The NEW Food thread, a home for FOODIES!!

Find within old venerable threads locked for size reasons. Threads within may be from any category or forum outside of Adoptions and Fandom. This forum is Read-Only.

Postby rwhen » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:16 am

LOL. Yeah, I love it. I don't really "do" puds except for trifles anyway. Just not that much of a dessert type gal really.
Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!OldToby

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Time out of Mind, forever bound to my Knight Ayslhyn

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever :hug:
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Ayslhyn » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:21 am

Know what you mean. Apart from summer fruits. strawberries, raspberries, peaches, cherries and blueberries I'm not much of a puddin' man myself.

Plus I can't bake worth a dime. My rare attempts at cakes always resemble frisbees and you could use my pastry as siding. I suck at desserts.

:)
Ayslhyn
Ranger of the North

Postby Erufailon.Atanvarno » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:33 am

Did someone say fruit? :love:

I think I've eaten over 500 cherries these past few days. :D

Ayslhyn, that pudding recipie looks really good. Will any homemade bread work? I have an excellent bread recipie that is very easy and the most delicious I've ever tasted. I haven't bought bread from the store in over a year. I'll put up the recipie when I get home.

I find it ridiculous how we import fruit to Vancouver from California. There is so much fruit growing in the interior; it should be illegal to get it from the States when we can find it in our backyard.
Erufailon.Atanvarno
Ranger of the North

Postby Ayslhyn » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:39 am

Hi Eru. Wholemeal bread might not work so well but any other kind of white bread will work fine. Just make sure it isn't too fresh or it will just turn to mush.

I just love summer fruit. Go mad on it every year though I draw the line at buying cherries imported from Turkey that cost almost £5 a pound.
Ayslhyn
Ranger of the North

Postby Erufailon.Atanvarno » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:41 am

:shock:

In the city, it's about $4 a pound, but in the interior where they are grown, you can find them as low as $1/lb and they're really big and juicy.

What's everyone's favorite fruit? I've got to say mine is watermelon. :D
Erufailon.Atanvarno
Ranger of the North

Postby Ayslhyn » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:46 am

I do like watermelon. Lovely stuff but my favourite fruit is peaches or nectarines.

To die for!
Ayslhyn
Ranger of the North

Postby rwhen » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:59 am

Banana? :shock:

Eru, I am allergic to most all fruits, so nothing to offer here. I did check out your piccies of your vacation and posted in the PCE about it. Very nice. I need to get back to Banff and Jasper someday. :D I would welcome your bread recipe.

Ayslhyn, I bite at desserts too, as you know. It is the whole measuring thing I think. I am not that precise when I cook and baking is a science. It is also all Greek to me. ;) :D Now biscuits are different. I can make those blindfolded, that is something I started doing from a small kid and it stayed with me all my life. And it is EASY as well.

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Erufailon.Atanvarno » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:14 am

I saw that rwhen, I think we cross posted. :D

I find it easier to follow a strict recipie, because I don't have the same magic touch that you two do when it comes to cooking. :)
Erufailon.Atanvarno
Ranger of the North

Postby RoseMorninStar » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:02 pm

AH! I don't know if one should get me started on fruit. I don't know if I could chose only one favorite. I suppose a lot depends upon what is in season and what is right in front of me! :D Raspberries are high up there.. as well as blueberries, strawberries, cherries, grapes, bananas, apples (they're so versatile) pears, apricots!, peaches, nectarines, melon--watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew, kiwi, figs, dates, rhubarb. I don't know if there's a fruit I've tasted that I've not liked. Breadfruit.. I have not tried. That is supposed to be .. icky. :P

I'll have to try the bread pudding. I've never had one with fruit instead of a custard base (and yes Lady rwhen, I'd love your recipe). I sometimes make it when I have leftover homemade raisin bread. I thought all British loved custard.. they serve it on a lot of deserts over there.. and one thing I do like about custard sauce is that it is usually not overly sweet as most icings and other deserts are.

Last night I snagged two discounted rotisserie chickens so I'll be trying the enchilada recipe rwhen! I need to go out & get some green chilies and some salsa verde. And I don't think they have handmade tortillas around here! :( I'm sure it'll be fine though.
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby erinhue » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:02 pm

I figure this is the place to really talk about this. Over the weekend I tried making chicken curry and it came out not only edible but pretty darn good if I do say so myself, and I do. Generally I call out, bring in or we go eat somewhere. I can make spaghetti and a decent meatloaf and bacon and eggs but that was about it. Now I am trying to do more cooking at home and I must say I gotta hand it to all of you that have been doing this on a regular basis.

