PCE Thread of Denial-6

Find within old venerable threads locked for size reasons. Threads within may be from any category or forum outside of Adoptions and Fandom. This forum is Read-Only.

Postby Erufailon.Atanvarno » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:50 am

IrisBrandybuck wrote:But it pays for my PM!

True!

But you really only need to work for an hour or so every 3 months to pay for it. :D

My next milestone is pretty far away, so my PCE isn't that raging. For the moment... :twisted:
Erufailon.Atanvarno
Ranger of the North

Postby rwhen » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:04 pm

Okay it pays for my PM, apartment, car, utilities, groceries and BOOZE. Gotta have that job. ;)

But fortunately, THIS job also allows me to start trouble on TORC. Seems like the thing to do lately. ;) :P

Hi Eru, sorry I missed ya this weekend.

Rose, philosophically, I agree with you. WORK SCHMIRK.

Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Time out of Mind, forever bound to my Knight Ayslhyn

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever :hug:
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby RoseMorninStar » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:40 pm

rwhen wrote:
Rose, philosophically, I agree with you. WORK SCHMIRK.

Yeah... I know..easier said than done, hey?
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby rwhen » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:00 pm

Indeed. Right now my niece's puter is being scrubbed down to nuttin' and he will reload all the software for the business. And after I leave, he will do my computer. :shock:

But it is all good, needs to be done. I wasn't able to convince them to go with Firefox... "millions and millions of people use IE, what they should all go to a different browser?" From the brother. *sigh*

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Erufailon.Atanvarno » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:21 pm

Obvioulsy IE is better than Firefox.

Can you do this with Firefox? No.

:roll:
Erufailon.Atanvarno
Ranger of the North

Postby RoseMorninStar » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:40 pm

Eru.... ahahahahahaahahahahahaha :roflmbo:
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Frelga » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:05 pm

GwenElf wrote:By the way, everyone, tomorrow is Luthy's RL birthday, so be sure to pester her about being OLD!

There's too much glass in this house to be chucking stones at Luthy. :lol:

Swine flu, there were a few cases at Lufu's camp and now at school. Just a nasty bug so far, but nothing dramatic. I am hoping that the flu he had during the summer was actually that new bug so he won't get it in winter. I have no sick leave, and two days of vacation time. :(

Ery, :lmbo:
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby Erufailon.Atanvarno » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:31 pm

I think once you get it, you're immune.
Erufailon.Atanvarno
Ranger of the North

Postby RoseMorninStar » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:11 pm

I know that it is spreading around the Universities in Wisconsin.
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby heliona » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:34 am

I don't know why so many people don't get on the Firefox bandwagon. But still, I guess one good thing about it is that all the viruses are still concentrating on IE, so those of us who are on Firefox still don't have to worry as much. :D
Image<-- Cute Border Collie puppy for Cute animal month in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:49 am

rwhen, the obvious response is, if millions of people are jumping off of IE's bridge, do you have to do it to?

:P

Besides, Firefox is the best kept secret everyone knows about!

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck
I can't brain today. I have the dumb.

Postby rwhen » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:48 am

In fact, he did load Firefox and I am using it now. It is not faster to me anyway. But it seems good. Just different. I don't see ads blocked or anything, but I haven't done any special settings yet, like what Rowan has left. Also I lost all my favorites, which are "bookmarks" here, right?

All good. He is still probably going to scrub my puter. He didn't do it yesterday as I asked him to after I left. The Brother says he was here very late last night. *sigh*

I think I am starting a thread for our lady Frelga.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY WOOFTY!!!!! :D:D:D See you on Saturday!!

:hihi:

How low does PCE go? Only da Shadow knows.

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby heliona » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:00 am

Yes, Bookmarks are favourites. Firefox does get a bit of getting used to when you first move over from IE.

Immediately, you may notice less pop-ups. I would suggest going to the Firefox site and getting some add-ons. AdBlock Plus is a definite one. You can even get rid of the ads on TORC. :)

My add-ons are:

AVG Safe Search - which guards against clicking on malicious links (it basically puts a tick against an okay link. I haven't found it to be particularly useful yet, and I can't even remember how I ended up with it!

British English Dictionary - this is just a simple spell-checker.

FireFTP - which is a File Transfer Protocol system for Firefox that I use to update (when I get round to it!) my websites

IE Tab - this allows you to switch your tab between Firefox and IE if the page that you're viewing doesn't support Firefox.

Quick Drag - which allows you to open a link in a new tab by simply dragging the link and also to highlight a word and drag it whereupon Firefox will Google that word in a new window, or you can highlight and drag a url that isn't actively linked and it will open in a new tab.

Save Image in Folder - this means you can save an image from the internet into a specified folder. Very handy when you're searching for images for MoST or MoME for example. ;)

Save Link in Folder - same thing as above, but with links instead of images.

