The Players of Bree

Adoption threads that have reached the 500 postcount limit are stored here. Note: threads in this Archive forum are Read Only.

Postby Dindraug » Thu Nov 11, 2004 1:23 am

If a berserk barbarian, say level 9 with two attacks at +12/+7 faces off against a Mind flayer wit a web of impenitable doom cast and carrying a scarb of fast striking (from Al Quadim, 2nd printing) meet and neither gets surprise, who strikes first and should the results take effect before the second gets to strike?

Oh, not that sort of RP huh?

Well, I did put some work into the actuall RP last night. Batteling tenses in the into post. Not easy, but I hope it passes the editors mark tonight :roll:

And if so, we should be ready to (finally) go with this thing.

The first plot/chapter is going to be 'The Highwayman' or 'How Shrouded Fox terrorised the village and how it effected the Geese'

Could be fun ;)
Dindraug
Ranger of the North

Postby nienor-niniel » Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:23 am

Welcome to Spooky...

and impatient look to Dindraug

(I know this is short, but I have orcs to pick up from school)
nienor-niniel
Ranger of the North

Postby Spirit_of_the_Willow » Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:22 am

Hello. I've been wanting to get involved with RP here for a while. But I'm rather nervous about doing it. I've started a little in the Lucky Fortune, but its been a while since any of the oldbies posted there, and so I want also to get involved somewhere else . . . so . . . could y'all adopt me? I think that from what I've seen, this is the most promising place for an aspiring RPer.

I'll go take a look at that OOC thread if that's all right.

. . . and perhaps someone could look at what I've done in the Lucky Fortune? There's not much there yet of course, but I'd love some advice.

Willow
Spirit_of_the_Willow
Ranger of the North

Postby Dindraug » Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:36 am

Hello Spirit of the Willow, and welcome to TORC.

I will certainly go and have a look at what you have done in the Lucky Fortune. And please do have a look in the OCC. There will be a RP starting soon ( as soon as my fingers can type it..... ulp!).

But yes, we are looking for aspiring RPers. Have you any idea of the sort of person you want to portray. Bree will be quite low key as RP goes, and very much earlier than Lord of the Rings, but it will be a good place for a new writer to spread your winds and have fun.

And happy to adopt you, so tell us more about yourself, and how you would like your name shortened (its a mounthfull to type :D ). I like Willow ;)

:grouphug:
Dindraug
Ranger of the North

Postby Spirit_of_the_Willow » Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:45 pm

“Hooray!” Willow jumps up and down clapping her hands, then stops, blushes, and sweeps into a graceful curtsey. “I am honored that you are willing to accept me as a member of your group of adoptees. I hope that I will make you proud of me, a fine contributer to this world of RP.”

:D

I like Willow as a diminutive just fine. I don’t think I’d care for the acronym approach, SotW, or even . . . Sow. Yick. And Spirit . . . I guess that wouldn’t be too bad, but Willow sounds more friendly I think, less . . . uppity (well, either uppity or cheerleaderish)

I as myself am a junior in college, studying Recreation Leadership and Business. I also dabble a little in writing, and I’ve been known to spend a fair amount of time drawing. I had taken a hiatus from the latter, but since I changed my major from Art Ed, the pressure has eased up a bit, and I’ve again taken up my colors. I sing with my roommies, and in our church choir, I play the violin, the piano, and the recorder (sopranino, soprano and alto thus far). I work as a reading/English tutor on campus . . . mostly helping people for whom English is not their first language, although I do a lot with people who have reading comprehension problems as well. Umm . . . anything else . . . Well, I guess if there’s more you can always ask.

The character I think I would like to play in this is actually the one I’m using in the Lucky Fortune, except before that. (I think she’ll fit, and I don’t want to get too complicated yet by creating lots and lots of different characters. I’d like to refine her first. . . unless its a bad thing to use the same character in such vastly differing time periods?)

Should I post her info here, or in the OOC thread? Or I could email it to someone first for a looking over?
Spirit_of_the_Willow
Ranger of the North

Postby Ellehcim » Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:56 pm

Hey, Playas! What's up my homie Hobbits?!?!

Hi Willow!! Nice to meet you! :) I agree, Spirit does sound sort of cheerleaderish :P ...Anyway, I did see your work over at the Lucky Fortune. I'm glad you came over, we did need a boost. :wink: I see happy times at TORC in your future!! :D

Dindraug How can something be a mouthful if you're typing it? :P :wink: Tee hee. LOL :thppt: (I've been looking for a reason to use that emoticon!)

