PCE Thread of Denial - 7th Act!

Find within old venerable threads locked for size reasons. Threads within may be from any category or forum outside of Adoptions and Fandom. This forum is Read-Only.

Postby Erufailon.Atanvarno » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:42 am

:rofl:

:thumbsup: sounds like you guys had a blast! And leave it to Ugluk to pull something like that on you... :D I'm glad the weather cooperated for everyone's weekends.
Erufailon.Atanvarno
Ranger of the North

Postby RoseMorninStar » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:24 pm

I don't know that I've ever heard of a bad m00t. Maybe it's all that cult brainwashing .... :roll:

I do wish I could've been there. *sigh* From the few piccies on Facebook.. it looks like you had a great time.

Vana.. maybe you'll have to take a piccie of your dress... I'd love to see it.. or what the SCA camps look like.
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Swordsman_Of_The_Tower » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:29 pm

My insomnia was back with vengeance last night, fell asleep after 5 A.M.

Need some advice if anyone has any about something.

My roommate has invited me to over his house this Friday/Saturday to attend Shabbat service at his Synagogue with his family on Friday, and to spend the night and have dinner with them on Saturday. I am interested in going, but am not sure on the protocol. I have hardly met his parents, let alone the rest of his family, so there is that. They are re-constructionist Jews, and while are not the strictest followers, they get together at least once a month. ( my roommate I guess could be called practicing, but he is far from Orthodox, I'm guessing his family is the same)

Is it rude to decline (maybe he was wrong to invite a guest?) Ruder to say yes? What would/should I wear if I do go?, button down shirt and khakis are the nicest clothes I have here. What is appropriate behavior, I don't want to end up as "that guy" that does some no-no thing and offends everyone. I've been to Catholic services often, so I know how to behave in a service, but I've never been even in a Synagogue, let alone for a prayer service. At the very least I hope it will be an opportunity to see something new, meet his family, and have an experience. Who knows, maybe I'll get more out of it, I just don't want to offend anyone :wink:
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower
Ranger of the North

Postby RoseMorninStar » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:47 pm

Swordsman.. what an interesting opportunity.. we need to get Jnyusa or Frelga in here.. maybe Iris.. she's Jewish too, isn't she? Storyteller might be able to help... but I don't know if customs vary from country to country.
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Cock-Robin » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:49 pm

Vana, I'm glad you had a great time over the weekend. I, too would love to see your new dress and other pictures of what happened.

A cool cubby!

Meneldor, Warrior Bard, and Brondgast, Mithril Knights

Gwaeryn and Robin, The Expected Party

Meneldor, Alatar and Pallando, Darkness Reigns: The Resistance

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby rwhen » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:49 pm

Lewie. I can give you great advice. The only thing you need to do is be respectful. That is all. If you have an interest once you are there, then ask questions. Why do you do the candle thing, why do you do the bread thing the way you do.

I think that the Jewish faith is fascinating with the traditions and such. I would go just to have the experience of it all. He is your friend afterall, and I would bet that you would have a good time and good food on top of it all.

Frelga would be your best bet for information on the PCE thread.

CR. Didja see that I added you to the list on the front page? I did, I did. :D Please post here more often. I know you well enough, but I know that others would love to know you better. Well a bit, if you get my drift. I don't think anyone will ask for your social security number or anything. :P
Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!OldToby

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Time out of Mind, forever bound to my Knight Ayslhyn

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever :hug:
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby RoseMorninStar » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:04 pm

rwhen is correct.. I would think respect is the #1 'clothing' you should put on in such a situation. I once went to a Mennonite service... it's a sort of Amish. I wore my best dress, which might not have been the thing to do because it was a beautiful white floral dress.. too showy for the Amish who prefer to be dressed in drab clothing. But.. I was visiting it was all that I had and I don't think anyone was offended.
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby rwhen » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:20 pm

What Rose says is right too. Shabbat IS tradition, but not that formal. It is in the family home, not out in public. Most traditional Jewish people observe Shabbat. (didn't you ever see Fiddler?) So khaki pants would be fine with a button down shirt. And trust me, they won't judge you that hard. They won't.