Tab Mix Plus - this just has some added features to the usual tab features.

WebMail Notifier - this checks all of your email addresses and alerts you every time you get a new email. (Handy for the Topic Notifications :))

And of course AdBlock Plus.

There are hundreds of add-ons that you can put onto Firefox and make it your own, which is the beauty of Firefox. If you've got the time, I suggest browsing the Add-On section of the Mozilla website and seeing what interests you. :)

Oh, and I don't have PCE. Nope, no sirree. ;)
heliona

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:09 am

The IE tab thing sounds very useful...I hate it when I come across something that won't open in Firefox! :D

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck

Postby heliona » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:16 am

it is. I've not had occasion to use it a lot, but I do use it to see how my websites look in both IE and Firefox. And it means I don't actually have to open IE, it just changes one tab in Firefox to IE viewing. :)
Image<-- Cute Border Collie puppy for Cute animal month in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona

Postby rwhen » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:34 am

thanks heliona!! Lots to look at and think about. I actually don't want to use IE as it still has issues. I still get redirected from IE, even with all the safeguards put in place. With Firefox I already have AVG loaded and I am adding my bookmarks as I get to them for the first time. I had many in IE that are work related, places that I order product from and such. Also the company bank online. So, as I go to each of these places I will reset the cookies for them.

I don't find it all that different, Google is still the page that comes up for searching. Just looks a bit different. As does IE8. :D I will learn as I go in other words. ;)

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Erufailon.Atanvarno » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:45 am

The IE tab thing only works if you can run IE in the first place. So those of us running Linux or Mac OS are out of luck.

I also started using firefox back when it invented tabs. I found them so incredibly useful that I had to switch. My internet is never closed on my computer, and I have at least 10 tabs open constantly.
Erufailon.Atanvarno
Ranger of the North

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:50 am

IE has tabs now too, but I don't find them nearly as useful (on my mom's computer). I don't use it that often, though.

The thing about FF that made me happy was the less frequent crashes. FF will crash on Facebook on my home computer if someone tries to chat with me, but I think that's the computer's fault.

IrisBrandybuck

Postby rwhen » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:45 am

I managed to crash FF already. ;) But I am getting the hang of it, slowly.

So far, I like it just fine. When I first went to MSN for my email account, I was still redirected, even using FF.

:?

Dunno what's up with that.

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby rowanberry » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:59 am

Thanks for the IE Tab hint, Heliona! That might be one add-on that I'll get. At the moment, I've got Adblock Plus (get it, and get rid of ads!), a couple of skins, and Web of Trust. The last one shows the reliability of a site with colour codes: green (safe), yellow (be careful), and red (beware]. The sites are rated for trustworthiness, vendor reliability, privacy, and child safety.

Oh, and, Image to Luthy!
rowanberry
+++Out Of Cheese Error+++

Postby RoseMorninStar » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:49 am

Happy Birthday Luthy!

I've got to take a look at my add-ons....
I've got AdBlocker.. but I don't know what else I have. :P
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:19 pm

We're sitting here at work, listening to the scanner...there's been a JAILBREAK and they can't find the guy! :shock:

IrisBrandybuck

Postby rwhen » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:22 pm

Did you read/hear about the crazy murderer that escaped from a day outing last week here? They caught him after three days and he did not harm to anyone but I was like... :shock: How the hell could a crazy murderer get away from people?

Hope they catch him Iris.

Rose, I have to do that too. See what fun toys FF offers. :D

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:20 pm

I saw that on the news, rwhen. :shock:

I'm turning on the news now to see if they have any information.

IrisBrandybuck

Postby RoseMorninStar » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:22 pm

Gee.. I'm full of stories lately, but Iris and rwhen..you're comments remind me of something that happened on one of our very memorable vacations...

*blinging noise takes us back in time *

About 10+ years ago we decided to take a vacation to the Grand Canyon. On our long journey we went through Colorado. As we entered the mountains the radio reception started breaking up and we had to turn off the radio. At that point I could kick myself for not bringing along another music source (It was probably tapes in my car back then.) After a very long day in the car we got a hotel and dropped into a much needed sleep. We didn't turn the TV on.. we were so tired and we knew we'd have a long day ahead of us.