That's all I have time for right now. Be back tomorrow!! Huggles! :grouphug:

*~*~*Elle*~*~*
Ellehcim
Ranger of the North

Postby Dindraug » Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:39 am

Ellehcim wrote:Hey, Playas! What's up my homie Hobbits?!?!

Pokes tongue out at Ellehcim :P

Dindraug How can something be a mouthful if you're typing it? :P :wink: Tee hee. LOL :thppt: (I've been looking for a reason to use that emoticon!)

Pokes tongue out at Ellehcim :P :shock:

Willow it is then ;) Post your bio in the OCC thread or you can mail it to me at blat1471 @ yahoo.co.uk (without the gaps :roll: ) or if you use Yahoo IM than the addy is the same. We can look over and see what needs tweaking :)

But Cool, another willing victim BWAHAHAHAHA *cough, splutter* Now if only I can get that first post done :cry:

By the way, I forgot to say (bad elf that I am) do come and see us in the Orphans in Exile thread in Talk, just for the social interaction. Be good to see you there and the hot chocolate is legendary ;)
Dindraug
Ranger of the North

Postby Leoba » Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:17 am

Hi Willow. :D It's great to have you in here. I would have posted yesterday, except for the fact the Din beat me to it. I'd hate to overwhelm you! I'll pop over to the Lucky Fortune myself shortly and have a nosy at what you've been up to in there. I really ought to check in anyway, given that at last glance my poor main character was left upstairs having nightmares, in a room full of perfect strangers. ;):oops:

[Edit]: I've just caught up reading the LFI this afternoon. You write beautifully, and not at all 'newbie-like'. It's a shame there aren't any oldbies posting to help the new folks. I would bring my character downstairs but, unfortunately, the passage of time is a strange entity in that inn and we've been stuck on the same eventful afternoon/evening since January! I'll have to see what the muse can come up with. Maybe it's time to roadtest my Miller? ;)

It's also wonderful that you want to get involved in the Bree RP. From the pre-plotting so far it looks set to be both accessible and fun. ;)

Oh and please do pop over and poke your nose round the door of the Orphans. :)
Leoba
Mariner

Location: Troubadour of Ithilien, dwelling within sight of Weathertop

Postby Spirit_of_the_Willow » Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:27 am

Dindraug . . . or should I shorten it to Papa Din :P . . . I sent it along via email. I want to make sure it will work before unveiling it to the general public.

Leoba Thanks a lot!!! It really means something to me for you to say that. Of course, a little bit of a greeting with another newbie is not really much to go on, but its a start.

And it would really be nice if that issue upstairs could get settled. I'm dying of curiosity. :p Though it looks like Matrim has forgotten whatever it was he had been planning. Maybe not, I don't know what the normal lag time is in things like that. Though, aren't you supposed to write yourself out if you are going to be gone that long? Could someone perhaps hunt people down and drag them back to get some closure on things? :lol:

And I'll pop over to the Orphans in Exile . . . in a while, I've got to get ready for class!!

Willow
Spirit_of_the_Willow
Ranger of the North

Postby Lhaewin » Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:38 am

Hi Willow, we have already made in the Lucky Fortune Inn. That´s nice that you want to join in here. :)

Ellehcim I am glad that you are still in the Inn. In the meantime I posted an answer...
Lhaewin
Ranger of the North

Postby Leoba » Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:22 pm

You should have seen Din’s face, Willow when he saw you calling him ‘Papa’. Mind you, the most unnerving I found was meeting one of my ‘adoptees’ in real life and her calling me ‘mum’ to my face; as a joke but nevertheless a disturbing one! ;):D

I lost any hope a long while back of the poisoned knife issue being resolved satisfactorily. It all kicked off, as you’ll have possibly read, because the inn was quiet and a few of us thought it’d be fun to inject some temporary tension. Then life called and Matrim stopped RPing. He hasn’t dropped entirely out of communication, thank goodness, as he owes posts a-plenty in the Pony, but he’s not going to be back in the Lucky Fortune in the foreseeable future. It’s up to those of us left to clean up the pieces I fear and leave poor Mat in his comatose state somewhere quiet. ;)

It’s an unfortunate side-effect of the internet as a creative writing environment, that people can run off without much notice. Most of the people I write with are solid and dependable, but over the time (nearly three years! :Q ) I’ve been doing this, everyone I know has had time out when real life takes over, sometimes without much warning and some more than others. However, yes, it is courteous to write oneself out before vanishing, or at the very least to ask a friend if they would carry your character for you if it won’t be too long.

