Satch and Elwen's Gingerbread house of n00bly love part 3!!1

Adoption threads that have reached the 500 postcount limit are stored here. Note: threads in this Archive forum are Read Only.

Satch and Elwen's Gingerbread house of n00bly love part 3!!1

Postby satch and elwen » Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:09 pm

Hello and welcome to TORC! As you can see, this is a very large site, and can be somewhat intimidating for the newer posters. That's where we come in. We're here to answer any of your questions and give you our advice.

Okay now for the not so boring stuff. Let us introduce ourselves:

Hey, I’m Satch, and I live in England. Yes I'm scary. I’ve read the Hobbit, FotR and TTT, but I’m waiting to see RotK before I finish the trilogy, but I’ve ‘read’ the Silmarilion, so I’m not entirely clueless, like Elwen would like you to believe.

And I’m Elwen, Satch’s American partner in crime. I’ve read LotR and the Hobbit 3 or so times, and about half of the Unfinished Tales and the Sil. I have a good memory for useless things, so if you want to know any random facts I’m the one to ask. Satch’s memory isn’t so good, I shudder when I think of what it’ll be like when she’s old and grey.

Elwen’s main forums: Movies (LotR), The Bird and the Baby (talk)
Satch’s main forums: Movies (LotR), The Bird and the Baby (talk), Languages.

Forums that we lurk/sometimes post in: Philosophy, Books (Tolkien), Books (Other), Events, A Tolkien Virgin, Movies (Fandom), Movies (Other), Tom’s House, Languages, Alliances and Guilds, Writing, and of course The One Ring and Premiere Membership Support.

Italic forums Elwen lurks in, Bold are forums we both lurk in, and normal is Satch.

And if you need to get in contact with us:

E-mail/MSN: Schpeckle@hotmail.com and Elwenoni@hotmail.com
AIM: Satchmoochen and Elwenoni

If you can’t figure out who is who then tough luck!

---

I'll continue to edit this as our little family grows, if I can be bothered to sign out and into this account:

Our Adoptees
The_Rogue
motorwife
Sock_Wearing_Troll
Endoras_the_WoodElf
Moriquendi13
TheFlamingMullet
Wynken21
Eliad_Drilken
elrin
HalyconDunedain
elvenladyarcher
Sawen
hobbitbychoice

Our friends*
Mighty_Squid
GandalfStormcrow
Ranewen_the_pink
$mAug_dRagYn
Rodia
Tookish_Traveler_Teh_Smelleh
brambleroseGamgee
Farawen

*AKA people we pretend to like so we can get more posts in our thread. *thumbs up*

NOTE: After every 500 posts, we will start a new thread. This is the THIRD! in our wonderful candy house.
Last edited by satch and elwen on Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
satch and elwen
Petitioner to the Council

Postby satch and elwen » Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:10 pm

Okay it’s time for the long post. We have basic rules and things you need to know here, but if you don’t bother reading it we understand. I suggest reading the first section though (we kindly separated it by lines for you because it was so long).

You will soon realize that TORC isn’t as perfect as it looks. The people in charge work very hard to keep TORC a good and clean place, and that requires the help of each and every poster. Working behind the scenes are the two admin, Ted and Jon. Now there are two new admin, InnocentEvil and CrispyCreme. We also have moderators, and you can find a list and their emails here. Their job is to patrol the boards and make sure everybody is following the Terms of Service, or TOS. There is always a link on the upper right hand corner of every page on TORC. This TOS is not like one that you would find when signing up for an online game site or an email address, this one is short and to the point, and it is HIGHLY recommended that you read it, in fact SO highly recommended that we are going to summarize it here for you. Think of them as the rules of the boards:

No spamming. Spamming is when you post pointless things that waste time and space. Starting a thread saying ‘I’m bored’ is a good example, or *bump*ing a thread. Spamming is also advertising for other websites. You can post a link to a website that you like, but we don’t want to see obvious advertisement. Another form of spam is replying to your own post, which is generally frowned upon here. If you make a mistake in a post or you want to add something you can just push the ‘edit’ button at the bottom of your post and change it.

No Flaming (or trolling, which is only added because Satch is a *$^@&#). That would be personal attacks. It’s good to get in debates with people, but you should be debating the topic, not calling the person a two headed ugly Satch or something.

No profanity or sexual innuendo. This is a family friendly site, so theoretically people of all ages should be able to enjoy posting here. Profanity is the easiest way to get yourself in a lot of trouble with the admin and mods. Blocking out words with *’s are also not allowed. The general rule for profanity is if you can recognize what the word is, it shouldn’t be there. The easiest way to be safe is just not to swear. Sexual innuendo you will see used sometimes, and that isn’t allowed either, mostly for the younger posters on our board, even though we know that’s almost all that high school students talk about.

