Bloomgirl06's Adoption Thread: All Newbies Welcome!

Adoption threads that have reached the 500 postcount limit are stored here. Note: threads in this Archive forum are Read Only.

Postby carieltintil » Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:39 pm

O.K. so here is probably the most stupid question, how long does it take (on average) to send and recieve messages? This question could be feilded by anyone. Remember I told you I am cyber-chalenged, also maybe ADD. Oce, you asked if I liked C.S. Lewis, the fact is My hubbie read the books and I have not but he is bringing me up to speed on them, I have been a fantasy fan for ages, right now I'm reading a Diana Gabaldon novel (#5 of 6), its about a woeman who stumbles through a ring of standing stones and goes back in time, guys in kilts, need I say more?! To prove the ADD thing what's up with the box quote, :?: is that like a cyber bookmark or post-it note?
carieltintil
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Oceanean » Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:43 pm

carieltintil wrote:O.K. so here is probably the most stupid question, how long does it take (on average) to send and recieve messages? This question could be feilded by anyone. Remember I told you I am cyber-chalenged, also maybe ADD. Oce, you asked if I liked C.S. Lewis, the fact is My hubbie read the books and I have not but he is bringing me up to speed on them, I have been a fantasy fan for ages, right now I'm reading a Diana Gabaldon novel (#5 of 6), its about a woeman who stumbles through a ring of standing stones and goes back in time, guys in kilts, need I say more?! To prove the ADD thing what's up with the box quote, :?: is that like a cyber bookmark or post-it note?

messages on The One Ring board? as fast as your internet provider and computer processor allow. :)
is the novel you're reading kind of like Brigadoon only more sci-fi??

when you post a message you can either click the white text button above a post that says "quoted reply" instead of the usual "reply button" if you want to quote the whole post, or once you are typing a post, you can click the 4th button over that says "quote" and copy and paste the text you want to quote after that, then hit the "quote" button again.

did that make sense? ...or did I skip too much/not cover something helpful? :?
Oceanean
Shield Bearer

Postby Nimrodel_89 » Sun Dec 25, 2005 2:47 pm

O.K. so here is probably the most stupid question, how long does it take (on average) to send and recieve messages?

Not a stupid question. Many people make this mistake. This site is a messageboard which is different from an e-mail or something like that. It's pretty much like a real messageboard only more people can see it. I dunno if that makes sense or not. Either way right after you post and it says your message has been posted that's when the message is up.

The quote button is just so that when someone is reading your post they know exactly what sentence you're replying to. As Oce said you can either push "quoted reply" or when you're on the reply page you'll see a button on the top of the post box that says "quote" and just push that and a this will appear in the box: [ quote ] and when you are finished with the quote you just push it again and this will appear: [ /quote ] if you want to add someone's name in it the you just type this in: [ quote="whoever's name" ]

Once again, anymore questions or anything just ask.
Nimrodel_89
Mariner

Postby Elendur86 » Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:23 pm

Lilly- Hello and welcome! Yeah, you're right, we do have fun in here. :)

Hello carieltintil! It's nice to meet you.

Hi Nim! Good to see you back again.

Hello Oce! Good to see you too.

Glad to hear you haven't disappeared Imby. :D :hug: to you too.
Elendur86
Shield Bearer

Postby Nimhiril » Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:06 pm

Okay, I know I've stopped in before and asked stupid question... :roll: :D
But I was wondering if anyone else is getting spaces in between posts with little arrows in the spaces? Or, I don't know, it doesn't come up on every single post, but everyso often under mine. :? Help.

Nimhiril
Nimhiril
Ranger of the North

Postby bloomgirl06 » Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:36 pm

Hey everyone!

Nimhiril, I don't think that's anything to worry about. It's probably just something with the site. If it doesn't go away soon, you can e-mail info @ theonering dot com (of course, without the spaces).

So, anyone in need of adoption? :D :angel: I'm always ready for more newbies! ;)

Hi Lilly
Hi Nimhiril
Hi Elendur
Hi Oce
Hi Nim
Hi Cariel

And Hi Toby if you're still here.
And pichuchuchu as well (Nim, good candidate for a nickname here! ;) ).

:D

:grouphug:

~Imby
bloomgirl06
Ranger of the North

Postby Nimhiril » Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:36 pm

Okay, thank you, but I was wondering if you have one under carieltintil on your computer, maybe it's just mine... :? I guess I would be up for adoption, I sure do need it it would seem! :D

Nimhiril/Nim/Nimh (Whichever! :D )
Nimhiril
Ranger of the North

Postby oldtoby » Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:06 pm

Nim I believe those spaces are related to the spots where there were ads showing up in the threads. Jon set it so the ads dont show but they seem to be leaving those funky spaces as a result.

