Bookworms' Gateway to the Lounge and Garden II - All Welcome!

Adoption threads that have reached the 500 postcount limit are stored here. Note: threads in this Archive forum are Read Only.

Postby Jude » Mon May 10, 2004 1:35 pm

Question for the adopters: what's a moot?
Jude
Rider of the Mark

Postby truehobbit » Mon May 10, 2004 2:57 pm

Oh, that's something you really need to know - by first-hand experience best, if possible, Jude! :)

Tolkien wrote:Now we will have a drink, and go to Entmoot. ...
'It is not a place, it is a gathering of Ents –

:D

Technically, a moot simply is a meeting (I think it's an Old English word, the noun for "to meet" that Tolkien dug up). There are also Shire-moots in LOTR.

Derived from that usage, a moot is a gathering of TORCers, preferably lasting several days, to get to know each other in real life. :)

In contrast to the Entmoot, though, you go to the moot first and then start having the drinks. ;)

If you've never been to one, and have any curiosity to meet the other geeks, check the events-thread - there's likely to be a moot planned not too far away from you somewhere! :D

I've been to five moots so far, they were all wonderful, yet all very different from each other, and, the same as most of the mooters I know, I have to say I've never yet met a TORCer I didn't like. :D

For an idea of what a moot is like see for example:

The Amsterdam moot report thread

(I'd give you the links to some more moot report threads, but the search function isn't working properly yet, and I don't have them bookmarked. I'll add them if I find them, though.)

Eltirwen, it's great that you found the lounge - hope to see you there more often! :)
truehobbit
Mariner

a mooting!

Postby CaMinx » Fri May 14, 2004 10:32 am

Hobby ~ you are the purrrfect person to answer this question! How many moots have you been on?

Welcome Jude!
CaMinx
Rider of the Mark

Postby celebalqua » Sat May 15, 2004 6:09 pm

Hello dear friends, I haven't been here in a while. Hope I find you all well.

Query: Is any one else experiencing difficulty submitting a new sigpic since the change?

I don't seem to be able to change mine. I submit the new one, I have even deleted the old one first, but when I get to the end of the process, there if my old sigpic sitting there waiting for apporval! I have double checked the files from my end and that is not the problem. Is this just me or has anyone else found this?

Cel
celebalqua
Rider of the Mark

Postby Eltirwen » Sat May 15, 2004 7:18 pm

I just changed mine today. Have you tried deleting your stored Internet files on Internet Options? Assuming you have a PC - if you have a Mac, I have not a clue. Mine didn't show until I did that.

By the way, anyone know how to put a link in a signature?

Also, I'm starting to submit a fanfic! Please read it and let me know what you think!
Eltirwen
Rider of the Mark

Postby truehobbit » Sat May 15, 2004 11:02 pm

Cel, that's not a problem.
When I change my sig, the old one always remains visible with the comment "This pic is waiting for approval". I don't know why this is, or if everybody is experiencing it or just some people (I've heard about this from others, too), but it has nothing to do with the new messageboard, it just seems to be an oddity with "my settings".

Your new pic is submitted nevertheless, and will appear when you get the notification e-mail.
At the moment, there's no pic in your signature.

Eltirwen, you put links in your sig the same way as in a post (ok, the same way as before we had the automatic tags in the reply window. ;) )
Just type [ url ]adress of your site [ /url ] or [url= address of your site ] name for your site [ /url ] (without the spaces!).

Hope that helped!
:)

Btw - love your ad for the lounge, Eltirwen! :D
(And who's the hobbit-lass in your sig?)
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby prettygaladriel » Sat May 15, 2004 11:37 pm

Hey everyone! sorry i haven't been around lately...i promise to try harder this time :wink:

Jude, to answer your earlier question about whether i found the Pratchett books ruined for me cause i read them out of order...well, i's say not really. Since they're not exactly in an order, because they're not like normal series and have different main characters, there wasn't really much to ruin. The most i can say is that i got a bit confused about some things, but when i read earlier books i realised what those things meant. I still don't regret reading them out of roder, though :D

Eltirwen, hello and wlecome, darl. I like the hobbit-lass in your pic, y'know...she's cute :wink: I'll check out your fanfic...can you give me a link to it? or just it's name...is it in the reading room? :)

Celeb, I did hve a problem with submitting a sig pic, but that was only cause it was too big :D :D Hobby explained your problem pretty well.

Hobby, i wanna know the answer to Camix's question too...how many moots have you been to? :wink:
prettygaladriel
Mariner

Postby celebalqua » Sun May 16, 2004 4:15 am

Thanks Hobby, I did just that and got my confirmation but the picture after that was still the same!
I am trying Eltirwen suggestion right now.

