PCE Thread of Denial - 7th Act!

Find within old venerable threads locked for size reasons. Threads within may be from any category or forum outside of Adoptions and Fandom. This forum is Read-Only.

Postby Erufailon.Atanvarno » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:16 pm

So a few things I've been thinking about... (Is it a sign of PCE if I think about TORC while I'm not at my computer? :D )

Does this thread not accept people with JDE anymore? I remember that's what the title used to be a while ago...

Frelga, set your priorities straight. We need a party, and you are the person that can make it happen. 4 more to go!

Mm, rum and coke. I just had one actually. :D

On an unrelated side note, I'm now First Aid and CPR trained! We had an intensive, 2 day, 8 hour course that we had to take for work.
Erufailon.Atanvarno
Ranger of the North

Postby Frelga » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:37 pm

Rose, cult?

A religion or religious sect generally considered to be extremist or false, with its followers often living in an unconventional manner under the guidance of an authoritarian, charismatic leader.

Well, rwhen is charismatic. And we are pretty unconventional. Other than that, I don't see how we are a cult.

Eru, I feel so much safer now. If I pass out from excitement of getting me own ship... OK, on the second thought, maybe I won't.
Impressive. Every word in that sentence was wrong.
Luke Skywalker, The Last Jedi
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby RoseMorninStar » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:54 pm

Frelga wrote:Rose, cult?

A religion or religious sect generally considered to be extremist or false, with its followers often living in an unconventional manner under the guidance of an authoritarian, charismatic leader.

Well, rwhen is charismatic. And we are pretty unconventional. Other than that, I don't see how we are a cult.

Yes, I do think rwhen is the ringleader of our little cult. ;)

If I weren't so hurt, it would be funny.

Eru! Those first aid/CPR skills will come in handy when Frelga finally hits the BIG ONE and we ... maybe.. will just party just a little too much... hehehe
also with that cult stuff.. you know.. we can get pretty wild...
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Erufailon.Atanvarno » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:35 am

2 more? This is definitely planned and calculated fiendishness to amuse herself.

Here's a quote from the training: "Under the law, unconscious people have implied consent" :shock: That's one of those ones to be taken in context.
Erufailon.Atanvarno
Ranger of the North

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:22 am

And we're not false, either. ;)

Frelga...nice blue round shiny spiky thingy you got there. :D

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck
I can't brain today. I have the dumb.

Postby RoseMorninStar » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:29 am

Frelga made it!!! WOOT!! .... I gotta go find that party...
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Cock-Robin » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:38 am

Awww, Rwhen, you left me off your list. :cry2:

Congrats, Frelga, on that blue spiky thing. Maybe you'll see me with one...in about 900 years.

PCE? Me?????

Eep Opp Ork means I love you!

Meneldor, Warrior Bard, and Brondgast, Mithril Knights

Gwaeryn and Robin, The Expected Party

Meneldor, Alatar and Pallando, Darkness Reigns: The Resistance

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby rwhen » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:59 am

I knew I would forget someone CR. I shall amend that right after this post and it gives me a good reason to grovel at your hobbity feet. :D *grovel*

Rose, that is utterly ridiculous, but I do know that people think HP and LotR's are utterly evil, while they will let their kids watch Snow White and Sleeping Beauty or Beauty and the Beast. There is a difference? Yes we all know how practical it is that 7 dwarfs took care of a single young woman, in their home and then placed her in glass when she was poisoned by the evil step mother. That is normal, right? Very biblical. :roll:

*charismatic? Is it catchy, do I need pills for that?*

:hihi: everyone on the PCE.

Congrats to dear sweet Frelga lady on getting your marination!! Sail long and far and don't forget to come home for dessert!! :hug:

Eru, For one edition of this thread the JDE was added, but there weren't that many who professed Join Date Envy. So I let it go again, but it can easily be added to the title if we think it should be there.

Hi Iris. Good morning. How goes it in PA this day? Catch the bad guy yet? Hear from "you know who" yet?

TYGGGGGIESSSS!!! I want to know how to reach you. I have your old address of course and mine hasn't changed. But you are now nomadic and dunno where the mail should go to. THIS year Christmas will be different than last year, which was a surprisingly horrid time of the year for this company and me personally on finances. I still have the lovely stone that you gave me, I keep it next to my desk and rub it when I am stressed. :hug:

Ugluk, see you tomorrow sometime in the AM. And I did knock. (Nanny McPhee)

Fir-Bolg. Posting in Talk is a bit different, as you can see. Most people are only identified by where they post most often. I think as people get to know you here, and you get to know us, there will be a mutual comraderie. Again, welcome on thread. :D I am happy to have you here.

