The Players of Bree

Adoption threads that have reached the 500 postcount limit are stored here. Note: threads in this Archive forum are Read Only.

Postby EdaintheRanger » Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:03 pm

Sitting at a nearby table the young ranger was just giving Areanor some hints on how to improve one of her latest posts, when a new yet familar person stepped tentatively into the new Adoptions guild.

"Excuse me," he murmured to his pupil.

As he stood he had to fight hard to suppress a feral, delighted grin that threatened to cross his face. Nevertheless his eyes crinkled with warmth, as he beamed a smile of greeting to the somewhat fierce looking, archer.

"Welcome to our home, I hope you can make one of yours here on Torc." he said.

Then taking a sidelong glance at Leoba's gleefullness, Edain had to surpress a second chuckle, behind his hand.

"Aye, please grab some of the refreshments, and tell us more about Berhael. Or what RP ideas that are buzzing in your mind..."
EdaintheRanger
Ranger of the North

Postby areanor » Sat Sep 04, 2004 2:14 pm

Areanor was discussing the old ever-valid question with her mentor: What would Richard Sharpe do in this situation? :P when a new face showed up in the café.

Ah, Berhael, long time no see. Good to meet you here among the Players. I'm looking forward to see you RPing.

A sharp (sic!) glance from Alandriel let her remember her duties.

So, take a seat, what can I offer you? A cappuccino? Latte macchiato? Vino Rojo muy viejo? Vinho Branco muito jovem? Sherry?

And while waiting for the new arrivals to make their choice, she shuffled some sheets and some pencils around the table.

Laptops are over there. Have fun while plotting.
areanor
Ranger of the North

Postby Berhael » Sun Sep 05, 2004 11:37 am

I feel at home already. :D

The fierce archer of the downward year, who had remained asleep for what seemed like (and probably was) years, was stirring back to life again. In her veins throbbed a thirst for adventure, and her fingers itched, ready to take up the bow, or the pencil (or the laptop).

I'll have a sherry, bitte, Areanor! And would it be possible to have some cheese and bread with it, please? I need to gather my strength, before launching into this new adventure...
Berhael
Mariner

Postby nienor-niniel » Sun Sep 05, 2004 12:43 pm

First, as your wish is my command:

Bread and cheese for Berhael - and now to plot in peace, have we forgotten the company of the sweet and calm truehobbit. (Hopefully she will belive the flattery and let me the champagne....) Why is it all the Germans offering food and drink in this thread?

The hour is late to answer your post, teurer Hobbit, but it is never too late for you to dive deeply in the worlds of RP and to write us a true hobbit... I know you know most of us, and I have even seen you get your hairy toes just a little wet in the Pony. Maybe we can seduce to some more? Or only to diving in the champagne bottle?
nienor-niniel
Ranger of the North

Postby truehobbit » Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:42 pm

Hearing her name, truehobbit was roused from the half-sleep she had fallen into, sitting in an armchair in the corner, the tray with glasses filled with Champagne still on her lap.

Huh? What? - Oh, I remember. Yes, I'd come to say hi.

Looking at the useless tray, a little frown formed on her forehead.

Well, the Champagne is all stale now I guess.

But putting the tray aside, and looking around to see who had woken her, she saw nienor's sweet face smiling at her. Immediately the frown dissolved into a happy smile, she hopped off the armchair and went to greet her friend with a hug.

Well, the Champagne may be stale, but there's always chocolates in my bag, she said and took a package of Belgian nougats from her bag.
It's true, I know most people here - apart from Hunter She shot a shy glance in Hunter's direction and waved her hand a little Personally even, or otherwise pretty well, which is why I peeked in in the first place.
I am most flattered by the invitation to be seduced. I have indeed got my feet wet, but as you know, we hobbits can hardly be convinced to venture onto the open sea - it just isn't our element. Although we enjoy our baths immensely!

She winked at nienor, meaning to say that she would always a enjoy a little RPing, but would hardly become a full-time RPer.

Of which she was also reminded by the sight of Impenitent. She could hardly look at her without blushing.

