Evenstar's Emporium - Ready for Locking!

Adoption threads that have reached the 500 postcount limit are stored here. Note: threads in this Archive forum are Read Only.

My first question!

Postby *Stephanie* » Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:05 pm

Okay, I was wondering if any of you have any advice on which forums I should check out first? There are SOOOO many, I just don't know where to start. <gushing with pleasure and clapping hands excitedly>

What are the best places for newbies to start????

Stephanie
*Stephanie*
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Evenstar_of_Imladris » Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:39 pm

Hmmmm...that's a pretty tough question :P

I would say start in:

1. The Talk forum - this is where friendly conversation about a myriad of subjects takes place. The Emporium's chat thread is there too where you can get to know the rest of my e-kids better :)

2. Tom's House - this forum branched off from Talk a long time ago and is still more friendly conversation and light-hearted role-playing. There's a lot of games you can participate in their too.

3. Alliances and Guilds - this place is fantastic for getting to know people who are interested in the same things you are! Like creative and inventive role-play? The Rings Guild or the Powers of Arda is for you. Live in a particular state or country? There's a 90% chance there's a guild for your place of residence (and if there isn't one - start one and start meeting those folks! :) ). Like so many things you couldn't possibly decide which guild to join? Why, there's a guild for people with too many interests!

These are the places I would start, but of course there aren't any rules as to where a newbie can begin posting. If you like getting into heated debates about politics, religion, world affairs, etc. then maybe you want to head to Manwe - who knows? :)

Evenstar_of_Imladris
Evenstar_of_Imladris
Ringbearer

Postby oldtoby » Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:47 pm

Movies and Manwe :wink:
oldtoby
Ringbearer

Postby Evenstar_of_Imladris » Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:21 pm

Toby, who invited you in here anyway? :P

Evenstar_of_Imladris
Evenstar_of_Imladris
Ringbearer

Postby oldtoby » Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:34 pm

The Ghost of Christmas past. :wink: or was it Horshack? :twisted:
oldtoby
Ringbearer

Postby Evenstar_of_Imladris » Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:37 pm

Pfffft...quit spamming up my thread! :x :P ;)

*shoos Toby off to Teh Chat Thread8

Evenstar_of_Imladris
Evenstar_of_Imladris
Ringbearer

Postby Marsupial » Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:42 am

Hello in there...

is there room for yet another newbie in here? :?

I am the Marsupial, from Montreal, Qc, Canada, french speaking who doesn't like the french traduction of the lord of the rings (while the french version of The Hobbit was good) and recently joined in here... 8)

I am new here, but have frequented several other forum base trough the years... I got here trying to find ressources for Quenya translation and Tengwar, but it was just a reason for finding this cool site. :wink:

All in all, I got lost in this huge website, and would require some assistance from a friendly elvish face, or a deformed hobbit if necessary, who cares, as long as I find my way in here... :!:

I already posted here and there, but cannot seam to find my way back to those threads... :(

Anyway, I am seeking for being adopted. I am major, vaccinated and very clean... :lol:

So.... can you keep me?? :?:
Marsupial
Shield Bearer

Postby MaidenOfTheShieldarm » Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:41 am

good lord! MORE n00bies!! :D *bounces excitedly*

Hi Stephanie!

And welcome, Marsupial! There is *always* room for more n00bies. I'm MaidenOfTheShieldarm, aka Mossy, Maiden, and Gomez (don't ask). I'm sure Imi and LadyG will be along to welcome you officially. :)

OldToby, the sass is not appreciated. :nono: :P Trying to send innocent little newbs off to m00bies. That's just mean. :roll: And Manwe...*shudder* If that were the first place I went, that'd be the last place I went too.

Time for class and Othello! Hurrah for Iago.

MaidenOfTheShieldarm
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Ranger of the North

Postby Evenstar_of_Imladris » Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:37 am

Hi Marsupial! :D

Of course I'll adopt you. This place can be a bit intimidating at first - it's huge! But I call this place home and I would love it if you could grow to enjoy it the way the rest of us do. Feel free to ask any questions you might - there are no stupid questions! :)

Welcome once again and happy posting :)

Evenstar_of_Imladris
Evenstar_of_Imladris
Ringbearer

Postby Marsupial » Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:18 am

Yay!!!
Thanks a lot!

[/me puts himself at ease in the new home...]

