The TVM spends January in Barbados!

Find within old venerable threads locked for size reasons. Threads within may be from any category or forum outside of Adoptions and Fandom. This forum is Read-Only.

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:21 pm

It's a wonder no one has invented clear duct tape yet, they have all the other colors!

BTW: I asked Rob if he wanted to become a Sven, he declined saying he really only wanted to spoil one person. Sorry ladies. :P :rofl:

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck
I can't brain today. I have the dumb.

Postby heliona » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:17 pm

IrisBrandybuck wrote:It's a wonder no one has invented clear duct tape yet, they have all the other colors!

BTW: I asked Rob if he wanted to become a Sven, he declined saying he really only wanted to spoil one person. Sorry ladies. :P :rofl:

Iris, it sounds like you're going to need some duct tape (which I used to think was called "duck tape" :lol:) to keep Rob from being man-napped! ;) He's definitely sounding like a keeper. :)
Last edited by heliona on Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image<-- Cute Border Collie puppy for Cute animal month in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby notlistening » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:16 pm

Scribbles, so it's not the cold making your house crack? I think I would splinter and shatter at the temps you get there in Canadia! (we just had on a Michael Buble special and he was showing us around Canada.)

Tooks, you could fit an army on those beds! They are HUGE!!!

I'd settle for out of debt and enough money to visit you lot a few times. Oh and a TVM group tour of NZ by the Tygger! :D

Funny animals rampaging through the TVM...
notlistening
wandering not lost

Postby Morwenna » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:27 pm

Are those outdoor showers?? I'm in love!! :D
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Dubatuluk » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:29 pm

Uhhhhh..Scribbles, I seemed to have missed what happened that caused you to call insurance for claims. :shock: Everything okay? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH! Somehow I missed the page where you posted about the house. I hope that can be easily fixed hun!

DANG! I missed an entire page although I clicked on the correct link to get to said page...is someone messing with me? Am I on Candid Camera? Where am I and why am I in this hand basket?

:P

I use duct tape on nearly everything. My last pair of sunglasses was held together by regular silver duct tape for quite some time before they finally bit the dust completely. :P

I can't really catch up at this moment, but I'll get to it after eatage tonight.

:hihi: all!
Dubatuluk
Ranger of the North

Postby Calma » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:16 pm

My kitchen helper's son had a very important dr's appointment this morning so she didn't come in until noon. So that meant I was the one manning the kitchen. I was flying around that place like my feet were on fire. But I got it all done and at my usual time....

I tell ya, the old broad still has it... :D

Scribbles, I hope it's not your foundation. If I may be so nosey as to ask, is it a new house? Still under warranty? Hope you can get it fixed without too much out of wallet costs. I know it's going to be a major pain in the butt while it's fixed. Good luck to ya...

Hey, Tooks, what's up with the mutt these days?
He still mending well?

:hihi: nl... That new assistant still worth her salt and more?

:hihi: to the rest of ya...
Image My Very First LOL

Funny Animal Month in the TVM!! :D

Join the funWith The TVM

ImageCAT LOVERS GUILD :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

:yippie: MARINERS!!!!!

Let's hope for a better result next year

SOUNDERS!!!

:rose: Toni...Dannie…Ray-Ray…William...Waneta...Damon...David...Guy… rowan

Always looking for new posters for the TORC 365 PROJECT

Image Rock On!
Calma
Crazy Cat Lady

Location: Up the road, across the street, down the lane, and around the bend

Postby SilverScribe » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:20 pm

Dubatuluk wrote:DANG! I missed an entire page although I clicked on the correct link to get to said page...is someone messing with me? Am I on Candid Camera? Where am I and why am I in this hand basket?

