The PCE thread - we're not just jam and Jerusalem!!

Find within old venerable threads locked for size reasons. Threads within may be from any category or forum outside of Adoptions and Fandom. This forum is Read-Only.

Postby heliona » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:10 pm

Vana, you're absolutely right. I think communication is key. Because we didn't have a telelvision, I grew up having meals around the table with my parents where we would discuss everything under the sun. And they always listened to my opinion, no matter my age. We'd have proper discussions and as a result, I grew up knowing that I could talk to my parents. :) Fortunately, I never really had to - I never really got into trouble that much. :D

Please don't mention exercise, Eari, I'm falling behind in my routine, too.
Last edited by heliona on Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image<-- Sir Gwaine representing the letter "G" in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby Swordsman_Of_The_Tower » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:18 pm

Had a history dept. honors society induction this afternoon. My rents drove out here, it was good :)

Our "speaker" was one of the Dr. in the department (the crazy ex-indiana jones like one :D) Who gave his famous "World History through bloopers" lecture.

My lord it was one of the funniest things I've ever heard in my life, the whole thing compiled through student essays, and typos. I wish I could remember more of it but.

"The Hebrews believed in a bunch of gods, till they met the Jews" :D

"Joan of Arc built a boat and put two of each animal in it" :D

"The Arabian peninsula is the second largest island in the world, except for a Australia, which is a continent, so I guess it is the biggest." :D

"The Chinese study confusianism, and take tests to get into the samurai system" :D
:rofl: :rofl:
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower
Ranger of the North

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:55 am

:rofl:

We're having a problem with one of the towns we cover...in fact, the one where the main office is. The Code Enforcement Officer will say something stupid, or just wrong, and when it gets printed in the paper, he calls and complains that the reporter lied. Yeah. He pulled it with me, he's pulled it with the regular reporter on that beat. Yesterday the other reporter did an phone interview with CEO about the ethanol plant. Today the Dept. of Environmental protection calls and says everything in the article was wrong and that the CEO told them he'd "shown the reporter the information." In a phone interview? Then the borough manager called and threw a fit (all this to the editor, who's on deadline.) The manager said the reporter "always gets things wrong" and the editor said, "So why haven't you called before?" :)

*sigh*

Otherwise, it seems like it's going to be a nice day...

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck
I can't brain today. I have the dumb.

Postby heliona » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:30 am

Iris, are you able to record phone conversations? I would think that having the interview on tape would go a long way to showing that he was wrong and you were right. :)

(All our calls are recorded at work, so that we can listen back to anything in case we missed a vital piece of information - unfortunately, I've now got into the habit of thinking all my phone calls are recorded and quite often after a conversation think, "Wait, what did they say again?" because I've not been paying full attention. :bang:)

I hope the day gets better.

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:31 am

No, it's an old system. We can record meetings, though, and most of us do with this particular council.

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck

Postby heliona » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:47 am

Yes, it does sound like it'd be worth it! :shock:

heliona

Postby rwhen » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:06 am

Lewie, that sounds like it was so much fun and congrats!!! :D

Iris, seems like that is a by product of the job. People feeling that they were poorly represented. Sorry you have to deal with it.

Hello PCE heads!!

heliona, I agree with you.. I don't even want to start thinking about how much I NEED to work out and get my body fit. ;)

:hihi:

Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Time out of Mind, forever bound to my Knight Ayslhyn

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever :hug:
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Cock-Robin » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:58 pm

I'm so far out of fit right now, I'd probably fall over dead if I tried to work out now. And Iris, I'm sorry to hear about that. Can't win for losing.

So where'd everybody go? This place is usually jumping when I'm gone. :?

I love french toast, too!

Meneldor, Warrior Bard, and Brondgast, Mithril Knights

Gwaeryn and Robin, The Expected Party

Meneldor, Alatar and Pallando, Darkness Reigns: The Resistance

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby RoseMorninStar » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:01 pm

Present & accounted for.. however.. only in a fuzzy kinda way. I've been feeling 'off' lately.. and the vacuum cleaner is calling my name...
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby GwenElf » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:20 pm

CR, we heard you'd be gone so we stopped. ;)

I'm reading Varro's "On Agriculture", which is just about as thrilling as Cato's "On Agriculture." :P With any luck, this'll help me improve my skimming abilities. :whistle:

:hug: Rose! I hope you feel more "on" soon!
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby Vanaladiel » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:23 pm

