The NEW Food thread, a home for FOODIES!!

Find within old venerable threads locked for size reasons. Threads within may be from any category or forum outside of Adoptions and Fandom. This forum is Read-Only.

Postby elfshadow » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:06 am

I absolutely LOVE deviled eggs. :love: I bet I could go a long time eating only deviled eggs and not get tired of them. I put mustard and mayo in mine, as well as a bit of white vinegar and salt and pepper. And, of course, paprika. So so so good.

But you know, I don't think I have ever eaten a bad deviled egg, no matter who made it. So I think that just about every combination of ingredients turns out fantastic.

Count me in as another lover of pico de gallo and guac! Especially guac. I love guac that's made almost solely of avocado, with some lime juice and salt and pepper, and maybe a finely diced tomato. I mostly just like it to be all avocado.

Birdy that sounds delicious. :love: Perhaps you would consider making some for a certain happy event that we are both attending next August? :whistle: :angel:
elfshadow
Ringbearer

Postby rwhen » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:50 am

Elsha :hug: I agree, I could eat deviled eggs all day. I do know a few people who don't like them, but very few, when I make them for the family gatherings I make a dozen, which is 24 right? They don't last an hour, if that. I make mine a bit different than you. I add the juice from sweet pickle relish, dijon mustard, mayo, a bit of miracle whip, a bit of sour cream and then my spices. I do dust the tops with paprika. I also cook two extra eggs so that I have more yolk than whites. I don't like runny filling.

Yeah, Birdy, you can make me that ice cream ANY time. :D
Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!OldToby

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Time out of Mind, forever bound to my Knight Ayslhyn

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever :hug:
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby RoseMorninStar » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:24 pm

I went to Penzey's spice store in Milwaukee this morning. I spent a small bundle. I hear that they are going to be branching their stores out across the nation. They had just about anything one could think of in regards to spices.. four different types of cinnamon! And a lot of blends. What was nice is that every spice they had there was a jar that you could pick up & smell it.

In my deviled eggs I use a little mayo, minced celery, celery salt, horseradish, mustard, parsley, sometimes a bit of chive, and the egg yolk of course. Dust the tops with Paprika. I feel like making some now. :P
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Vanaladiel » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:43 pm

Deviled eggs are so delicious!!! YUM!!!

Hey there my SSOTH 143!!! :hug:
Image Spring come quickly!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

We mourn the loss of another wonderful man from TORC! oldtoby we will always remember you and your wit and smile! Love you my friend! RIP 1/20/18

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby rwhen » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:44 pm

Hi Rose, glad you had a good time in the spice shop. I would probably spend a weeks paycheck there myself. ;) I will look for the name as they roll out nationally.

Deviled eggs. I know I have had them where they weren't to my taste, but that is because they were bland. Your recipe sounds good to me and I also use a dab of creamy horseradish if I have it in the fridge. And if I don't a pinch of cayanne in my spice mix. I also grate a tiny bit of fresh nutmeg in mine.

I will have mine tomorrow, so I can wait until then. :D Plus I taste it so much before I stuff them, I get the fill that way too.

What's for supper?

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Vanaladiel » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:55 pm

Did we cross post and you not see me my sweet sister?? :D

I came in to say HI and give you a HUGE :hug:
Image Spring come quickly!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

We mourn the loss of another wonderful man from TORC! oldtoby we will always remember you and your wit and smile! Love you my friend! RIP 1/20/18

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby rwhen » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:01 pm

Yes we did.

Big huge loving hugs to you my sweet sister of the heart. 143 and enjoy those kids AND the special BBQ you are having on Saturday with Jiy and Elenath!!! Please give both (and Guru too) my love. :hug:

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby RoseMorninStar » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:51 pm

HUGS TO ALL! :grouphug:

Have a spicy holiday weekend (well.. for those of you in the States anyway) and for everyone else.. well, just have a spicy! :P :D
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Erufailon.Atanvarno » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:13 pm

Oh ok, I've eaten deviled eggs before then. I love them! :D

Tonight for dinner, I made pasta completely from scratch, including the sauce. It didn't taste super amazing, but it's great knowing everything that's being put in your food. :lol:

If it's spicy, I'll eat it. I always have a bottle of hot sauce ready because it works with any meal. :twisted:
Erufailon.Atanvarno
Ranger of the North

Postby ShadowSwallow » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:49 pm

Tonight for dinner, I made pasta completely from scratch, including the sauce.