HOWDY HAPPY PCE BABIES!!! Play nice in the playpen. Or I will take your binkie. :P
Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!OldToby

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Time out of Mind, forever bound to my Knight Ayslhyn

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever :hug:
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby RoseMorninStar » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:03 am

rwhennie dear lady.. I don't know what it is with her.. I really don't think it's about the bible or anything.. *shrugs* must be senility.
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Vanaladiel » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:09 am

:hihi: Hi everyone!! Sorry I was gone so long. Just sort of our of sorts you might say and working too many weird hours. I am exhausted but headed out today for a nice medieval three day weekend. :clap:

:hug: To you Rose darlin. I have missed posting with you dear friend.

:hug: 143 :rose: To you Rwhen my SSOTH!!! Thank you for the PM. I hope that you, Ugluk and Luthy have a great time in Seattle this weekend. I wish we could join you but we already had these plans made with friends. :hug:

Welcome Fir-Bolg to the group.

Hello Iris!! :hihi:
Image Spring come quickly!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

We mourn the loss of another wonderful man from TORC! oldtoby we will always remember you and your wit and smile! Love you my friend! RIP 1/20/18

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby rwhen » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:14 am

*glomps on Vandarlin'*

Have the very best time and we shall raise a glass to you and Guru tomorrow at the Champagne Cafe in Seattle. :D Make it the very best SCA ever, many memories. :hug: to you my SSOTH 143.

Thank you for welcoming our newest member on the PCE and that goes for you too Rose friend. Love you both!! :heart:

Rose, I don't know either. But I do know that it is hurtful to you and family. I wish I had some magic all knowing answer. To me it DOES sound sort of religious though, but I don't know her. :hug: *passes over some chocolate rum stolen from Iris*

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Vanaladiel » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:40 am

Rose when I first traveled to meet someone from TORC, I would not tell my mom where I was going and why. She had been telling me all the bad things about the computer and chat rooms and how dangerous people are that you don't know. I just knew she would start in on me traveling and that something bad would happen to me or I would be killed by some psychotic nut case. So when she found out that I was going to Minneapolis she thought I was terribly sick and going to the Mayo clinic or something. :roll: I love my mom but I tell you she was being overly cautious. So I understand your mom saying that TORC is a cult. After my trip to Minneapolis I explained the entire thing to my mom and told her that these were people I had gotten to know pretty well through talks and sharing pictures and all. That we all are folks with a common interest in literature and that we found that we can have friends from all over the world. She doesn't speak on it anymore but she still cringes when I travel to meet someone new. Oh well, she will have to deal with it or I wont say anything.

She does know that I met Ryan over the internet at TORC as well and she loves him so I think time helps folks to understand. I guess we are all going to have to come visit you and meet your mom so she can see that we are not anything to be afraid of but that we are normal folks (well, as normal as any of us can be) but also that we are your friends that you just have not hugged yet.
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

We mourn the loss of another wonderful man from TORC! oldtoby we will always remember you and your wit and smile! Love you my friend! RIP 1/20/18

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Cock-Robin » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:47 am

Hi, Vana! I've always wanted to go to a Renaissance festival or other medieval gathering. I hope you have a lot of fun there. And I identify with weird schedules. I get them all the time where I work.

Eep Opp Ork means I love you!

Meneldor, Warrior Bard, and Brondgast, Mithril Knights

Gwaeryn and Robin, The Expected Party

Meneldor, Alatar and Pallando, Darkness Reigns: The Resistance

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby Vanaladiel » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:52 am

Yeah they seem to think I am the janitor and also the only one who seems to be able to do the closing at night so my schedule usually has me closing the store at least three nights a week including Monday night but I have to open the store on Tuesday morning so I am usually exhausted by Tuesday afternoon.
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Erufailon.Atanvarno » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:01 am

Vana, have a kick-ass time at the festival! :D

I can only imagine the reactions of my parents if I told them I was going to meet with people I met online. I guess the first reactions of any parent would be cautious, because they don't know and trust the people you've met, and don't know anything about them.

:hihi: everyone else! Class is starting, so I have to go.
Erufailon.Atanvarno
Ranger of the North

Postby rowanberry » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:20 pm

Have fun at the festival, Vana! 8)

And Rwhen, have a good time with Ugluk and Luthy! :)

I don't even remember if I said to my parents why I'm going abroad for a weekend when I went to my first moot. They know by now that the people I sometimes travel to meet aren't any crazy axe murderers, but they still don't quite understand why I have to be off to some other country to see them when I could as well sit at home and talk to them online. :roll:
rowanberry
+++Out Of Cheese Error+++

Postby RoseMorninStar » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:27 pm

I certainly can understand one's reservation about meeting people in the flesh that one has only made contact with online. I would be concerned if my own daughter would do the same & I would ask her several questions.

