Bookworms' Gateway to the Lounge and Garden II - All Welcome!

Adoption threads that have reached the 500 postcount limit are stored here. Note: threads in this Archive forum are Read Only.

Postby salean » Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:25 am

Sounds like you had a really good time there N_M.
Nando's is good..... but it only has about four veggie dishes....... luckily when I went there I wasn't a veggie, but now I would have a problem.
I want to go see greeeen mountains. All we get here is buildings and randomly placed pieces of countryside........and more buildings and roads....
We had a lot of windy roads in the Cevenne in France.....
You know, I never thought of you as grumpy either gobarg.....

Me and my friend followed a puppy around our local park today.... it was so cute!!!!!!!
salean
Ranger of the North

Postby gobarg » Sun Nov 07, 2004 2:28 pm

I have never thought of myself as Grumpy either 8)

I have been told that I have VERY expressive eyes so when I go GRRR :evil:
It works.

I have two very cute nieces who think that I can do no wrong and who trust me implicitly, so much so that the younger one has no fear when we play.

Any way we were all in the lounge of their Tata's(grandmother in lebanese)
playing games and drawing pictures when the oldest one -Lana -who is also my Goddaughter- dropped some food on one of the cushions. I asked here to clean it up very nicely as I always do but alas she just wiped it on the lounge suite and smiled at me.

I , of course, erupted in anger and after tearing a balloon from her hands and biting through it until it popped in my face, told her in no uncertain terms that I thought she was in the wrong and must apologise. Which of course she didn't do as she was in tears.
I turned around after berating her to see the rest of the familly including Joan and Tata staring at me.
Apparantly the colour of my eyes changes at these times and my visage is not to be beheld.
Funny though the girls still love me deeply but they are never never naughty or even misbehaved :wink:
They always look forward to their "Vacation" at our house during the holidays. :)
gobarg
Shield Bearer

Postby Mahima » Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:32 am

Yow! hope you are feeling better, N_M. :) And woow... the more I hear about NZ, the more I like it. :)

Thanks for liking my name, deirdre. :) It means "Greatness", approximately. It's a Sanskrit word, a little difficult to translate accurately into English.

You work in a Software company too? Hey, diddle-doo!
By which I mean, so do I. :)
Mahima
Ranger of the North

I wish I'd gone to NZ!

Postby Frodobaggins1986 » Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:32 am

Maybe you should get your photos scanned in so you can share those too. (And now I have a link to this thread from my e-mail!)
Frodobaggins1986
Shield Bearer

Postby No_Man » Mon Nov 08, 2004 5:17 pm

Yes, New Zealand is AWESOME!!!

Day 3: Upon wakening, we saw it had stopped raining, at least momentarily. We hastened to the beach and spent most of the morning there. We collected a lot of shells, mainly a small but beautiful snail shell that came in an amazing array of colours. There were several largish islands in the bay and they were smashing to look at! It reminded me of the Isle of Wight of the coast of England. Beautiful light coloured sand; perfectly clean, crystal clear water, amazing plants growing along the shore. Just amazing.
We were spending the night in Rotorua, so after the beach, we took to the road again. We stooped in the little town of Waihi to investigate a ruinous old building and discovered that there was a HUGE gold mine nearby. After observing the mining for a while, we walked around the town and had a quick lunch of fish and chips.
Continuing on, we came to the town of Tauranga, where I had plotted a short cut to Rotorua from. Turns out, the road I had intended to take hadn't been built yet or was closed, so we ended up taking the long way around. Still, it wasn't bad - we got to see more of the NZ countryside! If you look at a map of New Zealand, it probably won't give you a feel of the terrain. NZ is (or rather, for the most part, was) quite volcanic. So the hills are everywhere. And they aren't your everyday puny rounded hills. No, these are fabulous, nearly straight-sided, verdant GREEN hills.
We arrived in Rotorua mid afternoon. Soon after we checked in, it started to mist, but we walked around town anyway. (After all, it isn't every day you are in New Zealand. At least it isn't for me.) Rotorua is very thermal, meaning, quite literally, it stinks. The air always smells of sulfur. I personally don't care for that odor, but it was cool to see little pits steaming along the roads.
We had an excellent dinner at a noodle house and called it a day.