Gwenny I figured out some time ago that if kids and their parents didn't have some challenges, mothers would never let their kids move out or away. But because we have the challenges, we help them pack their bags. ;) :P

It is the nature progression of things so that we cut the apron strings and set out children free to be on their own. Otherwise we would eat our young!!
Image Spring come quickly!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Storyteller » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:25 am

IrisBrandybuck wrote::rofl:

We're having a problem with one of the towns we cover...in fact, the one where the main office is. The Code Enforcement Officer will say something stupid, or just wrong, and when it gets printed in the paper, he calls and complains that the reporter lied. Yeah. He pulled it with me, he's pulled it with the regular reporter on that beat. Yesterday the other reporter did an phone interview with CEO about the ethanol plant. Today the Dept. of Environmental protection calls and says everything in the article was wrong and that the CEO told them he'd "shown the reporter the information." In a phone interview? Then the borough manager called and threw a fit (all this to the editor, who's on deadline.) The manager said the reporter "always gets things wrong" and the editor said, "So why haven't you called before?" :)

*sigh*

Otherwise, it seems like it's going to be a nice day...

Reminds me of an apocryphal story about the Jerusalem Post, with their infamous propensity for mishaps. One day their editor got a phone call from an irate subscriber who complained that his name had been mistakenly printed in the obituary column.
"Really?" replied the unperturbed editor. "And where are you calling from?"
"...Their aim in war with Germany is nothing more, nothing less than extermination of Hitlerism... There is absolutely no justification for this kind of war. The ideology of Hitlerism, just like any other ideological system, can be accepted or rejected, this is a matter of political views. But everyone grasps, that an ideology can not be exterminated by force, must not be finished off with a war.” - Vyacheslav Molotov, ""On the Foreign Policy of the Soviet Union", 31 October 1939
Storyteller
Mariner

Postby earendil81 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:35 am

Rwhen, I understand the feelings about not being fit. As far as I am concerned I am not so much concerned but stressing a little about it because of the wedding :lol:. While I don't intend to starve myself I would like to look my best on that day and I just need to tone a little. After all I used to practice volley ball, iceskating and rollerblading at least 15 hours a week :roll:... Now I feel so lazy :lol: :lol:.

Heliona, our calls are recorded as well... It does not stress me more than that because there is no question of life or death in the job I am doing. Worst case scenario, someone will have to cancel an order and we'll refund them, but I am a perfectionist so...

Gotta run, still have to brush my teeth before leaving.
see you around ;)
Never forgetting those who have passed into the West :rose:

Sharing a story with Rholarowyn: Once There Were Words

Laesha is taking her first steps in the RP world with Eilathen and a bunch of great characters in The Expected Party
Fan of Redemption: the Reckoning

Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you
I have been changed for good.

It's funny how some distance
Makes everything seem small
And the fears that once controlled me
Can't get to me at all
It's time to see what I can do
To test the limits and break through
No right, no wrong, no rules for me
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:35 am

Story: :rofl:

Well, the reporter talked to the borough manager who claimed the code officer told her a different story, but then also said he should get things in writing from the code officer. I think he's been pulling this an awful lot and she finds herself doing damage control. He should never have been hired, he hasn't even passed all of his required tests! :roll:

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Swordsman_Of_The_Tower » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:12 am

Hey everyone :hihi: :hihi:

School is crazy and is kicking my rear lately, so not much time to post, got a lot to do in the next few weeks. I have been lurking a bit though, so just driving by to say hello!
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:20 am

Take care Lewie and you go kick some school butt too!!! :thumbsup:

So have you finished Spring break already?? Wow if so that was too fast.
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby RoseMorninStar » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:39 am

Spring breaks do go so fast! My daughter has spent most of her time doing homework for big upcoming projects and having her wisdom teeth out (and moving into another dorm room). She really hasn't had much of a 'break'. :(
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Vanaladiel » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:51 am

Days off go even faster it seems. Maybe because it is only a day or two and spring break is about 7 days. :P

Oh that is cool that Mica is getting a gift for her roomie. Maybe something for the bathroom like bath salts or a candle for the room?
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Swordsman_Of_The_Tower » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:06 pm

RoseMorninStar wrote:Spring breaks do go so fast! My daughter has spent most of her time doing homework for big upcoming projects and having her wisdom teeth out (and moving into another dorm room). She really hasn't had much of a 'break'. :(

That's great that she got to switch rooms!