The thing is.. I don't think it has anything (really) to do with this message board in particular. I think it's a control issue. She doesn't like the books I read, she doesn't like the way I raise my daughter (she thinks I should've kicked her out on the street to fend for herself at 18.) I think she is envious of the time I spend on my family or anything that doesn't have to do with her. Honestly.. it's just silliness.
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby rwhen » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:39 pm

You know, Rose. I was going to say that it sounds like jealousy or envy, but I didn't know if it was okay to write. I said that about my mother too and my brother says it as well. We think she was or got jealous when we all left and lived good productive lives. Had things that she never had and didn't have to consult her for every little decision. We think that is what our parents should want, but obviously some have issues.

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby RoseMorninStar » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:44 pm

rwhennie..you've been there.. done that.. and I think you are absolutely right. I told my daughter that if I ever get like that to smack me upside the head (and not to stop) until I've come to my senses!
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby rwhen » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:17 pm

Indeed. And for the record. What the hell is wrong with seeing your children through college? Many many parents do it. If a kid agrees to go to higher education, shouldn't they be supported in that? I can see if the parents are not financially able to help, but to toss them out on their keester? Not having that at all.

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Fir-Bolg » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:18 pm

I hope this little interjection of my musings isn't out of turn. I'm not sure if they actually mean anything, but, here goes...

Mothers, daughters, sisters, brothers, jealousy is an over-riding emotion!

However, with respect to our parents, I think, at times, much of the fault is in ourselves. We so want our parents to be 'perfect' that when they fail to reach that unachievable goal, we resent them. We blame them for their inadequacies born from are own impossible expectations.

When I was a teacher, the complete lack of awareness parents, generally, had for their 'little darlings' was breathtaking. Machiavellian devils were cherubic angels in their eyes. It taught me never to trust a parent's description of their child.

Oh, and never to trust a child's description of their parent ;)
Fir-Bolg
Ranger of the North

Postby rwhen » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:43 pm

Fir-Bolg, there is truth in what you write, except we do know our Rose very well indeed and I trust that at her age, she is able to discern very well the machinations of her parent, as I was able to discern the craziness in my own oh so long ago now. I do know that when younger, children do not really understand parenting and parents. As well, parents see their children (for the most part anyway) as angels who everyone does wrong to and they can do no wrong.

I should think that as we mature and we have and raise our own children, that tends to temper with time. When we turn out children who now have children of their own, we should be pretty well past all of the *misunderstood* times and be able to appreciate our children and allow them to make their own decisions.

Unfortunately for whatever reason, it seems that some people really have a hard time of this and as that parent gets even older, they can really be a trial and difficult to understand. I wish that I had had a nurturing parent who saw the incredible accomplishments of my siblings and myself and who gave credit for the hard work and effort it took to get to where we ended up. But it wasn't in the cards for my family and our Rose is having a similar issue.

Sometimes the best thing we can offer a friend is support, to ease their suffering. I don't know her mother, but I sure know her and it is to she that I owe my loyalty. And she also knows that for the world I would never insult her mother and I am certain that the love bond between them is strong, if tried at this time.

I hope I said that right. :D

In any case, I actually do thank you for your post, it gave me reason to rethink my positioning and feel even stronger in it.

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Fir-Bolg » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:58 pm

I meant no disrespect to Rose. I'm not even sure if what I wrote was meant to apply to Rose. I don't think it was. More, it was a general musing on the disappointment of failed expectations!

I would like to add one more, probably irrelevant, thought. The machinations of children are often forgiven because it is children who do them. A lesson I think I've learned is that children are not so young to be dumb, nor adults so old to be wise. The differences we ascribe are, to my mind, somewhat illusory...
Fir-Bolg
Ranger of the North

Postby rwhen » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:08 pm

Fair enough. And well stated. I think I was using the "real time" experiences that our friend is going through as I read your previous post. Of course you are right when you write that "children are not so young to be dumb, nor adults so old to be wise". That is something that is a variable with each individual and their own life history.

;) We are all learning, hopefully up until we draw our last. My step father said the worst thing is life is not to be surprised any longer. May the surprises never stop for all of us.

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:41 pm

I'm not getting into this one. ;)

I still live at home, but it's for financial reasons mostly. I have a full time job that pays diddly. :roll:

anyhow...

wrennie wrote:Hi Iris. Good morning. How goes it in PA this day? Catch the bad guy yet? Hear from "you know who" yet?

