Bookworms' Gateway to the Lounge and Garden II - All Welcome!

Adoption threads that have reached the 500 postcount limit are stored here. Note: threads in this Archive forum are Read Only.

Postby BaronAlstine » Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:29 am

*shyly pokes head through door*
hello again,
well, the creators of this post will remember me from page 2 of this little adoption thread. sadly with the harrows of study i let my place in this little community, small and innocent though it was, die out. seeing as part of my study i get to work on tolkien in comparison to other epic fantasy authors i thought it wise to start up again and rekindle my sleeping passion.

i hope you can welcome me again
BaronAlstine
Citizen of Imladris

NZ news still...

Postby Frodobaggins1986 » Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:01 pm

No_man has asked me to tell you about the rest of her NZ trip. I don't have any info yet, but will soon!

And tomorrow at church, she says she wants to show me something. (I think it's a sword she made with a friend she's been talking about...FOR MONTHS!)
Frodobaggins1986
Shield Bearer

Postby truehobbit » Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:08 am

Welcome back, Baron Alstine! :)

I think I remember your name - I hope you'll stay around for longer this time! Of course your place is still free! :D

What is your study?
More and more schools/unis seem to take Tolkien's work into consideration these days, and that's great!

salean, good to hear your concert went well - why are you always at the back?

LOL - I'm picturing you typing with gloves on :D - amazing that there aren't any typos in your post in spite of that. :)

How's your voice?

Frodobaggins, looking forward to hearing about the rest of No Man's holiday!
And about how you make a sword all by yourself! :)
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby Mahima » Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:51 am

Well, fellow bookworms, I am back. Two weeks gone and I can see we have new faces. :)

A Big Welcome to Frodobaggins, Baron Alstine and TheRiddler . :D
Mahima
Ranger of the North

Postby BaronAlstine » Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:16 am

hmmm well it seems my attempt to study tolkien has been foiled again. Curse the IB. now i must either study epic fantasy in general or the Schism in the church. oh well, i intend to stay on the forums anyway, cause with only 8 days til the EE of RotK the passion is once again alive :)
BaronAlstine
Citizen of Imladris

More...

Postby Frodobaggins1986 » Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:06 am

No NZ news from N_M, yet. I saw her sword last night. WOW! But it costs big bucks. Like $300. (Will she be able to get the ROTK EE?) But she can handle it pretty well...

This week I added to my LOTR DVD collection. (So far the ONLY collection of the ONLY DVD's I own.) I now have both versions (widescreen) of FOTR. And I can get the TE's of the other two, as well as two other movies, for only $20! (And it's a REAL DEAL!)
Frodobaggins1986
Shield Bearer

Postby salean » Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:08 pm

Wow, I wish I could make a sword....... but I would be useless with it anyway........

My voice has come back!!!!!!!!!!!!! (much to the annoyance of my Dad, the house has gone back to christmas song time!!!!!!)

I'm always at the back because I don't 'push myself' to the front. I don't want other people to get annoyed at me for taking their seat........

I love my gloves!!!!!!

FrodoBaggins- LOTR dvd deals rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BaronAlstine- Welcome back!!!!!!! Hello!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anyway......... RL is ok, not too many arguements between friends.... I love the Christmas spirit............................:green:

La-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la

Sal
salean
Ranger of the North

Postby Mahima » Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:58 pm

BaronAlstine, Epic fantasy sounds interesting. You could focus on the epics which have been said to inspire Tolkien, so you would be studying Tolkien in a round-about way. :)

Frodobaggins, please do pass on our support to N_M.

By the way, its great to have *you* around. I hope you intend to be with us.

Wow, sal, you really seem to be in X'masy Spirit. :D
Mahima
Ranger of the North

More news...

Postby Frodobaggins1986 » Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:31 am

N_M is actually watching this thread, but cannot reply at present. Maybe someday...

Anyway, she got me her info on day 5 in NZ, I'll be posting it later this week. She has also let me use her password so I can post her message with her account, so she'll get the posting credit. So messages from N_M will be back soon, but don't ask questions.
Frodobaggins1986
Shield Bearer

I got a website!