:lmbo: :lmbo: No worries Dubs, I have days like that too . . . ;)

Morwenna, I was wondering about those showers my ownself! Although I'd be wondering about peeping toms, one of them looks to be below ground level . . . :shock:

nl, no it's not the cold. The window didn't crack during our severe cold snap, but on a relatively warm day (+7C). So we're suspecing it's a pressure crack, which means that the window is under too much stress from uneven settling, or something . . . Hopefully the "or something" isn't really, really bad. :(

Calma, wow, you're a wonder woman!!! And you're not being nosey; yes, it's a relatively new house. We built it in 2003 and moved in March of 2004. I think our New Home Warranty is still in effect, so if the insurance company advises us that we should go that route, we can. I seem to remember that the normal New Home Warranty period up here is 5 years, but our Builder paid for an extra 5 on structural, because they'd messed up a few (minor) things before we took possession . . . :roll:

I hope it's not the foundation my ownself. Our basement is finished . . . :shock:

I need a Sven and a Mojito . . . stat!!

:D:D:D
SilverScribe
Scribe, Wanderer, Warrior . . . Bard of Rhudaur and Herald of Manwe

Postby RoseMorninStar » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:14 am

Scribbles.. I sure hope it's not the foundation.. that causes a whole passel of trouble. :( And I hope it's under warranty yet too!

Hi Wenchie.. I hope you are feeling better.. typhoid? Is that due to the mission trip you went on?

Hello to everyone else.. sorry I don't have time to catch up with everyone.. but it's 4:13am and I need some sleep! I have an appointment in the morning.. well.. later this morning!

Bye...
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Gamgee Wench » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:04 am

:) Hi all!!!! :hihi:

I FINALLY have a "real" day off! Ever since the holidays, any spare moment I've had has been gobbled up by some task or event...but today I can do the things I need to do. Like post....and run errands, etc.

Scribbles.....sorry to hear about your house situation. Hope it's an easy fix and the house isn't "settling". That can be a mess.

Calma, your a wild woman! A one woman kitchen human! :D

Rose....no, I don't have typhoid (thankfully), I'm taking a preventative vaccine for it and I am having a slight reaction to it. We decided to do the oral vaccine because it was cheaper...but it's a live virus and some reactions can happen. The vaccine is for the trip we are taking in the beginning of March. We have to take all these wacky vaccines because we will be spending most of our time in the slums/barreo areas of the city, where these diseases are common.

Speaking of which, I'm really concerned about the earthquake in Haiti....I haven't been able to get in touch with my friend who runs the medical trip we are going on, but San Pedro de Marocis (where we will be running most of the medical clinics) is less that 200 miles away from Port a Prince. I'm sure we will have updates today about the impact to the Dominican, but such a sad situation. Haiti is mess anyway....it didn't need this.

OK...I still need to catch up a lot, but I will dangnabit!
Gamgee Wench
Mariner

Postby rowanberry » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:08 am

Hope the clinics haven't suffered any damage, Wenchie.

And, well, I wouldn't want to be famous in a way that would make it impossible even to go to the toilet without a bunch of paparazzi on my heels... :P But, I believe that top fashion designers for example can still live relatively in peace, it's usually those celebrities who wear their creations that the media is after.

This day has been quite boring. I've had very little to do, and after the office hours, I'll have to stay for a meeting. Hope it won't be too long.
rowanberry
+++Out Of Cheese Error+++

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:58 am

heliona wrote:
IrisBrandybuck wrote:It's a wonder no one has invented clear duct tape yet, they have all the other colors!

Iris, it sounds like you're going to need some duct tape (which I used to think was called "duck tape" :lol:) to keep Rob from being man-napped! ;) He's definitely sounding like a keeper. :)
I'll beat 'em all off with a bat! :D

There is a company that makes duct tape called the duck tape company or some such: http://www.duckbrand.com I used to think it was duck tape too...that's so much more interesting, isn't it?

:hihi: to everyone. Busy day today...no copy editor. Crud.

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:35 am

Been busy here, I see. :D

Should we stay another day at this nice place? I haven't yet explored all the grounds. Tis very nice, it is. :D:D:D

Otherwise...work is busy. :P

Calma, the mutt is doing fine. He goes back Monday for his last post-surgery check up. More x-rays. :roll:
Now we have to try to keep him from doing the same thing to his other leg.

I leave you with this image....

