Serenity now on the TVM!

Find within old venerable threads locked for size reasons. Threads within may be from any category or forum outside of Adoptions and Fandom. This forum is Read-Only.

Postby RoseMorninStar » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:27 pm

I want to go to Durango. We planned a vacation in that area a few years ago, but my Father in Law had cancer with not long to live and we ended up not going far from home that year. I've been to that area years ago. It's lovely.

AVG.. what is that? I'm running Avast and I use Spybot.. on Firefox.
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby notlistening » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:32 pm

Frelgalita, I'll poke him until he pops over to post. I think I was his SS gift-ee from TOB and I never heard from him either. He has been under much pressure of late.

And I've met you too. You are gorgeous!

Calma, glad to know you are still breathing! :shock: It's a good habit to keep up.

Tooks, you out collecting spiders before they hibernate for the winter?? :wink:
notlistening
wandering not lost

Postby SilverScribe » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:35 pm

My turn for a BAP . . . =:)

Gamgee Wench wrote:Scribbles, have a good time with tea and bickies (ok, what are they again? I think you told me but I have a sieve for a brain). :) :)

"Bickies" - a British-ism for "biscuits" or in American/Canadian - cookies. :D Did you end up watching Serenity the other night after Capture the Flag? :) And anything with three sticks of butter in it HAS to taste awesome! Hope your other son had a fantastic birthday, the cake alone must have assured success! :D

Calma, thank you so much. That sig picture is awesome, and I'm enjoying it everytime I see one of your posts! :D

Frelga, then your sword-teacher is doing it right. That was an old trick the Romans used, the training swords were a full third heavier than their battle swords, that way the men developed extra strength and didn't tire so fast when they went into battle with a much lighter sword. Hope the muscle aches ease up though, those aren't fun . . . :) And ROFL! on the Firefly pic . . . :lol:

Dubs, I hope your friend is able to get professional help (and protection) for himself and his child. Family violence, no matter who's doing the hitting, isn't a good situation for anyone involved.

I agree with Frelga about women/girls who take advantage of gentlemen and think they can hit and not get hit back. Although I will always applaud the man who just walks away and refuses to be baited by a woman, there have been times when I've been secretly (and guiltily) pleased when an abusive woman got her clock cleaned, so to speak . . .

Ethel, hopefully kitty has adjusted. Pray you never see Dragonflies, that IS a sign of the end times . . . ;) And yes, staggering was linked to home projects. Although I was sorely tempted to jump the Gaffer and rob him of every drop of his home brew a few times! Your son's campus looks gorgeous, so do you two, and you both look great in blue! A vacation in Colorado? Many, many times. Along with the Pacific Northwest, Cali and Pennsylvania. Alas, so many places, so little time!

nl, hope the assistant gets her wrist slapped for the unauthorized OT. Or something . . . ;) Hope the rest of your week goes better too. :)

heliona, glad to hear the first day wasn't too bad. Enjoy the two days in York with Wilko too. :)

Tyg! waves :hihi: to the Wandering One. Glad you're enjoying the gypsy lifestyle. Ah, to be young and nomadic . . . :D

Hmmm, maybe it was fortunate that I was totally offline for a couple of days, I haven't had any malware attacks . . . then again I run FireFox with Adblock Plus, a managed desktop and both hardware AND software firewalls. Hopefully, it would take a real BIG Trojan Tank to get through. ;)

Although that hasn't stopped something from jumping me . . . I woke up with a scratchy throat and now I'm sneezing. I REFUSE TO BE SICK!!! :P

Maybe I'll drug myself senseless with NyQuil and go to bed. Sounds like a plan. =:)

:D:D:D
SilverScribe
Scribe, Wanderer, Warrior . . . Bard of Rhudaur and Herald of Manwe

Postby RoseMorninStar » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:43 pm

Ethel, I have a very dear friend having a hysterectomy about a week before you do.. she has several pounds of fibroids to have taken care of, and she's going to stay here with me after her surgery for a few days. It's so nice that your brother is going to be such a dear & take care of you. Her brothers are useless.
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Frelga » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:56 pm

notlistening wrote:Frelgalita, I'll poke him until he pops over to post. I think I was his SS gift-ee from TOB and I never heard from him either. He has been under much pressure of late.