Ahem, yes - I guess there are a few things I should be doing, RP-wise.
But it's nice to see you all here - well, I've got to get to bed now, I'm afraid - good night, all!
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby Ilyda » Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:33 am

Wow! I'm very impressed. I know most of you. Alandriel, Din, Imp, Edain, Leoba, Nin. The only one I don't really know is Hunter (sorry! :cry:) I can change that, though.

I'm a bit of a newbie! Who lurked for 6 months. And is a writer in her spare time. :roll: 8) Oh, nevermind.

areanor - Since you're offering, I'll have a malt beer and a black coffee please! :D

Shira - I really haven't breached the door of the Green Dragon, but I can only echo what has already been said. However, I do have one addition. You claim that your chara has innate magic and is trying to get away from his master. What sort of impact do those factors (alone or in combination) have on how he is treated and how he views life? Psychological issues can become major weaknesses in a crisis.
Just throwing my two cents in on this one too! Sounds like you have a very good start.

Good luck you guys! Can I get a seat in the audience too? :angel:
Ilyda
Ranger of the North

Postby Impenitent » Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:14 pm

Ack! I've just realised that I haven't been getting post notifications to this thread - which is why I haven't shown my face for so long. I was blissfully unaware that this flurry of posts had occurred. :oops:

Nice to see you Areanor (and nice to meet you, too ;) ); and truehobbit, dear old friend (and I'll have the bubbly - it never goes stale here you know due to TORC magic. And have you seen the new player in the Sea Wolves yet? :D); and Janus. I really should have been a better host earlier. I offer no excuses; I'm thoroughly ashamed.

Shirayuki, I'm very happy you found the advice helpful - makes the job worthwhile. :D

Hello Berhael. I feel I know you, though I don't think we've directly exchanged a word - it's all been in passing. But so lovely to have finally have the opportunity to get to know you properly! I look forward to the RP enormously!

Hello also to Ilyda. :) Are you here to be adopted? We have seven adopters you see, and we're impatient to each get our claws onto an newb---- errr :shock: ;) :P. Allow me to rephrase. We do so enjoy sharing around what knowledge and skills we have acquired over the years with those who are newly entering the RP world.

Ilyda, I also reluctantly caution you about offering specific advice in the any adoption thread (not just this one). The administrators are rigorous in demanding that only those who have been formally approved as adopters offer advice to adoptees. They draw that line very clearly, because they want to ensure that the official adopters are entirely responsible for the information provided in the thread - there's a rigorous process involved and we have to agree at the outset that we will toe the line.

I'll be wandering in more regularly now that I know not to rely on the subscriptions, so hopefully I won't miss out on the action or the chocolates, drinkies and other nibbles henceforth. ;)
Impenitent
Rider of the Mark

Postby Ilyda » Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:48 pm

Impenitent - Thank you very much. I will be sure to adhere to that rule in the future. I bow to the knowledge and experience of those older than I. (I suspect I ought to do that more often.)

My apologies to the owners of this thread. Mods - Please don't hurt me! :angel:

As to the topic of adoption...I was adopted once, but sadly, the Humble Abode of Gandalf Stormcrow is no more. :cry: Which would be how I ended up at the Orphanage. Does that mean I've been claimed already? I'm so confused now. Ack is about right, Impi!

However,...if it's not too much trouble (and since you're all trying to get your claws into someone's hide), I could try to drag a friend of mine in here. He's a D&D addict, but I've finally tempted him to TORC. I think. Anyway, how does real, live, and fresh newbie sound to you?

I will stick with my original congratulations and my best wishes for all seven of you!
Ilyda
Ranger of the North

Postby Leoba » Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:16 am

Thanks Impenitent. :):D

Hi Ilyda. Thanks for the congratulations; though the logic of being congratulated for agreeing to do hard work :D escapes me. ;):P I think it's safe to conclude that you are well on your TORC road, with or without much adopter attention! ;), but you know where to come should you ever need anything. ;)

And please, don't feel any need to 'drag' a friend in here. 'Tis my experience (and believe me, I've tried to and recruited more than enough people), that you can't 'make' people stick here though you can do your best to help them find a comfy niche. However, if he's feeling new and lost and if, after looking at the adopter lists, decides that we might best suit; well then, it's what we're here for. ;)
Leoba
Mariner

Location: Troubadour of Ithilien, dwelling within sight of Weathertop

Postby Impenitent » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:04 pm

Just checking in...I've not heard a squeak from this little cottage in awhile and I was suspicious that perhaps I'd been missing subscription emails...but no, we're just being a little quite.