:D
Tookish_Traveler
Party-monger

Postby notlistening » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:21 pm

:rofl: Tooks, love that kitteh!!

nl... That new assistant still worth her salt and more?

Yep, she's still pretty good. Not sure how long I will have her for as lady on maternity leave will be back in March, though the boss may re-arrange us all and move her somewhere else...or maybe my own self. Not sure. Boss says it's still a ways off yet.

I am not going on my church camp this year as I don't want to spend a whole weekend where the old assistant will be. Is that wrong? Not to go just because of her? I don't really want to go anyway, this is just an excuse of sorts. I'd rather not spend the money and I don't want to travel that far for a weekend either. Lazy, is what you may call it.

Calma, you are WONDER-woman indeed! We'll get you a lasso soonish.

Scribbles, hope your house holds together!

Rowan, I'm with you. I'd rather not have spies with cameras following me either.

Heliona, are you snowed in yet?

Wenchie, glad you don't have typhoid! Not good! Sad for the Haitians though. As you say, they have enough problems. Is this part of the earthquake that hit California the other day?

notlistening
wandering not lost

Postby Dubatuluk » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:51 pm

Apparently the reason the quake hit Haiti is because they made a pact with the devil when they rebelled for freedom from the French. At least according to Pat Robertson. :roll:

I've been busy with the orclet today. 3 1/2 year olds are hard to keep up with even for me. :P

Calma, you never cease to amaze me dear. :hug:

Rowan, that's why I want my fame to be in books, even though paparazzi follow famous authors it's not near as bad as movie stars. :P

Tooks, I say we remain here for a while. I like those showers! :D OH and great kitty pic.

:lol: Iris! That's what you gotta do when you nab a great guy!

Wenchie, is this trip through your church or another organization entirely? It sounds interesting.

Rose, I hope you got some good sleep!

Heliona, I always thought it was Duck Tape as well. :lol: There's a t-shirt out there in the plethora of clever t-shirts that has a duck duct taped to a wall with duct tape over it's bill saying "Shut the duck up!" :roll: :P

Scribbles, use duct tape and rig a camera to tape your hubby's reaction! :twisted: :D

:hihi: to everyone I missed!
Dubatuluk
Ranger of the North

Postby Calma » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:29 pm

As for Pat Robinson and his beliefs, well, if I were to say what I thought, I would be banned for life....

He'll learn the truth of it at the end...

Yes, let's stay here another day...
I need the beach.

*takes blanket, umbrella, sunscreen, and picnic basket to the beach and enjoys herself.*
Image My Very First LOL

Funny Animal Month in the TVM!! :D

Join the funWith The TVM

ImageCAT LOVERS GUILD :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

:yippie: MARINERS!!!!!

Let's hope for a better result next year

SOUNDERS!!!

:rose: Toni...Dannie…Ray-Ray…William...Waneta...Damon...David...Guy… rowan

Always looking for new posters for the TORC 365 PROJECT

Image Rock On!
Calma
Crazy Cat Lady

Location: Up the road, across the street, down the lane, and around the bend

Postby Morwenna » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:48 pm

Speaking of Duck Tape (I'm in the SCA, which absolutely runs on duct tape), we have a mug that shows a cartoon of a duck tangled up in...duct tape. :)
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:01 pm

I had a friend who had a t-shirt that had a duck taped with the silver stuff across the front of the shirt. Cute!!
Image Spring come quickly!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby notlistening » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:07 pm

As for Pat Robinson and his beliefs, well, if I were to say what I thought, I would be banned for life....

who is this person that angers our Calma and Dubs? Is he some new breed of idiot? :cavetroll: This guy should be able to take care of him.

notlistening
wandering not lost

Postby SilverScribe » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:29 pm

Oh lordy, my heart just breaks for all those poor people in Haiti. They surely didn't need this type of disaster on top of all their other troubles.

Strangely enough, I've always known it was duct tape and not duck tape. A roadie, many many years ago explained to me that it's called "duct" tape because it's primary use is to seal the joins in heating ducts. :roll: Whoda thunk it? LOL.