This success had encouraged me to try to widen my recipe list, heck I might even try to bake a cake. Yep Im feeling real ambitious at the moment :wink:
"Where ever you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Bonzi

erinhue
Warrior/Bard of Belfalas Illuvatar's Bright Spirit

Postby Frelga » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:04 pm

What did you put in your curry, Hue?

Fruit! I love all fruit, but I can't survive without apples. Hubby knows to make sure I have apples at that tricky time of the month. The worst time of the year for me is mid-summer when last year's apples have gone icky, and then new harvest is not in yet. Of course, there's always New Zealand but it's just not the same.

Rose, I have a rotisserie chicken for dinner, too. :)
Impressive. Every word in that sentence was wrong.
Luke Skywalker, The Last Jedi
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby Vanaladiel » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:13 pm

Oh I love desserts like Flan!! A very smooth caramel coated custard from the Hispanic community. YUM!!!. :P .... Oh wait you asked about fruit....

My favorite fruit is........... let me see I love cantaloupe, honeydew, Golden Delicious Apples, Strawberries, cherries, seedless grapes, and seedless Oranges. I enjoy bananas now and then but I tire of them easily. I don't do raspberries or blackberries even though they are so good because the acid in them burns my stomach. I don't know why but they do.

Hue you can cook for me anytime. :D I don't enjoy cooking but Ryan loves to fix dinner for me, so I let him. We love to eat out too. Or order in. :D Your curry sounds good though. :P
Image Spring come quickly!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

We mourn the loss of another wonderful man from TORC! oldtoby we will always remember you and your wit and smile! Love you my friend! RIP 1/20/18

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby erinhue » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:27 pm

Hmm let's see I had chunks of chicken breast, curry powder, onions, garlic both the real peal it and chop it thing. some cumin and white rasins. Still got some which Im gonna take for lunch tommorrow.

erinhue

Postby erinhue » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:29 pm

Oh yeah I got a box of Basmati rice to go with it. I figured if it was indian curry it oughta be indian rice to go with. Ooooo now Im hungry.

erinhue

Postby Erufailon.Atanvarno » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:38 am

Tonight I made pizza.... on the BBQ! :D

It tasted quite good, as I had no expectations going into this little experiment.
Erufailon.Atanvarno
Ranger of the North

Postby Ayslhyn » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:58 am

BBQ pizza? well that's different :)

I'm doing chicken fajitas and spicy ribs tonight. I need something to wake me up after being on a boring study day for work.
Ayslhyn
Ranger of the North

Postby rwhen » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:40 am

Hey Hue, welcome to the wonderful world of the FOODIES. Your curry and rice sounds great. There have been some really good recipes left on this and the past thread if you are looking for inspiration. Cooking gets in your blood I think. So many recipes, so little time.

Eru, how did the grilled pizza come out?

Ayslhyn? Fajitas!! Yum. Psssssss. On the Fadoodle thread you were the last to guess right, if you want to continue, post a new one, or I will push it forward, no worries either way.

Last night I didn't eat. I had a bunch o' tests at the Drs and it left me puny. But today I am hungry, getting set to go out to eat with the office peoples, late breakfast. Yesterday I ordered some steakburgers, ribeye steaks and jumbo prawns from KC Steaks that will be here on Friday. So this weekend will be a tasty one. Tonight, I think I will have the left over tuna bake that I made last Sunday and froze the balance.

Laters!!!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby rwhen » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:29 am

Good morning Foodies.

Ayslhyn. Thanks for starting the food recipe archive. I will post comments here and save that thread just for the recipes, great job. I know it is tedious to go through the two threads and copy them over. Great job. :hug:

Rose you asked for my bread pudding recipe with brandy sauce.

Bread Pudding with Brandy Sauce:

(NOTE: make sauce first)

Ingredients:

Day old french bread or brioche - cut into 1/2" cubes - 6 cups
3 cups of whole milk
3 large eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
2 teasp. GOOD vanilla extract
1/2 teasp. cinnamon
1/4 teasp. fresh grated nutmeg
1/8 teasp. kosher salt
2/3 cup raisins (optional - I do not use this as I don't like raisins)
2 tablesps melted butter

Put cubed bread in a large bowl and pour milk in, stir a bit to break up and let sit until the milk is absorbed. While that is happening, in another bowl beat by hand the eggs, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt together until combined. Stir in the bread mixture. Gently stir and add raisins if you like. Pour into buttered baking dish/casserole. Drizzle the melted butter over the top.