Cheers
Cel
celebalqua
Rider of the Mark

Postby truehobbit » Sun May 16, 2004 5:17 am

Cel, I don't really understand, I think - you said
got my confirmation but the picture after that was still the same!

That's what I meant - you get the message "you will be notified" or something like that, but in "my settings" it still shows your old sig as "Waiting for approval". Is that not what you meant?

It's possible that there's a way this can be removed, but as it's what I always see, but my new sig always gets through to the admins in contrast of what I see in "my settings", I've never bothered about it.

PG, or anybody else, maybe you could tell us what you see in "my settings" when you change your pic? Just for comparison.

EDIT: Cel, I don't see your title in red anymore - maybe something is wrong with your PM? Could be the reason your new pic isn't appearing!

PG, CaM - advice no 1 to newbies: always read previous posts carefully! :P
truehobbit wrote:I've been to five moots so far
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby Eltirwen » Sun May 16, 2004 1:22 pm

Hobby - The hobbit lass in my sig is actually the one dancing with Elijah when he does the funky chicken. I just picked it cause she looks a lot like me. And I love her dress. Thanks for the tip! When my fic is up, I'll put a link to it in my sig.

PG - My fic is not in the reading room yet - I submitted it yesterday. WHenever it gets in there, its title is Shadows and Loneliness. Sounds depressing, but not really.
Eltirwen
Rider of the Mark

Postby celebalqua » Mon May 17, 2004 2:42 am

truehobbit wrote:Cel, I don't really understand, I think - you said
got my confirmation but the picture after that was still the same!

That's what I meant - you get the message "you will be notified" or something like that, but in "my settings" it still shows your old sig as "Waiting for approval". Is that not what you meant?

Sorry Hobby, I meant approval rather than confirmation. I got an email saying my new sigpic had been approved but the one appearing on posts was still my old one. However having removed my old sigpic for a couple of days the new one seems to have uploaded, just waiting on apporval again!

Cel
celebalqua
Rider of the Mark

Postby wilko185 » Mon May 17, 2004 3:47 am

celebalqua, I haven't changed my sigpic in ages, I don't know if there's new problems with the process now. But it's always been the case that it's possible for you to be seeing the old version of the pic, but everyone else is seeing the new replacement. This is because the old version is still stored in your temporary internet files, and it will have the same filename as the new one. However, if you've deleted your temporary files this can't happen.

I was skimming through the board and I think I saw your sigpic when it was up yesterday. It wasn't the swan one you used to have (unless I'm thinking of someone else, which is very possible...).

BTW, I've seen a few people's PM titles have gone black, like yours, soince the new board came in. Including some mods. So you're not alone in having that glitch.
wilko185
Mariner

Postby celebalqua » Mon May 17, 2004 4:38 pm

Thanks Wilko and everyone for your advice all is well :P
celebalqua
Rider of the Mark

ahem... Hello..!

Postby ~WyrtWif~ » Wed May 19, 2004 9:04 pm

Hello, I'm new around here. I tried joining earlier today but I think I must have entered my email wrong or something because I never got my "confirmation" email, so I've made a 2nd nickname and have just tried again. I'm hoping it will work this time - I would really like to change my settings and such! :)

I posted a little intro over in the Tolkien Study Group after I read and read and read and read the instructions that mentioned if I was going to lurk I should say so. :oops: So I did but it's the same nic without the tilde symbols around it. :oops:

I have been in a few other online groups, and I've read a little here, but not much yet. This format is extremely different from what I am used to (MSN groups), so I'm hoping to not make any huge blunders of etiquette here. :wink:

Looking forward to getting to know some fellow bookworms, esp. Tolkies. :D

.... ah yes, checked my email and I rcvd the confirmation this time. I must've made a typo in my 1st application. :oops: I'm glad it's working now!
~WyrtWif~
Shield Bearer

Postby BaronAlstine » Thu May 20, 2004 2:13 am

hello all,
i know i havent posted in awhile (study sucks) but i was wondering what the news on the hobbit movie is?
thanks
-alstine
BaronAlstine
Citizen of Imladris

Postby wilko185 » Thu May 20, 2004 3:34 am

WyrtWif, welcome, glad you finally made it :). This type of board is the only format I'm really used to, but I think the standards of netiquette are usually similar everywhere. You're doing well so far, anyway :)

Baron, I've not been in Movies all that much lately, but as far as I know, there's no news on The Hobbit. They (New Line, McKellen, probably PJ) want to do it, but not for a while yet. I've not followed the legal wrangling over the rights, but last I heard it wasn't going to be an insurmountable problem.
Anyone else know better?
wilko185
Mariner

Thank you

Postby ~WyrtWif~ » Thu May 20, 2004 5:28 am

Thank you for the welcome Wilko! Now I think I'll be doing some more reading later today. :)
~WyrtWif~
Shield Bearer

hello . .