No Netspeak. we dun wanna c postz lik diz because itz rlly hard 2 read nad sum people wud say itz an insult 2 tolkien and itz rlly annoyin and specially hard 2 read 4 people hoo dun speak english az a 1st language. (By the way you may see some people posting with a bit of netspeak (mostly just a !!111 at the end of a sentence though), generally in movies and by older posters. It’s used as a joke, and can be quite funny).

If you’re under 18, for your own safety you are not supposed to supply your town name, age, or name.

If you use any of these things above you can (and probably) will be sent an email by a moderator, which we call a warning, and your post will be edited. Take the warnings seriously, because it doesn’t take a lot of them to be banned, and we don’t want you guys to be kicked off the site. Obviously I haven’t covered everything in the TOS, yet my summary is probably still longer.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before you start posting, I’d recommend just lurking through some forums for a start to see what they’re like and where you’d like to post. If you want to take a look at the forums we have, click here.

Movies-Fandom and Tom’s House are more light hearted forums with word games and what we call sw00ning (which would be something like “Oh Elwen I love you! *sw000000000n*” )

Alliances and Guilds is home to various “clubs” which are based around or dedicated to Tolkien. Take a look at the thread on the top of the main page to see if there are any guilds you may like to join.

The Role Playing forums, The Pony (Tolkien’s Middle Earth) and The Green Dragon Inn (Tolkien influenced) are generally pretty serious places and do not take kindly to spam or needless posts if you’re not part of the RP, so check out the welcome threads in there if you’d like to join one of them. The Welcome forum has The Lucky Fortune Inn which is where anyone can go and role play if they don’t feel confident joining a serious RP yet.

Books Tolkien and Books Other are for discussions of books, surprise surprise.

Languages is where you can go if you want to learn one of Tolkien’s languages or just ask something about a language. Please PLEASE do not start any irrelevant threads in there because I will take it to heart. …I’m not kidding though.

And last but not least of this brief *ahem* summary of the forums on TORC, is Movies - LotR which is a delightfully sarcastic forum dedicated to the discussion of the Movies (technically) but if you go in there posting away without seriously taking a look around, they will eat you. You have been warned. My advice is to lurk in there for at LEAST a week before actually posting, but 2-3 weeks is advisable.

Anyways, the rest of the forums kinda summarise themselves, so have a great time looking around. If you want to post something look to see if there’s a thread which you could post in which is relevant, if you can see anything then use the search function to make sure you’re not about to post a duplicate or already well talked about thread.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want to know who the moderators of the board are, click here.

Some things people often want to know when they first join TORC (that stands for theonering.com which is the old link to the site, although it still works) is how to do smileys:

:D = : D
:) = : )
:( = : (
:? = : ?
8) = 8 )
:x = : x
:P = : P
:oops: = : oops:
:roll: = : roll:
;) = : wink: ; )
:Q = : Q
=:) = = : )
>-O = > - O
:angry: = : angry:
:nono: = : nono:
:rofl: = : rofl:
:| = : |
:o = : o
:shock: = : shock:
:lol: = : lol:
:cry: = : cry:
:evil: = : evil:
:twisted: = : twisted:
:woah: = : woah:
:zzz: = : zzz:
:doh: = : doh:
:thppt: = : thppt:
:angel: = : angel:
:argue: = : argue:
:grouphug: = : grouphug:
:lightening: = : lightening:
:horse: = : horse:
:bang: = : bang:
:pull: = : pull:
:!: = : !:
:?: = : ?:
:idea: = : idea:
:arrow: = : arrow:
:ban: = : ban:
:TORC: = : TORC:
:lock: = : lock:

People also ask what the titles under your user name are, and they are as follows:

Petitioner to the Council – 0 posts
Citizen of Imladris - 20 posts
Shield Bearer – 100 posts
Rider of the Mark - 500 posts
Ranger of the North - 1,000 posts
Mariner - 5,000 posts
Ringbearer - 10,000 posts
(custom titles can be made if you buy Premiere Memebership)

For a certain amount of posts, you get a symbol above your username. The more posts you get, the more symbols you get and "upgrade" to newer ones, so on and so forth (For more information, look at Tookish_Spammer to see what it looks like to have so many :);)).

For every 10 posts you get a sword.
For every 50 posts you get a shiny diamond (or maybe a Silmaril. It has been debated...)
For every 100 posts you get a red boobie shield.
For every 500 posts you get a Rohan shield.
For every 1000 posts you get a Gondor shield.
For every 5000 shield you get a mariner ...thing (the word is lost to me right now :roll:.)
And for every 10,000 you get a one ring. (There's now many one rings rolling about the boards. Pure madness...)