Postby Frodobaggins1986 » Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:29 am

Today, I got a website a tripod.
http://frodobaggins27.tripod.com
Nothing much yet, but in a month, I should have a few things up.
(Like my Middle-earth games, my Hobbit script, my Chapter 6 and Wizard of Oz fan stuff... all that...)
Frodobaggins1986
Shield Bearer

Postby BaronAlstine » Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:35 pm

does anyone know what has happened to the aussies in the aussie guild? its like they knew i was coming and disappeared :wink: trying to get enough money to get to the major LotR museum thingy which is going to be in sydney is currently taking up most of my time, and i trying to see how many other aussies from across the country are going to be trying to get there.
BaronAlstine
Citizen of Imladris

NZ Day 5

Postby No_Man » Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:49 am

Day 5:
When we got up, it was to a marvelously sunny day. We quickly hit the road north to see Huka Falls, which we had been unable to visit the night before due to the rain. It was utterly spectacular! A fairly wide river coming out of Lake Taupo enters a narrow chute which greatly increases the water's velocity. (I think the water's speed gets up to 35 mph.) At the end of the chute there is a drop of perhaps 20 ft. The water is moving so fast that it just shoots out the end! Smashing!
After getting many photos of the afore mentioned Huka Falls, we headed back south around Lake Taupo.
For those uninformed of NZ geography, the North Island was (and still is in some places) highly volcanic. Lake Taupo is the caldera of what was once an enormous volcano. It is very deep and has fabulous volcanic beaches - black sand, chunks of floatable pumice rock, the whole nine yards. And if that isn't enough to take your breath away, the backdrop certainly will. You've got the sharply steep green hills in front of three majestic snowcapped mountains/volcanos - Tongariro, Ngaurhoe, and Ruapehu.
Mount Ruapehu was home of many locations in Middle-earth; Mordor, the Emyn Muil, and Ithilien, to name a few. As we traveled up the mountain toward a ski resort, even my dad (who has seen LOTR but isn't really into it) was really getting into the whole deal and making Mordor-ish comments. The higher we drove, the more the landscape looked hellish with the blasted rock and all. Smashing!
It was also on Mount Ruapehu that I found my first exact filming location. In TTT, there is a scene where Gollum is essentially crawling down a river trying to catch a fish. Fanatics will know that this was where the film crew scrambled to melt the snow from a freak snowfall. Andy Serkis did the scene four times, getting colder each time. He said he was afraid that he would lose his grip and go over the waterfall that was right there. I had imagined a small twenty foot fall. No way! That waterfall was tall! It had become cold and rainy, but nothing could dampen my spirits. I was standing in the exact same spot as Gollum! And I have photographic proof of it!
Once Dad insisted that we had spent enough time at the river, we continued our drive around Tongariro National Park and back to Lake Taupo. We then drove east to Napier.
I must admit that Napier was the one town in NZ that I did not fully enjoy. (If you live there, I'm sorry.) It was the only time we were driving after dark, there weren't enough road signs, and my map (I was the navigator) was not correct on some of the roads. In short, we got lost in the industrial wharf on a pitch black rainy night. We did eventually find our way to our motel, which was not as good as our travel agent had made it seem.
Even so, it was one of my favourite days in NZ. (And I did enjoy Napier - just not that night.)

By the way, hello to all! (This is now the actual No_Man speaking.) As my friend has said, I am able to read what you guys are posting, but am unable to spend the time to post myself. So if you have questions, I would be delighted to answer them - it just might take a while. Thank you, Bilbo!!!!!
No_Man
Shield Bearer

Postby truehobbit » Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:57 pm

No Man, good to see it's the real you posting! :D

Though, of course, FrodoBaggins is most welcome here, too - hope to see more posts from you, too, Frodo! :)

(LOL, that felt funny, writing that I'd like to see more posts from Frodo :D :wink: )

Another lovely report, thanks, No Man! :)

No_Man wrote:even my dad (who has seen LOTR but isn't really into it) was really getting into the whole deal and making Mordor-ish comments. The higher we drove, the more the landscape looked hellish with the blasted rock and all. Smashing!

Hehe, I'd like to know what "Mordor-ish comments are! ;)
And *sigh* I'd love to see some piccies! :)
I must admit that Napier was the one town in NZ that I did not fully enjoy. (If you live there, I'm sorry.)

I don't think anyone here lives there - only one TORCer I know of is from NewZealand (though not living there at the moment), although of course I might be missing some. But it's a very thoughtful thing of you to say. :)

Baron Alstine, I'm afraid I don't know what happened with the Aussie Guild - is it that you can't find the thread or that there are no new posts?
(I tried to find it via the guilds list, but that didn't work, so I'm not sure what's wrong - I'll try to find out more if there's a problem with the thread - if the posters just have left, there's nothing I can do, of course :) ).