Cool 8) <---see? Cool! :D
Impenitent
Rider of the Mark

Postby Dindraug » Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:07 am

Impenitent wrote:Just checking in...I've not heard a squeak from this little cottage in awhile and I was suspicious that perhaps I'd been missing subscription emails...but no, we're just being a little quite.

Cool 8) <---see? Cool! :D

I think RL took off a bit...or that's my excuse. :shock: . I am still working on the intro post for Bree in 1407, and guidelines for the sort of characters we want. It's actually quite hard to get the balance, but that is what we are doing it for, balance and learning. Even I need to learn ( :roll: ...my ego is not quite as big as that sounds).

Still need to work on a few bits for the OCC as well, just to bait the trap- *cough* I mean attract in willing newbies to RP to Bree. I mean you can only go so far with Angmarian spies, the gathering storm of war, the evil curse that waits undisturbed for centuries until somebody disturbs- no that will be telling.

Ummm, so any of our lurkers even a tinsy winsy bit intrigued :D

I mean, those chickens misbehaving in Old Ma Oakfoot's orchard, that must be for some reason, and who is the masked rider seen on the East Road?
Dindraug
Ranger of the North

Postby Impenitent » Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:52 am

Hi Dindraug :D I wasn't hinting...in fact, I was merely covering my behind, as I'm painfully aware I've been MIA alot lately.

...and now you bring it up, I've been a little worried about those chickens...the coop at the back of the King's Rest seems to be experiencing an insurrection too. ;) wink wink, nudge nudge...say no more!

So who do we have with us wanting to dip toes in the RP waters? Our sweetest catch of all Berhael... waves: "hello Ber!" ...and many well wishers? I seem to recall a few bites at the bait back at the Orphanage too. It's looking fruitful. :)
Impenitent
Rider of the Mark

Postby Hunter » Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:42 am

In the corner by the fireplace, Hunter lifted her head from the arm of the chair. She had dozed off, perhaps because of the warmth of the room and the cozy atmosphere, but the more likely reason was the effect of the champagne, which she had imbibed too much of. Stretching lazily and smiling a bit sheepishly, she looked around the room. More people had arrived since she’d dozed off.

“Hello Berhael, and welcome to our humble abode,” she greeted the archer and added a welcome to Janus, Shirayuki, and Ilyda, wondering if any of them would be joining the upcoming adventure. She laughed to herself at Ilyda’s remark about not knowing Hunter; it was the third (or was it the fourth) time someone had said this same time. ‘I guess that’s what I should expect for spending the majority of my time in the Pony.’ Then she saw True Hobbit’s shy wave and had to chuckle to herself at the Nin’s and True’s remarks about role-playing.

Ahh! The water’s of Role-playing! They lap at a person’s toes, the cool water feeling so refreshing, tempting people to immerse themselves in them further and further--until suddenly they find themselves adrift on the open seas. Sometimes it’s smooth sailing with calm water and gentle breezes, but there are also the dreaded doldrums when a person would just about sell their soul for the slightest hint of inspiration (or a paddle!) to get their vessels sailing once again. And there are the storms, fierce winds and treacherous waves that threaten to pull a person down into the depths of the ocean. That’s when role-players must find the strength (or wits!) to overcome the tide until they see themselves safe again in calmer waters.

‘And it’s so enjoyable,’ Hunter thought, and then spied the pencils and paper the Areanor had scattered around the room. She couldn’t resist, and besides, hadn’t Dindraug mentioned something about 500 to 1000 words? Clearing her head from the last lingering effects of the champagne, she reached for the nearby tablet and was soon immersed in writing.