Concerning posting pictures, I think I have already made comment about electronics' reaction to my presence. (You, of all people should know this, Bilbo!) Maybe one of these days I will talk someone into doing it for me, but for now I'm afraid you will have to make due with my paltry descriptions.
And to all those interested, I had my stitches taken out last night. My lady youth pastor is a wonderful lady. and she offered to take them out for me so I wouldn't have to go back to the hospital. Today the cut has been itching like crazy and my mom says I reopened it a bit with my scratching. I can't help it! :pull:
More later!
~N_M
P.S. Am I going into enough detail? Too much? What sort of things do you want to hear more of?
No_Man
Shield Bearer

Postby Arwenelf » Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:17 pm

Well, I came like you told me No_Man! How long was your flight to Auckland? Also, how was the weather there? I will be there next October but I don't know what to expect...thanks:_
Arwenelf
Ranger of the North

Postby salean » Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:36 am

It was my friend's dad's funeral today. Only a few of us went, I didn't (because i stupidly forgot to pick up the note my mum wrote me to let me out of school to go....) but I'm feeling very, well..... reflective if you know what I mean. Also my Grandad has had another heart attack. This is now his third. He had one eight years ago and another one earlier than that. He was so lucky to survive this one because he was in the day centre he goes to on a tuesday. There was a nurse supervising him at the time so she knew exactly what to do. But last time he refused to have a heart bypass. I'm not sure what it is but my mum told me that if he refuses to have one this time then if he has another heart attack he will definitly die.

Anyway........ happier news...... I made a christmas pudding on tuesday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I made it with my friend who always makes me hyper...... it was very fun...... The first division team I support won against a premier league team!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Yeah, for most of you that probably means nothing..... I'm talking about football in case you didn't know. (That's English football......) um,um,um yeah.....
New Zealand certainly sounds awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
well, I've got to go, places to go, people to see...... and homework.......
salean
Ranger of the North

Postby striderchick » Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:11 pm

salean sorry to hear about you grandad.. i sorta know the feeling.. my grandad has had a few heart attacks in his time too... but he's also diabetic, and in these last 2 years, has had both legs amputated... that was scary for me... so.. yeah... i kinda understand..

no-man ah yes, Rotarua... perhaps this country should put warnings in their.. er.. advertisements for people visiting here.. i know that smell all to well.. i had a 10 day jambourie there a few years back...
and nando's... glad you found that, it is excellent isn't it?

striderchick
striderchick
Ranger of the North

Postby Taethowen2108 » Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:53 pm

Deidre, nice to meet you! Welcome to the bookworms! Come see us in the Lounge. We look forward to seeing you there!

To all else of my lovely bookworm friends, have a great night!!

Huggles,
Tae
Taethowen2108
Shield Bearer

Postby salean » Sat Nov 13, 2004 1:07 pm

My parents are being annoying........

Anyway, today, even though it was saturday I still had to go to school to sell t-shirts for a performance coming up. It was interesting watching the rehersal but otherwise very boring.
The funeral went ok, as far as funerals go. I wasn't there as I said before but my friends said it was very moving.
I'm going to visit my Grandad tomorrow in hospital.