Postby LaBelleAuReveDormant » Thu May 20, 2004 11:39 am

Hi . .
I've just joined, and I hope I'm doing this right . .well, anyway, if I'm not, could someone please tell me what to do?
Well, to introduce myself a bit:I saw this thread in the adoption bit and I clicked on it because I really, really love books, as well as Tolkien, of course.
Regards
<;""La Belle
LaBelleAuReveDormant
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Mahima » Thu May 20, 2004 10:40 pm

Mahima peeks over the door

Hi Everyone... I've been away for sooo long, that I have not even visited our new incarnation! A BIG HELLO to all our Adoptees (yes, am an adopter, just a missing one for the past 3 odd months) and HUGS to all the Adopters. Its good to be back. :)

Hi ~WyrtWif~! I just welcomed you in the VTSG, NICE to see you our Adoptee. :D

Welcome to TORC and The Bookworms.... LaBelleAuReveDormant! Wow, Thats a loooong name. I bet it will very-very soon be shortened to LaBelle or something similar. :) Be prepared for that. Why don't you tell us a little about yourself? When did you discover Tolkien? What else do you read, watch, work, play, sing... anything??? :)
Mahima
Ranger of the North

Postby LaBelleAuReveDormant » Fri May 21, 2004 5:26 am

Hello Mahima,
Thanks for your reply! Um, I discovered Tolkien because my parents read The Hobbit to me . .I think. . . and then I read the Lord of the Rings for myself and couldn't put it down, and I've loved it ever since. What other books? well, pretty much anything but horror and harlequins . .I just like it to be well written. A few favourites are: Tolkien (naturally), C.S. Lewis, T.S. Eliot, Saki, Georgette Heyer, Jane Austen, Lindsey Davis, Gillian Bradshaw, Robin McKinley, Sophie Kinsella, Anthony Trollope, Chaim Potok . .well, I could seriosly go on forever, so I'll stop. I'm an english lit student studying in England right now. Music . .well, I like baroque music, but also Great Big Sea, Lifehouse, Coldplay, Evanescence, Franz Ferdinand, Leahy, and I've a fondness for musicals and things like Riverdance. How about you? What do you like doing?
Regards,
<;""LaBelle.
LaBelleAuReveDormant

Postby truehobbit » Fri May 21, 2004 11:01 am

Wow, the thread has been busy! :D

Hello and welcome ~WyrtWif~ and LaBelleAuReveDormant! :)

WyrtWif - what does your name mean?

Belle, the name is lovely, very romantic and musical sounding - but I hope you don't mind if I shorten it! :)

And good to see you again, Mahima! :)
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby prettygaladriel » Mon May 24, 2004 12:26 am

Morning everyone, and a big Welcome ~WyrtWif~ and LaBelleAuReveDormant (long name, that) :) :)

~WyrtWif~ , nice to meet you! I bet Wilko's happy you've joined the study group :wink: take your time in looking around, and if you have any questions, no matter how dumb you may think they are, don't hesitate to ask :)

LaBelle First of all, let me tell you i love that name. It sounds so romantic. :D unfortunetly, i've never been to any musicals, soi can't say anything to that, but looking at your list of book, i can say that it looks like you like classical stuff.....hmmmm. Can't help you there either, alas :wink:

Mahima ((((((((HUGS))))))) great to see you darling!! i've missed you! :) :D
prettygaladriel
Mariner

Postby LaBelleAuReveDormant » Mon May 24, 2004 7:25 am

hello . . and thank you for the welcomes.
Thank you, I like my name too . .it's a fairytale thing. and no, of course I don't mind if it is shortened :) Yes, I love my classical stuff (that's why i'm a lit student) but I do branch out . .Sophie Kinsella is pure retail therapy in book form, and Robin McKinley is fairytale for the 20th/21st century, also I'm hopelessly addicted to Harry Potter . .ah well. I couldn't put down all the books I love.
Anyway . .I was just wondering a couple of things? (and if i'm making a faux pas, please understand it is from ignorance). Please could someone tell me what you do and do not do about posting and all that sort of thing? I've been looking around here for a while, and have been fascinated by all the discussions and things, but am terrified of spamming people by accident or something . . .
Regards,
<;""La Belle
LaBelleAuReveDormant