Hi Imby :)
oldtoby
Ringbearer

Postby Nimhiril » Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:26 pm

Thanks Toby, I was wondering... :D

Nimhiril
Nimhiril
Ranger of the North

Postby Oceanean » Sun Jan 01, 2006 3:56 pm

Happy New Year everyone! :drink:

*drags out a chocolate fountain*

I need to think of fruits to dip in the chocolate so Nim doesn't drown herself....and so I'm not a spammer. *thinks of t0bY getting after her for being a spammer* yeah. no one wants that. *wink*

Stawbies okies? excuse the full mouth, where are my manners?! mebbe carmel-coated apple slices too. they're kinda like fruity rollos....
Oceanean
Shield Bearer

Postby oldtoby » Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:59 pm

*thinks of t0bY getting after her for being a spammer*

:lol: Right, I have no room to talk so i dont think that will be happening any time soon. :wink:
oldtoby
Ringbearer

Postby Nimrodel_89 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:00 pm

Yeah those ads were annoying. :|

Well Imbry I kind of like that name. :D It makes me laugh and a nickname will only take away from that. :P But I'm pretty sure pichu would be just fine. :wink:

Elendur: Hello good to see you again! :D

Oce: I'll just skip the fruit anyways. :P A chocolate fountain with fruit? That's like buying four pizzas and then getting a diet coke. :P
Nimrodel_89
Mariner

Postby Oceanean » Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:00 pm

Nimrodel_89 wrote:
Oce: I'll just skip the fruit anyways. :P A chocolate fountain with fruit? That's like buying four pizzas and then getting a diet coke. :P

It's making the chocolate more healthy for you. I get the four pizzas then drink lemon-water with them. :wink: of course...I usually get at least one veggie pizza in that mix.

Hi, Eldur! :)

Allo, Imby. :hug:
Oceanean
Shield Bearer

Postby bloomgirl06 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:30 pm

Since Nim isn't doing her duties, Nimhiril, I dub thee Nimh. I actually saw that name yesterday, and I thought of you! Don't remember where, though. :roll: I was all over the place yesterday.

Oooh, chocolate fountain! Yummers.... :P

Ah yes. Nimh, I'll add you to the first page as soon as I'm done with this post. And just so you know, I saw the little arrow thingy too. But not until after you said something about it. :)

Au revior, mon amis! :D

~Imby

Edit: I've updated my first post, and it seems my newbie count has diminished considerably! I took off everyone that hasn't shown up in the past few months. Or year, possibly. :roll: I don't think they're even on TORC anymore! Ah well, if they come back, I'll put 'em back on the list!
bloomgirl06
Ranger of the North

Postby Lostariel » Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:16 am

Um, I'm new. I'll be your noobie! I'm not quite sure if I'm doing this right, is that what I should post? Man I feel so ignorant!
Lostariel

Postby Nimrodel_89 » Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:54 am

Imbry: I do my duties. :P Such as now, I know where you saw that nickname at.

Okay, thank you, but I was wondering if you have one under carieltintil on your computer, maybe it's just mine... I guess I would be up for adoption, I sure do need it it would seem! :D

Nimhiril/Nim/Nimh (Whichever! :D )

She did my job for me. :P

Oce: Well I drink soda with pizza. :P It's better that way. :wink:

Lostariel: Don't worry you did that right. Hello and welcome to TORC and Imbry's adoption thread. Before you go crazy posting everywhere make sure you take a look at the Terms of Service found in the right hand corner of your screen. If you have any questions just ask a way. Also want a nickname?
Nimrodel_89
Mariner

Postby bloomgirl06 » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:49 pm

It seems that everyone else always answers the newbies' posts before I get here. Strange...
Anyhoo, Lostariel, like Nim said, just ask if you have any questions, and avoid spamming if at all possible. It annoys the mods, which is not a good thing. :D And welcome! I'll add you to the first page.

Nim wrote:Such as now, I know where you saw that nickname at.

And where exactly would that be?

Yes, I know she did your job for you, but there's a reason you're the OFFICIAL Nickname Giver. Someone has to make it OFFICIAL! :roll:

~Imby
bloomgirl06
Ranger of the North

Postby oldtoby » Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:02 pm

Well we don't want the new people to leave just cause you can't respond right away. :wink:
oldtoby
Ringbearer

Postby Nimhiril » Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:34 pm

Sweet, thanks I'll probably need the help more often now! :lol:

Nim ~ Oh, that's weird... Everywhere else I'm Nim unless you pop up. :D Like if FoE, I got confused with Gwenare as Gwen And Gwen( somthing)Eruwen as Gwenny. But when you came in and they called you Nim I was so confused... :D now I'm not though! :D Sorry, about doing your job! :D

Imby ~ Thank you kindly! :D

Nimh (here :D )
Nimhiril
Ranger of the North

Postby Lostariel » Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:31 am

Okay, I'm glad I did that right, at least. Umm, so what should I do now? I'm totally lost here, this site is so confusing! And I'd love a nick name!
By the way, what is this "Alliance" thing?
Lostariel

Postby oldtoby » Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:08 am

If you look on the left you have a blue wizard over your name and under "Alliance" it says "default" They are just a way you can customize your posts. If you scroll to the top of the page and click "My Settings" you will go to a page that allows you to change your alliance from the default to one of the many alliances that we have.