If you are respectful and have an honest curiosity....that is all that is needed. Smile. Be happy. They will love you.

If you act as if they are SO different, which to them they certainly are not, it will be awkward, just be yourself.

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby GwenElf » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:46 am

Lewie-- What everyone else said about respect, plus this: If you're not sure, ask your roomie beforehand. Tell him you've never been to a Jewish service before and that you want to make sure you don't do anything disrespectful; I'm sure he'll be happy to fill you in. :) Let us know how it goes--sounds interesting to me!

Guys, I'm losing a battle with a cold. And with the cold, I might add! I had to close all my windows last night and wear socks to bed so I'd stay warm. Feeling like a wimp here. :whistle: I think there's some hot tea calling my name.

Happy Tuesday! :hihi:
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:28 am

Lewie: what everyone else said. :) Your roommate already knows you're not Jewish, so he'll be more than willing to help you navigate through the stuff you don't know. And everyone will make allowances for you if you remain polite and respectful. The handful of times I've been to catholic services, I found that the best thing to do was just be polite. I didn't participate in everything, but that was okay cause they knew I wasn't catholic.

I'm not Jewish either. ;)

Okay, this bronchitis is getting out of hand. :roll: I think the medicine is at least making the stuff work its way out, though.

<--Visiting the Arctic regions with the TVM!

Cats were once worshiped in Egypt. They have never forgotten this.

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck
I can't brain today. I have the dumb.

Postby RoseMorninStar » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:45 am

*Rosie sanitizes her keyboard & then hands Iris & GwenElf some hot tea with honey & lemon*

Lewie.. go for it! Enjoy it as a life experience!
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby GwenElf » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:58 am

Thanks, Rose! :) *Sips tea* Mmmmmmm....

Sterile :hug: for Iris!

Oh, and I forgot to mention: :rofl::rofl::rofl: at Ugluk and rwhen!
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby rwhen » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:40 am

Last word on Shabbat. I did some asking last night and this is usually a family meal folks. Not a service in a synagogue (although there are services like that). Lewie from what you wrote, you have been invited to a DINNER. That is normal. It is always Friday night and begins a day of rest that goes from sundown Friday to sundown Saturday. It is a "festive" meal that begins with a prayer called the Kiddush over wine and then prayers over bread.

After that it is all about the food, enjoying each others company, laughter and afterwards, some families have music and traditional dancing, which is slow and beautiful.

Did anyone see a movie with Melanie Griffith called "A Stranger Among Us"? It shows Shabbat being celebrated and it looks lovely, I would love to be invited to one. So Lewie, I say go and be open and enjoy yourself.

For Sil and Iris. ((snugglyhuggly)) Hope you both feel better soon and keep away from ME. :P Last thing I need is to get sick. :D

:hihi: to everyone on the PCE.

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:44 am

rwhen wrote:Last word on Shabbat. I did some asking last night and this is usually a family meal folks. Not a service in a synagogue (although there are services like that). Lewie from what you wrote, you have been invited to a DINNER. That is normal. It is always Friday night and begins a day of rest that goes from sundown Friday to sundown Saturday. It is a "festive" meal that begins with a prayer called the Kiddush over wine and then prayers over bread.

:rofl:

I KNEW that...I just forgot. :roll:

I think I need a nap.

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck

Postby Swordsman_Of_The_Tower » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:13 am

rwhen wrote:Last word on Shabbat. I did some asking last night and this is usually a family meal folks. Not a service in a synagogue (although there are services like that). Lewie from what you wrote, you have been invited to a DINNER. That is normal. It is always Friday night and begins a day of rest that goes from sundown Friday to sundown Saturday. It is a "festive" meal that begins with a prayer called the Kiddush over wine and then prayers over bread.

After that it is all about the food, enjoying each others company, laughter and afterwards, some families have music and traditional dancing, which is slow and beautiful.

Did anyone see a movie with Melanie Griffith called "A Stranger Among Us"? It shows Shabbat being celebrated and it looks lovely, I would love to be invited to one. So Lewie, I say go and be open and enjoy yourself.