A new day dawned & we were off once again, heading toward the Grand Canyon. We enter Utah and Monument Valley, the canyon lands, near Cortez. For anyone who has ever traveled out that way, you know there is nothing.. and I mean NOTHING around for miles. For anyone who has not traveled out that way.. well, there is STILL nothing around for miles and miles. ;) Red dirt and rock formations are about all there is. As we were driving down the lonely highway... we see flashing lights ahead. It's a road block. As we slow down to a stop a uniformed officer approaches our car. He's a U.S. Marshall. After looking at all of us very intently he asks us if we have seen any hitchhikers or people beside the road. 'No,' we answer. He asks us if we have an interior pop for our trunk (yes, we did) so he tells us not to open it yet, but when he gets to the back of our car & gives the 'word' we are supposed to open the trunk. The officer walks around to the back of the car... raises his gun & is poised to shoot at our car! 'NOW!' he shouts. I pop the trunk.. and ... nothing. He comes back to our car & tells us to be on our way. And not to pick up any one beside the road. No questions.

So.. we travel on.. wondering what that was all about. Our radio is still not getting any reception, and our daughter (she was probably about 8 at the time) in the back seat is wondering what just happened. Well, so were we! I told her that they must have been looking for drugs.. although I certainly didn't believe that at all. How can you tell an 8 year old that a murderer is probably out on the loose?! As we drive another mile or so.. still kind of in shock, we see another road-block. Another U.S. Marshall. Everything plays out pretty much the same as the first encounter... except, when the Marshall yelled, 'NOW!' with his gun aimed at our car.. I pop the trunk.. he bursts out laughing! Yes, laughing! He walks around to the drivers side door and says, (still laughing) "You ain't gonna fit ANYONE into THAT trunk!"
We go on our way, again with warnings of not stopping to pick anyone up. But this is Monument Valley. Monument Valley is where they film all of those cool old Western movies. They don't call it Monument Valley for nothing.. the scenery is like none other. I tell hubby to stop for a moment so I can take pictures. As we stop & I am snapping photos... a helicopter out of nowhere makes it's way toward us.. we start to see flashing lights in the distance... My hubby yells at me to 'GET IN THE CAR!!' So much for setting up the tripod.... I get back in the car & we are once again on our way... in a few hours we get to the Grand Canyon. We ask around to see if anyone knows what the U.S. Marshall's are looking for, but no one knows.. they don't get radio coverage.

Two weeks or so later, we get home and I find out that they were looking for a vigilante that had stolen a water truck and had shot a police officer. They had Indian trackers out looking for the man/men. I guess out in that area, if a person is prepared with food and water they can hide out in one of the many caves in the area for years.
I was just now looking this up on the internet to see if I could find anything on it and I found that it must have been the Largest Manhunt in Western History! Interesting.

Sorry for the length of my story! :P For anyone interested here's another article.
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Swordsman_Of_The_Tower » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:14 pm

U2 was awesome, absolutely amazing. Here is a song from the show the night before I went (same venue), (keep in mind my seats were much better then the one this was recorded from as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xrp3ebXs ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksmqCx3a ... re=related

I am going on two hours of sleep, was stuck in traffic for hours, and am hungover as heck still, but it was sooooooooo worth it I would go again in a second.
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower
Ranger of the North

Postby RoseMorninStar » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:26 pm

OHMYGOSH! How lucky are you Louie??? That would be simply amazing!

*is jealous*
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Frelga » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:55 pm

Wow, what a story, Rose!

Swordsman, sounds great. I love live performances not so much for the music but for going crazy with the crowd effect.

FireFox add-ons probably need a thread of their own. My favorites:

Well, Adblock Plus goes without saying. Whenever I get on an non-Adblocked computer I always get shocked by all the banner ads, I get so used to not seeing them.

Read it later is brilliant as well. It allows you to build a reading list by clicking on a website or a link. Perfect when doing research - I just RIL all the links on the page that look interesting and read at leisure. Bonus - you can keep the list online and synch between different computers.

Photobucket Uploader is great for grabbing (with all respect to copyright, of course) pictures off website and saving them to your Photobucket.

Twitterfox shows popup of new Twitter messages on your account. The rest of the time it is a tiny unobtrusive icon.
"You start running they'll never let you stop. You stand up, push back... Can't say no forever right?"
―Steve Rogers, Captain America: The First Avenger
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:57 am

:rofl: What a story Rose!

We had something similar happen in DC, only it was just after 911 and we pulled into the wrong Metro station and they had to search our car.

They still haven't caught the guy. Apparently the guy crawled under a fenc and over another one. :roll: This is the second break in about two years...I think instead of worrying if the jail has air conditioning they might want to update their security first?

:roll:

One of the other reporters is trying to get information and is getting nowhere fast. Most of the time I have a lot of respect for our local police agencies, I mean, they do work hard under tremendous pressure, but this is ridiculous.

IrisBrandybuck

Postby rowanberry » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:25 am

Rose, I bet that was quite scary. :shock:

Hardly anything but flyby posts today; I managed to get online at work for a moment before I head home. :)

And, with this post, I've got 41 to catch Klonkku.
rowanberry
+++Out Of Cheese Error+++

PreviousNext

Return to The Library - General Archive