5000 posts in just 6 weeks - become a hero of the forums!

Adoption threads that have reached the 500 postcount limit are stored here. Note: threads in this Archive forum are Read Only.

5000 posts in just 6 weeks - become a hero of the forums!

Postby Mummpizz » Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:12 am

Now you don’t actually want to gather 5000 posts in 6 weeks, or at last, if you want, you better should get rid of that desire because it’ll won’t make you a hero, but a spammer. People will despise you, laugh in your face. You’ll wish it’d be only sand they’ll be kicking in your face.

But of course, you know that already. And you don’t really turn here for help or advice, but because this thread has a kinda funny title. You did well. I may possibly be the laziest, most often offline adopter in this part of Middle Earth, so don’t expect too much from me. My E-Mail address is tk0262@yahoo.com if you’re too shy to ask something in public. Please don’t post your E-Mail addresses in your posts, and don’t post your age and gender if you’re a minor. And now, allow me to give some superficial information about me and my whatabouts.

When in the early third age of Tolkien Online I joined this forum, I jumped right in and registered, but held back with posting everywhere. Instead, lurking and reading was the thing to do until I found out how people were clicking here. Then I picked Ethel and Saro as adopters, never to regret it. In a way, I want to give back something of the good I have received from them; first, because trying to be nice is less exhausting than trying to be evil, and second because the best-before date has expired.

If my English sounds funny now and then, that’s supposed to be – most of the times. Ich bin Deutscher (and no, you don’t have to chant now “Ich bin ein Berliner” and point out that JFK said he was a jelly-filled doughnut), live in Cologne, I am 38 years old, and work as a Senior Art Director in an Internet Advertising Agency which is from where I post most often. I am happily married and don’t have kids. My wife, of course, is the most beautiful woman in the world, and I look like this. Besides posting here I have several strange hobbies, the strangest may be Civil War Reenactment, which is a very strange thing to do in Germany (but if the US Americans have Renaissance Fairs, why not?).

We gather here in these Forums to discuss Tolkien and our shared love for the worlds of his imagination, nonetheless. So, if you jump here, it is above average probability you have come in touch with either Tolkien’s work or something derived from it, like a movie, another movie, yet another movie, an audio play, a comic, a customizable card game, a computer or tabletop game, (fine) art, (role) play, (collecting) figures, furniture, weapons, jewellery, people with Tolkien names or people bothering you talking about Tolkien stuff. Welcome. You’ll find everything here. Specially, you’ll find interesting people who share your interests, ranging from youngest fans to wise erudite scholars to talk with.

These fabulous people also share the desire to get treated and talked to with respect and tolerance just the way you like it yourself. These Forums are age-old, and some of the people around have been age-old members when Tom Bombadil was still a kid, so you can imagine almost everything has been discussed here, therefore you better start a search before starting a new thread. You better watch and lurk for a while anyway, no matter how much your fingers are itching to jump in – just to get accustomed to the way how people are talking here.

But then, jump in. There’s no use in standing at the side of the water when everybody’s having fun inside. Let’s hear your voice, and let’s share the joy we get from sharing the Tolkien universe. And let me help you if I can.
Last edited by Mummpizz on Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mummpizz
Ranger of the North

Postby Anthriel » Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:15 am

Mummpy, you are going to be such a great adopter! Thank you so much for taking your time to do this... adoptions are an awesome idea.

Hi, new-to-TORC types! As a still-fairly-new person here, I can tell you that being adopted (especially by someone as kind and knowledgeable as Mummpy!) is a wonderful way to ease in to this messageboard. I was adopted when I first came here, and learned so much from my adopter and the people he'd adopted before me. I still talk with them, all the time, and I'm still learning. Mummpy's a sweetheart, and he will do a great job for you, I'm sure.

Have fun!
Anthriel
Ranger of the North

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:13 am

Oooo. This is great. Mummpy the rower gets to adopt. I would volunteer as adoptee 'cept that I'm a bit too old. :(

Hi, Anthy!
Cookie? :twisted:
Tookish_Traveler
Party-monger

Postby nienor-niniel » Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:51 am

Mummpizz....

welcome to the pleasure dome.

:D

I fear I am too told for adoption, but I am sure you will do a wonderful job.
nienor-niniel
Ranger of the North

Postby truehobbit » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:41 am

Hello Mummpizz! :) Congrats on becoming an adopter - great that you started the thread after all! :D

So, if you don't mind, I have a few questions...
*unscrolls three feet long list*

:P
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby Evenstar_of_Imladris » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:59 am

*bustles into the room wearing an apron and bearing a plate of freshly baked chocolate chip cookies*

I saw you moving in from down the street and just thought I'd welcome you to the neighborhood! :)

*offers complimentary huggles on behalf of the Emporium*

Evenstar_of_Imladris
Evenstar_of_Imladris
Ringbearer

Postby satch » Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:35 am

Mummpy!! w00t!!1 :D Congrats on becoming an adopter, you'll do fabulous I'm sure. Why are you looking at me like that? I am being serious. I am.

*waves hello to adoptees soon to arrive*

(Btw, :Q! You're 38?! You're kidding me!)
satch
Mariner

Postby notlistening » Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:50 pm

Yah Mummpy teh adopter! Hope you gets lots of nice noobies to sit at your feet and soak up your Torc wisdom and advice.