Time lag is impossible to pin down. I’ve been in some threads where the entire story has been written in three months. One took ‘weeks’ in roleplay time, another took the course of one day. The longest running one I’m in – Redemption – has been rolling two and half years now and we’ve travelled steadily only from the Last Bridge to the fringes of Fangorn. Because the Lucky Fortune isn’t controlled as a serious story thread, there’s no-one to drive the pace of posting or the passage of time. It’s an asset in some ways, for people who want to play without pressure, but as you’ve seen it can be a nuisance.
Leoba
Mariner

Postby Spirit_of_the_Willow » Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:33 pm

=:) I'm certain it was a sight to see. :D Don't worry Dindraug (Din-dad?) I shan't make it a habit. Really, I won't. You're not quite that much older than me. :P

I kinda figured that that would be the case with the LFI. I was just using some wishful thinking. I did manage to coerce someone into starting a song though! *is proud of herself* :D

And I can certainly understand RL getting in the way. I promise though, *raises Scout sign to the square* from here on that I shall do my best to do my duty and write myself out if a leave of absence is required. Or at least make it so I'm easy to carry . . . :P

Willow
Last edited by Spirit_of_the_Willow on Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Spirit_of_the_Willow
Ranger of the North

Postby Ellehcim » Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:03 pm

Hi!! And how are the Playas today? 8)

Papa Din Wouldn't it just bug you if everyone started to call you that? Well, I'm going to! :P Tee hee, it'll be fun, at least for me!! :wink: And I stick my tongue out at you too! Two can play at that game, :thppt: and I am making a cool sound too!! (I love that emoticon!)

lhaewin Yep, I saw your answer, and I am thinking up a good reply :wink:....

Hey, have you all heard the little song, "Welcome to Atlanta, where the playas play!"? I'm not sure where it comes from, but my brother always says that when we have a between-flight layover there on our way to Alabama.(I'll let you know about that later...) If you have, or even if you haven't, don't you think it would be cool to make our motto, "Welcome to Bree, where the Playas play!"? I do! :D Let me know what you think!!

That's all for now folks. I'm not really in the mood to think of womething to say...

HUGGLES EVERYBODY!! :grouphug:

*~*~*Elle*~*~*
Ellehcim
Ranger of the North

Postby Dindraug » Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:34 am

Wanders in, looks at the two mewling babies on the play mat, covered in food and waving rattles, Dindraug sighed deeply.

"I remember when newbies gave mentors respect" he is heard muttering as he goes to sit on the rocking chair on the front porch and eat chicking wings

Papa Din indeed, makes me sound like Papa Smurf :shock:

Willow, you will get the hang of time in RP, it is something we will be quite hot on in Bree. It just helps, and stops the story getting bogged down. One thing to try and do is move the plot along, which you are in LFI I note :D . To many people just rewrite a post somebody else has made from their view point. Sometimes that helps, but mostly it just drags events on for months :roll:

Ellehcim, not sure about the song... its Players for one thing ;) Although I did have this image of a group of Hobbits singing it in the corner of the Kings Rest ;)
Dindraug
Ranger of the North

Postby Leoba » Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:37 am

Ellehcim, in short, nope I've never heard that song. Hardly surprising though given I've never been anywhere near Atlanta. Unless reading 'Gone with the Wind counts'. :P So is that 'playas' as in Spanish for 'beaches' or just some hideous mis-spelling of players. *grinds teeth* ;)

Willow, I should apologise, after seeing the email you sent Din - it wasn't him being stupid and mis-reading your name as Sindarin - it was me. Only half a brain in gear and presuming that it would be Sindarin without thinking about it. :oops: I stopped pretending to be a linguist after I burned my A Level notes. :D

Good news on the Bree front. Finally we managed to sit down together and I've edited the introductory post. Now Din has promised to work on the story starting post this week and then we should be away.. How many months has this taken? ;)

Edited to *wave* at Din. This lurking and cross-posting at the same time at the start of the working day is a confusing habit! :)
Leoba
Mariner

Postby Spirit_of_the_Willow » Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:20 am

I guess that's what I get for being cheeky :P

Leoba, don't worry about mixing it up, I didn't really set out to make it one or the other, I just prefered "Tasar" to "Tathar," which is the Sindarin equivalent. I certainly wouldn't be able to recognize which was which without looking it up.