So I gathered. If you talk to him, tell him I waved, would ya? :)
And thanks for your kind words. :oops:

Rose, you are an awesome friend. :rose:

Scribbles wrote:Frelga, then your sword-teacher is doing it right. That was an old trick the Romans used, the training swords were a full third heavier than their battle swords, that way the men developed extra strength and didn't tire so fast when they went into battle with a much lighter sword. Hope the muscle aches ease up though, those aren't fun . . .

That makes sense. I bet I looked amusing there, with my arm occasionally just going limp after a few cuts. :roll: And I couldn't exactly stop, being sandwiched between a mirror in front and the black belt who was standing a bit too close practicing his cuts. I was this close from whacking him with the stick, black belt or not. :lol:

Hope you beat off the cold, Scribbles! Have I ever mentioned propolis spray around here? (She said, knowing full well that she had, at least fifteen times) :whistle:
Impressive. Every word in that sentence was wrong.
Luke Skywalker, The Last Jedi
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby Ethel » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:16 pm

RoseMorninStar wrote:Ethel, I have a very dear friend having a hysterectomy about a week before you do.. she has several pounds of fibroids to have taken care of, and she's going to stay here with me after her surgery for a few days. It's so nice that your brother is going to be such a dear & take care of you. Her brothers are useless.

That can go pretty well, I hear. I've never had a woman tell me she was sorry she had the hysterectomy. I fear the major surgery, of course. It's no fun. But I know I'll be OK on the other side. (Isn't my brother the best ever? Offering to come cook for me while I recover, though he has pancreatic cancer? C'mon. That's the real deal.)
Ethel
Mariner

Postby SilverScribe » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:49 pm

Frelga, thanks. I'll look into Propolis spray tomorrow at lunchtime, there's a health food place in the mall a block from work. ;)

Ethel, sorry, I missed responding to your mention of surgery. I hope the operation goes smoothly and you're right, none of the women I know who've had a hysterectomy heve felt anything but loads better afterwards. My girlfriend had one a few years back and said she wish she hadn't waited as long as she did. Blessings, I'll keep both you and your loving, thoughtful brother in my prayers. :D

Rose, I agree with Frelgalita, you're a sweet, wonderful friend. :)

Oi. Drugs are finally taking, I think it's REALLY time for bed.

Cheers y'all. Have a great Hump Day.

SilverScribe

Postby Frelga » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:08 pm

Sweet dreams, Scribbles! This is the kind of spray I use: http://www.amazon.com/Herb-Pharm-Propol ... B000152FFW. LOL at amazon advertising "used and new." Used? :shock:
Impressive. Every word in that sentence was wrong.
Luke Skywalker, The Last Jedi
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:04 am

Wow. This is what happens when I skip TORC for 16 hours. :D:D:D

I have the free AVG, but it didn't stop the stupid virus. :x
I may try the firefox with adblock, but if it sucks up too much memory I'll be crawling anyway. :P

Welp....must trot off and do some work. Y'all behave a bit. :D

PS: Ethel...you got a nice bro! :D

Stars Wars! (memes?)

---------------------------------

Watch my (low budget) movie
here!!!

For more fun, watch this video! ->

Star Trek meets Monty Python!!
Tookish_Traveler
Party-monger

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:51 am

This is completely changing the subject: Y'all probably knew before I did that there really is going to be a PotC 4 now. *nods*

Back to one of the subjects at hand: I just added adBlock to my firefox at work, and I'll do it at home as soon as our internet is back up.

*sigh*

I stopped using Norton and the like when I learned about the free anti-virus programs, thanks to Kim Komando. :D

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck
I can't brain today. I have the dumb.

Postby erinhue » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:56 am

Just switched my sig pic back and I wanted ta see how it looked. Good Morning TORC :lol:
"Where ever you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Bonzi

erinhue
Warrior/Bard of Belfalas Illuvatar's Bright Spirit

Postby Dubatuluk » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:49 am

Ethel wrote:Where do you live, Dubs? I'm in Durango, in the southwest corner. It's a pretty big state, and the Rockies run right down the middle of it. Still, we might be able to m00t up someday...

I'm in the San Luis Valley for the moment, Alamosa to be specific. We should totally moot sometime. :D

UPDATE on my friend: Last night he was conked on the head with a jug of OJ by his wife while we were talking. He's got himself and daughter out of the house and to a hotel I believe. He'll be talking to his lawyer today to see if everything is in order.