I would have a first question...

I right now monitor the "new threads since last visit" when I come in. (mainly during break at work)

But I can miss some threads which I am involved in... In other places, I saw ways to search on thread I posted in, but I cannot seam to find a way to search on my own posts or threads with posts from "Marsupial"...

:horse:
Marsupial
Shield Bearer

Postby Evenstar_of_Imladris » Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:57 am

If you would like to keep track of a thread that you are involved in there's a link at the top of the page that says "Watch this topic for replies" and if you click on that, you will get an e-mail when a reply is made. However, you won't get an e-mail each time there is a reply, you'll get one e-mail and the link will stay active until you check the thread - pretty handy actually :)

Evenstar_of_Imladris
Evenstar_of_Imladris
Ringbearer

Postby Lady_Galadriel786 » Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:26 pm

Oh my God! :shock: Yet another n00b!

Evie, isn't it cool, my psychic messaging really worked!!! Wow!!! :D

Welcome Marsupial! When you have time, come join the rest of the family in our chat thread.

Toby! :nono: Stop scaring the n00bs! :x
Lady_Galadriel786
Ranger of the North

Postby Marsupial » Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:56 pm

"our chat thread"...?
:woah:
What chat thread?
:?

I tried to "watch topics" and in fact just realised I had the incoming emails considered as spam... wondered why it wasn't working...
:roll:
Is there any other search options in here??

Also, when I click on "My Settings", I get

You'll need to confirm your login or become a member before you can access My Settings!

:Q
But I have confirmed my login, and even went there when I confirmed, as I changed my wizard for the elrond logo, but can't seam to be able to get there anymore... did I miss something??? :pull:
Last edited by Marsupial on Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marsupial
Shield Bearer

Postby entmaiden_laurelin » Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:00 pm

Will you adopt me too? Please? I get frightened by big websites, and Sugaplum recommended you as an adopter.
entmaiden_laurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby Lady_Galadriel786 » Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:08 pm

Another n00b! Yowsers! :shock: My power is greater than I thought! :D

Welcome to the Emporium, Entmaiden_laurelin! I'm LadyG, the eldest of Evie's kids, also known as the Mouth of Evenstar, because I am second in command here. :)

Feel free to ask us any question you may have, and we'll try and answer them to the best of our abilities. Also, join us in our chat thread and get to know the rest of the family!

Enjoy your stay here and many happy posting!

Marsupial, follow the link I provided above to the chat thread. As for your settings problem... go to the main page Tolkien Online and on the left had side you'll see a little menu.. click on the "My Settings" link there, and it should tak you to your settings page.

LadyG
Lady_Galadriel786
Ranger of the North

Postby Evenstar_of_Imladris » Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:14 pm

Marsupial - if you go the Talk forum you'll see a thread titled "The Emporium's Chat Thread - We're WCA Crazy! (see first post)" That's the chat thread we're talking about :)

In order to access your settings you have to be signed into the main page (www.tolkienonline.com). Make sure that you aren't just signed into the forums (forums.tolkienonline.com). :)

Welcome entmaiden_laurelin! :D

Is it okay if we call you Laurel? We already have an Enty on the boards so we don't want any confusion :)

It's easy to be frightened by the size of TORC, but soon enough you'll see that everyone here is really friendly and will help you out. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. That's what I'm here for! :)

Welcome once again and happy posting! :D

*huggles*

Evenstar_of_Imladris
Evenstar_of_Imladris
Ringbearer

Postby entmaiden_laurelin » Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:25 pm

Thank you LadyG and Evie for your respective kind welcomes :) I don't think I have any questions at the moment, but I will surely think of some.

The name laurel is fine - as you say I don't want to cause confusion.
entmaiden_laurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby lady*of*rohan » Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:29 pm

Great Scotts!! :woah:

Thats alot of newbs!

Welcome to each of you and may you have many blessed days here at TORC.

I'm your big e-sis Rohy!!! Just to warn you watch out for pippy she tends to like to throw newbs off of the Carahas!