Dindraug wrote:

I think RL took off a bit...or that's my excuse. . I am still working on the intro post for Bree in 1407...

Hey, that was my excuse for not checking in here more often! ;)
Hunter
Ranger of the North

Postby Berhael » Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:26 am

RL is a female of the canine species sometimes, isn't it. :(

Hello Impenitent! :) As you say, we have never been formally introduced, but I know of you through friends and have seen you post on the boards often, under this and your previous incarnation. :) I briefly dropped by the Kitten Heels Lounge, and we've posted a little in the same threads in Movies, if I recall correctly. But let me take this chance to say "well met" formally. :)

Elen síla lúmenn' omentielvo.

Well my kind adopters, after a couple of hectic weeks at work I finally find myself in possession of that prized good... free time. :D So I'm good to go, whenever you think is the right time. :)
Berhael
Mariner

Postby Lhaewin » Sun Oct 03, 2004 1:08 am

*tap, tap, tap* Lhaewin knocks on the door very cautiously, after she had peered through the keyhole.

Nienor has seduced me into RP, can I find a start here? And a bunch of helpful adopters who tolerate someone who is likely to ask loads of questions and will probably need some help with the language?

*waves to everyone and remains standing on the threshold*
Lhaewin
Ranger of the North

Postby Ellehcim » Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:13 pm

Hello everyone. :) Let me intorduce myself. My name is Ellehcim, and I am in dire need of being adopted. I was reading this thread and you guys sound like a fun bunch. I would just like to say that I love to talk and am looking for people to get to know better. I have a few questions, but not very many, at least for now. Oh yeah, and I've gone into the Lucky Fortunes Inn RP a couple times, but I don't think I'm a very good RPer, so I could use some tips. Anyway, hello and I'm glad I found you guys because, again, you sound really fun! :D
Ellehcim
Ranger of the North

Postby nienor-niniel » Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:03 am

Welcome and come in Lhaewin and ellehcim,

If you have any questions about RP or are interested in starting to take part in one, this is certainly the right thread. If you like to talk, ellechim, you can also look into the Bird and the Baby, where quite a lot of us hang around in a thread called : Orphans in Exile (I will try to make a link, but I'm at school, so my time is limited).

Lhaewin :D - good that you knocked on the door.

I know Lhaewin from the German thread, where she has talked about the fact that she writes fanfiction (how about a link or two ;)) and told that RP could interest her... but that an entire thread to read is sooooo long, and that many aspects of RP are still mysterious to her (correct me if i'm wrong Lhaewin). Even if I feel that many is still mysterious to me too, I have hinted subtly (or not so subtly) that for any questions about RP, the best place is here, and that you don't bite.

It would be nice to know a bit more about both of you (I'm hopelessly curious).... and ask whatever you like.

Me for instance, I would like to know when the MC Dindraug will be back from his holidays and when we can stretch out our claws eh... helping hands... to start with the RP...

Dindraug?
nienor-niniel
Ranger of the North

Postby Leoba » Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:14 am

Hi Nin. :) This is as good a place as any to say that we're back. :D;) Din's at work (whilst I skive another day off!) and has tasked me with proof-reading some OOC stuff, with intent to get that thread up this week. So expect to see me round and about today and him later. ;)

lhaewin, welcome. :):D A link or two to any of your fan fiction would be wonderful. ;) As for RP, I can only echo Nin and say you've come to a good place. Have you got any thoughts for a character? Are you wanting to find a thread to get into? Have you got your feet wet inthe Lucky Fortune? Have you got any questions, before I smother you with mine? :P:)

Ellehcim, I think you can safely consider youself adopted. :) As Nin said, you'd be most welcome over at the Orphans, if you want to get to know some chatterbox RPers. There is a link in the first post of this thread. :) What sort of character have you been writing over in the Lucky Fortune? So... what were those questions? :D

Berhael, for an Elf you are mightily impatient... which is wonderful to see. :) I hope my message above helps soothe your itching quill-hand - we should be able to get this Bree RP rolling very shortly. Oh and you know, in the interim, it would be fabulous to see some background on your character. :D:D
Leoba
Mariner

Postby Lhaewin » Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:52 am

Thanks for the warm welcome Nin and Leoba. I haven´t been to the Lucky Fortune yet, I am afraid I even have to ask what this is. :oops:

I would like to start into a RP thread and I haven´t yet thought about a character - maybe a hobbit? Is it necessary to create another TORC ID? And is there a kind of starting point for the plot - is there any plot at all?