For Sil and Iris. ((snugglyhuggly)) Hope you both feel better soon and keep away from ME. :P Last thing I need is to get sick. :D

:hihi: to everyone on the PCE.

You explained it way better then he did :D
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower
Ranger of the North

Postby rowanberry » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:22 am

:hug: Sil. Drink something warm, rest a lot, and get well soon!

Lewie, I can't add anything about the Shabbat service that the others didn't say already. But, in your place, I would accept the invitation without hesitation, just look what the others are doing, and do the same. And, I'm sure your roommate will advise you on things you're unsure of. :)

I passed Klonkku a few posts ago. Now, the next one to catch is Rodia, and that will take a looonnnngggg time...
rowanberry
+++Out Of Cheese Error+++

Postby Cock-Robin » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:39 am

Yes, Sil, stay warm and get well. We're all with you.

And I would also accept the invitation to the Shabbat. It should be interesting. It always reminds me of this scene from Fiddler on the Roof:

Sabbath Prayer

Of course, the actual blessing opening the Shabbat is in Hebrew. The woman of the house is the one who offers it.

I happened to look up something on the Shabbat observance from a site called Judaism 101, and it's quite interesting:

http://www.jewfaq.org/shabbat.htm

I hope that helps. And Rwhen, thanks for doing that. I'll try to be here more often. And it should help my....naw, I don't have PCE! Everybody just has more posts and blue and shiny thingys than me. :P

A cool cubby!

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby heliona » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:56 am

:hihi: I don't have PCE, no, no, no. ;):D

Good luck, Lewie. I'm sure you'll be fine. :)

I had something I was actually going to say, but my mind has gone blank! Oh well! I'll be back! :lol:
Image<-- Celebrating Science in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby rwhen » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:51 am

That happens to me all the time, heliona. I open to post and then get a bit distracted and wonder what it was I was going to say.

CR. No problem. And the first sign of PCE is denial of course. I think an intervention is called for. :P

:D

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby RoseMorninStar » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:14 am

I love, love, LOVE :love: Fiddler on the Roof!

PCE? Who? :whistle:
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby rwhen » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:23 am

Me too friend Rose. Fiddler is one of the all time favs for me. :D Did you ever see that movie "A Stranger Among Us?" If not, catch it someday, it is really good. I even own it. :whistle:

Naw, you have no PCE, none at all. :D

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:31 am

I feel sick. I want to go home. I don't have PCE.

:P

IrisBrandybuck

Postby rwhen » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:52 am

You have my permission, Iris. Go home. :P

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:53 am

You gonna pay me? :P

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Erufailon.Atanvarno » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:02 pm

:hug: Hugs of getbetterness for Sil and Iris!

Lewie, sounds like you have a lot of info now, and nothing to be scared of, you'll do great!

So, if denial is the first step, does that mean that anger should come next? I wonder if old-timers like rwhen have reached acceptance yet. :D
Erufailon.Atanvarno
Ranger of the North

Postby rwhen » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:04 pm

Nope, no pay, just go home. :P

Eru, if acceptance is the final in the 12 step program, then I am NOT there yet. :D I will NEVER accept my post count. Never I say. :pull:

:D

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Erufailon.Atanvarno » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:09 pm

12 steps? I only know about the 5 stage Kübler-Ross model
Erufailon.Atanvarno
Ranger of the North

Postby RoseMorninStar » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:38 pm

I think the 5 step is for grief (?) and the 12 step is for addictions Here is the 12 step from Wikipedia.

But WE don't have an addiction.. nope, nope, not us!
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby rwhen » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:04 pm

Indeed, I was speaking of the AA 12 step program.

The five step is as has been said, is the grief process.

Happy PCE Tuesday!!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Cock-Robin » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:28 pm

I love Fiddler on the Roof! I loved it since it first came out. I've got to look up "A Stranger among us." Sounds wonderful.

And no, I don't have PCE. Not me. Wrennie not accepting her post count? :? I don't accept it either. You are a lot closer to a double shiny than I'll ever be. :P

A cool cubby!

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

PreviousNext

Return to The Library - General Archive