might be quite interested to know about The Last Alliance, which is a game I am actually on the design team for. :) It takes place over all three ages of the Sun (covering all that History you reffered to, as well as the events of the Hobbit and LOTR). It's will be a very long game to be sure.

It's an RTS btw, don't know if you care for those, but a PURITIST'S Middle Earth RTS has consumed the minds of about 600 people (our fan base, still growing :))

As you may have realized by now, the game is still in the "game design" progress, but we hope to be done with that by this Summer and then will begin the physical making of the game.

Here's a link to the site if you want to check it out, and there's a forum that you can join if you want too- www.wildfiregames.com/tla
Sirindu
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Bounder » Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:18 am

Thanks for the the warm welcome. It is OK to refer to me as either Mike or Bounder, whatever you like. Also to feel free to use my previous post in the opening post of this thread. There is certainly a huge amount of info all over the boards and many good stories written by fans.

Sirindu~ I just checked out the website and it sounds very impressive. I will have to check it out more.
Bounder

Postby salean » Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:34 pm

Hello hello hello hello hello hello hello hello hello hello hello hello
*takes a deep breath*

Did ya all miss me????????????

Well, seeing as I didn't tell you I was actually going anywhere.......
I went to Wales
Twas sooooooo good

HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO to all the new people around!!!!!!!!!!! I'm not crazy really.... I'm just slightly hyper at the momennnt.
I would love to say hello to you all individually but I haven't got the time really....

So what is going on in the world of the Bookworm's gateway???? Did I miss much???????????????????????????????????

Sal
salean
Ranger of the North

Postby Sirindu » Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:48 pm

Hello :) Welcome back, I wasn't here befor you left.. but welcome back :)
Sirindu
Citizen of Imladris

Postby salean » Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:08 am

Well, I was only gone for about a week..... and we suddenly get a whole load of new people..... maybe I should go on holiday more :wink: .

Anyway, hello Sirindu!! Having fun??

Sal
salean
Ranger of the North

Postby Sirindu » Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:29 pm

Yeah, it's nice here. I don't get to visit as often as I would like, but it's good.
Sirindu
Citizen of Imladris

Postby arwen_of_imladris » Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:55 am

Hi, just thought that I'd pop in and say hello to you all! I've been lurking here at TORC (mainly Books - Tolkien) for about 2 years and only had the courage to post once before!! :cry2:

I've been a fan of the Hobbit since the age of 8 but I only started reading LOtR books and other works after FOtR was released in the cinema. My appetite for JRRT's work is insatiable right now and have started to read HoME (Hubby bought part 1 for me when he finally got the hint after 2 years of my mooning over it in Borders!) I live in the UK with my husband and 3 year old son.

I'm a huuuge bookworm too, so I thought that I would feel right at home here.

Happy New Year!
arwen_of_imladris

Postby truehobbit » Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:21 am

Hello and welcome to the bookworms, arwen of imladris! :)

Nice to meet you, and a Happy New Year to you, too! Is it ok to say just "arwen" or do you have a preferred abbreviation for your name?
I do hope that you keep feeling encouraged to post here, now that you've made another start! If there are any problems, not just with the technicalities of the boards, but also, for example, a situation in a thread that you find difficult or confusing, don't hesitate to ask, that's what adopters are here to help with! :)

There are a lot of UK posters on TORC, and many of them meet up in real life, too, so if you find that people here are so interesting that you might want to meet them in reality, too, check out the "Events" forum, where these meet-ups (called "moots" ;) ) are discussed.

Great that you are now so completely hooked on Tolkien! :D
Congrats on starting on HoME - I haven't got round to that yet, I must admit, but some other bookworms are quite familiar with it.
Hehe, at least your hubby did get the hint eventually! :D
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby arwen_of_imladris » Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:55 am

Thanks for such a warm welcome truehobbit, nice to meet you too! It has certainly encouraged me to think about posting more! I may even be tempted to post in Books, if I have anything worthwhile to add! :lol:

I'll definitely be checking out the events forum, the moots sound really interesting!

HoME is excellent so far but I think I'll have to re-read a few times to get a clearer picture of the story. I think hubby will have to hold off a year or two before buying me the second instalment!!

BTW "arwen" is fine. Do you have an abbreviation?
arwen_of_imladris

Postby truehobbit » Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:49 pm

You can call me Hobby, if you like! :)
(Yes, I know it's a bit silly, but it's my favourite among the many ways my name gets abbreviated. I think it looks/sounds cheerful and good-humoured, so I can identify with it. :) )

I look forward to seeing your posts - please don't worry too much about saying something "worthwhile"! Most of the time our self-doubts about having something to contribute are quite unnecessary.
It's good to read more than you post, of course, but a thought that you might think unimportant might be an insight to someone else!
Books is a forum where many people know a lot of things, so I usually take good care that I get my facts right (although the occasional slip is no big deal :) ), but another view, another way of presenting a problem etc is always welcome.