Postby Eltirwen » Mon May 24, 2004 7:47 am

LaBelle - Welcome to the bookworms! :D I'm a baby bookworm too, so join the club! It's great! As to your fear of spamming, if you go read the Terms of Service (aka TOS) it will help you greatly in your quest to not spam. Trust me. Also, just don't act like you're in a chat room and you should be okay. By the way, come visit the Lounge - that's what this is the gateway to, after all. It's under Talk:The Bird and Baby under Forums. It's lots of fun - and there's Ents! :D Once again, glad to meet you and hope to see you more!
Eltirwen
Rider of the Mark

Postby truehobbit » Mon May 24, 2004 10:15 am

Yes, what Eltirwen said, Belle! :)

Starting out with an intention not to spam is a great start already - if only more people did that! :wink: :)

The most simple and general way you can put it is: always read more than you post!

But don't be daunted to join a discussion or conversation, either! :)

If you are interested in a conversational thread (like the lounge Eltirwen mentioned :D ), just read the first few posts and the last couple of pages, to get an idea of what the setting is, the style of the place and what people are currently talking about.
If it's a thread where people seem to know each other quite well, it's a good idea to say hi and introduce yourself a bit, just like you did here - and don't be afraid, because in this sort of thread people are usually the friendliest!

If you want to join a serious discussion it's best to read all the posts before replying, so you don't repeat anything that has already been said (people who take part in serious discussion often don't take kindly to that).
(I mean, you don't get kicked out or anything, if you do, it's just a question of being respected by the other posters, which I'm sure you'd want. :) )
But when you feel you've got something to say and your point of view hasn't been expressed yet, feel free to jump in any discussion, no matter how expert it sounds! Each new view can be an important contribution!

There are only a few threads where you're not supposed to just jump in, mostly RP, but also a few guilds, and the VTSG also asks you to "sign up" before posting in the discussions. But such restrictions are always named in the opening posts, so I doubt you can go wrong there. :)

So, I'm looking forward to seeing you around on the boards - and happy posting! :)
truehobbit
Mariner

Can I be adopted?

Postby No_Man » Mon May 24, 2004 7:14 pm

Okay, I'm new to the site and to messageboards in general. I really don't want to end up looking like a idiot. Any info anyone is willing to share would be much appreciated.
No_Man
Shield Bearer

Postby Lady_Galadriel786 » Tue May 25, 2004 2:43 am

Welcome to the Bookworms Adopter Thread, No_Man!

If you read the first three posts in the the first page, you will get an idea as to this messageboard.

I aslo suggest you read the Welcome and Comprehensive Introduction to this Board, as well as Guidelines of Conduct.

Most of the links can be found in the first three posts. But if you have any specific questions, feel free to ask!

Enjoy your stay on TORC! Hope you see you around the boards!

LadyG
Lady_Galadriel786
Ranger of the North

Postby Mahima » Tue May 25, 2004 3:44 am

WELCOME To TORC and the Gateway, No_Man. The stuff which truehobbit just told LaBelle is very useful in terms of getting around the threads and posting...

Wow, you do a lot of reading LaBelle! That is really great. My reading has come down quite a bit... atleast reading for pleasure has ever since I started handling a job and a degree... but my favourite time of the day is still one where I am curled up with a gooood piece of fiction. :). I just finished reading R.K. Narayan's collection on "Malgudi" and The Book of Lost Tales - 2.
Mahima
Ranger of the North

Postby ~WyrtWif~ » Tue May 25, 2004 9:00 pm

Thank you for all the warm welcomes! I have been spending the last few days reading the threads on The Hobbit (I'm still on Chapter One), and also got pointed in the direction of Tolkien's Moral Universe over in the movie forum and it took me two days to get through the first page there. My brain hurts now. LOL This is fun. :D

truehobbit: I made up the name from the Old English words for "Root" and "Wife," to indicate both my love of nature and all things green, somewhat representative of an Entwife, and also to indicate my love for my husband and that our life together is the root of all that I am which binds me to the earth. (okay, a little corny... :P ) Thanks for asking!
~WyrtWif~
Shield Bearer

Postby Mahima » Tue May 25, 2004 11:27 pm

~WyrtWif~ wrote:truehobbit: I made up the name from the Old English words for "Root" and "Wife," to indicate both my love of nature and all things green, somewhat representative of an Entwife, and also to indicate my love for my husband and that our life together is the root of all that I am which binds me to the earth. (okay, a little corny... :P ) Thanks for asking!

WOW!! What a looovely thought. No, seriously, and its not "corny", its beautiful. :)
Mahima
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to Adoption Attic