Another double?
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower
Ranger of the North

Postby rowanberry » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:46 pm

I was going to say something that probably would have been relevant, but forgot what it was. :roll: My brain doesn't function properly on a Friday evening after a busy week. :P But now, all the most important things have been taken care of.
Image I'm judging MoST again this year! Ready for the opening banquet...

MoME 2013 results are in!

The Sons of Fëanor re-embodied in the beginning of the Fourth Age? Yes, for The Maedhros and Tygarya Saga – and, as fire-hearted as ever!

On my way to Morannon on the Walk to Rivendell and Beyond!

Shire and Shutter - the TORC photoblog

Thoughts about dance, life, and everything
rowanberry
+++Out Of Cheese Error+++

Postby Vanaladiel » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:14 pm

Oh Rowan, well you get some rest and maybe you will remember what it was you wanted to share with us hon!!! :hug: :D
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby GwenElf » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:19 pm

Rowan, my brain never functions at all, so at least you're ahead of me! ;)

Speaking of not functioning, I ordered three books from Amazon last weekend; one of them, which I don't need for a few weeks and which was shipped standard speed, arrived within three days; the one I need ASAP and ordered with Priority shipping has not arrived yet, and it's been five days. Which means I won't get it until Monday at the earliest. And USPS still claims it's in transit to my house, but my mail has already come and it wasn't there. Grar. :roll:

It's a good thing I can get all the text off the internet for now, but I want my commentary, darnit!!

...anyhow, how's everyone else's weekend going?

:hihi:
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby Vanaladiel » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:50 pm

Too fast!!! That is how my weekend is going.
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby rowanberry » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:30 am

Certainly too fast.

Otherwise, I've been having a good weekend. The hubby and I went out yesterday evening, which doesn't happen too often, for several reasons.
Image I'm judging MoST again this year! Ready for the opening banquet...

MoME 2013 results are in!

The Sons of Fëanor re-embodied in the beginning of the Fourth Age? Yes, for The Maedhros and Tygarya Saga – and, as fire-hearted as ever!

On my way to Morannon on the Walk to Rivendell and Beyond!

Shire and Shutter - the TORC photoblog

Thoughts about dance, life, and everything
rowanberry
+++Out Of Cheese Error+++

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:43 pm

Sil, I understand that kind of frustration. :hug:

:hihi: everyone. It's raining right now...I mean raining. Wow!

Went to Altoona yesterday with Rob. and just 3 miles from my house we saw a ringed-necked pheasant! :D They're pretty rare, so that was incredibly exciting. It was nice to be able to spend time in town together without pouting teens. :P

IrisBrandybuck

Postby GwenElf » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:12 pm

:shock: Aaaaaaaaaahhhh oh my gosh I'm finally caught up on Castle and I think I'm about to have a heart attack after that last episode!!!!!!!1111one :shock:

*collapses in puddle, heart still thumping*

Oh, also, my book came!! :D

......after I'd printed off and read all the Latin. Go figure. Oh well, at least now I've got the commentary and can go back and double-check my trouble spots.
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby Vanaladiel » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:30 pm

Gwen I am glad your book came hon. I hate when you pay extra for some service and still you don't get what you pay for. :angry:

Iris it has been pouring here since yesterday afternoon. I mean really pouring. The wind whipped up too and tore up my Honeysuckle plant and bent up my trellis. I guess I will have to get another one now. An expense I was not counting on. Oh well!!!!

I am glad you had a great weekend Rowan dear. We went out to dinner at Johnny Carino's (an Italian place) very very good!!!! We both really enjoyed it!!!
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Cock-Robin » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:59 pm

Johnny Carino's? I just LOVE that place! It has great Italian food.

I love french toast, too!

Meneldor, Warrior Bard, and Brondgast, Mithril Knights

Gwaeryn and Robin, The Expected Party

Meneldor, Alatar and Pallando, Darkness Reigns: The Resistance

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby Vanaladiel » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:01 pm

Yes it does. I prefer it to Olive Garden now!!! :thumbsup:
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:05 am

Heresy!

:P

OG is okay, Rob loves it, but I like smaller places better.

Vana, we have sunshine this morning...it was supposed to rain and/or snow, but that seems to have bypassed us.

IrisBrandybuck

PreviousNext

Return to The Library - General Archive