I think if I wanted to read HoME, I'd have to re-read the Sil and UT first, because I have trouble remembering all the names and events. Apart from LOTR, my favourite Tolkien works are his shorter, non-ME stories, such as "Roverandom" or "Leaf by Niggle".
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby striderchick » Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:27 pm

truehobbit haha.. i understood, i just felt like playing lol
salean welcome back. i've been to Wales.. only it was YEARS ago, and i have little if any memory of it..
arwen hello, and welcome!

i got exam results back today.. not really happy with them

striderchick
striderchick
Ranger of the North

Postby No_Man » Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:52 am

Hello!!!! Long time, no post (for me, that is)! I've been lurking and watching, waiting for my opportunity to post. (Btw, this is the REAL N_M writing.)
I've been to Mexico, as my friend has informed you guys. It was good, but I'm glad to be back.
Hobby, I love that picture of the hellebore. Can't say it is one of my favourite plants, but it is a good one. It is nice to see flowers at this point in the year. (Though our daffodils are a bit confused right now due to the bizzare weather and are already showing several inches of growth.
Arwen, Sirindu, Bounder, and everyone else I'm forgetting, here's a BIG WELCOME for you.
Namarie!
~N_M

Oh yeah, before I go, the "Adventures in New Zealand" will be continuing soon.
No_Man
Shield Bearer

Postby salean » Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:43 pm

Hey everyone!!!!
I'm not meant to be on here but I thought I'd sneak on......

Welcome back N_M!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We missed you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You remember that sonnets essay I was writing last term? Well, now I have to redraft it. However, I'm apparantly averaging an A+ and my teacher wants me to now aim for an A*.

striderchick I hate exams. I have some mock exams coming up in.......... *does calculations* ......... NEXT WEEK!!!!!!!!!!
:shock:
Hec, I'd better start revising........

Arwen_of_imladris- Welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah, as Hobby said, it's good to post your thoughts but it's also good to read other peoples posts and stuff. As a matter of fact I haven't ever actually posted in Books. I lurk around there very often, but everyone there has such detailed arguements and everyone knows so much that I'm a little afraid of saying something wrong or saying something at the wrong moment or just getting plain confused. I know I should really post there but there you go.

I just worked out what HoME stood for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm proud of myself.

EDIT- Arwen, I'm from the UK as well!!!!!!!!!! Is it really windy near you at the moment? Cos it is here..........

Sal
salean
Ranger of the North

Postby striderchick » Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:45 pm

i have a friend in the UK who has some mock exams coming up... or maybe they've already been..
the results weren't all bad.. i only passed a few papers, but thanks to internal assessments i've passed the whole yeaer thing.. yay..

you can move the dust, but please don't write in it

striderchick

Edit: i'm a doofus sometimes, how could i have forgotten? Good luck for the exams salean
striderchick
Ranger of the North

Postby salean » Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:30 am

Thanks Striderchick, the exams are only for teacher assessment but I really need to revise for them because I haven't been doing as well this term as I have been before in previous terms and everyone expects me to sttill be top of the class and everything so I need to put a lot of owrk into the exams.

Aaahhhh, so moany typos in one sentence, and I can't be bothered to change them!!!!!!!!!!

Aaaaanyway. Glad you passed.

Sal
salean
Ranger of the North

Postby striderchick » Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:20 pm

salean good luck, and i hope the revision doesn't drive you crazy..
the few papers i passed were in math.. a subject that i happened to pay more attention to my friends than the teacher.. bad habbit, but i paid attention when i absolutley had to.
typos.. most of the time i don't notice my typos until everyones already read my post..

thanks

striderchick
striderchick
Ranger of the North

Postby Mahima » Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:37 am

A big welcome to Bounder and arwen. :)

Hope you have a great time on the boards!
Mahima
Ranger of the North

Postby truehobbit » Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:42 am

Ahhh, the real No Man! Hello, good to see you! :)

How was Mexico?

Thanks for the compliment on my sig - actually it's a bit silly of me to say "one of my favourites", when I love almost all flowers so much. I think what I meant is that I'm just totally thrilled by the fact that they blossom at such a rough time and nevertheless look all pure and dainty and as if they belonged to spring. :)

Congrats on passing the exams, striderchick!:)
salean, I hope yours went well! :)

Sorry for my long absence, btw!

Hmmh, wonder if we've lost arwen again - and bounder, too!
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby striderchick » Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:03 pm

hey truehobbit, nice to see you. thank you for the congrats :D

striderchick
striderchick
Ranger of the North

Postby salean » Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:01 pm

It's so unfair!!!!!! I had FOUR exams today and most people only had 2 or 3...........

Yeah, my brain gave up on me today...... luckily only during the last half of my last exam of the day........ but still......

Now I just have a weekend of music only revision cos I've done all my other subjects........

Anyway, I've got to go and tell my mum that I forgot to give a form in......

*wince*

Sal
salean
Ranger of the North

Postby striderchick » Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:25 pm

oh, Salean, what a nightmere. Four exams in a day? how long are the exams? all our exams are 3 hours, so we don't have more than two in a day. though some are lucky and have no days with more than one exam.

good luck for music

striderchick
striderchick
Ranger of the North

Postby Mahima » Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:31 am

I hope you get through all your exams, Salean, I can't imagine giving four a day. One a day is enough to exhaust me. I often wonder if all that tension is worth it? :P

Sirindu, bounder and arwen seem to have disappeared?
Yoooo-hooooo!!!
Mahima
Ranger of the North

Postby striderchick » Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:33 pm

i second that "Yoooo-hooooo!!!"

striderchick
striderchick
Ranger of the North

Postby salean » Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:18 am

I...um....third it!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, four exams.... luckily they were only 1 1/2 hours each but still......

YOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
WHERE ARE YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUU?????

Sal
salean
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to Adoption Attic