PA is nice and cool and getting cooler. They caught the bad guy when he was dumb enough to steal a car and then call his ex-girlfriend (who was the reason he was in jail to begin with) on a stolen cell phone. :roll:

Haven't heard anything yet and probably won't. :)

And...it's official...I have bronchitis!!

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck

Postby Swordsman_Of_The_Tower » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:07 pm

Hey FB welcome to the thread.

I do not claim to know parenting or how to raise kids, and I don't hold any sort of grudge against my parents for anything. Me an my mother clash alot, (shes a bit overbearing) but I give them credit for doing what they did/still do with the circumstances they were given (having to take care of kids that were thrust upon them that weren't there's.) I never heard them complain once. They still help all of us out if we need it, I am mostly on loans at school, but my father helps and pays what he can, he did the same for all my siblings going to school. And If we are ever down and out, me and my siblings all know my parents will let us sleep on the couch and share some dinner :) I clashed with my parents my fair share, but I think I am growing out of it, as most of our "fights" now are not about them, but other things.

I got the dorm room alone this weekend, But got a lot of studying to do. I am entering a recipe contest at my school for a burger (if it wins it will be served at "The Perch", the campus bar/nightspot.)

Honest opinions. Anything you would add/subtract, any suggestions for cooking, or a "secret" ingredient.

Albuquerque Chile Verde burger

1 1/2 pounds 10/90 or 85/15 ground beef or Bison
1-2 crushed cloves of garlic
1 teaspoon of mild ground Chile, or Chile paste
dash of chile powder
dash of pepper
dash of salt
1/2 cup Monterrey cheddar, or Pepperjack cheese
4 roasted Green chiles, chopped or 8 tablespoons canned
1 red onion
1 Tomato
4 pieces of red-leaf lettuce
4 Sesame seed buns
salsa

Mix the meat in a bow with the garlic, chile powder, salt, pepper, and ground Chile or Chile paste. Shape into patties, grill until desired doneness. put cheese on buns, and toast lightly as burgers finish. Put burgers on buns, top each with onion, tomato, lettuce, chile, and salsa if desired.

Opinions welcome........:D

Also I have to say...........I spend 26.99 on a video game today, and I am so cheap I feel guilty when I do so. But the fact that a 12-13 year old boy was in front of me in line buying the following made me feel better.

A $300 XBOX 360 Elite (I have the cheapest version, which was $200 new)
Halo 3-ODST-$60
Call of Duty 4-Modern warfare-$60

And was pre-ordering Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare 2.

Where did he get all the money? The tooth fairy must be generous now a days. I remember being 12 and not even having a TV in our bedroom let alone all that stuff! Talk about parents.......
:roll:
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower
Ranger of the North

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:24 pm

I have no suggestions without first tasting it. :D

Hey, Lewie, I've been meaning to ask you where you got your banners in your sig?

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Swordsman_Of_The_Tower » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:29 pm

IrisBrandybuck wrote:I have no suggestions without first tasting it. :D

Hey, Lewie, I've been meaning to ask you where you got your banners in your sig?

Here ya go.

http://www.userbars.com/

There are a lot of other sites too if you can't find what your looking for, just search for "forum bars" or "sig bars" in google, and you'll get a bunch.
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower
Ranger of the North

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:35 pm

Cool! Thanks, I'll go look while I'm waiting for something else to do here at work. ;)

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Tygarya » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:18 pm

Ugluk wrote:
Tygarya wrote:Uggies!!!! Give us a huggies!!! It's been sooooo long ;) :twisted:

I don't know about "huggies", but I will settle for a knuckle-bump. Please thoroughly clean your hands with a moist towelette beforehand.

:wink:

Oh bother that!
*Tyg sweeps Uggies hand aside and smothers him in a huge hug*
So there :P :wink:

Rwhen - you make sure to give Uggles a big hug from me when you see him :D

TYGGGGGIESSSS!!! I want to know how to reach you. I have your old address of course and mine hasn't changed. But you are now nomadic and dunno where the mail should go to. THIS year Christmas will be different than last year, which was a surprisingly horrid time of the year for this company and me personally on finances. I still have the lovely stone that you gave me, I keep it next to my desk and rub it when I am stressed.

Yes i have sent a lovely little kitty to let you know my new mailing address ;)
Glad you use the stone and that this Xmas will be a happier one for you :hug:

Rose - haven't got an email yet? just checkin :)
Tygarya
Ringbearer

PreviousNext

Return to The Library - General Archive