Did you make the actual pasta? :D We did that at the last m00t (poor TG got stuck with the job of slicing up the actual noodles) and it was to die for. :love:

And for those of you who asked for the recipe to the ice cream-- here you are. :D
ShadowSwallow
Ranger of the North

Postby Morwenna » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:38 pm

I love deviled eggs! The only kind I'm not thrilled about are the ones that use pickles (sorry, rwhen). Ours are fairly simple: mayo, mustard, onion, and a dusting of paprika. Occasionally hubby will use curry powder. Some of those listed on this thread sound Yummy!! (I remember one party we went to some years back. We brought a tray of deviled eggs and partway through the party the whole tray went missing. Somewhat later we discovered that some attendees who had gone downstairs to the rec room had taken the tray with them!)

I also love guacamole, but that's something I don't get at home because it's one thing hubby doesn't care for.

The black bean soup became chili, which we had last night. Tonight the chili became chili-mac. Tomorrow it may do the same.

Happy 4th, fellow Americans, and happy weekend to all.

:hihi:
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Erufailon.Atanvarno » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:04 am

Birdy, yeah we did. Except I have one of those pasta machines where you turn the crank and feed the dough, and it flattens and cuts it for you. :D
Erufailon.Atanvarno
Ranger of the North

Postby elfshadow » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:15 am

I made pasta once in cooking class in middle school with a machine. It was fun! I'd love to do it more often, maybe I will invest in one. I'd also really like to learn how to make the fun shapes, like farfalle.

I do love making homemade pasta sauce too. I have a pretty killer recipe, I must say.

And count me in as another one who adores spicy things! I will eat almost anything if it's spicy. I looove spicy stuff! :love:
elfshadow
Ringbearer

Postby ShadowSwallow » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:34 am

Oooh, awesome. :love: I think TG would've liked it if we had that. Or if we had a pizza cutter. Or a decent knife. :P

Today our kitchen has been taken over by my mom and sister who are using it to make soap. I'm staying way out of the way. :P
ShadowSwallow
Ranger of the North

Postby Morwenna » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:03 pm

Oh, homemade soap is wonderful! (I don't make it; I buy it from those who do.) But that's a whole 'nother thread--the Crafters' guild, maybe.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Erufailon.Atanvarno » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:45 pm

Elsha, if you feel like revealing that killer recipie, I would love to try it. :D
Erufailon.Atanvarno
Ranger of the North

Postby RoseMorninStar » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:08 pm

I've made my own pasta before.. mostly for things like pierogies or homemade egg-noodles for beef stroganoff or something. I do have a machine that will roll it out thin, but then I have to hand cut it. It doesn't come out like spaghetti noodles.

I found the grill stew recipe I was looking for!

Mom's Grill Stew
2 pounds lean chuck cut into 1 inch cubes
6 medium potatoes, peeled (if you wish) cut into small chunks
6 tablespoons chopped onions
6 carrots cut into 1/4 inch slices
1/3 cup chopped parsley
2 (10 1/2 oz) cans condensed golden mushroom soup (cream of mushroom soup is NOT the same)
Salt & pepper to taste
6 tablespoons water with 5 or 6 drops of Tabasco sauce added to it.

Divide all ingredients into 6 parts and place in 6 large squares of heavy duty tinfoil, place on grill or campfire. Cooking time varies.

To make this in the oven:
Brown the meat in a roaster for 15 to 20 minutes. Reduce to 350. Add the rest of the ingredients and cook for about an hour.
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby elfshadow » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:13 pm

I'd love to, Eru! Only thing is I am not very good at measuring, so I sort of just add things to it and hope that it turns out okay. It's really simple but comes out quite tasty.

I saute about half an onion and a few cloves of garlic (more garlic if you love garlic, as I do) in some olive oil. After they get happy together for a few minutes, I add a whole bunch of sliced mushrooms. I use regular button mushrooms, and you can use as many as you want. I love mushrooms so I add more. You could make it without mushrooms if you wanted to. Add some more olive oil if you need to and saute them with the onions and garlic for a few minutes. At this point it's best to add a splash or two of red wine. It also helps to have a glass of red wine on the side. This makes the sauce taste better once it's finished. :D Once the saute mixture is nice and soft and golden, add several leaves of torn fresh basil and saute them until they wilt. You can use dried basil but the fresh tastes better. Now add a big can of diced tomatoes and a small can of tomato paste. You can use fresh tomatoes instead of the diced tomatoes, the sauce will just have to cook longer. This substitution only works if the fresh tomatoes are GOOD tomatoes--they must be in season. If they aren't the ripest, tastiest fresh tomatoes the sauce may end up tasting bland. Anyway, add these ingredients and lower the heat so that the sauce simmers. Add some salt and pepper to taste, as well as some oregano (fresh or dried). Thyme or a bit of rosemary would be good too, as long as they aren't the overpowering flavor. Then just let the ingredients get happy together for about 20-30 minutes. And it's done!
elfshadow
Ringbearer

Postby portia » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:09 pm

I also love pico de gallo and guacamole. I like mine with a lot of tomato and onion.