Dindraug (see, written with all the respect you deserve :wink:) I can see how it would be easy to slip into the habit of rewriting other people's posts. You try to keep the continuity of your character's thoughts, since you are supposed to be seeing through their eyes, and just because someone else is thinking, doesn't mean you aren't. But when you look at a novel, you don't see everything from everyone's perspective. As the writer of a character, you should know their reactions to everything, but it is not necessary to write their reaction to every little thing. Wonderful! I know to be careful of that form of laziness!

Elle, I don't think our adopters are overly fond of slang. :wink:
Spirit_of_the_Willow
Ranger of the North

Postby Alandriel » Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:13 am

Leoba wrote: ...everyone I know has had time out when real life takes over, sometimes without much warning ....

:oops: guilty as charged - it's just a good thing then the RP is not actually rolling yet :wink: Much much looking forward to it though :D

Hello Willow: hey! That even rhymes - must be a good omen :wink:
Glad to make your acquaintence and learning you'll be fodd... erm... cough.. I mean a new player, yes of course that's what I mean - a new player :wink: in our upcoming RP :D

My apologies everyone but yes, I have a sad case of RL interfearance at the moment and it won't really ease up I'm afraid till sometime past this month :( I do try my best though to at least stay caught up on RP matters - after all, it is a passion of mine and about the only thing that keeps me sane these days :wink:

So - catch you soon I hope, not so much 'socially' I'm afraid but definitely when business 8) is on the agenda.

:D
Alandriel
Ranger of the North

Postby Spirit_of_the_Willow » Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:52 am

I spent a great deal of time looking over the adopters before making a choice of who would be best to help me in my goals, and it seems I have chosen wisely.

Congratulations Dindraug! You deserved that award.

Willow
Spirit_of_the_Willow
Ranger of the North

Postby Ellehcim » Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:53 am

Willow, Leoba, and Papa Din I wasn't actually serious about the Playas song thing. It was just something I felt like sharing. :P And Leoba, I would never misspell Players unless I was joking. Which I was, because misspellings give me the willies. :wink: And I don't think that would be a very good motto anyway, considering nobody would get it :| ...

Papa Din again I almost forgot to congratulate you on your award!! I read some of your RP posts, and wow! You are good!! :D

Alandriel No worries about RL getting in the way. :wink: *waits patiently for the end of the month when she can get to know Alandriel better* :wink:

Impenitent Congratulations on The Silmaril!! 8)

*passes out cupcakes to everybody in honor of reaching 200 posts* :D

Did everyone enjoy the WCA's? I know I did. I am so happy for all the winners! I just wish the connection could have been a little faster. Oh well, at least the pages at the afterparty are coming up faster. :wink:

That's all I have time for now everybody. I've been on TORC since 10:30 a.m. due to the red carpet thread and the WCA's ceremony. Then I went to the afterparty. It's now nine minutes until midnight, so that means I've been online (on TORC specifically) for....uhhh....13 and a half hours. I should probably go to bed now, huh? Well I guess I'll go as soon as Antz is over.(It's on TV right now) Good night everybody!! :)

Huggles!! :grouphug:

*~*~*Elle*~*~*
Ellehcim
Ranger of the North

Postby Dindraug » Sun Nov 21, 2004 5:19 am

Thanks Willow and Ellechim :D:D:D

Yep, its a good thing.

Just popped in to say the RP is open ;) Enjoy, and remember if you want help just ask.

:horse:
Dindraug
Ranger of the North

Postby EdaintheRanger » Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:47 pm

I stayed up for 18 hours solid yesterday and when I try and write an RP post I just can't think of anything.

What should I do? :?

Answers and a poundcoin stapled on a postcard to....

Edain's home address.

Editering to say:

Well done on the RP award Din, nice to see someone good gain an accolade.:)

Happy Postering...
EdaintheRanger
Ranger of the North

Postby Dindraug » Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:23 am

Thanks Edain, I know I beat the better fox, but I am quite chuffed :D

and yes, it was surprising to win in the end.