Huggles :grouphug: :grouphug:
:angel: Rohy
lady*of*rohan
Ranger of the North

Postby MaidenOfTheShieldarm » Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:33 pm

:shock: Another n00b! What's this, four in three days? After we went for about three weeks with nothing going on in here but a bit of lurking. I guess LadyG psyhic messaging technique worked! *applauds*

Welcome, Laurel! :)
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Ranger of the North

Postby Evenstar_of_Imladris » Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:55 pm

Just a side note: If you all haven't checked out the first post, please do so - there is a wealth of knowledge in there and just about as many resources you could ever want for any kind of problem ever :D

Also - if you guys are comfortable with it, I would like it if you could post your birthday, just the month and the day - no year please. We like to celebrate birthdays around here :)

Thanks! :D

Evenstar_of_Imladris
Evenstar_of_Imladris
Ringbearer

Postby entmaiden_laurelin » Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:40 pm

Thank you Rohy and MaidenOfTheShieldarm.

Is there a shorter form of MaidenOfTheShieldarm to be used?

I've now thought of a question: this is called TORC, for TheOneRing.com, yes? So why is the address actually tolkienonline.com?

And my birthday is the 21st of December - the midwinter solstice.

Think that was all I had to say...

Edited due to incapability to spell "birthday"
entmaiden_laurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby MaidenOfTheShieldarm » Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:44 pm

entmaiden_laurelin wrote:I've now thought of a question: this is called TORC, for TheOneRing.com, yes? So why is the address actually tolkienonline.com?

Imi or LadyG or someone will probably correct me on this...but I think it's because TOR.n (theonering.net) claimed that name, and they got to keep it, so we changed to TolkienOnline. By then, however, everyone knew it as TORC...and the name stuck.

And yes, I do have a nickname. Most people seem to use Maiden or Mossy.

Cheers
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Ranger of the North

Postby Evenstar_of_Imladris » Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:49 pm

Actually Mossy - the old domain name was TheOneRing.com, but when they upgraded they got tolkienonline.com. I've never heard that there was a connection between TORN and TORC changing. :)

Thanks Laurel - my birthday's on December 19th - we'll have to have a joint party :D

Evenstar_of_Imladris
Evenstar_of_Imladris
Ringbearer

Postby *Stephanie* » Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:19 pm

Oh my gosh! :shock: What an enthusiastic welcome from everyone for all of us newbies! This is so wonderful! You guys are great and I'm glad I chose to come here!

Thanks for the advice on forums to visit...and I'll certianly check out the first post of this thread, as suggested.

Here's my b-day! May 1st.

Stephanie
*Stephanie*
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Shylah » Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:20 pm

Hey everybody - Wow!! Two more newbies!!!! Welcome Marsupial and Laurel! :D

I hope you both have many happy hours at TORC and look forward to getting to know you better!

My birthday is August 4th.

Huggles everyone!!

Shylah
Shylah
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Evenstar_of_Imladris » Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:03 pm

Thanks for the dates you two - I'll go add them to the first post when I'm done writing this :)

Our chat thread in the Talk forum has hit the 2,000 post limit so the third edition is up and running. Here's the link:

The Emporium's Chat Thread - Third time's the charm!

:)

Evenstar_of_Imladris
Evenstar_of_Imladris
Ringbearer

Postby Marsupial » Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:04 am

My b-day is the 16th day of the 1st month of the best year ever.

I'll try and go see the chat forum, thanks.

:-D
Marsupial
Shield Bearer

Postby Evenstar_of_Imladris » Thu Nov 18, 2004 10:28 am

Thanks Marsupial :D

See ya over at the chat thread! :)

Evenstar_of_Imladris
Evenstar_of_Imladris
Ringbearer

Postby Shieldmaiden_pippin » Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:09 pm

Hello to the..THREE new...n00bs...B^

*huggles to all*

I'm one of your (multiple) e-sises. You can call me Pippy, or Pip, but I won't name the nicknames you shan't call me by because that'd be tempting you to do so...so I'll just let you figure them out on your own.

And for old times sakes (I don't know why I let this tradition drop): *pushes all three of the n00bs off of Caradhras without any saftey cords or anything...**cringes as they hit the bottom of the mountain*...Now you're officially initiated. *cheesy grin*

Mouthy...oh so true. *runs off to the chat threat..er..thread...*

Pippy
Shieldmaiden_pippin
Ranger of the North

Postby Marsupial » Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:32 pm

Another question...

what is this thinggy I have on the top right part of my screen: "my favorites" and "my buddies"????
Marsupial
Shield Bearer

PreviousNext

Return to Adoption Attic