Anyway, here's a thread in Events about the event: http://forums.tolkienonline.com/viewtopic.php?t=83248 (not many posters there so far, I'm afraid.
I know that some of the Australian posters I have known aren't on TORC so much anymore. :(
If it is the same exhibition we saw in London last year (costumes, models and stuff) - it's gorgeous, really worthwhile! :D

Edit: I followed the link in the events thread. Looks like it's indeed the same exhibition as the one in London last year! :D It was brilliant, especially to combine it with a TORCmoot! :)

The dates in the thread aren't up to date - opening is Dec 26, not Dec 18.
Anyway, do try to get there, and do try to find some more Aussie posters to meet once you're there! :)

Btw, I'm sorry it took so long for any of the adopters to reply - times are busy, I guess. :)
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby striderchick » Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:35 pm

truehobbit wrote:
I don't think anyone here lives there - only one TORCer I know of is from NewZealand (though not living there at the moment), although of course I might be missing some. But it's a very thoughtful thing of you to say. :)

Ahem i live in NZ.. but Aucks, not Napier, so it doesn't bother me anyway.. just felt like making my presence felt... =P

striderchick
striderchick
Ranger of the North

Postby No_Man » Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:41 pm

Hate to disappoint you TrueHobbit, but the only thing in that post that No_Man actually posted was the tiny bit at the end. (I'm not supposed to be on the site [it is a LOTR thing, not a security issue], so my good friend will be doing the long posting for me. Though it will be my words.) Any way, I am watching, reading, and wishing, just unable to post but a few edits now and then.
Namarie!
~N_M
No_Man
Shield Bearer

I got ROTK EE!

Postby Frodobaggins1986 » Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:32 pm

Today I went to Wal-Mart and got not one, but TWO copies of "Return of the King" Extended Edition on DVD. One for myself, and the other for No_Man, who knew in advance she couldn't go to get it herself. So, she asked a friend to help her out. I had to.

Haven't watched it yet, though, but I do know where the two Easter Eggs are... Check my thread on the Movies forum for details.
Frodobaggins1986
Shield Bearer

Postby Mahima » Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:23 am

sigh. all these talks about EE are making me jealous. Nothing like that is appearing in good ol' India. though, not toooo jealous, as I'm not really into the movies. Dons her purist hat :)

Striderchick :oops: from the bookworms. I love NZ, and hope to got there, someday, by the way.
Mahima
Ranger of the North

Postby salean » Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:58 am

Hello again everyone!!!!!!!!
My friend is currently in NZ. He goes practicly every year, to visit family out there. Lucky thing.

Everything is taking so long to load up at the moment.

Anyway, me and my mum and my two sisters just spent an hour in Primark (for those of you who aren't familiar with the shop, it's basicly a place where you can get very very cheap things. Like a full set of pyjamas for five pounds. Granted they may not last too long but......) We're exhausted.

Will be back in a second. I've got to have my tea.

Ok, I'm back. Where was I? Oh yes. Yesterday I had my diptheria, tetnus and polio jab. It hurts.

I got distinction in my grade 5 theory exam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm really proud of myself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I got a cross country colour, that is a system our school has where, if you represent the school team and show great determination or something then you get something to sow onto your blazer!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is a BIG deal in our school, I'm the first person in our group of friends to have one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

N_M-NZ sounds really nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wanna go there. I like the bit about Mordor-ish comments. I could imagine my Dad doing that.

Sal
salean
Ranger of the North

Postby salean » Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:15 am

I passed 500 posts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I told my parents and they gave me strange looks. Very strange looks.

heheheheheheheheheheeehhehehehe

Sal
salean
Ranger of the North

Postby truehobbit » Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:06 am

A big woohoo and congrats on 500 posts, salean! :)

And almost at the same time that this little thread hits 500 posts, too! :D

Congrats, too, on your success in the exams and the badge you got! Well done! :)

striderchick wrote:Ahem i live in NZ..

:oops: Sorry, striderchick, I had forgotten about that.

Maybe if you showed up here more often...? :P ;)

No_Man wrote:Hate to disappoint you TrueHobbit, but the only thing in that post that No_Man actually posted was the tiny bit at the end. (I'm not supposed to be on the site [it is a LOTR thing, not a security issue], so my good friend will be doing the long posting for me. Though it will be my words.) Any way, I am watching, reading, and wishing, just unable to post but a few edits now and then.