We flooded the kitchen whilst doing the washing up today. fun fun fun!!!!!
salean
Ranger of the North

Hello

Postby TheRiddler » Sat Nov 13, 2004 7:31 pm

Hey as you can probably guess I'm new to these forums

I myself am a bookworm so i came here :P I guess I would like someone to show me the ropes and discuss the books with. I'm one of those people who when they get into something they get into something . My class went to certain play it was called "The hobbit" I admit I loved it but not enough to actually read the book when I found out about it unfortunately. Luckily at the time the movies were coming out I am one of those people who cant stand to see a movie based on a book before I actually read the book. so I took out the LOTR books from my library and read all of them just in time for the movies. I loved the books so much that i begged my parents to buy it for me, they did for my birthday... I then bought UT and the Similarion (sp) and i will be purchasing tales from the perilous realm (its only ten dollars where i live). i collect the Games Workshop models I have all three editions and I also have all three movies and the two games as you can see i really got into it. The one thing I dont like where i live is that there is noone to discuss the books with... I've heard this is the place to come to for Tolkien discussion so i signed up

So there's my life story :P ,
TheRiddler
TheRiddler
Petitioner to the Council

Postby truehobbit » Sun Nov 14, 2004 3:40 pm

And you've come to the right place, I'd say! :D

Welcome to TORC and to the bookworms, TheRiddler! :)

Sounds like you really got into it! :D
My own story is rather similar, though - from starting reading LOTR just before the movies (for the same reasons as you) I quickly went on to read a lot more of Tolkien.
It's kind of addictive, I guess. ;)

I take it you are in the US (as you mention dollars)?

Anyway, if you have any questions, just ask! :)

No Man, good story! I like your enthusiasm for the GREENness of New Zealand. :D
As to detail: the detail of story is just right, I think. :)
The details about your wound bleeding again because you scratched at it - :shock: - eek - please don't scratch! ;)
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby TheRiddler » Sun Nov 14, 2004 6:40 pm

Thanks for the nice welcome :)

Actually I live in Canada but you were close. I don't really have any questions about the site perse ive been lurking for awhile. I have alot of Tolkien related questions but don't want to make athread incase the subject has been beaten to death or something.

TheRiddler
TheRiddler

Postby truehobbit » Sun Nov 14, 2004 7:24 pm

Ah, Canada - thanks! :)
From among the bookworms, Jude is Canadian, but that's all the Canadians I can think of at the moment.

Lurking more than posting is always a good start! :)
On the other hand, fresh questions are always welcome, too! :D

I see you've started a thread in the meantime, and done everything right, too (ie, consulted the Big List ;) ).

However, please note that even if you find a thread on your subject in the List that does not mean you can't start a new one, if the one you've found hasn't been posted to in a long time!
You are of course most welcome to read the old threads, and maybe have your question answered that way. You can also revive old threads anytime and add your own thoughts. But, I just think it deserves repeating, if there's no active thread about your subject at the moment, you are welcome to start one.

It's true that there have been marvellous discussions on all sorts of things here in the past, but we've noticed that this seems to stop people from raising new questions, and that's not what we want!

Ok, maybe there are exceptions. There are some questions on which it's better not to start a thread: "do Balrogs have wings", "pointy ears of Elves" and "who is Tom Bombadil" come to mind. ;)
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby salean » Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:59 am

Welcome TheRiddler!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, hi!
I was a lurker for a loooong time on this site because I hadn't got my own email addi and my parents didn't want me to join on their email. So I had to wait till I got broad band. Yeah, lurking is goooood.

I read LotR because my best friend was and I always used to do what she did. lol. But she never finished it...... and I became obsessed.

Last night it was my youth group and we were playing loads of random games. One of them was that we had to tape people to the wall with duck tape and see who held the longest. I was on the floor in hysterics because everone on the wall thought we were actually going to let them fall. But our leader wasn't going to risk that.
I shall never forget their faces.
rofl.

Anyway, yeah........
I've forgotton what I was going to say.......

Oh! I went to visit my Grandad in hospital yesterday. He's fine but very very bored and he feels trapped by the machinary he's attached to. He's like a little child.......

Anyway.
hehehe
I've got to go have my tea.
salean
Ranger of the North

Postby Jude » Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:04 pm

Hi fellow Canadian!