Aaaaaanyways, after this insanely long ramble about various parts of TORC I’d like to first thank Blackwood for the couple of things I *cough* borrowed from one of his lengthy threads, and erm… welcome to TORC. :D

(Oh and :thppt: :thppt: :thppt: :thppt: :thppt: to Tooks.)
Last edited by satch and elwen on Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
satch and elwen
Petitioner to the Council

Postby elrin » Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:59 pm

yes i'm first :thppt: i completely forgot about the whole 500 post thingy

lol i like the first post on the end aww tooks

yay new smiley thingys i like the :thppt: and the :bang: he he he
elrin
Ranger of the North

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:45 am

Oh, like I don't know who wrote THAT post.

:P :) :thppt:
Tookish_Traveler
Party-monger

Postby satch » Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:36 am

Tookish_Traveler wrote:

Oh, like I don't know who wrote THAT post.

That's been there for AGES. Keep up lady, keep up.

:roll: Darn slow foreigners :roll:...
satch
Mariner

Postby eLwEnaReDhEl » Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:39 am

So, to show how I don't spend much time here anymore, I decided to copy this:

elwen: why did tooks restart our thread??
satch: ?
satch: she didn't
elwen: she did too!!!
*pause*
elwen: oh
elwen: read the wrong column
elwen: whoops

Okay, so that was majorly edited. But you get the point. I think that means I need to spend more time here. So here I am. Yayyyy0rz!!!11

I've been doing completely legal things during my time away from TORC, in case anybody was wondering...

Oh, I wrote that post Tooks.

:P
eLwEnaReDhEl
Mariner

Postby TheFlamingMullet » Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:34 am

Ahh, I feel bad because I really can't keep up here anymore :( I think I'm probably going to duck out for awhile until I can get regular internet acess. It was nice getting know all of you and I'll still be lurking when I can:D

P.S. Tooks, please keep Hugh, forever=:)
TheFlamingMullet
Shield Bearer

Postby eLwEnaReDhEl » Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:25 pm

I just watched 'Freaky Friday' with my sister.

I've decided I love that movie.

:P

And being a rock star might not be too bad. It's so sad when you see such accomplished people that are younger than you are. Like those damn 15 year old ice skaters. I mean, honestly!

*beats stupid gymnasts and ice skaters*

And look at me! I can't even spell 'accomplished'! Does it have one or two C's? :P

Wow, two posts in one day. Three overall. I'd say this is a new record for me!

(that's coming from the ex-fandomer who at one point in time had an average of 20 posts per day ;))
eLwEnaReDhEl
Mariner

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:32 am

eLwEn teh backstabber wrote:Oh, I wrote that post Tooks.

HA! I see who my friends are now!!!

Looks around.....

FlamingWildHair wrote:P.S. Tooks, please keep Hugh, forever

See? There's my good friend! :)
Tookish_Traveler
Party-monger

Postby $mAug_dRagYn » Fri Jul 02, 2004 6:17 pm

Fun sucker :wink:

What you mean like Hilary Duff? :bang: She's evil. EVIL AND DEMONIC AND ALL THINGS UNGODLY! :evil:
$mAug_dRagYn
Ranger of the North

Postby elrin » Sat Jul 03, 2004 11:52 am

lol smaug, she stole my man :bang:, aaron carter, she stole him bwha ha ha ha okay i'm done, but he was mine. my walls are covered in his face. i have all his cds, cept two. i have pictures.

so freaky friday is good elwen. has anyone seen signs i'm a little scared to watch it.

elwen i wouldn't mind being a rock star either. i've got the voice and i just need the talent of playing a guitar. i think you got it right.

before i go i have to say one more thing HAPPY 4TH OF JULY :thppt: he he he i really like that face
elrin
Ranger of the North

Postby eLwEnaReDhEl » Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:25 pm

Smaug, I made my sister rewind so I could hear 'fun sucker!' again :D

Tooks, Satch wrote that post as well :P
eLwEnaReDhEl
Mariner

Postby Sawen » Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:21 am

I'm confused now. First new thread and now weird continuation of the conversation I wasn't following... Oooops...
SO how's everybody? I'm currently happily posting in the World Domination Thread. I don't have much else to do... I'm so bored!

Sorry about the rambling.... :D

Sawen
Sawen
Rider of the Mark

Postby Farawen » Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:58 am

Ahem.

I couldn't help but notice that I'm not on the friends list.

While Tooks is, may I add.