The free anti-virus software is light years better than the traditional ones you buy. I find avast to be immensely efficient, and that's the free download version not the professional paid one.

Calma, I know what you mean on the baseball. ;) Incidentally I figured out romance for a guy (in general) just tell him you like baseball. (Helps if you do, like I do.) :D Keep up that breathing thing it's good for ya.

Well, sorry I'm obviously missing people but my breakfast just will not wait any longer. :P

:hihi: have a good day everyone!
Dubatuluk
Ranger of the North

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:57 am

I say we all go to your friend's house and scare his wife witless. :club:

What if the guy doesn't like baseball? :P

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck
I can't brain today. I have the dumb.

Postby rowanberry » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:42 am

Ethel, your brother is a sweetheart. :heart:

nl, I hope spd is doing fine. He's been MIA for quite a while!

Dubs, we should really send the Serenity crew to your friend's place. Hope he'll get out from that marriage now! :(

I got a free three-month trial of Norton with this computer, but ditched it already before that time was over, and changed to an F-Secure package provided by my ISP provider because I wasn't aware of the free software at that time. It has worked well, though, and isn't as paranoid as Norton.
rowanberry
+++Out Of Cheese Error+++

Postby Dubatuluk » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:46 am

IrisBrandybuck wrote:What if the guy doesn't like baseball? :P

That's why I said "in general" :P lol.
Dubatuluk
Ranger of the North

Postby RoseMorninStar » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:16 am

Dubs.. my very best wishes to your friend. I don't know what the statistics are for men.. but unfortunately for women who leave abusive relationships it is very common that they go back. :( I know a woman (extended relative) who left her husband & took her 4 remaining children (the oldest one having committed 'suicide' under some suspicious circumstances) and went to a shelter. This woman is very religious.. they home school and home church, so they have very little outside contact. Her 'friends' shamed her into going back to her husband because of their religion. We are waiting for the other shoe to drop now.. because once they have been at a shelter and refuse to follow the rules (calling/seeing the abusive partner) and leave, they cannot go back to the shelter.

I recently had my computer worked on and the 'expert' AT & T sent over installed the free AVAST! on my system. He says it's one of the best out there.

Who is spd?

'Hue.. your siggy is looking fine!
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby rowanberry » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:28 am

Rose, spd is a guy who used to post here quite actively at one time; he also posts on The Outer Banks, one of the spinoff sites. He's been caught up in real life for quite a while now, with very little time to post, so you've probably never "met" him. He's also been going through some hard times, which has left him even less time to get online.
rowanberry
+++Out Of Cheese Error+++

Postby RoseMorninStar » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:30 am

Oh.. that's always sad to hear.. even when I don't know the person. :( I hope things improve for him.
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby SilverScribe » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:19 am

Yikes, I'm sorry to hear Speedy (spd) is having troubles too! Nice guy, his Magic Bottomless Cooler was always a huge hit (along with his own fine self, of course) in any thread he chose to visit. Pass on my hello's and good wishes too, please?

Oooo a fourth Pirates? Hmmm, I hope it's not as long winded as PotC 2 & 3. Although if Johnney is in most of the shots, I'll hardly notice or mind . . . =:)

Had no chance to check out the propolis spray today, since I decided to log an extra hour and a half of sleep and work from home. Throat is fine today . . . my head is a bit stuffy but not too bad. I stayed home mostly so that I wouldn't spread whatever joy I have at the office . . . ;)

Later!

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~
Fur meine Mutter . . . Sie sind für immer in meinem Herzen . . .