I can introduce myself a bit. I am from Germany, married, two children (one is already grown up). I am working as a midwife and yes, I write a bit fanfiction. I am not keen on shameless plugging and if you really want to read it, Nin or I can give you the links. Any constructive criticism is welcome - of course, you can also let a review on the site.

You want to smother me with questions? Go ahead. :)

Nin your hints were at least clear enough to drag me into this thread. ;) I also told Nin that I usually have an English beta-writer for my fanfiction. She corrects my mistakes, gives some hints and helps out with expressions and I hope there is anyone among you I can ask in an email or on a messenger, if I have problems.

That´s all for the moment, I am curious what is awaiting us Newbies. *waves to Ellehcim, Berhael and all others out there*
Lhaewin
Ranger of the North

Postby Alandriel » Mon Oct 04, 2004 6:20 am

Let me say my welcome too to lhaewin and Ellehcim :)
As Nin and Leoba have said already, you've found the best thread to ask away anything, especially RP related stuff. Make yourselfs at home and pop over to the Orphans thread in talk if you want to socialize and generally chat – it's a favourite hangout of many an RPer.

Ilhaewin: The Lucky Fortune Inn you can find in the Welcome Forum. It's an Inn run by Master Erinhue, a longstanding member of these boards and Master Bard of the Bard's guild. Have a read of the first page or so and then just dive in. Join the crowd or have a drink at the bar, say hello to someone and see what happens. It takes a bit of guts but don't worry. The folks in there are very nice and accommodating to new players.
As to starting an RP thread yourself, although there are no rules against doing so let me advise you against it – for the time being only that is. Get your feet wet first in an existing RP (and/or the LFI meaning Lucky Fortune Inn). Maybe you'd be interested to join our RP which, according to Leoba now :D:D shall be soon kicking off. My advise is: get a bit of experience under your skin before you start an adventure on your own. Being a thread-mistress of an RP thread is quite a responsibility :wink:
Last edited by Alandriel on Mon Oct 04, 2004 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alandriel
Ranger of the North

Postby Lhaewin » Mon Oct 04, 2004 6:44 am

Hello Alandriel, thank you for the links I will have a look at them. I didn´t mean to start an RP thread myself, this was a misunderstanding. I´d like to get into the new RP Leoba and Nin are talking about.
Lhaewin
Ranger of the North

Postby Leoba » Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:05 am

lhaewin wrote:I´d like to get into the new RP Leoba and Nin are talking about.

You will be most welcome I'm sure. :) The first step in that will be us adopters getting the out of character thread up so you guys can see what the plot premise is (Bree 1407, just before the war with Angmar). From that point, hopefully character ideas will spark. ;) Then the concept we were working on is to team each RP newcomer up with a more experienced RPer, for support and silly questions. And for the rest, watch this space and wait for a link! I can tell you now that a Hobbit would be a really interesting option - Third Age Bree when Hobbits were just starting to migrate west.

In the interim, the Lucky Fortune is a great place to play around. :) There's a good mix of old and new in there at the moment. Unfortunately, my character is still recovering from an interminable poisoning episode, but she should be out and about before too long!