As far as what you should do now...

Check out the Gallery and see the art work members have made

Go to the scriptorium and read the stories and poems and essays that members have written

Cruise about the Message board and join us in talking about all sorts of topics.

:D:D:D
oldtoby
Ringbearer

Postby Nimrodel_89 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:05 am

Imbry: I showed you where it was! It was in the quote right after that sentence. :P Nimh had posted it. :wink:

Yes, I know she did your job for you, but there's a reason you're the OFFICIAL Nickname Giver. Someone has to make it OFFICIAL!

Good point. :roll:

Nimh: Yeah it got confusing for me too. Posted in some thread with another Nim and suddenly I was Nim89. It was weird, I had been just Nim for a whole year and suddenly someone else was being called that. It's definatly confusing. :|

Lostariel: Like Toby said, just start posting in threads. Everyone here is very welcoming and will make you feel at home.

As for your nickname here are a few: Lost, ariel, or LA. I don't feel entirely creative today. :roll:
Nimrodel_89
Mariner

Postby bloomgirl06 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:36 pm

Lostariel, you can pick one of the given nicknames, or, if you want, come up with your own, since Nim isn't being very creative. :roll: I'll put it on the first page once you've decided.

Thank you for helping, Toby, as always. :D

Nim wrote:Imbry: I showed you where it was! It was in the quote right after that sentence. :P Nimh had posted it. ;)

Har, har. You're so clever Nim. :roll:

I understand what you mean, Nimh. I have a few different names, too. It's gets confusing because I have to remember which name I am in which place.

Adieu!

~Imby
bloomgirl06
Ranger of the North

Postby Elendur86 » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:29 pm

Hi Lostariel! Nice to meet you.

Hi Oce. That chocolate fountain is a great idea! lol

Hi Nim. Good to see you again too!

Hi Imby, Nimh, and Toby!
Elendur86
Shield Bearer

Postby Nimhiril » Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:08 pm

Nim ~ I think that was probably me... :P

Imby ~ Like what there names?

Lostariel ~ You could be Stari... Since Nim isn't being real creative... :D

Elendur ~ Hey! :hug:

Nimh
Nimhiril
Ranger of the North

Postby Oceanean » Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:03 pm

Hi Elendur! *waves*

Glad you like the fountain idea. Haven't heard much from Nim since I set it out. :roll:

I had a question to ask, but I just forgot what it was. if no one posts after me before I remember it, that's why my post is going to be "edited."
Oceanean
Shield Bearer

Postby freaky_vampire_chick » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:34 am

Hello! I'm new around here and was getting some advice from some folks over in the welcome forum. They said it would be OK to go ahead and post in one of the adoptions boards so I could be adopted. So I hope this is OK and I'm not interrupting. So .......................

Does anyone want to take a freaky vampire chick under their wing? (I know the name is kind of lame - I think I need to come up with a better one :roll: )

~Freaky~ :)
freaky_vampire_chick
Citizen of Imladris

Postby oldtoby » Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:02 pm

I've heard about this one guys, shes trouble. :wink:
oldtoby
Ringbearer

Postby Oceanean » Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:37 pm

freaky_vampire_chick wrote:Hello! I'm new around here and was getting some advice from some folks over in the welcome forum. They said it would be OK to go ahead and post in one of the adoptions boards so I could be adopted. So I hope this is OK and I'm not interrupting. So .......................

Does anyone want to take a freaky vampire chick under their wing? (I know the name is kind of lame - I think I need to come up with a better one :roll: )

~Freaky~ :)

nah. it's kind of gothic...reminds me of Hot Topic. :love: I have a special fondness for that store...even though most people wouldn't associate me with being a Hot Topic fan. *shrugs*

anyway, Welcome! ....do you want us to call you "Freaky" for short?

*gives Freaky lots of chocolates* hmm...where's Nim?

*makes a pile of Dark Chocolate Doves near Freaky* :twisted:

She should be here soon. :roll:
Oceanean
Shield Bearer

Postby freaky_vampire_chick » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:51 pm

Hi Oceanean :) Thanks for the chocolates - too bad they're only virtual chocolate :cry2: Oh well, at least they won't go straight to my . . . well, anyway, Thanks.

I like Hot Topic too, although their stuff is a little cliched. As far as the goth stuff.

How do you get a quote in your post?

And don't listen to Old Toby - I'm no trouble at all, until I get thirsty :P
Actually, I'm a vegetarian, so the only ones who have to watch out are the carrots - like Bunnicula :D

~Freaky~
freaky_vampire_chick
Citizen of Imladris

PreviousNext

Return to Adoption Attic