Ah, ok - sorry, another misunderstanding. :oops:

So sorry to hear it's a LOTR thing! :( What on earth could be said against that?
And an even stranger thing to try to stop a grown-up from! :?
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby striderchick » Sun Dec 19, 2004 5:51 pm

Truehobbit yeah, maybe i should come here more often.. =P

i've been a little distracted lately though, since my grandad died..

that was a few weeks ago.. and he was old, and very sick...

er..

well...

hope everyone's well, and happy.. and prepared for the holidays..

and salean congrats on the 500+ ^-^

Edit Mahima thanks, and i'm sure you will get to NZ someday, and not have to hear about it jealously..

be happy people ^-^

striderchick
striderchick
Ranger of the North

Postby Mahima » Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:24 pm

striderchick, please accept our deepest condolences. I'm sure he lived a happy, full life, and passed away as a contented man, proud of his granddaughter.

{hugs}
Mahima
Ranger of the North

Hi!

Postby Frodobaggins1986 » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:33 am

Hi, I'm back! (Mahima, LOVE that picture, it's on my FIRST copy of the Hobbit!) Today, I picked up the Two Towers Extended Edition, thus completing my Lord of the Rings DVD Collection, unless I want the animated versions. (Here's hoping for a live-action version of the Hobbit soon!) I'm not really expectiong LOTR presents this year...

I have no word from N_M, except, day after tomorrow, she's heading down to Mexico for Christmas. Her family travels a lot! (I hope she gets another letter to me before she goes!) And she'll be in Mexico, her brother and sister in London, and her Mom and Dad, at home this Christmas. Me? I'm staying home with family and "faithful friends that are dear to us."

Merry Christmas to all @ TORC!
Frodobaggins1986
Shield Bearer

Postby salean » Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:05 pm

((Hugs)) striderchick!!!!!!!!!! My Grandad died a couple of weeks ago too, the funeral was yesterday, my half-uncle and half-cousin who live in Australia but who I've never met were there. That was quite interesting.

Is this thread hitting five hundred?????
CONGRATS THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aaaaanyway,
Thank you Mahima and striderchick

*wants ROTKEE and FOTREE*

I was helping at a holiday club today. The kids were very excited..... there was 100 of them there, our group had 37 in it. I had to sort out three fights, two between the boys and one between the girls, I was attacked by a little boy who has behavioral problems, and I was attacked by my two little friends who insisted on poking my nose. I'm exhaustedd.

Sal
salean
Ranger of the North

Postby truehobbit » Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:44 pm

striderchick and salean, sorry to hear of your loss! :grouphug:

striderchick, I didn't mean to criticise you for not being here - just a friendly nag, saying it would be nice to see you more often! :)

Frodobaggins, No_Man is going to Mexico alone? :shock:
Good to hear you'll be with family. Best at this time of the year, I think. :)

Congrats on getting the EE! :D

salean - you got attacked by the kids? :shock: How did you react? I'd be at a loss to decide what to do in such case!

And, yes, let's raise a glass on 500 posts for our thread - the best adoption place around, which is easily proved by its having the nicest and most clever adoptees! :)

500 posts, however, also means that we are due for a restart!

Normally, adoption threads are started fresh at 500 posts, so that new people aren't scared by the length of the thread.
Still, there's no hurry, things might get a bit slow around Christmas and there's also a lot of cleaning up to do in our opening post, and wilko is a bit busy at the moment (I think) - so I don't think the restart will still be this year.
I just thought I'd let you know in time, so you can fasten your seat-belts when we take off for the third instalment of our thread! :)

A Merry Christmas to you all, and a Happy New Year! :)

(Doesn't mean I won't be here before that, I just thought it was a good time to say it! :D )
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby striderchick » Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:15 pm

hey people..

Mahima thanks for your kind words..

Salean i'm sorry for your loss.. there were some people at my grandad's funeral that i was surprised to see.. eg: my aunts ex husband.. and my granny's brother, who we have no way of contacting, read the notice in the paper and drove up to us for it.

truehobbit it's alright, i know it was only friendly =P

season's greetings and lots of friendly love

striderchick
striderchick
Ranger of the North

Postby striderchick » Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:01 pm

awww... i lost my swords again.. =\ .. hehehe
striderchick
Ranger of the North

Postby salean » Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:39 am

A new thread!!!! Wow!!!!