This can only mean one thing:

I don't smell enough to be on that list.

Alright.

Will work on that.
Farawen
Ranger of the North

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:54 am

Faraween wrote:Ahem.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

hee, hee, hee....

...pokes Faraween...
Tookish_Traveler
Party-monger

Postby elrin » Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:52 pm

hey sawen i'm fine how are you

elwen, i like that. fun sucker, i just might start sayin that. i seriously need to watch that movie.
elrin
Ranger of the North

Postby Sawen » Sat Jul 10, 2004 1:20 am

I'm fine too, elrin... Apart from the threats of sacrifice and the shredding in the m00bies forum... :D

Sawen
Sawen
Rider of the Mark

Postby elrin » Sat Jul 10, 2004 5:45 pm

wow sawen sounds fun, sacrifice hmm sounds really fun. its like scooby in scooby doo on spooky island. i love that movie. i love scooby. i want a great dane.
elrin
Ranger of the North

Postby Sawen » Sun Jul 11, 2004 8:14 am

Actually I'm going to leave the m00bies forum... I'm better off in the Lighter Side... :(
Sawen
Sawen
Rider of the Mark

Postby holbytla » Sun Jul 11, 2004 5:37 pm

Ahem.

Yeah, neither am I. Whats up with that?
Silly Elnew. :roll:
holbytla
Ranger of the North

Postby Farawen » Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:17 am

Hey holby, I think I have an idea.

How about we just ask them to adopt us? =:)
Farawen
Ranger of the North

Postby satch » Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:47 am

Never gonna happen Farawen my sweet, never gonna happen. :P

Sawen, move away from the light. You don't wanna go to Tom's, you want to stay in the loveliness (;)) of the Movies Forum.

...So where's everyone gone eh? I know I don't post much here but that's because I'm incompetant. What's your reason hmm?? *Looks around sternly*
satch
Mariner

Postby elrin » Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:30 am

satch, i've been busy. i'm goin to summer camp in two weeks. i really need to get rid of my parents. :roll:

i might lurk in movies a little. i heard of this really cool movie the village coming out the 31st. looks cool. plus there's alien vrs predator. its alien all the way. :P
elrin
Ranger of the North

Postby Sawen » Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:03 am

It's not that I don't want to go to the m00bies forum - it's part of external agreement with Ed. She doesn't want me there and so I'm retreating to forums that she is not actively part of - ergo the Lighter Side. Anyway, I've made some friends there so why leave? :D

Sawen
Sawen
Rider of the Mark

Postby elrin » Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:19 am

how true why leave. like why leave the air conditioning to 90 degree weather. i ain't leaving very soon. its hot here.

how's everyone doin this lovely day. i'm bored out of my mind can't ya tell
elrin
Ranger of the North

Postby eLwEnaReDhEl » Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:09 pm

Alright I was *going* too add all of you that think you qualify as friends so you would all shut up; but for some reason I can't get on that account.

Did you change the password Satchny?

Pfft.

So how are you all doing? And how is TORC doing?

And how is movies?

And dare I ask, how is fandom? Is it safe to go in there Smaug? How are teh nazgul and the Bakshi threads? They are teh preciousful ones!!!!!111

Had enough computer time for one day...now time to study and then go to work.

*rolls eyes*
eLwEnaReDhEl
Mariner

Postby elrin » Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:18 pm

awwwww the awful W word. i feel for you elwen.

i almost called my mom a fun sucker lol. seriously she wouldn't let me go some where and i almost did. i was thinking it and then decided not to. i didn't want to get in anymore trouble then i was already in.

so how's torc doin. well i gotta go must lurk somewhere
elrin
Ranger of the North

Postby eLwEnaReDhEl » Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:07 pm

Ah but I like my job, so it's all good :P
eLwEnaReDhEl
Mariner

Postby $mAug_dRagYn » Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:01 pm

*coughhenrycough* :wink:

Fandom? :shock: Er..it's great! *cheesy smile* O wait they have an emoticon for that.. :lol: There we are. Actually haven't been there. Recently. Or at all. Haven't been anywhere. Yay me! I wouldn't say it's safe. The safelessness of it ..Bakshi..Bakshi Bakshi Bakshi..ah the poor man.

And as for the Nazgul..undoubtedly buried. Buuuuuurieeeeed!

We need to revive it. Revive it with teh poppies!!11
$mAug_dRagYn
Ranger of the North

Postby elrin » Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:29 pm

smaug and to think i just got down watchin the wizard of oz. the poppies. i hate the witch.

anywho how is everyone i'm dandy candy. i'm hyper hee hee. too many oreos
elrin
Ranger of the North

Next

Return to Adoption Attic