RoseMorninStar wrote:And I hope it's under warranty yet too!

Yep. :) I just pulled our building file and the New Home Warranty on the "structural" goes to 2014. So we're covered, either way. :)

And good news, the insurance company didn't waste any time. They called me today and we have an adjuster/inspector (who will have a professional contractor with him) coming out on Friday afternoon. *whew* The sooner we find out what the problem really is, the sooner we'll know what's involved in fixing it. Hubby should be home by then and I've already spoken to my test lead and she's very much okay with me leaving early on Friday. We're supposed to be getting another "data fix" to check but I can always look at it from home if needed.

And, I may have Monday off in lieu of the time I worked when I was supposed to be on vacation before Christmas. :)

So, yes! Let's stay another day . . .

saunters off with a Sven and a jug of Mojitos in tow, finds a hammock and proceeds to relax and imbibe . . .

SilverScribe

Postby Vanaladiel » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:33 pm

That is cool that you will have not trouble at this point from the Insurance company and the inspector coming so soon. I am impressed.

Well we dropped the car off today to get the repairs from the wind damage last November. It appears that we wont have to pay for anything. We have a Kia Brondo to drive as the rental vehicle and it is nice. The landlord said they will pay for anything that the insurance does not pay for. He has already given us the $250 for the deductible and will pay us the balance before we pick up the car next week and that includes the new windshield. :clap: So our car should be good as new when we get it back!!! Yeah!!!!
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby SilverScribe » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:35 pm

Vana, that's great news about your car, I'm so glad the landlord has come through for you guys. :thumbsup: :D

Well, it's off to shower and bed for this Scribe.

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~
Fur meine Mutter . . . Sie sind für immer in meinem Herzen . . .

A song for our Fallen, but not Forgotten . . . Galadriel's Lament
SilverScribe

Postby Vanaladiel » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:36 pm

G'night darlin!! Sweet dreams and don't work too hard tomorrow hon!! :hug:
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby RoseMorninStar » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:51 am

notlistening wrote:

who is this person that angers our Calma and Dubs? Is he some new breed of idiot? :cavetroll: This guy should be able to take care of him.
He's an evangelist Christian leader. (a Televangelist) He once tried to run for president of the United States as a Republican/Conservative.
He has made so many absolutely bizarre statements over the years .. it frightens me that he still has such a strong following.

Scribbles, I'm glad everything is under warranty.

Vana.. I hope your vehicle repairs come out wonderfully.. it sounds like it's all going to work out well.

We use a lot of black electrical tape around here. It's weatherproof & hubby brings so much of it home in his pockets.. it's ubiquitous!!!
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby truehobbit » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:58 am

Calma, yay for managing the kitchen all on your own. You go! :thumbsup:

Vana, w00t, congrats on the car-news! :D

And Scribbles, glad to hear of the swift progress in getting to have your problem assessed - now here's keeping fingers crossed for Friday. :D

when they rebelled for freedom from the French

Hey, I thought the French were evil? So wouldn't rebelling for freedom from them be good? ... :roll: :twisted:

Is he some new breed of idiot?

I think that's an apt description, nl. :rofl: Though what's new is probably more his following than the fact that such idiocy exists.

When I heard of it on facebook yesterday I asked if it was real. I just couldn't imagine something so horrid getting any wide publication. I thought it was too bizarre even for the weirdo 'religions' you get in the US, and that it might be a parody of those weirdos. :shock: Well, apparently not. :roll:
I mean, there'd surely be loads of people here with similarly horrible ideas, but they'd have no chance to get them published to a nationwide echo. :shock: If they tried, they'd be smothered under a wave of public outrage. (I expect - at least that's what usually happens when someone tries to advertise hate-mongering stuff.)

ETA: I thought this might give you guys a chuckle. :)
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:37 am

How could you not like a place called
San Flamingo????