Well, I didn't really know what to do either. The boy I was saying, he grabbed hold of my leg, and wouldn't let go, then he decided to jump on my friends back and attempt to strangle her, and then when I stopped him from doing that he twisted my arms around and it hurt, a lot, he is surprisingly strong for a 7 or 8 year old. I just kind of pulled him off, there were five of us helpers in the group, not including the adults, so we managed to cope with him pretty well. :roll:

Thanks Hobby!!!!

And a very merry christmas to you all as well!!!!!!!

I'm just waiting for my mince pies to cook. Me and my sisters had so much fun making them, and with the left over pastry we made biscuits. We got everything done quicker than usual because we had the three of us actually working together without arguements for the first year.... um..... EVER!!!!!!!!

And, yes, let's raise a glass on 500 posts for our thread - the best adoption place around, which is easily proved by its having the nicest and most clever adoptees!

And where would we be without our extremely kind and helpful adopters!!!!!!!!
*raises glass*

striderchick- I didn't know half the people at the funeral, except my family....... I was surprised to see my Nana's brother and his wife and their son, well, not really surprised, but they live in the Isle of Wight so it was quite a way for them to come for one day.

*lifts mince pies out of the oven*
hehehehhe Anyone up for some fersh home made mince pies????

Sal
salean
Ranger of the North

Postby Sirindu » Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:00 am

Hello, I'm new here, as you can see (post count ;)) I didn't really think that I would need to find an adoption thread to take me in, but this msg board is quite different from the ones I've been to, and I've even run some forums.

Anyways, if you want to take me in, you can, and I'd be delighted. :) Here's a little about me...

I live in the U.S. (we've got 13" of snow here today!) and I've read the Silmarillion, The Hobbit, LOTR, The Book of Lost Tales 1&2, and I'm currently reading the Unfinished Tales, which I like very much.

I'm currently working on a video game called The Last Alliance. It's a Tolkien purist's game, an RTS which will encompass all three ages of the Sun. I am a Game Design and Linguistics consultant there, but my role is not limited to that, and I will be helping out in other areas as well.

A Linguistics Consultant, yes, I am very fascinated with Tolkien's various languages of Arda. I'm currently studying the Hebrew language, which as some of you may know, Tolkien based several languages on, including at least some forms of Elvish.

If I remember correctly, this Bookworms group of adopters is also specialized in TORC's RPs, correct? I've done one LOTR based RP before, and that same group of people are starting another one in a few days, which I will also be in. That LOTR RP was my first RP, and I found it to be a lot of fun (I was Gandalf).

One reason why I found it fun was because I love writing. I've written one full novel, and I'm working on a sequal (tho it is going slow because my work with The Last Alliance takes up a lot of my time).

I could go on quite a while longer, but I won't burden you with an even longer post solely about myself. So I will wait and meet some of you, and over time you will get to know me better. :)

-Sirindu
Sirindu
Citizen of Imladris

Postby truehobbit » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:09 pm

Hello and welcome to TORC and to the bookworms, Sirindu! :)

Thanks for telling us something about yourself - wow, that's an impressive list of accomplishments! :D

TORC was the first messageboard I've used, and I got so hooked from the start I've never had much time to look around at other boards. In what way is TORC different? (Apart from looking much prettier than any other board I've ever seen! ;) :D )

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! :)
It's what we're here for, and not just that - more often than not, when a question gets asked, it turns out that other people have been wondering about the same thing, but have been too shy to ask! So, no need to be shy! :D

As to RP, it sounds like you have some experience already. I do a little bit of RP, but the other adopters who are active at the moment don't. As I said in my post above, we are due for some refurbishing, as we seem to have lost the two adopters who were really a lot into RPing.
If you have questions, I think I could answer most things about RP on TORC, but I'm not involved in a multitude of RPs.
However, if you want to specialize in RP, and practice together with your adopters, there's an adopting group called "The Players", who are exclusively about RP and who also run the thread like an RP for practice purposes.

But as I think you have widespread interests in Tolkien's work and in languages, I'd say you fit in here just fine! :)

If you write for the joy of writing, I think you'll find a lot to enjoy in TORC's RPs. The quality of the writing in some RPs here is great, and for me it's more the writing and the process of writing as a group effort, rather than the story as such that I find fascinating.

Do you intend to get your novel published?

I never knew they had linguistics consultants for video games! Well, I really know hardly anything about video and PC games. :oops: :)

13 inches of snow! Wow, so you'll be having a white Christmas! :)
No snow here - western part of Germany, near the river Rhine. But that's normal, so no problem. :)
truehobbit
Mariner

PreviousNext

Return to Adoption Attic