As for proof-reading for English spelling and grammar, please feel free to use me for that anytime. I already do it for a few folk pretty regularly and not many mis-placed apostrophes slip past my nose. :)
Leoba
Mariner

Postby Berhael » Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:48 am

Hi lhaewin, nice to meet you too, and looking forward to writing with you... I'm another non-native English speaker, so don't worry, you won't be the only one consulting the thesaurus. ;)

Leoba, I just wanted to let you know that I haven't got cold feet... :D I'll work on a mini bio of my character, probably this evening. :)
Berhael
Mariner

Postby Leoba » Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:38 pm

We're getting there. :)

The OOC thread has gone up here. Hopefully the first post of the thread proper will be following in hot pursuit. ;)
Leoba
Mariner

Postby Ellehcim » Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:35 pm

Thank you everyone for such warm welcomes. :) First, let me tell you a little bit more about myself. I am a USA dwelling girl, and I'm pretty new to this whole messageborad thing. I can tell I'll be loyal to it for a long time, though, because I spent every free moment I had this weekend on TORC. I'm a very loud person sometimes and I love to act. I'm thinking of going into theatre professionally after I go to college. But enough about me, tell me about yourselves. I'm eager to learn about you all. I think we're going to get along really well. As for my questions, for the moment I think I'm okay, but I'm sure I'll have a some within a few days. :D As I always say, "Be a friend, make a friend."

..........................Okay, so I don't actually say that much at all :angel: , but I still think it's very cool. 8) I live by it.
Ellehcim
Ranger of the North

Postby Alandriel » Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:01 am

Ellehcim: you have a passion for acting? Hmmm – something tells me you might indeed make a very fine RPer. Rumour has it that some RPers actually 'act' out stuff before they write it down and post it. I've heard tales of plastic or wood swords being drawn in attics and cellar against 'imaginary' opponents, of the sudden disappearance of quantities of duck and geese feathers from parks, mysterious after-hour visits to ancient ruins and castles….. Of course I would not know any particulars. :angel:

Well, since you've asked for some more details let me indulge you :wink: : I'm Swiss but now reside in London UK after having spend the better part of my life in Egypt, happily married and mom to a wonderfully challenging 6 year old little girl. My passion is – what else? - Tolkien's world and RP – and for the latter I entirely blame my dear friend Leoba. :D and Dindraug in succession for deepening that 'addiction' beyond any hope of redemption.

Psssst: Leoba
There are some malfunctioning links in the OCC:
'The photo link' -> first link of your miller, and nn's first link

:wink:
Alandriel
Ranger of the North

Postby EdaintheRanger » Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:13 pm

Hello there.:)

Greetings to both Ellehcim and lhaewin glad to have you both on board. Not to mention another hello to Berhael, free time is a precious thing to have.:)

Fanfiction? Well I'm not a big fan myself, but if it gets you writing I would say go for it.:)

As for proof reading I'm not brillant, but I do help out Areanor from time to time and will be glad to help.

Brief updates on my Characters and the first post. I have some ideas that I'm playing around with and crafting into something feasible, based around the two men meeting up for a chat.
EdaintheRanger
Ranger of the North

Postby Lhaewin » Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:34 am

Hi Edain, thanks for the nice welcome.

I have read most of the OOC thread and I ask now, if I should send one of you a draft of my character description, when it is finished. I don´t have any of your email addresses, except yours, Nin, of course. :)
Lhaewin
Ranger of the North

Postby Leoba » Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:53 am

It'd be fab to see your character ideas lhaewin. Either post straight into the OOC if you're feeling brave, or whizz an email off. I'm quite sure Nin'll be happy to be your first port of call. But if you want my addy too I'm on leobavorima at yahoo dot co dot uk :D

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. :)

Oh Ber, any thoughts about what the heck your older than mud Elf is doing in Bree? :D And can I post your character history thus far into the OOC? Or don't you want it shared yet?

Ellehcim, I'm not sure what you want to know really... um... there's a tonne more about each of us than the average man in the street could possibly desire to find out, if you take a peek at the second post in this thread. ;)
Leoba
Mariner

Postby nienor-niniel » Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:54 pm

Lhaewin, I got your mail, and will answer you with great pleasure. (I tried IM... maybe a bit later) and I'm sure everybody in here agrees on giving you advice on IM.

If you like to send me a draft for a character, I'd be glad to read it and tell you how I like it... and a character is a very personnal thing, so if you feel this is the character you want to write... go for it.
nienor-niniel
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to Adoption Attic