Devilled eggs. . .mostly, I like them. The ones I do not like have just whipped up egg yolks, with no extras. One of our friends is under orders to bring devilled eggs to our 4th of July party, with an extra plate just for Mr. Portia. It will be hidden in the refrigerator.

Someone once asked me if they have Fourth of July in the UK. :shock:
UMMM. I suppose so, otherwise what would they put between the 3d and the 5th?
portia
Ringbearer

Postby heliona » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:56 pm

I love devilled eggs. :D Yumm! I haven't made any in ages. It's not really something you make just for yourself - there's a lot of effort involved just for a few eggs. But if you're making lots for a barbecue, then that's different. :D

That sauce sounds delicious, Elsha. Whenever I make a tomato pasta sauce, it always ends up being what's in my fridge! The main ingredients, apart from onions, garlic, peppers, etc are almost always a tomato pesto from Sacla (they do make absolutely gorgeous sauces), some tomato ketchup, a dash (or possibly about three!) of Lee & Perrins (aka Worcestershire sauce, which I suppose you don't get over in the US) and maybe some gravy powder if the sauce looks a little runny. Before I'd killed off my herbs :( I used to put fresh herbs into, now it's my herbs that I dried before they died. Very yummy. :D

4th July - yes, we do have it! But it's just another day to us, unless we're celebrating getting rid of the US. ;)

I'm hoping to have a barbecue sometime this week. The weather's been gorgeous recently and has got me hankering for one. Of course, now the weather's turned, so I suppose I'll have to get everything in in preparation, just for when the sun does come out for any length of time!

As for spicy foods, I'm not terribly into them, although Wilko is slowly converting me to medium spicy curry. I don't think I'll go beyond medium for quite a while, though. Not until I have no taste buds left. :D

One thing I made from scratch a wee while ago was Southern Fried Chicken. It was delicious and so easy. I was really surprised how easy it was. I'm sure you all know how to make it, but I had a hankering for it, and didn't want to go to a KFC, so I thought I'd give making my own a go. Yumm!
Image<-- Celebrating Science in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby elfshadow » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:30 am

heliona, we definitely get worstershire sauce in the States! :D I don't eat it personally because there's anchovies or something in it, and I'm a vegetarian, but you can get veggie versions too. But your sauce sounds wonderful!! Lucky for you that you have your own herbs too. :) I'm moving back in with my parents in about a month so I'll have really good herbs then because we grow them--but here, no such luck. :P
elfshadow
Ringbearer

Postby rowanberry » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:17 am

We tried a new place in this town to eat today. I had just delicious Pasta Carbonara and hot apple pie with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce.

I think we're going to favour this one when we're visiting here. :thumbsup:
Image I'm judging MoST again this year! Ready for the opening banquet...

MoME 2013 results are in!

The Sons of Fëanor re-embodied in the beginning of the Fourth Age? Yes, for The Maedhros and Tygarya Saga – and, as fire-hearted as ever!

On my way to Morannon on the Walk to Rivendell and Beyond!

Shire and Shutter - the TORC photoblog

Thoughts about dance, life, and everything
rowanberry
+++Out Of Cheese Error+++

Postby Morwenna » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:15 pm

We sure do have Lea & Perrins! There's a bottle on our counter right now! Neither hubby nor I would know how to run a kitchen without it! :) Mom always used it to make her beef stews and gravies, and a friend of mine taught me to use it in scrambled eggs. Hubby uses it for many things. And I discovered myself that it's great for sauteing mushrooms in (along with butter)!
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby portia » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:09 pm

Yes; yes, we have Lea and Perrins! I grew up on it, and wouldn't be without it. We also have HP Sauce, which is always in our kitchen.

From the other side of the globe, we also have Thai/Vietnamese fish sauce. This is one of those things one should not watch being made, like sausage and legislation, but it perks up meat dishes nicely.

I have survived our 4th of July party. We used up 6 bottles of wine, about 50 ground meat patties, about 40 hot dogs, buns and condiments to go with both, most of a large keg of locally brewed beer, uncounted soda pops, and a lot of salads and desserts that the guests brought, including a really nice pineapple upside down cake and a concoction of blue and red jello, with whipped cream and berries.