:D

There are lots of pillows. None of them are loud. 8)

LOL. Loved the Maxine cartoon, hobby. :D:D:D:D:D
Tookish_Traveler
Party-monger

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:38 am

FYI: my pastor just sent this information through on our prayerline:

The Alliance Responds to Haitian Disaster

Compassion and Mercy Associates (CAMA), the Alliance relief and development arm, is gearing up to assist survivors of the 7.0 earthquake that destroyed Port-au-Prince, Haiti’s capital, on January 12. According to a CNN report, the death toll may top 100,000. The hospitals are gone, and medical supplies are desperately needed. About 3 million people—one-third of Haiti's population —were impacted by the quake.

In partnership with parachurch organizations already on the ground, CAMA will provide immediate assistance—including clean water, emergency shelter, medical aid, and other necessities—as well as long-term help in rebuilding efforts, integrating Jesus’ message of redemption with practical acts of compassion.

“A compassionate response during a disaster tangibly expresses Christ’s love and opens doors for other ministries,” says Phil Skellie, CAMA’s president.

To donate to the Haitian Earthquake Relief Fund, please go to this link, scroll down, and click on the red “Give Now” box—

http://www.cmalliance.org/give/relief/

IrisBrandybuck

Postby rowanberry » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:45 am

And, another great place to stay for a day or two. 8) *throws herself on one of the king size beds*

Vana, that's good news about your car. :)

LOL Hobby! I can so subscribe to what the woman in that cartoon says! :rofl:

Yes, we should all donate something to some relief fund now, if we only can. My contribution goes to the Red Cross.
Image I'm judging MoST again this year! Ready for the opening banquet...

MoME 2013 results are in!

The Sons of Fëanor re-embodied in the beginning of the Fourth Age? Yes, for The Maedhros and Tygarya Saga – and, as fire-hearted as ever!

On my way to Morannon on the Walk to Rivendell and Beyond!

Shire and Shutter - the TORC photoblog

Thoughts about dance, life, and everything
rowanberry
+++Out Of Cheese Error+++

Postby Gamgee Wench » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:54 am

Well, when it comes to Pat Robertson, I think most Christians I know would advise he shut his yap and just go into retirement or something. The man must have a screw loose. After reading what he said I was sick….and to even suggest that the Dominican Republic is prosperous is beyond ludicrous and proves his delusion. Seriously, Christians get bashed enough without having him contribute to their bad reputation…..stupid man. Gets my underwear in a bunch it does (not a pretty sight, I gotta tell ya). Thankfully, he is the exception rather than the rule.

I’m just wondering if this whole thing is going to change the scope of the work we will be doing in the Dominican in March. I haven’t been able to reach my girlfriend to see what her contacts in Santa Domingo are saying. With over 15 doctors/nurses and such heading down there they might be used in other ways....should be interesting.

I'm loving all these wonderful places....and I'm loving Tooks signature. :rofl: Very tooks like.
Gamgee Wench
Mariner

Postby SilverScribe » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:05 am

Tookish_Traveler wrote:There are lots of pillows. None of them are loud. 8)

No kidding. By TVM standards, they're positively tame. But the place looks lovely, I could surely put my feet up by one of those pools for a day or two, no problem . . . "SVEN!!! I'll have a Pineapple Variation Mai Tai with my scrambled eggs this morning!!"

Hey, it's fruit juice . . . ;)

Wenchie, I hope things have settled somewhat before your trip.

We donate heavily to the Red Cross every year, and they're usually one of the first relief organizations on the spot with bottled water and packaged food for survivors in disaster areas, so I'm sure they're already in or very close to arriving in Haiti as we speak.

Ack, must run. Danged work . . .

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~
Fur meine Mutter . . . Sie sind für immer in meinem Herzen . . .

A song for our Fallen, but not Forgotten . . . Galadriel's Lament
SilverScribe

Postby Vanaladiel » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:08 pm

:shock: Wow they gots lots of pillows!!!

Pillow fight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grabs a pillow and lobs it at Scribbles then snatches up another one and lobs it at Tooks, while grabbing another one to lob at Rose.

Yes this place is absolutely lovely!!!!
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

PreviousNext

Return to The Library - General Archive