If you don't want to start a whole new thread you can always visit the Lounge and bring up any topic you want to discuss. If it has to do with books, we're all ears!
Jude
Rider of the Mark

Postby Arwenelf » Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:44 pm

TheRiddler- I am also from canada, though I live in the US right now. Which part are you from? I was born in saskatoon, Saskatewan.
Arwenelf
Ranger of the North

Postby TheRiddler » Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:50 pm

Hey again thanks for the nice welcome.

I'm orginally from Nigeria but we then moved to Canada. Right now I live in Regina, Saskatchewan.

Do you still kep track of the sports and stuff Arwenelf, because the Riders lost in the semifinals and its a huge deal here.

TheRiddler
TheRiddler

Postby Arwenelf » Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:24 pm

No, I don't really keep track of the sports there, then again I don't even keep track of the sports here in the US! That's cool that we lived romotely in the same area. I think I have met a few other torcers from SK as well. Now, I can't say that I have been to Nigeria, but I have been to Botswana, SA and Zimbabwe and I love Africa:) It is a very beautiful country and I hope to go there again someday.

Has anyone seen NM?
Arwenelf
Ranger of the North

Why N_M hasn't been here a while...

Postby Frodobaggins1986 » Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:51 am

N_M asked me (in person) to tell you she's been banned from her computer, but will be back soon with more NZ tales!
Frodobaggins1986
Shield Bearer

Postby truehobbit » Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:44 am

Oh dear! How come? :shock:

Thanks for telling us, Frodobaggins1986! :)
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby No_Man » Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:13 pm

She got into a bit of a dispute with her family. (Sadly, part of that is concerning this website.)
On with NZ!

Day 4: Dad and I spent the morning visiting a thermal park on the outskirts of Rotorua. Fabulous boiling mud pots! (My personal favourite attraction at such places. I could literally watch them for hours.) We also visited a nursery and garden that were absolutely gorgeous. All of the cherries, pears, and crabapples were in full bloom. The hyacinths (sp?) were just coming on and all the hostas were barely breaking dormancy.
After a quick lunch (grocery store style), we continued on toward Lake Taupo. Again, smashing scenery! Believe it or not, I can honestly say that the scenery in LOTR doesn't touch but the surface of NZ (in my opinion). This is coming from an absolute LOTR freak! Perhaps that will help portray the awesome beauty this country possesses.
Anyway, we stopped at a kiwi fruit farm and picked up some fresh golden kiwis - which immediately became a staple breakfast food for me. If you haven't had a golden kiwi before, imagine the best regular kiwi that you have ever had, and think of it getting even sweeter but without losing any of its characteristic flavour. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. They were so juicy and good! And I haven't been able to find any yet in this country. :x
After leaving the fruit farm, we were caught in yet another rainstorm. It kept us from visiting Huka Falls that evening, but, ah well, it made the scenery all the better. We turned in early so that we could be well rested for the next day. What a day!

Arwenelf - When I was there in October (the equivalent of our April) the locals were saying that there season was a month behind. Some of them were complaining on how bitterly cold it was, but I couldn't help noticing orange trees growing in their yards. It was chilly, typically in the teens (Celsius) or forties-fifties (Farenheit) (sp?). It wasn't too bad, but I would recommend bringing some warm clothes.
How long was our flight? Too long! I love to fly, but this was a bit in the extreme. I think the flight from L.A. to Aukland was 13 hours - plus a full day lost due to the dateline.
Hope that helps!
~N_M
No_Man
Shield Bearer

Postby Wasara » Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:08 am

Hey to All!

I wish I could get to New Zealand once in my lifetime.

But I also have a question:

How can I edit and alter the topic or the name of the thread?And how I get those huge colourful letters?
Wasara
Mariner

Postby truehobbit » Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:21 am

Welcome back, No Man! :)
I hope this means the differences with your family are settled then?

Hmmmh, a dispute over using TORC? Have you told them about the strict family-friendly policy of the site? And, what's much more, the fact that by far the most people here are really friendly, not just restrained because of the TOS!