Place in preheatedf 350 oven for approx. one hour or until set (passes the toothpick test fairly well but not totally dryed out). Take out and cool and cut into squares OR what I do is poke holes all over it with a chop stick then pour 1/2 the sauce over the top.

Sauce:

1/2 cup butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup of brandy or bourbon

In a saucepan on low heat, melt butter then add sugar and egg whisking to blend well. Cook over low heat stirring constantly until mixture thickens. Whisk in brandy. Remove from heat and chill. Whisk before serving. If it is too thick, add a TOUCH of water. Pour over cut squares or pour half over the dish with the holes in it. I serve it rustic style by spooning it out with a ladle and then drizzle some sauce over the top. Serve with a good vanilla ice cream or fresh whipped cream if you like.

I got this recipe from Southern Cooking Magazine about 20 years ago and have made it many many times, it never fails to please. YUMMY. Hope you enjoy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last night was tequilla lime chicken breast with a green salsa on top. I made butter noodles on the side. YUM.

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Ayslhyn » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:44 am

Morning m'lady and all foodies.

Trawling through the original thread is gonna take about a zillion years of very tedious cut and paste :) but some good stuff in there that I had forgotten about.
Ayslhyn
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:47 am

Ayslhyn!!! :clap: I have missed posting with you hon!!! :hug:

How are you today folks?? I missed you all so much!!!
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

We mourn the loss of another wonderful man from TORC! oldtoby we will always remember you and your wit and smile! Love you my friend! RIP 1/20/18

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Ayslhyn » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:50 am

Well met Lady Vana, you may be sure Patsy is cutting capers so pleased is he to see you :wink:

He might even make you a special dish of Slug Surprise.
Ayslhyn
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:08 am

Oh no please you need not do that for me hon!!! I am touched but that truly is not necessary hon!! Thank you, thank you but no thank you!!! Really I am fine and have no need for them.
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby rwhen » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:21 am

Ah come on, Vanadarlin'. Escargot = slugs. :D

What's for supper tonight you two?

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Ayslhyn » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:26 am

Well hopefully not Slug Surprise m'lady (as Patsy says "well the slug WAS surprised) :)

It is Mrs A's cooking day so she is doing pork chops with applesauce, mashed taters and cabbage. We have a cherry cheesecake for dessert (bought from Waitrose)

Hoe bout you ladies?
Ayslhyn
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:32 am

Ah it is our pizza night!!! Though if my love does not get home in time it will be delayed till tomorrow night. But probably a Papa Murphy's Cowboy pizza.

Last night he surprised me with having me order our favorite Shrimp Fried Rice for me and Chicken Yakisoba for him. :D Very good indeed!!!!
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Ayslhyn » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:39 am

Ohhh...pizza...shrimp fried rice....comes over all Homer Simpson.
Ayslhyn
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:42 am

Its that or chili!!! Oh I think I will have chili for lunch. A nice heaping bowl of chili with cheese on it. With a slice of multi whole grain bread to dip in it.
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Ayslhyn » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:44 am

Yummo I do love a good chilli. I'm sure m'lady posted a recipe but I haven't come across it yet. I'll stick in in the archive when I do.
Ayslhyn
Ranger of the North

Postby rwhen » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:49 am

Actually no, I have not posted the chili recipe here, I can't do it. It is a family recipe that I gave to you my dear and while I bet peoples would enjoy it, I would get arms and legs broken to pass it along. So keep that hidden in the vault. :P

Vanadarlin', hope whatever you have, you love and enjoy.

I don't know what I will have tonight. Maybe some leftover chicken and pasta from last night, but Vanadarlin', you got me thinkin' to order up a pizza for delivery too. I haven't done that in ages.

Pass on to Mrs A, that I would LOVE to come to supper tonight. :D oh and a wonderful hello and miss you to her as well please.

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Ayslhyn » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:57 am

Will do my dear and :oops: about the chilli.

These are lovely thick-cut pork chops bought from the farmer's market near the hospital I work at. They were a bit expensive ( is pork the cheapest meat in the US too? it is here by a long way) but worth it I'm sure.
Ayslhyn
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to The Library - General Archive