Just dropped by to bring by your couch from Aunties in case you needed somewhere to relax. Don't go crawling underneath it just yet. It might worry your adoptees. :roll:

I'll say hi to satchie whilst I'm here!

nl
notlistening
wandering not lost

Postby InnocentEvil » Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:57 pm

Welcome Mummpizz, I'm really glad you joined the crew :)
InnocentEvil
Ringbearer

Postby Farawen » Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:56 am

Hi Mummpy One, good luck on the adopting job! :)

Tooks, satchie, stop scaring the n00bs wouldya? :roll: :D
Farawen
Ranger of the North

Postby Mummpizz » Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:08 am

Ahem. I am expected to welcome new folks around here, but it's nice to see you friends, as always, it is.

:)
Mummpizz
Ranger of the North

Postby Ethel » Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:13 pm

We just don't want you to be lonely while you wait to welcome them, Mumps!

To any prospective adoptees - you couldn't hope to have a nicer, or funnier, adopter than Mummpizz. :)
Ethel
Mariner

Postby sylthian » Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:14 pm

Mumps you can adopt me!!! I don't know lots of stuff.

You will make a wonderful adopter - er, daddy - or something - for sure a terrific uncle!! :wink:
sylthian
Ranger of the North

Postby Saradoc » Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:15 pm

Mummpizz wrote:Ahem. I am expected to welcome new folks around here, but it's nice to see you friends, as always, it is.
What do you expect when you place such an enticing line "Trust me, I know what I'm doing" in your signature - see, I avoided saying siggy so newcomers (newbies) could follow along.

You should warn n00bies to stay out of Manwë until after Nov. 5.
Saradoc
Ranger of the North

Postby Lhaewin » Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:12 am

Oh Mummpizz, this sounds as if you are going to have much fun and your adoptees as well. :)

Well, I am already an adoptee in RL, so why shouldn´t I become one on TORC too. I am not really a newbie, but I am clueless about some threads. So can we start with a cuppa?
Lhaewin
Ranger of the North

Postby Mummpizz » Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:08 am

Dear Lhaewin, ah yes, a cuppa tea / coffee I whatever, that'd be nice. Have I remarked that it is extremely difficult handling cups of hot liquid hopping around on crutches? Practice is the word.
I am clueless about some threads, too, so maybe we can exchange clues. :)
Mummpizz
Ranger of the North

Postby Lhaewin » Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:02 am

Dear Mummpizz, I know that problem, I had to move on crutches too, some years ago. Get yourself a rucksack and a thermos jug, that´s what I had done...for the practise. :-)
Lhaewin
Ranger of the North

Postby Mummpizz » Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:34 am

Good suggestion, I'm already hopping around with my "haversack", but that doesn't satisfy my need for a hot cup of tea now and then - try and transport that one on crutches -- :)
Mummpizz
Ranger of the North

Postby Lhaewin » Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:36 am

Yesterday it was impossible to get on TORC, today RL tries to drive me mad and nearly succeeds. :evil: :x

I hope you have found out how to provide yourself with your cup of tea anytime. And aren´t the crouches a very good excuse for spending much time on the pc or watching DVD´s? It would be better with the EE, I assume ;-).
Lhaewin
Ranger of the North

Postby Mummpizz » Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:22 am

Thanks for the kind words, lhaewin - I'm looking forward to meet you in person around the time Ring*Con happens!

I'm getting quite accustomed to limping around on my crutches. As a means to prevent couchpotatoing, we have removed the Mac and the TV to places uncomfortable to sit at even with all limbs intact (the TV a little bit less, but the iMac's placed on a Stehpult ). And, only being able to do everything ever so slooowwwly, there's not much time to watch the DVDs, again ... I'm planning things instead to be done when the foot is again able to bick kutt. ;)
Mummpizz
Ranger of the North

Postby Lhaewin » Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:19 pm

Hopefully we will have a mini-moot in Cologne. :)

Atm I am a bit helpless: I downloaded a screen capping programme and it works. But each time I am closing the media player, the saved pictures turn black. Do you know how to do this or do you know someone, I can ask?

No couchpotatoing for you? You are admirably resistant to temptations! I would be much weaker. :oops:
Lhaewin
Ranger of the North

Postby Mummpizz » Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:54 pm

I resist everything except temptations (another stolen quote, and I don't even know who said it in the first place) ;)

Screen capturing is a bit tricky, the freeware programs sometimes don't work. If you play a mov file in Quicktime, just pressing the "Copy" key combination works (and then "paste" into an imaging application). Navigating to the right scene is possible by the back and forward buttons once the Play button is hit (and thus turned to "Stop" again).

On the PC, the "Win DVD" app has a function to make screen caps itself, it is hidden somewhere in the heap of buttons and pulldowns this application has. Looks like a small camera icon. I don't know a thing about the Windose Media Player, however, except that I don't like it and find it cumbersome and ungainly. Quicktime is so much better.

But this is just the humble opinion of a Mac-Zealot, and may differ from an average Windows Power User's.
Mummpizz
Ranger of the North

Postby Lhaewin » Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:38 pm

I´ve downloaded a trial version of WINDVD 4 and I´ve found the button looking like a camera. And it works very well! :)

Now I am going to bed, not looking forward to the next days because I will have more work than usual. That means I will be on TORC less than usual. :roll:
Lhaewin
Ranger of the North

Postby Mummpizz » Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:06 am

In the last 6 weeks I have become friends with Windows. I even installed Windows on a PC my father-in-law bought. Or maybe I am now liable to be sent to prison.
Mummpizz
Ranger of the North

Postby Mummpizz » Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:54 am

I would like this thread to be locked as I'll no longer be accepting adoptions. lhaewin, you have my e-Mail adress, so we can stay in touch.
Mummpizz
Ranger of the North

Return to Adoption Attic