The fireworks were very good, and there were more boats out on the lake than could be counted. At the end, you could hear cheering and horn honking from all over.

Since we used disposable/recyclable plates, "glasses," and flatware, cleanup was not too bad. No one spilled anything bad, or broke anything. All in all, a success.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby heliona » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:15 am

Oh, yes, it's coming back to me now. Your Lee & Perrins has a beige label doesn't it? Ours has a bright orange one that makes it easy to spot on a shelf. I think it was Heinz Salad Cream that we always had difficulty getting in the US. It's just not the same putting mayonnaise on your sandwiches. :D

(By the way, apologies for any typos; I burnt my hand last night whilst cooking :doh: and now have to resort to typing with one hand!)
Image<-- Celebrating Science in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby rwhen » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:38 am

Hello to the FOODIES!!!

Sounds like a load of food was consumed this weekend. :D

My family did indeed have the celebration party this holiday weekend. And indeed 16 people did show up. 7 kids, 9 adults. And it was HOT...98 by 4pm. But all the food was great and a good time had.

I only use Worcestershire sauce when I make a roast, I put it on before searing off the roast with other spices and such, other than that I don't use it for anything. But I like it.

So my brother calls me yesterday and says he wants my lobster tails that I have been saving. *shrug* So I gave them to him. Today when I came in to work he tells me that he didn't use two of them but let them thaw out anyway, so I guess I know what I am having tonight. Too expensive to let them go to waste. Not that this is a horrid thing, I love lobster, but I was trying to save them for after the last easy pay on QVC. :roll:

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Morwenna » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:48 pm

A lot of our bottled things have orange labels, but I think they're all soy sauce. I could be wrong.

We didn't do anything picnicky for the 4th, but we did go out to watch the fireworks. We went to the almost-top of a nearby hill where we could see about 5 or 6 different fireworks displays from around the area, including our local one (for which you had to position yourself just right in order to see the ground displays between the buildings...). All in all we were out over an hour.

Supper tonight was lamb chops and saffron rice. Poor hubby, the chops had been frozen and though he cooked them on all 4 sides, they were still too rare in the middle for me (the only rare meat I ever got used to was beef). So he sliced one chop up into strips and squares and re-cooked those! And finally it was fine. And BTW, he cooked them in, among other things, Worcestershire sauce. :)
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby RoseMorninStar » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:41 pm

Rwhennie.. your brother reimbursed you for your lobsters, didn't he? :( I hope so. That would be a shame.

I don't use Worcestershire sauce a lot.. for a roast, like rwhen said.. and in omelets or scrambled eggs.

The Japanese put sauce on everything. They love sauces. When we have had Japanese exchange students come they always have to make a dish for the family.. and everything has a sauce. I sometimes wonder what is in some of those sauces... :shock: They really don't care for sweets..and they love salty stuff.

I haven't been too creative in the cooking department lately. Too much else to do. Summer is such a busy time.. and this summer is certainly no exception!
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby rwhen » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:37 am

Hey Rose friend, he will. I ordered a batch for him last week, it will be here on Thursday and he intends to repay me the lobsters that he got when I first got mine and the ones he got on the weekend.

Last night I had hot italian sausage and peppers over penne. Very good. I keep some of that mix in the freezer normally, but ran out. It is always the best when it is fresh, the sausage doesn't reheat as well for me. However, spaghetti sauce with sausage DOES. Go figure.

Morwenna, I love lamb chops, and I love them rare. I don't really care for lamb any other way. But I have been assured that there are ways of making it that I would like. I just haven't had it yet. ;)

:hihi:

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Ayslhyn » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:30 am

I'm sure you would like these m'lady

Spicy Lamb Kebabs

The yogurt-based marinade would also work well with cubed beef sirloin steak

Yield
8 servings (serving size: 1 kebab and 1 lemon wedge)

Ingredients
1 cup plain fat-free yogurt
1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 tablespoons grated peeled fresh ginger
2 teaspoons paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 1/2 pounds boneless leg of lamb, trimmed and cubed
Cooking spray
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
8 lemon wedges
Preparation
Combine first 11 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add lamb to bag; seal and marinate in refrigerator for 3 hours, turning bag occasionally.

Prepare grill to medium-high heat.

Remove lamb from bag, and discard marinade. Thread lamb onto 8 (10-inch) skewers. Place kebabs on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 8 minutes or until desired degree of doneness, turning occasionally. Place kebabs on a platter; sprinkle with mint. Serve with lemon wedges.
:) :)
Ayslhyn
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to The Library - General Archive