As for what to right, hummmmm well I was wondering who will be paid by the 'out of townies' to 'repair' the cart, and what sort of rate he would ask :P

Or you could hide that long black cloak mate, *cough*, you wouldn't wany any assuptions made :shock: .....:D:D:D

Edited by the White Council Moderator. DO NOT EDIT AGAIN. Consider this a warning.
Last edited by Dindraug on Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dindraug
Ranger of the North

Postby Spirit_of_the_Willow » Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:59 pm

I'm working on something Din Really I am. Will hopefully be able to post it tomorrow, (later in what is soon to be today) but if not, will certainly post Wednesday.

Stupid homework, getting in the way of really important stuff. :P

Willow
Spirit_of_the_Willow
Ranger of the North

Postby Dindraug » Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:14 am

Spirit_of_the_Willow wrote:I'm working on something Din Really I am. Will hopefully be able to post it tomorrow, (later in what is soon to be today) but if not, will certainly post Wednesday.

Stupid homework, getting in the way of really important stuff. :P

Willow

That's ok Willow, it's the dreaded RL, it always manages to get in the way. Post when you are ready and happy with the piece :D
Dindraug
Ranger of the North

Postby Leoba » Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:16 am

Edain, if the weekend left you half as exhausted as you did me, then I'd be pleasantly surprised to see even half a chat post emerge, let alone RP. I'm not even going to attempt to write until I'm stopped feeling like I have a throat made of sandpaper. It would also help if I could keep my eyes open for something like ten minutes straight.

How am I supposed to work?!

Willow, homework should always come first. And don't let anyone tell you about the months I spent pretending to work whilst churning out 5000 or so words of RP per day. :oops:
Leoba
Mariner

Postby Spirit_of_the_Willow » Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:27 am

Willow, homework should always come first.

Well, I'm certainly not staying up till 1:30 in the morning writing RP! And seeing as my paper is now done, and I've got work at 8:00, I'm going to bed.

They really need a sleepy emoticon. I can imagine it would get lots of use.

Willow

Edit: wait, there is a sleepy one! :P :zzz:
Spirit_of_the_Willow
Ranger of the North

Erm... hi!

Postby Kaewen_Drift » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:40 am

Hey all - I was pointed along this way by Willow, who suggested that this would be a god place to start to gear myself back into LOTR rp'ing (last time I did that was a year or so ago). Anyway, I was v. interested in joining your RP...

Heck, lemme know what you think, and if you need more people! :)
Kaewen_Drift
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Leoba » Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:56 pm

Hi there Kaewen_Drift and welcome to TORC. :D Do you know Willow in real life or did she acquire you on the web? ;) So you’ve done some RP before? Is that here on TORC or somewhere else? I have to ask, given how divergent styles can be. I’d suggest in the first instance that you take yourself over towards the Lucky Fortune. :) I would come over and join you, but as I explained earlier in this thread – my character is somewhat incapacitated in there right now. Plus my muse has flown the nest!

Willow, I saw your bumped ‘welcome’ thread. Thank you for doing that – it really does mean a lot to me that you decided to clear things up. If you’ve lurked much, you’ll know that multiple IDs are a mixed blessing; many of us have them and many of us have been burned by them. :)
Leoba
Mariner

Postby Spirit_of_the_Willow » Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:29 pm

Thanks Leoba, for acknowledging my apology. I really hadn't intended any falsehood, as I said, I didn't really know anyone, so merely acquiring a new identity would not hurt anyone. But then creating the new user id didn't log out the Elflet one, and I didn't notice, and then I panicked. Stupid really.

And I just ran across Kaewen in one of the Welcome threads, and she said she was an RP addict, so I directed her here. :P

Kaewen, Do come on over to the Lucky Fortune, things are getting a little interesting. My poor character has apparently just lost her memory. Not sure if she's lost all of it, or just part, but its very interesting. :D

Willow
Spirit_of_the_Willow
Ranger of the North

Postby Ellehcim » Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:30 pm

Hi everybody. I hope you all had a good day! :)

Din I see you had a post edited. :nono: I wish I could remember what it said before. :P :wink:

Willow I here you about the homework. :wink:

Leoba 5000 words a day? Wow...

Kaewen Welcome!! It's nice to meet you. :D

I didn't have much to say today, did I? Oh well. Ta everyone. Huggles! :grouphug:

*~*~*Elle*~*~*
Ellehcim
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to Adoption Attic