And - didn't you just turn 18?
Of course, in a household you make a lot of compromises about who can do what, and that's fine, but now that you're an adult you can go to whatever websites you choose!

But anyway, I'm glad that you're back! :)

You do make New Zealand sound tempting! :)
It didn't really match my ideas of Middle-Earth, although of course I found the landscapes impressive.
I like your descriptions of nature a lot! :)
I've had golden Kiwis here, but I guess the long journey might have taken away some of the aroma. I found them boring compared to the green ones.

So, I guess the solution is to go to New Zealand and try them there, right? ;)

Wasara, by clicking on the edit button on the top right hand corner of your posts you can edit any of your posts, and if you go to the opening post of a thread you started, it'll let you change the title of the thread, too.

And you can change the colour and size of the letters by using the drop down menus next to "font colour" and "font size" right above the reply window.
Just select/highlight the words or even single letters you want to display larger or in a different colour and then choose a colour or a size from the menu.

(Please note, however, that the "tiny" size isn't legible unless the reader clicks on "quoted reply" and that some colours, like yellow for example, can be hard to read, too.)

In your reply window this: big, colourful letters will look like this: [size = 18 ][color = blue]big, colourful letters[ / color][ / size] (without the gaps of course)

Hope that helped! :)
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby salean » Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:01 am

Oooooh, so now I know too!!!! But I wasn't going to ask because haven't come across that problem yet.

I am doing my physics homework, really.....

Anyway.
I'm feeling very annoyed at the moment because I've got two detentions in four days and for doing NOTHING!!!!! The first one was because I was apparantly 'eating' inside and the other one for not handing in my h/w. It was a bit hard to hand in my homework when I haven't been in the last two lessons that we have had. So I've had no chance to give it in to him. It's not fair.

Good to see you back N_M. I can't imagine what would happen if I got banned from my computer. I think my parents kinda like it because it gets me away from the TV (which I don't watch anyway because I just don't) but, yeah....

Anyway.

Salean
salean
Ranger of the North

Postby Wasara » Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:02 am

Warm thanks to you,My Adopter!

That was really big help.
Wasara
Mariner

Postby Arwenelf » Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:41 pm

N_M- Thanks! The 13 hour flight doesn't sound too bad to me because when I went to S. Africa it was a 17 hr flight out of NY! Plus all of the other annoying flights I had to take to get there, because I got bumped off of my flight out of Georgia!

*Note to self, try golden kiwis*
Arwenelf
Ranger of the North

More bad news from N_M

Postby Frodobaggins1986 » Fri Nov 26, 2004 12:17 pm

Turns out, the family matter isn't really settled for N_M. Sorrowfully, any messages in the near future from here don't look hopeful. (Banned because she was wrongfully blamed for messing up icons on the family computer...)
Frodobaggins1986
Shield Bearer

Postby truehobbit » Fri Nov 26, 2004 5:58 pm

Wasara and salean, happy to have been of help! :)

Frodobaggins1986 :(
I'm sorry to hear that - I know it's not my business to say this about someone's family, but it would seem to me to be an unreasonably harsh reaction, even if No Man had messed up some icons. Thinking that she got punished when she hasn't one anything is really sad.
Please tell her, we are all hoping she'll be back eventually, and we'll keep her seat reserved in the meantime! :)
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby salean » Sat Nov 27, 2004 5:38 am

Awww no!!!!!!
Yeah, like Truehobbit said- we hope she is able to come back sooon!!!!!!

I had a violin concert today. It went very well. I didn't break my tradition of being at the back.

And.....

I found my gloves!!!!!!!!!!! I'd given up hope of finding them and they were in my coat pocket all along!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm typing with them on now so that I don't lose them again!!!!!!!!!!!! They're stripey ones- all colours of the rainbow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's less than a month till Christmas!!!!!!!! And 17 days till ROTKEE comes out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have completely lost my voice. I can't sing anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sal
salean
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to Adoption Attic