A song for our Fallen, but not Forgotten . . . Galadriel's Lament
SilverScribe

Postby RoseMorninStar » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:33 am

Fourth PoC? Johnny Depp you say? Yummy. :P :D
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Vanaladiel » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:31 pm

Dubs I hope your friend does not go back and that his wife grows up and realizes you can not bully another human being. It just isn't right. Now if she had had my mom she would have been ready for retribution. My mom always said if a woman hits a man she better be prepared to get hit back. That she gives her blessing to a man to hit back then. Needless to say I never raise a hand against anyone else.
Image Spring come quickly!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

We mourn the loss of another wonderful man from TORC! oldtoby we will always remember you and your wit and smile! Love you my friend! RIP 1/20/18

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Tygarya » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:27 pm

Ethel - I am liking your new choice of banner ;) Welcome to the dark side :D

Your brother does sound nice, my brother would probably do the same, if i had no one else to call on ;)

Well here i am parked up in the bus down by the river, the sun is shining the grass is dewy, the river is flowing nicely....idyllic setting :D and i have internet still ;) what could be any better? :D:D
Tygarya
Ringbearer

Postby SilverScribe » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:37 pm

Tygarya wrote:Well here i am parked up in the bus down by the river, the sun is shining the grass is dewy, the river is flowing nicely....idyllic setting :D and i have internet still ;) what could be any better? :D:D

Do you have a nice cold beer in your hand? That's about all I can think of that might improve the picture just a wee bit . . . you lucky gal you. ;)

Vana, is that the other side of your new tat? Verrrry pretty, I must say. :)

An hour of work yet to go . . . guess I should go and get to it. :P

SilverScribe

Postby Tygarya » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:50 pm

SilverScribe wrote:
Tygarya wrote:Well here i am parked up in the bus down by the river, the sun is shining the grass is dewy, the river is flowing nicely....idyllic setting :D and i have internet still ;) what could be any better? :D:D

Do you have a nice cold beer in your hand? That's about all I can think of that might improve the picture just a wee bit . . . you lucky gal you. ;)

Well I would have a red wine in my hand, but its only 10am here ;) So a nice cuppa it is :D
Tygarya
Ringbearer

Postby erinhue » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:03 pm

I was sad witness to too much domestic violence growing up. I always tried to stand up for my mom, the man that is my father nearly beat me ta death once for trying but it never stopped me. I got sisters and I think I would go nuts on any guy that tried that on them.

Now as for the other way around. I am almost tempted to say she should get what she dishes out but I can't go that far. I do hope this fellow has gotten his child out of the way because even if they are not direct victims children are always negatively affected by violence in the home. I remember seeing my baby sister in total hysterics as we cringed in a back room and helplessly listened to what was going on. Hearing is just as bad as seeing. I wish him and his child well and hope he has the strenght to do the right thing and leave that woman for good. He will be doing his child an immeasurable favor.

erinhue

Postby RoseMorninStar » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:12 pm

Wow 'Hue.. that breaks my heart. It's wonderful if none of you ended up in a similar situation as adults, which is sadly too often the case. Nothing but a vicious cycle for far too many people. I went through some abuse as a child.. but I don't remember my dad beating on my mom. He threatened to shoot himself in the head once and ran around with a gun. That was not a good night... The yelling, the upheaval.. nasty stuff. If I know of anyone in an abusive situation I don't tell them to get up and go.. I tell them to get up and RUN. And don't look back. I am so glad that I have never had any of that in my adult life or brought it into my home.

Dubs.. I hope your friend stands strong. If not for himself, for his child. We're all rooting for him!
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby erinhue » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:25 pm

Amen and Amen

erinhue

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:31 pm

*sneaks in from home for the first time in a few days*

So far so good.

:D

:hihi: to one and all. Unfortunately I can't stick around. :P
Other stuff needs done.

Behave.

yea.
right.

:D

Stars Wars! (memes?)

---------------------------------

Watch my (low budget) movie
here!!!

For more fun, watch this video! ->

Star Trek meets Monty Python!!
Tookish_Traveler
Party-monger

Postby SilverScribe » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:47 pm

Tookish_Traveler wrote:Behave.

. . . prepares to misbehave . . .

Well, it IS Serenity Month ya know . . . Mal would hang me off the port engine if I didn't at least make some attempt to misbehave. ;)

Well, another day, another dime. Must go see about some more drugs for this mildly annoying stuffy head, then I suppose I should think about some dinner.

Dubs, I echo everyone else when I say that I'm rooting for your friend. I'm glad he's managed to get himself and his child away from the abuse. Hopefully, the lawyer will be able to put something effective into place to protect them both.

. . . saunters off to get into mischief . . .

SilverScribe

Postby Calma » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:55 pm

Starts misbehaving.....

Calma
Crazy Cat Lady

Location: Up the road, across the street, down the lane, and around the bend

PreviousNext

Return to The Library - General Archive